View Full Version : DC's Texas Football Magazine Prediction for the SLC

Catatonic
June 20th, 2014, 11:59 AM
SELA
Sam Houston
McNeese
UCA
Incarnate Word

No real surprises in the top 4, although one might quibble about who is second best behind SELA.

UIW at number five is a bit of a shocker though. UIW has good coaching, has recruited well and has lot of young talent returning that started last year out of necessity. Still, I would not have picked them to finish in the top half of the conference just yet, ahead of SFA, Northwestern, Lamar and newcomers ACU and Houston Baptis.

lionsrking2
June 20th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with Incarnate Word when we played them last year ... very well-coached with good young talent. 5th is a bit strong, especially ahead of Lamar and NW State, but wouldn't surprise me if they get things ramped up in the not too distant future.

Good recruiting base, solid coaching staff, and Tom Benson money = potential for success.

Sammy94
June 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
SELA
Sam Houston
McNeese
UCA
Incarnate Word

Here is my take:

SLU
McNeese
SHSU
Lamar
SFA
ACU
UCA
Northwestern St.
Incarnate Word
Nicholls
HBU

Texas
June 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM
SELA
McNeese
SFA/UCA/SHSU
Lamar
ACU
NWST
IWU
Nicholls
HBU

Too hard to rank SFA, UCA, and Sam because of coaching changes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Panther88
June 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Too hard to rank SFA, UCA, and Sam because of coaching changes.

I agree. HBU is very young team. 2015, I expect better representation from them.

Nickels
June 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
SELA
Sam Houston
McNeese
UCA
Incarnate Word

No real surprises in the top 4, although one might quibble about who is second best behind SELA.

UIW at number five is a bit of a shocker though. UIW has good coaching, has recruited well and has lot of young talent returning that started last year out of necessity. Still, I would not have picked them to finish in the top half of the conference just yet, ahead of SFA, Northwestern, Lamar and newcomers ACU and Houston Baptis.
Lamar has won no more than 2 conference games since they returned. Their coach sucks and they aren't improving. HBU has a very long way to go. How could you possibly have them above IWU? IWU beat ACU in their final meeting last year. IWU also progressed a lot from 2012-2013.

lionsrking2
June 20th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Lamar has won no more than 2 conference games since they returned. Their coach sucks and they aren't improving. HBU has a very long way to go. How could you possibly have them above IWU? IWU beat ACU in their final meeting last year. IWU also progressed a lot from 2012-2013.

Disagree concerning Lamar. They were much improved last year and return the bulk of their team, including a good QB. Remains to be seen if they can elevate into the top 3 or 4, but they're definitely a dark horse candidate in my view.

Nickels
June 20th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Disagree concerning Lamar. They were much improved last year and return the bulk of their team, including a good QB. Remains to be seen if they can elevate into the top 3 or 4, but they're definitely a dark horse candidate in my view.
It's the same story every year with Lamar. "Next year.....". RayRay will never allow that program to be successful. He's a loser at heart. They don't have a single mediocre win since their return and wont until he's gone.

Texas
June 20th, 2014, 05:17 PM

To be fair ACU was playing for nothing but that could go both ways.

Lamar did hold their own against McNeese, UCA, and against us.

Catatonic
June 20th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Texas Football top to bottom prediction for the SLC:

1. Southeastern La.
2. Sam Houston
3. McNeese
4. Central Arkansas
5. UIW
6. Northwestern State
7. Lamar
8. ACU
9. Stephen F Austin
10. Houston Baptist
11. Nicholls

BEAR
June 21st, 2014, 08:28 AM
Texas Football top to bottom prediction for the SLC:

1. Southeastern La.
2. Sam Houston
3. McNeese
4. Central Arkansas
5. UIW
6. Northwestern State
7. Lamar
8. ACU
9. Stephen F Austin
10. Houston Baptist
11. Nicholls

that looks good. I think UCA should be higher because they don't play the Cowboys. Our offense will score but our defence will be suspect unless things have changed since the spring game. Sam shouldn't be that high. Even with all our injuries we handled them and they lost a ton of talent. SELA should take top spot.

