PDA

View Full Version : Florida wants to avoid playing FCS teams

CSN-info
June 1st, 2014, 11:42 AM
gee,wonder why

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2014-05-30/florida-head-coach-will-muschamp-wants-avoid-playing-fcs-teams

centennial
June 1st, 2014, 01:37 PM
This has been discussed before on here. Losing to GSU probably changed their mind.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 1st, 2014, 01:39 PM
''And I think our fan base wants to see better opponents,'' he added.

Try beating the ones you have.

CSN-info
June 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
''I understand what Will's saying,'' Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said. ''In a perfect world, you play all DI schools."

DIVVY anyone?

MplsBison
June 2nd, 2014, 02:01 PM
The only way the P5 would only play games against other P5 teams is if they left the NCAA to form their own association.

There's too much value in them playing games against the G5. Coaches need wins! Else they get the axe (sooner).

paward
June 2nd, 2014, 08:19 PM
In the mean time never thought I would live to see the day Georgia beat Florida twice in one year.

OL FU
June 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Muschamp is still coaching at Floridaxconfusedx

walliver
June 3rd, 2014, 08:24 AM
Muschamp is still coaching at Floridaxconfusedx

I suspect he will be fired mid-season this year.

813Jag
June 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
I suspect he will be fired mid-season this year.
I hope he lasts until their last game in November

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/million-dollars-baby-cost-of-big-ten-opponents-keeps-rising-060414

The Big Ten, in essence, is facing a self-inflicted double penalty based on its decision not to play FCS teams. Though FCS opponents are plentiful, they also command far less money on the guarantee game market. Big Ten teams will pay an average of about $438,181 for 11 home games against FCS teams in 2014 -- roughly $389,657 less than the cost of a one-time FBS game guarantee. Last year, 10 Big Ten teams paid an average of $494,500 per home game against an FCS opponent, based on contracts obtained by FOXSportsWisconsin.com.
The decision to drop FCS teams leaves Big Ten athletic directors with three remaining options when scheduling games: Create a home-and home series against a power-conference team, play a neutral-site game or schedule a mid-major program for a one-time game guarantee. Talk also has surfaced recently of Big Ten teams scheduling other Big Ten schools in supposed nonconference games to boost schedule strength, though that option remains distant.

My god... who could have predicted this?

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/b1gs-collossally-stupid-decision-to.html

Critics of FCS vs. FBS contests have two main criticisms of these games: that they replace games against traditional powers that would count towards the postseason, or that FBS games in general are more exciting and/or get more fannies in the seats or TV ratings. Both criticisms are ridiculous.

Traditional college football powers will not suddenly replace home games against Jacksonville State with home-and-homes against Michigan State.

Why would Alabama trade a sellout against an FCS foe, which still counts for bowl eligibility, for a home-and-home where their fans will have to travel across the country? After all, Alabama scheduled 1-10 FCS Western Carolina last year, and nobody questioned their strength of schedule after they walloped their SEC competition and Notre Dame in the crystal ball game.

When you remove the Alabama's, the Notre Dame's, the Stanfords, the USC's and the like, you end up where you were before: the Eastern Michigan's, the Arkansas State's, the Western Kentucky's.

And it also removes for Big Ten schools one of the biggest benefits for FBS football teams that schedule FCS games: they never have to worry about going on the road to play in Itta Bena, Mississippi, or the homes of other FCS schools. They are guaranteed one-and-dones, and often achieved at a discount to other FBS foes.

Big 10 schools will now, most likely, need to spend more on higher guarantees to bring in FBS schools, and probably pay for more return trips to Eastern Michigan or Central Florida. They'll pay more for the games they used to get cheap - and the remainder of FBS will continue to get on the cheap. Because you know Alabama isn't going to give up games against Western Carolina. If they go undefeated, they're still going to competing for the Crystal Ball.

