PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry: An LFN Look Back

Lehigh Football Nation
June 18th, 2014, 11:12 PM
http://lehighsports.com/news/2014/6/18/LL150_0618140757.aspx

The 150th meeting of college football's most-played rivalry is set for Yankee Stadium in November when Lehigh meets Lafayette. Lehigh Athletics has partnered with Charles Burton '92, owner of the popular Lehigh Football Nation (http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/) blog to provide a historical perspective on The Rivalry in the weeks leading up to the game. Burton has been blogging about Lehigh football and The Rivalry for more than a decade and is currently working on a book on the history of The Rivalry.

xcoolx

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Congratulations on the book.

RichH2
June 19th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Fun read. Looking forward to Chap 2

Pard4Life
June 19th, 2014, 03:13 PM
http://lehighsports.com/news/2014/6/18/LL150_0618140757.aspx

xcoolx

1) How will this book be different from the one produced in 1997?

B) How much will it cost?

Lastly, can I buy all of the copies in print?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 03:54 PM
1) How will this book be different from the one produced in 1997?

B) How much will it cost?

Lastly, can I buy all of the copies in print?

1) It will be better (hopefully)

B) I'll get you the pricing

Please buy as many copies as your checks can clear

Bogus Megapardus
June 19th, 2014, 06:57 PM
How does this affect the Cable NewsBabes of the Patriot League©?

RichH2
June 19th, 2014, 07:00 PM
How does this affect the Cable NewsBabes of the Patriot League©?
Bogie ,is a coed hosting a cable cooking show eligible?

carney2
June 19th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Exactly who provides the balance? In other words, how is this not going to be all Lehigh all the time? My latest look at the stats verifies that Lehigh has won fewer games.

van
June 19th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Exactly who provides the balance? In other words, how is this not going to be all Lehigh all the time? My latest look at the stats verifies that Lehigh has won fewer games.

Sounds like a couple dumb questions to me.

Bogus Megapardus
June 19th, 2014, 07:57 PM

There will be no balance. It will be up to us to publish a responsive journal.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM

There will be no balance. It will be up to us to publish a responsive journal.

When you buy the book, you will be surprised, nay, amazed at the balance within.

For example, did you know that Paul Dashiell had received his diploma at Johns Hopkins before suiting up for the Brown and White?

(The stuff for LehighSports.Com might have more of a Lehigh focus.)

Bogus Megapardus
June 19th, 2014, 08:33 PM
The focus of this game always has been and should continue to be on Lafayette - the Humble Little College on the Hill; the Dragon-Slayer; the Giant-Killer. Innovator of the game and staunch advocate of its principles as lesser would-be foes have come and gone. Don't get me wrong - Lehigh has contributed to Lafayette's greatness, but only because it was there (more or less). Lafayette is the Harlem Globetrotters while Lehigh has served (faithfully and indefatigably, to be sure, like a loyal mascot) as its Washington Generals for one hundred and fifty years. A respectful plaque may be engraved for the Engineers as a small tribute to their participation but the Grand Trophy is reserved for the Maroon and White, from time immemorial, into the future and beyond . . . .

I trust that your publication will suffer no confusion (or delusion) in this regard. xsmugx

RichH2
June 19th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Bogie is so much fun when he is delusional.xsmileyclapx

Bogus Megapardus
June 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM

Are you suggesting that, for whatever nonsensical reason, you disagree with my assessment? xcoolx

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Are you suggesting that, for whatever nonsensical reason, you disagree with my assessment? xcoolx

:) Not entirely,just a tad overblown. Amusingly so,true. Prejudging a man's project is never a good approach. Actually reading the book would seem to be an idea you might consider.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2014, 08:49 AM
The focus of this game always has been and should continue to be on Lafayette - the Humble Little College on the Hill; the Dragon-Slayer; the Giant-Killer. Innovator of the game and staunch advocate of its principles as lesser would-be foes have come and gone. Don't get me wrong - Lehigh has contributed to Lafayette's greatness, but only because it was there (more or less). Lafayette is the Harlem Globetrotters while Lehigh has served (faithfully and indefatigably, to be sure, like a loyal mascot) as its Washington Generals for one hundred and fifty years. A respectful plaque may be engraved for the Engineers as a small tribute to their participation but the Grand Trophy is reserved for the Maroon and White, from time immemorial, into the future and beyond . . . .

I trust that your publication will suffer no confusion (or delusion) in this regard. xsmugx

One of the great things is that at alternative times during the Rivalry, Lafayette and Lehigh have been the Dragon. At times Lafayette was almost insurmountably good, and so has Lehigh. I think that's one huge reason why the Rivalry has been so great and lasted so long.

Pard4Life
June 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM

It is not balanced... it says so in the first sentence.. "Lehigh Athletics has partnered with... LFN"

Pard4Life
June 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM

Count how many Lafayette people are in the college football hall of fame and how many Lehigh people are in the CHOF, and how many national championships Lafayette has compared to Lehigh, then come back to us with a report...

Sader87
June 20th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Is this kinda like the Williams-Amherst rivalry????

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Is this kinda like the Williams-Amherst rivalry????

Somewhat, albeit on a much smaller scale. xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Lafayette leads the series: 77-67-5

Who is the favorite this year?

Lehigh'98
June 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Right now, Lafayette has a QB and we don't, so them at the moment.

