PDA

View Full Version : Sams to transfer

Ex Pat
May 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM
K State QB Daniel Sams to transfer to an FCS closer to his family in Lousiana. Who needs a QB down there? He spent last year as the option counterpart to Jake Waters, but saw his playing time slide as Waters improved. SELA and a couple others already looking tough, this could be a great get for someone.

Ex Pat
May 13th, 2014, 09:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10924137/kansas-state-wildcats-losing-receiver-daniel-sams-transfer

Nickels
May 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Sam.

lionsrking2
May 13th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Likely headed to McNeese.

centennial
May 13th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I watched him last year vs NDSU and then Michigan. Good player however his dad thought he deserved to play 1st string, throws okay and runs well. He shared the QB duties with Jake. He will be a good get for any team that is not throw oriented.

McNeese72
May 14th, 2014, 07:25 AM
His uncle is former Cowboy B. J. Sams, who, I understand, is a volunteer coach at Sulphur High School while on NFL disability. Of course, the volunteer coach and disability part is second hand information and I can't verify the veracity of that information.

I don't know where he will end up going and I vowed to quit getting excited over potential transfers until they are actually in school.

Sammy94
May 14th, 2014, 08:14 AM

He would of been a great fit under Fritz with the "Wildkat" but I don't think he fits well with the new offensive scheme. There is a reason a JUCO kid beat him out at K-State.

Bisonator
May 14th, 2014, 08:26 AM
He should of moved to running back. He's a below average QB.

msupokes1
May 14th, 2014, 08:29 AM
He completed 38-53 passes last year for 450 or so yards. He ran the ball 150 for 800 yards. He has a more than a sufficient arm to do damage at quarterback. He is a run first quarterback though. He was also all big 12 honor mention at quarterback last year. Pretty impressive for a backup.

clenz
May 14th, 2014, 09:09 AM
He completed 38-53 passes last year for 450 or so yards. He ran the ball 150 for 800 yards. He has a more than a sufficient arm to do damage at quarterback. He is a run first quarterback though. He was also all big 12 honor mention at quarterback last year. Pretty impressive for a backup.
You conveniently left out his 1:1 TD:INT and don't start

Compared to the starter that throws 5 times more passes in a season yet just 5 more INTs (Waters was 1 every 29 passes and Sames was 1 every 12). Waters also averaged 4 more yards per completion and nearly 2 more yards per attempt...while throwing 5 times more passes. That is the inverse of what you'd expect in that situation.

Waters, after one season, also is top 5 in school history in yards per game and efficiency as well...

It says most of what you need to know about a QB when they run for twice as many yards per game as they pass for...and run the ball 3 times more than they throw the ball.

How he got HM and Waters wasn't mentioned is a complete joke.

msupokes1
May 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I was not trying to make an argument that he was better than Waters. My argument is that he is better than an average quarterback. Would he make a great drop back passer? No. But that does not mean he cant be a great quarterback. There are a lot of quarterbacks out there who aren't great drop back quarterbacks.

BEAR
May 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM
The Bears are loaded to bear...at QB...I'm afraid some of our QBs might transfer..especially Hildebrand..what an arm!

Professor Chaos
May 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM
He would be a good spread option QB for any FCS team in my opinion. He's obviously more dangerous with his legs than his arm but it doesn't take a big arm to be a good spread option QB especially when you have the athletic ability Sams has at this level.

msupokes1
May 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
His uncle played for McNeese back in the early 2000's. He was a terrific player with a lot of athletic ability. He went on to play a few years for the Baltimore Ravens. Daniel looks to have the same athletic ability but yet on a little bit bigger frame. He will be a great pickup wherever he lands.

IBleedYellow
May 14th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Still mad that when he came in last year everyone in the stadium knew he'd be running the football minus our defense...

Bisonator
May 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Still mad that when he came in last year everyone in the stadium knew he'd be running the football minus our defense...

Yeah I still wonder why the coaches or Grant didn't recognize that or if they just didn't get everyone on the same page there.

centennial
May 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Yeah I still wonder why the coaches or Grant didn't recognize that or if they just didn't get everyone on the same page there.
This is why he is transferring. K-State made him into a one trick pony and he needed to only throw occasionally. There is no way he gets into any kind of rhythm.

McNeese72
May 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM
He would be a good spread option QB for any FCS team in my opinion. He's obviously more dangerous with his legs than his arm but it doesn't take a big arm to be a good spread option QB especially when you have the athletic ability Sams has at this level.

