PDA

View Full Version : Yep, it's that time again....I'm begging for Booty....The 24 Hours of Booty, that is.

FormerPokeCenter
May 22nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
Okay, so I'm about at the halfway point in the 2014 fundraising campaign for LiveSTRONG and the 24 Hours of Booty and I'm behind the pace of the last few years. Some of that, originally, was by design and some of that is a function of picking up new clients and being busier, work-wise, than in years past....

This time, last year, I was already over the $4k mark...right now I'm at about $2300 or so.

I had originally decided to be less diligent this year, but early in 2014 cancer claimed the lives of a few people who were pretty inspirational to me, including Ann Hartline, the lady I originally began riding for in the 24 HOB. So, if Cancer's not going to take time off, I guess the rest of us can't either..

Over the last four years, the level of support I've gotten from FCS fans has been amazing. The last two years, in particular, the AGS community has supported me in absolutely amazing ways....

Last year, IBleedYellow was my most prolific donor, hitting me for more than $600. The year before that, TheRevSFA was the most prolific, also donating more than $600 (if memory serves me correctly) throughout the year.

In 2012, AGSers contributed about $2300 total. Last year, it was more than $5,000.

Considering that most of us have never met in person, that's pretty freaking amazing. When I first got involved in all of this, I was worried about whether or not I was going to be able to raise the minimum necessary. All totalled, my donors have contributed more than $30,000 in the war against cancer. All of that started on GeauxCowboys and Fork 'Em Demons, and then really picked up steam over the last two years here, thanks to Ursus and Citdog keeping the ride at the forefront here and on The Wedge.

If you have a favorite cancer fighting initiative, please continue to support them as you're able. If you don't have one, I would ask that you consider supporting mine:

The 24 Hours of Booty, the official 24 Hour event of the LiveSTRONG Foundation.

No donation is too small. They're all desperately needed, greatly appreciated and totally tax deductible.

You guys ROCK!

http://www.24hoursofbooty.org/site/TR/Bike/General?px=1185201&pg=personal&fr_id=1270

IBleedYellow
May 22nd, 2014, 09:30 PM
Alright, assholes. If a little 23 year old that's a full time college student can be the most prolific donor...You better look in the mirror.

Keep on doing all the hard work, Jay! Hopefully in the near future we can have a beer or ten together! ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
Hey FPC, is there anything that needs or could be done to help you figure out what donations are coming from AGS or other sites? I can't remember how we did it last year.

If all of you that are looking to do this would try and help this cause out by maybe taking this to your home board and supplying a link to this thread I'd really appreciate your help with it.

FormerPokeCenter
May 23rd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Ursus, first, thank you for the absolutely great donation to the cause. That was awesome!

Last year, most people put their screenname in the Memorial name section of the donation page. There's also a private message section on the donation screen and they can put their screenname and home board there, if they prefer, leaving the memorial name section free to honor a cancer patient...

Once again, the level of support from this page is amazing...

You guys rock!

BEAR
May 23rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
If the Bears lose tonight I'll double my donation. If they win, I'll triple it!

Either way i'm donating to a great cause!

I lost a friend to cancer. He was only 43.

Lets find a cure!

FormerPokeCenter
May 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM
LOL, go ahead and put me in the box, UCABear! Dangle a triple donation in front of me if McNeese loses! Nicely done!! ;)

BEAR
May 23rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
xnodx

Double. Triple. Won't bring him back. But it sure will help in the future!

But here's to a triple donation anyway! xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
May 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
I hear ya....cancer SUCKS....this year, it's taken a few people who've been special to me, including the lady I originally started riding for...

It's only a matter of time and money before a cure's found...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
I've never had Cancer close to me as far as family goes, I've known people that have had it of course. That changed a couple of months ago when my Dad was diagnosed with it.

There are so many really good people in the ranks of the FCS fans this has always went over very well here. It has made me very proud to be a part of y'all for sure as I've always said. If I've ever done anything for you that you wnated to say thanks for or even wanted to throw some cash at AGS I can tell you truthfully that I'd rather see you give $5 to Jay than anything else. FPC (Jay) works his tail off on this, please throw a little something his way if you can. Hopefully the heartbreak of this disease can be a distant memory someday.

If you are a member of AGS and make a $5 donation this site will match your donations until midnight ET tomorrow night. Use your username and maybe put "match me AGS" in the notes.

Let's see how bad you guys can hurt me.xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
May 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Grizo appears to be making a statement...he just kicked in $50...;)

Grizo, thanks for the continued support! You ROCK!

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2014, 07:47 PM

I'm a statement makin' machine!xnodx

You're the ONLY one that seems to listen, but I'm fine with that!!

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM

What name are you under?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2014, 08:08 PM
What name are you under?

he is Jay Gallagher and if you click the link in his first post it takes you right to his page and there is a button there that says "Support Jay".

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
I'm a statement makin' machine!xnodx

You're the ONLY one that seems to listen, but I'm fine with that!!

I listen to them. I listen closely so when me and the other board members talk on the phone for our daily conferences etc. I can update them with the statements that begin like this "You guys ain't gonna believe what this SOB said yesterday!"

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
I listen to them. I listen closely so when me and the other board members talk on the phone for our daily conferences etc. I can update them with the statements that begin like this "You guys ain't gonna believe what this SOB said yesterday!"

Nice to see that you've adopted some of Jay's unselfish and caring attitude!

Although I don't expect this transient change of behavior to last much longer, I'm compelled to mention that because of your diligence, and "caring for a friend", my egg salad sandwich and I are reunited!