LUSportsFan
June 21st, 2014, 11:30 AM
It will be interesting to see how close the projection is to the actual results. I agree with the upper part of the projection. I think UIW may be slotted a little high. The other Cardinals had a 6-5 record last year in their first year of D-II to D-I transition, but all the wins were against 5 true sub D-I teams, another D-II to D-I transitioning team (ACU), and a program playing an inaugural shortened developmental season (HBU).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the season.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2014, 08:26 AM
ACU assumed there was no need to prepare for a second game against UIW after beating them by 30 plus points two weeks earlier. Big mistake. UIW has some talent and will up and bite you in the butt if you overlook them, which is exactly what they did to us when we played them a second time.

To be fair ACU was playing for nothing but that could go both ways.

Lamar did hold their own against McNeese, UCA, and against us.

Catatonic
June 22nd, 2014, 08:41 AM
that looks good. I think UCA should be higher because they don't play the Cowboys. Our offense will score but our defence will be suspect unless things have changed since the spring game. Sam shouldn't be that high. Even with all our injuries we handled them and they lost a ton of talent. SELA should take top spot.

I like SELA and McNeese 1-2. Sam and UCA both have new coaches and systems. Hard to know how they will respond. Sam has to replace a ton of starters and has no clear starting QB going into fall. UCA has a lot of players coming off injuries. Both have enough talent to be near the top but picking one over the other is tough IMO.

SFA intrigues me. New proven Coach and new system. May show dramatic improvement over last year with the coach's son at QB. Probably a good recruiting year or two away, but who knows?

ACU's all-offense-all-the-time playing style may change a bit this year with an experienced D and the loss of 70% of the Cats offensive production. New QB. new running backs. New wide outs. Two redshirt freshmen tackles. I like the talent at those spots, but expect a learning curve as they gain game experience.

BEAR
June 22nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
I like the fact we have a really good offense coming back, but how will the players buy into the new system? What kind of players is this new coach recruiting? Yeah they all look good on paper, but are they SLC material?

SELA
McNeese UCA Sam
SFA Lamar
on and on

looking at it unless SELA has a slip up or lost critical players, they are the favorites. I expected more last year in our game with them but the injuries were just too many. Let's see how our defence can contain their run or pass game this year.

Let's get this started!

lionsrking2
June 23rd, 2014, 04:02 AM
I like the fact we have a really good offense coming back, but how will the players buy into the new system? What kind of players is this new coach recruiting? Yeah they all look good on paper, but are they SLC material?

SELA
McNeese UCA Sam
SFA Lamar
on and on

looking at it unless SELA has a slip up or lost critical players, they are the favorites. I expected more last year in our game with them but the injuries were just too many. Let's see how our defence can contain their run or pass game this year.

Let's get this started!

Just remember, we were picked 4th and 5th by the SID's and Coaches in last year's preseason poll so anything can happen ... seems like every year, somebody makes a jump. It'll be interesting to see who steps up in 2014.

SFA 93
June 23rd, 2014, 06:02 AM
I agree, back in 2009 SFA was picked dead last in the SLC and won it all.

SLC is wide open.

McNeese75
June 23rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
I agree, back in 2009 SFA was picked dead last in the SLC and won it all.

SLC is wide open.

It always is xnodx

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2014, 12:08 PM
I am surprised that Nicholls State is 11th. While I understand their history as of late, they have gotten more competitive with each passing year and would be relatively surprised to see them in the 10th or 11th spot this year.

My only concern as always is that their out of conference puts them in a rough spot with three FBS games and one non-Div I game. Probably more so this year than past years with 6 of first 7 games on the road (with only home game being non-Div I). That brutal stretch will not do Coach Stubbs any favors. Wonder if that played into things...

