PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the SoCon QBs

The Cats
June 1st, 2014, 09:22 PM
The SaturdayBlitz.com has a two part article that ranks this years' SoCon QBs.

saturdayblitz.com/2014/05/30/socon-football-2014-ranking-leagues-field-generals/ (http://saturdayblitz.com/2014/05/30/socon-football-2014-ranking-leagues-field-generals/)

saturdayblitz.com/2014/06/01/2014-socon-football-ranking-quarterbacks-part-2/ (http://saturdayblitz.com/2014/06/01/2014-socon-football-ranking-quarterbacks-part-2/)

Here's their rankings, how close to being right are they?

1. Jacob Huesman (UTC)
2. Reese Hannon (Furman)
3. John Russ (Mercer)
4. Michael Eubank (Samford)
5. Eddie Sullivan/Troy Mitchell (WCU)
6. Aaron Miller (The Citadel)
7. Michael Weimer/Evan Jacks (Wofford)
8. Ryan Swingle/Alex Cobb (VMI)

IMO opinion, the Mercer QB may be ranked a little to high. He has not played a conference schedule against FCS scholarship players, and his numbers could take a serious nose dive this season.

Or he may be that good, guess we'll see.

Rubank at Samford is a big question mark at this point, he certainly has potential. But potential does not always work out.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM
The SaturdayBlitz.com has a two part article that ranks this years' SoCon QBs.

saturdayblitz.com/2014/05/30/socon-football-2014-ranking-leagues-field-generals/ (http://saturdayblitz.com/2014/05/30/socon-football-2014-ranking-leagues-field-generals/)

saturdayblitz.com/2014/06/01/2014-socon-football-ranking-quarterbacks-part-2/ (http://saturdayblitz.com/2014/06/01/2014-socon-football-ranking-quarterbacks-part-2/)

Here's their rankings, how close to being right are they?

1. Jacob Huesman (UTC)
2. Reese Hannon (Furman)
3. John Russ (Mercer)

IMO opinion, the Mercer QB may be ranked a little to high. He has not played a conference schedule against FCS scholarship players, and his numbers could take a serious nose dive this season.

Or he may be that good, guess we'll see.

Rubank at Samford is a big question mark at this point, he certainly has potential. But potential does not always work out.

I would probably put Russ 4th or 5th but the wildcard here is that VMI, Samford, and Citadel have a new starter so anything is possible. I don't think there is any doubt that Huesman should be #1 and Hannon should be #2 at this point though.

citdog
June 1st, 2014, 09:47 PM
I would probably put Russ 4th or 5th but the wildcard here is that VMI, Samford, and Citadel have a new starter so anything is possible. I don't think there is any doubt that Huesman should be #1 and Hannon should be #2 at this point though.

Aaron Miller has as much experience as anyone in the league with the exception of Huesman. He will lead the Cadets to victory this fall.

walliver
June 1st, 2014, 10:36 PM
Interestingly, the two Wofford QB's listed are currently #2 and #3 on the depth chart.

CID1990
June 1st, 2014, 10:38 PM
Aaron Miller has as much experience as anyone in the league with the exception of Huesman. He will lead the Cadets to victory this fall.

of all of the first time starters he is definitely the one with the most experience (although technically he has started before)

i think a lot if people are going to overlook us this fall

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2014, 12:32 AM

With App and GSU gone someone will step up and I could see you being right for sure. Miller is not bad and I could see him pushing to be the #3 or #2 QB in the league. Citadel and Samford both are teams who have the talent in place to challenge for an at-large playoff spot if the QB play is good.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2014, 12:34 AM
of all of the first time starters he is definitely the one with the most experience (although technically he has started before)

i think a lot if people are going to overlook us this fall

I don't think anyone will overlook you. Heading into the year I think everyone will have UTC and Furman atop the league but Samford and Citadel are two teams with enough talent to challenge for a playoff spot. Just need strong QB play, as I said before. I would love to see the SoCon get 3 playoff bids this year and if they do I expect Samford and/or Citadel to be among them.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM
Russ is a good player. I'm interested to see what he does against some good defenses this year.

seantaylor
June 3rd, 2014, 01:57 AM
Weakest set of signal callers I remember in the league.

chattownmocs
June 3rd, 2014, 06:02 AM
Weakest set of signal callers I remember in the league.

Ellison would be 7th at best.

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Ellison would be 7th at best.

I wouldn't say they are going to be the weakest but certainly the least experienced and most unknown. There aren't 2 or 3 stars returning but just a couple of teams with a starter back. Huesman is a top 5-8 QB in FCS but after that I don't think I would put the next SoCon QB higher than around 30-35 at this point.

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't say they are going to be the weakest but certainly the least experienced and most unknown. There aren't 2 or 3 stars returning but just a couple of teams with a starter back. Huesman is a top 5-8 QB in FCS but after that I don't think I would put the next SoCon QB higher than around 30-35 at this point.

By even remotely agreeing with Sean Taylor, you may force me to stop reading your posts:D

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
By even remotely agreeing with Sean Taylor, you may force me to stop reading your posts:D

LOL. He used the wrong word there but I think you can even agree that the perception is the league is weak at QB, mainly because of the lack of experience. It was like the year after Austen Lane and Larry Hart's group graduated from FCS, I said and so did others, that DE was the weak position in FCS but it then bounced back as a strength a year later on. Just have to give these young guys time to develop.

