PDA

View Full Version : Five DelState Football Players Arrested For Burglaries at UD Dorms

superman7515
May 29th, 2014, 11:04 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/05/29/five-arrested-recent-ud-burglaries/9716423/

Five members of the Delaware State University football team have been charged in a pair of dormitory burglaries at University of Delaware in Newark.
Four men broke into the dorms and stole laptop computers and video game systems, while the fifth received stolen property, UD police said Thursday.

Gabriel Sherrod, 20, of Dover, Rashawn Barrett, 20, of Montclair, New Jersey; Cameren Judge, 21, of New Britain, Connecticut; and Shubasz Gordon, 23, of Bloomfield, Connecticut, were charged with three counts of theft, two counts of burglary and two counts of conspiracy.

Malik Golson, 19, of Dover, was charged with three counts of receiving stolen property. His bail information was not available.

Sherrod and Barrett were committed to Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna, each lacking $8,500 secured bail. Judge and Gordon were released on their own recognizance. UD police, who announced the arrests Thursday, did not say why their bails differed.

The suspects' academic status at DSU in Dover could not be determined late Thursday night.

DSU spokesman Carlos Holmes declined comment on the case, but said in an interview that, generally, "we have a code of conduct at the university and any student that runs afoul of that code of conduct, it could possibly jeopardize their standing as a student at the university and any activities that they're involved in."

Such cases are handled through DSU's judicial affairs process, he added.

A DSU Hornets team roster on the school's website lists Barrett as a junior defensive back, Sherrod as a sophomore wide receiver, Judge as a senior defensive back, Gordon a senior defensive lineman, and Golson as a sophomore wide receiver....

- - - Updated - - -

In their defense, they were probably just trying to raise money to stay in school, what with those pesky partial scholarships and all, right LFN?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 29th, 2014, 11:23 PM
An awful story. There are knuckleheads at every school.

Probably not a fantastic idea to use this story as a broad paintbrush to criticize my view of how the APR is unfair to HBCUs.

If this happened at Florida State, the police would conveniently neglect to investigate the incidents, and the offenders would be well on their way to graduation. No APR hit.

If this happened at UNC, they'd graduate with honors. No APR hit.

WestCoastAggie
May 29th, 2014, 11:36 PM
xbawlingx

BisonFan02
May 30th, 2014, 12:44 AM
The real question is...how does this affect their draft stock?...ba dum tssss?

AggieManiac704
May 30th, 2014, 01:53 AM
you guys are a riot xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
May 30th, 2014, 07:45 AM
19010......OUCH!....HORNETS STUNG........PUNISHMENT...SERVED IN EARLY....SEPTEMBERAH............BRAWK!

Bogus Megapardus
May 30th, 2014, 08:59 AM
If one fully-scholarshipped student goes into a state-built dorm at another government-funded institution and takes a free, state-provided laptop computer (that was designed for the exclusive use of fully-scholarshipped students) from another fully-scholarshipped student, is it stealing?

kdinva
May 30th, 2014, 09:03 AM
If one fully-scholarshipped student goes into a state-built dorm at another government-funded institution and takes a free, state-provided laptop computer (that was designed for the exclusive use of fully-scholarshipped students) from another fully-scholarshipped student, is it stealing?

Ask that question in Lexington or Charleston...... ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 09:31 AM

OK, now this made me xlolx

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 09:39 AM
An awful story. There are knuckleheads at every school.
No there aren't. Please show me where multiple SLC players went to another school and stole from other students.

When 5 players are involved it's clearly an institutional problem.

WileECoyote06
May 30th, 2014, 10:03 AM
No there aren't. Please show me where multiple SLC players went to another school and stole from other students.

Oh? So the University of Georgia must be the worst school in the country. 25 football players in the past four years have been arrested. xlolx

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Oh? So the University of Georgia must be the worst school in the country. 25 football players in the past four years have been arrested. xlolx
Clearly they have character issues that aren't being addressed.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 10:24 AM

In 2012, UGA's football APR was listed at 970.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/genrel/062012aab.html

The Bulldog football team's 970 APR score ranked tied for third best in the SEC, only eight points behind league-leading Vanderbilt's 978.

