PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Toreros on Torrid Playoff Chase

Torero Tradition
October 23rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
With this past weekends convincing road victory at Drake, the Toreros of the University of San Diego find themselves in the drivers seat for the Pioneer League Football Crown. They are also a step closer to becoming playoff eligible. (Need 7 Division I wins).

The Torero defense held Drake's Scott Phaydavong, who entered the game as the No. 2 rusher in I-AA, to just 51 yards (101 yards below his average). Senior defensive captain Josh Brisco (Tucson, AZ) was named this week's Pioneer Football League Defensive Player of the Week. In the team's 37-0 win, Brisco finished the day with nine tackles (5 solo), including a tackle for loss, a forced fumble, and two pass breakups.

For the 4th straight week the San Diego Torero football team appears in The Sports Network 2006 I-AA Top 25 Poll, this week moving up to a program-best No. 20. Winners of 15 straight, and 23 of their last 24 games, the 7-0 Toreros also rank No. 21 in this week's College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll, and No. 13 in Don Hansen's Football Weekly Gazette Top-40 Poll. USD is 94th in this week's Sagarin Power Ratings for all I-A and I-AA programs, including 11th for just I-AA programs.

For the 9th time this season and 15th poll in a row overall, the Toreros claim the No. 1 spot in the Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10. The Toreros picked up all 25 first-place votes and 250 total points to stay at No. 1 in the I-AA Mid-Major poll after their convincing 37-0 road win over Drake. USD (4-0 PFL; 7-0) will put its No. 1 ranking and 15-game winning streak on the line this Saturday when they host Morehead State. Kickoff is slated for 4:05 pm at Torero Stadium. USD's 15-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs.

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, continues to rank among the national leaders. He is now 18-1 as a starter. The "Payton Watch" candidate continues to rank nationally in six I-AA statistical categories -
1st in points responsible for (25.43ppg);
2nd in total offense (322.3 ypg);
2nd in total passing yards (1,894);
2nd in passing efficiency (177.8 rating);
3rd in passing yards per game (270.57);
and 10th in passing (20.29 completions per game).

As a team the Toreros rank in the Top-10 in 16 different I-AA statistics, including 11 areas where they are either #1 or #2:
1st in total offense (510.57 yards per game);
1st in scoring offense (46.0 ppg);
1st in 3rd down efficiency (66.7%);
1st in scoring defense (7.9 ppg);
1st in passing defense (117.29 ypg);
1st in pass efficiency defense (80.62 rating);
1st in kickoff returns (29.0 yards per return);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0 yards);
2nd in passing offense (289.6 ypg);
2nd in passing efficiency (176.17 rating);
2nd in total defense (203.86 ypg);
3rd in tackles for loss allowed (3.43);
4th in rushing defense (86.6 ypg);
4th in turnovers lost (6);
8th in passes had intercepted (3);
and 9th in rushing offense (221.0 ypg).

The playoff committee has a job to select the best 8 at-large teams after the conference automatic bids are won. There is various criteria they use. So far, the one glaring negative is the USD schedule. However, that is not the only criteria used to select teams for the playoffs. If USD is one of the best 8 teams remaining, they will get selected. One thing in their favor is the regionalization and what could happen to teams in front of them in the upcoming weeks. The Big Sky Conference could be a one team conference as well as the Southland... Cal Poly could in fact, also not make it. If certain things work out, I see San Diego heading to Missoula in November.

P.S. Congrats to Yale on another big win. They might be the class of the Ivy League this year.

cosmo here
October 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
P.S. Congrats to Yale on another big win. They might be the class of the Ivy League this year.

Really? have you heard of unbeaten Princeton and once-beaten (by Princeton) Harvard?

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cal Poly could in fact, also not make it. If certain things work out, I see San Diego heading to Missoula in November.

Cal Poly not making it may be true. They have to win three of the final four, which is a tough task especially considering Savannah St is the only cakewalk. Montana. North Dakota St and I-A San Diego State. A tough road for sure. We'll see what happens...

Sounds like USD propaganda...Yale is third, at best in the Ivy. They're behind Harvard and Princeton...

RobsPics
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Is that a media write up or did you author that yourself?

October 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Really? have you heard of unbeaten Princeton and once-beaten (by Princeton) Harvard?That's No. 12 Princeton and No. 22 Harvard.

griz37
October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
You guys need to quit thinking up reasons for San Diego not to be in the playoff field. They belong! The committee should absolutely select them & they should absolutely be sent to Missoula. We'll see the rest of you in the 2nd round. :hurray:

DaGriz
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
If certain things work out, I see San Diego heading to Missoula in November.

We would love to see San Diego in the playoffs in Missoula. :D

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2006_2007/Football/Photos/at_Portland_/tyler_joyce.jpg

October 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
You guys need to quit thinking up reasons for San Diego not to be in the playoff field. They belong! The committee should absolutely select them & they should absolutely be sent to Missoula. We'll see the rest of you in the 2nd round. :hurray:The only thing you have to know about USD's chances this year is that they only play 10 games against the competition, none being D-I scholarship. That is what the committee will judge them on.

Probably all the other playoff-type teams will have played 11 games, many against all D-I scholarship. This is similar to the knock on voluntary 12 game seasons. Will the extra game count?

Then comes the schedule knock.

Knock, knock... Who's there...

Mountaineer
October 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Then comes the schedule knock.

No one? :D ;)

ucdtim17
October 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
I hope the committee doesn't read this board. This has been one or two posters who figure if they make enough noise, they'll convince people this is up for debate. Teams with resumes like USD have never been selected in the past - what makes this team different? It'd be ripping open and pouring salt in old wounds for legitimate teams who have been snubbed in past years after playing quality schedules and racking up more than 1 quality (arguable) win. We'll see you in Davis on the 25th

ucdtim17
October 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
And quit starting new threads

:bang:

October 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
And quit starting new threads
:bang:LOL ... really

AggiePride
October 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
The Griz posts are awesome. Love it.

texcap
October 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
One thing in their favor is the regionalization and what could happen to teams in front of them in the upcoming weeks.

The way I understand it regionalization has nothing to do with the selection of the playoff teams, but is considered after the 16 teams have been selected to determine who plays where.

