PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Sporting News and Lindys FCS Preseason Top 25

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2014, 09:38 PM
The magazines are now out. Phil Steele will not be doing FCS this year it looks like.

SPORTING NEWS TOP 25
1. EWU
2. NDSU
3. SLU
4. Jacksonville St
5. Villanova
6. CCU
7. UNH
8. Fordham
9. McNeese St
10. Montana
11. UNI
12. Richmond
13. Tenn St
14. Chattanooga
15. Towson
16. SHSU
17. Liberty
18. Montana St
19. SDSU
20. NAU
21. BCC
22. EIU
23. W&M
24. Southern Utah
25. Furman

LINDYS
1. EWU
2. SLU
3. NDSU
4. Montana
5. UNH
6. SDSU
7. CCU
8. Fordham
9. Tenn St
10. Chattanooga
11. UNI
12. W&M
13. McNeese St
14. Towson
15. Woffor
16. Villanova
17. EIU
18. SHSU
19. Jacksonville St
20. Furman
21. Montana St
22. SC State
23. Richmond
24. BCC
25. Princeton

bkrownd
May 26th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I remember eagerly anticipating The Sporting News preseason issue until about 1995. It was the only one with somewhat decent I-AA coverage back then. There was a format change in the later 1990's that turned me off, though.

Red & Black
May 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Sporting News list looks better than Lindy's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThompsonThe
May 26th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Thought JMU might have been listed. Thought they were supposed to have a good team this year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 26th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Thought JMU might have been listed. Thought they were supposed to have a good team this year.

With their QB gone, I think they are a wildcard now. Talent is there but if the new QB isn't good they likely won't be.

Herder
May 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM
3 teams from the MVC? Oh the ignorance.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 26th, 2014, 10:05 AM
3 teams from the MVC? Oh the ignorance.

I would say that's about right. Can't count on YSU. ISUr and SIU are always a mystery. ISUb will be lucky to win a game and WIU and MoSt are known commodities.

USD is the only wild card because of the vast improvement they've shown in the Glenn era.

caribbeanhen
May 26th, 2014, 10:09 AM
CAA with 5 in both polls (quick scan)

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 26th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Agree

UNI is not a #11 team.....xsmhx and NDSU is probably a 7-10 team as of now.

IMO, Furman is a top-10 team.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 26th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I would say that's about right. Can't count on YSU. ISUr and SIU are always a mystery. ISUb will be lucky to win a game and WIU and MoSt are known commodities.

USD is the only wild card because of the vast improvement they've shown in the Glenn era.

Jury still out on USD. The only place to go from 0-11 is up....xpeacex

melloware13
May 26th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Composite of both rankings, mainly for entertainment:
1. Eastern Washington
T2. North Dakota State
T2. Southeastern Louisiana
4. New Hampshire
5. Coastal Carolina
6. Montana
7. Fordham
8. Villanova
T9. McNeese State
T9. Northern Iowa
T9. Tennessee State
12. Jacksonville State
13. Chattanooga
14. South Dakota State
15. Towson
16. Sam Houston State
T17. Richmond
T17. William & Mary
T19. Montana State
T19. Eastern Illinois
21. Wofford
22. Liberty
T23. Bethune-Cookman
T23. Furman
25. Northern Arizona
26. South Carolina State
27. Southern Utah
28. Princeton

NoDak 4 Ever
May 26th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Jury still out on USD. The only place to go from 0-11 is up....xpeacex

They got some good wins and very narrow losses last year. I can easily see them breaking .500 or better this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 26th, 2014, 11:05 AM
They got some good wins and very narrow losses last year. I can easily see them breaking .500 or better this year.

You may be right but there were close wins too.

Until they consistently beat NDSU, UNI, SDSU, SIU and YSU (top teams), they will always be in the bottom half of the Valley. But I may be totally wrong too.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 26th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Until they consistently beat NDSU, UNI, SDSU, SIU and YSU (top teams), they will always be in the bottom half of the Valley. But I may be totally wrong too.

I personally think that they will settle in the middle, much like SIU eventually.

Sent from my iPad, probably on the toilet, using Tapatalk HD

PaladinFan
May 26th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Agree

- - - Updated - - -

Agree

It is good enough just to be back in the conversation at this point.

A lot of people ridicule pre-season rankings. I do think largely they are a waste of time. However, as I have seen year in and year out, it is much more difficult to climb spots in the rankings than it is to fall from them. If a pre-season poll assumes you are better than you are, the train might literally have to be off the rails before you fall out of the top 25.

jmufan999
May 27th, 2014, 09:37 AM
With their QB gone, I think they are a wildcard now. Talent is there but if the new QB isn't good they likely won't be.

that's fair. Vad is definitely talented, but who knows what he'll look like when the games start. i'm pretty optimistic, i'd be more worried about the defense being good. think we'll score some points.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2014, 09:51 AM
that's fair. Vad is definitely talented, but who knows what he'll look like when the games start. i'm pretty optimistic, i'd be more worried about the defense being good. think we'll score some points.

