View Full Version : BSNs predicted FCS over FBS Upsets for '14

knucklehead
June 17th, 2014, 03:10 PM
List here:
http://beyondsportsnetwork.com/2014-fcs-upets-over-fbs-team-predictions/

I love #1 - The most confident pick!

1. Liberty at Appalachian State – October 11thAppalachian State joins the FBS this season even though the program experienced a major drop off in 2013. Liberty Head Coach Turner Gill has his program going in the right direction with the Flames finishing the 2013 season with 5 straight wins. Liberty will be a team that will be in the hunt for an FCS Playoff Birth.

BisonFan02
June 17th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Does he not think NDSU beating Iowa State is an upset? xlolx

clenz
June 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM
It's not.

Neither is UNI over Hawaii...Though the time difference may be an issue. I think it's rumored to be an 11PM or midnight central kick. No time has been finalized but their average kick off time last season for home games was 6PM...or 11PM Central. Though they play pretty much all Pacific teams at home. I wouldn't be shocked if UNI was trying to swing a 2PM HST kick off...or 7 Iowa time

centennial
June 17th, 2014, 04:33 PM
It's not.

Neither is UNI over Hawaii...Though the time difference may be an issue. I think it's rumored to be an 11PM or midnight central kick. No time has been finalized but their average kick off time last season for home games was 6PM...or 11PM Central. Though they play pretty much all Pacific teams at home. I wouldn't be shocked if UNI was trying to swing a 2PM HST kick off...or 7 Iowa time
That's funny because both Hawaii and Iowa State fans are confident of winning their respective games against NDSU and UNI.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM
I don't see SELA over Tulane as the 3rd most likely. The Green Wave figure to be a solid FBS team. Even as a really good FCS team, SELA will need to play lights out to win imo.

Pitt has a good talent base and a competent coach finally. I don't see Delaware being at the needed level to take out Pitt.

This might be the the best Iowa team in 4-5 years. UNI can be a headache, but to actually win?

VTech's offense might improve without Logan Thomas. Even so, W&M honestly might have a shot. The Hokies are a shell of their former selves....

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM

I agree with clenz...it's not!!!

UNI will beat Hawaii by 2 TDs but I think Iowa will beat them.

Iowa State's defense was sh** last year and they will not be vastly improved by the first game this year.

clenz
June 17th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I don't see SELA over Tulane as the 3rd most likely. The Green Wave figure to be a solid FBS team. Even as a really good FCS team, SELA will need to play lights out to win imo.

Pitt has a good talent base and a competent coach finally. I don't see Delaware being at the needed level to take out Pitt.

This might be the the best Iowa team in 4-5 years. UNI can be a headache, but to actually win?

VTech's offense might improve without Logan Thomas. Even so, W&M honestly might have a shot. The Hokies are a shell of their former selves....

Iowa is also being greatly over-hyped heading into this season. They'll be good, but not nearly what is being talked of.

I don't have UNI down as beating Iowa but I won't be shocked when it happens.

lionsrking2
June 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM

I don't make predictions but we match up well with Tulane and I like our chances of winning that game ... and I don't think we'll need to play "lights out" either.

Smitty
June 18th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Little disappointed that they didn't mention WCU over Alabama.

JMUNJ08
June 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Seems like he picked the top team from each conference and then half the CAA. Not the best that I've seen... but some are rather creative/ bold.

RabidRabbit
June 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
In 2007, NDSU, then a transitional FCS team, knocked off Minnesota, and Central Michigan in the same season. So two FCS wins over FBS in same season is not unprecidented, as stated in the UNI (pick 2) discussion.

Other than that minor detail, seem like reasonable predictions.

Yotes
June 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM
If UNI over Hawaii is an upset then NDSU over Iowa State should absolutely be on this.

When is NDSU going to play Texas? I'd love to see the reaction if the Bison lined that one up and won.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 18th, 2014, 12:47 PM
If UNI over Hawaii is an upset then NDSU over Iowa State should absolutely be on this.

When is NDSU going to play Texas? I'd love to see the reaction if the Bison lined that one up and won.

Texas doesn't make geographic sense. Also, top programs do not want to schedule NDSU no matter what.

clenz
June 18th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Texas doesn't make geographic sense. Also, top programs do not want to schedule NDSU no matter what.
Outside of massive pay days it doesn't make sense for any of the upper midwest teams to play outside of the central time zone and south of the Missouri boarder.

Th recruiting grounds for all of them is Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri and then a couple here or there from connections in other areas of the US. A game here or there in those states isn't going to boost recruiting there without a pre established connection.

centennial
June 18th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Outside of massive pay days it doesn't make sense for any of the upper midwest teams to play outside of the central time zone and south of the Missouri boarder.