Silenoz
June 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Why wouldn't they? No one at this level relishes their team's DII games

MplsBison
June 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/million-dollars-baby-cost-of-big-ten-opponents-keeps-rising-060414

My god... who could have predicted this?

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/b1gs-collossally-stupid-decision-to.html

Bold talk in an unprecedented year.

Let's hear the same boldness when the third best SEC team is left out of the six CFP bowls this year because it played an FCS team!!

You can put money down that in the inaugural year of the selection committee, they're going to be as politically correct as possible. Two teams from each of the P5, Notre Dame and the highest champion from the G5 will make up the six CFP bowls, with the 3rd SEC team being the first team out. The excuse they'll use is weak SOS due to the SEC playing FCS teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Bold talk in an unprecedented year.

Let's hear the same boldness when the third best SEC team is left out of the six CFP bowls this year because it played an FCS team!!

You can put money down that in the inaugural year of the selection committee, they're going to be as politically correct as possible. Two teams from each of the P5, Notre Dame and the highest champion from the G5 will make up the six CFP bowls, with the 3rd SEC team being the first team out. The excuse they'll use is weak SOS due to the SEC playing FCS teams.

I ask you again Mpls...do you think it's going to come down to the quality of the easy wins when deciding when these major conference teams are trying to get into these games? Is it really going to matter that one team beat a mid-level MAC team while another beat a Big South team?

This was never an issue in computer rankings...why would it be an issue with a selection committee?

MplsBison
June 6th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I ask you again Mpls...do you think it's going to come down to the quality of the easy wins when deciding when these major conference teams are trying to get into these games? Is it really going to matter that one team beat a mid-level MAC team while another beat a Big South team?

This was never an issue in computer rankings...why would it be an issue with a selection committee?

Of course I think it's going to matter. Because it goes directly to the heart of college football's curse: there are too many teams with similar records and no easy way to tie-break them as there aren't enough equal strength, common opponents.

Hence why we must rely on humans to make that decision.

So in return I give you the following scenario.

There is one at-large spot left for the FCS playoffs. The third place team from the Big Sky and the third place team from the MVFC are vying for that last spot. Both have identical 8-4 records, with 5-3 conference records (all losses on the road), a loss away at a P5 team and three non-conference wins (all home games).

The Big Sky team played two teams from the MVFC and beat them. The MVFC team played two teams from the Big Sky and beat them. In both cases, they were alternating home and homes. One game was home, the other was away.

Therefore, it comes down to that third non-conference win - the sixth home game for each program. The Big Sky team played a DII team from the RMAC conference (a solid DII conference, but DII nonetheless). The MVFC team played a mid-scholarship FCS team from the NEC.

Those are the facts. Who gets the last at-large bid? The obvious answer is the MVFC school, based on playing a FCS team over a DII team.

So the analogy shows easily how playing a FCS team can be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a P5 school this season.

As to you last sentence. It baffles me how people can utter words such as these or similar to them. I've seen it quite a bit. You aren't the first and unfortunately won't be the last.

All I can manage to say in response is, are you really, honestly asking if there is a difference between the way a computer selects teams and the way a human selects teams?!? xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 6th, 2014, 10:34 AM
So in return I give you the following scenario.

There is one at-large spot left for the FCS playoffs. The third place team from the Big Sky and the third place team from the MVFC are vying for that last spot. Both have identical 8-4 records, with 5-3 conference records (all losses on the road), a loss away at a P5 team and three non-conference wins (all home games).

The Big Sky team played two teams from the MVFC and beat them. The MVFC team played two teams from the Big Sky and beat them. In both cases, they were alternating home and homes. One game was home, the other was away.

Therefore, it comes down to that third non-conference win - the sixth home game for each program. The Big Sky team played a DII team from the RMAC conference (a solid DII conference, but DII nonetheless). The MVFC team played a mid-scholarship FCS team from the NEC.

Those are the facts. Who gets the last at-large bid?

That's easy - give it to the school that's willing to pay the most for a second-round home game.

MplsBison
June 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Haha, good point!