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM
P4L is ,as he is every year, correct that LC .leads the Rivalry,based,as usual,on ancient history. Since 1960, Lehigh is 35-18-1 in this series. :) One of the many things that make this series so fascinating. Look back at series a repeated story of streaks by each team.xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Since 1960, Lehigh is 35-18-1 in this series.

If this game had been played only since 1960, it wouldn't even be a rivalry. It would just be an ordinary game. Am I missing something?

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 04:23 PM
If this game had been played only since 1960, it wouldn't even be a rivalry. It would just be an ordinary game. Am I missing something?

Cherrypicking part of a post out of context eh Bogie,
My point was merely that the intensity of our Rivalry transcends long winning and losing streaks on both sides.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Cherrypicking part of a post out of context eh Bogie,
My point was merely that the intensity of our Rivalry transcends long winning and losing streaks on both sides.

There you go again, twisting the facts to make it seem as if Lehigh somehow deserves to be spoken in the same breath as Lafayette. When will you guys get a clue? It's not about you; it never has been. It's all about us. xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM
P4L is ,as he is every year, correct that LC .leads the Rivalry,based,as usual,on ancient history. Since 1960, Lehigh is 35-18-1 in this series. :) One of the many things that make this series so fascinating. Look back at series a repeated story of streaks by each team.xthumbsupx

If you're my age, early 30's, you've seen Lehigh control the series. There's no doubt that Lehigh has been the MUCH better program the last 30-40 years. Lafayette had their dominance early on.....

My first LU-LC game was in 1990. I still remember Eric Torrain running wild and Kevin Jefferson playing as a 16 year old frosh....

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Lafayette leads the series: 77-67-5

Who is the favorite this year?

It's darn close to a pick'em imo based on most preseason projections. I'd give Lafayette a slight edge right now due to Reed. I still think Lehigh has a higher ceiling though....

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Pards have a solid team and a very good tested QB. LU not settled at QB nor on D. Have to give LC a significant edge as of right now. How both squads develop thro the season will present a clearer picture. That said being the favorite in this game not always a good thing :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Pards have a solid team and a very good tested QB. LU not settled at QB nor on D. Have to give LC a significant edge as of right now. How both squads develop thro the season will present a clearer picture. That said being the favorite in this game not always a good thing :)

Is Shafnisky's status as the starter really in doubt?

Lafayette's D was arguably just as bad as Lehigh's last year. They're also starting the season with a new DC.

Both teams should be solid imo. Lehigh will take their lumps but there's still a really good culture of winning/expecting to win imo. Lafayette has the talent to win 7-8 games but do they have the intangibles?

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 06:19 PM
You know Andy owl. He will go for the senior,if at all possible. Nick's upside much higher. Perhaps Folmar will convince Andy. IMO, it is Matt's job to lose. He was very shaky last yr,aiming his throws. He has the tools,a very good athlete,good arm but still wasn't used to LU attack. Reads are key. Altho coahed in HS by Marty Horn his HS was a run attack. No experience with making reads. Altho he was A-S in NJ,he had not showed any ability to do so last yr.
Nick also an excellent athlete can run and pass and more importantly did not hesitate in his read,which weren't always right :) but they were definite. Do hope they go with Nick. I would rather him get the expeience rather than playing it safe.

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Game between two teams nobody cares about. A blog nobody reads and a book that no one will buy. Typical patsy league. Wonder who will go 10-1 this year and miss out on the playoffs?

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Wonder who will go 10-1 this year and miss out on the playoffs?

The Citadel?

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Lafayette's D was arguably just as bad as Lehigh's last year. They're also starting the season with a new DC.

Also a new untested 4-2-5 defensive scheme with players who were not necessarily recruited for that formation. Pard defense is a complete unknown this season.

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM
true Bogie forgot about new alignment on D,imagine mostof that will shake out for bad or good for both of us by Game

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 07:50 PM
The Citadel?

When one plays in a real conference you can lose as many as 4 alot of years and get in. Only in your PEER leagues, Pioneer, NEC, Big South, and your patsy league is it possible.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Game between two teams nobody cares about. A blog nobody reads and a book that no one will buy. Typical patsy league. Wonder who will go 10-1 this year and miss out on the playoffs?

So a quote on the dust jacket is out of the question, then?

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 08:43 PM

I suspect that you MAY have the book completed by the 153rd game in y'alls series.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2014, 08:56 PM
You know Andy owl. He will go for the senior,if at all possible. Nick's upside much higher. Perhaps Folmar will convince Andy. IMO, it is Matt's job to lose. He was very shaky last yr,aiming his throws. He has the tools,a very good athlete,good arm but still wasn't used to LU attack. Reads are key. Altho coahed in HS by Marty Horn his HS was a run attack. No experience with making reads. Altho he was A-S in NJ,he had not showed any ability to do so last yr.
Nick also an excellent athlete can run and pass and more importantly did not hesitate in his read,which weren't always right :) but they were definite. Do hope they go with Nick. I would rather him get the expeience rather than playing it safe.

Did Folmar recruit or have any immediate contact with Nick while at Kutztown? I have to believe Folmar has some, (even a little), familiarity by default/proximity....

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Citdog trolling again in our poor neck of the woods. :) Well at least amuse us if you insist on staying.