It is quite possible you are better off. Who knows? I'm not sure why the QB felt he had to leave.

A lot of these players trying to transfer up are making a mistake. They can handle the talent but the problem is they are going to new systems and because they were very good in the FCS they think they will easily have success in the FBS. How often do you hear of an impact player who transferred up? It's rare. I'm hoping Shaquille Riddick steps in to replace Will Clarke at WVU fine. He's made it easier for the NFL, regardless of how he does. If he plays well he will confirm he is a draftable player but if he plays poorly then he will drop like a rock because he will have been exposed. Same case for Birdsong at Marshall.

jmufan999
May 27th, 2014, 10:25 AM
It is quite possible you are better off. Who knows? I'm not sure why the QB felt he had to leave.

A lot of these players trying to transfer up are making a mistake. They can handle the talent but the problem is they are going to new systems and because they were very good in the FCS they think they will easily have success in the FBS. How often do you hear of an impact player who transferred up? It's rare. I'm hoping Shaquille Riddick steps in to replace Will Clarke at WVU fine. He's made it easier for the NFL, regardless of how he does. If he plays well he will confirm he is a draftable player but if he plays poorly then he will drop like a rock because he will have been exposed. Same case for Birdsong at Marshall.

good points. i actually was disappointed with Birdsong's lack of progress from Year 1 to Year 2. didn't see much. maybe a different QB coach would have served him well, and maybe he'll be good. who knows. but he is too slow in his progressions and his footwork can be a mess at times. with good coaching and a lot of hard work, he can be pretty good. but there's work to do.

McNeese72
May 27th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I don't understand why the Sporting News has McNeese rated so high after our playoff game last season with Jacksonville St (and our blow out losses to SLU and UNI).

Doc

P.S. Rumor has it we made be adding one of our missing pieces to our puzzle in the next week or so.

Sammy94
May 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Rumor has it we made be adding one of our missing pieces to our puzzle in the next week or so.

That SLU game will be a good one this season. The SLC Transfer Bowl, it will be like watching a SEC/BigXII game with a little Pac XII and Juco in the mix.

McNeese72
May 27th, 2014, 01:07 PM
That SLU game will be a good one this season. The SLC Transfer Bowl, it will be like watching a SEC/BigXII game with a little Pac XII and Juco in the mix.

Aren't FBS transfers a fact of life in the SLC???

Doc

The Ville
May 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM

They should both look good to you! Ha but seriously I think you've got a strong team this season.

McNeese75
May 27th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Aren't FBS transfers a fact of life in the SLC???

Doc

The certainly seem to be (including SHSU)

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 27th, 2014, 04:39 PM
It is good enough just to be back in the conversation at this point.

A lot of people ridicule pre-season rankings. I do think largely they are a waste of time. However, as I have seen year in and year out, it is much more difficult to climb spots in the rankings than it is to fall from them. If a pre-season poll assumes you are better than you are, the train might literally have to be off the rails before you fall out of the top 25.

Furman is too low IMO. They had the best defense the Bison faced last year in the playoffs and are a young team. A young team with another year under their belt = success.

Sammy94
May 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM
The certainly seem to be (including SHSU)

We have a few for sure like most FCS teams.

ThompsonThe
May 27th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Furman is too low IMO. They had the best defense the Bison faced last year in the playoffs and are a young team. A young team with another year under their belt = success.

Yeah but Furman losing Dakota to the NFL is a huge impact player to have to replace.

Red & Black
May 27th, 2014, 07:00 PM
They should both look good to you! Ha but seriously I think you've got a strong team this season.

I'm a little surprised that we were #1 in all three publications so far, to be honest. I guess relative to the other top 5-type teams, we have more coming back. NDSU probably deserves to hold the pre-season #1 ranking until proven otherwise, to be honest.

The only real purpose these things serve is to provide some material for discussion anyway.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I think Furple at #25 is too low.

I also wonder if EWU is going to get jinxed 2011 style with these #1 preseason rankings.

Red & Black
May 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I think Furple at #25 is too low.

I also wonder if EWU is going to get jinxed 2011 style with these #1 preseason rankings.

You're not the only one.

Southern Bison
May 27th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Watching Furple vs. Wofford & SC State last fall...I was impressed. As mentioned previously, they're a young team that now has playoff experience under their belt. I told many Paladin fans after the playoff game at SC State to look forward to next season because it could really be something special.