McNeese75
June 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
I am surprised that Nicholls State is 11th. While I understand their history as of late, they have gotten more competitive with each passing year and would be relatively surprised to see them in the 10th or 11th spot this year.

My only concern as always is that their out of conference puts them in a rough spot with three FBS games and one non-Div I game. Probably more so this year than past years with 6 of first 7 games on the road (with only home game being non-Div I). That brutal stretch will not do Coach Stubbs any favors. Wonder if that played into things...

It their QB is rolling then they may smack somebody in the face this year.

SFA 93
June 23rd, 2014, 07:51 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/sasu/graphics/sfa-splash-062314.jpg

lionsrking2
June 24th, 2014, 02:15 AM
It their QB is rolling then they may smack somebody in the face this year.

Figaro is the real deal. If Nicholls can make strides defensively, they'll cause some headaches for sure.

SFA 93
June 24th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Team using this for motivation...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqxvr_OCcAAYG9G.jpg:large

McCowboys
June 25th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Team using this for motivation...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqxvr_OCcAAYG9G.jpg:large
I, for one, will not overlook SFA. IMO the Lumberjacks have had some of the best talent in the SLC for years. What was lacking (for the most part) was coaching, and now the Jacks have an outstanding coach. I know SFA has a transfer quarterback. What other losses/gains will affect SFA and (besides better coaching) what will be the strenghts/weaknesses of this year's team?

SFA 93
June 25th, 2014, 06:44 AM
The offense will be more of a balance attack with the QB taking snaps under center, TE's for the first time in a decade at SFA will be used, the offensive line is bigger and stronger, a ton of transfers.

The defense is a question mark as it gets pretty much a whole new look in personal in a 4-2-5 formation, but hey when you have the worst defense in the FCS how can you not improve.

Jeremy Moses is the only returning coach on the staff, this his 3rd year.

Team should look something like this

WR:#1
Tyler Boyd
5-10
Sr.
GP:26;REC:91;YDS:1,363;AVG:15.0;TD:9

WR:#9
DJ Ward
5-11
Sr.
GP:23;REC:123;YDS:1,571;AVG;13.0;TD:11

OL:#72
Travis Wiggins
6-4
So.
GP:8

OL:#76
Byron Williams
6-4
Jr.
GP:23

OL:#68
Anthony Pullins
6-3
So.
GP:8

OL:#64
Jeremy Neff
6-4
Jr.
GP:15

OL:#75
Terran Vaughn
6-3
Jr.
GP:22

TE:#86
Will Taylor
6-4
Fr.

n

QB:#2
Zach Conque
6-5
So.

RB:#6
Gus Johnson
5-10
Sr.
GP:31;R:375;YDS:2,224;AVG:6.0;TD:28;REC:40;YDS:254 ;TD:1

WR:#81
Aaron Thomas
6-1
Jr.
GP:22;REC:72;YDS:1,042;AVG;15.0;TD:8

DE:#98
Ismiah Miles
6-2
Sr.
GP:21;TKL:67;SCK:10.0;TFL:18.5;FF:1;FR:1;PD:0;INT: 0

DT:#90
Shayvion Hatten
6-4
Jr.
GP:12;TKL:46;SCK:0.0;TFL:5.5;FF:0;FR:0;PD:3;INT:0

DT:#92
Lance Skyler
6-2
Jr.
GP:24;TKL:60;SCK:1.0;TFL:6.5;FF:1;FR:1;PD:0;INT:0

DE:#97
Kedrick Harrison
6-2
So.
GP:12;TKL:23;SCK:2.0;TFL:5.0;FF:2;FR:1;PD:0;INT:0

LB:#50
Rodney Young
6-1
Sr.
GP:27;TKL:39;SCK:0.0;TFL:2.5;FF:0;FR:0;PD:1;INT:0

LB:#40
Collin Garrett
6-2
Sr.
GP:21;TKL:184;SCK:0.5;TFL:14.0;FF:1;FR:0;PD:4;INT: 3

n

LB:#15
Marvin Gray
6-1
Sr.
GP:22;TKL:41;SCK:0.0;TFL:2.5;FF:0;FR:1;PD:4;INT:0

CB:#20
Maurice Poullard
5-11
Sr.