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Dont know owl but I think you may be right at least as to being familiar with him. Kutztown does not recruit same players but they do recruit same area as we do.
Folmar in a tough spot following Ceech. Even more pressure to produce.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Dont know owl but I think you may be right at least as to being familiar with him. Kutztown does not recruit same players but they do recruit same area as we do.
Folmar in a tough spot following Ceech. Even more pressure to produce.

Cech was either going to become the HC or move on. When he stayed after the 2011 season it was house money imo. Andy is now a veteran with what seems to be a great reputation within the coaching fraternity. He was smart enough to bring back Botts and groom him for the DC position. He's already won 2 PL titles at LU as the DC. Folmar has a great resume for a young guy. The hire exceeded my expectations.....

As I said before, no program in the PL has done it longer and better with more coaches (HC/Asst) than LU....

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Any dust jacket quotes should come from Spinal Tap. xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM
true Bogie forgot about new alignment on D,imagine mostof that will shake out for bad or good for both of us by Game

Pards are going to have to have a lot of faith in Coach T. to moderate things, defense-wise. Art Link, the new DC, apparently is going to try to implement the UNH scheme on College Hill, but it remains to be seen whether or not we have the horses to run it effectively. If it's falling apart after the first three games of the OOC schedule, Tavani probably will have to step in and Frankosaur the defense. It can't really get any worse if he does.

RichH2
June 20th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Spinal tap quotes would be fun.

Owl
Agree Andy has grown well as a HC.Not the same guy that hired Trey. Not doubting Folmar ,he comes in with an excellent rep. Still the mass change over in staff will not be easy. :) Altho,change cant be bad for D,dont see how it could be any worse than last yr. O same scheme but different emphasis I guess. More running with Brown healthy and Yosha. Could be an easier transition for Nick,if so.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 09:34 PM
When one plays in a real conference you can lose as many as 4 a lot of years and get in. Only in your PEER leagues, Pioneer, NEC, Big South, and your patsy league is it possible.

Let's see . . . The Citadel last won the SoCon in what . . . 1992? Be gone with you.

EDIT - Also I forgot; the only decent coach you had in recent years came from Lehigh. That should cover it.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I suspect that you MAY have the book completed by the 153rd game in y'alls series.

Maybe I could use that as a dust jacket quote.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:14 PM
y'alls

Apparently, this is proffered as a supernumerary possessive construct of the dominant second person-plural contracted-form pronoun, "y'all" but without the structure necessary to render it a decipherable tertiary possessive even in idiomatic written English. We'll have to get the NewsBabes to look into it.

Bill
June 20th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Any dust jacket quotes should come from Spinal Tap. xcoolx

As long as this book goes to 11, it will be fine!

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Let's see . . . The Citadel last won the SoCon in what . . . 1992? Be gone with you.

EDIT - Also I forgot; the only decent coach you had in recent years came from Lehigh. That should cover it.

1. Those kinds of things happen when your Conference contains GOOD teams.
2. He's gone and nobody is crying.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:24 PM
1. Those kinds of things happen when your Conference contains GOOD teams.

What, then, is YOUR excuse?

- - - Updated - - -

As long as this book goes to 11, it will be fine!

. . . and the cover is black. None more black.

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Apparently, this is proffered as the initial possessive form of the dominant second person-plural contracted-form pronoun, "y'all" but without the construction necessary to render it a decipherable possessive even in idiomatic written English. We'll have to get the NewsBabes to look into it.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/blog/southern-and-jewish/files/2013/10/jewlife.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:28 PM
2. He's gone and nobody is crying.

Lehigh coaches have the life expectancy of a Spinal Tap drummer.

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 10:28 PM
What, then, is YOUR excuse?

- - - Updated - - -

. . . and the cover is black. None more black.

The point is that we measure ourselves against the BEST. NOT Georgetown.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:29 PM
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/blog/southern-and-jewish/files/2013/10/jewlife.jpg

I'm right; either you didn't read it or you didn't get it. No matter.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:34 PM
The point is that we measure ourselves against the BEST. NOT Georgetown.

Like, say, Chowan? Webber International? You know, the heavy-hitters on your schedule? I'm impressed.

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I'm right; either you didn't read it or you didn't get it. No matter.

For your pleasure.........

Lord Ashley Coopers Dictionary of Charlestonese Second Half

I
ICE COOL — The institution of learning which stands midway between grammar school and college.