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
LOL. He used the wrong word there but I think you can even agree that the perception is the league is weak at QB, mainly because of the lack of experience. It was like the year after Austen Lane and Larry Hart's group graduated from FCS, I said and so did others, that DE was the weak position in FCS but it then bounced back as a strength a year later on. Just have to give these young guys time to develop.

Not the pointxblehx

But yeah. I am hopeful that Hannon stays healthy all year. Will be interesting to see how he starts to stack up against some of Furman's past QBs. I am optimistic.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM

Completely disagree. Hannon is in line to shatter Furman passing records. Husemann, as you note, one of the top FCS QBS. A healthy Hannon is probably up there with him.

If Eubanks is even remotely up to billing, I think the SoCon potentially has three very good FCS quarterbacks playing simultaneously. When was the last time that happened? I'm not talking about running backs that occasionally throw, but actual quarterbacks. Sorrells, Riddle, and Edwards?

chattownmocs
June 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Huesman can be a top QB in fcs if he can complete deep passes this year. He missed almost all of them last year. He is a great runner and very accurate short passer but you have to be able to get big plays down the field when they are available. If he can improve that area, he will put up number worthy of payton consideration.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Huesman can be a top QB in fcs if he can complete deep passes this year. He missed almost all of them last year. He is a great runner and very accurate short passer but you have to be able to get big plays down the field when they are available. If he can improve that area, he will put up number worthy of payton consideration.

I think the downfield game is an issue for the Mocs. Husemann was kind of a one man band last year. I thought the Mocs relied far too much on their superb TE, which is a primary reason you see Husemann have a high completion percentage, high efficiency, and only moderate yardage through the air (ranks last in yards per game among the "true" starting QBs in the conference). He more or less was Chris Forcier from 2011 - good runner the coaches loved to see move out of the pocket to hit an all american TE.

With Robinson off the team, the Mocs desperately need to develop a downfield look. No Moc receiver was even a blip on the SoCon radar for top receivers. A lot of that is scheme oriented. In fact, I've thought that the offensive scheme has held UTC back for a number of years.

SU DOG
June 3rd, 2014, 05:22 PM
I am, of course biased, but Eubank did surprise me in the spring with how well he threw. Kid has a lot of talent to go with all that size.

citdog
June 3rd, 2014, 06:39 PM
I am, of course biased, but Eubank did surprise me in the spring with how well he threw. Kid has a lot of talent to go with all that size.

Is this Qb of yours 46 years old like the last?

The Cats
September 5th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Here's the preseason rankings, how close to being right are they?

1. Jacob Huesman (UTC)
2. Reese Hannon (Furman)
3. John Russ (Mercer)

here's how they did in week #1

UTC - Huesman - vs Central Michigan (FBS) -
Passing - 13 completions for 24 attempts - 150 yards (4 Interceptions), 2 TD -
Rushing - 46 yards - no TDs

FU - Harron - vs Gardner-Webb (FCS) -
Passing - 21 completions for 30 attempts - 221 yards (0 Interceptions), 1 TDs -
Rushing - 8 yards - no TDs
FU - Woodruff - Gardner-Webb (FCS)-
Passing - 3 completions for 4 attempts - 28 yards (0 Interceptions), 0 TDs -
Rushing - 24 yards - no TDs

MU - Russ - vs. Reinhardt (NAIA) -
Passing - 16 completions for 22 attempts - 246 yards (1 Interceptions), 3 TDs -
Rushing - 54 yards - no TDs

SU - Eubank - vs TCU (FBS) -
Passing - 8 completions for 15 attempts - 63 yards (1 Interceptions), 3 TDs -
Rushing - 64 yards - no TDs

WCU - Mitchell - vs USF (FBS) -
Passing - 46 completions for 66 attempts - 374 yards (0 Interceptions), 2 TDs -
Rushing - 44 yards - 1 TDs

Citadel - Miller - vs CCU (FCS) -
Passing - 1 completion for 8 attempts - 19 yards (0 Interceptions), 0 TDs -
Rushing - 58 yards - 0 TDs

WC - Weimer - vs. Ga Tech (FSB) -
Passing - 2 completions for 4 attempts - 29 yards (0 Interceptions), 0 TDs -
Rushing - 8 yards - 0 TDs
WC - Jacks -
Passing - 5 completions for 9 attempts - 26 yards (0 Interceptions), 0 TDs -
Rushing - 91 yards - 0 TDs

VMI - Cobb - vs. Bucknell (FCS) -
Passing - 27 completions for 40 attempts - 308 yards (0 Interceptions), 4 TDs -
Rushing - 91 yards - 0 TDs

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I'd say Evan Jacks is underrated.

Also that this list is kind of a trick question because Miller and Jacks are not going to put up the same sort of offensive numbers (namely passing) as other are but could still be just as good or better QB's within their respective systems

SCPALADIN
September 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM
No point in even examining this topic until all of the QBs have a few games under their belts.

FUBeAR
September 5th, 2014, 05:05 PM
No point in even examining this topic until all of the QBs have a few games under their belts.

FU is going to have to keep 1 QB upright for more than 1 game in a row then. xslapfightx