PDA

View Full Version : It's official! Daniel Sams to McNeese

McTailGator
May 28th, 2014, 09:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10998537/former-kansas-state-quarterback-daniel-sams-transferring-mcneese-state

All bets are off in the SLC now.

Geaux Cowboys!

Nickels
May 28th, 2014, 10:01 PM
All bets are off in the SLC now.
xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
May 28th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Geezus, let's let the kid get on campus and take some snaps first!!!

Sammy94
May 28th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Perhaps the Cowboys go with the wishbone now? Congrats.

McTailGator
May 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Offense will not change other than our QB will no longer be a sitting duck and you will see the read option actually work now.

Sammy94
May 29th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Offense will not change

Great news.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Perhaps the Cowboys go with the wishbone now? Congrats.

Who knows?? Maybe something like Auburn's offense. But you can't change it up too much because your backup QB's need to be effective in the offense, too, just in case.

Doc

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Would not be surprised to see some plays from the Auburn play book.

Twentysix
May 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Quick get Mcneese on the schedule, so he can lose to NDSU again!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Quick get Mcneese on the schedule, so he can lose to NDSU again!

Tell ya what. Before they figured him out, he was pretty good. Of course, they did figure him out.

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHu0WePzSRE

Who figured him out? His stats only fell off when he started getting less snaps.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 09:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHu0WePzSRE

Who figured him out? His stats only fell off when he started getting less snaps.

I watched the entire game just a couple days ago. After his big run, he had one more run for nothing because they didn't get tricked again. He was a gimmick that worked once.

citdog
May 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I watched the entire game just a couple days ago. After his big run, he had one more run for nothing because they didn't get tricked again. He was a gimmick that worked once.

Which is one MORE time than Carson Wentz has done ANYTHING.......

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 09:41 AM
He had 2 carries the entire game. I would hardly say that is shutting him down. The only one who shut him down was his coaches. Teams knew what was coming and he still averaged almost 6 yards a carry. McNeese may not do any better than they have in the past but he will make us better. Not saying that this will make us the southland favorites or make us national contenders but I sure am a lot more optimistic than I was during spring. He is just one piece though.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Carson Wentz was 10 for 75 yds rushing with a long of 19.

22-30 passing for 209 yds and a touchdown.

That's more.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 29th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Dude, just stop........your going to embarrass yourself with this comment. In fact I am pretty sure I will bring it up again when Wentz goes off this season, he's got too much talent to completely fail.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM
He had 2 carries the entire game. I would hardly say that is shutting him down. The only one who shut him down was his coaches. Teams knew what was coming and he still averaged almost 6 yards a carry. McNeese may not do any better than they have in the past but he will make us better. Not saying that this will make us the southland favorites or make us national contenders but I sure am a lot more optimistic than I was during spring. He is just one piece though.

I said nothing to the contrary, I was simply responding to his performance against NDSU which is how the conversation turned.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Is this SAMs guy any relation to the gay guy who is going to be cut by the Rams?

citdog
May 29th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Dude, just stop........your going to embarrass yourself with this comment. In fact I am pretty sure I will bring it up again when Wentz goes off this season, he's got too much talent to completely fail.

Pointing out that he has no experience leading a team and no one knows how he will do when it is HIS team is a factual statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Carson Wentz was 10 for 75 yds rushing with a long of 19.

22-30 passing for 209 yds and a touchdown.

That's more.

In mop up duty with NO pressure.

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Is this SAMs guy any relation to the gay guy who is going to be cut by the Rams?

No. He is related to BJ Sams who played for McNeese in the early 2000's and then for the Raven's from 2004-2008. He was an extremely special player for McNeese and was a very instrumental part in us making a run to the national championship in 2002.

citdog
May 29th, 2014, 10:05 AM
No. He is related to BJ Sams who played for McNeese in the early 2000's and then for the Raven's from 2004-2008. He was an extremely special player for McNeese and was a very instrumental part in us making a run to the national championship in 2002.

BJ was a GREAT player.

IBleedYellow
May 29th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Pointing out that he has no experience leading a team and no one knows how he will do when it is HIS team is a factual statement.

- - - Updated - - -

In mop up duty with NO pressure.

Wentz played in our first Title game when Brock went out after a stinger. He has played in the Georgia Southern games both years, but the one that was huge was in the 2nd game where we squeaked out a win. Carson showed his true speed running during that game, and it surprised most of us.

Sams probably has more gametime, but Carson hasn't exactly done "nothing."

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 10:17 AM
BJ was a GREAT player.

Yes he was. What I am hearing from the coaches is that Daniel may be better. They say Daniel moves very similarly to BJ but is bigger and stronger. Like any team, all the pieces have to fit. BJ had a good team around him. I think we will see a different offensive scheme at McNeese so we will see how quick the players can pick it up. Fortunately we are pretty young this year.