J
JELL — Place of confinement for criminals. Durance viol.
K
KIN — Something usually made of tin that food is packed in.
L
LACK — Enjoy, i.e. "I lack fried chicken."
LANE — Lying down.
LAWN — Not short.
LAYETTE — Tardy.
LAYMAN — A fruit from which layman-ade is made, i.e., "Is that your layman-ade?" "No, that's Pappa's-zone." "Well, poet back in the pitcher, 'cause Pappa's now drinking bare."
LEAN — A little road, i.e., "Lovers' Lean."
LEASE — The smallest.
LOIN — Storying. Not telling the trut'.
LORE — To let down.
LOSS — To mislay, i.e., "He loss his match balks."
LUCID — Leggo it.
LUCK — To direct one's gaze, i.e., "Luck year, Pappa, what Bubber did to your match balks."
M
MARE — Hizzoner, the city's chief executive.
MEAN — A gathering of people, as a committee mean.
MINE EYES — Salad dressing.
MINUET — You and I have dined.
MOW — An additional quantity.
MUTTERED — A yellow condiment that goes well with hot dogs.
N
NEW SAND KOREA — Ashley Cooper's newspaper. (See Pay-upper.)
NOISE — Pleasant, i.e., "Noise weather we're having."
O
OIL AND — A body of land surrounded by water.
P
PACKING — Maneuvering an auto to the curb.
PAIN — Writing instrument mightier than the sword.
PASSE — Father has spoken.
PASTOR — Field where cows graze.
PAT — Portion, but not all.
PAUNCH — Blow struck with the fist.
PAY-UPPER — What sells for a nee-y-cal and prints news and Lord Ashley's column.
PIE SUN — What you put out to kill roaches that they usually thrive on.
PLAY IT — Something you eat grits off of.
POACH — A verandah.
POET — To transfer a liquid, i.e., "Poet from the pitcher to the glass."
POI — Not a Hawaiian dish when spoken in Charleston, but a dessert cooked in a round, shallow pan between two layers of crust, i.e., "Apple poi, chalk-let poi, etc."
POKE — Hog meat.
POLICE — Term of polite request. A person desiring to maneuver a car to the curb might ask a pool-lease-man. "Cain I police pack hair?" To which the pool-lease-man would doubtless respond. "No, you cain not."
POOL-LEASE-MAN — See above.
POTABLE — Something you can carry around, i.e., "A potable radio."
PRE-SHADE — Grateful for, i.e., "I pre-shade the compliment."
PULLER — Something you put your head on when you sleep.
R
RAH-CHAIR — Where you are at.
RUM — An enclosed space within a building.
S
SANE — Speaking, i.e. "I can hardly hair what he's sane."
SEND WISHES — Items of food made from bread, handy for a picnic.
SEX — One less than seven, two less than eh-et, three less than noine, foe less than tin.
SHASTA — She inquired of her.
SHOT — Not long.
SHOUT — What a baseball pitcher accomplishes when he prevents the opponents from scoring.
SNOW — To breathe loudly and heavily while sleeping.
STOIC — Bird that brings babies.
SYNDICATE — Located within a gate, i.e., "Where's the sword at the Sword Gate House?" "Syndicate."
T
TARRED — Weary.
TIN SIN STOW — The foive and doyme.
TOAD — In the direction of.
TOE — Preposition meaning toward, i.e., "I went toe the Oil of Pams."
TOIL — Thin slabs of baked clay.
TOLL — Past tense of tell.
TON — To swerve. To ton around.
TONE — Ripped.
TOY — Cravat.
TOYED — Something that ebbs and flows off the Bottry.
TRAFFIC — Something stupendous, like a movie that is beyond colossal or epic.
TRUE — Hurled, i.e., "He true the ball."
TUCK — Removed, i.e., "He tuck Pappa's nick-toy."
U
U.G. — A family name, also spelled Huger.
V
VERSION — The kind of queen that Queen Elizabeth I was.
VERTIGO — What happened to HIM?
VOICE — A squeezing tool, attached to a workbench.
W
WHEEL — The sort of mammal that Moby Dick was.
WINCHELL — Glass you see through at the front of an automobile.
WRETCHED — The long name for the nickname "Dick."
Y
YAWL — Mode of address used by N'Yawkers when visiting in the South.
YEAR — To listen.
YUK COME — Someone approaches, i.e. "Yuk come Romeo."
Z
ZONE — Belonging to someone, i.e., "That nick-toy is Pappa's-zone."

First Half

https://archive.org/details/lordashleycooper00char

citdog
June 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Like, say, Chowan? Webber International? You know, the heavy-hitters on your schedule? I'm impressed.

Everyone is allowed ONE Lehigh on their schedule.

Bogus Megapardus
June 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Good night, citdog.

ngineer
June 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM
You have us one the CHOF. We have you on the "Championships". Don't bore me with the 'gazette' stuff of one man's view of the world through bourbon stained glasses.

ngineer
June 21st, 2014, 08:40 AM
For Fathers' Day received from my Bucknellian daughter a "Rivalry 150" sweatshirt to compliment my wardrobe for THE Game on November 22. Already have the T-Shirt, hotel is booked and tickets logged. Already counting the days. Friday afternoon/early evening before game (TBA), Lehigh 's wrestling team will be taking on Columbia in Manhattan. Lions have an upcoming program, as opposed to their football, placing in the top 8 last year at Easterns. Lehigh Choral and Philharmonic Orchestras will be performing at Carnegie Hall later that evening. Glad we'll be able to 'sleep in' Saturday a.m. with the late kickoff.

RichH2
June 21st, 2014, 09:54 AM
n
We are going to Columbia. You?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
For your pleasure.........

Lord Ashley Coopers Dictionary of Charlestonese Second Half

LAFAYETTE — Tardy.

Good enough for me. FIFY

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
I thought my knowledge of southern idioms was reasonably good until I arrived at this one:

MINUET — You and I have dined.

I concede, embarrassingly, that I had to come back to it not twice but three times before I got it. :o

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2014, 12:03 PM
For Fathers' Day received from my Bucknellian daughter a "Rivalry 150" sweatshirt to compliment my wardrobe for THE Game on November 22. Already have the T-Shirt, hotel is booked and tickets logged. Already counting the days. Friday afternoon/early evening before game (TBA), Lehigh 's wrestling team will be taking on Columbia in Manhattan. Lions have an upcoming program, as opposed to their football, placing in the top 8 last year at Easterns. Lehigh Choral and Philharmonic Orchestras will be performing at Carnegie Hall later that evening. Glad we'll be able to 'sleep in' Saturday a.m. with the late kickoff.