This would be exactly what we could use with the runningbacks we will have next season. The last few seasons when we ran a spread option play, the defense didn't have to pay attention to the QB because they knew he wasn't keeping the ball. And we couldn't scramble worth a crap on busted pass plays.

Oh, wait, I forgot. We are going to suck next season!! ;-)

Of course, I quit being excited about rumors of transfers until they are actually enrolled in school.

FormerPokeCenter
May 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
This would be exactly what we could use with the runningbacks we will have next season. The last few seasons when we ran a spread option play, the defense didn't have to pay attention to the QB because they knew he wasn't keeping the ball. And we couldn't scramble worth a crap on busted pass plays.

Oh, wait, I forgot. We are going to suck next season!! ;-)

Of course, I quit being excited about rumors of transfers until they are actually enrolled in school.

We took the kid from Tulsa and we took Riley Dodge. It may not be popular to say, but I think having those two kept us from really working on the kids we signed out of HS. Sams, IF he came, would be a legacy player based on what his uncle did, obviously, but I'm not so sure I want another transfer QB to come in. He'd have to first and foremost be committed to the team. I'm not in the mood for another one-year wonder like Nic Jacobs...

McNeese72
May 14th, 2014, 03:16 PM
We took the kid from Tulsa and we took Riley Dodge. It may not be popular to say, but I think having those two kept us from really working on the kids we signed out of HS. Sams, IF he came, would be a legacy player based on what his uncle did, obviously, but I'm not so sure I want another transfer QB to come in. He'd have to first and foremost be committed to the team. I'm not in the mood for another one-year wonder like Nic Jacobs...

You have valid points. But what I saw from the QB's in the Spring Game/Final Scrimmage didn't excite me very much. Of course, it looked like the whole team was just going through the motions that day and it was the only scrimmage I made during the spring.

Doc

msupokes1
May 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I really feel like this kid could put us in the mix to compete this year. I would normally say one kid does not make a team. We have a lot of play makers already but we really have no quarterback at this point. With him I feel like we could be better than last year. Without him it could be a long season.

McNeese72
May 14th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I really feel like this kid could put us in the mix to compete this year. I would normally say one kid does not make a team. We have a lot of play makers already but we really have no quarterback at this point. With him I feel like we could be better than last year. Without him it could be a long season.

That's sort of the way I feel. The missing piece on offense right now is a good mobile QB. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
May 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM
That's sort of the way I feel. The missing piece on offense right now is a good mobile QB. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Doc

Obviously, since I'm not local, I don't see practices and scrimmages like you guys do. I thought Bolfing was rather mobile, and the kid from Tulane?

Nickels
May 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Maybe he's the missing piece that will finally get y'all past the 1st round? :D

McNeese75
May 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Maybe he's the missing piece that will finally get y'all past the 1st round? :D

If you only knew how many people in this neck of the woods pray for that missing piece to show up xlolx

McNeese75
May 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Obviously, since I'm not local, I don't see practices and scrimmages like you guys do. I thought Bolfing was rather mobile, and the kid from Tulane?

Tulane transfer is playing safety now (and can flat out hit if they will teach him to quit hurting himself, LOL). Bolfing did keep the ball on occasion in the spring. The RS Freshman Ashcroft even took off a couple times (think Giraffe) and moved on down the field pretty well. Who knows, he could turn into another Barrick Nealy (Texas State). Nealy certainly was not "All That" in his early years and turned into a pretty good QB other than not knowing when to take a knee xwhistlex

McNeese72
May 14th, 2014, 04:40 PM

For some reason Bolfing's short 3/4 sidearm delivery bugs the hell out of me. I don't dislike him, I just don't like the way it looks and it looks like it could get batted down more easily.

Raven Maniac
May 14th, 2014, 09:41 PM
You conveniently left out his 1:1 TD:INT and don't start

Compared to the starter that throws 5 times more passes in a season yet just 5 more INTs (Waters was 1 every 29 passes and Sames was 1 every 12). Waters also averaged 4 more yards per completion and nearly 2 more yards per attempt...while throwing 5 times more passes. That is the inverse of what you'd expect in that situation.

Waters, after one season, also is top 5 in school history in yards per game and efficiency as well...

It says most of what you need to know about a QB when they run for twice as many yards per game as they pass for...and run the ball 3 times more than they throw the ball.

How he got HM and Waters wasn't mentioned is a complete joke.

Don't discourage him! This kid would be a great QB at McNeese!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
May 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Well, that didn't take long....checking the "Recently added" people on Sams's Facebook account shows that Sams and SELA's RB coach are now fast friends...

