PDA

View Full Version : IF UNH wins out....

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
IF UNH wins out and finishes 9-2 do they get a home playoff game?

Atheltic Director Marty Scarano told the Union Leader, "We won't be hosting a playoff game, not with our facility,'' Scarano said. "If we finish 9-2, I will fight hard for home field, but they're (selection committee) adverse about playing here.''

What IF Mass loses twice before the seasons end, and UNH sneaks by with the auto bid, does that get them a seed?

Mr. C
October 24th, 2006, 12:14 AM
About the only way I would see UNH being at home for the first or second rounds would be with a top-four seed and the Wildcats pretty much blew that on Saturday.

October 24th, 2006, 12:15 AM
... Atheltic Director Marty Scarano told the Union Leader, "We won't be hosting a playoff game, not with our facility,'' Scarano said. "If we finish 9-2, I will fight hard for home field, but they're (selection committee) adverse about playing here.'' ...Didn't UNH host two games last year in the playoffs? What exactly is their AD saying?

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Didn't UNH host two games last year in the playoffs? What exactly is their AD saying?

They couldnt deny them the home games as long as they met the monetary requirements because they were the #1 seed correct?

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM
About the only way I would see UNH being at home for the first or second rounds would be with a top-four seed and the Wildcats pretty much blew that on Saturday.

If they finished 9-2 and snuck by Umass for the auto bid for the A-10 whats the odds they get a seed?

October 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
They couldnt deny them the home games as long as they met the monetary requirements because they were the #1 seed correct?So he's conceding a seed? Or conceding a top ranking? Or both?

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Not sure, heres the article if anyone wants to read it (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+tourney+hopes+intact%2c+ but+loss+puts+home+NCAA+playoff+game+in+doubt&articleId=2ba6feb9-0d56-4967-8de9-9d87f6b13ace).

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 24th, 2006, 12:28 AM
UNH winning out and taking UMass out in the process still won't garentee the Auto-bid... Three other scenarios can pan out.
First-JMU wins out and gets the Autobid
Second-JMU talleys only one A10 loss and receives the Auto bid
Third- somehow, UMass looses 3 games and Maine looses two and JMU gets the autobid with two conference losses.

You've gotta make the bid to get the home game especially if you're not seeded.

Green26
October 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Are you asking whether UNH would get a top 4 seed, and thus get a couple home playoff games--or are you in effect asking if UNH's AD will make a high enough guaranteed bid to be one of the 4 at-large teams who will host in the first round? I assume you know that the top 4 seeds get home games, if they make the minimum bid, which is not very large, to my knowledge. I doubt that UNH would be able to make a high enough bid to get a first-round game, but if some big donor wants to put up big bucks for the bid, a bigger bid can be made.

While the first listed criterion is quality of facility, my impression is that the second criterion (revenue potential) is the most important factor. Perhaps some of you know more on this than I. The next 3 listed criteria are: attendance history and potential, team performance, and student-athlete well-being. My understanding is that the ncaa is guaranteed the minimum bid, and then gets a percentage of the gate.

I would be curious to learn about whether a weak facility would be enough to keep a team with a high guaranteed bid from being selected as a host.

The minimum bid for the rounds are $30,000, $40,000 and $50,000.

The ncaa hosting criteria are on p. 7 of the rules. Here's the link:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:38 AM
UNH winning out and taking UMass out in the process still won't garentee the Auto-bid... Three other scenarios can pan out.
First-JMU wins out and gets the Autobid
Second-JMU talleys only one A10 loss and receives the Auto bid
Third- somehow, UMass looses 3 games and Maine looses two and JMU gets the autobid with two conference losses.

You've gotta make the bid to get the home game especially if you're not seeded.

I know its difficult for UNH to get the auto bid, was just asking if they did if they would getb a seed at 9-2.