I'm a bit put out over not receiving a much-desired #150 coffee mug with the list of all the games and scores on it. Perhaps I should have dropped a hint or two. xrolleyesx

http://i60.tinypic.com/24muyig.jpg

Lehigh'98
June 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM
Lafayette sucks and Citdog is a kicker w Napolean's complex. At least he has the World Cup for now.

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2014, 01:20 PM
World Cup

Since you brought it up, I just realized how little time and energy I've had to expend in not caring even one iota about the World Cup.

Bogus Megapardus
June 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM
Statistics can be important. So as we head into L-L #150, one stat that the editors of this new Lehighophile retrospect ought to keep in mind is this: Lafayette put up 50 in defeating Lehigh the first time the two teams met and Lafayette put up 50 on Lehigh the last time they met.

One game . . . fifty points . . . 150 . . . mere coincidence, or a talismanic prophecy? xrolleyesx

ngineer
June 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM
n
We are going to Columbia. You?

Absolutely. I don't think the time has been nailed down yet. They are shooting for 4 p.m. so people can make the concert as well.

ngineer
June 21st, 2014, 09:09 PM
I'm a bit put out over not receiving a much-desired #150 coffee mug with the list of all the games and scores on it. Perhaps I should have dropped a hint or two.

http://i60.tinypic.com/24muyig.jpg

Cool mugs! I must have missed them on our site. I assume both schools have a lot of the same items, just reversed colors/logos etc.

RichH2
June 21st, 2014, 09:42 PM
Absolutely. I don't think the time has been nailed down yet. They are shooting for 4 p.m. so people can make the concert as well.
Walready made dinner plans with kids but my sons and I see you at match

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Statistics can be important. So as we head into L-L #150, one stat that the editors of this new Lehighophile retrospect ought to keep in mind is this: Lafayette put up 50 in defeating Lehigh the first time the two teams met and Lafayette put up 50 on Lehigh the last time they met.

One game . . . fifty points . . . 150 . . . mere coincidence, or a talismanic prophecy? xrolleyesx

What is very strange about that first game is that I've seen the score reported as 50-0, 52-0, and 56-0, but in the CFB Data Warehouse they call it 50-0. But it's not the highest number of points scored by Lafayette in a single game, nor even the largest margin of victory. In 1944 Lafayette pulverized Lehigh 64-0.

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2014, 10:46 PM

Gotta love it. xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
June 22nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
What is very strange about that first game is that I've seen the score reported as 50-0, 52-0, and 56-0, but in the CFB Data Warehouse they call it 50-0. But it's not the highest number of points scored by Lafayette in a single game, nor even the largest margin of victory. In 1944 Lafayette pulverized Lehigh 64-0.

I think the first game was 56-0. Regardless, Lafayette put up 50 on Lehigh (on the way to putting up 56).

EDIT - No comment on "Lehighophile," LFN? I was rather proud of myself. It has a bit of a prosaic tone to it . . . xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
June 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM
Gotta love it. xthumbsupx

That might explain "y'all." It doesn't explain "y'alls." xsmugx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
EDIT - No comment on "Lehighophile," LFN? I was rather proud of myself. It has a bit of a prosaic tone to it . . . xcoolx

Certainly a good one. Though some will probably not check the book out thanks to my Brownandwhiteophilia, the hope here is that some people will recognize that it's at least theoretically possible for someone to root for a side yet still give the overall Rivalry the respect from both sides that it deserves.

What I will say is: No side is pure, and if one side is accused of something, it's almost a dead certainty that the other side has been guilty of the same thing at some point.

Bogus Megapardus
June 23rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
Certainly a good one. Though some will probably not check the book out thanks to my Brownandwhiteophilia, the hope here is that some people will recognize that it's at least theoretically possible for someone to root for a side yet still give the overall Rivalry the respect from both sides that it deserves.

What I will say is: No side is pure, and if one side is accused of something, it's almost a dead certainty that the other side has been guilty of the same thing at some point.

So long as "failuring" makes it in there as well, I'll be satisfied. xnodx

OL FU
June 23rd, 2014, 08:01 AM
That might explain "y'all." It doesn't explain "y'alls." xsmugx

That would actually be y'all'sxnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
So long as "failuring" makes it in there as well, I'll be satisfied. xnodx

I will "effort" that. :)

Lehigh'98
June 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
That would actually be y'all'sxnodx

Or if from Pittsburg, y'ins..

van
June 24th, 2014, 06:45 AM

y'ins in Kansas?

OL FU
June 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM

I prefer "All Y'all"xrotatehx:)

carney2
June 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM

What the h are you talking about, 98?! The good citizens of PittsburgH, PA, or the Burgh as it is affectionately known by all, are forming as I "speak" to march, pitchforks at the ready, on your meager abode. A lesson in both history and etymology for all of yunz (not y'ins even though the u in yunz has a short almost i sound):

The correct spelling of Pittsburgh has been used - with some controversy - since its founding in 1758 and chartering in 1816. Mucho controversy about the charter however, because many copies of the original deleted the h. In 1891 government did what government does best - screw things up. In that year the United States Board on Geographic Names, whatever the h that was, determined that all places ending in burgh must be spelled burg. The citizens of Pittsburgh went into full revolt. On July 20, 1911 the United States Geographic Board, successor to the overreaching United States Board on Geographic Names, sent the following leter to PA senator George Oliver:
Hon. George T. Oliver, United States Senate:

Sir: At a special meeting of the United States Geographic Board held on July 19, 1911, the previous decision with regard to the spelling of Pittsburgh without a final H was reconsidered and the form given below was adopted:

Pittsburgh, a city in Pennsylvania (not Pittsburg).