OL FU, I'm planning to be down there for the CCU & Chatty games.

IBleedYellow
May 27th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I'm a little surprised that we were #1 in all three publications so far, to be honest. I guess relative to the other top 5-type teams, we have more coming back. NDSU probably deserves to hold the pre-season #1 ranking until proven otherwise, to be honest.

The only real purpose these things serve is to provide some material for discussion anyway.

I'm personally a fan of giving the team that's the current champion the preseason rankings...until proven otherwise.

But I can understand that we "lost" a lot. So I can't really fault judgement just on that alone.

However, I'm going to state it now: We're going to do as well as Carson Wentz does. If he can run the offense, the FCS is going to be sick of hearing about NDSU relatively quickly.

clenz
May 27th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I'm personally a fan of giving the team that's the current champion the preseason rankings...until proven otherwise.

But I can understand that we "lost" a lot. So I can't really fault judgement just on that alone.

However, I'm going to state it now: We're going to do as well as Carson Wentz does. If he can run the offense, the FCS is going to be sick of hearing about NDSU relatively quickly.

Your fab base caused that a decade ago already

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

centennial
May 27th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Your fab base caused that a decade ago already

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there are typos deal with it.
Fixed it for you.
On topic: Don't understand what you mean?

Yotes
May 27th, 2014, 09:51 PM

We'll win some games against good teams this year, but probably not make the top 25. Next year we'll probably make it though.

walliver
May 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM
15. Wofford
16. Villanova
17. EIU
18. SHSU
19. Jacksonville St
20. Furman

I would like to thank Lindy's for ranking us, and especially ranking us higher than the purple pansies.

I hope his ranking is based on some secret inside knowledge, and not an overdose of peyote.

We will be better in 2014, but with a new QB (the starter for our last 4 games is now third on the depth chart), a new DC (3rd in 3 years), and off-season excitement (Mike Ayers interviewing in Statesboro), I think 2015 will our year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I'd put Lehigh and Lafayette in the Top 40. Both have pretty good potential. Fordham deserves their ranking. They'll be fun to watch....

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I would like to thank Lindy's for ranking us, and especially ranking us higher than the purple pansies.

I hope his ranking is based on some secret inside knowledge, and not an overdose of peyote.

We will be better in 2014, but with a new QB (the starter for our last 4 games is now third on the depth chart), a new DC (3rd in 3 years), and off-season excitement (Mike Ayers interviewing in Statesboro), I think 2015 will our year.

Glaring mistake in my opinion. It's hard to find any reason to put Wofford above Furman based on last year's results.

McNeese75
May 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM

I concur

clenz
May 29th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I concur
I get that sentiment but I don't know if I agree with it.

As of now I wouldn't/won't vote NDSU #1 preseason.

This poll isn't for last season, it's for this season.

If the team that won the title lost 22 starters (and both kickers) and another 15 of the 2 deep would you still vote them number 1?

**Yes, I realize that's argumentum ad absurdum but my point is the same.

centennial
May 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I get that sentiment but I don't know if I agree with it.

As of now I wouldn't/won't vote NDSU #1 preseason.

This poll isn't for last season, it's for this season.

If the team that won the title lost 22 starters (and both kickers) and another 15 of the 2 deep would you still vote them number 1?

**Yes, I realize that's argumentum ad absurdum but my point is the same.
The question still remains who do you put at 1? EWU, UNI, SELA? Unless NDSU loses a game and these teams blow out their opponents, we don't have an appropriate replacement. We should know more once we play Iowa State ( beat them badly - we are #1, scrape by - maybe #1, get blown out- then we don't belong in the top 10)

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I remember eagerly anticipating The Sporting News preseason issue until about 1995. It was the only one with somewhat decent I-AA coverage back then. There was a format change in the later 1990's that turned me off, though.

That's right about the time that Carl DuBois stopped doing their I-AA coverage...

clenz
May 29th, 2014, 04:07 PM
The question still remains who do you put at 1? EWU, UNI, SELA? Unless NDSU loses a game and these teams blow out their opponents, we don't have an appropriate replacement. We should know more once we play Iowa State ( beat them badly - we are #1, scrape by - maybe #1, get blown out- then we don't belong in the top 10)
I don't have them as my preseason pick to win the conference, why would I have them number 1 in a poll?

I'm just at the beginning of my research but this poll is my preseason poll for the 2014-2015 season not a "here's my final top 25 from 2013-2014 poll".

