PDA

View Full Version : James Madison Realignment

Dave195
June 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
What's going on with James Madison and their quest to leave CAA football and move up a level? JMU wanted to get into C-USA and they weren't accepting new members right?

As a Monmouth alum, I have a vested interest. I want that 12th CAA slot in a few years. Big South is just a stepping stone like it was for Stony Brook a few years ago. We're building the stadium and have already started to add scholarships. Thanks!

kdinva
June 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I have a vested interest......We're building the stadium and have already started to add scholarships. Thanks!

good to have that kind of vision......Will MU look to further update their stadium to over 10,000 seats by the end of this decade?

Dave195
June 14th, 2014, 04:37 PM
No idea. Zoning in NJ is a bitch. They originally wanted a bigger arena also and the town fought it for nearly 15 years. Maybe 7 or 8k eventually. I'll take what I can get though.

centennial
June 14th, 2014, 06:08 PM
What's going on with James Madison and their quest to leave CAA football and move up a level? JMU wanted to get into C-USA and they weren't accepting new members right?

As a Monmouth alum, I have a vested interest. I want that 12th CAA slot in a few years. Big South is just a stepping stone like it was for Stony Brook a few years ago. We're building the stadium and have already started to add scholarships. Thanks!
As of now.. no one is taking move ups. Sun Belt was looking for a while even that didn't happen. Maybe you can be the 13th member of CAA? All depends on how attractive you are to the CAA..

Dane96
June 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Dave, I say this with respect because I really like Monmouth. As currently constructed and even if JMU left, Monmouth would NOT be getting that 12th slot. The issue, which has been made very clear to Monmouth, CCSU, and Albany before we were invited, is a stadium issue. Monmouth has been told that nothing short of 8,500 capacity and significant upgrades to stadium amenities.

Currently, Monmouth is working on getting item #2 taken care of however, I think getting the community to agree to 8,500 seats would be tough.

Best of luck, but I think you have an uphill climb unless there is a DRASTIC CAA change.

mountaineer in Cane Land
June 14th, 2014, 06:59 PM
looks like JMU will have to wait until atleast next year before any conference talks to them again. SBC still has an opening, but if Eastern Kentucky or Missouri State gets their funding togeather the SBC might just take one of them and leave JMU out. Both USA and the MAC seem to be happy with their numbers and are not in any hurry to add members, atleast 3 years away. Things change quickly, but right now, it appears they made a mistake in turning down the SBC, and waiting for an invitation from USA or the MAC that may never come. I don't think they are going anywhere for atleast the next couple of years.

citdog
June 14th, 2014, 08:14 PM
looks like JMU will have to wait until atleast next year before any conference talks to them again. SBC still has an opening, but if Eastern Kentucky or Missouri State gets their funding togeather the SBC might just take one of them and leave JMU out. Both USA and the MAC seem to be happy with their numbers and are not in any hurry to add members, atleast 3 years away. Things change quickly, but right now, it appears they made a mistake in turning down the SBC, and waiting for an invitation from USA or the MAC that may never come. I don't think they are going anywhere for atleast the next couple of years.

No one has EVER made a mistake by choosing not to join up with the tallest midgets.

mountaineer in Cane Land
June 14th, 2014, 08:28 PM
jealous?

citdog
June 14th, 2014, 08:43 PM
jealous?

TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!

BisonFan02
June 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM
TOUCHDOWN THE CITADEL!

MY OH MY! :D (need to spread rep around again....)

Dave195
June 15th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Dave, I say this with respect because I really like Monmouth. As currently constructed and even if JMU left, Monmouth would NOT be getting that 12th slot. The issue, which has been made very clear to Monmouth, CCSU, and Albany before we were invited, is a stadium issue. Monmouth has been told that nothing short of 8,500 capacity and significant upgrades to stadium amenities.

Currently, Monmouth is working on getting item #2 taken care of however, I think getting the community to agree to 8,500 seats would be tough.

Best of luck, but I think you have an uphill climb unless there is a DRASTIC CAA change.

Yeah, they're tearing down the old one and putting up a brand new structure. But they'd have to add one to the other side of the field to get to 7500/8k. I'm sure they want to, but I don't see it in the next few years.

WestCoastAggie
June 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Why won't the NEC increase their scholly levels or allow schools to give out whatever they feel?

Dave195
June 16th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Why won't the NEC increase their scholly levels or allow schools to give out whatever they feel?

Because of $$$

paward
June 16th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Sure would hate 2 C JMU go! No pun intended but Monmouth game just will not have the same Ump.

MplsBison
June 17th, 2014, 12:28 PM

That's correct.

If JMU wants into the FBS, their only option was - and will continue to be - the Sun Belt. They stuck their noses up in the air this year. My guess is that their athletic director and president, like a lot of the misguided fans on AGS, believe the P5 are going to split away from the G5 somehow and that will allow JMU to get into the CUSA or who knows what they think.

Perhaps if reality hits them during the next year, they'll wake up and accept the Sun Belt's offer before Missouri State gets in good enough position to take it.

Or maybe they'll keep their noses held high for the next twelve years and watch as programs like App St, GA Southern and Old Dominion steal the limelight.

Wouldn't be the first time a program that was in the right position to move up has passed on the opportunity only to then move up much later. They would basically be to the CAA what East Carolina was to the CUSA for many years. A program with a big football stadium, lots of fan support in football and nothing else to offer to a higher level conference sitting there wondering why they always get passed up for invitations to the conference they think they should belong to.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Or maybe they'll keep their noses held high for the next twelve years and watch as programs like App St, GA Southern and Old Dominion steal the limelight.