Very respectfully,
C. S. SLOAN,

Secretary.

See, sometimes the good guys win.

It is worth noting that the most valuable baseball card in history, the 1910 Honus Wagner card, shows the Dutchman in a Pirates uniform emblazoned with Pittsburg on the front. That, of course, is because the card was issued a full year before the government regained its senses.

So, 98, it is high time for yunz ChickenSquawks to straighten out and fly right. But then, a Squawk is a mythical bird that cannot fly at all. As will be proven yet again this November.

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 11:25 AM

They're all a bunch of Yinzers.

Lehigh'98
June 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Sorry about the spelling(phone typing). Yinz will have to forgive me. Honus Wagner though, nice.

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 12:20 PM
http://c2.plzcdn.com/ZillaIMG/f9b3b3f1f6d12de1f9b67c581391e2b7_1402164203.jpg

citdog
June 24th, 2014, 12:22 PM

Is it possible to take a single breath in Pittsburgh now without developing black lung disease?

Ivytalk
June 24th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Classic!

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Is it possible to take a single breath in Pittsburgh now without developing black lung disease?

Yes. I was there two weekends ago and I'm stlll breathing.

However it is not possible to eat there (especially Primanti Bros.) without developing coronary thrombosis.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/9b/f6/a9/primanti-s-sandwich.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Also Pittsburgh is the east-west geographic division point between "soda" and "pop (http://boringpittsburgh.com/poll/pop-vs-soda-poll/)." A true cultural phenomenon.

http://www.drive-invasion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pop-v-Soda.png

van
June 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Steel has long departed the steel city.

Go...gate
June 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Yes. I was there two weekends ago and I'm stlll breathing.

However it is not possible to eat there (especially Primanti Bros.) without developing coronary thrombosis.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/9b/f6/a9/primanti-s-sandwich.jpg

What is in there with the bread, fries mayo, tomatoes and and cole slaw? Not much - looks like about two slices of pastrami.

Bill
June 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Also Pittsburgh is the east-west geographic division point between "soda" and "pop (http://boringpittsburgh.com/poll/pop-vs-soda-poll/)." A true cultural phenomenon.

Bogie - very interesting. I would contend, however, that another division point exists - perhaps around the Phoenix area? Most of the places I've been to west of there go back to calling it soda. Any thoughts?

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 09:34 PM
What is in there with the bread, fries mayo, tomatoes and and cole slaw? Not much - looks like about two slices of pastrami.

The fries go in the sandwich as well - never on the side. There's a lot more than two slices of Pastrami, roast beef, pork or whatever. Maybe it's in disguise in that pic.

Bogus Megapardus
June 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Bogie - very interesting. I would contend, however, that another division point exists - perhaps around the Phoenix area? Most of the places I've been to west of there go back to calling it soda. Any thoughts?

Correct. St. Louis and Miami as well. Click on the link in the post above for the map. In the rest of the south, it's simply, "Coke." Even if you're getting a Dr. Pepper or a 7up.

Bill
June 24th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Correct. St. Louis and Miami as well. Click on the link in the post above for the map. In the rest of the south, it's simply, "Coke." Even if you're getting a Dr. Pepper or a 7up.

Wow - good find! I didn't realize it was a link...thought you underlined for emphasis!

RichH2
June 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
My apologies for meandering back on topic. LU has sold out entire allotment of 27870. According to LU projected seating for game is 48100. Pards are also sold out. Anyone know Pards' allotment? It was noted that Yankees allotted an unspecified number for their staff and affiliates. Fromwhat I read capacity for football is around 54,000. I wonder how many seats will be available from Stadium box office

carney2
June 25th, 2014, 10:26 AM
The fries go in the sandwich as well - never on the side. There's a lot more than two slices of Pastrami, roast beef, pork or whatever. Maybe it's in disguise in that pic.

And, if you ask for the fries on the side or otherwise express a desire to have the fries removed from the interior of the sandwich, you will be publicly and relentlessly humiliated by the restaurant staff. At least you will at the Primanti's in the Strip District.

carney2
June 25th, 2014, 10:27 AM
My apologies for meandering back on topic. LU has sold out entire allotment of 27870. According to LU projected seating for game is 48100. Pards are also sold out. Anyone know Pards' allotment? It was noted that Yankees allotted an unspecified number for their staff and affiliates. Fromwhat I read capacity for football is around 54,000. I wonder how many seats will be available from Stadium box office

I have no answers to any of your questions, but note that the number keeps creeping up. "48,100" is the highest I have heard so far.

RichH2
June 25th, 2014, 10:35 AM
seems so. Apparently there are alarge number of ticket requests that LU could not fulfill. Assume Pards are the same.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Speaking of on-topic, here's the next "LFN Look Back": 1887: The First Win.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/06/1887-lehighs-first-ever-win.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Good stuff!

Has the broadcasting rights for 150 been announced?

