PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference introduces Mercer Athletics - Video & Info

FUBeAR
June 19th, 2014, 11:26 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=209521466

Mercer University is located in Macon, Ga. The mission of the university is to teach, to learn, to create, to discover, to inspire, to empower and to serve.

General Information:
School............................................ ............Mercer University
Location.......................................... ...........Macon, Ga.
Founded........................................... .........1833
Enrollment........................................ ..........8,341 (Undergraduate: 4,429)
Nickname.......................................... .........Bears
School Colors............................................ .Orange & black
Affiliation....................................... ..............NCAA Division I
President......................................... ...........William D. Underwood
Athletic Director.......................................... Jim Cole
University Website......................................www.m ercer.edu (http://www.mercer.edu)
Athletics Website........................................www .mercerbears.com (http://www.mercerbears.com)

Other unique facts:
Notable Mercer alumni include Nancy Grace and Georgia Governor Nathan Deal. // Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter joined the Mercer Board of Trustees in 2012. // The football program resumed its first game since 1941 on August 31, 2013. // The first intercollegiate football game in Georgia took place on January 30, 1892 between Mercer and the University of Georgia.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Good to see them aboard.

OL FU
June 20th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the SoCon.xthumbsupx

Interesting user namexnodx

El Cid 80
June 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Welcome aboard!

SU DOG
June 21st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Glad to see you guys in. This should be a great rivalry for Samford. It's evident that Mercer is committed to having terrific athletic programs.

citdog
June 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM
Upgrade from the mountain malcontents in Basketball and Baseball and an upgrade from the South Georgia Clayeaters in Basketball. Football will be in the national conversation within one full recruiting class. SOLID pickup for the Southern Conference.

Sader87
June 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM
Nancy Grace?????

citdog
June 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM
Nancy Grace?????

Definitely not a reason to start a Cable News Babes of the SoCon Contest.

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2014, 09:14 PM
Nancy Grace?????

She has two degrees from Mercer, I believe.

Mercer has a lot more distinguished alums than Grace. Grace probably has the most name recognition, but I probably would have chosen one of the numerous senators, judges, authors, etc.

FUBeAR
June 21st, 2014, 09:28 PM
She has two degrees from Mercer, I believe.

Mercer has a lot more distinguished alums than Grace. Grace probably has the most name recognition, but I probably would have chosen one of the numerous senators, judges, authors, etc.

or maybe a Coach / Movie Star (sorta) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Yoast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0SgBOREvb8

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2014, 09:52 PM
I'd perhaps put the most famous and distinguished alums as Griffin Bell and Walter George.

Obviously, if you know nothing and are looking for alums with some name recognition, then you pick Grace and Deal. The former two, though, were giants of their time and were, for a while, two of the most powerful men in the U.S.

catamount man
June 24th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Got a feeling Mercer is gonna be dominating this conference in a few years....and I hate that feeling. :D GO CATS!

walliver
June 24th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Got a feeling Mercer is gonna be dominating this conference in a few years....and I hate that feeling. :D GO CATS!

Don't worry, we will bring them down to our level in basketball (we did it to CofC).

Mercer will be competitive immediately in non-football sports, and will be a force in football within 3 years.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2014, 05:51 AM
What will Mercer be dominating exactly?

BisonFan02
June 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Chatty xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
June 25th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Bazinga!

OL FU
June 25th, 2014, 10:43 AM
They are going to dominate Dukexnodx

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 25th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Upgrade from the mountain malcontents in Basketball and Baseball and an upgrade from the South Georgia Clayeaters in Basketball. Football will be in the national conversation within one full recruiting class. SOLID pickup for the Southern Conference.

You crack me up! I'm sure you are busy working to get rid of WCU, UTC, UNCC & ETSU then talking W&M and Richmond into rejoining. That is the only way your life will ever be complete. Enjoy life in the even smaller SmallCon!

citdog
June 25th, 2014, 05:27 PM
You crack me up! I'm sure you are busy working to get rid of WCU, UTC, UNCC & ETSU then talking W&M and Richmond into rejoining. That is the only way your life will ever be complete. Enjoy life in the even smaller SmallCon!

TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!!!

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Dominating is probably too strong of a term. Mercer has good baseball and basketball. They are fair in a number of other sports and I would argue more sports-focused than many of the other SoCon private schools.