JMU has the toughest of the 4 schedules between them, Mass, Maine and UNH remaining, Mass has the secoind toughest and UNH and Maines are equaly tough. I can envision a 4 way tie between them when alls said and done

October 24th, 2006, 12:39 AM
... The ncaa hosting criteria are on p. 7 of the rules...crikeys, just check here with the rest of us:
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37174

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Are you asking whether UNH would get a top 4 seed, and thus get a couple home playoff games--or are you in effect asking if UNH's AD will make a high enough guaranteed bid to be one of the 4 at-large teams who will host in the first round? I assume you know that the top 4 seeds get home games, if they make the minimum bid, which is not very large, to my knowledge. I doubt that UNH would be able to make a high enough bid to get a first-round game, but if some big donor wants to put up big bucks for the bid, a bigger bid can be made.

While the first listed criterion is quality of facility, my impression is that the second criterion (revenue potential) is the most important factor. Perhaps some of you know more on this than I. The next 3 listed criteria are: attendance history and potential, team performance, and student-athlete well-being. My understanding is that the ncaa is guaranteed the minimum bid, and then gets a percentage of the gate.

I would be curious to learn about whether a weak facility would be enough to keep a team with a high guaranteed bid from being selected as a host.

The minimum bid for the rounds are $30,000, $40,000 and $50,000.

The ncaa hosting criteria are on p. 7 of the rules. Here's the link:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf

I was asking if at 9-2 they geta home game, then was asking if at 9-2 they won the auto bid would that get them a seed and home game

October 24th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I was asking if at 9-2 they geta home game, then was asking if at 9-2 they won the auto bid would that get them a seed and home gameWin the A-10 AQ, UNH, and get a game in Durham!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Didn't UNH host two games last year in the playoffs? What exactly is their AD saying?

Reading between the lines.

What he is saying is we need a new stadium.

His point is that even if the team does there job to get a home game we may not get one....so State of NH get to work getting this stadium project going!!!!

Sam Adams
October 24th, 2006, 07:26 AM
IMO UNH had best concern themselves with Hofstra and stopping the bleeding rather than worry about theoretical scenarios. The wildcats defense is in tatters. The notion that UNH is going to beat Hofstra, UMass, Maine and URI to end the season is not supported by the performance of UNH on the field.

HensRock
October 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM

His point is that even if the team does there job to get a home game we may not get one....so State of NH get to work getting this stadium project going!!!!

This York County (PA) resident gives the York County (ME) man a cigar!

It's not just a question of making a big bid. It used to be that way but the NCAA has changed things up to be more fair to small er schools and to make sure that I-AA is shown in a positive light. They look at the quality of facilities - will there be a lighting problem? - will the stadium support a TV crew/sideline cameras/endzone cameras? - Are the stands going to look pathetically small/empty on TV?

The AD is correct. Without a seed, UNH has virtually no chance of hosting a playoff game and it's not because of the bid money, it's all about the facilities.

Now to the other question, do I think UNH can get a seed if they are the A10 AQ? Yes, that's possible, but I do not think UNH controls their own destiny in that regard. Some other top team would have to stumble to make that happen. You figure Montana from the Big Sky, ASU from the SoCon, Illinois State from the Gateway. There's a chance that a 2nd Gateway team could take a seed, but I would guess that the 4th seed would go to the A10 AQ. And for what it's worth, I think in the end that will be UMass, not UNH. If any of those other top teams stumble, then things open up a bit more but regardless of how it plays out, I think the 4 seeds will go to top teams from those 4 conferences. Cal Poly is the Wildcard in this whole scenario. :twocents:

Umass74
October 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I for one, would really like to see UNH get a new stadium.

They deserve one. :hurray:

HensRock
October 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM
IMO UNH had best concern themselves with Hofstra and stopping the bleeding rather than worry about theoretical scenarios. The wildcats defense is in tatters. The notion that UNH is going to beat Hofstra, UMass, Maine and URI to end the season is not supported by the performance of UNH on the field.

Sam Adams is absolutely right.

UNHWildCat,
I recall during the UD/UNH game on the game thread, one of the App State fans remarked, "Consider your defense exposed", which you quickly dismissed. He was absolutley right too. Delaware lost that game, but exposed a weakness in UNH that 2 teams have been able to capitalize on so far. The Wildcats have more pressing issues than worrying about a home game in the playoffs.

IMO, UNH better be worried about getting an AWAY game for the playoffs!