Interesting.....

Sammy94
May 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Interesting..... ?

It shouldn't be it is SELA. But, of all the SLC schools where he could play QB, that is not one of them.

McNeese75
May 15th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Maybe he really wants to be a running back xconfusedx

Sammy94
May 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Maybe he really wants to be a running back

He already is.

lionsrking2
May 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Well, that didn't take long....checking the "Recently added" people on Sams's Facebook account shows that Sams and SELA's RB coach are now fast friends...

Interesting.....

I learned long ago, when it comes to recruiting, not to read anything into who friends/follows who on FB & Twitter. I'm sure Sams will do his homework and choose the best fit for what he's looking for. Wherever it is, I wish him the best.

FormerPokeCenter
May 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Sams has a rather limited number of FB friends. It's interesting that the SELA Coach is one of them ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sams has a rather limited number of FB friends. It's interesting that the SELA Coach is one of them ;)

msupokes1
May 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
He has like 4,000 friends on facebook. I am one of them.

clenz
May 15th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Please tell me you actually know him personally.....

FormerPokeCenter
May 16th, 2014, 06:53 AM

LOL, thanks for killin my point!

dcpsujag
May 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM
he would be crazy to go to southeastern,they already have a qb

McNeese72
May 19th, 2014, 03:25 PM
he would be crazy to go to southeastern,they already have a qb

Agreed.

SFA 93
May 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM
SFA can't touch him as KSU stated he couldn't go to SFA since the Jacks are on their schedule.

But Coach Conque has brought in other transfers for the Jacks...

DB: Hipolito Corporan 6-1; 184 Houston, Texas (Westside/Utah) So. *** (Rivals)

AP 5A 1st Team All-State
1st Team All-District
1st Team All-Greater Houston
Top 100 Recruit
Touchdown Club Defensive Player of the Year Finalist
Played 12 games as true freshman at Utah

OL: Michael Boddie 6-5; 300 Gilmer, Texas (Gilmer/Missouri) Jr. *** (Rivals)

1st Team All-State
3X 1st Team All-District

RB: Aaron Piper 5-9; 180 Duncanville, Texas (Duncanville) r/Fr. *** (247 Sports)

QB: Zach Conque 6-5; 230 Little Rock, Arkansas (Catholic/UTSA) So. ** (Rivals)

1st Team All-State
Arkansas Gatorade Player of the Year Finalist

DB: Maurice Poullard 5-11; 190 Houston, Texas (Dobie/UTSA) Sr. ** (Rivals)

RB: Cameron Washington 5-10; 185 Corsicana, Texas (Corsicana/Navarro) Jr.

2X 1st Team All-Area
1st Team All-District
Male Athlete of the Year

S: Robert Jackson 6-1; 212 Palmetto, Florida (Palmetto/New Mexico Military)

S: Chip Jones 5-11; 212 Mesquite, Texas (Horn/Navarro) Jr.

DB: Travaine Strong 5-9; 155 Mesquite, Texas (Mesquite/Arkansas Tech)

clenz
May 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Do slc schools even recruit hs kids or just wait for fbs cast offs?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Texas
May 19th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Do slc schools even recruit hs kids or just wait for fbs cast offs?

I'm sorry your state sucks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

McNeese75
May 20th, 2014, 12:05 AM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=29415.1050

Post 1053 is unconfirmed but promising.

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 03:59 AM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=29415.1050

Uh, Bookie_Pimp got that from me. One of my tailgating friends said one of his friends said that another one of my friends who works at McNeese said that he had registered. Now, if my friend who works at McNeese really said it, I would believe it because she is a bigtime fan and is a very reliable source. But I don't know first hand that she said it. May email her tomorrow.

Doc

clenz
May 20th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I'm sorry your state sucks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Um....what?

Sammy94
May 20th, 2014, 07:52 AM

I thought you guys already had a couple of FBS running backs? Looks like game planning against the Boys will be much easier this year. Run left, run right, run up the middle, punt. I really hope he is registered.

McNeese75
May 20th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I thought you guys already had a couple of FBS running backs? Looks like game planning against the Boys will be much easier this year. Run left, run right, run up the middle, punt. I really hope he is registered.

Good luck with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, Bookie_Pimp got that from me. One of my tailgating friends said one of his friends said that another one of my friends who works at McNeese said that he had registered. Now, if my friend who works at McNeese really said it, I would believe it because she is a bigtime fan and is a very reliable source. But I don't know first hand that she said it. May email her tomorrow.

