PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'Counters'

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Question...after seeing UCA talking about possible matchups with I-As Louisiana Tech and even Florida down the road...

Does UCA become a 'counter' next year? By 'counter', for those who don't know, I mean a team eligible to count towards a I-A team's bowl eligibility...

Ralph? Mr. C? Any clue on this. UCA is obviously going to be a full SLC member next year in year two of the transition to having full rights as a I-AA (soon to be NCAA Football Championship Subdivision) member...

RabidRabbit
October 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Question...after seeing UCA talking about possible matchups with I-As Louisiana Tech and even Florida down the road...

Does UCA become a 'counter' next year? By 'counter', for those who don't know, I mean a team eligible to count towards a I-A team's bowl eligibility...

Ralph? Mr. C? Any clue on this. UCA is obviously going to be a full SLC member next year in year two of the transition to having full rights as a I-AA (soon to be NCAA Football Championship Subdivision) member...

If UCA averages over 90% of the 63 schollies allowed for two years, then they should be a "counter" for the purposes of IA's. Since they jumped to 63 schollies this first year, if they maintain 63, yes, they "count" even tho transitional. The only issue do you have to be a D-I team first, and since this year, UCA "counts" as playing a D-II.

Good Q! TT

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
If UCA averages over 90% of the 63 schollies allowed for two years, then they should be a "counter" for the purposes of IA's. Since they jumped to 63 schollies this first year, if they maintain 63, yes, they "count" even tho transitional. The only issue do you have to be a D-I team first, and since this year, UCA "counts" as playing a D-II.

So, would they be a counter in 2008 or 2009 then? Does the 90% of 63 scholarships count this year or start counting next?

October 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Damani Leech told me, maybe on WAVES, I think that in the second year of transition they count if they have the number of schollies... sorry for the vague answer but yeah, UCA should count.

TexasTerror
October 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Damani Leech told me, maybe on WAVES, I think that in the second year of transition they count if they have the number of schollies... sorry for the vague answer but yeah, UCA should count.

That's a huge incentive for schools to jump as quick as they can to 90% of the full-scholarships. UCA went to full-scholarship level this year and will surely have it next year. You just have to do it right with JUCOs, transfers and freshmen or you'll really have problems down the road. I think UCA did a fairly good job...

RabidRabbit
October 24th, 2006, 02:48 PM
That's a huge incentive for schools to jump as quick as they can to 90% of the full-scholarships. UCA went to full-scholarship level this year and will surely have it next year. You just have to do it right with JUCOs, transfers and freshmen or you'll really have problems down the road. I think UCA did a fairly good job...

Yes, North Dakota Sioux are looking at this UCA model as the way to afford the move up. Suck it up for first two years, then start playing the IA money games while not eligible for the play-offs, and then be ready for play-offs when finally eligible after 5 years.