October 23rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
The way I understand it regionalization has nothing to do with the selection of the playoff teams, but is considered after the 16 teams have been selected to determine who plays where.That is completely correct. The committee is totally committed to selecting the very best at-large eight first. Then pairing them regionally with the eight AQs to make the bracket.

Torero Tradition
October 23rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
That is completely correct. The committee is totally committed to selecting the very best at-large eight first. Then pairing them regionally with the eight AQs to make the bracket.

If the Toreros are one of the very best 8 at-large teams remaining... they should be selected. It may be hard to judge if they are one of the 8.

Guard Dawg
October 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM

THE OLD GUARD... earth to San Diego... we are not letting you in! :bang:

Guard Dawg
October 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I hope the committee doesn't read this board. This has been one or two posters who figure if they make enough noise, they'll convince people this is up for debate. Teams with resumes like USD have never been selected in the past - what makes this team different? It'd be ripping open and pouring salt in old wounds for legitimate teams who have been snubbed in past years after playing quality schedules and racking up more than 1 quality (arguable) win. We'll see you in Davis on the 25th

Davis... do us all a favor and provide a spanking that the Toreros will not to soon forget. I think I will even book a ticket to watch this game on the 25th.

gophoenix
October 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Teams with resumes like USD have never been selected in the past - what makes this team different?

Not just that, teams with better schedules and better wins (against multiple top 25 teams) have been left out in the past.

Like I said, nearly all of the Great West, SoCon, OVC, Southland, A-10, Gateway, MEAC, Big Sky, SWAC, Patriot and Big South would be undefeated with your cakewalk schedule and be posting stats like you do. Sure, its very good that you're schooling your non-scholarship brethren.

This should be a lesson for San Diego. If you want in the playoffs, then man up and play a schedule worth the media attention and take your bruises like the rest of us have to.

Or here's an idea.... leave the Pioneer and join the Great West conference.

If the Toreros are one of the very best 8 at-large teams remaining... they should be selected. It may be hard to judge if they are one of the 8.
Hard to judge?!? It's easy to judge. They aren't one of those 8. In fact, it's easy to judge you aren't even in the top 16 or 32. Again, play a school that gives some scholarships or join the Great West.

If the playoff committee sends the message that playing a cakewalk schedules weill be rewarded, then they should never penalize a scholarship team for playing the non-scholarship teams again.

IaaScribe
October 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM
NO MORE USD THREADS!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!! STFU!!!

Bobcat in NC
October 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM
The Griz posts are awesome. Love it.

Agreed. Outside of The Official Jim Harbaugh Fan Club, Grizzly fans are definitely the biggest proponents of the Toreros getting in. Of course, let's not forget that the Sky's still up for grabs and that someone may be visiting Bozeman's frozen tundra in about a month...

(Grizzly fan: Insert lame comment about MSU's field conditions here...)

Guard Dawg
October 24th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Agreed. Outside of The Official Jim Harbaugh Fan Club, Grizzly fans are definitely the biggest proponents of the Toreros getting in. Of course, let's not forget that the Sky's still up for grabs and that someone may be visiting Bozeman's frozen tundra in about a month...

(Grizzly fan: Insert lame comment about MSU's field conditions here...)

The Old Guard will not let USD go to the Frozen Tundra of Bozeman!

GannonFan
October 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
The Old Guard will not let USD go to the Frozen Tundra of Bozeman!

*Yawn* - you might have an argument if it weren't also for fans from NDSU, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and heck, even the NEC schools, all saying that San Diego is not worthy of a bid due to their scheduling. Are all of those schools (with only Cal Poly ever making the playoffs and several schools not even complete their transition into I-AA) now part of the "Old Guard" too? Lame argument with no basis.

dbackjon
October 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
If the committee gives USD credit for beating non-schollie I-AA schools, then they should give even more credit for beating D-II schools that offer schollies......

GannonFan
October 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
If the committee gives USD credit for beating non-schollie I-AA schools, then they should give even more credit for beating D-II schools that offer schollies......

Uh oh, now you'll bring out all the I-AA sycophants who can't believe there is any team in DII that could be better than any team in I-AA... oh joy. :smiley_wi

dbackjon
October 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Uh oh, now you'll bring out all the I-AA sycophants who can't believe there is any team in DII that could be better than any team in I-AA... oh joy. :smiley_wi

xlolx xlolx

The fact remains that the top of DII, with the 25-36 schollies they give, are better than 99% of the non-schollie teams.

BigApp
October 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM
what's that? San Diego?

Where blue skies keep watch on 70 miles of beaches...a gentle Mediterranean climate begs for a day of everything and nothing.

Jackluv
October 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
USD will lose to Davis at the end of the year....plus even if they do get into the playoffs (which is a far off chance) and go to missoula....they will be murdered by other teams

GOTOREROS
October 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM
USD will lose to Davis at the end of the year....plus even if they do get into the playoffs (which is a far off chance) and go to missoula....they will be murdered by other teams

But what about "AnyGivenSaturday"? Or is that lip service? I just find it funny that's all...

GOTOREROS

putter
October 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM
But what about "AnyGivenSaturday"? Or is that lip service? I just find it funny that's all...

GOTOREROS

Yes, but where were all you loyal USD fans before this year? AGS has been around for years and this year is the first I have seen any posters from your school. I love the enthusiasm but you must learn how the system has always worked and not get so defensive about SOS etc. now that you are having a good year.

GOTOREROS
October 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, but where were all you loyal USD fans before this year? AGS has been around for years and this year is the first I have seen any posters from your school. I love the enthusiasm but you must learn how the system has always worked and not get so defensive about SOS etc. now that you are having a good year.

I’m not defensive at all - I realize where we fit into the big picture. I am only pointing out that the name of this website is “AnyGivenSaturday” and if you follow that logic people should be OK with a USD fan saying they will beat someone, “anyone” given the premise of that name. “AnyGivenSaturday” right?

I’m not saying USD could beat a scholarship team – only pointing out what someone else is saying by the naming of this website….:thumbsup:

GOTOREROS

usdtoreros
October 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hard to judge?!? It's easy to judge. They aren't one of those 8. In fact, it's easy to judge you aren't even in the top 16 or 32. Again, play a school that gives some scholarships or join the Great West.

