PDA

View Full Version : 2016 and Beyond: Automatic redshirting for those who can't meet requirements

bonarae
May 22nd, 2014, 05:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2071437-ncaa-will-force-incoming-freshmen-to-redshirt-if-they-have-a-23-or-lower-gpa?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

I'm not sure whose FCS schools will be impacted the most.

The requirements for 2016 and beyond are:
Minimum 2.3 core GPA based on 16 core courses (preferably 10 completed by senior year, and 7 should be English, Math or Science)
Meets sliding scale of GPA and SAT/ACT score

Academic redshirts can have a minimum 2.0 core GPA based on 16 core courses, regardless of number of courses completed by senior year. These will have to redshirt outright during their first year. After the first term is complete, they will need to maintain their good academic standing to practice throughout the year.

clenz
May 22nd, 2014, 05:34 PM
How in the hell do you not have at least a 2.3 GPA leaving high school?

Also, if they are below that they have ZERO business at a 4 year institution.

walliver
May 22nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
Ideas like this convince me more than ever that the NFL should have a development league. With rampant grade inflation in many high schools, a student could get a 2.3 and not be able to read.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Ideas like this convince me more than ever that the NFL should have a development league. With rampant grade inflation in many high schools, a student could get a 2.3 and not be able to read.

Absolutely correct on the NFLDL comment.

There needs to be a place for athletically talented young men to go directly from high school and not have to pretend that they go to class, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think that most of the young men playing football at DI schools relish the opportunity to get a Bachelor's degree at a discount rate or outright paid for. But there are those there who given the choice would not participate in the academic component.

Simple fact is that the NFL doesn't want to pay for anything, so they use college football as their DL and (until recently) college football was happy to generate billions of dollars doing that.

There's a part of me that wants to see the current system at the top blown up by the lawsuits and force the NFL's hand. But my life experience teaches me that when there's that much money involved amongst so many powerful men, spread out across the country - the system will be rigged in their favor.

IBleedYellow
May 22nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
Or the problem is schools care more about what GPA students have more than what the students are actually learning or absorbing from their classes.

PAllen
May 22nd, 2014, 09:57 PM
How in the hell do you not have at least a 2.3 GPA leaving high school?

Also, if they are below that they have ZERO business at a 4 year institution.

This

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Or the problem is schools care more about what GPA students have more than what the students are actually learning or absorbing from their classes.

There are always exceptions, but I don't see why high school GPA in core classes isn't a reasonable indicator for a student to be able to earn passing grades in higher education - depending on the institution, of course.

If teams are recruiting players who come in, fail their fall courses and them drop out of school in bad academic standing, that will lead to their APR scores plummeting and the teams being ineligible.

clenz
May 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
No...there is no reason for anyone (athlete or not) that can't pull a 2.3 gpa in high school to be at a 4 year institution right out of hs

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2014, 04:22 PM
No...there is no reason for anyone (athlete or not) that can't pull a 2.3 gpa in high school to be at a 4 year institution right out of hs

Not sure if you were replying to me, but my post isn't in disagreement with what you say here.

bkrownd
May 24th, 2014, 04:31 AM

What is a 2.3 in this particular newfangled GPA system - something like a C+? I was a B- student in high school and had no problem whatsoever as an undergrad and grad student in physics.

Yotes
May 24th, 2014, 07:58 AM
There needs to be a place for athletically talented young men to go directly from high school and not have to pretend that they go to class, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think that most of the young men playing football at DI schools relish the opportunity to get a Bachelor's degree at a discount rate or outright paid for. But there are those there who given the choice would not participate in the academic component.

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we aint come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS" -Ohio State QB, Cardale Jones

MplsBison
May 24th, 2014, 08:57 AM
What is a 2.3 in this particular newfangled GPA system - something like a C+? I was a B- student in high school and had no problem whatsoever as an undergrad and grad student in physics.

It means in 10 core classes you have to earn three B's and seven C's.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2014, 08:59 AM
"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we aint come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS" -Ohio State QB, Cardale Jones

Right. Like I said, I'm sure most DI football players are happy about being able to earn a bachelor's at reduced cost or outright free. But there are certainly some who would rather go a route of focusing exclusively on football right out of high school.