It's resting comfortably, for now, in my refrigerator.

Thanks for what you've done to Ursus, FPC!!!xthumbsupx

BEAR
May 23rd, 2014, 10:32 PM
Triple it is! Sorry cowboy fans!

With Ursus match.... That's gonna be nice!

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2014, 10:55 PM
he is Jay Gallagher and if you click the link in his first post it takes you right to his page and there is a button there that says "Support Jay".

Thanks. Its a done deal.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2014, 11:06 PM
Triple it is! Sorry cowboy fans!

With Ursus match.... That's gonna be nice!

I'm matching $5 donations. I don't know what yours was but I ain't that loaded up with discretionary income. Even if it's not a $5 donation I will contribute an extra $5 though.xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2014, 11:15 PM
I'm matching $5 donations. I don't know what yours was but I ain't that loaded up with discretionary income. Even if it's not a $5 donation I will contribute an extra $5 though.xthumbsupx

I just made ten 5$ donations. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2014, 11:20 PM
I just made ten 5$ donations. :D

OK, I'm in real trouble. xlolx

Very cool of you guys though.

Grizo406
May 24th, 2014, 12:18 AM

Not that its ever happened before but apparently, I didn't listen as good as I should have, huh?!!?xwhistlex

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks to Bisonoline and UCABear for their great donations to the cause! I think that's the first time I've ever gotten two donations from the state of Arkansas on the same day!

You guys ROCK!

Southern Bison
May 24th, 2014, 06:15 AM
FPC, as we discussed last season, the offer still stands for you to stay for free in Charlotte while you're in town for the 24HOB here.

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2014, 06:47 AM
SB, that's a very cool offer! Don't be surprised if I take ya up on it!

FormerPokeCenter
May 24th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks to MDUNHFAN for his fantastic donation to the cause!

It's always really cool to see folks from across the country get involved in this and I think that speaks to the power of AGS.

MDUNHFAN, you rock!

Southern Bison
May 24th, 2014, 09:01 PM

I'm expecting you to. Looking forward to hanging out with another AGSer.

IBleedYellow
May 24th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Well ****...I can't have you guys out-donating me.

FormerPokeCenter
May 25th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Wow, ANOTHER donation, IBY??

You ROCK!

That's freakin awesome!

TheRevSFA
May 25th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Jay,

While we disagree on everything except that Lamar university is a waste of space, you know I support you 110 percent.

While I can't kick in what I normally do due to me planning for the baby coming, I do plan on throwing something into your kitty

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 25th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Throwing "something into your kitty" is what got you in the position of baby planning!

Congrats BTW!

NDSUSR
May 25th, 2014, 09:15 PM
LiveStrong? Seriously?
A charity started by a cheating steroid abuser?
I think I will give to St. Jude.

IBleedYellow
May 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
LiveStrong? Seriously?

You know, a Charity that STILL DOES WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO?

FormerPokeCenter
May 26th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Jay,

While we disagree on everything except that Lamar university is a waste of space, you know I support you 110 percent.

While I can't kick in what I normally do due to me planning for the baby coming, I do plan on throwing something into your kitty

No worries! If it wasn't for your initial challenge, none of this would have gotten off the ground....I realize you've got other commitments, like a wife and a child...just don't make that stuff a habit! ;).

- - - Updated - - -

Jay,

No worries! If it wasn't for your initial challenge, none of this would have gotten off the ground....I realize you've got other commitments, like a wife and a child...just don't make that stuff a habit! ;).

FormerPokeCenter
May 26th, 2014, 05:18 PM
LiveStrong? Seriously?

St. Jude's is a wonderful charity and it's great cause to support, Kudos to you...

Ursus generally does something for the folks who support the ride, like profile badges and ban hammers. Maybe we can talk him into extending that to your donation to St. Jude?

LiveSTRONG and Armstrong have no official connection anymore. He resigned from the board and his name doesn't really come up in connection with the organization, except when the haters start with the Anti-Lance pejoratives...

LiveSTRONG today is a smaller, leaner organization that focuses on early detection, survivorship and free patient navigation...It's staffed by committed individuals who have nothing to do with Armstrong or biking, even. Additionally, LiveSTRONG has 238 non-paid staffers, like myself, who engage in grass roots fundraising and education about LiveSTRONG's current, Post-Lance mission.

This isn't Lance's LiveSTRONG.

But to your point, The 24 Hours of Booty IS the official 24 Hour event of LiveSTRONG, but it supports so much more than just the LS foundation. In addition to LS, it also supports Be The Match, the national bone marrow donor registry, the Direct research being done at The Levine Cancer Institute, the cancer center at AFLAC Children's Hospital, the Hendrick Bone Marrow Project and the Ulman Young Adults with Cancer Fund and the Keep Pounding Fund, dedicated to former Saint and Panther All-Pro linebacker Sam Mills. My favorite 24HOB beneficiary is the Wind River Cancer Wellness Center, where far too many people, including a dear friend, have gone to learn how to cope with the inevitability of "End of Life" planning.

It's easy to take a shot at Armstrong, but LiveSTRONG is real people making a real difference. ...

I salute your support of St. Jude and hope you follow through on supporting them....

BEAR
May 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Bump....

FormerPokeCenter
May 27th, 2014, 08:32 PM
By the numbers....
This weekend was pretty good for fundraising....