There is no way you can argue that they are not one of the top 16 or 32 at large teams. I think there is a reason why they are ranked in the Top 25 in every poll. A lot of experts realize they are a good team. Yes, they may not end up in the Top 8 at large teams at the end of the season, but to argue they are not even in the 32 beacuse of their schedule is just a dumb argument. They are a very hard team to judge because of the competition they have played.

putter
October 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I’m not defensive at all - I realize where we fit into the big picture. I am only pointing out that the name of this website is “AnyGivenSaturday” and if you follow that logic people should be OK with a USD fan saying they will beat someone, “anyone” given the premise of that name. “AnyGivenSaturday” right?
I’m not saying USD could beat a scholarship team – only pointing out what someone else is saying by the naming of this website….:thumbsup:

GOTOREROS

You are correct.

"They are a very hard team to judge because of the competition they have played"

And there in lies the whole argument.....

BigApp
October 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM
There is no way you can argue that they are not one of the top 16 or 32 at large teams....They are a very hard team to judge because of the competition they have played.

I'd argue it till I was torero blue in the face. Sagarin has your schedule ranked as the 221st weakest out of 241 teams. And that will only get worse.

Your next 3 games are against teams in bottom 15. And all have even weaker schedules than yours! xcoffeex Out of 241 Division I teams, heres where they currently rank, their schedule ranking in parentheses:

Morehead =234 (230) :eek:
Jacksonville=225 (234) :eek:
Dayton=231 (237) :eek:

That's shameful to be proud of. But, whatever makes you happy: smh :

AggiePride
October 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
There is no way you can argue that they are not one of the top 16 or 32 at large teams. I think there is a reason why they are ranked in the Top 25 in every poll. A lot of experts realize they are a good team. Yes, they may not end up in the Top 8 at large teams at the end of the season, but to argue they are not even in the 32 beacuse of their schedule is just a dumb argument. They are a very hard team to judge because of the competition they have played.

When is the last time you EVEN PLAYED a top 32 team?

Have you ever?

Seriously, what the highest ranked your team has ever played? I'm curious?

gophoenix
October 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM
There is no way you can argue that they are not one of the top 16 or 32 at large teams.

Sure you can and I will. You have played two sub DI teams and a bunch of bad I-AA teams. That doesn't make you top-25 material.

Here's a good question. Has San Diego ever played a top 25 team? Have they ever played a top 32 team? Or even a top 64 team?

Again, don't like it, then get your admins to reshuffle your schedule, man up, stop whining and play with the rest of us instead of hiding behind this non-scholarship cloak and expecting respect.

I get so sick and tired of this whole non-scholarship thing anyway. Instead of having this Pioneer non-scholarship BS you guys should be mixed in with the rest of us and play the rest of us instead of mingling amoung yourselves. Heck, Charleston Southern did it for 10 seasons with few scholarships. And Savannah St doesn't hide behind any veil, that travel all over the country to play scholarship teams.

San Diego goes to the Great West
Davidson to the SoCon
Campbell, Jacksonville to the Big South
Morehead St to the OVC
Drake, Valpo, Butler and Dayton should go to either the Gateway or Great West too.
The MAAC and NEC should merge.

CSU BUCS
October 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Heck, Charleston Southern did it for 10 seasons with few scholarships. And Savannah St doesn't hide behind any veil, that travel all over the country to play scholarship teams.

Oh did we ever:bawling:

grizbeer
October 24th, 2006, 08:59 PM
When is the last time you EVEN PLAYED a top 32 team?

Have you ever?

Seriously, what the highest ranked your team has ever played? I'm curious?
Wasn't Yale a top 25 team when SD beat them this year? Yale is currently ranked 30th.

rmutv
October 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Davidson to the SoCon
Morehead St to the OVC
Drake, Valpo, Butler and Dayton should go to either the Gateway or Great West too.

Sadly it's not that easy, especially the last one.

Now that the NEC is a partial scholarship conference, Duquesne, Robert Morris, and St. Francis would apparently have issues because they're so close in a population sector. That's what I've been told, I'll be finding out if that's true tomorrow.

Marist and Duquesne have already rejected the NEC's overtures to move to the conference. But, it appears St. Peter's is likely folding after the season, or dropping down a level, so who knows what happens to the MAAC.

CCU97
October 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
The advice I can give San Diego is to just keep winning....one loss and your playoffs are gone.....Happened to Coastal 2 years ago with a weak schedule...not that I think Coastal deserved to get in then....just like one loss this year and Chuck South is out....weak schedules hurt you like that....but have to watch out for over load too...4 losses and you are gone....so somewhere in the middle and being in a decent conference helps.

DaGriz
October 24th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I don't understand what the issue is. Here's the scenarios. They don't make the playoffs and play Davis. They get smoked by a ranked team and realize they weren't really that good and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place. If they happen to pull it out, it gives them great creds. for next year. They beat Davis, play well next year and they are in the playoffs next year, and they should be happy with that. It takes time to get respect and build a program. They would have it and get the benefit of the doubt next year. Other scenario, they get in the playoffs. They play us and we smoke them (xcoffeex ), they don't whine the rest of the year about not getting to play in the playoffs... or they actually prove themselves against a ranked team, pull out a win and make a run in the playoffs. Everbody realizes it wasn't their fault they had a weak schedule but they proved themselves in the playoffs. That's the great thing about I-AA. I see a win win situation here. I think it will all work out.

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
They don't make the playoffs and play Davis. They get smoked by a ranked team and realize they weren't really that good and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.
:hurray:

If they happen to pull it out, it gives them great creds. for next year. They beat Davis....
Not...gonna...happen...especially in the last game at The Toom.

Rabbit3467
October 24th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I don't understand what the issue is. Here's the scenarios. They don't make the playoffs and play Davis. They get smoked by a ranked team and realize they weren't really that good and didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.

