PDA

View Full Version : Furman Loses A Pair Of Players

SU DOG
June 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Can and does happen anywhere, so no finger pointing on my part. I would like to hear from 'Dins on here, however, as to if this was at all expected and to what degree it will hurt the teram.

http://www.fox23news.com/sports/story/Furman-dismisses-pair-from-team/JRfLMqUgQE2ClV1A8YYNWA.cspx?rss=44

citdog
June 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM
furman sucks

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I didn't expect it and it certainly isn't going to help. As mentioned Hollman had All American Potential. No Clue what the problem was.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
They probably stood too near a bottle of beer.

walliver
June 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I think they got caught dancing.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I think they got caught dancing.

Blame it on this guy

http://thetrendguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Footloose.jpg

OL FU
June 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
PS, Furman is no longer a Baptist school.. Dancing and drinking are allowed (in certain areas of the campus):p

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Big losses. Hollman is probably not a starter, but he's a do everything guy that is extremely difficult for an offense to scheme around. He just about single handedly beat South Carolina State in the playoffs.

Thoni is also a big loss. Thoni was suspended the early part of last season, and did not return to the Citadel game. It forced Furman to play out of position all along the offensive line, and Furman's early season struggles were well-documented. The center may well be the most important position on the field besides QB.

Furman is still pretty deep at both DB and OL. I was not aware of issues with Hollman, but I do believe Thoni had already been suspended once. Bruce Fowler strikes me as a guy that doesn't put up with stuff for very long.

OL FU
June 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Big losses. Hollman is probably not a starter, but he's a do everything guy that is extremely difficult for an offense to scheme around. He just about single handedly beat South Carolina State in the playoffs.

Thoni is also a big loss. Thoni was suspended the early part of last season, and did not return to the Citadel game. It forced Furman to play out of position all along the offensive line, and Furman's early season struggles were well-documented. The center may well be the most important position on the field besides QB.

Furman is still pretty deep at both DB and OL. I was not aware of issues with Hollman, but I do believe Thoni had already been suspended once. Bruce Fowler strikes me as a guy that doesn't put up with stuff for very long.

I think Hollman started most games last year particularly the end of the season. He didn't start against NDSU. But he started against SCState. Wofford, Western, Samford. That's as far back as I went.

SU DOG
June 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I applaud Coach Fowler and Furman for doing what I imagine is the right thing. I think most of the SoCon Teams, fortunately, do not "suck-up" to players who cannot abide by team rules and school codes of conduct. Second chances are sometimes OK, but discipline MUST be exercised IMO. I'm sure the 'Dins will be even better off with the right type of kids who put their team first.

MR. CHICKEN
June 7th, 2014, 11:50 AM
PS, Furman is no longer a Baptist school.. Dancing and drinking are allowed (in certain areas of the campus):p

19034................CAMPUS SPEAKEASY.....xconfusedx............BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
June 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
furman sucks

19035..........IT'S TRUE.......MENTIONED IN LOTTAH THREADS...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
June 7th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I didn't expect it and it certainly isn't going to help. As mentioned Hollman had All American Potential. No Clue what the problem was.

19036............PROLLY....CAUGHT....BACKIN' OUTTAH UH SKEDDED....NORFFERN SQWAD......xdontknowx...BRAWK!

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I think Hollman started most games last year particularly the end of the season. He didn't start against NDSU. But he started against SCState. Wofford, Western, Samford. That's as far back as I went.

I debated on how to phrase it. He is technically listed as a "nickel" -- a fifth defensive back. Our starting lineup changed week to week depending on the competition.

Hollman, I think, was primarily used to shut down speed guys from a glorified linebacker position. Some call it "monster," "rover," or whatever. Just a guy that lines up all over the field and causes havoc. He probably didn't start against NDSU given the Bison's propensity for north-south running (necessitating, perhaps, a third linebacker instead of a fifth DB).

You are more correct, though, in that he was a starter. Furman can still keep a starting lineup intact without him, though, as he was not one of our two starting corners, safeties, or linebackers. Still, he was something like fourth on the team in tackles.

South Carolina State, in particular, had no answer for him. Fowler stunted him against the motion in the Bulldog backfield and basically shut down the option game. Perhaps one of the great defensive adjustments I've ever seen Furman make in a game.

citdog
June 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I debated on how to phrase it. He is technically listed as a "nickel" -- a fifth defensive back. Our starting lineup changed week to week depending on the competition.

Hollman, I think, was primarily used to shut down speed guys from a glorified linebacker position. Some call it "monster," "rover," or whatever. Just a guy that lines up all over the field and causes havoc. He probably didn't start against NDSU given the Bison's propensity for north-south running (necessitating, perhaps, a third linebacker instead of a fifth DB).

You are more correct, though, in that he was a starter. Furman can still keep a starting lineup intact without him, though, as he was not one of our two starting corners, safeties, or linebackers. Still, he was something like fourth on the team in tackles.

South Carolina State, in particular, had no answer for him. Fowler stunted him against the motion in the Bulldog backfield and basically shut down the option game. Perhaps one of the great defensive adjustments I've ever seen Furman make in a game.

This is looking like furman's squad is going to do what The Citadel did last year. HIGH expectations and lose a potential all-american center, ours was a two time all american, and then underachieve.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2014, 03:55 PM
This is looking like furman's squad is going to do what The Citadel did last year. HIGH expectations and lose a potential all-american center, ours was a two time all american, and then underachieve.

Perhaps. Two key players, but still a bunch of talent returning. I'd rather Furman be playing with them than without them, but I'm glad if there were dismissals it would be in the early part of the summer. Last season Furman lost players right at the beginning of the season, which put them largely in scramble mode for the first half of the year. At least this year they will be prepared for the absences.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM
There is some speculation on our forum that the likely replacement for Hollman is Richard Hayes, who was recruited as a DB but spent a lot of time at QB last season in the wildcat. He may be among the best athletes in the SoCon.

OL FU
June 8th, 2014, 09:23 AM

We absolutely, unequivocally refused to do anything like the Citadel. xsmugx

PaladinNation
June 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM
My guess is 'play any ol position' Charles Emert will play center.
Furman will have a very interesting blend of veterans and high potential newbies.
VETS
Emert C SR
Phillips G SR
Webber T SR
Marks T SR
Turner G JR
Floyd G JR
Monk T SO
Buonamia (http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/bios/buonamia_jackson_zii1) T SO
Magee C SO

NEWBIES
Black T RSFR
Rice T SO
Schmidt C/G FR could see action this season
Wade T FR **
Bush G FR **
Bryant T FR **
** two star recruits, my guess is all three will be redshirted.
Schmidt could be the steal and most likely to play with Thoni's departure - Schmidt would have gotten more looks from schools and my guess some stars if he had played his entire career at Dalton McMichael… went to Oak Ridge Military prior and only played his Jr and Sr seasons.

Thoni will be missed cause he played nasty… Schmidt plays the same way just way bigger than Thoni:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iahof43GqAc