Th recruiting grounds for all of them is Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri and then a couple here or there from connections in other areas of the US. A game here or there in those states isn't going to boost recruiting there without a pre established connection.
A win over Texas and a 8 or 9 win BCS team will do a lot for your recruiting. Texas has NO incentive to play a good FCS team, if they lose all hell will break lose. If they win, they should have won by more. I am not really fond of their fans after living a year in Austin, I got sick of the constant gloating. I would love for NDSU or UNI or any other FCS team to take them down.

blackbeard
June 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Seems like he picked the top team from each conference and then half the CAA. Not the best that I've seen... but some are rather creative/ bold.

Agreed, most just look like he picked them to stir the pot and create some talk. Which seems to be all that writers and media types do these days. Not much real analysis of the games. Especially W&M/Va Tech, Delaware/Pitt, Richmond/UVa, JMU/Maryland, GW/Wake.

Tulane make some strides last year and is moving in the right direction. I don't think they will take SELA lightly. SELA is a very good team but this will be a tough game for them to pull off. Think Fordham beats Army by 14+. UNI beating anyone is not a big surprise in my book.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I think Liberty is probably favored in that game.

Don't sleep on Furman @ South Carolina. Gamecocks graduated a ton of starters and Furman returns a now-veteran team that historically plays FBS teams close and showed little intimidation last season in a night . Last time the two played in Columbia USC had the starters in the game in the fourth quarter with the issue in doubt. South Carolina's record against Furman all time is surprisingly only 27-20-1.

citdog
June 18th, 2014, 03:04 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Jameis-Winston-Crab-Legs-Memes-9.jpg

Going down to the 'Dogs!

clenz
June 18th, 2014, 03:04 PM
A win over Texas and a 8 or 9 win BCS team will do a lot for your recruiting. Texas has NO incentive to play a good FCS team, if they lose all hell will break lose. If they win, they should have won by more. I am not really fond of their fans after living a year in Austin, I got sick of the constant gloating. I would love for NDSU or UNI or any other FCS team to take them down.
I'm not saying a win wouldn't be huge...I'm talking about the game itself.

It does no good for UNI, SDSU or NDSU to go play Va Tech, South Carolina, Florida, Syracuse, Oregon, Washington, etc... unless there is already a pipeline in that area for recruitng.

A game here or there isn't going to create a pipe line to a state half way across the country.

They should, and do, focus on games in Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, etc...

Apphole
June 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM
He's going 0-13 this year.

Apphole
June 18th, 2014, 03:57 PM

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 18th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Very true.

Gene Taylor has said in the past that FBS teams have said NO to NDSU wanting to schedule a game.

citdog
June 18th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Who is Scott Satterfield

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/video-alex-trebek-spits-rap-lyrics-on-jeopardy.jpg

Apphole
June 18th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Who is Scott Satterfield

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/news/video-alex-trebek-spits-rap-lyrics-on-jeopardy.jpg

I'll take that bet.

That App has more wins this year than there are correct predictions on this list.

clenz
June 18th, 2014, 07:49 PM
what makes you think that a 1 win Hawaii team will beat UNI?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

smilo
June 18th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Gardner-Webb and UT-Martin seem a bit crazy to me, but I'll gladly support those. Some of the CAA ones seem a bit crazy too. It would be good for our conference, but I'd be concerned about being in an 0-1 hole if we lose to Syracuse while others in the conference drop names like UMD, UVA, VT, and Pitt (and less so Toledo).

Also, obligatory, Go Craig Bohl! That is one upset I will in no way be pulling for.

bonarae
June 18th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Just read the list now. The top half may seem sense, bottom half seems like a crazy one. Don't the media know about Yale/Army? Or will it NOT be close? xchinscratchx

Catatonic
June 19th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Texas does not schedule FCS teams, good or bad.

813Jag
June 19th, 2014, 08:06 AM
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Jameis-Winston-Crab-Legs-Memes-9.jpg

Going down to the 'Dogs!
xlolx Although I love that pic and you're good people (damn, didn't mean to let that out) but Jameis will be back in Publix by the 2nd quarter. Hopefully I'll be at that game.

chattownmocs
June 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Don't sleep on Furman @ South Carolina. Gamecocks graduated a ton of starters and Furman returns a now-veteran team that historically plays FBS teams close and showed little intimidation last season in a night . Last time the two played in Columbia USC had the starters in the game in the fourth quarter with the issue in doubt. South Carolina's record against Furman all time is surprisingly only 27-20-1.

STFU

slostang
June 19th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I would think that Cal Poly has a good chance at taking down New Mexico State. Cal Poly is 3-0 vs NMSU and I think they soon will be 4-0.

RabidRabbit
June 19th, 2014, 03:58 PM
slostang
Re: BSNs predicted FCS over FBS Upsets for '14
I would think that Cal Poly has a good chance at taking down New Mexico State. Cal Poly is 3-0 vs NMSU and I think they soon will be 4-0.