There is a chance that by the time Davis and USD play Davis could possibly fall out of the top 25 (No smack to Davis meant here). They have SDSU this week in south dakota, who has been playing well and could beat davis. They then have NDSU at home, followed by Sacramento(should win this). It's possible Davis will be 5-5 by the time they meet USD.....and will still beat them.:thumbsup:

ucdavisaggie05
October 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM
You're absolutely correct, Rabbit. To be completely honest, SDSU and NDSU scare the crap outta me - very formidable foes and it will take a near perfect game to beat either opponent. The Slack State game is going to be a fun one to watch.

JackJD
October 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Sure you can and I will. You have played two sub DI teams and a bunch of bad I-AA teams. That doesn't make you top-25 material.

Here's a good question. Has San Diego ever played a top 25 team? Have they ever played a top 32 team? Or even a top 64 team?

Again, don't like it, then get your admins to reshuffle your schedule, man up, stop whining and play with the rest of us instead of hiding behind this non-scholarship cloak and expecting respect.

I get so sick and tired of this whole non-scholarship thing anyway. Instead of having this Pioneer non-scholarship BS you guys should be mixed in with the rest of us and play the rest of us instead of mingling amoung yourselves. Heck, Charleston Southern did it for 10 seasons with few scholarships. And Savannah St doesn't hide behind any veil, that travel all over the country to play scholarship teams.

Davidson to the SoCon
Morehead St to the OVC

I think the Great West wouldn't want San Diego. Right now, the Great West is enjoying great success and adding USD will water-down the league. It appears to me that some USD fans constantly needle people both on this message board and elsewhere. For example, they seem to have a perpetual challenge out to San Diego State U, a 1-A program that may have found a couple more cylinders in its first win of the season over Air Force last weekend but the USD supporters do not seem to grasp the fact that the Aztecs can't schedule a non-scholarship D1-AA program. In the past couple of days, the San Diego newspaper's on-line edition has had a "viewer poll" asking viewers to vote on who'd win in a matchup between USD and San Diego State...one can only imagine the USD fans pounding their keyboards voting for their team in a matchup that simply cannot happen.

This weekend's game between Cal-Poly and San Diego State will be interesting. Some think Poly will win. Others predict that San Diego State may get their second victory of the season. Poly would wipe out USD...let's see what San Diego State does against Poly.

usdtoreros
October 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
It appears to me that some USD fans constantly needle people both on this message board and elsewhere. For example, they seem to have a perpetual challenge out to San Diego State U, a 1-A program that may have found a couple more cylinders in its first win of the season over Air Force last weekend but the USD supporters do not seem to grasp the fact that the Aztecs can't schedule a non-scholarship D1-AA program. In the past couple of days, the San Diego newspaper's on-line edition has had a "viewer poll" asking viewers to vote on who'd win in a matchup between USD and San Diego State...one can only imagine the USD fans pounding their keyboards voting for their team in a matchup that simply cannot happen.

We know the game will never happen, but those of us who live in San Diego and see both teams play know that USD would have a chance against SDSU this year. We also play in almost every other sport so it would be exciting to see a football matchup. Did you notice that USD "won" that poll? If you know about the San Diego media, that is amazing because almost all the media attention goes to SDSU and I guarantee that it wasn't all USD fans who thought they could be SDSU. The whole challenge (in my opinion) was put out there to get people talking about USD, when usually all the attention goes to SDSU...and it seemed to work pretty well.

October 25th, 2006, 12:39 AM
We know the game will never happen, but those of us who live in San Diego and see both teams play know that USD would have a chance against SDSU this year. We also play in almost every other sport so it would be exciting to see a football matchup. Did you notice that USD "won" that poll? If you know about the San Diego media, that is amazing because almost all the media attention goes to SDSU and I guarantee that it wasn't all USD fans who thought they could be SDSU. The whole challenge (in my opinion) was put out there to get people talking about USD, when usually all the attention goes to SDSU...and it seemed to work pretty well.USD is I-AA and garnering attention for I-AA by winning. xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Torero Tradition
October 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM

I was around and posting last football season... lurked for a year before that. I will admit, there are quite a bit more Torero fans now. I think there were only 2 when i joined.

usdtoreros
October 25th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I was around and posting last football season... lurked for a year before that. I will admit, there are quite a bit more Torero fans now. I think there were only 2 when i joined.

I have been a USD fan since I started school there 7 years ago, but I didn't find AGS until I was looking to see what was being said about them this year. This is a great message board with a lot of active participants so I couldn't help but join and start posting. I am learning more and more about I-AA as a whole everyday, since before coming here, I mainly only knew a lot about USD and the PFL.

Go Apps
October 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM
For you San Diego Fans - you need to take a look at the history of the playoffs and the invites - you have played so many subpar teams there is no doubt you will be left at home even if you are undefeated - additionally the members of the committee are from the stronger conferences and that always works against you. The committee will traditionally throw out any wins against DII schools and will eliminate losses with 1A oponents - after all of this it will then come down to schedule and quality wins - this is where you will lose out...Just ask Coastal Carolina who has spent the last two years proving they belong - Coastal got smart and started scheduling Top 25 teams - if they win out this year they will be rewarded and should be - you haven't paid your dues - you haven't presented a schedule worthy of consideration.

Sorry

89Hen
October 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I've asked several times on different threads but haven't gotten an answer... USD fans, do you know of any OOC opponents in the next two years?

Guard Dawg
October 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM
It really is an unwritten Old Guard Rule... Schedules are the sole basis for playoff consideration.

Grizzaholic
October 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
On a side note, if they don't get into the playoffs will they be so upset that they just skip the whole thing and move to I-A? Atleast then they will never have to worry about never getting into the playoffs there because there will never be playoffs in I-A.:)

UMass922
October 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM
It really is an unwritten Old Guard Rule... Schedules are the sole basis for playoff consideration.

"Sole" might be a slight exaggeration, but it's not far off. And there's nothing "unwritten" about it:

"Championship Selection

[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]

At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:

1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and

5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken."

Seems to be written out quite explicitly to me: to get an at-large bid, play a strong schedule of Division I opponents, and win a lot of games against that schedule. I don't see much in terms of written criteria other than that.