RichH2
June 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Pard home game, owl. Their call.

RichH2
June 25th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Good read. Wow, didn't take long for Rivalry to take hold.

OL FU
June 25th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Down here it is Coke. even if it is Pepsi, Seven up or Dr Pepper.

Would you like a Coke?

Yeah, a Dr. Pepper would be great. xrotatehx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I know nowhere else to drop this, so I'll do so here. A true gem from the Lafayette newspaper in the 1890s.

The Lafayetteites will appreciate the following wail of woe.

Break, break, break.
That awful revolving V !
For every yard that they make that way
They make by walking on me

Oh ! well for the man who's at full-back !
He never gets into the play ;
Oh ! well for the extra half!
Who is stationed five yards away.

But the LAFAYETTE men go on.
Till our line resembles a wreck ;
But oh ! for a whack at the man with the ball,
And a chance to jump on his neck !

citdog
June 25th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Would you like a Coke?

Co-cola

Bisonoline
June 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Would you like a Coke?

Here--

Would you like a Coke.

No thank you I would like a Diet Pepsi or Yes a Coke would be fine.

Bogus Megapardus
June 25th, 2014, 07:15 PM
The original article from The Lafayette, October 26, 1887:

http://i61.tinypic.com/16bbip5.png

Lehigh'98
June 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Jealousy dating back to the 19th Century from Lafayette.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 26th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I couldn't resist: I put that tiny bit of prose in my original blog post on the "Lehigh V". I kind of forced it, but the prose was so great, I really wanted to include it.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/06/1887-lehighs-first-ever-win.html

Bogus Megapardus
June 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Also "such a gentlemanly set of fellows" - that's priceless.

More important, publishing nasty swipes at the other side in this contest was NOT something that was invented on AGS. xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 26th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Also "such a gentlemanly set of fellows" - that's priceless.

More important, publishing nasty swipes at the other side in this contest was NOT something that was invented on AGS. xcoolx

I thought Bogie invited the literary gentlemanly swipe, but obviously Lafayette has a history of it xcoolx

I cannot emphasize enough how awesome that bit of found prose was to me.

RichH2
June 26th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Made some calls . Seems there will be a national broadcast of the game. Not sure who . This game not included in CBS package. Supposedly there will be an announcement "shortly".
There will be tickets available from Stadium.

Bogus Megapardus
June 26th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Made some calls . Seems there will be a national broadcast of the game. Not sure who . This game not included in CBS package. Supposedly there will be an announcement "shortly".
There will be tickets available from Stadium.

Janice Blake-Piccotti wrote in the Express-Times yesterday:

The seating capacity for Yankee Stadium for football is projected to be 48,100. In addition to the ticket allocations for Lehigh and Lafayette, the Yankees organization has also allocated tickets to corporate affiliates and staff associated with the stadium and team operations.

Kickoff for the 150th Lehigh-Lafayette game is set for just after 3:30 p.m. Nov. 22. For fans who were unable to obtain tickets, national television coverage plans will be unveiled in the near future.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh/index.ssf/2014/06/lehigh-lafayette_150th_game_at.html

But . . . Keith Groller wrote in yesterday's Morning Call, "the CBS Sports Network is expected to televise it with a sellout crowd in the Bronx."

http://www.mcall.com/sports/golf/mc-rich-lerner-finetuning-0625-20140625,0,6595025,full.column

Bogus Megapardus
June 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM
A few nice seats available on StubHub. Only $940 each.

DFW HOYA
June 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
But . . . Keith Groller wrote in yesterday's Morning Call, "the CBS Sports Network is expected to televise it with a sellout crowd in the Bronx."

ESPN doesn't like to promote games on other networks, so this probably won't get much more than a quick pick on College Gameday and little else.

Bogus Megapardus
June 28th, 2014, 06:28 PM
ESPN doesn't like to promote games on other networks, so this probably won't get much more than a quick pick on College Gameday and little else.

No matter. What's important is that the Hoya faithful know that we're playing the game . . . and they're not. xnodx

RichH2
June 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM
As important as the RIVALRY is to the PL ,it must be remembered that that PL schools are also participating in non PL sports

Colgate Ice Hockey
Bucknell Water Polo
Holy Cross Ice Hockey
Lehigh Wrestling
Fordham Bball
Georgetown Bball
Lafayette Gender Studies
Just saying :)

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2014, 02:00 PM
No matter. What's important is that the Hoya faithful know that we're playing the game . . . and they're not. xnodx

Not sure they'll even know. Most fans are tuned out by mid-November once basketball season is underway. Ten last place finishes in 13 years will tend to do that.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 29th, 2014, 02:42 PM
An LFN-themed editorial about the O'Bannon trial and how it relates to college football in 1890:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/822-lawyers-in-o-bannon-trial-would-be-wise-to-look-at-college-football-history

Lehigh Football Nation
July 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
This week's installment: 1893, Lehigh's best team at the zenith of the "mass momentum play" era:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/07/1893-lehighs-powerful-team-helps.html

Bogus Megapardus
July 14th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Lafayette has posted some historic images of the Rivalry on the #150 site. Here's a shot from the 1921 game (played at Lehigh; 28-6 win for the Maroon and White).

http://www.lafayette.edu/lafayette-in-nyc/files/2014/07/8183557711_3722b58199_z.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Lafayette has posted some historic images of the Rivalry on the #150 site. Here's a shot from the 1921 game (played at Lehigh; 28-6 win for the Maroon and White).

http://www.lafayette.edu/lafayette-in-nyc/files/2014/07/8183557711_3722b58199_z.jpg

Was Taylor not always horseshoed? My guess is that pic is shot looking north ?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Almost forgot: last week, I covered the 1912 Lehigh team.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/07/1912-lehigh-climbs-summit-for-their.html

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM

Sure that's Taylor and not old Lafayette Field with (very high) bleachers? The only reason I say that is the fence and buildings behind there.