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Sam Adams is absolutely right.

UNHWildCat,
I recall during the UD/UNH game on the game thread, one of the App State fans remarked, "Consider your defense exposed", which you quickly dismissed. He was absolutley right too. Delaware lost that game, but exposed a weakness in UNH that 2 teams have been able to capitalize on so far. The Wildcats have more pressing issues than worrying about a home game in the playoffs.

IMO, UNH better be worried about getting an AWAY game for the playoffs!

The thing is everyone has there job to do.

The COACHES and PLAYERS job is to not be looking past Hofstra.
It is also addressing (or trying to) problems on defence.

I know they are doing their job.

The AD's job (at least part of it) is keeping a new facility a topic of discussion.

From the news paper it looks like he's doing his job.

It's UNHWildcats job to post homer whistling thru the graveyard things on internet message boards.

We all see he's doing his job.

I hope they all get the job done.

TexasTerror
October 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
UNH's playoff hopes take serious hit

By Mike Zhe
[email protected]

All season long, University of New Hampshire football fans looked at the Nov. 4 game against Massachusetts like it was a heavyweight fight, a clash between the two biggest bullies on the block.

The way things stand now, it could very well be the knockout punch.

The Wildcats, reeling after Saturday's 36-35, overtime loss at Northeastern, dropped to 5-2 overall and saw hopes of defending their Atlantic 10 title disappear.

More importantly, they must now win three of their last four games to finish 8-3 and merit consideration for the I-AA playoffs, something that seemed a given just 10 days ago.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/10242006/sports-collegefootball1024.html

UNH 40
October 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Lets worry about Hofstra first here. Now more than ever it is important to look at this thing one game at a time. I hope they go back to running the football and establishing that will open up the pass. Hopefully the Defense can play a little better even though last week was not there fault, that one was on the offense and missed opportunities.

bandl
October 24th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Hopefully the Defense can play a little better even though last week was not there fault, that one was on the offense and missed opportunities.
Well they still gave up 36 points in one week...that's not a sign of a good defense. :eyebrow: right?

Green26
October 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM
It's not possible to know at this point whether UNH would be seeded at 9-2, because it is so dependent on what happens to the other top teams (as others have said above). I think UNH would have a shot at a seed, because they would have beaten UMass, and I think it's likely that some of the top teams will lose again. For example, while Montana could win out, Cal Poly and Mont. St. are tough games, and the MSU came may come down to the conference auto-bid game. In the two years that MSU had gone to the playoffs in recent history, they qualified for the auto-bid by beating Montana in the last game of the season, I believe.

Of course, as some have said, beating UMass will not be easy.

I'd be curious to learn more about the referenced change in the manner in which home games are selected in the first round, which was mentioned above. Did the criteria change, or was this a change in interpretation or emphasis. I was not aware of any change like this. Ralph, can you shed more like on this?

UNH 40
October 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Well they still gave up 36 points in one week...that's not a sign of a good defense. :eyebrow: right?

Unless you were at the game you would really be able to understand why I thought that the D played OK but you're right it isn't very good to allow 36 points. An interception gave NU the ball on the 5 yardline and scored 3 plays later, and on another TD NU ran a halfback option pass for a 35 yd TD on third and 5 or 6, that would have worked on the best of defenses in the country. Take those two situations out and you are talking about 14 points, because overtime would have never happened. But those two things did happen and we lost.

bandl
October 24th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Unless you were at the game you would really be able to understand why I thought that the D played OK but you're right it isn't very good to allow 36 points. An interception gave NU the ball on the 5 yardline and scored 3 plays later, and on another TD NU ran a halfback option pass for a 35 yd TD on third and 5 or 6, that would have worked on the best of defenses in the country. Take those two situations out and you are talking about 14 points, because overtime would have never happened. But those two things did happen and we lost.