BigApp
October 25th, 2006, 02:16 PM

http://rx88.hypermart.net/OLDSPDEOD.JPG

http://www.harvardpilgrim.mimrx.com/harvard/SiteImages/PrdImages/200x200/0047400265226.JPG

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I've asked several times on different threads but haven't gotten an answer... USD fans, do you know of any OOC opponents in the next two years?

Well, I don't think there are any Ivies... did not see them schedule USD... Yale and Princeton had home-home serise with USD.

grizfan86
October 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I have been absoutley no USD. Now, I want them to come to Missoula. These folks don't know whats coming to them. PSU, MSU, anyone who won't get a bid, I'm sorry, this team needs a beatdown.

GOTOREROS
October 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I have been absoutley no USD. Now, I want them to come to Missoula. These folks don't know whats coming to them. PSU, MSU, anyone who won't get a bid, I'm sorry, this team needs a beatdown.

Just wait till its "San Diego Month" shortly.......:D

GOTOREROS

RobsPics
October 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

October 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Just wait till its "San Diego Month" shortly.......:D
GOTOREROSThe exact sponsored months will be announced before Nov. 1. There is only one left to be sponsored.

DocMike
October 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Listed below you will find the Sagarin Schedule Rank for USD and those schools whose schedues are ranked lower than USD.
Sched-Sagarin Schedue Rank
School
Wins
Losses
Sag Rank - Actual Sagarin Rank
Difference between Actual Rank and Schedule Rank

With a schedule rank such as these if the committee awards at-large bids to any of these schools it will set a new low. Validating this level of scheduling with a spot in the playoffs will be the worst thing that could be done to the playoffs selection process. From what I see of this committee they have been around this level of football too long to allow such a thing to happen.

Sched School W L Sag Rank Difference
221 San Diego 7 0 94 127
222 Sacred Heart 2 6 226 -4
223 Bethune-Cookman 4 3 203 20
224 W-S State 3 5 213 11
225 Del State 5 2 183 42
226 Davidson 4 3 218 8
227 Butler 3 5 230 -3
228 Marist 2 6 233 -5
229 St. Peter's 1 6 241 -12
230 Morehead St. 1 7 234 -4
231 St. Francis-Pa 1 7 239 -8
232 Char. Southern 7 0 174 58
233 Monmouth-NJ 7 1 177 56
234 Jacksonville 4 3 225 9
235 Robert Morris 5 3 222 13
236 Cent. Conn. 6 2 194 42
237 Dayton 3 4 231 6
238 Iona 2 5 236 2
239 Wagner 4 4 229 10
240 Duquesne 6 2 199 41
241 La Salle 2 5 240 1

October 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Here is the Massey SoS for I-AA teams based on the 706 D-I/II/III/NAIA teams:
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

96. E Washington
104. CS Sacramento
106. Northeastern
118. Portland St
119. Montana
123. N Arizona
125. S Dakota St
126. Citadel
127. SF Austin
128. Wofford
129. Montana St
130. UC Davis
134. Weber St
135. Villanova
136. Rhode Island
138. William & Mary
139. Indiana St
142. Idaho St
143. Northern Iowa
144. Illinois St
145. Cal Poly SLO
146. Appalachian St
147. New Hampshire
148. C Arkansas
149. Maine
151. W Kentucky
152. Massachusetts
153. James Madison
154. Youngstown St
155. Hofstra
156. Lafayette
158. Elon
159. Nicholls St
160. VMI
161. Dartmouth
162. Ga Southern
163. Lehigh
164. Missouri St
165. Brown
166. Murray St
167. Harvard
168. N Colorado
169. SE Louisiana
170. Chattanooga
171. Sam Houston St
172. N Dakota St
173. Richmond
174. Towson
175. Cornell
176. E Illinois
177. Delaware
178. Tennessee Tech
179. S Illinois
180. W Illinois
182. Jacksonville St
184. Yale
185. Princeton
186. Colgate
189. Northwestern LA
191. E Kentucky
193. Tennessee St
194. Coastal Car
195. Southern Utah
196. Furman
197. Grambling
198. Penn
199. Georgetown
200. Texas St
203. Gardner Webb
204. S Carolina St
206. McNeese St
209. Florida A&M
212. Holy Cross
213. Stony Brook
214. Samford
215. SE Missouri St
216. TN Martin
217. Ark Pine Bluff
218. Bucknell
222. Fordham
227. Liberty
228. NC A&T
232. MS Valley St
233. W Carolina
234. Columbia
237. Howard
239. TX Southern
242. Southern Univ
243. Morgan St
250. Albany NY
251. Alabama St
253. Alabama A&M
271. Delaware St
275. Jackson St
282. Sacred Ht
285. San Diego
286. Norfolk St
289. Davidson
291. Bethune-Cookman
292. W Salem St
294. St Francis PA
298. Charleston So
302. Morehead St
303. Marist
311. Monmouth NJ
313. Hampton
319. Robert Morris
327. Alcorn St
330. St Peter's
331. Central Conn
334. Prairie View
342. Savannah St
344. Drake
361. Jacksonville
367. Duquesne
375. Butler
385. Austin Peay
389. Wagner
406. Valparaiso
418. Dayton
424. Iona
503. La Salle

ucdavisaggie05
October 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Just wanted to point out that in the link provided, UCD is 119, whereas Slack State is 161.

Ah, I feel much better now.

Tod
October 26th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to point out that in the link provided, UCD is 119, whereas Slack State is 161.

Ah, I feel much better now.

I think you're looking at the wrong column.

I'd like to point out this:

96. E Washington
104. CS Sacramento
106. Northeastern
118. Portland St
119. Montana
123. N Arizona
125. S Dakota St
126. Citadel
127. SF Austin
128. Wofford
129. Montana St
130. UC Davis
134. Weber St
135. Villanova
136. Rhode Island
138. William & Mary
139. Indiana St
142. Idaho St
143. Northern Iowa
144. Illinois St
145. Cal Poly SLO
146. Appalachian St
147. New Hampshire
148. C Arkansas
149. Maine
151. W Kentucky
152. Massachusetts
153. James Madison
154. Youngstown St
155. Hofstra
156. Lafayette
158. Elon
159. Nicholls St
160. VMI
161. Dartmouth
162. Ga Southern
163. Lehigh
164. Missouri St
165. Brown
166. Murray St
167. Harvard
168. N Colorado

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM
USD is I-AA and garnering attention for I-AA by winning. xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

True... but they are non scholarship and don't deserve attention. They can't compete with the real I-AA teams.

