PDA

View Full Version : Conference Races Heating up

flexbone
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
This is GREEAT. it looks like there are going to be some really close conference races down the strecth.Southern - MEAC - A-10 - Gateway, this list goes on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
give me your opinion as to who will win your conference race,
Be Fair and honest.

Unfortunately, I see App State for my conference. not my beloved EAGLES.

A HUGE game this week in the socon with FU and App St. the winner is the champ imo.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM
I think the Gateway will be up for grabs on Nov 18th in the UNI-Dome. UNI and Il St. Winner gets the auto bid.

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
I guess right now it looks like Holy Cross, but if I had to put money on it, I'd go with Colgate, just a hunch...

galojay
October 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
I think the Gateway will be up for grabs on Nov 18th in the UNI-Dome. UNI and Il St. Winner gets the auto bid.

Unless WKU knocks off UNI on Nov 4 !

shakdaddy3
October 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Unless WKU knocks off UNI on Nov 4 !

that is entirely possible too... i'm pulling for WKU, no doubt! :hurray:

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
This is GREEAT. it looks like there are going to be some really close conference races down the strecth.Southern - MEAC - A-10 - Gateway, this list goes on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
give me your opinion as to who will win your conference race,
Be Fair and honest.

Unfortunately, I see App State for my conference. not my beloved EAGLES.

A HUGE game this week in the socon with FU and App St. the winner is the champ imo.

The conference championship will all but be decided this week. Furman and ASU are both undefeated in conference play with the next team sitting with two conference losses and two games left after this week.

The winner of this game will have to lose its final to conference games and the loser win both of theirs to deny the other the crown. I just don't see that happening for either team.

HensRock
October 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
The A-10 is UMass's to lose, IMO.
Lots of big games left in the A10 though. And I think it plays out as the most interesting race.

8 teams are still mathematically in the running with a 5-team log-jam at 2-2 in conference. Only UMass and UMaine completely control their destiny even though JMU shares their 4-0 conference record. (They lose a tie-breaker to UMass)

UMass 4-0
Maine 4-0
JMU 4-0
UNH 2-2
NU 2-2
UR 2-2
TU 2-2
UD 2-2

putter
October 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Montana controls its own destiny being the only undefeated team in the Big Sky at 5-0 and have 3-4 at home with their only road game at Northern Colorado.

Montana St. only has 1 conference loss and is playing very well and seems to have put their early debacles behind them.

Portland St still has a shot but has to play Oregon so they can not slip up during conference play.

redbirdtim
October 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
No lie I will be a huge WKU and SIU fan when UNI plays both teams.

UNI is definitely in their rough stretch of the season...@ YSU, WIU, WKU, @SIU, ISU. What teams want are the MSU and Indiana St. games in the middle of those games. YSU and UNI are the only teams to both have played InSU and MSU, so their schedules will get relatively tougher. Now, we do have to realize that InSU has a decent offense and Missouri State can also shock any team. Can't focus past them even though they have a combined 1 Gateway win.

SIU is going to be mightly hungry when the Panthers come to town...home after two road games...playoffs could be on the line...

GeauxColonels
October 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Lots of big games left in the A10 though. And I think it plays out as the most interesting race.

8 teams are still mathematically in the running with a 5-team log-jam at 2-2 in conference. Only UMass and UMaine completely control their destiny even though JMU shares their 4-0 conference record. (They lose a tie-breaker to UMass)

UMass 4-0
Maine 4-0
JMU 4-0
UNH 2-2
NU 2-2
UR 2-2
TU 2-2
UD 2-2

How does UMass hold the tie-breaker over JMU if both are 4-0 in conference? Just curious, I'm not sure how the A-10 decides their tie-breakers?

th0m
October 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm wondering too, since UMass and JMU won't play. I guess it'll have something to do with our DII game.

RabidRabbit
October 23rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
SDSU's win over Poly opens up the possibility of virtually all five teams could end up 2-2. :eyebrow:

The driver's seat belongs to the school that hasn't started conference play, NDSU.

SDSU pulled out a miracle in SLO, but still have to get road wins vs SUU, NDSU, and a home win vs Davis. 1-0 so far, and could end up 4-0, but also could end up 1-3.