Clearly an accurate metric for academic progress.... xrolleyesx

superman7515
May 30th, 2014, 10:26 AM

So now kids with character issues in their past can't perform well in the classroom?

WileECoyote06
May 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM

Or perhaps people have choices to make and ignore future consequences. The mission of Delaware State/Georgia has not changed, and neither has the institution's culture. Isolated incidents occur, and those students will be punished for their crimes.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM
So now kids with character issues in their past can't perform well in the classroom?

Do you think the Del State kids should be kicked out of school, but UGA's kids should not? UGA has made a choice: keep them. The APR forces them to make this choice.

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 10:42 AM

Clearly has nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

Or perhaps people have choices to make and ignore future consequences. The mission of Delaware State/Georgia has not changed, and neither has the institution's culture. Isolated incidents occur, and those students will be punished for their crimes.

Players are representatives of their team. The institutions have a responsibility to promote positive behavior. These players didn't decide to start stealing one day. The U's should have recognized this kind of behavior sooner before it got to this point.

clenz
May 30th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Do you think the Del State kids should be kicked out of school, but UGA's kids should not? UGA has made a choice: keep them. The APR forces them to make this choice.
False.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fa/fa07a910638016074bee04542919e38cfcd6861f5f1220252c f214c7f2d40732.jpg

WileECoyote06
May 30th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Clearly has nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

Players are representatives of their team. The institutions have a responsibility to promote positive behavior. These players didn't decide to start stealing one day. The U's should have recognized this kind of behavior sooner before it got to this point.

They are, and I'm sure that Coach Blount, just like Coach Richt has beaten that into their heads. But you can't monitor your players 24-7.. . if you say you can then I'm not debating this point anymore because you're not being sensible. Point is, those students chose to do something illegal. Five out of the 85+ players on their team.

Questioning the institution's culture is as ridiculous as saying that PJ Hairston represents a UNC endorsement of weed smoking, or that the crazy kid at UC-Santa Barbara shows that UC-Santa Barbara students are all crazy. The students made their own choices and ignored the consequences.

Panther88
May 30th, 2014, 11:25 AM

So it's an "institutional" problem? xlolx Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... Good job Forida State and Ohio State bucks!

PAllen
May 30th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Please. Every school has students (including athletes) that do stupid, and sometimes criminal, things. Admittedly five kids from one FB program at a school DSU's size isn't a good sign, but this incident alone does not speak of an institutional problem. An institutional problem would be them all pleading guilty, serving a light sentence over the summer, and still starting the first game in the fall.

clenz
May 30th, 2014, 11:57 AM
So it's an "institutional" problem? xlolx Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... Good job Forida State and Ohio State bucks!
I don't agree it's instutituional...

But....

Florida Sate and Miami both have had serious institutional issues before as has Ohio State (I think they still might because that's how Urban Meyer works...he's just REAL good at covering it.)

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Ask that question in Lexington or Charleston...... ;)

And it won't matter if you are a Two-Time All American Center on the Football team or the best basketball player in the last 10 years at the school. Both were booted out for WAY LESS.

GAD
May 30th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Players are representatives of their team. The institutions have a responsibility to promote positive behavior. These players didn't decide to start stealing one day. The U's should have recognized this kind of behavior sooner before it got to this point.[/QUOTE]
I agree when you go out you represent your family and team(organization). Stealing is bad enough but to go to another schools campus and do so... so not a good look

jimbo65
May 30th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Well at least they stole from UD rather than their own school unlike two UCONN basketballers who stole from their own fellow students.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I don't agree it's instutituional...

But....

Florida Sate and Miami both have had serious institutional issues before as has Ohio State (I think they still might because that's how Urban Meyer works...he's just REAL good at covering it.)

So what are their APRs?

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 02:39 PM
So what are their APRs?
I'm seriously not trying to be a dick here but why dont you keep bringing this up in this thread? It seems completely random.

clenz
So what are their APRs?
High enough to not get dinged every single year.