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM
Agreed. Outside of The Official Jim Harbaugh Fan Club, Grizzly fans are definitely the biggest proponents of the Toreros getting in

Do Montana fans realize USD owns the Griz currently in their head to head series?

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Do Montana fans realize USD owns the Griz currently in their head to head series?

It's amazing that Griz fans haven't even researched this series huh?

USD 1 Griz 0

GOTOREROS

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 06:49 PM
With this past weekends convincing road victory at Drake, the Toreros of the University of San Diego find themselves in the drivers seat for the Pioneer League Football Crown. They are also a step closer to becoming playoff eligible. (Need 7 Division I wins).

The Torero defense held Drake's Scott Phaydavong, who entered the game as the No. 2 rusher in I-AA, to just 51 yards (101 yards below his average). Senior defensive captain Josh Brisco (Tucson, AZ) was named this week's Pioneer Football League Defensive Player of the Week. In the team's 37-0 win, Brisco finished the day with nine tackles (5 solo), including a tackle for loss, a forced fumble, and two pass breakups.

For the 4th straight week the San Diego Torero football team appears in The Sports Network 2006 I-AA Top 25 Poll, this week moving up to a program-best No. 20. Winners of 15 straight, and 23 of their last 24 games, the 7-0 Toreros also rank No. 21 in this week's College Sporting News (CSN) Coaches Poll, and No. 13 in Don Hansen's Football Weekly Gazette Top-40 Poll. USD is 94th in this week's Sagarin Power Ratings for all I-A and I-AA programs, including 11th for just I-AA programs.

For the 9th time this season and 15th poll in a row overall, the Toreros claim the No. 1 spot in the Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major Top 10. The Toreros picked up all 25 first-place votes and 250 total points to stay at No. 1 in the I-AA Mid-Major poll after their convincing 37-0 road win over Drake. USD (4-0 PFL; 7-0) will put its No. 1 ranking and 15-game winning streak on the line this Saturday when they host Morehead State. Kickoff is slated for 4:05 pm at Torero Stadium. USD's 15-game winning streak is only matched by Ohio State among all I-A and I-AA programs.

Josh Johnson, USD's outstanding junior quarterback, continues to rank among the national leaders. He is now 18-1 as a starter. The "Payton Watch" candidate continues to rank nationally in six I-AA statistical categories -
1st in points responsible for (25.43ppg);
2nd in total offense (322.3 ypg);
2nd in total passing yards (1,894);
2nd in passing efficiency (177.8 rating);
3rd in passing yards per game (270.57);
and 10th in passing (20.29 completions per game).

As a team the Toreros rank in the Top-10 in 16 different I-AA statistics, including 11 areas where they are either #1 or #2:
1st in total offense (510.57 yards per game);
1st in scoring offense (46.0 ppg);
1st in 3rd down efficiency (66.7%);
1st in scoring defense (7.9 ppg);
1st in passing defense (117.29 ypg);
1st in pass efficiency defense (80.62 rating);
1st in kickoff returns (29.0 yards per return);
1st in punt return yardage defense (0 yards);
2nd in passing offense (289.6 ypg);
2nd in passing efficiency (176.17 rating);
2nd in total defense (203.86 ypg);
3rd in tackles for loss allowed (3.43);
4th in rushing defense (86.6 ypg);
4th in turnovers lost (6);
8th in passes had intercepted (3);
and 9th in rushing offense (221.0 ypg).

The playoff committee has a job to select the best 8 at-large teams after the conference automatic bids are won. There is various criteria they use. So far, the one glaring negative is the USD schedule. However, that is not the only criteria used to select teams for the playoffs. If USD is one of the best 8 teams remaining, they will get selected. One thing in their favor is the regionalization and what could happen to teams in front of them in the upcoming weeks. The Big Sky Conference could be a one team conference as well as the Southland... Cal Poly could in fact, also not make it. If certain things work out, I see San Diego heading to Missoula in November.

The committee will not let a non-scholarship team with such a weak schedule in :bang:

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
The committee will not let a non-scholarship team with such a weak schedule in :bang:

I know, I feel bad for the players at USD.

When Davis was in D2 a couple years back with no schollies, our AD really helped us get into the playoffs by only scheduling top D2 teams and a few I-AA teams, despite having no schollies.

We never let it make us feel handicapped and actually resort to scheduling as weak as possible.

It sucks that the USD administration did not give their team a chance to go for it.

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 09:17 PM
I know, I feel bad for the players at USD.
It sucks that the USD administration did not give their team a chance to go for it.

If a team towards the tops of the GPI doesn't get in... as well as being highly ranked in all the polls and all the statistical categories, it will also be the playoff committee who did not give them a chance to go for it.

I love it, keep San Diego out at all costs!

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
If a team towards the tops of the GPI doesn't get in... as well as being highly ranked in all the polls and all the statistical categories, it will also be the playoff committee who did not give them a chance to go for it.

To be honest, the committee is in a tough position. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. But, they asked to be on the committee so that comes with the territory...

GOTOREROS

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
It's amazing that Griz fans haven't even researched this series huh?

USD 1 Griz 0

GOTOREROS

When was that game played.... score?

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM
When was that game played.... score?

LOL! 1958 USD 24 UM 13......

Now Montana State owns us, we are 0-3 vs. the Bobcats. Thank God they will not probably host! :D

http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/usd/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/media-guide-06

GOTOREROS

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Wow, a 24-13 win... we were barely a school back then. Go Toreros... although, i believe that was a win for the Pioneers?

GOTOREROS
October 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Wow, a 24-13 win... we were barely a school back then. Go Toreros... although, i believe that was a win for the Pioneers?

Shush, don't confuse everyone here with that kind of info!

TT check your inbox I sent you a message....

GOTOREROS

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2006, 11:00 PM
Happy Torero Month everybody.... time to learn about San Diego Football and the great University of San Diego. Wait... we beat the Griz and lost to the Cats... that's messed up :)

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 11:47 PM

Obviously, like all other USD fans except ONE, your motto is "do not talk about USD's schedule at all costs".