I wasn't at the game...so I'll spot you those 14 points. 22 ain't so bad. But what about the 42 from the week before?? I guess if you subtract 7 for the INT returned for a TD, then it's only 35 points. But now it sounds like perhaps the offense is also struggling in areas they are not used to, since they are giving the ball over for easy points and all. :confused:

rcny46
October 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=bandl]I wasn't at the game...so I'll spot you those 14 points. 22 ain't so bad. But what about the 42 from the week before?? I guess if you subtract 7 for the INT returned for a TD, then it's only 35 points. But now it sounds like perhaps the offense is also struggling in areas they are not used to, since they are giving the ball over for easy points and all. :confused:[/QUOT

Not that it was a deciding factor,but UNH was missing 4 starters on defense,and for a team that doesn't have a lot of experienced depth,that's doesn't help matters.There was one player out on the offensive unit,and before the end of the first half,he was joined by another.It was just a bad day all around-dropped punts and passes,7 penalties (15 in two weeks),and QB sacks(16 in three weeks).If they can ever put a complete game together,and get over the injury bug,they will do well.

NC Aggie
October 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
It's not possible to know at this point whether UNH would be seeded at 9-2, because it is so dependent on what happens to the other top teams (as others have said above). I think UNH would have a shot at a seed, because they would have beaten UMass, and I think it's likely that some of the top teams will lose again. For example, while Montana could win out, Cal Poly and Mont. St. are tough games, and the MSU came may come down to the conference auto-bid game. In the two years that MSU had gone to the playoffs in recent history, they qualified for the auto-bid by beating Montana in the last game of the season, I believe.

Of course, as some have said, beating UMass will not be easy.

I'd be curious to learn more about the referenced change in the manner in which home games are selected in the first round, which was mentioned above. Did the criteria change, or was this a change in interpretation or emphasis. I was not aware of any change like this. Ralph, can you shed more like on this?

I don't see Montana State being a tough game. They lost to Chadron and got blown out by UC Davis. They might have got a recent win or two, but they are not that good.

bandl
October 24th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Not that it was a deciding factor,but UNH was missing 4 starters on defense,and for a team that doesn't have a lot of experienced depth,that's doesn't help matters.Another one was out on the offensive unit,and before the end of the first half,he was joined by another.It was just a bad day all around-dropped punts and passes,7 penalties (15 in two weeks),and QB sacks(16 in three weeks).If they can ever put a complete game together,and get over the injury bug,they will do well. :bang: :bang: :bang:
I good team doesn't drop that many punts/passes, give up that many penalties or allow that many sacks, and they have some depth on the bench in case of injuries....right? :confused:

I'm not a UNH hater by any means, in fact I am a UNH supporter. But IMO they just don't have all the parts necessary to win a NC, let alone even make it into the playoffs. They aren't even close right now, something has got to change....who knows, maybe the scrubs riding the bench are the real players on the team and can step up and take UNH back up where it belongs.

blukeys
October 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
The thing is everyone has there job to do.

The COACHES and PLAYERS job is to not be looking past Hofstra.
It is also addressing (or trying to) problems on defence.

I know they are doing their job.

The AD's job (at least part of it) is keeping a new facility a topic of discussion.

From the news paper it looks like he's doing his job.

It's UNHWildcats job to post homer whistling thru the graveyard things on internet message boards.

We all see he's doing his job.

I hope they all get the job done.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM
bandl,

The UNH defense held NU to seven points through three quarters and the one TD was the halfback option mentioned earlier, a thing of beauty BTW! That is more than enough time for the strength of the UNH team to score points IMHO. The defense can and has played well enough to "buy" plenty of time for the offense. And I've watched the first half of the JMU game twice and feel the same way about that game.

And in the NU game, don't forget the short field TD (around 40 yards IIRC) after the dropped kickoff pinned UNH deep and eventually punting from the end zone into the wind. It was right after the five yard TD drive after the INT by a now very inspired NU offense.

And the JMU game had two short field TDs that broke the game completely open -- the drop by the punter of the perfect snap giving JMU the ball inside the 20 and the failed fourth down try by UNH on their own 20. JMU being a good team took advantage and the game went from 28-10 to 42-10.

Right now UNH is not doing the little things well that real good teams do. And despite some high yardage, the offense isn't as efficient as they've been in the past. :twocents:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM

IF UNH makes the playoffs and doesn't get a home game, then hopefully that pushes this new stadium project into reality. I was really hoping there would be an annoucement Homecoming Weekend.