S:#33
Trey Vallier
6-0
Sr.
GP:32;TKL:91;SCK:0.0;TFL:0.5;FF:2;FR:0;PD:11;INT:4

S:#43
Nick Bryant
5-10
Sr.
GP:23;TKL:28;SCK:0.0;TFL:0.0;FF:0;FR:1;PD:2;INT:0

CB:#7
Corporan Hipolito
6-1
So.

n

K:#42
Jordan Wiggs
5-10
Sr.
GP:33;FGA:63;FGM:46;FG%:73.0;LNG:42;PATS:129-135(95.6)

P:#45
Nick Bruno
5-10
Jr.
GP:23;P:103;AVG:40.0;TB:2;IN20:32;50+:14;LNG:76

n

TheRevSFA
June 25th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I'm going to miss Gus when he graduates.

Also, I was always shocked that Tyler Boyd wasn't given a chance to QB.

BEAR
June 25th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Get ready to use the term "bubble screen" more than you EVER wanted to.... Clink Clonk loves him some bubble..but that defense had better be MUCH better than last year.
In our game vs. SFA we averaged nearly 7 yards per rush and 20 yards per completion. That's weak on rush and pass defense.

But the good news for SFA fans is there are a ton of SRs on that team looking at that list above. Might make the difference.

Tell Zach I said hello. Kid will amaze you. 6'5"? Must have eaten some good beans in Texas..daddy ain't that tall!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to miss Gus when he graduates.

Also, I was always shocked that Tyler Boyd wasn't given a chance to QB.

Boyd would have been a really good QB. Guy could throw and catch! He hit one for a TD against us for 73 yards.

SFA 93
June 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZXbMmqwZM

McNeese72
June 27th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Is this photo an omen???

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/stadiumrainbow.jpg

Nah. We are still going to suck. ;)

FormerPokeCenter
June 27th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Oh, that's AWESOME!

Texas
June 28th, 2014, 02:16 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/sasu/graphics/sfa-splash-062314.jpg

Now that's hilarious.

SFA 93
June 29th, 2014, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoVPCF5Fxw

SFA 93
July 3rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Abilene Christian (FCS - TX): Offensive line coach Sam Collins has accepted a position on the staff at Denton Ryan High School (family considerations). The offensive line position at ACU is open.

Catatonic
July 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Abilene Christian (FCS - TX): Offensive line coach Sam Collins has accepted a position on the staff at Denton Ryan High School (family considerations). The offensive line position at ACU is open.

This came as something of a surprise so close to fall camp. Fortunately, our OC Nate Young is a former line coach who mentored Sam and can fill in until we find a replacement. One option is to shift responsibilities a bit and let Nate coach the line and hire a rb coach, Nate's current assignment.

SFA 93
July 6th, 2014, 06:10 PM
SFA lost their defensive ends coach and just hired...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1344524162/186972_574270703_3993776_n.jpg
Thomas Howe

HOMETOWN: Clinton, Iowa
ALAMA MATER: Drake University (2004) BA; Iowa State (2010) MA
POSITION: Assistant Coach (Defensive Ends)

Stephen F. Austin (2014-Present) Defensive Ends
Central Oklahoma (2013) Special Teams
Missouri Southern (2011-2012) Defensive Line
Minnesota-Duluth (2010) Linebackers/Defensive Line
Iowa State (2007-2009) GA Offense
Drake University (2006) Defensive Line
Minot State (2005) Linebackers and Defensive Tackles
Clinton High (2004-2005) Assistant Coach
Drake University (2001-2004) 3 Year Starter Defensive Line (All-Conference Player)

BEAR
July 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Conque loves finding those unknown coaches and giving them chances. Good hire!