In football, I expect them to eventually be good. They are smack in the middle of a football recruiting hotbed, have a coach that has put players on NFL rosters and still maintains close ties with programs around the state. It will take some time, though. I've said this before, but my thought is Mercer will track Elon's entrance to the conference.

walliver
June 26th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Dominating is probably too strong of a term. Mercer has good baseball and basketball. They are fair in a number of other sports and I would argue more sports-focused than many of the other SoCon private schools.

In football, I expect them to eventually be good. They are smack in the middle of a football recruiting hotbed, have a coach that has put players on NFL rosters and still maintains close ties with programs around the state. It will take some time, though. I've said this before, but my thought is Mercer will track Elon's entrance to the conference.

I think Mercer will adapt much differently than Elon. Elon started off with a poor coach they eventually fired, and started poorly in the SoCon. They hired a coach of known ability who recruited a hot-shot QB and they had two successful seasons with one playoff appearance. The QB graduated, the coach left, and they hired another coach they ended up firing and fell back to the bottom of the SoCon.

Mercer, on the other hand, has hired an experienced coach who will likely be around for a while, and will probably establish a good foundation for the program for years to come.

There also seems to be a competitive advantage to teams that start FCS from scratch over D-II move-ups (probably because schools moving up spend a great deal of resources upgrading other sports).

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Mercer is facing a major talent disadvantage the next few years.The only way they dominate this conference in any shape or form is if the other programs fall flat on their face while Mercer is catching up. Their coach has been given way too much credit. Their team is being way overrated, they were dreadful last year and wouldnt have played any SOCON team within 2 tds. They better be much better if they dont wont to go winless in conference.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I think Mercer will adapt much differently than Elon. Elon started off with a poor coach they eventually fired, and started poorly in the SoCon. They hired a coach of known ability who recruited a hot-shot QB and they had two successful seasons with one playoff appearance. The QB graduated, the coach left, and they hired another coach they ended up firing and fell back to the bottom of the SoCon.

Mercer, on the other hand, has hired an experienced coach who will likely be around for a while, and will probably establish a good foundation for the program for years to come.

There also seems to be a competitive advantage to teams that start FCS from scratch over D-II move-ups (probably because schools moving up spend a great deal of resources upgrading other sports).

I don't disagree with that. Both Mercer and Elon are constructed similarly, with graduate programs and a larger student body that really does not make them a 1:1 comparison to Furman and Wofford, which are smaller liberal arts type colleges. Both focused heavily on the athletic programs as Elon, for a time, had some of the class facilities in the conference despite being smaller in scale.

Program aside, Elon came into the SoCon already as an established DI scholarship program, something Mercer is not. They struggled mightly for a few years until changing systems and landing an elite QB that really made them a contender. Even then, their best was not that great. I think coaching had a lot to do with that.

I like Bobby Lamb. I think he's a great guy and a good coach. I'm not sure he's probably as good a head coach as some might suggest (otherwise, he'd probably still be at Furman). My cynical side says Lamb inherited an already good core from Bobby Johnson (admittedly, Lamb was part of that coaching staff, so he certainly played a part). He took over in 2002 with Furman coming off a national title game appearance.

Team had two iffy years and an early playoff exit and then he caught lightening in a bottle with Ingle Martin and Jerome Felton. 2006 was the last season Furman had Felton and some of the Johnson players, and they were 1 and done in the playoffs. After that: 6-5, 7-5, 6-5, and 5-6. It's hard to look past how far the team plummeted after Johnson's players graduated. I think a lot of that had to do with the administration's support of the program. I really don't know how much was on the coaching staff. Lamb made some drastic changes to both sides of the ball (not Van Gorder-esque, but close), and that's when the team started to tank.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 26th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Mercer is facing a major talent disadvantage the next few years.The only way they dominate this conference in any shape or form is if the other programs fall flat on their face while Mercer is catching up. Their coach has been given way too much credit. Their team is being way overrated, they were dreadful last year and wouldnt have played any SOCON team within 2 tds. They better be much better if they dont wont to go winless in conference.

Honestly, I think the top PFL league teams are somewhat better than some of the SoCon bottom-feeders over the years. I think they beat VMI and possibly Western.