Bogus Megapardus
July 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Was Taylor not always horseshoed? My guess is that pic is shot looking north ?

Sure that's Taylor and not old Lafayette Field with (very high) bleachers? The only reason I say that is the fence and buildings behind there.

Good questions. Lafayette is claiming that it's the 1921 game which was played at Lehigh. But that picture looks a bit more like some of the other old shots of games played at Lafayette's March Field (Fisher wasn't built until 1926). The building in the background might be the former Phi Delt house at Lafayette. If that's the case, then the image is not showing the game that they think it's showing.

Here's the back former Phi Delt house today, facing March Field (courtesy of Bing Maps):

http://i57.tinypic.com/6gy2hs.png

There's a distinct similarity, for sure.

Bogus Megapardus
July 14th, 2014, 11:32 PM
More on the alleged 1921 Rivalry game picture, after further review by your humble poster . . .

It appears that Lafayette's former Gayley Hall, which housed the chemistry and metallurgy departments, was built in 1902. Looking from the rear it stood just to the left of the former Phi Delta Theta house (which was built in the 1880s). Gayley Hall was torn down in 1960-61 to make way for (the first iteration of) Skillman Library, which was built about 40-50 yards north of the former Phi Delt house.

The former Phi Delt house remains on campus and now is called Scott Hall; currently it houses the Dean's office. I can't find a picture of the back of Gayley Hall (i.e., facing March Field) but here's an old view of the front of Gayley Hall (facing the Quad):

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set216/card00150_fr.jpg

My take on this is that the photo in my earlier post looks east from March Field (which still exists, of course) and shows the back of the former Phi Delt house with the back of former Gayley Hall immediately to its left. So the evidence is becoming increasingly is clear that Lafayette's photo of the 1921 Rivalry game is not, in fact, a photo of the 1921 Rivalry game.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2014, 12:09 AM
These old photographs are surprisingly hard to authenticate as to time and place. Frequently photographs get handed down from generation to generation, where one mistake becomes repeated so often that it becomes fact. Even pictures of events and games you'd expect to be right might not be. I don't mean to pick on that photo's authenticity, which I had seen before, but many of the games of this era are like this. The issue is not unique to Lehigh or Lafayette,

Take the following which I had provided to me from Lehigh Sports information:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7BJr1uD9ORo/U72wESQJW2I/AAAAAAAAAig/EfOByubaqKQ/s1600/%234+Retro+Line+of+Scrimmage.jpg

All Lehigh Sports Information and I had to go on was that it was from the 1912 season, and it was a home game. Their star QB, "Pat" Pazzetti, is clearly shown running open field, but after that, who were they playing?

I'd bet anyone a duck dinner that it was against Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School, but I can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Lehigh played at Lafayette that season, and the best attended home game was against Carlisle, and the stands seem pretty full. The Carlisle uniforms are similar. One of the Carlisle players' faces seems to match one of Carlisle players. But I can't prove it.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2014, 12:11 AM
These old photographs are surprisingly hard to authenticate as to time and place.

But just to recap the most probable evidence that the photograph in question displays an ignominious defeat of Lehigh played on College Hill rather than in Bethlehem:

http://i57.tinypic.com/103yf5x.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Here's some more grist for Bogie's theory: a picture from Taylor Field in 1927.

One supporting theory to the fact that it was played in Taylor, it must be said, was the fact that you can see the outline of a baseball diamond. Taylor Field was also a baseball field for the first fifty years of its life.

Bogus Megapardus
July 15th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Taylor Field was also a baseball field for the first fifty years of its life.

As was Fisher Filed.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2014, 12:26 AM
But just to recap the most probable evidence that the photograph in question displays an ignominious defeat of Lehigh played on College Hill rather than in Bethlehem:

http://i57.tinypic.com/103yf5x.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love the sleuthing. I think it definitely could be what you're saying. Lafayette field also had a baseball diamond if I remember right, but I don't know if they abandoned the diamond on Lafayette field by 1921. I do know the athletic department hated the expense of having to re-sod the field to support both sports back then.

Also, those are definitely not Taylor's stands that were built into the hill. This would have to be a shot FROM those stands out into South Bethlehem, and the background doesn't look like South Bethlehem. So I agree with you, this seems like a game in Easton.

Bill
July 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Here's some more grist for Bogie's theory: a picture from Taylor Field in 1927.

One supporting theory to the fact that it was played in Taylor, it must be said, was the fact that you can see the outline of a baseball diamond. Taylor Field was also a baseball field for the first fifty years of its life.

Guys

Love the history....but LFN, when I press on the attachment, it says "invalid file"...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Guys

Love the history....but LFN, when I press on the attachment, it says "invalid file"...

Here's a better view.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/10304788_10152280321807684_7278401467561163528_n.p ng

Note the shape of the stands on top.