PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Tech Bought Out for '14 Game in May

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2014, 07:01 PM
Reports in Houston that UNLV will be replacing Tennessee Tech on the Univ of Houston schedule. Evidently UH bought out TTU. UNLV was able to add Houston because of the Hawaii exemption. Not sure why this happened so late...???

It's May 21!

Any report from OVC or Tennessee Tech fans?

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM
What date?

This is a MEAC style move

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

centennial
May 21st, 2014, 07:06 PM
Time for D3/D2 home game.

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2014, 07:12 PM
What date? This is a MEAC style move

To UH's credit... they already had a FCS opponent and were in a pickle to begin with having two. They tried desperately to get another FBS home game, since they are opening their own stadium.

Game is still on Houston's schedule for 9/27 but reports are coming from the UH beat writer, the Fox sports reporter who breaks everything and their Houston Scout message board. Legit based on the Fox guy.

bonarae
May 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM
That game was supposed to be on September 27. After the game was bought out, they currently only have 10 left.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 21st, 2014, 07:15 PM
When you schedule "money" games there's always a chance you get bought out.

The fewer FCS games the AAC plays the better. In fact, the AAC needs more games against the MWC....

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 08:48 PM
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO FILL UNI'S HOME SCHEDULE ON SEPTEMBER 27TH?

Morgan State backed out of the Sept 6th date leaving UNI with Sept 6th and 27th open. Preference has always been to fill the 6th but that wasn't working...and then apparently this.

This buy out apparently happened a while ago (like between 5-10 days ago at least) as UNI sent a tweet out saying that they'd filled the Morgan State back out game on the 27th rather than the 6th but couldn't announce it until final strings on the other side were completely tied.

Well, no written proof yet but it would seem that 2 and 2 equal 4 here.

TTUEagles
May 21st, 2014, 09:40 PM
Well, what the hell??? Figures. Still cannot believe that TTU has yet to release it's schedule. They were already looking for a sub-DI game to begin with for the 12th game. I'll see what I can find out...

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 09:50 PM
I have no "sources" or "inside information" other than it makes WAY too much damn sense for that to not be the case.

UNI had a 6th home game (with Morgan State) bought out and has been looking for a home game on either Sept 6 or 27th
UNI announced, on May 16th, they have a 6th home game for Sept 27th but can't/won't announce it until a later date...or as I read "some final lose ends are tied up"...
Rumors start to float that TTU's game on Sept 27th has been bought out - with what I assume is a decent sized check.
In my opinion the lose ends turn out to be TTU getting their check and final "you've been bought out" memo.

The timeline and dates match up WAY too well to not be the case. I'd bet UNI is paying a smallish fee to bring TTU in, or maybe a return game in a year or two.

Honestly, this game is better, in many ways, than the Morgan State game for UNI. I really hope it's the case.

Yotes
May 22nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
That does all line up, I'd be very surprised if UNI and TTU don't play each other.

clenz
May 23rd, 2014, 08:57 PM
Hearing more and more from various places UNI v TTU on Sept 27 is a done deal

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

JayJ79
May 23rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
so Houston is supposedly replacing Tennessee Tech with UNLV on 9/27, but UNLV is scheduled to play a conference game against San Diego State that day. How does that work?

clenz
May 23rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
Houston/UNLV will be Sept 20

At least according to about 50 people that I've seen on Twitter, UNLVs fan site and Houston's fan site
Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk so if there is typos deal with it.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
I have no "sources" or "inside information" other than it makes WAY too much damn sense for that to not be the case.

UNI had a 6th home game (with Morgan State) bought out and has been looking for a home game on either Sept 6 or 27th
UNI announced, on May 16th, they have a 6th home game for Sept 27th but can't/won't announce it until a later date...or as I read "some final lose ends are tied up"...
Rumors start to float that TTU's game on Sept 27th has been bought out - with what I assume is a decent sized check.
In my opinion the lose ends turn out to be TTU getting their check and final "you've been bought out" memo.

