PDA

View Full Version : GATEWAY week 5: bird vs. bird while the Panthers pounce

birdsflyhigh
October 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Things are getting very interesting in the Gateway now that we have several teams in close to must-win mode. The Hilltoppers MUST win out to make the playoffs, while the Salukis need to get back on their winning ways immediately. The Panthers are doing quite nicely ranked #7 this week, and because of UNI's quaity wins they could possibly lose one more and STILL be looking good for the playoffs. The ISU Redbirds are in the best position with the remaining games. But who knows? That's why the games are played.

Hey with IN St. breaking their 24 game losing streak, WKU getting the victory at SIU, and the Panthers upsetting YSU at the Ice Castle, looks like it's starting to be crazy time again in the Gateway.

Here's this weeks games:

IN St. @ WKU 35-20 Hilltoppers

WKU has re-emerged into the Gateway race, and some home cooking taking on the 1 win Sycamores spells yet another victory. A win should propel the Tops back into the I-AA top 25.

SIU @ MSU 31-10 Salukis

Back-to-back losses by the Salukis means it's TIME TO WIN or be left in the dust. Don't see the Bears be able to score much against a decent SIU defense. The Salukis need this one. A get well goes out to Coach Kill.

WIU @ UNI 28-14 Panthers

UNI continues their winning ways with a victory over a tough WIU team that's ran into a brick wall against the Gateway's upper level teams. The Panther defense gets better each week, and UNI is making their drive to WIN the Gateway after stumbling out of the box early.

YSU @ IL St. 31-17 Redbirds

The IL St. offense is on a roll right now, while the YSU defense has not been all that consistent. ISU QB Luke Drone has a break-out game coupled with RB Pierre Rembert putting up big yards on the ground....that spells trouble for the Penguins. It's ISU's Family day, so it should be another HUGE crowd (17,000 plus?) for this game between two top 10 ranked I-AA teams.

Even with a loss to the Redbirds (no disgrace in losing to the #2 team in the country), if YSU wins out the rest of the way, the Peguins should STILL be looking very good to make the playoffs. Why you ask? Because YSU would have 5 quality wins (Maine, UC-Davis, WIU, SIU and WKU) which would stack up OVER some of the other playoff worthy candidates. BUT, the Penguins would have to win out which would mean taking care of the Salukis at home, and winning on the road at WKU ...no easy path.

So my only road winner this week is SIU. Okay, what do you guys think about this week's GFC games? xsmileyclapx

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM
WKU-SIU-UNI-IlSt

Cap'n Cat
October 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM
WKU-SIU-UNI-IlSt

Ditto.

Saluki_man
October 25th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I want to agree with this, but there are two undefeated teams.

So, my perdiction will be:

One of the two conference undefeated teams (UNI, IL St) will go down this week. Don't know who, but one will go down. Also, WKU and SIU will win.

JoeNeck90
October 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Each team that has beaten WIU has lost the following week. Is it ILST's turn?

FlyYtown
October 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM
WKU
SIU
UNI
ILSU: [28-24-----If Zetts does not throw any interceptions: YSU 31-28!]

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Each team that has beaten WIU has lost the following week. Is it ILST's turn?

insteresting stat. hopefully this is the last week for that. :D

Killtoppers90
October 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Things are getting very interesting in the Gateway now that we have several teams in close to must-win mode. The Hilltoppers MUST win out to make the playoffs, while the Salukis need to get back on their winning ways immediately. The Panthers are doing quite nicely ranked #7 this week, and because of UNI's quaity wins they could possibly lose one more and STILL be looking good for the playoffs. The ISU Redbirds are in the best position with the remaining games. But who knows? That's why the games are played.

Hey with IN St. breaking their 24 game losing streak, WKU getting the victory at SIU, and the Panthers upsetting YSU at the Ice Castle, looks like it's starting to be crazy time again in the Gateway.

Here's this weeks games:

IN St. @ WKU 35-20 Hilltoppers

WKU has re-emerged into the Gateway race, and some home cooking taking on the 1 win Sycamores spells yet another victory. A win should propel the Tops back into the I-AA top 25.

SIU @ MSU 31-10 Salukis

Back-to-back losses by the Salukis means it's TIME TO WIN or be left in the dust. Don't see the Bears be able to score much against a decent SIU defense. The Salukis need this one. A get well goes out to Coach Kill.

WIU @ UNI 28-14 Panthers

UNI continues their winning ways with a victory over a tough WIU team that's ran into a brick wall against the Gateway's upper level teams. The Panther defense gets better each week, and UNI is making their drive to WIN the Gateway after stumbling out of the box early.

YSU @ IL St. 31-17 Redbirds

The IL St. offense is on a roll right now, while the YSU defense has not been all that consistent. ISU QB Luke Drone has a break-out game coupled with RB Pierre Rembert putting up big yards on the ground....that spells trouble for the Penguins. It's ISU's Family day, so it should be another HUGE crowd (17,000 plus?) for this game between two top 10 ranked I-AA teams.

Even with a loss to the Redbirds (no disgrace in losing to the #2 team in the country), if YSU wins out the rest of the way, the Peguins should STILL be looking very good to make the playoffs. Why you ask? Because YSU would have 5 quality wins (Maine, UC-Davis, WIU, SIU and WKU) which would stack up OVER some of the other playoff worthy candidates. BUT, the Penguins would have to win out which would mean taking care of the Salukis at home, and winning on the road at WKU ...no easy path.

So my only road winner this week is SIU. Okay, what do you guys think about this week's GFC games? xsmileyclapx
Care to enlighten us on that "home cooking"? Or is that just your PROFESSIONAL opinon?

skinny_uncle
October 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM
WKU
SIU
UNI
Ill State
Looks right to me, but I'll probably be surprised by somebody.

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM
WKU
SIU
UNI
ILS

SO ILLmatic
October 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
WKU, UNI, IL ST

In the last game im going to say SIU, but the way they have been playing lately makes me very doubtful. Before the IL ST game we were talking about a possibility of getting the autobid for the Gateway. Now we find ourselves if wondering if the secondary can guard anybody...We win this game, but I feel that we need to win out to make the playoffs. We can beat Southern UT in the final game, but the other two games (UNI & YSU) definetly not if we continue to play in the same manner of the last two weeks.

PantherRob82
October 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I never look forward to SIU. I feel better this year than last, but the home team has won that game for at least the last 4 years.

SO ILLmatic
October 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I think just because the game is in Cdale it will be closer. If it was @ the Dome it would prolly get pretty ugly. But who knows? The Dawgs may get their act togther and start to play like they did for the first 5 weeks.

birdsflyhigh
October 28th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Wanted to give this thread a bump up because we're only about 12 hours away from some rock 'em sock 'em Gateway battles. Any more predictions on the games? :)

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
At least one upset in the Gateway today. Something's gotta give.

birdsflyhigh
October 29th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Argh!!! Back-to-back 2-2 weeks in predicting Gateway games. Still am 15-4 foverall in my GFC game predictions. Man, did NOT see the Leathernecks beating the Panthers at the UNI-Dome. The YSU win over the Redbirds I could see more because those 2 teams always play it close.

Wasn't the Birds day, but I could definitely see today's loss to YSU serving as a big wake up call for ISU. The Redbirds need to put the Penguin loss in the books, yet keep it in the back of their minds as motivation.

With 3 more weeks of Gateway games, there are so many possibilities. Five teams are making a run at the top...IL St., UNI, SIU, WKU and YSU.
Get ready for some WILD upcoming GFC action!!!! :beerchug: