PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Football Championship, Basketball Tournament increases

bluedog
May 24th, 2014, 06:59 PM
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – In the first year of moving its football championship and basketball tournament to Houston, the Southwestern Athletic Conference announced today that it received a significant increase in attendance for both events.

The football championship and basketball tournament combined, including events sponsored by the SWAC during the week, totaled 87,492 in attendance. The basketball tournament numbers increased 23 percent from the previous year reaching 45,390. The attendance from the tournament games totaled 33,836, receiving an increase of more than 12,000 from last year.

In regards to the economic impact on the Houston metropolitan area, the football championship game was estimated at $44 million and the basketball tournament at more than $3.5 million.

The football championship game attendance jumped into the record books ranking third all time at 38,985. The attendance ranked 29 out of 44 NCAA Division I FBS and FCS combined conference championships and bowl games. For the FCS games attended across the nation in 2013, it ranked sixth overall, joining five other SWAC match ups listed in the top 12.

http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=209506992

Also, SWAC Football Championship outdrew the Advocare 100 Bowl (Shreveport Indy Bowl), the Mountain West championship game, the Conference USA championship game, MAC Championship, and other smaller bowl games featuring FBS teams. If you follow the link, the PDFs are there.... but ... here are the other PDFs with the data below

Bowl Championship Attendance http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727549.pdf
SWAC Attendance head-to-head http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727550.pdf
FBS & FCS Attendance leaders and other data http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727551.pdf

major095
May 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
crickets

GAD
May 24th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Come on everybody say it with me "Nobody wants to watch SWAC football"

Bisonoline
May 24th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Come on everybody say it with me "Nobody wants to watch SWAC football"

I tried. I really did. But xblehxxsmhxxthumbsdownx

LouiseBFree
May 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM
And most of the SWAC still wants to join the Southland.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – In the first year of moving its football championship and basketball tournament to Houston, the Southwestern Athletic Conference announced today that it received a significant increase in attendance for both events.

The football championship and basketball tournament combined, including events sponsored by the SWAC during the week, totaled 87,492 in attendance. The basketball tournament numbers increased 23 percent from the previous year reaching 45,390. The attendance from the tournament games totaled 33,836, receiving an increase of more than 12,000 from last year.

In regards to the economic impact on the Houston metropolitan area, the football championship game was estimated at $44 million and the basketball tournament at more than $3.5 million.

The football championship game attendance jumped into the record books ranking third all time at 38,985. The attendance ranked 29 out of 44 NCAA Division I FBS and FCS combined conference championships and bowl games. For the FCS games attended across the nation in 2013, it ranked sixth overall, joining five other SWAC match ups listed in the top 12.

http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=209506992

Also, SWAC Football Championship outdrew the Advocare 100 Bowl (Shreveport Indy Bowl), the Mountain West championship game, the Conference USA championship game, MAC Championship, and other smaller bowl games featuring FBS teams. If you follow the link, the PDFs are there.... but ... here are the other PDFs with the data below

Bowl Championship Attendance http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727549.pdf
SWAC Attendance head-to-head http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727550.pdf
FBS & FCS Attendance leaders and other data http://www.swac.org/pdf9/2727551.pdf

bluedog
May 25th, 2014, 02:19 PM
And most of the SWAC still wants to join the Southland.

In your world where did you get that bit of info from and it's source?

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2014, 07:46 AM
In your world where did you get that bit of info from and it's source?

I do not believe its most of the SWAC, but have heard independently that there are at least 2 or 3 SWAC schools who have 'explored' that direction and at a time or two, the Southland has shared that exploration back.

I would be curious if you polled Southland fans whether they would be more inclined to bring in a Jackson State, Texas Southern or Prairie View A&M over a UT-RGV, Tarleton State, Angelo State or whomever else. Outside of baseball & softball, TSU's facilities are comparable if not better than most of the SLC. When PVAMU completes their current work projects, they'd be in very good shape.

bluedog
May 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I do not believe its most of the SWAC, but have heard independently that there are at least 2 or 3 SWAC schools who have 'explored' that direction and at a time or two, the Southland has shared that exploration back.

I would be curious if you polled Southland fans whether they would be more inclined to bring in a Jackson State, Texas Southern or Prairie View A&M over a UT-RGV, Tarleton State, Angelo State or whomever else. Outside of baseball & softball, TSU's facilities are comparable if not better than most of the SLC. When PVAMU completes their current work projects, they'd be in very good shape.

The question is the same. Where's your proof and your source?

Please save the polling the fans crap 1) Fans don't dictate anything at any of our schools 2} The few fans you might know on a sports board only contributes to the delusion.

Again where's you valid proof and it's source?

Unless you can answer both questions with valid PROOF please stop spreading lies on my thread.

citdog
May 26th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Good for the SWAC. The play on the field has been better of late. Now the Refs........

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Unless you can answer both questions with valid PROOF please stop spreading lies on my thread.

I'm typically the one to provide proof while not getting any coming the other way around. Unfortunately in this case, the conversations and discussions have been 'off the record' and nothing that has been published.

If I am not mistaken, 3rd Coast Tiger can probably confirm to you based on his previous postings that the Southland had communicated to at least Texas Southern to gauge interest at one point or another, but he would have to be willing to confirm that.

Kudos by the way to the SWAC on the successful move of their postseason events to Houston. I wonder if we'll see baseball come to Houston. The Southland has Constellation Field (Sugar Land, TX) but perhaps they can use the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Houston or if that field in Montgomery/Conroe comes to fruition? Probably one of the biggest SWAC alum bases is right here in Houston, I'd figure. Easy commute down I-10 or I-45 for some other big bases in Baton Rouge and Dallas, respectively too.

JSUBison
May 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM
What am I missing here, the NCAA says the SWAC BB tourney had 5225 total with average of 871 a game.

bluedog
May 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I'm typically the one to provide proof while not getting any coming the other way around. Unfortunately in this case, the conversations and discussions have been 'off the record' and nothing that has been published.

If I am not mistaken, 3rd Coast Tiger can probably confirm to you based on his previous postings that the Southland had communicated to at least Texas Southern to gauge interest at one point or another, but he would have to be willing to confirm that.

Kudos by the way to the SWAC on the successful move of their postseason events to Houston. I wonder if we'll see baseball come to Houston. The Southland has Constellation Field (Sugar Land, TX) but perhaps they can use the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Houston or if that field in Montgomery/Conroe comes to fruition? Probably one of the biggest SWAC alum bases is right here in Houston, I'd figure. Easy commute down I-10 or I-45 for some other big bases in Baton Rouge and Dallas, respectively too.

So in your world that equates to most of the SWAC schools wanting to join the SLC.

xrolleyesx xeyebrowx .....Okay

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2014, 01:59 PM
So in your world that equates to most of the SWAC schools wanting to join the SLC. xrolleyesx xeyebrowx .....Okay

Nope, I am sharing an example of what has been stated here as it relates to interest one way.

As it relates to interest the other way, I doubt you will find someone willing to comment publicly on such a matter. Many of these kinds of things are done behind closed doors, in conference rooms where individuals like yourself are not involved.

bluedog
May 28th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Nope, I am sharing an example of what has been stated here as it relates to interest one way.

As it relates to interest the other way, I doubt you will find someone willing to comment publicly on such a matter. Many of these kinds of things are done behind closed doors, in conference rooms where individuals like yourself are not involved.

In other words you admit to lying about having knowledge of anyone from the SWAC having interest in joining the SLC

Tell me again just when it was exactly that we met and I informed you of who I was and what I did?

The question is the same. Where's your proof and your source?
Please save the polling the fans crap 1) Fans don't dictate anything at any of our schools 2} The few fans you might know on a sports board only contributes to the delusion.
Again where's you valid proof and it's source?

citdog
May 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM
What am I missing here, the NCAA says the SWAC BB tourney had 5225 total with average of 871 a game.

That's nothing but 'politics' bro.......Just 'politics'.

walliver
May 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM

How do they come up with these numbers? Apparently basketball attendance was higher than football attendance and yet the BB tourney had less than one-tenth of the economic impact.

I realize that the 45,390 attendance includes a number of people who attended multiple games, so depending on the details, there were likely 10,000-15,000 actual people attending at one time or another, but many of those would stay for 3 or 4 days, not the 1 or 2 nights for the football game.

Panther88
May 29th, 2014, 05:04 PM
This is ONE Prairie View A&M University alum who would GLADLY welcome PVAMU segregating itself, pun severely intended lol, from the SWAC. PVAMU is the only sole surviving original architect of the then segregated SWAC. The SLC is a far better regional match for PVAMU (travel, budgeted travel expenses, competitivity, et al). Once the new football stadium is completed and the basketball arena upgrades completed, our facilities will be on par w/ other local FCSers w/in PV's footprint. WTF is PVAMU hoping to gain by going to "alabama" eons X per year? WT... xgiveadamnx

3rd Coast Tiger
May 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Fact:

The Southland Conference officials did reach out to then Texas Southern athletic director Alois Blackwell and myself about Texas Southern joining the SLC. Their desire was for a member institution in the Houston metropolitan area.

Repeat:

The SLC reached out to us and not the other way around.

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Our conference has been watered down enough and is too large as it is. SWAC schools bring nothing to the table for the SLC.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Fact:

The Southland Conference officials did reach out to then Texas Southern athletic director Alois Blackwell and myself about Texas Southern joining the SLC. Their desire was for a member institution in the Houston metropolitan area.

Repeat:

And the end result was Houston Baptist who was required to add football as part of their admission. SLC has put priority in Houston with hoops tourney in Katy and baseball returning to Sugar Land.

bluedog
May 30th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Fact:

Repeat:

You and I both know they understand very clearly the difference.

Panther88
May 30th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Our conference has been watered down enough and is too large as it is. SWAC schools bring nothing to the table for the SLC.

Yeh Nickels. I agree powerhouse Incarnate Word and aTm-CC are head and shoulders above PVAMU athletically and academically and the travel to/fro UCA, for all sports teams, is much better for a SHSU vs the 1.2hr commute to PV's campus lol. Piss on the 2nd oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of texas, eh? xsmiley_wix

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Yeh Nickels. I agree powerhouse Incarnate Word and aTm-CC are head and shoulders above PVAMU athletically and academically and
Incarnate is head & shoulders above PVAMU athletically and academically. Incarnate Word would demolish PVAMU in football, and their program is what 3 years old? TAMUCC is at least in Corpus Christi. Bringing up other schools does nothing to derail my argument. I already said this conference is too large and weak as it is.

the travel to/fro UCA, for all sports teams, is much better for a SHSU vs the 1.2hr commute to PV's campus lol.
Conway is a great city and well worth the drive. Best city in the SLC before SAT and Houston schools were brought into the mix. Not to mention UCA is better than any SWAC "school" in every facet. Prairie View is in the middle of no where. Just something to glance at while on the way to Brenham.

Piss on the 2nd oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of texas, eh? xsmiley_wix
That old and is still less than mediocre. So below mediocre it's not even included in most oldest universities list.
http://colleges.niche.com/rankings/overall-experience/top-oldest-colleges/texas/

Instead of dissing other schools that are much better than any SWAC garbage, please enlighten me, how would any SWAC school improve the SLC in any way?

bluedog
May 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Simply amazing. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Panther88
May 30th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Incarnate is head & shoulders above PVAMU athletically and academically. Incarnate Word would demolish PVAMU in football, and their program is what 3 years old? TAMUCC is at least in Corpus Christi. Bringing up other schools does nothing to derail my argument. I already said this conference is too large and weak as it is.

Conway is a great city and well worth the drive. Best city in the SLC before SAT and Houston schools were brought into the mix. Not to mention UCA is better than any SWAC "school" in every facet. Prairie View is in the middle of no where. Just something to glance at while on the way to Brenham.

That old and is still less than mediocre. So below mediocre it's not even included in most oldest universities list.
http://colleges.niche.com/rankings/overall-experience/top-oldest-colleges/texas/

Instead of dissing other schools that are much better than any SWAC garbage, please enlighten me, how would any SWAC school improve the SLC in any way?

I stand by my words, Nickels, and they ARE FACTS. You, mes enemmi, speak off of emotionalism, like a female w/ much estrogen. :D

Since you have zero command and control of the english language:

1. PVAMU would be a better fit than a UCA for budgetary/distance for all SHSU sports teams, that includes the non-rev generators (tennis anyone?).
1a. PVAMU has ALL D-I sports teams and is Title IX compliant. ;)
2. PVAMU is the 2nd oldest public university in the state of texas. (history, son)
3. Incarnate Word's 3 year football program is "great?" Where? 6-5 record over mostly NAIA teams while losing BADLY to D-I FCSers? xlolx Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
4. A "niche" website isn't the bible. We cannot make a LIE out of history. Regardless of what dummy refuses to post accurate information. ;)

And now for my estrogenal rant. texas should give san antonio and corpus back to Mexico w/ bonus money to take the garbage and dispose of it. (spoken like a TRUE native texan :D ) Listen (look at) to Panther88's words closely. They are like novocaine. Give it a minute. It will start to work on you shortly.

Nickels
May 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM
1. PVAMU would be a better fit than a UCA for budgetary/distance for all SHSU sports teams, that includes the non-rev generators (tennis anyone?).
Unlike the SWAC we don't have budget problems that prevent us from traveling to road games. UCA actually has a solid athletic program and probably the highest academic standards in the conference. We also don't need anymore cupcakes blowing our SOS or want deal with SWAC "students" coming to town. There is no benefit.

1a. PVAMU has ALL D-I sports teams and is Title IX compliant. ;)
Your point?

2. PVAMU is the 2nd oldest public university in the state of texas. (history, son)
PVAMU was founded 3 years earlier than SHSU. What was so historic about those 3 years? The school could barely stay afloat with 8 students? Impressive.

3. Incarnate Word's 3 year football program is "great?" Where? 6-5 record over mostly NAIA teams while losing BADLY to D-I FCSers? xlolx Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
When did I say great? Oh that's right, you pulled that completely out of your ass. The 6-5 record over mostly NAIA teams is way more impressive than 5-4 SWAC record.

4. A "niche" website isn't the bible. We cannot make a LIE out of history. Regardless of what dummy refuses to post accurate information. ;)
It just proves SWAC "Universities" aren't even considered real colleges to most. Why would we want that kind of reputation in the SLC?

Again, what benifit will any SWAC school bring to the conference?

Panther88
May 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Unlike the SWAC we don't have budget problems that prevent us from traveling to road games. UCA actually has a solid athletic program and probably the highest academic standards in the conference. We also don't need anymore cupcakes blowing our SOS or want deal with SWAC "students" coming to town. There is no benefit.
Your point?
PVAMU was founded 3 years earlier than SHSU. What was so historic about those 3 years? The school could barely stay afloat with 8 students? Impressive.
When did I say great? Oh that's right, you pulled that completely out of your ass. The 6-5 record over mostly NAIA teams is way more impressive than 5-4 SWAC record.
It just proves SWAC "Universities" aren't even considered real colleges to most. Why would we want that kind of reputation in the SLC?
Again, what benifit will any SWAC school bring to the conference?

SHSU doesn't have budget issues? Really? xlolx

Even with the increase in enrollment in the last four years, which amounts to more athletic fees paid by students, Sam Houston would need about $7 million more in its annual budget to compete...

“We’ve been successful in spite of our financial situation. We’ve never let that hold us back,” Williams said. “We wanted to make football good and consistent. You want to keep improving yourself. If we’re good, then we make ourselves more visible and attractive.”

You WANT to be a longhorn but you are NOT a longhorn - they have BUDGET - SHSU does NOT. I won't get into your other rhetoric because it's just that, your emotionally charged and obviously intimidated and inferior thought process on display. You don't even know your own putridly pitiful texas history. Maybe texas should throw the HSV in the mix of "undesired" territories that should be returned to Mexico. :D