JohnStOnge
July 7th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I'd put SELU first and McNeese second. I can't see putting SHSU second due to all the key people they lost and the coaching change. The big question mark at McNeese is quarterback but they brought in Daniel Sams from Kansas State. He has not been guaranteed the job at all But he was an honorable mention at quarterback in the all Big 12 team in spite of not starting. He was their running quarterback but he did hit over 70% of his passes when he did throw the ball. There is no question that he is very athletic and dangerous as a runner. If it turns out that he IS able to earn the starting job and be reasonably effective as a passer McNeese could suddenly look a lot better net year.

He had only two carries and did not throw a pass when K State was upset by North Dakota State last year. The video below suggests maybe the Wildcats should've played him more during that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHu0WePzSRE

Danco
July 18th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I think McNeese is the sleeper this year. The Lions will have to play their best ball to beat them. I expect Sam to struggle until they can replace the leadership they lost last year.

msupokes1
July 18th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I think SLU is not only the best in the conference right now but may be the best in the country. McNeese has a lot of potential but there are still a lot of question marks. This is going to be an interesting year. Not sure what to expect from a lot of teams.

FormerPokeCenter
July 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Agreed. We've got too many question marks...Yeah, Sams transferred in, but he's yet to throw a pass for us....and he didn't throw many of them at Kansas State...we've already got good running backs...we need a dual threat QB...

I suppose we could always line up in the wishbone and run the triple option...

TheRevSFA
July 18th, 2014, 02:06 PM
McNeese sucks. Don't watch them. Not worth it.

Sorry..trying to help with the sandbagging.

FormerPokeCenter
July 18th, 2014, 02:12 PM
LOL, thanks for the assist. But I was serious about Sams. I'll feel better after he throws his first pass for us...

McNeese75
July 18th, 2014, 02:23 PM
LOL, thanks for the assist. But I was serious about Sams. I'll feel better after he throws his first pass for us...

xconfusedx What makes you think he is going to pass? xdontknowx

FormerPokeCenter
July 18th, 2014, 02:24 PM
We've got a tight end who can catch and some good receivers....unless we teach them how to block, he better damn well be able to pass! ;)

Panther88
July 18th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Surely we're not saying Bolfing is a dual-threat. lol (????????) If so, he must've recently advanced that skill set. Pure pocket passer and not as mobile in the pocket, from what I recall of seeing him play quite a few times. Granted, he looked even better as a passer because he had a 1st team all-state RB his jr yr and subsequent 2nd team all-state RB his sr yr in his backfield to help substantiate the passes he threw because everyone was gung-ho on stopping the run.

I look forward to watching the gameplan by the "brainy one" as he attempts to stop Daniel. Daniel looks the part of a true dual-threat qb.

FormerPokeCenter
July 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Compared to last year's starter, Bolfing was a legitimate dual threat! ;)

Panther88
July 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Compared to last year's starter, Bolfing was a legitimate dual threat! ;)

I thought Cody did what was asked of him. xconfusedx

Bolfing learned he actually has legs? lol *I know his father and his other brothers*

McNeese72
July 19th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I thought Cody did what was asked of him. xconfusedx

Well, there was a reason why they didn't ask Cody to run. ;)

If we can pass the ball decently, this year could be interesting. If not, it will be just a so-so year and we will lucky to make the playoffs.

Doc

Panther88
July 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM

If we can pass the ball decently, this year could be interesting. If not, it will be just a so-so year and we will lucky to make the playoffs.

Doc
I'm looking forward to determining if Tyler will start and also view his progression of skills/abilities. Did Bodhi progress Doc? That kid has the heart of a lion, literally lol. I'm pulling for both of them, obviously.

Catatonic
July 20th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Doc

We'd call it a great year if we were good enough to be in the hunt for the playoffs. Perspective. it's all about perspective.

TheRevSFA
July 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Are we still sandbagging?

Catatonic
July 20th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Are we still sandbagging?