Turns out they, as an institution, can keep african american kids from poor families eligible so that if/when they do leave there is no APR hit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick here but why dont you keep bringing this up in this thread? It seems completely random.
White guilt is a hell of a drug....

superman7515
So what are their APRs?

Unless more than 1/2 the team was arrested for stealing, it wouldn't matter.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM
The APR penalties are supposed to be dinging schools that are matriculating students that are trouble and/or not ready for the coursework. So if indeed these institutions are not doing so, certainly the APRs at Florida and Georgia should reflect that... right? Along with bowl bans too, right?

Or are these problems confined to Delaware State and other HBCUs?

I could maybe understand the defensiveness of the APR if it was actually catching and punishing Big 5 programs for having "institutional problems" with admitting students who can't handle the coursework, etc. But these same people are saying when it applies to Georgia and Florida, "well, chortle, those guys get away with murder anyway... everyone knows they break the rules... nudge nudge... they just get away with it." Isn't this what the APR is trying - unsuccessfully - to prevent, with HBCUs and other low-resource schools (who get lost in the argument), paying the price?

Go Green
May 30th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Well at least they stole from UD rather than their own school unlike two UCONN basketballers who stole from their own fellow students.

And the Penn guy.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2014/04/anthony-bagtas-updated-charges

Ivytalk
May 31st, 2014, 07:48 AM
They were looking for the UD playbook.

MR. CHICKEN
May 31st, 2014, 09:32 AM
19014....ONE UH SAID COMPUTERS....CONTAINED...UH TRACKIN' APP........WHEN WILL DUH YOUNG EINSTEINS......EVERAH LEARN....TECHNOLOGY....IS OURAH FRIEND......AN' FOE...xconfusedx...AWK!

WHAA STEAL DUH PLAY BOOK?

1ST DOWN.......PASS INCOMPLETE
2ND DOWN......TWO YARD RUN
3RD DOWN......THREE YARD PASS TA TIGHT END
4TH DOWN......PUNT...( LEAST...PUNTER IS OURAH STRENGTH )

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
It seems like some are insinuating that it's the institution's responsibility to recruit "character" and if you have the formula for it and it's successful, please, share it w/ 99.9999999999999% of the others.

And while you are @ it, slap yourself back into reality and look @ your institution's crime stats for year 2013-2014. (P88 laughs here------> xlolx ) The mental f*kkery is just unreal w/ some of you. *smh*

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
It seems like some are insinuating that it's the institution's responsibility to recruit "character" and if you have the formula for it and it's successful, please, share it w/ 99.9999999999999% of the others.

And while you are @ it, slap yourself back into reality and look @ your institution's crime stats for year 2013-2014. (P88 laughs here------> xlolx ) The mental f*kkery is just unreal w/ some of you. *smh*
Show me where SHSU players have been arrested for something similar.

You bring thugs into your program, expect thug like behavior. It isn't hard to identify most of these people.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
Show me where SHSU players have been arrested for something similar.

You bring thugs into your program, expect thug like behavior. It isn't hard to identify most of these people.

And then I realized this was a fan the same school that brought Rhett Bomar into their football program.

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
And then I realized this was a fan the same school that brought Rhett Bomar into their football program.
What crime did Bomar commit again? Was this while he was at SHSU? Refresh my memory. I forgot what he stole.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 02:59 PM

That "fan" is speaking w/ a forked tongue, like most dumb texans would. Poor fella' prolly is a prdct of CISD, KISD, or one of those other numnutt local sorry school districts. :D xsmhx

http://www.shsu.edu/dept/public-safety/upd/crime-stats.html

I guess the "great" shsu recruited larcenists, thieves, and residential hall rapists for year 2013 Jan-Dec. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx

PAllen
June 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
That "fan" is speaking w/ a forked tongue, like most dumb texans would. Poor fella' prolly is a prdct of CISD, KISD, or one of those other numnutt local sorry school districts. :D xsmhx

I guess the "great" shsu recruited larcenists, thieves, and residential hall rapists for year 2013 Jan-Dec. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx

But I'm sure that none of them were athletes. SHSU Athletes are far too superior in character to perform such deeds. xsalutexxsalutexxsalutexxsalutexxkissxxeekx

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 04:14 PM

Were those players? Didn't think so. Clearly you couldn't find dirt on a single athlete. Nice fail.

