PDA

View Full Version : The Infamous Ice Patch

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Had not noticed this was on youtube. One of the greatly debated plays since I've been on this forum. Not to inflict unneccsary pain on my Furman brethren, but found it interesting.

No ice patch tripping up one of the great all-time athletes in SoCon football history, Furman goes up 9 with App's offense sputtering, and App State likely never wins the national title in 2005.

To be fair, Furman still had the fourth down play. App State swarmed the man everyone in the stadium knew was getting the ball - Jerome Felton.

http://youtu.be/2fmiY0wAaOo

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
That was nothing compared to the national championship game last year. Sod was flying EVERYWHERE. Took down a Towson runner but probably wasn't the deal breaker.

AmsterBison
June 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Wow, that sucked for Furman.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2014, 11:19 AM
That was nothing compared to the national championship game last year. Sod was flying EVERYWHERE. Took down a Towson runner but probably wasn't the deal breaker.

More of just dumb luck than anything. There was ice and snow in the grandstands and on the field in the pre-game (I remember carefully making my way down the stands with a knee injury). The conditions were the same for everyone. App played on turf (though I think an early version of fieldturf), so it was no real disadvantage.

It is just an interesting concept to think of "what if." That was a great football game with two titans slugging it out for four quarters. You probably aren't as familiar with the history between the teams, but that was not the only strange play that ended a Furman/App game. Furman had already beaten App that season on a blocked field goal. The "Miracle on the Mountain" took place on that exact same spot on the field three years earlier.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2014, 11:26 AM
More of just dumb luck than anything. There was ice and snow in the grandstands and on the field in the pre-game (I remember carefully making my way down the stands with a knee injury). The conditions were the same for everyone. App played on turf (though I think an early version of fieldturf), so it was no real disadvantage.

It is just an interesting concept to think of "what if." That was a great football game with two titans slugging it out for four quarters. You probably aren't as familiar with the history between the teams, but that was not the only strange play that ended a Furman/App game. Furman had already beaten App that season on a blocked field goal. The "Miracle on the Mountain" took place on that exact same spot on the field three years earlier.

I've seen that play before, brutal. I hate field conditions creating situations that prevent actual performance. I'm not talking about weather, but actual field conditions. You can't really say it was the same for both teams because you cannot exactly replicate a play that would go to that spot at that angle, etc that screwed it up.

That's why I like games in domes. :)

MR. CHICKEN
June 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM

19031.............DAT'S IT.....TOWSON ROBBED.......FORMER....LEHIGH WIDEOUT...MUSTAH ENGINEERED......SOD EFFORT............................BRAWK!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 6th, 2014, 11:45 AM
19031.............DAT'S IT.....TOWSON ROBBED.......FORMER....LEHIGH WIDEOUT...MUSTAH ENGINEERED......SOD EFFORT............................BRAWK!

Since my team was winning, I can say it was pretty entertaining watching every NCAA and stadium official they could find replacing torn sod. Made the timeouts more enjoyable.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I've seen that play before, brutal. I hate field conditions creating situations that prevent actual performance. I'm not talking about weather, but actual field conditions. You can't really say it was the same for both teams because you cannot exactly replicate a play that would go to that spot at that angle, etc that screwed it up.

That's why I like games in domes. :)

Domes are great, but there's not but a small handful of college football stadiums with App's scenery at 3500 feet, close to 30k fans echoing off the mountains, temps in the 30s, and two old rivals slugging it out in a winner-take-all. Hard to replicate that anywhere.

App was dissatisfied in the SoCon, but it was a great place to watch Furman play football.

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM
The only comfort I take in that loss is if Ritchie Williams had not gone down in the first half, the game may not have been close. No one knows for sure but he and App were rolling pretty good until he went down.

Now if I have to remember heartbreaker's the one that still kills to this day is the loss to JMU in 2004. Nothing against the Dukes they had an impressive run in '04 playing all playoff games on the road but for 54 minutes FU was clearly the better team. We just couldn't open up a lead including a fumble going in the endzone that would have made it 20-7 in the third quarter.