BisonFan02
June 26th, 2014, 01:49 PM

What are "things we say about Chatty every year"? I'll take overhyped for 500 Alex.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Honestly, I think the top PFL league teams are somewhat better than some of the SoCon bottom-feeders over the years. I think they beat VMI and possibly Western.

Not sure. The top PFL team (Butler) was beaten (I think) 31-0 in the playoffs last year to Tenn. State. So, you are looking at a 4-5 touchdown gap between a middle-tier FCS scholarship team and the PFL's best.

I don't know much about VMI as I have not seen them play in years. Western is no world beater, but they are not 4-5 touchdown dogs to top 20 teams. I imagine Western would comfortably win the PFL.

It's hard to really know how wide the gap is as the teams never play, but my best guess is it pretty large between the PLF and SoCon.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 01:58 PM

My read of the original comment was not that Mercer will dominate anything this season. They have to play catch up. I do think they are primed to close that gap pretty quickly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 26th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Furman wins the SoCon this year.

AshevilleApp2
June 26th, 2014, 02:30 PM

Psst.

That's UNC-G.

CID1990
June 26th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Within 5 years Mercer will be the new school that Chatty "just can't get over the hump" against.

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Not sure. The top PFL team (Butler) was beaten (I think) 31-0 in the playoffs last year to Tenn. State. So, you are looking at a 4-5 touchdown gap between a middle-tier FCS scholarship team and the PFL's best.

I don't know much about VMI as I have not seen them play in years. Western is no world beater, but they are not 4-5 touchdown dogs to top 20 teams. I imagine Western would comfortably win the PFL.

It's hard to really know how wide the gap is as the teams never play, but my best guess is it pretty large between the PLF and SoCon.

Have watched a good bit of PFL Football in the past 2 years and SoCon for, oh, about 36. FWIW, IMHO, Butler was not the best team in the PFL last year. San Diego was, followed by Marist or Mercer (Bears laid their only real rotten egg of the season @ Marist - I guess that a bunch of walk-on Freshman might could be excused for 1 bad day...or not) and then Jacksonville (when Kade Bell was not injured). Dayton may have been right there with Jax, but I didn't see them play, so I will not posit on the Flyers. And then Butler - 5th or 6th best PFL Team - based on 1 reasonably knowledgeable man's observation of games or videos of games; not on W's & L's or vs.-same-team-scores or who was 'named' to the Playoffs. So, if my assessment is accurate, I still couldn't say how all of that rolls up into the mid-tier FCS touchdown gap discussion, but it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Just curious Chattownmocs - how many complete games did you see the dreadful Bears play last year?

citdog
June 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM

The sun bletch bbs wants you Bubba..... YOu ARE IN THE PFL OF "fbs" now.......Your opinion on the Southern Conference is no longer wanted or valued. BE GONE.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Have watched a good bit of PFL Football in the past 2 years and SoCon for, oh, about 36. FWIW, IMHO, Butler was not the best team in the PFL last year. San Diego was, followed by Marist or Mercer (Bears laid their only real rotten egg of the season @ Marist - I guess that a bunch of walk-on Freshman might could be excused for 1 bad day...or not) and then Jacksonville (when Kade Bell was not injured). Dayton may have been right there with Jax, but I didn't see them play, so I will not posit on the Flyers. And then Butler - 5th or 6th best PFL Team - based on 1 reasonably knowledgeable man's observation of games or videos of games; not on W's & L's or vs.-same-team-scores or who was 'named' to the Playoffs. So, if my assessment is accurate, I still couldn't say how all of that rolls up into the mid-tier FCS touchdown gap discussion, but it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Just curious Chattownmocs - how many complete games did you see the dreadful Bears play last year?

Perhaps. At the end of the day, Butler won the conference. They had a one loss conference record, and played a tougher PFL schedule than most with some scholarship teams on the slate. First, third, fourth best, who knows. I don't think it would have mattered much which team they sent to the playoffs.

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Perhaps. At the end of the day, Butler won the conference. They had a one loss conference record, and played a tougher PFL schedule than most with some scholarship teams on the slate. First, third, fourth best, who knows. I don't think it would have mattered much which team they sent to the playoffs.