Let's look at PVAMU crime stats. We only have 2010 and previous. I guess they're on "SWAC" time when reporting crime statistics.
http://www.pvamu.edu/include/Public_Safety/Crime%20Statistics%20Reports/2011%20Campus%20Security%20and%20Crime%20Stats%20R eport.pdf

More rapes
Substantially more burglaries
Substantially more thefts (they even gave up releasing those stats in 08)
Substantially more vehicle thefts
More robberies
2x the number of registered sex offenders
ZERO disciplinary referrals
Less than half of the student population as SHSU
Hey, you went there.

and no I went to school district where students could spell product properly.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Were those players? Didn't think so. Clearly you couldn't find dirt on a single athlete. Nice fail.

Let's look at PVAMU crime stats. We only have 2010 and previous. I guess their on "SWAC" time when reporting crime statistics.
http://www.pvamu.edu/include/Public_Safety/Crime%20Statistics%20Reports/2011%20Campus%20Security%20and%20Crime%20Stats%20R eport.pdf

More rapes
Substantially more burglaries
Substantially more thefts (they even gave up even releasing those stats in 08)
Less than half of the student population as SHSU
Hey, you went there.

and no I went to school district where students could spell product properly.

But I never said PVAMU or any other institution was beyond clean or superior, unlike you. (7 points for P88)
But I never even MENTIONED PVAMU to substantiate my position from the outset. (7 more points for P88)
But I never alluded to ANY school, other than yours which you claim(ed) was superior to all, as being clean and free of those w/ character issue(s). (7 more points for P88)
So, where in shsu's crime stats fall 2013 does it state "student-athlete" or simply... student offenses? :D xlolx (7 more points for P88)
And finally, when all else fails, attempt to DEFLECT attention away from the original thought, which I will NOT allow you to do. You have been ohhhh-ficially owned! (7 more points for P88)

1st qrtr score, P88-35, nickels-0.

Oh, I'm sorry, "qrtr" - quarter, since you need help w/ cyber-txlation and all ;) . I'm sorry again, "txlation" - translation. xlolx You can return to you "madden" and "xbox" now whereas you can impress the other shsu dweebs of your "collegiate" football knowledge. :D lol xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
But I'm sure that none of them were athletes. SHSU Athletes are far too superior in character to perform such deeds. xsalutexxsalutexxsalutexxsalutexxkissxxeekx

I know. Right. xsmhx shsu has a LOCK on superiorly high character student-athletes.

P88-----> xlolx

And that cannot be true because I personally knew 2 who were kicked out of school for drugs. ;) Yah, it was awhile ago, but still... they were "bare.........cats." :D

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 04:42 PM
But I never said PVAMU or any other institution was beyond clean or superior, unlike you. (7 points for P88)
But I never even MENTIONED PVAMU to substantiate my position from the outset. (7 more points for P88)
But I never alluded to ANY school, other than yours which you claim(ed) was superior to all, as being clean and free of those w/ character issue(s). (7 more points for P88)
So, where in shsu's crime stats fall 2013 does it state "student-athlete" or simply... student offenses? :D xlolx (7 more points for P88)
And finally, when all else fails, attempt to DEFLECT attention away from the original thought, which I will NOT allow you to do. You have been ohhhh-ficially owned! (7 more points for P88)

1st qrtr score, P88-35, nickels-0.

Oh, I'm sorry, "qrtr" - quarter, since you need help w/ cyber-txlation and all ;) . I'm sorry again, "txlation" - translation. xlolx You can return to you "madden" and "xbox" now whereas you can impress the other shsu dweebs of your "collegiate" football knowledge. :D lol xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
You just got owned. You couldn't find dirt on a single SHSU athlete. You tried (and failed) to use campus crime stats only to find out your Alma mater is absolutely crime ridden. Your the one who deflected only to look like a dip****. Go home, you lost.

