PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Coastal Carolina's HC Joe Moglia

bonarae
June 11th, 2014, 08:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11055733/coastal-carolina-chanticleers-joe-moglia-unlikely-college-football-innovator

After a long Wall Street career culminating with a CEO post, he made the move to coaching college football, and after two years as Coastal's HC, has the move paid off for him?

Wallace
June 12th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Moglia earned coach of the year honors in his first season on the job. In two years, Coastal has won 20 games and two conference titles. The Chanticleers have won 17 of their last 18 regular-season games against FCS foes, and those early critics have all but disappeared.

Still, it takes years to build a program, Moglia said, and he estimates Coastal Carolina has achieved only about 75 percent of his vision. There's still more data to be collected, opportunities to be exploited. But he's not interested in predicting the future. That's a lesson he learned on Wall Street.

"The problem with the business world is you have too many forecasters," he said. "Nobody knows what the world's going to look like five years from now. No clue. None. Zero. People say they do. They don't."

Moglia likes to look at the past to peck away at the tradition and uncover its weaknesses. The future is an impossibly fickle variable, but the past is constant and full of valuable information that so many other coaches assume they understand, but they don't. That's his story, really. People get too caught up in his unlikely journey to appreciate the impact each stop along the way made on him.

Moglia loves Frank Sinatra's "My Way." When he dies, he wants it played at his funeral, which seems only appropriate for a New York boy who made his way from Dyckman Street to Wall Street to a college in a sleepy town on the coast of South Carolina.

But really, Moglia just had the courage to go where the numbers told him to go.

You have to love it.

walliver
June 12th, 2014, 11:24 AM
to a college in a sleepy town on the coast of South Carolina

There are a lot of things you can say about Conway and Myrtle Beach, but "sleepy" isn't one of them.

At times I have wondered if this is where football may be headed in the future. The Head Coach becomes the CEO (or in Dabo Swinney's version - chief cheerleader), and hires competent assistants.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2014, 02:03 PM
There are a lot of things you can say about Conway and Myrtle Beach, but "sleepy" isn't one of them.

At times I have wondered if this is where football may be headed in the future. The Head Coach becomes the CEO (or in Dabo Swinney's version - chief cheerleader), and hires competent assistants.

I think the best HC's are the ones that accept that role and live by it.

Bisonator
June 12th, 2014, 02:08 PM

That's the best model for D1 anyway. The HC has too many responsibilities to have any meaningful hands on coaching duties IMO.

YoUDeeMan
June 13th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I think the best HC's are the ones that accept that role and live by it.

Don't tell that to Hen fans. CEO is not a term of endearment in these parts. Of course, that criticism mainly comes from the weak-minded control freaks.