OK, I am done with bad memories.

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM

I think there was a period of about 20 years where the winner was decided by less than a touchdown with the exception of 2 or 3 years.

Sir William
June 6th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Had not noticed this was on youtube. One of the greatly debated plays since I've been on this forum. Not to inflict unneccsary pain on my Furman brethren, but found it interesting.

No ice patch tripping up one of the great all-time athletes in SoCon football history, Furman goes up 9 with App's offense sputtering, and App State likely never wins the national title in 2005.

To be fair, Furman still had the fourth down play. App State swarmed the man everyone in the stadium knew was getting the ball - Jerome Felton.

The only comfort I take in that loss is if Ritchie Williams had not gone down in the first half, the game may not have been close. No one knows for sure but he and App were rolling pretty good until he went down.

Now if I have to remember heartbreaker's the one that still kills to this day is the loss to JMU in 2004. Nothing against the Dukes they had an impressive run in '04 playing all playoff games on the road but for 54 minutes FU was clearly the better team. We just couldn't open up a lead including a fumble going in the endzone that would have made it 20-7 in the third quarter.

Can we change the subject?! This is killing me. Next thing you know, someone will bring up Tracy Ham and the '85 national championship game...oops.

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Can we change the subject. This is killing me. Next thing you know, someone will bring up Tracy Ham and the '85 national championship game...oops.

Two Irishmen walked into a bar.............(literally):)

Sir William
June 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Two Irishmen walked into a bar.............(literally):)

I'm with ya!

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2014, 12:41 PM

The JMU game is notable in that the Dukes needed about 15 things to happen to win, and all of them in fact occurred. Punt block for a touchdown? Check. 21 yard scramble for a first down to keep the game alive? Check. Furman fumbles on the 1 yard line icing the game? Check. Furman misses an extra point? Check.

You look back at how good Furman was in 2004 and 2005, and those two games, and you really get the feeling we could have been back to back national champions. Wasn't in the cards, though.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Can we change the subject?! This is killing me. Next thing you know, someone will bring up Tracy Ham and the '85 national championship game...oops.

That one stings, but it stings less in memories after Furman turned around and beat the Eagles for the championship a few years later.

I wasn't at that game though. I was very much front and center on the other two.

JayJ79
June 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM
if Furman would have pulled it out, that would have set up a Furman/UNI championship.
that's alot of purple.

citdog
June 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
furman sucks

OL FU
June 6th, 2014, 03:48 PM
furman sucks

Bells Hopxrolleyesx

dungeonjoe
June 7th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Ah yes, OL FU ordered the Ingle Martini on the rocks in The Crappsville Bar that year as I recall. :)

AshevilleApp2
June 8th, 2014, 03:51 AM
I'm going to miss that series.

Things change, that's the nature of life. But I'm having a hard time getting excited about our annual brawl with Louisiana-Lafayette.

Go Green
June 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM
More of just dumb luck than anything. .

Dartmouth got a similar break in 1990 when Yale (then the defending Ivy champion) visited Hanover in a day of heavy rain. Memorial Field was a complete mudbowl.

In the fourth quarter, Yale was driving down for the potential go-ahead touchdown and faced a third and three. The QB kept it on an option sweep and had a clear path to the first down. But... he slipped. Brought up fourth and seven and Yale elected to punt. Sealed the win for Dartmouth.

And we ended up winning the first of three consecutive titles--the last Ivy team to "threepeat." And Yale had a series of lower-tier finishes in the league until they kicked Carm Cozza upstairs a few years later.

I always wondered how things would have played out if the Yale QB kept his footing on that play. :)

Wallace
June 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I'm going to miss that series. Things change, that's the nature of life. But I'm having a hard time getting excited about our annual brawl with Louisiana-Lafayette.

Yeah, forget the AppIcePatch (FBS wannabes get their wish)... after all the Furman - Wofford series is more historic

AshevilleApp2
June 8th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, forget the AppIcePatch (FBS wannabes get their wish)... after all the Furman - Wofford series is more historic

May your life move forward happily as well!