The timeline and dates match up WAY too well to not be the case. I'd bet UNI is paying a smallish fee to bring TTU in, or maybe a return game in a year or two.

Honestly, this game is better, in many ways, than the Morgan State game for UNI. I really hope it's the case.

And when things make WAY too much sense, they don't seem to happen sometimes....but yeah, this should be a slam dunk for a game.

TTUEagles
May 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I still cannot get any replies to my e-mails and no one I know up there (which is getting less and less by the years) has any knowledge of the 2014 schedule. Personally, I hope it is UNI. That would put "our" OOC at UNI, Indiana State, Chattanooga and probably an NAIA/D-III game. Not bad.

Pant8her
May 26th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Any more news on this front for the twelfth UNI game?

As I see it these are the potential options below:
The options are getting slim. Below are the FCS teams available on the two open dates.

The Big South has Monmouth on the 6th.

The CAA has Maine and UNH on the 6th. Either one of these two are very
tough teams and would have the playoff caliber and atmosphere.

The NEC has Bryant, Duquesne, RMU, Sacred Heart, and St. Francis, on the 27th.

The Pioneer has Dayton on the 27th. The the SoCon has Samford on the 6th and Wofford on the 27th.

The SLC has Houston Baptist on the 6th (last that I have checked).

Lastly the SWAC has Southern U on the 6th.

These are the choices I have seen, unless there is some type of buyout
of another game and I don't think UNI can afford that kind of money.

The only other options are a DII game or a third FBS game (lower tier)...

hope we get a DI game at home.

nwFL Griz
May 27th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Any more news on this front for the twelfth UNI game?

As I see it these are the potential options below:
The options are getting slim. Below are the FCS teams available on the two open dates.

The Big South has Monmouth on the 6th.

The CAA has Maine and UNH on the 6th. Either one of these two are very
tough teams and would have the playoff caliber and atmosphere.

The NEC has Bryant, Duquesne, RMU, Sacred Heart, and St. Francis, on the 27th.

The Pioneer has Dayton on the 27th. The the SoCon has Samford on the 6th and Wofford on the 27th.

The SLC has Houston Baptist on the 6th (last that I have checked).

Lastly the SWAC has Southern U on the 6th.

These are the choices I have seen, unless there is some type of buyout
of another game and I don't think UNI can afford that kind of money.

The only other options are a DII game or a third FBS game (lower tier)...

hope we get a DI game at home.

You've both omitted some teams that are available and included some teams that are not. Here's what I have as both available on your open dates, and has less than 12 already scheduled.

Big South - Monmouth on the 6th and Presbyterian on the 27th

CAA - Both Maine and UNH on the 6th

NEC - Bryant, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and St. Francis on the 27th

Pioneer - Jacksonville on the 6th, Dayton and Drake on the 27th

SoCon - Woff and Sam on the 6th

SWAC - Prairie View on the 6th

That's it.

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 08:17 AM
It's now official...

1650 The Fan | KCNZ ‏@1650KCNZ (https://twitter.com/1650KCNZ) 49s (https://twitter.com/1650KCNZ/status/471640949303808001)
The UNI football team has completed its 2014 schedule with the addition of a home game against Tennessee Tech on Sept. 27.

UNIFanSince1983
May 28th, 2014, 08:48 AM
It's now official...

1650 The Fan | KCNZ ‏@1650KCNZ (https://twitter.com/1650KCNZ) 49s (https://twitter.com/1650KCNZ/status/471640949303808001)
The UNI football team has completed its 2014 schedule with the addition of a home game against Tennessee Tech on Sept. 27.

UNIAthletics has put it on their Facebook and Twitter now.

Glad to see we got another D1 game instead of going sub D1. Going to be nice to see a new team in the Dome as well!

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 09:30 AM
As dumb as this will sound...