Yes, the Aggies have been pretty pathetic over the years. No reason to expect any difference this season.

clenz
July 8th, 2014, 08:14 AM
It's not.

Neither is UNI over Hawaii...Though the time difference may be an issue. I think it's rumored to be an 11PM or midnight central kick. No time has been finalized but their average kick off time last season for home games was 6PM...or 11PM Central. Though they play pretty much all Pacific teams at home. I wouldn't be shocked if UNI was trying to swing a 2PM HST kick off...or 7 Iowa timeWell, it's official

6PM Hawaii time kick off for UNI/Hawaii - 11 PM Iowa time.

F*****S

clenz
July 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM
They don't seem to be taking UNI too seriously as a fan base

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/7/4/5864805/hawaii-football-previewing-northern-iowa-panthers

COACH: Mike Farley
If David Johnson (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/players/201547/david-johnson) has early success against the Defense that allowed an average 214 rushing yards a game, it'll be a long day for new Defensive Coordinator Kevin Clune. Beau Yap should be able to get through the line and create pressure for Sawyer Kollmorgen, but the UNI offense line should keep him off the turf more often than not.
Offensively, the easiest way for Hawaii to have success is to run it opposite of Xavier Williams. Joey Ioesefa can have success if he is able to get outside of the tackle box and display the same speed when he was healthy in 2011. Four of five starters returning for the Warriors O-Line should keep Ikaika Woolsey's jersey clean, so Hawaii's offense should have more success in this game compared to their first two match-ups with Washington and Oregon State. This will be the first close game for the Warriors in 2014, but they'll be able to match their win total from 2013. Hawaii 34, Northern Iowa 30

It's cute that they think they'll put 34. As a team they allowed over 200 yards rushing per game last season...DJ is going to put that up by himself.

Run opposite of Xavier? Good luck with that.

Just...wow on that whole piece.

chattownmocs
July 8th, 2014, 08:22 AM

It's cute that they think they'll put 34. As a team they allowed over 200 yards rushing per game last season...DJ is going to put that up by himself.

You think they arent going to pick themselves to beat UNI?

clenz
July 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM
You think they arent going to pick themselves to beat UNI?
If they were smart they would.

They are 4-20 the last two years with wins against Lamar, South Alabama, Army and UNLV....

They've given up less than 30 just 4 times in the last 2 years (all 4 in 2012..Lamar, SDSU, UNLV, and South Alabama).

Gave up 40 ppg last season and for the last two are giving up 38ppg...

Skyhawk71
July 8th, 2014, 09:39 AM
UTM v. Kentucky, he said it was a stretch- I agree: 03- UK 57 Murray St. 6; 05- UK 41 Idaho St. 29; 06- UK 41 Texas St. 7; 07- UK 50 EKU 10; 08- UK 38 Norfolk St. 3; 09- UK 37 EKU 12; 10- UK 49 Charleston So. 21; 11- UK 38 Jax St. 14; 12- UK 34 Samford 3- UK may lose football games, but they don't sleep on FCS teams..........nothing wrong with an upset though- GO Skyhawks!!!

skinny_uncle
July 8th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I have to stick in my homer pick, SIU over Purdue. I think we have a real shot at them.

clenz
July 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I have to stick in my homer pick, SIU over Purdue. I think we have a real shot at them.
I could see it.

Purdue was BAD last season. Their only win was a 20-14 win over Indiana State. They were outscored 37-11 in non Indiana State games last season.

dewey
July 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Well, it's official

F*****S

Channel your inner Bison fan and just think of all that time for tailgating Clenzxthumbsupx Remember the drink glass is half full:D

I got UNI winning that game with DJ running wild. You got to remember that in the preseason everyone and I mean everyone is wearing rose colored glasses.

Dewey

marenlee
July 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Well, it's official

F*****S

Any word on whether this will be on ESPN2 or CBSSN? Not uncommon to see Hawaii games on TV since they're usually one of the few times playing that late.

clenz
July 8th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Any word on whether this will be on ESPN2 or CBSSN? Not uncommon to see Hawaii games on TV since they're usually one of the few times playing that late.
Nothing set on the Hawaii website.

I wouldn't be shocked to see it on CBSSN or ESPNU

SFA 93
July 8th, 2014, 04:26 PM
The only FCS team Texas has ever played was Sam Houston State in 2006 (Won 56-3)

AD at the time DeLoss Dodds vowed never to play a FCS program ever again.