BTW, I hope you're not waiting for the State of NH to provide a new stadium! :eek: It will NEVER happen because they're only willing to add some funds once the majority has been raised elsewhere.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM
IF UNH makes the playoffs and doesn't get a home game, then hopefully that pushes this new stadium project into reality. I was really hoping there would be an annoucement Homecoming Weekend.

BTW, I hope you're not waiting for the State of NH to provide a new stadium! :eek: It will NEVER happen because they're only willing to add some funds once the majority has been raised elsewhere.

No not The State of New Hampshire, but the people of the state.

igo4uni
October 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Win the A-10 AQ, UNH, and get a game in Durham!

I was sorta hopin' that UNH could come to Cedar Falls for a game.

Umass74
October 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I reside in the great Granite state. I would certainly vote for a bond issue for new facilities for UNH------ if some NH pol would get that on the ballot:)

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Does or has any team every had a stadium a significat distance off campus and if so whats the farthest distance said stadium was from campus?

Umass74
October 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Does or has any team every had a stadium a significat distance off campus and if so whats the farthest distance said stadium was from campus?

Northeastern's stadium is across the city from their campus.

Richmond plays in "City Stadium", which is also nowhere near their campus.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Northeastern's stadium is across the city from their campus.

Richmond plays in "City Stadium", which is also nowhere near their campus.

to meet it would make more sense for UNH to attempt a deal with Manchester to build a stadium where Manchester pays a percentage of it and have access to the stadium for high school games. Having the stadium in Manchester makes it easily accesible throughout the state where Interstate 93 and Route 101 the two major corridors of the state intersect in Manchester. Also, I dont know this for sure but I would assume when Dartmout travels to Durham they take I89 to I93 to Manchester then the additional 45 minutes east on Route 101 it makes it easier for teams to get there aswell.

Manchester has recently had great sucess building great venues with the Verizon Wireless Arena and Merchants.com Field home of the AA NH FIshercats

bcrawf
October 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I know Indiana State's stadium is about 4 miles from campus and that works great for them. I mean they had almost 800 people actually there for the UNI Game!!

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I was sorta hopin' that UNH could come to Cedar Falls for a game.

No thanks. Regardless of being in the Dome, or the losing streak, I want to stay away from them.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
No thanks. Regardless of being in the Dome, or the losing streak, I want to stay away from them.

Especially when revenge is better served in the other guys house.

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Especially when revenge is better served in the other guys house.

I won't disagree with that. Ball indoors on turf almost seems more scary.

UNHWildCats
October 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM
that would be a good rematch in Chatanooga though :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
to meet it would make more sense for UNH to attempt a deal with Manchester to build a stadium where Manchester pays a percentage of it and have access to the stadium for high school games. Having the stadium in Manchester makes it easily accesible throughout the state where Interstate 93 and Route 101 the two major corridors of the state intersect in Manchester. Also, I dont know this for sure but I would assume when Dartmout travels to Durham they take I89 to I93 to Manchester then the additional 45 minutes east on Route 101 it makes it easier for teams to get there aswell.

Manchester has recently had great sucess building great venues with the Verizon Wireless Arena and Merchants.com Field home of the AA NH FIshercats

For the record, travel between Hanover and Durham would not go through Manchester. Rather it would be I-89 then I-93 North, I-393 East and US 4 East all via Concord.

UNHW, you've got the concept correct, but the locale of the new stadium will be Durham. The plans I've heard discussed include field turf and lights in order to hold multiple events on a weekend (HS/UNH Soccer, Football, etc.). The idea is to provide the largest outdoor venue in NH for concerts, the HS Football and Soccer Playoffs, UNH sporting events, etc.

JMHO, but keeping your stadium as close to campus as possible is preferable. Got to make it as easy as possible for the students to get there. And the student support this year has been fantastic. Actually, the best student section I've ever seen at UNH in all my years. The new end zone bleachers for the students and the band has been a tremendous addition!

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
that would be a good rematch in Chatanooga though :D

agreed.