PAllen
June 2nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
You just got owned. You couldn't find dirt on a single SHSU athlete. You tried (and failed) to use campus crime stats only to find out your Alma mater is absolutely crime ridden. Your the one who deflected only to look like a dip****. Go home, you lost.

You're right. They just wait until they leave school:

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/football-player-arrested-for-sexual-assault

2 minutes and Bing!

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM

The score is 35 to zilch and I'm about to line up and kick a FG before the start of 2nd qrtr, since the wind (of right) is @ my back. ;)

I strongly suggest you go to your "madden" and "xbox" xlolx to impress your other geek buddies lol. You're out of your realm dealing w/ what's on the other side of this keyboard.

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
You're right. They just wait until they leave school:

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/football-player-arrested-for-sexual-assault

2 minutes and Bing!
What they do after they leave has absolutely nothing to do with the University. When did I say the University is responsible for their student athletes for the rest of their lives? With all this stretching you're doing nothing but proving my point. This doesn't happen at every institution, and there's a reason for that.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2014, 05:13 PM
What they do after they leave has absolutely nothing to do with the University. When did I say the University is responsible for their student athletes for the rest of their lives? With all this stretching you're doing nothing but proving my point. This doesn't happen at every institution, and there's a reason for that.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Okay admins. I recvd the warning lol. I'll stop making fun. xlolx But I am still tickled. lmao!

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 05:13 PM
The score is 35 to zilch and I'm about to line up and kick a FG before the start of 2nd qrtr, since the wind (of right) is @ my back. ;)

I strongly suggest you go to your "madden" and "xbox" xlolx to impress your other geek buddies lol. You're out of your realm dealing w/ what's on the other side of this keyboard.
Remind me, who brought campus crime stats into this discussion? Who had their own crime ridden ****hole campus's dirt thrown back into their face?

PAllen
June 2nd, 2014, 05:38 PM

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3642280

"Second team All-Southland Conference and Southland post-season all-tournament selection as true freshman in 2009"

So, anybody know why this fine upstanding gentleman left school after just one year? Or did he stay and just quit the program?

Edit: More to the story for anyone who still cares. Traffic's cleared up, I'm going home.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/82746752.html

"Tuesday, officials with Sam Houston State University said Weatherford is not enrolled this semester. University officials said Weatherford was on a scholarship for baseball and attended classes at SHSU for three semesters."

Panther88
June 3rd, 2014, 09:10 AM
http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=3642280

"Second team All-Southland Conference and Southland post-season all-tournament selection as true freshman in 2009"

So, anybody know why this fine upstanding gentleman left school after just one year? Or did he stay and just quit the program?

Edit: More to the story for anyone who still cares. Traffic's cleared up, I'm going home.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/82746752.html

"Tuesday, officials with Sam Houston State University said Weatherford is not enrolled this semester. University officials said Weatherford was on a scholarship for baseball and attended classes at SHSU for three semesters."

I'd leave it be PAllen. You're wasting broadband attempting to show "texan" dude the error of his thought process. He's most definitely a typical "texan." All hot air of nothingness, zero intelligence. lol xlolx

Nickels
June 3rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
I'd leave it be PAllen. You're wasting broadband attempting to show "texan" dude the error of his thought process. He's most definitely a typical "texan." All hot air of nothingness, zero intelligence. lol xlolx
Pansies don't make it long in our state. I can see why you're bitter.

Panther88
June 3rd, 2014, 10:50 AM

<========= native texan, dumb azz. xblehxxeekx But I relish in speaking negatively about you other dumbf*kks as I have since pre-K. :D xlolx xblehx

Nickels
June 3rd, 2014, 10:52 AM

Everyone here sucks but you. Got it.

Did you ever consider maybe, just maybe, you're the one with issues?

Panther88
June 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Kick it off, cit. Which set of "ppl" are you referring to? I belong to 5 differing groups around these parts. :D

Also, in case you didn't notice, there's a intra-texas feud occurring. Intelligent P88 vs DonaldSterling-nickels. lol xlolx

Nickels
June 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
http://s14.postimg.org/d1yduk60x/butthurt.jpg
xthumbsupx