FormerPokeCenter
July 8th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I thought we had a reasonable chance of getting a game in Austin, as long as former Poke QB Greg Davis was the OC there....but....he got tossed under the bus so Mack could save his own skin...

coover
July 9th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Cal Poly vs. New Mexico State, August 28, 7 PM Mountain (6 PM Pacific, 8 PM Central, and 9 PM Eastern) will be on ESPN3. I'm not so sure a Cal Poly win would be an upset, but the Mustangs can be seen nationally. With a Poly win here, and a Liberty win over App. State, the Sun Belt loses at least 2 to FCS squads.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Cal Poly vs. New Mexico State, August 28, 7 PM Mountain (6 PM Pacific, 8 PM Central, and 9 PM Eastern) will be on ESPN3. I'm not so sure a Cal Poly win would be an upset, but the Mustangs can be seen nationally. With a Poly win here, and a Liberty win over App. State, the Sun Belt loses at least 2 to FCS squads.

It won't be!!

xthumbsupx

Cal Poly will win by 2 TDs.....bank on it!

ThompsonThe
July 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Liberty has high hopes, but that is all there will be to it.
Liberty will go down big time.
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/CRE48/MOVING%20Pictures/DefensiveLineDominance_zps8ac774ab.gif~original (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/CRE48/media/MOVING%20Pictures/DefensiveLineDominance_zps8ac774ab.gif.html)

tomq04
July 9th, 2014, 03:23 PM
How does EWU fare against UW?

coover
July 9th, 2014, 05:25 PM
How does EWU fare against UW?EWU will probably be competitive, but will eventually lose the game.

EWU may actually be the best FCS squad this year (though three or four other teams may dispute this), and U Washington may dismiss them for simply being FCS. But Washington is rated preseason at #24 nationally and if that is a true rating, it would mean that Washington is probably better, much better than any FCS squad. There are 128 FBS teams and I would expect that the best an FCS squad could expect would to be equivalent to an average FBS team, somewhere around 64 or so because of number of scholarships disparity.

It is possible that EWU's starting 22 may actually match up with U Washington's starting 22. But when you get to the 2nd and 3rd string, U Washington is going to be better, much better. And the entire starting 22 cannot, will not play the entire game or by the 4th quarter, many will no longer be effective.

I would expect a close score with Washington winning by at least a TD, maybe 2.

EWU is expected to have a great FCS team this year, and, frankly, I'm relieved that my guys (Cal Poly) do not have them on the regular season schedule. Montana, Montana State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, and South Dakota State will be tough enough without playing EWU.

If Poly doesn't make the playoffs, I'll be rooting for the Eagles to go all the way.

Red & Black
July 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM
EWU will probably be competitive, but will eventually lose the game.

EWU may actually be the best FCS squad this year (though three or four other teams may dispute this), and U Washington may dismiss them for simply being FCS. But Washington is rated preseason at #24 nationally and if that is a true rating, it would mean that Washington is probably better, much better than any FCS squad. There are 128 FBS teams and I would expect that the best an FCS squad could expect would to be equivalent to an average FBS team, somewhere around 64 or so because of number of scholarships disparity.

It is possible that EWU's starting 22 may actually match up with U Washington's starting 22. But when you get to the 2nd and 3rd string, U Washington is going to be better, much better. And the entire starting 22 cannot, will not play the entire game or by the 4th quarter, many will no longer be effective.

I would expect a close score with Washington winning by at least a TD, maybe 2.

EWU is expected to have a great FCS team this year, and, frankly, I'm relieved that my guys (Cal Poly) do not have them on the regular season schedule. Montana, Montana State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, and South Dakota State will be tough enough without playing EWU.

If Poly doesn't make the playoffs, I'll be rooting for the Eagles to go all the way.

Mostly true, although we will match up with UW better than most people will want to admit. A lot of it depends on at what point in the year you play these games. The fact that this isn't the first game of the year for either team probably bodes well for UW. We did beat a (then) top 25 Oregon State the first game of the season this past year, and I'm sure a lot of that had to do with a slightly different offense that we installed in the off-season that they didn't have any film on.

Anyway, remember, in 2011 our game with UW came down to the last play of the game and them getting an INT to seal that game. We also outgained them over 2-1 in offensive yards and basically dominated them offensively for large portions of the game. It was the lopsided TO margin that did us in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I can't see Peterson losing to an in-state FCS team in his first home game as head coach. EWU will score some points but they're not going to win imo....

knucklehead
July 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Liberty has high hopes, but that is all there will be to it.
Liberty will go down big time.

Well thought out prediction there bud. I think this will be a tight game. Liberty should be able to score in bunches and the Defense will be solid. Go ahead and see LU as a pushover, but it ain't gonna happen.

Red & Black
July 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I can't see Peterson losing to an in-state FCS team in his first home game as head coach. EWU will score some points but they're not going to win imo....

Same thing has been said many times before. I don't expect us to win, but it won't be a blowout, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tru
July 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Cal poly should beat New Mexico state

Hammerhead
July 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM
That Hawaii sun is really hot. It's not surprising that they like evening games.

Well, it's official

F*****S