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Wentz played in our first Title game when Brock went out after a stinger. He has played in the Georgia Southern games both years, but the one that was huge was in the 2nd game where we squeaked out a win. Carson showed his true speed running during that game, and it surprised most of us.

The question is not whether one player is better than the other. It takes a whole team to win. Sams is just one piece to a puzzle. No doubt he makes us better on offense.

Professor Chaos
May 29th, 2014, 10:19 AM

You're thinking of Thorton that played in the 2011 championship game when Brock went out for a play. Wentz redshirted the 2011 season.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM

No. The last names aren't even spelled the same.

Doc

Sammy94
May 29th, 2014, 10:54 AM
His stats only fell off when he started getting less snaps.

You mean when K-State figured out he couldn't throw and that the gimmick plays usually works a few times a game at best?

Professor Chaos
May 29th, 2014, 10:58 AM
You mean when K-State figured out he couldn't throw and that the gimmick plays usually works a few times a game at best?
You don't need to be able to throw to run a spread offense...

http://5ptsalt.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/tim_tebow.jpg

McNeese75
May 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM

I guess we will get to see if your new slick sunglasses toting coach can figure out the gimmick this year won't we??

Worried?? I can assure you we are not :D

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 11:03 AM
We also took in 2 SEC running back transfers as well. Its not like the backfield will be one dimensional. Once you think you got him figured out and stopped we have a 3 headed monster with running backs Holmes, Milton, and Bennet. Of anyone sam Houston fans should know that you can make a run at a national championship with a less than stellar throwing quarterback.

Sammy94
May 29th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Worried?? I can assure you we are not :D

Not at all. No need to worry about us, a new coaching staff and we lost Flanders plus all those other guys. I'm sure we will struggle with the HBU and IWUs of the SLC. No way we can think about competing against the SEC talent the rest of you guys have. We had our little run, I think McNeese and the other transfer happy school will battle it out for the SLC. Perhaps you guys can win a playoff game this year?

Of anyone sam Houston fans should know that you can make a run at a national championship with a less than stellar throwing quarterback.

True, but that offense was tailored for that. Perhaps the McNeese coaches took some lessons over the past couple of seasons and will change some things because Sams would thrive in that style offense.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Sammy94;2111541] We had our little run, I think McNeese and the other transfer happy school will battle it out for the SLC. ?

This is funny, coming from a Sam Houston fan. Have you guys EVER had a winning year that wasn't built on transfers? I realize a three year run is of dynastic proportions for your program, but don't let that cloud your memory on the fact that Sam Houston set the bar for transfer taking in the SLC...Well, you guys and Southwest Texas State University of San Marcos teacher's college...

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Not at all. No need to worry about us, a new coaching staff and we lost Flanders plus all those other guys. I'm sure we will struggle with the HBU and IWUs of the SLC.
but we'll still beat EWU xnodx...like always...

Silenoz
May 29th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Oh my God, I might have to actually root for EWU for once. Someone kill me.

Anyways, if the Southland wants to end their streak in WaGriz, this is probably the year to do it. McNeese, SELU, whoever. Assuming we make the playoffs.

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Oh my God, I might have to actually root for EWU for once. Someone kill me.

Tired of the Kats **** stomping your conference?

edit - JJ>>>>>>VA

BEAR
May 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Congrats Cowboys.

Looks like those sandbags are getting put in storage. xlolx Can't hide behind SEC transfers for long.... they usually make an impact.

But here's a little something ...just in case... xlolx

http://www.wybone.co.uk/images/srv/page-default/Products_Storage_Bins/Wybone%20Emergency%20Sandbag%20Storage%20Unit%202. jpg

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Congrats Cowboys.

Looks like those sandbags are getting put in storage. xlolx Can't hide behind SEC transfers for long.... they usually make an impact.

But here's a little something ...just in case... xlolx

http://www.wybone.co.uk/images/srv/page-default/Products_Storage_Bins/Wybone%20Emergency%20Sandbag%20Storage%20Unit%202. jpg

After the first scrimmage, if he's any good at all, you'll see Doc bringing in fresh bags and several barges full of sand! ;)

BEAR
May 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/48/f2/cf/48f2cf8f0e9c26decee90851f8c95cda.jpg

I nearly threw up my lunch laughing at that!

Silenoz
May 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM

edit - JJ>>>>>>VA

No, normally I stand up and cheer when EWU or MSU lose... to anyone. It's how these things become about conferences that I find annoying to no end.