7 AGS donations since the 23rd for $650.00

Ursus
IBY
Ghost82
BisonOnline
UCABEAR
MDUNHFAN
GRIZO

You guys are awesome!

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 29th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Most of those guys are awesome but Grizo is weak sauce, watered down dirty Florida water.

Ursus and IBY have substance and character, true icons and leaders of the community.....Gnomewhat Im sayin?

Yeah.....you read me

FormerPokeCenter
June 25th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Wow, thanks to Ursus, McNeese 75 and Houston Demon for their great donations to the cause in the last week. IBY's serial donation kicked in again, too!

You guys all rock!

So far, I'm a little behind schedule, but I'm closing in on where I need to be. I'm just $285.00 away from hitting the Yellow Jersey level which is $4000.00. Last year, we went over $10,000.00 I'm hopeful there's enough time to hit that again this year...

Things got a little interesting today in that Brian Hevesy, a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor, entered after being over seas for most of the year. He raises CRAZY money in a short time. I've got an almost $4K lead on him, but something tells me it AIN'T gonna be enough!

He's a great guy, a Purdue Boilermaker fan, and the competition is very friendly. Last year, I finished about $700 behind him....I kinda feel like the Buffalo Bills....Hopefully, this year is the year I break the streak! ;)

FormerPokeCenter
June 25th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Wow.....thanks to Ursus for ANOTHER donation today! That puts him at $300 for the year, right behind IBY's $315!

You guys are ****in' awesome! Y'all ROCK!

MSUBobcat
June 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I'm in, Jay. I had to see the doc and haven't seen what my bill is yet, so I didn't contribute as much as I would like, but I will be hitting you again before the event. It's a great thing you are doing and I will support you as much as I can. xbowxxbowxxbowx

FormerPokeCenter
June 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Ryan, I truly appreciate the help. The support on this board has been awesome. I'm humbled by the fact that A.) the support has been what it is...and B.) folks are digging deep to support the cause despite things like medical bills and being full time college kids... I'm blown away and it makes me want to go hit it harder!

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic support! You ROCK!

Southern Bison
June 27th, 2014, 09:22 PM

What is the dates you'll be in town?

MSUBobcat
July 4th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Ryan, I truly appreciate the help. The support on this board has been awesome. I'm humbled by the fact that A.) the support has been what it is...and B.) folks are digging deep to support the cause despite things like medical bills and being full time college kids... I'm blown away and it makes me want to go hit it harder!

Thank you for the absolutely fantastic support! You ROCK!

Jay, you made me sound better than I am considering my medical bills were self-induced due to clumsiness (just couple cracked ribs, nothing major). My insurance's negotiated rates for the visit was much lower than I anticipated, so I took some of the savings to get you to the Yellow Jersey level. Keep up the great work my friend.

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Ryan, that's AWESOME! Thank you for the incredible support and for taking the Kill Shot on the Yellow Jersey!

Seriously, I'm blown away by the support! You ROCK!

SU DOG
July 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Jay
I'll be getting in a donation this week. What you did for our Samford player and cancer survivor last year was just too awesome. I don't think the family of Perry Beasley will EVER forget that Booty Ride and the honor that you bestowed on him. God Bless You in your efforts.

FormerPokeCenter
July 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Lynn,

Thank YOU for setting all that up! None of it would have happened had it not been for YOU!

Meeting the Beasleys was the highlight of the fundraising campaign for me last year. They're incredibly nice folks...

I'm still in contact with Perry. He's a fantastic young man. He's currently interning with the Alabama Make-A-Wish foundation. I think he'd be a natural to work with LiveSTRONG. Doug Ulman, their CEO, remembered him from the news coverage last year and from posing for a pic in the Jersey you sent me. I put Perry and Doug in contact with each other to see if there's any way he can work with the folks in Austin.

I know he wants to ultimately go into sales, so working with them in fundraising might be a good start...

Hopefully, something good will come out of that!

See what you started?? ;)

FormerPokeCenter
July 7th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Wow, thanks to SU Dog for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! It's his second year in a row to donate and SU Dog was directly responsible for me getting to ride for Perry Beasely last year....

SU Dog's also a cancer survivor, himself, so it's incredibly cool to get a donation to the cause from somebody so integrally involved!

Lynn, thank you for the amazing support! You ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
July 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
Okay....I'm 75 days out from the Atlanta ride. My donors have ponied up a little over $4k so far, and that's more or less on track. I think last year, I was about $800 to $1000 over where I'm at right now...

The big news was that this week, three time Atlanta fundraising champ Brian Hevesy entered the event again. He was out of the country working in Singapore for the first six months of the year, and he's already raised $3200 in a little over a week!

The guy's an awesome fundraiser! Last year, he beat me by about a $1000...I've got a couple of fundraisers I'm trying to pull off, but I do need some help and this message board has been incredibly generous over the last few years. TheRev and IBleedYellow have really gone above and beyond the call of duty with the extent of their support as have Ursus and Alpha. Ursus has made it really easy to raise money for the cause here with not only his support of the ride through featuring it on the site and on The Wedge, but with his fantastic financial support as well.

This is likely going to be my last year to do the ATL 24HOB in a big, meaningful way. I'll still do the ride, but I'm probably going to shift my attention to LiveSTRONG and fundraising for local cancer fighting entities. Also, I've wanted to do the MS 150 rides.

With a little over two months to go, I would appreciate any help that you guys could provide. No donation is too small and they're all desperately needed.

2014's been a great year for me, personally and professionally, but it's been an absolutely dreadful year from a cancer fighting perspective. My sweet friend Ann Hartline - who is the reason I got involved in the 24HOB in the first place, lost her battle this year, as did a good friend and teammate from college, Derrick Batiste. This year also saw the sudden diagnosis and passing of long time Lake Charles American Press sportswriter Bobby Dower, who's gentle challenge opened the door to my first real job after college, which indirectly led to what I do now. Cancer sucks.

Unfortunately, there are thousands of Anns and Derricks and Bobbys out there who battle the disease each and every day. And there are thousands more of their friends and families who provide incredible support for them. The stats are pretty sobering. One in two men and one in three women will develop some form of cancer in their lifetimes.

I know I post solicitations for the cause more frequently than I probably should, but the thing is....Cancer NEVER takes a day off and neither do those who battled it each and every day so that they may continue to live.

Please donate to your favorite cancer fighting charity. The money you donate does real and necessary work.

If you don't have a favorite cancer fighting charity, please consider donating to mine: The 24 Hours of Booty, which is the official 24 Hour Cycling event of the LiveSTRONG foundation.

In addition to providing support of LiveSTRONG's fantastic mission of patient navigation, early detection, survivorship and healthy living, the 24HOB also supports the national bone marrow donor registry, Be The Match, and provides direct funding for the clinical trials and research being done at places like The Levine Cancer Institute and the AFLAC Children's Hospital. Also a variety of other great charities including the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults (https://www.facebook.com/ulmancancerfund), The Hendrick Bone Marrow Project, The Sam Mills Keep Pounding Fund and, my personal favorite, Wind River Cancer Wellness Retreats (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wind-River-Cancer-Wellness-Retreats/46815209515), where my sweet friend Ann Hartline was a member of their inaugural class and had so many great memories.

Your donations are desperately needed, greatly appreciated and tax deductible.

http://www.24hoursofbooty.org/site/TR/Bike/General?px=1185201&pg=personal&fr_id=1270

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
Big thanks to AZGrizFan for yet another fantastic donation. I think this makes three years in a row he's supported the cause!

Thomas, thank you so much for your support! You ROCK...

BEAR
July 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
Keep reminding us FPC.... I know I can give in chunks instead of just the one big donation. Hey payday rolls around and $20 here and $20 there adds up! That's how I'm going to approach this!

In memory of my friend A.J. who lost his battle with cancer. Miss you bro.

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
It's all desperately needed and greatly appreciated!

TheRevSFA
July 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
I used to do monthly donations. Think I'll set that up again. My debit card info was stolen and it turned off my recurring ones

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Dude, you've got some pretty big obligations coming up...I appreciate everything you've done so far....you got this party started on AGS!

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks to Ursus for another great installment of a recurring gift he set up.....Pure Awesomeness.....I think this is gonna make him the highest individual donor this year!

Dude, you totally ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
July 23rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
Wow....Thanks to McNeese72 for his SECOND donation of the year! Doc was one of the original donors to the ride back in 2010 and has donated each and every year since...His brother in law has been my riding partner for many of these rides and Doc and his wife have supported us with multiple donations each of the last five years.

Doc, thank you for the incredible support! You ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
July 31st, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks to new donor GAPoke for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! It's always great to get new donors to the cause!

Thanks for the fantastic support GAPoke! You ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
August 12th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Okay...so.....53 days to go until we roll in Atlanta.....

By the numbers.....70 total donations so far, as compared to 142 last year, and as compared to the most prolific LiveSTRONG fundraiser who had 132 donors....

I've got 8 wardrobe changes so far compared to 14 for last year....and here are the numbers from AGS folks...

22 McNeese Donors - $1,375.00
9 Montana Donors - $626.00
7 Northwestern Donors - $750.00
4 North Dakota State Donors $275.00* (doesn't count IBY's recurring donation)
1 SELA Donor - $25.00
1 UCA Donor - $100
2 Montana State Donations $135.00
1 Samford Donor $100.00
1 New Hampshire Donor $100

Non-FCS schools

3 Texas State Donors - $300.00
2 Texas A&M Donors $250
3 Georgia Donors $74
2 UT Donors - $250
1 La Tech Donor $50.00
8 Unspecifieds

Thanks to everybody who's donated so far....You guys truly ROCK....

ursus arctos horribilis
August 13th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Here's a story I'm only willing to tell now because of the way it has turned out. You know how you always hear "cancer will affect someone you know" and so forth? Well it never had gotten to any close family or friends in my world. Then about 6 months ago my dad was having trouble swallowing and was diagnosed with Esophageal cancer.

I was real shaken up over it and of course was looking anywhere and everywhere for information. When I found it things seemed quite bleak to me. One of the sources I contacted was my good friend Jay Gallagher. He was an excellent guy to talk and was very helpful in pointing ursus in the right direction.

My dad is one tough son of a bitch and I held out all the hope in the world that he would get through the months of chemo and radiation and make a clean break from this **** due to that fact.

He had been off the chemo and radiation for a month last week when he went in for his scan. It was gone BUT there was fluid in his lungs and the doc was concerned that this may be cancerous so he had the big needle to extract and check the liquid for cancer.

Got the word today that this is also clean. Not trying to make this thread about my dad or anything like that. If you like, respect, or in any way ever wanted to say "Hey thanks ursus" and can afford to throw my friend Jay $5 or whatever suits your wallet then I'd really appreciate it if you'd take the time to do so.

I didn't pm ya to say "thank you" Jay but I just found out as I said so figured when you bumped this thread it was menat to be and put it in here.

Sincerely brother, thank you.xbowx

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Fantastic news on your Dad...Thank YOU for all the fantastic support...Thanks for sharing your story and for all you do to support the ride!

You ROCK!

McNeese72
August 13th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Fantastic news on your Dad...Thank YOU for all the fantastic support...Thanks for sharing your story and for all you do to support the ride!

You ROCK!

Come on, guys! I just looked at the fund raising roll on Jay's page and I can't believe the puny little amount I give is near the top of the roll (unless Jay has left out some donations).

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Doc it's all automated! And thankfully, so....otherwise, I'd probably procrastinate and never get any numbers on the board! ;)

MSUBobcat
August 13th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Alright Bobcat fans. It's kinda getting embarrassing being the only MSU fan donating and getting crushed by UM fans every year. I realize they have more fans on this board, but we can at least try to make it close, can't we? If you can support Jay's ride at all, even $5-10, it would help. We need $65 more for him to wear an MSU shirt during the ride, which I will pay for.
Seeing as how I don't remember many Bobcat fans user names so I can't PM you, I hope you guys see this. I don't want to have to resort to pop my thread-starting cherry on a thread pleading for your support

McNeese72
August 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Doc it's all automated! And thankfully, so....otherwise, I'd probably procrastinate and never get any numbers on the board! ;)

If that is the case and it is accurate, I'm astounded that more people can't donate more than my puny amount!! Come on, people.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 13th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hey all you non members lurking. There is normally 2-3K of you guys looking over the site each day. You don't need to be a member to donate people. If you can and you enjoy the site would donate $5 to Jay and put it down as "AGS Lurker" or something like that in the notes.

C'mon man, I never ask anything of you so can ya come through for me here? Please?

BEAR
August 13th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I just put in a few more dollars...and will continue to!

I challenge ALL UCA fans to donate! Let's rep this for the team in Conway!

Go Bears!

TheRevSFA
August 13th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Maybe FPC can wear an ugly striped jersey to match UCA's ugly striped field

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys! Today's been a great day for donations....McNeese 77 hit me with his FOURTH donation of year, and then MSUBobcat, Doc and Ursus put out their challenges and UCABear hit me with his SECOND donation of the year, we're starting to inch up..

Right now, I'm $15.00 away from the $5K mark so far, with just over 50 days to go till we ride...

You guys ROCK!

TheRevSFA
August 13th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Okay Jay I threw in 15. I'll throw more in later, but this would get you 5k

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Dude, you ROCK, as usual! The $5K mark does down!

Now, I've got a little over 50 days to raise $5K if I'm gonna match last year's output...Hmmmm.....I wonder....if $100 a day possible??? ;)

FormerPokeCenter
August 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Maybe FPC can wear an ugly striped jersey to match UCA's ugly striped field

You know me....for $200, I'll wear pretty much anything....

Although, as an SFA fan, I think you oughta be worried about Purple and Grey becoming the new Lumberjack Paradigm....there's an awful lot of it in the photos I'm seeing coming from Conque's training camp! ;)

TheRevSFA
August 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM
You know me....for $200, I'll wear pretty much anything....

Although, as an SFA fan, I think you oughta be worried about Purple and Grey becoming the new Lumberjack Paradigm....there's an awful lot of it in the photos I'm seeing coming from Conque's training camp! ;)

Yeah but our turf is still green. Purple and gray looks good, just not in stripes and for 100 yards

FormerPokeCenter
August 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Yesterday was a great fundraising day, TheRev took the kill shot on $5K, and a professional association I belong to kicked in $250. Last evening, Gary Laney, who used to provide McNeese with, arguably, the best newspaper coverage in the entire FCS, frequently posting here as McBeat, made a great donation on behalf of his Dad, which propelled our team fundraising to over $10K for the year...

Again, the FCS community ROCKS!

FormerPokeCenter
August 14th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks again to AlphaGriz for his THIRD donation of the year to the ride.....that's just awesomeness!

Dude, thank you for the great support! You ROCK!

BEAR
August 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I just advertised your effort on my facebook..... let's see if anyone bites....:)

FormerPokeCenter
August 14th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Awesomeness!

BEAR
August 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Most of my friends are worthless though..so don't go to bed with too much of a smile.... (that's not sandbagging sadly ) But they're friends..... xeyebrowx

FormerPokeCenter
August 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Okay, so 42 Days from today....Six weeks exactly.....we'll be pedaling around the Booty Loop in Atlanta to raise money for the beneficiary charities of the 24 Hours of Booty, including LiveSTRONG, Be The Match and the research being done at AFLAC Children's Hospital, The Levine Cancer Institute, the Cancer Center at Indiana Univeristy, the LiveSTRONG Cancer Institutes in Austin and monetary funds including The Hendrick Bone Marrow Project, the Sam Mills Keep Pounding Fund and the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. Also a beneficiary is the Wind River Cancer Wellness Center where my sweet friend Ann Hartline, who inspired me to start this fundraising journey, learned how to cope with the daily fight against cancer and who rediscovered her love and talent for art.

Here's a link to an article about how Annie, a cardiology nurse by training, supported herself through art when she could no longer work in the hospital due to cancer's ravages.

http://archive.citizen-times.com/article/20101007/PINK/310070005/The-art-survival-Asheville-area-artists-address-breast-cancer-work-by-working

One of my favorite LiveSTRONG sayings is "This Fight is Personal" but in 2014, that's proven to be true. Several people that I think highly of lost their battles with cancer this year: Ann, my former teammate and friend Derrick Batiste and Bobby Dower, the former McNeese beat writer and sports editor who gave me my first adult job as a sportswriter. They're why I ride and why I post so many fundraising solicitations.

Here's a video of the free-spirited Ann at the 5 year mark in her fight with cancer...

<span class="text_exposed_show" style="display: inline; color: rgb(55, 64, 78); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">
http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2012/october/living-life-large-with-metastatic-breast-cancer

And another article covering some of the same information.

http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2011/july/ann-hartline-cancer-isnt-all-she-is

And, here's another great video of Ann's fight...

<span class="text_exposed_show" style="display: inline; color: rgb(55, 64, 78); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4efEGrJW864

Here is perhaps my favorite video about Ann, taking by a friend of hers at First Descents, a group who takes cancer patients on "Outward Bound" type events in the outdoors like rock climbing or white water rafting...As you can see, Ann's fresh from chemo therapy, having lost her hair.

This captures her amazing spirit pretty well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFWSUbvXBs

Your tax deductible donations help real people fight real battles against the disease. No amount is too small and every donation is important. Your support is desperately needed and greatly appreciated. And, it's tax deductible!

Please help me make a difference in the war on cancer...

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Okay, so today my friend Brian Hevesy, the all time leader in the Atlanta 24 Hours of Booty fundraising and an all-around great guy, passed me and is nursing a $300 lead. Coincidentally, my team is $300 away from cresting the $12 mark for the year...

Any help you guys could provide in helping me make Brian work for it would be GREATLY appreciated! And, best of all, it's tax deductible!

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Cancer takes far too many lives....here's a great video of my friend and former McNeese State teammate Derrick Batiste sealing a Jacksonville Bulls victory over the Birmingham Stallions of the old USFL. You may recognize the imcomparable Keith Jackson calling the game...

Derrick lost his battle with pancreatic cancer earlier this year. Great player, even better person...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-OoWml40I

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Okay, wanna see what a former offensive lineman looks like on a high end road bike? I was looking around for event video and came across a GoPro video of the final parade lap at the end of last year's Atlanta ride. I was taking one last spin with my friend Marla Shapiro, in the red and yellow jersey, and my buddy Gary Gross, who you'll see give me some dap at the beginning of the clip. I hadn't seen this until now...I'm rockin Perry Beasley's Samford Jersey and a cape with the names of all of the folks I ride for inscribed on it...

This was the last lap, after riding for the better part of a day, so it's kinda leisurely...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152402688853406&set=vb.572003405&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152402688853406&amp;set=vb.572003405&amp;typ e=2&amp;theater

MSUBobcat
August 29th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Jay, it seems like my fellow Bobcat fans are too financially strapped to contribute to your ride xthumbsdownx so I made a contribution to get us to the $200 threshold. Now I just need an address to send you a shirt. Can you either PM me or email me where to send it?

Keep up the good fight! You are a great man!

MSUBobcat
August 29th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the Ice Bucket nomination BTW! It was warm out so not that much of a challenge. Come winter time, I'm thinking of doing the "warm blanket with a cup of hot chocolate" challenge. I'm extremely daring, I know!

FormerPokeCenter
August 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
LOL! Ryan, that was awesome! Thanks for doing the ALS challenge and for making the donation! You ROCK!

My Dog woulda bit me if I made her take the icebucket challenge with me!

FormerPokeCenter
September 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Two weeks and change to go till we roll in Atlanta with this year's 24 Hours of Booty...

I've got about $6k in donations, and I'm comfortably in second place....I'm working on a last minute, off line fundraiser to see if I can make up some ground....Running the numbers, roughly, I think AGS has contributed about $8K, total over the last three years I've done this. It's pretty amazing support. I wonder if there's anyway to get to $10K, total, by the end of this year's fundraising campaign??

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! I'll post the donations, by school, later this evening....I have a new school to ride for this year, thanks to MSUBobcat's great donations....

All donations are tax deductible and they go to fund national organizations like LiveSTRONG and Be The Match as well as the clinical trials and research being conducted at the Cancer Center of the AFLAC Children's Hospital, The Levine Cancer Institute, the Cancer Center at the University of Indiana and the new University of Texas/LiveSTRONG Cancer Institutes. Some of your donations go to support monetary funds like the Ulman Fund for Young Adults with Cancer, the Hendrick Bone Marrow Project and the Sam Mills Keep Pounding Fund. My friends at the Wind River Cancer Wellness Centers are also beneficiaries. Wind River is a great place in the North Carolina woods where cancer patients with pretty bleak diagnoses go to find ways to cope with the disease. My friend Ann Hartline, who is the reason I got involved in this fight, was in their initial class. The place is run by cancer survivors who quit the practice of law to focus on fighting the good fight. Wind River and LiveSTRONG are my favorite beneficiaries of the money we raise.

Your donations help real people fight real battles with cancer. I realize I can be an asshole on the political threads, but I truly appreciate all the absolutely tremendous support that you guys, from Ursus on down, provide.

You guys ROCK!

BEAR
September 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Bump...

C'mon you bums..... I know its some of your paydays today...xnodx xlolx

http://joanmarie87.blog.com/files/2011/08/3583835507_70dc089c19_z.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
8 Days to go until we ride in ATL....

I'm falling behind the leader, but....my team's at $18,000 and we're trying to get over $20K....I'm trying to get back over $7 or $8k and I'm at 6 and change...

No donation is too small!

And, next year, I won't be begging nearly as much for online funds....I'm gonna have a lower profile with the 24 HOB, more than likely transitioning more to LiveSTRONG and raising money for local projects with some off-line fundraisers...

I REALLY appreciate all the fantastic support from this board over the last three years. I'll still do Booty, and I'll still post a solicitation or two, but next year, I'll probably wait until right before the ride....

You guys ROCK!

tomq04
September 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Alright, you convinced me, you're awesome!

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
LOL! Tom, thanks for the great donation! I really appreciate the support! I think you're probably my first Eastern Washington donor, if memory serves me correctly!

I'm starting to like EW a lot more these days, what with beating Sam Houston and now having fans donate to the cause!

Thanks again for the support! You ROCK!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Jay what did we achieve last year and how close are we to that this year?

Last years ban hammers are going away so maybe it's time for another challenge.

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Last year, we did a little over $5k if memory serves me correctly....$3k the year before....this year, we're over $2k....So, all totaled, we've raised MORE than $10K on AGS for a fantastic cause!

- - - Updated - - -

Big Thanks to NDSU Student for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! Another young guy stepping up!

Awesomeness! You guys rock!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Alright. Same deal as last year then. If we reach 4K total this year and you donated $50 then you will receive a banhammer which is good for use on any member of this site (can't be used til season is over on any active AGS Poll voters) and is good for a one week banning on that person.

MPLSBison is our largest donor in that regard as I think he absorbed 3 of them last year. Gotta give credit where credit is due cuz he took it like a man each and every time.xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Dude, you rock! Your support is and has been awesome!

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2014, 08:14 PM
In the span of just a few minutes, I had a donation Brawl of the Wild going on...Both MSUBobcat and AG1 each hit me with their FOURTH donation of the year....that's pretty freakin awesome!

Both donations were pretty special. MSUBobcat donated in honor of his aunt, while AG1 made a $37 donation, which would require no explanation for you Montana fans, and then he tossed in another $100 over that.

That makes AG1 the largest individual donor to my ride this year...with $388.00...

Fellas, seriously, both of you ROCK! I'm humbled by the fantastic support...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Cheapo406 should have a whole bunch of money left over from Fargo, don't think he went in pocket once while there. Came back with more than he left with if and you wouldn't think it's possible but he did.

He should be able to kick in something but will he?

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 26th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, the twins bought enough shots to tranque a frat party and Fraud406 just sat there hopefully saving his money to donate it to a worthy cause......he sure as hell wasnt spending nay of it on our trip.

EllsworthGriz
September 28th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Ellsworthgriz here would like to step up to the plate and donate a 50.00 bill. Just need to know where to send it. Amazing and awesome thing that you are doing, this world needs more people with the character you posses.

FormerPokeCenter
September 28th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Ellsworth, that's awesome!

If you follow this link, there's a "Support Jay" button that you can use to get to the donation page if you want to do that online...

There are text boxes there for you to list somebody that you'd like to memorialize...I list all of the honorees on a "bib" they give us and I ride the course with their names...

Any help for the cause is GREATLY appreciated!

FormerPokeCenter
September 28th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Ellsworth, thanks for the great donation to the cause! I appreciate the support more than I can adequately explain!

You Griz fans are a class act!

Thank you again. You ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
September 30th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Okay, so....For all practical purposes, I've hit the $7K mark, and if some folks who've promised to contribute follow through, I'm pretty sure I'll get to 8K....My team is now just $400 away from hitting the $20,000.00 mark, with three donation days to go!

Any additional help you guys could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2014, 11:16 PM
schmizbo406 still hasn't pried his wallet loose huh?

Pony up MC piggy poo pants.

FormerPokeCenter
October 1st, 2014, 08:35 AM
He donated earlier! However, he has not as of yet answered the most recent call-outs from you or AG-1...

And, in fairness...if you evaluated the donation based on physical stature, his earlier donation is probably proportionate. Gnome what I'm saying?? ;)

BEAR
October 1st, 2014, 10:13 AM
I've reposted it on my facebook and challenged SLC fans to step up. Any donation will help.

Thanks for doing this Jay!

TheRevSFA
October 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Haha.

FormerPokeCenter
October 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Thank you guys for all the amazing support!

Earlier today, The Rev took the kill shot on $7k, donating 1 penny more than I needed to get there....pretty awesome....

You guys seriously ROCK!

TheRevSFA
October 1st, 2014, 12:07 PM
Let's get 10 people to donate 100 bucks and push him to 8,000.01

FormerPokeCenter
October 1st, 2014, 12:17 PM
Okay...so...since the last recap, AGSers have donated about $487.00, so now we're at roughly $2500.00....Ursus promised more ban hammers if we got to $4k total, so that leaves $1500.00 to get there...

Getting me to $8k would get us over the 20K hump, team wise...and get us pretty close to that $4k goal for AGS....roughly 53 donation hours left....It's definitely possible!

FormerPokeCenter
October 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Okay, thirty one donation hours left until we close the books on the 24 Hours of Booty this year. I'm in 2nd by a fairly wide margin, but it ain't over till it's over. The leader is up by $4k, so I'm pretty sure catching him isn't possible...unless somebody here really wants to make a statement!

however, I'm at $7150 and I'm trying to get to $8k....raising another $850 is very possible! 17 donations of $50 would do it!

And, best of all, it's tax deductible!

Also, the 24HOB does recurring donation...You set the amount and the terms....so...it's easy to do a $60 or $120 donation by pleding $5.00 or $10.00 per month....