At any time of the day, San Diego won the conference on the field, beating Butler, Marist, and Mercer, but declared themselves ineligible for the title and the playoffs. Butler was selected over Marist to be the PFL rep to the playoffs in a controversial and convoluted tiebreaker system that was changed with 2 weeks left in the season. If you'll accept that USD was the best team in the PFL (despite a 2OT road loss to PFL 4th place finisher, Dayton) and knowing, that USD did beat Butler by 28 points, would you say your previous logic holds true and that the (truly) best PFL team has a 1 FG gap with a mid-tier FCS scholarship team or nah?

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2014, 05:15 AM
At any time of the day, San Diego won the conference on the field, beating Butler, Marist, and Mercer, but declared themselves ineligible for the title and the playoffs. Butler was selected over Marist to be the PFL rep to the playoffs in a controversial and convoluted tiebreaker system that was changed with 2 weeks left in the season. If you'll accept that USD was the best team in the PFL (despite a 2OT road loss to PFL 4th place finisher, Dayton) and knowing, that USD did beat Butler by 28 points, would you say your previous logic holds true and that the (truly) best PFL team has a 1 FG gap with a mid-tier FCS scholarship team or nah?

San Diego is, and has long been, a PFL outlier. They were good last year. They've been good before. It wasn't that long ago they had a player drafted from a non-scholarship team (Johnson?).

They also played all of the aforementioned teams at home. Who knows the result if SD was making cross country flights to Macon to play football? Not to mention that the reason San Diego declared itself ineligible is because they were playing with scholarship players. That is, they are not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

At the end of the day, most of this is just pure conjecture. The SoCon was decided on a tie breaker, and left at home what some would argue was the top SoCon team. Does it really matter if it was Furman or UTC playing in Fargo in the playoffs? No. Either one was going to get shellacked.

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2014, 07:10 AM

I completely disagree, and it doesnt appear to me that Mercer was even a top PFL team.

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2014, 07:26 AM

What games do I need to watch? I can see the schedule. I can watch all your highlights on youtube. If you guys are even competitive in the SOCON 3, or 4 years down the road, those freshman that the Mercer fans fell in love with last year will be almost ALL out the door. They will be systematically recruited over and replaced. This season, its literally going to be like watching a socon team vs top tier SEC teams when Mercer plays the best in this conference. Look at some of your players. Look some of the lineman, look at some of the DBs. They are going to get destroyed. I also think their recruiting class was WAYY overrated. They signed a few good guys out of how many commits?

chattownmocs
June 27th, 2014, 07:31 AM
San Diego is, and has long been, a PFL outlier. They were good last year. They've been good before. It wasn't that long ago they had a player drafted from a non-scholarship team (Johnson?).

They also played all of the aforementioned teams at home. Who knows the result if SD was making cross country flights to Macon to play football? Not to mention that the reason San Diego declared itself ineligible is because they were playing with scholarship players. That is, they are not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

At the end of the day, most of this is just pure conjecture. The SoCon was decided on a tie breaker, and left at home what some would argue was the top SoCon team. Does it really matter if it was Furman or UTC playing in Fargo in the playoffs? No. Either one was going to get shellacked.

We wouldnt have lost by close to 31 to any FCS team in America.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Too bad your team didn't win enough to prove you correct.

FUBeAR
June 27th, 2014, 08:57 AM
What games do I need to watch? I can see the schedule. I can watch all your highlights on youtube. If you guys are even competitive in the SOCON 3, or 4 years down the road, those freshman that the Mercer fans fell in love with last year will be almost ALL out the door. They will be systematically recruited over and replaced. This season, its literally going to be like watching a socon team vs top tier SEC teams when Mercer plays the best in this conference. Look at some of your players. Look some of the lineman, look at some of the DBs. They are going to get destroyed. I also think their recruiting class was WAYY overrated. They signed a few good guys out of how many commits?