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 12:39 PM
We don't ever sandbag. He looks to be a great player but that is it. There are other question marks. He will have to compete for the position. From what I can tell from his video is that he is a great runner. He can't throw though. Maybe we could use him on our track team. The football team won't need him. We cant even win a playoff game.

BEAR
May 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM
We don't ever sandbag. He looks to be a great player but that is it. There are other question marks. He will have to compete for the position. From what I can tell from his video is that he is a great runner. He can't throw though. Maybe we could use him on our track team. The football team won't need him. We cant even win a playoff game.

Sigh. Yoda teach him the ways of the sandbag. xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Sigh. Yoda teach him the ways of the sandbag. xlolx

It's an artform....takes years of patience and intense study as to thematic form, style and word selection...

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah I know I don't have it quite like Doc but I am trying to learn.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Yeah I know I don't have it quite like Doc but I am trying to learn.

Doc's new book, "Zen and the art of College Football Sandbagging" is due in select Barnes & Noble stores on August 1, 2014. CBuck is writing the Foreward and I'm handling the verbiage on the dust jacket. DThib is taking the photo for the back of the book.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2014, 02:34 PM
The Art of Sandbagging teach I can not. From within it must come. The power of the sand you must trust.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 03:06 PM
The power of the sand you must trust.

Doc

Thus endeth the lesson...

IBleedYellow
May 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM
You're thinking of Thorton that played in the 2011 championship game when Brock went out for a play. Wentz redshirted the 2011 season.

Oh wow. You're right. My bad.

Moto X

IBleedYellow
May 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM
The McNeese guys are already sandbagging. Lol

Moto X

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM
The McNeese guys are already sandbagging. Lol

Moto X

Appropriately low expectations, can you blame them?

centennial
May 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Daniel will need to improve his throwing a lot if he wants to help mcnesse. For now he gets intercepted waaay too often.

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 03:59 PM
He had 4 interception and 3 came in 1 game. Hard to draw any conclusion based on the limited amount of passing he was able to do. It has been posted many times in this thread, you don't have to be the best passer to run the spread.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 04:01 PM
He had 4 interception and 3 came in 1 game. I wouldn't have let him throw after that, either and I would have moved him to WR. Hopefully, we'll give him a mercifully quick look at QB, then stick him at WR where he belongs, I hope he can get on the field this year.

Sandbagged it for you...

msupokes1
May 29th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Nicely done. That is what I really meant to say. Dang spell check.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Nicely done. That is what I really meant to say. Dang spell check.

Stick with me, kid, I'll take you as far as I can and teach you all that I know. After that, you'll have to continue your apprenticeship with Doc!

McNeese72
May 29th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Daniel will need to improve his throwing a lot if he wants to help mcnesse. For now he gets intercepted waaay too often.

I remember way back that Stephan Starring couldn't pass a lick either. And Daniel won't have Buford Jordan and Theron McClendon in the backfield to take off some of the heat like Starring did. The one dimensional crap like back then is going to suck. Woe is me!!

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I remember way back that Stephan Starring couldn't pass a lick either. And Daniel won't have Buford Jordan and Theron McClendon in the backfield to take off some of the heat like Starring did. The one dimensional crap like back then is going to suck. Woe is me!!

Or James Galloway or Ronnie Landry, and we don't have a Super Bowl caliber receiver like Keith Ortego, Flip Johnson or even a CFL quality guy like Marc Barousse to fade the heat, either...

BisonFan02
May 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Stick with me, kid, I'll take you as far as I can and teach you all that I know. After that, you'll have to continue your apprenticeship with Doc!

The Pokes are clearly preseason favorites now. Sams scored a TD against NDSU. They are going the distance.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 06:57 PM
The Pokes are clearly preseason favorites now. Sams scored a TD against NDSU. They are going the distance.

Not so fast. As NoDak points out, you guys figured out his gimmicky style and shut him down after that. Even his own team lost faith in him and limited his touches. We might be doing nothing more than inheriting Snyder's headache...

NDSU is still in the driver seat. AT best, we're third or fourth in our own league...

Bisonator
May 29th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Sams can definitely run the ball. Not sure why KSU didn't utilize him more as a wildcat option with Waters at QB. Still don't think he's a good QB option but good luck to him.

McNeese72
May 29th, 2014, 08:49 PM
NDSU is still in the driver seat. AT best, we're third or fourth in our own league...

Yeah, we will be lucky to make the playoffs much less break our losing streak and win a game in them.

Doc

BisonFan02
May 29th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah, we will be lucky to make the playoffs much less break our losing streak and win a game in them.

Doc

You guys are like the anti-chatty....actually make postseason play and continually **** on your team in preseason. xlolx

clenz
June 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM
You guys are like the anti-chatty....actually make postseason play and continually **** on your team in preseason. xlolx

I saw them in person last season...I'm not sure they are actually sandbagging after that.