DCTFM picked us 8th out of 11 schools. Not even a hint of preseason all star recognition. We must be bad.

TheRevSFA
July 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I meant mcneese

McNeese75
July 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I meant mcneese

:D Flushed another one out Rev

Catatonic
July 21st, 2014, 03:55 AM
I meant mcneese

:)If "well, we will barely make the play offs" is sandbagging, I dread playing McNeese.

McNeese72
July 21st, 2014, 07:24 AM
:)If "well, we will barely make the play offs" is sandbagging, I dread playing McNeese.

Don't worry, we have a hard time beating those schools that wear purple and have recently moved up from Div II. Easy game for you guys.

Doc

McNeese72
July 21st, 2014, 07:26 AM

Oh, and I actually said if we can't pass, we will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Doc

BEAR
July 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Don't worry, we have a hard time beating those schools that wear purple and have recently moved up from Div II. Easy game for you guys.

Doc

xbowx

TheRevSFA
July 21st, 2014, 09:14 AM

Doc

This is why Doc is a pure genius...

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM

Hey, if you are coming over for the game, you need to come tailgate with us.

FormerPokeCenter
July 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Make them put that nefariously evil watch dog up before you venture to the GeauxCowboys.com tailgate. The beast has malicioiusly attacked at least TWO unsuspecting and friendly tailgaters!

BEAR
July 22nd, 2014, 02:29 PM
It's easy to find these guys tailgate spots... their usually surrounded with sandbags...xnodx

Nickels
July 22nd, 2014, 04:08 PM
The KatFans crew was invited to the GeauxCowboys tailgate last year. We were told to go the flags.We did but the GeauxCowboys crew was no where to be found. xnottalkingx

We roll deep. I guess they were scared. xcoffeex

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
The KatFans crew was invited to the GeauxCowboys tailgate last year. We were told to go the flags.We did but the GeauxCowboys crew was no where to be found. xnottalkingx

Either you went to the wrong spot or you went after 6PM. We close everything up and head for the stadium an hour before gametime (I guess that will be 5PM this season). We fear no one! Because we have ferocious quard dogs. Just ask FormerPokeCenter. He got afoul of the head guard dog, Rowdy, one time and Rowdy took him down flat on his back.

Edit: What flags are talking about? You aren't talking about Kenny's group, are you?? We are in spots 14 & 16 in the Westside Reserved Tailgating Area.

FormerPokeCenter
July 22nd, 2014, 06:24 PM
The GeauxCowboys.com crew tailgates under the....wait for it.....GeauxCowboys.com banner....

Kenny Cochran, who posts on GeauxCowboys.com tailgates near the flags on the baseball field....

The GeauxCowboys crew generally sets up the night before the game. If you think that bunch worried about Kat Fans for the first time in the 30 years we've been beating the snot outta Sam Houston...well.....you're sorely mistaken ;)

BEAR
July 22nd, 2014, 06:45 PM
The GeauxCowboys.com crew tailgates under the....wait for it.....GeauxCowboys.com banner....

So what you're saying is you tailgate under a big banner that has pictures of sandbags on it?

Well I'll be there this year! Oh wait.... nevermind.

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
So what you're saying is you tailgate under a big banner that has pictures of sandbags on it?

Well I'll be there this year! Oh wait.... nevermind.

That's what I said when I saw this season's schedule. No Red Beans and Rice Bowl???? What fun is that?

I guess we will have to find a new team whose colors contain purple and who has moved up from Div II to lose to. ;)

BEAR
July 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
ACU / UCA = the mirror bowl.
(UCA backwards = SFA, but the letters reversed equals ACU ) xcoolx

FormerPokeCenter
July 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I'm totally gonna find Doc some blue and gold sand bags this year...

McNeese72
July 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm totally gonna find Doc some blue and gold sand bags this year...

LOL! That would make a good photo in the tailgate spot. ;)

McNeese75
July 22nd, 2014, 10:11 PM

And at halftime???