OK...so, None....got it - thanks

FUBeAR
June 27th, 2014, 05:28 PM

So...I'm kinda lost at what you are trying to say at this point, but I can certainly agree that most (or all) is just pure conjecture. I 'conjectify' that, what I believe (from knowing a little 'bout football & actually watching these teams play multiple complete games) to be the top tier PFL Teams - USD, Marist, Mercer, Jax, and, perhaps, Dayton (unconfirmed cuz I didn't watch 'em) - are not as inferior to mid-tier FCS Scholarship teams as you 'conjectified' (4-5 TD's worse) and I used your comparative score logic to illustrate that perhaps the difference is closer to a FG - maybe, at most, 2 TD's for the non-USD's in that group. I don't see the relevance of why USD declared themselves ineligible or home/away, etc....guess we can just agree to dis-conject :-)

BTW - you mentioned having a player drafted as supporting USD's outlier-ness from the rest of the PFL (I think that was your intent).
Did you know that 2013 PFL teams had more defensive players drafted than 2014 SoCon teams and no defensive players (or offensive, actually) from USD were drafted? Does that make them less outlier-ish or nah?

catamount man
June 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Maybe dominating is too big of a stretch. I just hope my Catamounts land NC State's backup QB who may or may not be on campus this weekend. He's from Atlanta and likes WCU's business program.

(kid signed with UCONN.)

OrangeAndBlack
June 28th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I'm loving this thread! I can't wait for Mercer to get back on the field in August. Followed quickly by that first SoCon game with Furman.

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2014, 10:25 AM
So...I'm kinda lost at what you are trying to say at this point, but I can certainly agree that most (or all) is just pure conjecture. I 'conjectify' that, what I believe (from knowing a little 'bout football & actually watching these teams play multiple complete games) to be the top tier PFL Teams - USD, Marist, Mercer, Jax, and, perhaps, Dayton (unconfirmed cuz I didn't watch 'em) - are not as inferior to mid-tier FCS Scholarship teams as you 'conjectified' (4-5 TD's worse) and I used your comparative score logic to illustrate that perhaps the difference is closer to a FG - maybe, at most, 2 TD's for the non-USD's in that group. I don't see the relevance of why USD declared themselves ineligible or home/away, etc....guess we can just agree to dis-conject :-)

BTW - you mentioned having a player drafted as supporting USD's outlier-ness from the rest of the PFL (I think that was your intent).
Did you know that 2013 PFL teams had more defensive players drafted than 2014 SoCon teams and no defensive players (or offensive, actually) from USD were drafted? Does that make them less outlier-ish or nah?

I'm not conjecturing anything. The top PFL team actually played a top 20 FCS scholarship team, was shut out, and lost by 31. Butler also played another playoff team in South Dakota State and lost by 42. San Diego lost to Cal Poly by 22. Those games actually happened.

It is your opinion that Butler was not the best team in the PFL. It is also appears to be your opinion that one of the other non-Butler teams would not have lost 31-0 to Tennessee State or by 42 to SDSU. Neither you nor I have any idea if that is true.

My opinion is that the top of the PFL would be an underdog against a SoCon team. PFL teams are significant underdogs against every scholarship FCS team they play. Closest game I could find was an 18 point loss by Dayton to Youngstown State in week 1 last season.

So no, I do not think that every PFL team is a 4 touchdown underdog. To the original point, I think the bottom of the SoCon is better than the top of the PFL. Those games are not normally played, however, so we have no idea. At this point, that is just my opinion.

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I'm loving this thread! I can't wait for Mercer to get back on the field in August. Followed quickly by that first SoCon game with Furman.

Strap it up tight. :)

Looking forward to it. Excited to have the Bears around.

FUBeAR
June 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
At the end of the day, most of this is just pure conjecture.

I'm not conjecturing anything.

At this point, that is just my opinion.

1con·jec·ture

noun\kən-ˈjek-chər\: an opinion or idea

xrotatehx

I surrender. I will yield and let you argue with yourself. GO BEARS!

OrangeAndBlack
July 1st, 2014, 12:59 AM
It's official! Here's the official Mercer release on the SoCon Era beginning: http://www.mercerbears.com/athleticDept/SoCon

Now let's start working on some SoCon championships!

OrangeAndBlack
July 1st, 2014, 01:11 AM
By the way, SoConSports.com is looking pretty sweet with the new team logos at the top of the page.

CID1990
July 1st, 2014, 09:27 AM
Just so you new members are aware-

This is that time of year when Chatty is undefeated and capable of winning the Super Bowl, the World Cup, and the Hong Kong Sevens all in the same week. Their recruits are all five stars, and their coach is on Nick's Saban's speed dial whenever Nick needs some advice. This is that time of year when we all wonder why we even bother playing the games.