But, even if we don't raise anything else, the support here has been pretty incredible!

You guys seriously rock!

FormerPokeCenter
October 2nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
Less than 24 donation hours to go....I'm at $7500, and my team is over $20K...

It would still be cool to get to $8K...and, if my math is right, AGSers have almost matched what we raised last year!

FormerPokeCenter
October 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
Big thanks to Grizo for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! And, his second one of the year!

Grizo, you rock!

Grizo406
October 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
Big thanks to Grizo for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! And, his second one of the year!

Grizo, you rock!

In your face, Ursus!

I rock...and that's the bottom line, 'cause FPC said so!!

So, please save, and take your sophomoric: "do ya'" response, and stick it up either your, or ALPHA's dumb ass...if you can find room.xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
October 2nd, 2014, 10:55 PM
In your face, Ursus!

I rock...and that's the bottom line, 'cause FPC said so!!

So, please save, and take your sophomoric: "do ya'" response, and stick it up either your, or ALPHA's dumb ass...if you can find room.xcoffeex

should i

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Okay....time for ONE last solicitation post! With roughly six donation hours left to go, I'm $101.99 away from the $8,000 mark!

A few small donations would get us over the hump! My team's about $300 way from hitting $21,000...I haven't run the AGS numbers yet, but I'm pretty sure we're a couple of dollars, literally, ahead of where we finished last year!

Pretty awesome stuff...I'm almost at $8k for the year and the total AGS donations for the last three years are approaching the $8K mark, too...

You guys rock!

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Alright! Another Montana State University donation! You can't EVER have too many donors from a school that wears Blue and Gold and whose initials are M.S.U.!

Thanks to Catbooster for his great donation to the 24 Hours of Booty! Now, I'm just $77 away from hitting the $8K mark!

Catbooster, I truly appreciate the support! You ROCK!

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Major ****ing props to AlphaGriz1.....he made another donation...for $37.00...which has me $40 away from hitting the $8K mark....That's his FOURTH donation of the year to the cause, and makes him my largest individual donor this year...

That's pretty freakin awesome....Underneath that cold, callous exterior lies the heart of a real cancer warrior!

Thanks AG1....you totally ROCK!

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 3rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
**** you, I hope you only get $39 more dollars....................

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
LOL! I know you don't mean that!

Besides, too late, now we're at $8,037.15, thanks to great donations from a HS friend and ANOTHER one from Ursus, for $37.15.

By the way, thanks Ursus! You rock!

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
The $37, I understand. What's the significance of the $.15???

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
The $37, I understand. What's the significance of the $.15???

It's gonna piss Alpha off that he didn't think of it so I'll let him explain it. xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
http://hubbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/Ron-Burgundy.jpg

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
It's gonna piss Alpha off that he didn't think of it so I'll let him explain it. xlolx

Ursus was COPYING me from my donation from last year for $51 dollars when Ursus took the Grizo way out and only donated $50. So this year to get me back he once again Grizzo'd it by going .15 cents instead of a dollar.

All that really matters is that the extra .15 cents and my dollar from last year is $1.15 more than Grizo donated. BOOM in your face Grizo!! Hes like that, he didnt buy a round the whole weekend in Fargo.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Ursus was COPYING me from my donation from last year for $51 dollars when Ursus took the Grizo way out and only donated $50. So this year to get me back he once again Grizzo'd it by going .15 cents instead of a dollar.

All that really matters is that the extra .15 cents and my dollar from last year is $1.15 more than Grizo donated. BOOM in your face Grizo!! Hes like that, he didnt buy a round the whole weekend in Fargo.
ooooh, it went a little deeper than that my friend.

This is gonna hurt.

http://buttesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dave-Dickenson2-610x400.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM
BTW, that ain't copying. That flat out is an over the topper!!!

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 3rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
Im calling my shot right now, Grizo will come on here stare at this beatdown on his Tandy computer screen. We will try to formulate a response and it will be funny because of its ineptitude and recycled material but the entire time I read it.....I will be thinking about him laying on the ground in Fargo making noises as he rolled around and realize this is just an online version of that.

BOOM

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bQlpDiXPZHQ/0.jpg

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 05:56 PM
Okay...so...fundraising has drawn to a close, and the $8,037.15 stands as the final number. Considering that AG1 was the largest individual donor, the 37.15 seems fitting!

My 7 member team ended up taking the top spot in team fundraising. I finished second in individual fundraising for the third year in a row, and as a team, we finished with the highest average for the second year in a row...

I fly out to Atlanta tomorrow morning at 5:45, so I wanted to thank all of you guys for A.) putting up with all the posts about the 24 Hours of Booty and B.) Being incredibly supportive! I'll post final numbers of AGS donors, but I can tell you that we raised more money this year on AGS than we did last year....

That's pretty freaking awesome! You guys rock!

TheRevSFA
October 3rd, 2014, 06:26 PM
Congrats man

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
Rev, you've got just as much to do with the finishes as I do...If you wouldn't have gotten the AGS fundraising kicked off in a meaningful way three years ago, we wouldn't have raised anywhere near what we've done...

Congrats to you, too, for getting this kicked off...And...

Thank you..

tomq04
October 4th, 2014, 12:57 AM
How awesome is that! Rock it tomorrow.

FormerPokeCenter
October 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Badass Jay! Congratulations and thanks for what you do! You rock man!xbowxxthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM
You're a good lookin' man that knows how to dress.