I'm interested to see how a bright chrome purple helmet looks lined up right across for a matte purple helmet.

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=626866&SPID=90703&DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=209509366 (http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209509366&SPSID=626866&SPID=90703&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200#)

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/RC/RCFHBBWPDZLPZGH.20111009040103.jpg

University of Northern Iowa Director of Athletics Troy Dannen announced today the completion of the 2014 Panther football schedule with the addition of Tennessee Tech University on Sept. 27 in the UNI-Dome.
The Golden Eagles produced a mark of 5-7 last season with a 2-6 record in Ohio Valley Conference play. Tennessee Tech scored a 38-37 victory over Indiana State last year. Tennessee Tech is located in Cookeville, Tenn.

UNI will play six home games in the 2014 season with contests against Northern Colorado (Sept. 20), Tennessee Tech (Sept. 27), South Dakota State (Oct. 18), Illinois State (Nov. 1), North Dakota State (Nov. 8) and Missouri State (Nov. 22). All six home games will tentatively kickoff at 4 p.m. in the UNI-Dome.

Oddly enough, the photo used for the story was from an Indiana State game...likely by accident and not related to them being in the story...but fun to notice.

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/55a794c8fc5343ce818f87e1f37a1398/460x.jpg

vs

http://helmetgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/wisconsin-badgers-new-2013-red-football-helmet-vs-tennessee-tech-purple-hrome-helmet-2.jpg

dewey
May 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Maybe I missed it but is this a one year deal or a home and home deal? Seems like a great fit for both teams.

Dewey

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Maybe I missed it but is this a one year deal or a home and home deal? Seems like a great fit for both teams.

Dewey
Initially it appears to be a one year deal...

UNI had a home buy game bought out
TTU had a road buy game bought out

Dates matched.

However, nothing official on that end has been announced from what I've seen. UNI also said they were willing to set up some 2/1s or H/H series with schools.

This is what UNI has for next season

Sept 5 at Iowa State
Sept. 12 vs Eastern Washington
Home:
South Dakota
Southern Illinois
Indiana State
Western Illinois
Away:
South Dakota State
North Dakota State
Illinois State
Missouri State

With it being an 11 game season (I think) only 1 date remains open. It's really a toss up between a home date or road date with 5 home games already scheduled. However, it is a rather weak home schedule that year. Yes, theres EWU but after that is the 2 of the three bottom MVFC clubs, our traditional rivals and one team that is new to the league that could be mid pack or be part of the bottom three in 2015. EWU and SIU are the only real draws. However, to play 6 home games in an 11 game season for UNI with the only road game being an FBS game is almost unheard of.

UNI does love to have a couple schools that are always good for a H/H or 2/1 series and are reliable to not buy it out. I'd bet you don't see a MEAC school on the schedule for UNI any time soon. UNI has good OOC "rivalries" with McNeese State, SFA (I believe both SFA and MSU are in the top 4 or 5 most played FCS teams that aren't conference mates in UNI history) a potential good relationship blooming with Northern Colorado. Adding TTU to that list would be great

TTUEagles
May 28th, 2014, 10:50 AM
This is good! I'm very pleased as a Golden Eagle fan! Nice OOC schedule for once - I seriously prefer this over the U of Houston game.
Another probable win for us before we start the OVC gauntlet.

clenz
May 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM
This is good! I'm very pleased as a Golden Eagle fan! Nice OOC schedule for once - I seriously prefer this over the U of Houston game.
Another probable win for us before we start the OVC gauntlet.
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/da-fuq_zps5aa967ee.jpg

TTUEagles
May 28th, 2014, 11:32 AM
HA! I was OBVIOUSLY sarcastic on my last written sentence......:D

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Good news... TTU likely got a small buy out to move the game and is on for next year too...

Houston adds Sept. 20 game this year vs. UNLV, moves Sept. 27, 2014 game vs. Tennessee Tech to 2015

Brett McMurphy (https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/472087303674789888)