Right now I have UNI and EWU ahead of NDSU and a couple teams right there with them. It's entirely possible NDSU stars my season at 8-10 in my poll. I put weight on how the team did last season but that's not my metric for a preseason poll. I can promise you Towson, EIU and Jacksonville State will struggle to see my top 10-15 (if at all in EIUs case). They finished last season highly rated with deep playoff runs. Are these teams going to be #2, #4 and #7ish in your preseason poll respectively? If not, why? Shouldn't your reasoning for keeping NDSU #1 keep Towson at 2, EIU in the top 5 and JSU in the top 10? Are you going to have UNI in your top 24? UNI missed the playoffs and finished between 20 and ORV last season in the polls. Surely UNI doesn't deserve to be ANY higher than 21 do they?

I look at what's coming back and what was lost to a greater extent than where they finished the season before.

I still think NDSU will be a good team, however, I'm not convinced a team replacing the number, and quality, of starters NDSU is will be as easy as NDSU fans think. By the end of the season maybe they'll be #1 again. However, my preseason poll is how I see the teams for the coming season not how they finished last season.

Again, if a team won the title last year but lost 37 of 44 on the 2 deep to graduation would they still be your preseason #1?

dudeitsaid
May 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I don't have them as my preseason pick to win the conference, why would I have them number 1 in a poll?

I'm just at the beginning of my research but this poll is my preseason poll for the 2014-2015 season not a "here's my final top 25 from 2013-2014 poll".

Right now I have UNI and EWU ahead of NDSU and a couple teams right there with them. It's entirely possible NDSU stars my season at 8-10 in my poll. I put weight on how the team did last season but that's not my metric for a preseason poll. I can promise you Towson, EIU and Jacksonville State will struggle to see my top 10-15 (if at all in EIUs case). They finished last season highly rated with deep playoff runs. Are these teams going to be #2, #4 and #7ish in your preseason poll respectively? If not, why? Shouldn't your reasoning for keeping NDSU #1 keep Towson at 2, EIU in the top 5 and JSU in the top 10? Are you going to have UNI in your top 24? UNI missed the playoffs and finished between 20 and ORV last season in the polls. Surely UNI doesn't deserve to be ANY higher than 21 do they?

I look at what's coming back and what was lost to a greater extent than where they finished the season before.

I still think NDSU will be a good team, however, I'm not convinced a team replacing the number, and quality, of starters NDSU is will be as easy as NDSU fans think. By the end of the season maybe they'll be #1 again. However, my preseason poll is how I see the teams for the coming season not how they finished last season.

Again, if a team won the title last year but lost 37 of 44 on the 2 deep to graduation would they still be your preseason #1?

I've typically taken the approach of considering the prior years champion numero uno until proven otherwise, but your reasoning makes very good sense, and if you don't take that approach, at least you have a solid basis for doing so. That being said, it seems that success breeds success, it just seems NDSU has hit that stride where even with player and personnel losses, I think they will end up being a top ten, if not top five team. And I wish I could say I would be surprised to see them win the NC next year, but I won't. Truthfully, this is one of those years where I think a cluster of great teams will have a solid shot at it this year, and NDSU won't be as indestructible.

centennial
May 29th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I've typically taken the approach of considering the prior years champion numero uno until proven otherwise, but your reasoning makes very good sense, and if you don't take that approach, at least you have a solid basis for doing so. That being said, it seems that success breeds success, it just seems NDSU has hit that stride where even with player and personnel losses, I think they will end up being a top ten, if not top five team. And I wish I could say I would be surprised to see them win the NC next year, but I won't. Truthfully, this is one of those years where I think a cluster of great teams will have a solid shot at it this year, and NDSU won't be as indestructible.
I don't necessarily disagree with clenz. We are lost a bunch and we also have new coaches. However, we do have continuity of the coaching system, our recruiting classes are at the top of the FCS. Unless someone spends a lot of time on preseason rankings they are hard to predict. We aren't a delusional fan base, we expect to do well every year and think we had enough of a gap with the rest of the FCS to still make a run. We could easily have a 2010 type season. The only regular season game that scares me this year is UNI. Somehow they manage to screw it up every year.

Bisonator
May 29th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't have NDSU #1. I'd have them top ten but like has been said there are some questions that will only be answered after a few games. I don't expect a huge fall off but anything can happen. That's why I don't put much stock in preseason polls. Especially ones 4 months before the season!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 29th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't have NDSU #1. I'd have them top ten but like has been said there are some questions that will only be answered after a few games. I don't expect a huge fall off but anything can happen. That's why I don't put much stock in preseason polls. Especially ones 4 months before the season!

Until someone knocks the battery off their shoulder, they are #1

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/JUSnEmgNvNM/hqdefault.jpg

If you're under 40, you might not get this reference.