And then the season begins

FormerPokeCenter
July 1st, 2014, 11:43 AM

You lost to Samford, who lost to Jacksonville State by 41, so it's kinda the same thing...

chattownmocs
July 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
You lost to Samford, who lost to Jacksonville State by 41, so it's kinda the same thing...

No that would be relevant if I said we werent capable of losing to a team that could get blown out.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so you new members are aware-

This is that time of year when Chatty is undefeated and capable of winning the Super Bowl, the World Cup, and the Hong Kong Sevens all in the same week. Their recruits are all five stars, and their coach is on Nick's Saban's speed dial whenever Nick needs some advice. This is that time of year when we all wonder why we even bother playing the games.

And then the season begins

And then the Citadel beats them...Oh wait, no they dont.

OrangeAndBlack
July 1st, 2014, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntP_a61mxro

CID1990
July 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
No that would be relevant if I said we werent capable of losing to a team that could get blown out.

- - - Updated - - -

And then the Citadel beats them...Oh wait, no they dont.

We are pretty much .500 so your dog only hunts 50% of the time.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
We are pretty much .500 so your dog only hunts 50% of the time.

yep. That historical record. I guess you guys have a 50% chance beat us this year. Scary.

citdog
July 2nd, 2014, 12:33 PM
yep. That historical record. I guess you guys have a 50% chance beat us this year. Scary.

Says more about YOU that you can only beat a school that has a BRUTAL 4th Class system and very little in the way of special treatment for the football playing members of the SCCC half the time when you have NONE of those challenges.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
Says more about YOU that you can only beat a school that has a BRUTAL 4th Class system and very little in the way of special treatment for the football playing members of the SCCC half the time when you have NONE of those challenges.

Ok. What is the point of the citadel? Its a private school correct? Its not part of the military right? So why do they train as if they are?

citdog
July 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM
Ok. What is the point of the citadel? Its a private school correct? Its not part of the military right? So why do they train as if they are?

The Citadel was created by an act of the South Carolina State Legislature in 1842. It is a public institution listed as an ESSENTIAL MILITARY COLLEGE BY THE DEPT OF DEFENSE. All Cadets are required to enroll in the Reserve Officer Training Corps and Regular Commissions are avaliable to Graduates. The purpose is to educate Citizen/Soldiers. What is the purpose of Tennessee-Chattanooga?

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
The Citadel was created by an act of the South Carolina State Legislature in 1842. It is a public institution listed as an ESSENTIAL MILITARY COLLEGE BY THE DEPT OF DEFENSE. All Cadets are required to enroll in the Reserve Officer Training Corps and Regular Commissions are avaliable to Graduates. The purpose is to educate Citizen/Soldiers. What is the purpose of Tennessee-Chattanooga?

I really don't know. To get a piece of paper that says you are more qualified than someone else I guess. But the citadel is no better apparently. Public schools are public schools.

kdinva
July 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
All Cadets are required to enroll in the Reserve Officer Training Corps and Regular Commissions are avaliable to Graduates. The purpose is to educate Citizen/Soldiers.

Like this guy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)

James Hickey is a retired U.S. Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) Colonel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_(United_States)). On December 13, 2003, he led Operation Red Dawn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Dawn), the U.S. military effort that captured Saddam Hussein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein) near Tikrit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikrit), Iraq.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)#cite_note-3)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)#cite_note-4)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/JamesBHickey.jpg/220px-JamesBHickey.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JamesBHickey.jpg)
http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf10/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JamesBHickey.jpg)
Colonel James B. Hickey, explaining Operation Red Dawn to reporters, December 2003

Military career[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=James_Hickey_(soldier)&action=edit&section=1&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]He is a 1982 graduate of the Virginia Military Institute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Military_Institute). On December 13, 2003, Colonel Hickey led the raid entitled "Operation Red Dawn" that captured Saddam Hussein in Tikrit, Iraq. Colonel Hickey was awarded a Silver Star for his actions during this tour in Iraq, and his unit was awarded the Valorous Unit Citation Award.

chattownmocs
July 2nd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Like this guy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)