Poly only has one conference game left, at NDSU. Win that, Poly at worst, ties for the title at 3-1. Lose, and 2-2, and with most of the conference.

UC Davis is 1-1, with xDSU's to play. Aggies could win out, but.....

SUU - 0-2 and home games against the xDSU's. Least likely to tie for the title. However, two home games....:nono:

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

UMass 4-0
Maine 4-0
JMU 4-0
UNH 2-2
NU 2-2
UR 2-2
TU 2-2
UD 2-2

I think only UMass truly control their destiny, Maine would lose out to JMU since they have a D-II win also with Shaw....but after last week in I-AA, I won't make any more predictions.....LOL

JMU_MRD'03-'07
October 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
I haven't officially looked it up, but UMass's only loss was to I-A Navy while JMU lost to I-AA ASU. So same conference record + Same overall record = who did you loose to.
This is similar but not the same as 2004 when JMU was co-champ but lost the tiebreaker to W&M since they beat us head to head.

My only hope is that UNH beats both Maine and UMass to give JMU the outright championship in the A10. And with all three of those teams playing eachother in the next few weeks its going to be a great finish to the amazing season!!

Umass74
October 23rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
A10 Tiebreakers (outside division)

1. Head to head record (JMU and UMass DNP)

2. Combined winning percentage of all common A10 opponents.

3 If the above fails, each team will be awarded one point for a win over teams from the Big Sky,Big South, Gateway, Ivy, Mid-Eastern, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern and current Independents. 1/2 point for victories against Metro Atlantic, Northeast and Pioneer. Two points for a I-A victory. No points for a DII or DIII win. One point deduction for a loss to DII or DIII. No deduction for a I-A loss. Team with most points is the auto bid.

4. If all the above fail, the directors of all A10 teams not involved in the tie and the A.D's with input from the various team coaches will declair an auto bid winner by fiat. :rotateh:

catbob
October 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
The Montana schools both control their own destiny. Montana will make it no matter what the outcome of Cat/Griz (assuming they don't slip up before hand... twice). MSU has to win out or they are outside looking in once again.

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Montana controls its own destiny being the only undefeated team in the Big Sky at 5-0 and have 3-4 at home with their only road game at Northern Colorado.

Montana St. only has 1 conference loss and is playing very well and seems to have put their early debacles behind them.

Portland St still has a shot but has to play Oregon so they can not slip up during conference play.

Still a chance for 3 BSC teams in the playoffs, but the Cats would have to win out, with PSU win their remaining games sans Oregon, if they play the Ducks tough.

LUHawker
October 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
I guess right now it looks like Holy Cross, but if I had to put money on it, I'd go with Colgate, just a hunch...

Too early to call HC the favorite right now. Yes they have the best record at 3-0, but they still face Colgate and Lehigh, which are also undefeated in the league. What I think is interesting is that HC defeated Lehigh last year, right around this time and they were in the hunt then, too. But, they lost a couple of games and Colgate and LC ended up winning. I don't think that scenario is unrealistic again this year.

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Too early to call HC the favorite right now. Yes they have the best record at 3-0, but they still face Colgate and Lehigh, which are also undefeated in the league. What I think is interesting is that HC defeated Lehigh last year, right around this time and they were in the hunt then, too. But, they lost a couple of games and Colgate and LC ended up winning. I don't think that scenario is unrealistic again this year.

Anything can definitely happen...was that HC/LU game the one when it rained?

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I'm wondering too, since UMass and JMU won't play. I guess it'll have something to do with our DII game.

I don't know what the A-10 tiebreakers are, either, but I can't imagine it would have anything to do with what teams do out-of-conference. That would just be absurd.

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
3 If the above fails, each team will be awarded one point for a win over teams from the Big Sky,Big South, Gateway, Ivy, Mid-Eastern, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern and current Independents. 1/2 point for victories against Metro Atlantic, Northeast and Pioneer. Two points for a I-A victory. No points for a DII or DIII win. One point deduction for a loss to DII or DIII. No deduction for a I-A loss. Team with most points is the auto bid.

Wow. Ok. I had no idea.