View Full Version : Howard Football Docked 1 Scholarship For 3 Years

Atouk
June 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
I didn't see this posted elsewhere. Sorry if I missed it.

The NCAA investigation at Howard was completed with the publication of a report on May 20th. Most of the problems and penalties relate to the track program, but there were a few in other areas as well. The football-related punishment is:

"Reduce grants-in-aid in the sport of football by one equivalency from the average annual amount awarded during the four-year period between the 2008-09 and 2011-12 academic years (58.19) during the 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18 academic years. (Institution imposed)"

Full report here:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Howard%20Public%20Decision.pdf

Howard's press release here:
http://hubison.com/news/2014/5/20/FB_0520142400.aspx

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
That's it?

Atouk
June 3rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
That's it?

For the football program, yes.

The athletic program as a whole is on probation for four years and has to pay a fine of $140,000.

There were minor scholarship reductions in other sports (0.5 for one year for MBB, 0.25 for two years for W swimming), but most of the penalties (scholarships, recruiting limitations, vacation of some wins) impact the track/cross country program.

Action plan website here: http://bisonchargingforward.com/

PAllen
June 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Honestly, vacating wins and a forced reduction in scholarships is about the least of Howard's issues right now. The $140K fine hurts, but at a time when voluntary reduction in scholarships (due to the institution's financial situation), I don't see a forced reduction as much of a punishment. That said, I don't know how big a hit Howard could take right now from the NCAA without it being a "death penalty". On the bright side, though still struggling, it looks like Howard as a whole is getting itself on the right path after years of mismanagement.

superman7515
June 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Howard has a long history of football issues in Division 1, especially under Willie Jeffries. It's a shame because they have potential, but every time they seem to get things under control, something comes up and they manage to shoot themselves in the foot again.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM
What's interesting is that the violation regarded:

the University's administration of its online book voucher program and the Banner student accounts system

which involved providing school supplies for their students (not just student-athletes, I think). The problem was there were abuses of the system by student-athletes, if I remember right.

Questions I have:

1. How will similar abuses be prevented in a stipend system by the P5? This modest program can't be a good sign in regards to implementing a similar program at P5 schools.

2. If this happened at Florida State, would there even be any docking of scholarships and/or fines?

813Jag
June 4th, 2014, 11:58 AM

which involved providing school supplies for their students (not just student-athletes, I think). The problem was there were abuses of the system by student-athletes, if I remember right.

Questions I have:

1. How will similar abuses be prevented in a stipend system by the P5? This modest program can't be a good sign in regards to implementing a similar program at P5 schools.

2. If this happened at Florida State, would there even be any docking of scholarships and/or fines?

What is your beef with Florida State?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2014, 12:02 PM
What is your beef with Florida State?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

That their athletes may be getting away with rape?

813Jag
June 4th, 2014, 12:08 PM
That their athletes may be getting away with rape?
All FSU teams are getting away with rape? News to me. Since this topic is about an academic situation, I would have expected you to use the FSU academic scandal. But anyway carry on.

PAllen
June 4th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Questions I have:

1. They will be ignored.
2. You know the answer to that.

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2014, 01:14 PM
What's interesting is that the violation regarded which involved providing school supplies for their students (not just student-athletes, I think). The problem was there were abuses of the system by student-athletes, if I remember right.

If you recall, Howard sent out a press release suspending the entire athletic program, only to rescind it three hours later.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2012/04/04/breaking-howard-university-suspends-all-sports-teams-games/