CrazyCat
May 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM
http://cmcforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hatnames.jpg

Mattymc727
May 30th, 2014, 07:38 AM
NDSU (And any defending champ) has to be number 1 going into the season. Thats how it has always worked and will always work. Have to beat the champs to be the champs. Assuming EWU is a better team than NDSU right now is absurd

This is how preseason polls work, defending champs are #1, and the rest is just useless filler. Preseason polls are as important as a rock.

OL FU
May 30th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Watching Furple vs. Wofford & SC State last fall...I was impressed. As mentioned previously, they're a young team that now has playoff experience under their belt. I told many Paladin fans after the playoff game at SC State to look forward to next season because it could really be something special.

OL FU, I'm planning to be down there for the CCU & Chatty games.

Great and looking forward to it, I will use my Bison kooziexthumbsupx

Cocky
May 30th, 2014, 08:21 AM

Why would JSU not be in your top 5-10? Who was loss that will bring the team down from last years performance?

clenz
May 30th, 2014, 09:41 AM
NDSU (And any defending champ) has to be number 1 going into the season. Thats how it has always worked and will always work. Have to beat the champs to be the champs. Assuming EWU is a better team than NDSU right now is absurd

This is how preseason polls work, defending champs are #1, and the rest is just useless filler. Preseason polls are as important as a rock.
So we should continue to do things they way they've always been done even if it isn't what we believe?

I don't believe NDSU is the best team in the country coming into the season so I'm not voting them #1.

It's not absurd to think that EWU or UNI could/will be better than a NDSU team that loses what they do (mind you UNI was 2 minutes and a helpful PI call away from beating NDSU at NDSU last season).

A white guy has always been president. I guess no more non-white presidents
The playoffs started as 4 teams, I guess it should have stayed there.
Telephones have pretty much always had cords. We should stop making phones with out cords.

I don't think NDSU is the best team this coming year. I'm not voting them #1 preseason.

All polls are as important as a rock....yet you find time to comment on the discussion about it.xbangx

- - - Updated - - -

Why would JSU not be in your top 5-10? Who was loss that will bring the team down from last years performance?
I don't trust them. I don't trust them OVC.

They/the OVC has nothing to prove that they are actually top flight programs the last 19 years

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I'd put Lehigh and Lafayette in the Top 40. Both have pretty good potential. Fordham deserves their ranking. They'll be fun to watch....

Lafayette... probably 35-ish. Lehigh, no... too many questions, and QB situation not settled.

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
One of the magazines labeled Lafayette-Lehigh 150 as one of the top five games in FCS this year!

chattownmocs
May 30th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Jacksonville state claiming they should be 5-10? Stop getting blown out every 3rd game first you scrubs. Maybe beat UNA worse, or murray state at all. You guys suck almost as bad as furman.

chattownmocs
May 30th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Who is UNI btw? You are guys are right up there, or should I say down there, with Jacksonville state and furman.

Bisonator
May 30th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Who is UNI btw? You are guys are right up there, or should I say down there, with Jacksonville state and furman.

Is the Subway closed for remodeling or did you get fired again?xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Lafayette... probably 35-ish. Lehigh, no... too many questions, and QB situation not settled.

Lafayette has to prove they can put together a winning season. Lehigh has averaged nearly 8 wins over the last 25 years. If they're able to live up to that they'll be right there.

I think both teams will be solid. Lehigh has a proven DC now leading that side of the ball. The key is getting the offense in sync and surviving the early schedule.

citdog
May 30th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Lafayette has to prove they can put together a winning season. Lehigh has averaged nearly 8 wins over the last 25 years. If they're able to live up to that they'll be right there.

if only EVERYONE could play NOBODY like le high.

semobison
May 30th, 2014, 03:56 PM
No team ever won a trophy for being ranked number one in a preseason poll! That is why they play the games! And Clenz, if football games were 5 quarters long, last year we would have beat you guys by 20+.

clenz
May 30th, 2014, 04:44 PM
! And Clenz, if football games were 5 quarters long, last year we would have beat you guys by 20+.

False...almost as false as anything LFN had ever said about APR

If games were three quarters UNI beats ndsu by 2 tds.

If they were 58 minutes UNI wins by a td.

What's your point?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 30th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Sorry UNH but that isn't how it's always worked and if that's all the thought put into it you wouldn't be doing it much justice. Not saying it's right or wrong because it's tough to have any real accuracy in preseason polls but that is just way too simple of a view to have if you are voting.

semobison
May 30th, 2014, 07:31 PM
False...almost as false as anything LFN had ever said about APR

If games were three quarters UNI beats ndsu by 2 tds.