Stang Fever
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 PM
To be honest, the committee is in a tough position. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. But, they asked to be on the committee so that comes with the territory...

GOTOREROS

THey will not be damned if they dont let USD in. USD does not deserve it

RobsPics
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Happy Torero Month everybody.... time to learn about San Diego Football and the great University of San Diego. Wait... we beat the Griz and lost to the Cats... that's messed up :)

is November the Torero month at AGS?

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 12:06 AM
is November the Torero month at AGS?

YES!!! :D

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Obviously, like all other USD fans except ONE, your motto is "do not talk about USD's schedule at all costs".

I would love to talk about the schedule... BUT

"don't let a non-scholarship team in at all costs" seems to be the motto of many

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM

"don't let a non-scholarship team in at all costs" seems to be the motto of many

No one is saying that. Everyone wants USD to make it to the Playoffs. They dont care if its Non scholarship are full scholarship. All everyone wants is the non scholarship that gets in be it USD to have a schedule worth getting into the playoffs. and no one thinks that

DetroitFlyer
November 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Obviously, there are a great number of folks in the I-AA world that are very high on USD. If not, USD would not be be moving up in the human and computer polls each week. A 10 GPI might be the best indicator of many I-AA folks thoughts about USD and a possible playoff berth!

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM

Seriously...

Again, once again, what does your schedule have to do with being non-scholly? I have referenced UC Davis' non-scholly experiences in D2 many times as the right way to go about it if you want to participate in the playoffs.

People are talking about YOUR SCHEDULE and not the fact your a non-scholly as the reason that a selection is not right..

Stick to your motto.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Well... again looking at the schedule, they will be undefeated... how much better do they have to do with that schedule? They aren't sneaking by teams, they are blowing them out. Please watch Yale game film.

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Well... again looking at the schedule, they will be undefeated... They aren't sneaking by teams, they are blowing them out. Please watch Yale game film.

THEM? xlolx We all know who THEY are.

By your logic, I could go to the local middle school, KO a couple dozen 11 year olds, and therefore I should get a shot at the heavyweight boxing tile.

No.

And no, playoff selections should not be made by watching one game film against the only team that has any significance in your schedule.

Black and Gold Express
November 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Well... again looking at the schedule, they will be undefeated... how much better do they have to do with that schedule? They aren't sneaking by teams, they are blowing them out. Please watch Yale game film.

They can't do much better with that schedule. But that schedule is not a fair representation of what it takes to be considered for the playoffs.

Your schedule is so pathetic that half the teams in I-AA should go undefeated against it. Your schedule is nothing more than a big "who cares" to the rest of the I-AA world.

By the time the playoffs come, you will have one team on your games-palyed schedule that is worth a damn, and it's a mid-pack Ivy League team.

It's not about you being a non-schollie. You may well be the abberation in being a non-schollie team that's not at the level of most D-III teams. It's about the rest of your cupcake schedule (minus Yale and UCD) who are the caliber of D-III teams.

If you think that that schedule deserves to be used as a selling point against any team that played 7 or more games against scholarship I-AA level programs or better, then you are deluding yourself. Who you play matters. It matters a lot, when it comes to the at-large bids.

USD can help themselves in future years by taking an anywhere-anytime attitude towards scheduling. I guarantee you that plenty of the top I-AA teams would welcome you into their house to let you prove yourselves. If you refuse to do that though, you won't ever make it in the playoffs. End of story.

DUPFLFan
November 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
No one is saying that. Everyone wants USD to make it to the Playoffs. They dont care if its Non scholarship are full scholarship. All everyone wants is the non scholarship that gets in be it USD to have a schedule worth getting into the playoffs. and no one thinks that

You know stang, I'm not sure I am buying that. Think about what some would think if a non-scholly team actually won a playoff game. I think many people would prefer to keep non-scholly separate (including our glorious commissioner) so that no one really knows if they can compete or not...:nod: If the PFL or NEC or MAAC are never let in, then the scholly programs can continue to feel superior and administrators and coaches don't have answer the question about losing to a non-scholly school.

You can see by the comments on this board that most are content to feel smug and superior...

Perhaps the couple of PFL schools on the nominating committee can see through this and convince their peers..

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
You know stang, I'm not sure I am buying that. Think about what some would think if a non-scholly team actually won a playoff game. I think many people would prefer to keep non-scholly separate (including our glorious commissioner) so that no one really knows if they can compete or not...:nod: If the PFL or NEC or MAAC are never let in, then the scholly programs can continue to feel superior and administrators and coaches don't have answer the question about losing to a non-scholly school.

You can see by the comments on this board that most are content to feel smug and superior...

Perhaps the couple of PFL schools on the nominating committee can see through this and convince their peers..

I hear you, I know you are not all the way serious with that. but I have no problem with a non schollie team is in the playoffs as long as there SOS says that they belong. I like the comment above about going to KO a few 11 year olds. made me laugh. but I would say that the schedule is as weak as they come...

November 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
... By the time the playoffs come, you will have one team on your games-palyed schedule that is worth a damn, and it's a mid-pack Ivy League team...Yale is not a "mid-pack Ivy League team."
Ivy League Standings
Through games of Nov 01, 2006
Overall Points
Team W L T For Opp Pct
---- - - - --- --- ---
Yale................ 6 1 0 165 137 .857
Harvard............. 6 1 0 217 129 .857
Princeton........... 6 1 0 141 101 .857
Penn................ 4 3 0 149 119 .571
Brown............... 3 4 0 167 173 .429
Cornell............. 3 4 0 119 144 .429
Dartmouth........... 1 6 0 86 186 .143
Columbia............ 3 4 0 100 104 .429

Yale (6-1)
Sep 16 SAN DIEGO.............. 17-43 L
Sep 23 *at Cornell............. 21-9 W
Sep 30 at Lafayette........... 37-34 W
10/7/06 *at Dartmouth........... 26-14 W
Oct 14 LEHIGH................. 26-20 WO
Oct 21 *PENN................... 17-14 WO
Oct 28 *COLUMBIA............... 21-3 W

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM
I hear you, I know you are not all the way serious with that. but I have no problem with a non schollie team is in the playoffs as long as there SOS says that they belong. I like the comment above about going to KO a few 11 year olds. made me laugh. but I would say that the schedule is as weak as they come...