Doc

Oh that sounds like it came straight from the Horse's mouth Doc xlolx

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Hey, McNeese75. Please check your private messages on this messageboard.

Thanks,
Doc

msupokes1
May 20th, 2014, 01:47 PM
He has not enrolled at McNeese at this time. If he enrolls here at all it will not be until the beginning of June.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Good luck with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that sounds like it came straight from the Horse's mouth Doc xlolx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xia5iC9X3Bg

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
He has not enrolled at McNeese at this time. If he enrolls here at all it will not be until the beginning of June.

Rumor has it that he has registered. Summer school registration has been going on for awhile according to the schedule on the McNeese website. But even if it is true and he has registered, he could still change his mind and withdraw. The important date is June 9th when summer school classes start.

I'll believe it for sure when I see it announced by the McNeese Athletic Department.

I do wish the young man well where ever he ends up.

Doc

clenz
May 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Rumor has it that he has registered. Summer school registration has been going on for awhile according to the schedule on the McNeese website. But even if it is true and he has registered, he could still change his mind and withdraw. The important date is June 9th when summer school classes start.

I'll believe it for sure when I see it announced by the McNeese Athletic Department.

Doc
FWIW I'm currently registered at 3 different universities with zero intention of going to 2 of them.... Doesn't really mean a ton.

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 04:03 PM
FWIW I'm currently registered at 3 different universities with zero intention of going to 2 of them.... Doesn't really mean a ton.

Like I said the important date is June 9th when classes begin. I'll wait to see what happens. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. We will still play football with or without the transfer.

Doc

msupokes1
May 20th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Doc

I spoke with a source very close to the situation (probably as close as you can get) and he said that he has not enrolled yet. He just finished school last Friday. This source does not anticipate him registering until June if at all.

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I spoke with a source very close to the situation (probably as close as you can get) and he said that he has not enrolled yet. He just finished school last Friday. This source does not anticipate him registering until June if at all.

Yes, my source now says no registration, yet, too. So, we wait. If it happens, it happens. If not, we will play with the ones we got. ;-) I'm going to quit talking about it and just wait to see.

Doc

McNeese72
May 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
McNeese75 check your P.M.'s again.

Doc

Sammy94
May 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM
Good luck with that.

I use to say that about our "wildkat" guy also. Sams is very much like Richard Sincere perhaps Sams is a better athlete and surely a better QB, I don't know. What I do know is that when a team becomes one dimensional, good teams figure it out a plan to stop it. There is a reason K-State was the only school to offer QB to Sams. Once they figured out their mistake and tried to move him, he wanted out. Sure he won all Big XII whatever but it wasn't because of his passing ability. Sams even shared the QB role at the high school level as the wild kat guy and he has never been the man who took all the snaps at QB. Like Sincere, Sams will win McNeese games single handedly but it won't be his arm that does it. Heck he may even get McNeese past the first game in the playoffs but when that team shows up and shuts down the running game,
Good luck with that

msupokes1
May 21st, 2014, 08:25 AM
If Sams shows up, McNeese will be loaded in the backfield. Two running back transfers from SEC schools and burner Kelvin bennet. I think we could see McNeese run a similar offense to what Auburn runs. Auburns quarterback was not a thrower and yet he brought them to the national championship. I am hesitantly optimistic. Without him we will probably be mediocre. Heck with him we could still have a mediocre year but I like our chances a little bit more with him.

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 08:28 AM
If Sams shows up, McNeese will be loaded in the backfield. Two running back transfers from SEC schools and burner Kelvin bennet. I think we could see McNeese run a similar offense to what Auburn runs. Auburns quarterback was not a thrower and yet he brought them to the national championship. I am hesitantly optimistic. Without him we will probably be mediocre. Heck with him we could still have a mediocre year but I like our chances a little bit more with him.
Are you talking about Cam Newton?

The Cam Newton that has completed 60% of his NFL passes for over 11k yards and 64 TDs in 3 years?

OR

the Cam Newton that completed 67% of his passes for 2900 yards and a 30:7 TD:INT his one year at Auburn?

You mean that Cam Newton?

He's actually a pretty good passer

OR

are you talking Nick Marshall (who didn't win the NC but did get there last season) that completed 60% of his passes for 2000 yards and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio last season? All while having Tre Mason run for 1800 yards and running for 1200 himself.

Cam Newton put those passing numbers up while running for 1400 of his own yards and having Michael Dyer run for 1100 of his own yards.