If they were 58 minutes UNI wins by a td.

What's your point?

My point is, we rushed for over 100 yards in the 4th quarter! My point is, you guys had 44 yards in 4 possessions in the 4th qtr. My point is, besides DJ's run you had one drive over 45 yards all game! We spotted you field position early with two fumbles and all you could get from it is two field goals. Great teams take advantage and finish games. UNI was a good team and gave us a game. My point is, you guys were done much like K-state in the 4th! Don't give me the injury excuse, we lost our best linebacker and kept shutting teams out. You guys almost beat us! A MORAL victory for you, you keep bringing it up, but you guys were toast in the 4th quarter and if they kept playing it would have gotten worse! .....Just tired of you bringing up that game, how you should have won, blaming it on injuries or officials. A great team beat a good team that night!...... Good luck this season, you guys should be in the hunt for the conference title.

clenz
May 30th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Holy melodramatic assclown

semobison
May 30th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Holy melodramatic assclown

So, when you get called on your whining you revert to name calling. Very big of you Clenz!

MarkCCU
May 30th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Interesting. These preseason polls are great for confabulation, but how often do we see these rendered as truly, wild-ass guesses? CCU at 5? That's too high, even for me.

clenz
May 31st, 2014, 07:22 AM
So, when you get called on your whining you revert to name calling. Very big of you Clenz!

What whining have I dine? Please provide actual examples

Pant8her
May 31st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Preseason polls and such are just pure speculation typically based on the previous season statistics.
While the polls can be fun some people take them all way too seriously (to those folks lighten up Francis).

Maybe the preseason polls should be looked at in blocks 1-5 in no particular order but these would be the teams with the highest probability making it to the semi-final playoff round. Next 5-15 again no divisive order but these teams could make it to the quarter final round in the playoffs. 15-30 have a chance to get to the playoffs.

As we can all argue why we think that one team is better than the next and because we beat you last time does not really mean squat until the games are played on the field.

After all it is a game that I think we all enjoy and can get passionate about (sometimes a bit over zealous).

theasushow
June 1st, 2014, 10:18 PM
JSU 4 in one poll and 19 in the other?? Hmmmm... And it's still weird seeing a preseason poll with no ASU and GSU....

citdog
June 1st, 2014, 10:57 PM
And it's still weird seeing a preseason poll with no ASU and GSU....

who?

Mattymc727
June 2nd, 2014, 07:40 AM
It just seems for preseason polls, the only proof we have is that NDSU is the champion until they lose. NDSU goes number 1, then after that you can slice and dice it the way you want. After week one we can start putting the puzzle together.

I dont like that the sporting news assumed EWU is the best team right now, there is just zero proof of that. The last FCS game was won by NDSU.

When the Giants beat the patriots in 2007, I still thought the Pats were the better team. Had to put the Giants at #1 to start 2008 however in the power rankings.

FYI, I dont do the voting or polling, dont sweat it.

Cocky
June 2nd, 2014, 07:48 AM
JSU 4 in one poll and 19 in the other?? Hmmmm... And it's still weird seeing a preseason poll with no ASU and GSU....

After last season you could assume neither would be ranked if still FCS.

Houndawg
June 2nd, 2014, 09:43 AM
My point is, we rushed for over 100 yards in the 4th quarter! My point is, you guys had 44 yards in 4 possessions in the 4th qtr. My point is, besides DJ's run you had one drive over 45 yards all game! We spotted you field position early with two fumbles and all you could get from it is two field goals. Great teams take advantage and finish games. UNI was a good team and gave us a game. My point is, you guys were done much like K-state in the 4th! Don't give me the injury excuse, we lost our best linebacker and kept shutting teams out. You guys almost beat us! A MORAL victory for you, you keep bringing it up, but you guys were toast in the 4th quarter and if they kept playing it would have gotten worse! .....Just tired of you bringing up that game, how you should have won, blaming it on injuries or officials. A great team beat a good team that night!...... Good luck this season, you guys should be in the hunt for the conference title.

5-7, 6-6, 7-5, right in there.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 2nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
It just seems for preseason polls, the only proof we have is that NDSU is the champion until they lose. NDSU goes number 1, then after that you can slice and dice it the way you want. After week one we can start putting the puzzle together.

I dont like that the sporting news assumed EWU is the best team right now, there is just zero proof of that. The last FCS game was won by NDSU.

When the Giants beat the patriots in 2007, I still thought the Pats were the better team. Had to put the Giants at #1 to start 2008 however in the power rankings.

This. they haven't won a meaningful home game in the playoffs in 4 years. How the hell are they the best team?

clenz
June 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM

There's more "proof" in my mind that EWU is a better team than NDSU for this coming season. Last season? No. This season? Sure.