James Hickey is a retired U.S. Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) Colonel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_(United_States)). On December 13, 2003, he led Operation Red Dawn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Dawn), the U.S. military effort that captured Saddam Hussein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein) near Tikrit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikrit), Iraq.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)#cite_note-3)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hickey_(soldier)#cite_note-4)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/JamesBHickey.jpg/220px-JamesBHickey.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JamesBHickey.jpg)
http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf10/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JamesBHickey.jpg)
Colonel James B. Hickey, explaining Operation Red Dawn to reporters, December 2003

Military career[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=James_Hickey_(soldier)&action=edit&section=1&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]He is a 1982 graduate of the Virginia Military Institute (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Military_Institute). On December 13, 2003, Colonel Hickey led the raid entitled "Operation Red Dawn" that captured Saddam Hussein in Tikrit, Iraq. Colonel Hickey was awarded a Silver Star for his actions during this tour in Iraq, and his unit was awarded the Valorous Unit Citation Award.

Well. We produced citizens like TO and Mr belding. F off.

OL FU
July 2nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntP_a61mxro

Welcome to a conference full of love and respect for your fellow conference mates:D

CID1990
July 2nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
What is the purpose of Tennessee-Chattanooga?

Providing a steady stream of summer interns for Dollywood and the various upstanding mercantile establishments in Gatlinburg

Notice how we completely moved away from Chatty's status as a world beater?

OrangeAndBlack
July 2nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
Welcome to a conference full of love and respect for your fellow conference mates:D

I feel the love already! Mercer will be putting a beatdown on UTC soon enough!

catamount man
July 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I feel the love already! Mercer will be putting a beatdown on UTC soon enough!

October 25 and if this happens, Chattownmocs will have to be handcuffed to his bed to avoid a total meltdown. Trust me, going to Macon Oct 18 has me a little worried. Welcome! GO CATS!

dungeonjoe
July 6th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Exceeded only by the love and respect here if your team decides to leave the conference

chattanoogamocs
July 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Obviously UTC's ROTC could never go head to head in a list of notable alums vs VMI or the Citadel, but I would like to point out that the University of Chattanooga has produced a 4-star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burwell_B._Bell_III

As a Distinguished Military Graduate of the university's ROTC Program, Bell was commissioned in the U.S. Army in June 1969 as an Armor/Tank 2nd Lieutenant.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2016, 04:46 PM

I was searching AGS for something else and stumbled upon this thread and this quote from our dear, apparently, departed, Chattttttown.

Not really trying to 'kick him' while he's down/out/whatever, but with the way Mercer won last week, you just gotta love and appreciate the 'prescience' of this Football KnowledgeWizard.

"If you guys are even competitive in the SOCON 3, or 4 years down the road, those freshman that the Mercer fans fell in love with last year will be almost ALL out the door. They will be systematically recruited over and replaced." - One of those "freshman" just started his 46th consecutive game for Mercer at QB, finished in the Top 7 in both Rushing & Passing in the SoCon, and threw the game winning TD pass, with :31 seconds remaining, to another one of those "freshman."

"This season, its literally going to be like watching a socon team vs top tier SEC teams when Mercer plays the best in this conference. Look at some of your players. Look some of the lineman, look at some of the DBs. They are going to get destroyed." - Of the 5 OLmen that started in 2013 (those that he is referencing), 1 made All SoCon in 2014, was injured most of 2015 (his final year of eligibility), but started his entire time there. Another just started HIS 46th consecutive game. A 3rd just finished his 4 year career as a 3 year starter (did not start in 2015; for some unknown reason). A 4th moved from OT to TE and was a key blocker for Mercer all of this season in that role; winning Mercer's POW Award at least once. The 5th was a key back-up this season and started several games this season, as well. On the DL (which he may have also been referencing), 2 of the 3 starters last Sat. were "freshman" in 2013 and had great careers at Mercer. On the DB's, he was a little closer, as only 1 of Sat.'s starters was a 2013 starter, starting his 36th game at Safety. But, another 2013 Starter finished last year having started every game of his career. And a 3rd 2013 DB was a part-time starter this season and played heavily (and well) his entire career.

"recruited over and replaced"...HARDLY
"going to get destroyed"...Just 1 win (L's to El Cid and/or Sammy could have easily gone the other way) away, IMO, from playing next Sat.; only lost to Playoff Teams and an FBS Team.