Both of whom played in the SEC putting those numbers up....not as a scrub wildcat guy in the defenseless B12 while completing roughly 40% of his passes

And they both averaged more YPC than Sams while having more rushing attempts each...again the inverse (much like his passing skills compared to Jake Waters at KSU) for what you'd expect for someone with fewer attempts than someone with more for an average

msupokes1
May 21st, 2014, 08:47 AM
Sams completed 75% of his passes over the last 2 years. He was used as a running quarterback. They put him in to run. That is not to say he cant pass. Nick Marshall was not a great passer. His threat of running opened up his passing lanes.

clenz
May 21st, 2014, 08:58 AM
It's also been discussed here before but it's worth noting that teams that rely on FBS transfers don't win titles in the FCS.

2013 NDSU - 10 transfers on roster no FBS transfers...Minnesota State-Moorhead, Grand Canyon, Valley City State x2, Nebraska-Omaha (after they dropped the program), West Hills College, Minnesota-Crookston, Bemidji State x2, NDSCS

2012 NDSU - 10 transfers on roster no FBS transfers...Northern Iowa (followed coach as grad student), NDSCS x2, Nebraska-Omaha (after UNO dropped program), Hutchinson CC, Valley City State x2, West Hills, Bemidji State x2

2011 NDSU - looks just like 2012

2010 EWU - 5 transfers...2 FBS Bakersfield College, College of Siskiyous, Idaho (didn't play), SMU (probably the one exception here), Modesto JC. This may be the one exception I've found so far with Bo Levi Mitchell. However, the rest of the team as all HS recruited kids for the system

Nickels
May 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Something to note. A lot of D1 players come out of Texas (most in the country) and Louisiana (most per capita). When these players don't make it at the FBS level, they will transfer, usually closer to home. SLC schools will always have more transfers because of this.

Daytripper
May 21st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Something to note. A lot of D1 players come out of Texas (most in the country) and Louisiana (most per capita). When these players don't make it at the FBS level, they will transfer, usually closer to home. SLC schools will always have more transfers because of this.

Stop with the logic....

FormerPokeCenter
May 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
Good Lord....the kid's still in Manhattan, Kansas...Who knows where he'll end up. His uncle was a helluva player for McNeese. I wish the kid well wherever he goes...

Jantzen Jackson was an Honorable Mention All SEC selection as a freshman at Tennessee, but didn't actually start for us the following year, despite being a McNeese legacy player who grew up in the field house. Let's let the kid enroll someplace, go through practice and see what he does on the field before we start evaluating him?

This is why we can't have nice things!!!

McNeese72
May 22nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I use to say that about our "wildkat" guy also. Sams is very much like Richard Sincere perhaps Sams is a better athlete and surely a better QB, I don't know. What I do know is that when a team becomes one dimensional, good teams figure it out a plan to stop it. There is a reason K-State was the only school to offer QB to Sams. Once they figured out their mistake and tried to move him, he wanted out. Sure he won all Big XII whatever but it wasn't because of his passing ability. Sams even shared the QB role at the high school level as the wild kat guy and he has never been the man who took all the snaps at QB. Like Sincere, Sams will win McNeese games single handedly but it won't be his arm that does it. Heck he may even get McNeese past the first game in the playoffs but when that team shows up and shuts down the running game,

First, nothing is certain that he is even coming to McNeese. Just a lot of rumors from different sources. If he enrolls and starts attending classes on June 9th, I'll believe it for sure.

As far as the bolded part of the quote of your post, that is slightly incorrect. KSU wasn't wanting to move him from QB. From the his interviews that I have heard and read, he realized that he was going to be the backup QB next season. He wants to be on the field so he went to the head coach and requested a position change to WR. The head coach wasn't really wanting to do it and suggested maybe RB instead. Sams didn't want to change to RB because he didn't think his frame could take the punishment over a season that a RB endures. So, in the spring they let him have a try at WR. He wasn't picking up the techniques for WR very well. In their Spring Game he was 3rd on the depth chart.

Also, one of his aunts had passed away and his grandmother, who he is very close to, was making comments about him coming back closer to home. So, he finally decided to transfer to be closer to his family and to have a chance to play QB again.

Nothing is for certain right now. And, whatever decision the young man makes, I wish him well where ever he ends up. From listening to and reading his interviews, he has good things to say about Kansas St. and looks to have a good head on his shoulders.

McTailGator
May 28th, 2014, 10:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10998537/former-kansas-state-quarterback-daniel-sams-transferring-mcneese-state

Nickels
May 29th, 2014, 12:44 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10998537/former-kansas-state-quarterback-daniel-sams-transferring-mcneese-state
WE KNOW. You started another thread moron.