Look at who each has coming back and who each lost.

Yes, NDSU has great tradition and good talent top to bottom. However, NDSU lost their HC (blah blah blah CEO, assistants did everything, blah blah blah, hired internally), their best QB in program history (IMO), and possibly the best senior class in FCS history (at least recently) that all started for 3-4 years. Most talent that NDSU has in untested in many places. They will be good again, as I said top 5-10, but other than "It's the way it's always been" I don't know if I see a legitimate reason to vote them #1.

FWIW, I'd say the same about UNI if they were in a similar situation...or EWU...or anyone

2005 saw 9 teams other than JMU...JMU got less than 60% of the first place votes
2006 saw 6 teams other than ASU...in fact ASU got only 50% of the votes
2007 saw 3 teams other than ASU
2008 saw 4 teams other than ASU
2009 saw 5 teams received first place votes other than defending champ Richmond - in fact Richmond got less than 60% of the first place votes
2010 saw 4 teams other than Nova get 1st place votes
2011 saw 3 other than EWU
2012 saw 2 teams other than NDSU
2013 saw 1...even though everyone knew that no one would touch NDSU.

Only 4 times in over a decade has the preseason AGS #1 won the title...all from 2 programs and part of a 3peat.

NDSU will be #1 again this year, because people don't put that much effort into their preseason...but it should mean they won't win the title so vote for them I guess.

Mattymc727
June 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
There's more "proof" in my mind that EWU is a better team than NDSU for this coming season. Last season? No. This season? Sure.

Look at who each has coming back and who each lost.

Yes, NDSU has great tradition and good talent top to bottom. However, NDSU lost their HC (blah blah blah CEO, assistants did everything, blah blah blah, hired internally), their best QB in program history (IMO), and possibly the best senior class in FCS history (at least recently) that all started for 3-4 years. Most talent that NDSU has in untested in many places. They will be good again, as I said top 5-10, but other than "It's the way it's always been" I don't know if I see a legitimate reason to vote them #1.

FWIW, I'd say the same about UNI if they were in a similar situation...or EWU...or anyone

2005 saw 9 teams other than JMU...JMU got less than 60% of the first place votes
2006 saw 6 teams other than ASU...in fact ASU got only 50% of the votes
2007 saw 3 teams other than ASU
2008 saw 4 teams other than ASU
2009 saw 5 teams received first place votes other than defending champ Richmond - in fact Richmond got less than 60% of the first place votes
2010 saw 4 teams other than Nova get 1st place votes
2011 saw 3 other than EWU
2012 saw 2 teams other than NDSU
2013 saw 1...even though everyone knew that no one would touch NDSU.

Only 4 times in over a decade has the preseason AGS #1 won the title...all from 2 programs and part of a 3peat.

NDSU will be #1 again this year, because people don't put that much effort into their preseason...but it should mean they won't win the title so vote for them I guess.

I think all that "whos coming back, what they lost" talk is just speculation, not proof. We have no idea if either teams roster is better. Even if EWU brought back all 22 starters, and NDSU lost all 22, that doesnt prove anything. Have to put the champion on top until proven otherwise. The defending champ is the only thing we know for sure at the moment.

Professor Chaos
June 2nd, 2014, 12:52 PM
The only reason a voter should have NDSU has the #1 team in this year's preseason poll is if they think NDSU is the #1 FCS team in the country this year, not because they're the defending champ. What happened last season should have a bearing on judging the team based on the players lost and the players returning. NDSU isn't nearly as wiped out as some would like to believe though. They'll have 6 returning starters on defense (who have a combined 15 seasons of starting experience). They return an RB who's coming off back-to-back 1000 yard seasons, their top WR who had over 1000 yards and 15 TDs last year, and their starting TE. The questions marks are QB, O-line (where only 2 of 5 starters return), and D-line (DT specifically) along with breaking in a mostly new coaching staff.

Personally, I don't think NDSU is the #1 team in 2014 but I do think they're in the top 3.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 2nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
The only reason a voter should have NDSU has the #1 team in this year's preseason poll is if they think NDSU is the #1 FCS team in the country this year, not because they're the defending champ. What happened last season should have a bearing on judging the team based on the players lost and the players returning. NDSU isn't nearly as wiped out as some would like to believe though. They'll have 6 returning starters on defense (who have a combined 15 seasons of starting experience). They return an RB who's coming off back-to-back 1000 yard seasons, their top WR who had over 1000 yards and 15 TDs last year, and their starting TE. The questions marks are QB, O-line (where only 2 of 5 starters return), and D-line (DT specifically) along with breaking in a mostly new coaching staff.