Hard to think you typed this with a straight face.

walliver
June 17th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Georgia Southern was always sort of an outlier in the SoCon and joined its peers in the Sun Belt.
App State wanted in C-USA and was turned down in place of two start-up programs in larger markets and eventually settled for "Mr. Right Now".
JMU is in a conference of its peers and looks at Sun Belt schools as inferior and chooses to sit tight.

Each school has chosen to do what it perceives is in its best interest. I doubt JMU will regret its decision. If the current subdivision persist, there will be future opportunities. IF the current lawsuits change the economic landscape in major ways about which we can only speculate. And the current NCAA policy preventing a team from moving to FBS is a blatant anti-trust violation (it just makes no sense for a school to sue its way in since that school would then have to schedule games against the people it just sued. Good luck with that.)

SpeedkingATL
June 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Georgia Southern was always sort of an outlier in the SoCon and joined its peers in the Sun Belt.
App State wanted in C-USA and was turned down in place of two start-up programs in larger markets and eventually settled for "Mr. Right Now".
JMU is in a conference of its peers and looks at Sun Belt schools as inferior and chooses to sit tight.

Each school has chosen to do what it perceives is in its best interest. I doubt JMU will regret its decision. If the current subdivision persist, there will be future opportunities. IF the current lawsuits change the economic landscape in major ways about which we can only speculate. And the current NCAA policy preventing a team from moving to FBS is a blatant anti-trust violation (it just makes no sense for a school to sue its way in since that school would then have to schedule games against the people it just sued. Good luck with that.)

That sums it up pretty well IMO. I do wish JMU would reconsider as App and The Dukes already have a pretty good rivalry that could turn downright nasty (and downright fun) if they would join the Sun Belt. Both would benefit in recruiting too.

caribbeanhen
June 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM
When I think of Monmouth, I think of the Al Michaels Monday night football comment in Joe Flacco's NFL debut football game back in 2008.

mountaineer in Cane Land
June 18th, 2014, 07:54 AM
we will probably know in 3 years whether JMU holding out for a better offer was the right choice. Right now, their administration has the benefit of the doubt, basically saying we know what were doing, JMU fans be patent, it will all work out etc. But the fans aren't going to wait forever, if they start to see ODU, APP, GS having success, and things are not getting any better for them, they will show their displeasure, in diminishing support for the school. I still don't understand their logic, why not accept the SBC, get the transition period done with, use the SBC as the time to "pay your dues", learn how to run a FBS program etc. Then when USA or MAC start looking for new members, they would look a lot more attractive. We all assume that JMU is looking to move up if the right situation presents itself, but by the actions of the administration, I'm not so sure, kinda get the feeling they wouldn't have a problem staying the CAA for the long term.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
we will probably know in 3 years whether JMU holding out for a better offer was the right choice. Right now, their administration has the benefit of the doubt, basically saying we know what were doing, JMU fans be patent, it will all work out etc. But the fans aren't going to wait forever, if they start to see ODU, APP, GS having success, and things are not getting any better for them, they will show their displeasure, in diminishing support for the school. I still don't understand their logic, why not accept the SBC, get the transition period done with, use the SBC as the time to "pay your dues", learn how to run a FBS program etc. Then when USA or MAC start looking for new members, they would look a lot more attractive. We all assume that JMU is looking to move up if the right situation presents itself, but by the actions of the administration, I'm not so sure, kinda get the feeling they wouldn't have a problem staying the CAA for the long term.

Excellent post. You've hit the nail directly on the head.

My guess is that JMU admin refuse to accept that Old Dominion is better than them. So rather than do as you suggest, move to the Sun Belt to get their foot in the door, they think they should be able to jump directly into the CUSA too. Basically, because they have a big football stadium.

It's exactly like East Carolina thinking they deserved to be in the old Big East with Virginia Tech, because ECU had a big football stadium. Well, they finally did make it to the Big East - or what's left of it.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Excellent post. You've hit the nail directly on the head.

My guess is that JMU admin refuse to accept that Old Dominion is better than them. So rather than do as you suggest, move to the Sun Belt to get their foot in the door, they think they should be able to jump directly into the CUSA too. Basically, because they have a big football stadium.

It's exactly like East Carolina thinking they deserved to be in the old Big East with Virginia Tech, because ECU had a big football stadium. Well, they finally did make it to the Big East - or what's left of it.

From what I've been able to gather ODU is JMU's biggest advocate for C-USA membership.

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2014, 11:50 AM

The Big East name, history and records all belong to the current conference situated in New York. What is now the AAC (still located awkwardly in Providence) sold the birthright.

citdog
June 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Don't know what is is about the lesser schools in North Carolina that makes their people so envious of the Wakes, UNC's, and NC States but they have one of the worst cases of schmeckle envy ever diagnosed.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM
From what I've been able to gather ODU is JMU's biggest advocate for C-USA membership.

All the more reason why JMU thinks it deserves a direct transfer from the CAA into CUSA.

- - - Updated - - -

The Big East name, history and records all belong to the current conference situated in New York. What is now the AAC (still located awkwardly in Providence) sold the birthright.

I know. But you knew what I meant.

mountaineer in Cane Land
June 18th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Ive also heard that ODU is supportive of JMU joining, but at this moment it seems that it isn't enough to get an invitation in the near future, probably looking atleast a couple of years before USA starts even thinking about new members. Personally, if your ODU your loving this situation, you get 3, 4, maybe even 5 years headstart on them, and then if they finally get their invitation, you have your conference rival, and traveling partner. It couldn't have worked out better for them.