Just real proud of these young men and found it interesting to see what others (at least this one...but I bet there were many others) thought about them, and their futures in the SoCon, 3 seasons ago. I will miss these Mercer Sr's & Day1's next year. Really a special group of young men!

chattownmocs
November 21st, 2016, 05:05 PM
I was absolutely right. If mercer was going to compete for a southern conference title they would have to recruit over those players. They couldnt, and they didnt. Not even close. Bobby lamb had a golden opportunity and so far he has simply shown he is a complete fraud.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2016, 07:54 PM
I was absolutely right.

Welcome back. Congratulations on your relocation.

http://3ynk0w1orym5czc542xmo55k.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/opposite-world.jpg

I see you're settling in nicely there in your new home.

Mocs123
November 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM
While Mercer hasn't done as well as Mercer fans wanted them too, I think they have done better than many of us originally thought. They have a nice fan base established and are now a quality program. I think Mercer is the model of how to start a program the right way.

ETSU has two quality SoCon wins this year, but I think Mercer was a better overall program at that point in resurrecting their respective programs - if that makes any sense.

chattownmocs
November 21st, 2016, 08:36 PM
All those 4 year starting seniors managed a .500 socon record in their senior year. They sucked!

Mercer was more competitive than expected their first year. They still won 1 conference game. The last 2 years weren't impressive in any way shape or form.

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2016, 08:55 PM
All those 4 year starting seniors managed a .500 socon record in their senior year.

2014 = 1
2015 = 2
2016 = 4
2017 = X

Solve for X

longtimemocfan
November 21st, 2016, 09:23 PM
Mercer hasn't done anything to hurt the conference at all. Massey has them at #37 which is very respectable for a 6-5 team.

ElCid
November 21st, 2016, 09:32 PM
Mercer hasn't done anything to hurt the conference at all. Massey has them at #37 which is very respectable for a 6-5 team.

This is true. They won the OOC games they were supposed to and did well in the one they weren't going to win. They did pretty good against the top 4 and that has floated them up a little in the computers. Their losses were only to the 4 SOCON playoff teams and Ga Tech. They would have replaced any of the four teams with 2 more wins.

walliver
November 22nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
After only 2 years, Mercer has won as many SoCon football championships as Elon did during their entire stay.xthumbsupx

CID1990
November 22nd, 2016, 10:08 AM
After only 2 years, Mercer has won as many SoCon football championships as Elon did during their entire stay.xthumbsupx

LAWL

Trolly Trollerson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 23rd, 2016, 10:00 AM
ETSU has two quality SoCon wins this year, but I think Mercer was a better overall program at that point in resurrecting their respective programs - if that makes any sense.

I am happy for ETSU this season. They have greatly exceeded my expectations this year. I really believe that next season will be a success if ETSU posts a winning record. My educated guess on wins next season would 6-7. That is unless Torbush rides off into the sunset and we hire Chadwell I can see ourselves getting 8-9 wins next year.

Mocs123
November 23rd, 2016, 10:23 AM
I am happy for ETSU this season. They have greatly exceeded my expectations this year. I really believe that next season will be a success if ETSU posts a winning record. My educated guess on wins next season would 6-7. That is unless Torbush rides off into the sunset and we hire Chadwell I can see ourselves getting 8-9 wins next year.

ETSU has a great year in my opinion. They were very up and down but to win 2 SoCon games (one a playoff team) and beat a good KSU team (second best SoCon OOC win??) in your second year of football is big.

Mercer was consistently competitive their first year in the conference but didn't win. ETSU beat some good teams and then look totally out of their league the next week. It was hard to get a read on you.

thirdgendin
November 23rd, 2016, 12:30 PM
ETSU has a great year in my opinion. They were very up and down but to win 2 SoCon games (one a playoff team) and beat a good KSU team (second best SoCon OOC win??) in your second year of football is big.

Mercer was consistently competitive their first year in the conference but didn't win. ETSU beat some good teams and then look totally out of their league the next week. It was hard to get a read on you.

Very hard to get a read on them. When we faced ETSU, they looked like the worst SoCon team we had faced since VMI about 15 years ago. Horrible. But they clearly played better other weeks.