Personally, I don't think NDSU is the #1 team in 2014 but I do think they're in the top 3.

Yep, you just wait. The experience on this team, writ large, is more than enough to help them navigate a season that will not be quite as easy as last year but could be like 2011.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
I think all that "whos coming back, what they lost" talk is just speculation, not proof. We have no idea if either teams roster is better. Even if EWU brought back all 22 starters, and NDSU lost all 22, that doesnt prove anything. Have to put the champion on top until proven otherwise. The defending champ is the only thing we know for sure at the moment.

If you are not willing to look at things and try use some reasoning then just voting for whichever jersey won last time is the way to go. With the departures that NDSU has had this off season and their still very high raking I think that is testimony enough of the respect for their tradition and probability of being back there at the end.

If they hadn't lost the personell and coaches that they did then I wouldn't think it a shortcut to do as you have suggested here but weighing it all out it certainly seems to be one here. And even with that said, it's as likely you would be correct as anyone else.

Bisonator
June 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM

I see what you did there. :D

clenz
June 2nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
I see what you did there. :D

A guy can hope, right?

centennial
June 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
A guy can hope, right?

Hater.

Bisonator
June 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
A guy can hope, right?

As a UNI, Viking and Twins fan I can't begrudge you that.....xlolx

clenz
June 2nd, 2014, 08:56 PM
As a UNI, Viking and Twins fan I can't begrudge you that.....xlolx

It's all I have

Screamin_Eagle174
June 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
No ****. That's the point of a poll... it's speculation on who's best based on the information given. Otherwise there'd only be one "poll" (ranking) at the end of the season once a champion's been crowned.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM
It's always interesting to look back at these things once the season is over and see where were right and where we were wrong etc.

NY Crusader 2010
December 29th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Haha, I hope you listed them as your "biggest surprise" in that thread.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 29th, 2014, 04:45 PM

Most of us would need to have them in contention so...

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2014, 04:51 PM

After their horrible '13 season, almost everyone in the Valley picked them to finish last or second to last.

Twentysix
December 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM
The magazines are now out. Phil Steele will not be doing FCS this year it looks like.

SPORTING NEWS TOP 25
1. EWU
2. NDSU
3. SLU
4. Jacksonville St
5. Villanova
6. CCU
7. UNH
8. Fordham
9. McNeese St
10. Montana
11. UNI
12. Richmond
13. Tenn St
14. Chattanooga
15. Towson
16. SHSU
17. Liberty
18. Montana St
19. SDSU
20. NAU
21. BCC
22. EIU
23. W&M
24. Southern Utah
25. Furman

LINDYS
1. EWU
2. SLU
3. NDSU
4. Montana
5. UNH
6. SDSU
7. CCU
8. Fordham
9. Tenn St
10. Chattanooga
11. UNI
12. W&M
13. McNeese St
14. Towson
15. Woffor
16. Villanova
17. EIU
18. SHSU
19. Jacksonville St
20. Furman
21. Montana St
22. SC State
23. Richmond
24. BCC
25. Princeton

Swing and a miss.

TypicalTribe
December 31st, 2014, 11:07 AM
The Sporting News poll really wasn't bad at all. 16 of the top 19 made the field. The Lindy's one was a disaster, though, especially the bottom half.

Both polls show that the top 8-10 teams were pretty predictable this year, though.

Twentysix
December 31st, 2014, 01:51 PM
The Sporting News poll really wasn't bad at all. 16 of the top 19 made the field. The Lindy's one was a disaster, though, especially the bottom half.

Both polls show that the top 8-10 teams were pretty predictable this year, though.

Sorry out of the 50 teams listed above, albeit some repeats, I fail to see Illinois State listed each time I scan the list.

AmsterBison
December 31st, 2014, 03:30 PM
Sporting News looks better. They picked 12 of the teams in the final 16, five of the top 8, 1 semifinalist, and 1 finalist. Lindy got 11 of 16, 4 of 8 in the quarters, and only 1 semifinalist, and no finalist. Didn't pay any attention to those teams in below #16.

They both severely undervalued the MVFC. Not that I'd have done any better.

MR. CHICKEN
December 31st, 2014, 03:51 PM
Sorry out of the 50 teams listed above, albeit some repeats, I fail to see Illinois State listed each time I scan the list.

20418....YA MAY ADD....ANYGIVENSATURDAY...PRESEASON TOP 25......TUH LIST O' DUMMIES......WHO OVERAH-LOOKED ISU-RED.....HINDSIGHT IS 20/20........AN' HONEST INJUN'......WHERE WERE DUH BIRDS...IFIN' YA DID UH POLL...xconfusedx....AWK!