All of their transfers/speed looked rather unimpressive, tbh

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

McNeese72
June 1st, 2014, 03:29 PM
I saw them in person last season...I'm not sure they are actually sandbagging after that.

All of their transfers/speed looked rather unimpressive, tbh

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

Anybody who saw the UNI, SLU, and Jacksonville St. games knows we aren't sandbagging. We sucked last season. It was all smoke and mirrors.

It will be the same this season.

Doc

Nickels
June 1st, 2014, 03:41 PM
Anybody who saw the UNI, SLU, and Jacksonville St. games knows we aren't sandbagging. We sucked last season. It was all smoke and mirrors.

It will be the same this season.

Doc
It will be hurricane season soon. Better save those sandbags.

Red & Black
June 1st, 2014, 05:57 PM

We shall see. I would say that is...doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McNeese72
June 1st, 2014, 09:22 PM
It will be hurricane season soon. Better save those sandbags.

Nah, he has a point. Plus, our three losses last season weren't just close losses, they were complete blowouts. They were all three against teams with good defenses, especially good tough physical man to man cover type secondaries.

Doc

Nickels
June 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
We shall see. I would say that is...doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EWU fans doubted SHSU would come back to win in 04
EWU fans doubted SHSU would win in near freezing weather
EWU fans doubted SHSU could beat them in a "revenge" game

How'd that work out for them?

Sammy94
June 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
How'd that work out for them?

But, THIS is their year. Keeler loses to them all the time and VA is such a stud. He's like the FCS version of last year's D. Sams!!! No Flanders, No Sincere, No Bookie, No Bell, I just hope whoever is playing for our team can keep it close and avoid the blowout like the McNeese/UNI game of last season. How embarrassing would that be on national TV?

McNeese72
June 9th, 2014, 02:28 PM
This was put out by Matt Bonnette, McNeese SID, today:

LAKE CHARLES – Monday marked the first day of summer classes at McNeese State University, and with that, the first day for the McNeese football newcomers to officially become Cowboys.

Along with the 2014 signing class last February, McNeese welcomed three transfers that are expected to make an immediate impact for the squad this season – highly touted quarterback Daniel Sams (Kansas State), cornerback Jermaine Antoine (TCU) and tight end Deondré Skinner (Houston, Tulane).

“We’re really excited to add these three young men to our football team,” said head coach Matt Viator. “The’re all Louisiana kids that we recruited out of high school, so we know a lot about them.”

Sams (6-2, 207), a native of Slidell (Salmen HS) and the nephew of former Cowboy players B.J. and Andrew Sams, is one of the most exciting transfers on paper to ever transfer to McNeese.

At Kansas State, he turned heads as a freshman in 2012 after he rushed for 235 yards on 32 carries, marking the most rushing yards by a freshman quarterback in school history and the fourth most in program history among all freshmen rushers.

Last season, he earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors after he rushed for 807 yards and a team-high 11 touchdowns while throwing for 452 yards and four scores on 38 of 53 aim. He finished seventh in the conference in touchdown scoring. He ranked fifth in school history in rushing yards by a sophomore and by a quarterback and became the 26th player in school history to surpass 1,000 career rushing yards.

In a game against Baylor, he rushed for 199 yards, which were the second-most yards by a quarterback in Kansas State history and the most ever by a Wildcat sophomore.

Antoine (5-11, 200) signed with TCU out of high school and had a redshirt season last year.

While at Loreauville High School, the three-star recruit was named the “Best All-Around Athlete” at the 2012 U.S. Army National Combine in addition to being selected as a first team Class 2A All-State performer by the LSWA. He earned first team All-District 6-2A honors and was the district’s Offensive Most Valuable Player his senior season when, as a running back, rushed for 1,399 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Skinner (6-3, 247), a native of Patterson signed a letter of intent with the University of Houston out of high school in 2012, then signed with Tulane in 2013.

Out of high school, the tight end, a three-star prospect, was tabbed as the No. 13 tight end in the nation by ESPN and the No. 19 overall prospect in the state by Rivals.com.

He helped lead his Lumberjack team to a combined 29-8 record with three trips to the playoffs during his three seasons. He was named first team all-district as a senior after hauling in 58 passes for 810 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was selected to play in the 2012 Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Houston.

Sams will have two years remaining while both Skinner and Antoine will have all four years left to play.

“We expect all three to come in and immediately complete,” said Viator. “We’re fortunate that the majority of our senior class graduated in May which opened up the spots on our roster to add these three players.”

The Cowboys will continue off-season workouts throughout the summer before reporting to fall camp on Thursday, August 7.