What if the polls say they belong, the GPI says they belong, and their stats say they belong? How can you just throw all that away?

Mountaineer
November 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
What if the polls say they belong, the GPI says they belong, and their stats say they belong? How can you just throw all that away?

SCHEDULE, Schedule, SCHEDULE.

xidiotx xcoffeex

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM

A) Stats mean nothing- especially when they come against cream puffs like Azusa Pacific. and like at most games around the nation just cause a team has better stats doesnt mean they are going to win

B)GPI - I will point to my senior season at Poly when we should have been in the playoffs. the GPI had us in there and I promise you there is NO one on here that will say that USD has played ar harder schedule then we did when you compare the two. THe offical reason we didnt make it was the SOS. so if yours is weaker then ours was how do you think you get in

C) Polls are exactlly what they are just Polls. The Committe is going to pick teams not off of polls but

The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket; 2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference; 3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins will place a team in jeopardy of not being selected; 4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and 5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

all equals no Playoffs for USD. Sorry. so on Nov 20th when USD doesnt make it and you guys are i an uproar for what you guys will call a SNUB you will finally look in the mirror and see what everyone else saw. A good team who didnt play anyone to prove that they are a good team. But there is Hope. next year you can upgrade the schedule and sho people that you belonged.

***If Poly doesnt make it this year because they loose to both Montana and NDSU then maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee USD gets in. but so many people are going to have to loose as well

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 04:37 PM
You do realize Yale is a good team right? The Committee is to pick the best teams... The polls say San Diego is one of the best teams... maybe the committee will think so? I don't know... USD is only one of 2 undefeated teams left.

November 1st, 2006, 04:37 PM
SCHEDULE, Schedule, SCHEDULE.USD Schedule
(Current GPI or Massey rank)
9/1 San Diego at Azusa Pacific (#9 in NAIA), San Diego 17-0
9/9 Dixie State (#110 in D-II) at San Diego, San Diego 41-7
9/16 San Diego at Yale (#24), San Diego 43-17
9/30 San Diego at Davidson (#89), San Diego 50-21
10/7 Butler (#116) at San Diego, San Diego 56-3
10/14 Valparaiso (#120) at San Diego, San Diego 68-7
10/21 San Diego at Drake (#66), San Diego 37-0
10/28 Morehead State (#115) at San Diego, San Diego 44-21
11/4 San Diego at Jacksonville (#107)
11/11 Dayton (#111) at San Diego
11/25 San Diego at UC Davis (#20)

Mountaineer
November 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
USD Schedule

Yup.. :o xcoffeex

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 04:42 PM
USD Schedule
(Current GPI or Massey rank)
9/1 San Diego at Azusa Pacific (#9 in NAIA), San Diego 17-0
9/9 Dixie State (#110 in D-II) at San Diego, San Diego 41-7
9/16 San Diego at Yale (#24), San Diego 43-17
9/30 San Diego at Davidson (#89), San Diego 50-21
10/7 Butler (#116) at San Diego, San Diego 56-3
10/14 Valparaiso (#120) at San Diego, San Diego 68-7
10/21 San Diego at Drake (#66), San Diego 37-0
10/28 Morehead State (#115) at San Diego, San Diego 44-21
11/4 San Diego at Jacksonville (#107)
11/11 Dayton (#111) at San Diego
11/25 San Diego at UC Davis (#20)

Again you fall on Yale. yes Yale is a good team. you have one good team on that schedule. Please point out one more team please. (Davis doesnt count, wont be able to use that game win loose are draw before playoff seletions). No one is ranked higher then #66. Pull up Portland St or some other team with 3 L. there schedule is way better. Sac St would be undefeated with that. Maybe they dont beat Yale but for sure they beat everyone else

Johnny5
November 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
Who else but Yale and Davis are good teams...play a real team and get back to me

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well... we still have the Gridiron Class and Davis if we don't make the playoffs and will most likely have Cal Poly or Montana if we do. My gut tells me Montana after they take care of Poly.

Black and Gold Express
November 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Wait, you're going to play Montana in 2007?

You sure as heck aren't playing them this year.

My apologies on the slight to Yale earlier. The problem with all the Ivies though is that because of their archaic rules, we never are fully sure of where they stand in relation to the rest of I-AA either. It's the only win worth a damn USD has, and it's got potential leaks that doesn't help USD's case any.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
A) Stats mean nothing- especially when they come against cream puffs like Azusa Pacific. and like at most games around the nation just cause a team has better stats doesnt mean they are going to win

B)GPI - I will point to my senior season at Poly when we should have been in the playoffs. the GPI had us in there and I promise you there is NO one on here that will say that USD has played ar harder schedule then we did when you compare the two. THe offical reason we didnt make it was the SOS. so if yours is weaker then ours was how do you think you get in

C) Polls are exactlly what they are just Polls. The Committe is going to pick teams not off of polls but

The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket; 2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference; 3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins will place a team in jeopardy of not being selected; 4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and 5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

all equals no Playoffs for USD. Sorry. so on Nov 20th when USD doesnt make it and you guys are i an uproar for what you guys will call a SNUB you will finally look in the mirror and see what everyone else saw. A good team who didnt play anyone to prove that they are a good team. But there is Hope. next year you can upgrade the schedule and sho people that you belonged.

***If Poly doesnt make it this year because they loose to both Montana and NDSU then maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee USD gets in. but so many people are going to have to loose as well

You just went from saying USD doesn't get in at all to maybe they get in? xcoffeex

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I was really hoping Cal Poly would beat Montana, now i want MSU to beat Montana, that will prevent USD from getting in.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
If San Diego does make it in... I'm curious to know what a better 1st Round expereince would be.... At Appy or Montana?

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Appy is the defending national champs... and may even be better this year... i think a bigger but whoopin would be in store in Boone, so i say if you do make it, go to Boone