PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Playoff Teams Now?

Go Apps
October 23rd, 2006, 05:22 AM
Tell me your 16 Teams and Seeds...

Go Apps
October 23rd, 2006, 05:26 AM
ASU
Furman
Montana
Ill State
MASS
JMU
N. Iowa
E. Illinois
Maine
Port St
Coastal
Hampton
Sam Houst St
Young St
NH
Cal Poly

Torero Tradition
October 23rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
San Diego at Montana, 1st Round

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
ASU
Furman
Montana
Ill State
MASS
JMU
N. Iowa
E. Illinois
Maine
Port St
Coastal
Hampton
Sam Houst St
Young St
NH
Cal Poly

Looks pretty good except you'll have to bump one of your at large teams for the Patriot League champ autobid winner...

AppGuy04
October 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
and after this weekend, looks like South Carolina St will be the MEAC autobid and Hampton will take an at large

LeopardFan04
October 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
I'll play too...

Here's my 16, not really in any order...

App. St.
Montana
Ill. St.
UMass
JMU
N. Iowa
E. Illinois
Holy Cross
Sam Houston St.
Furman
Youngstown St.
Cal Poly
Richmond
Southern Illinois
S. Carolina St.
UNH

On the Bubble:
Hampton
San Diego
Portland St.
Maine
Coastal Carolina

nmatsen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:04 AM

NEVER

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM

If that would ever happen (which it won't) ...

* MONTANA 62, San Diego 13 *

griz37
October 23rd, 2006, 08:08 AM

We would absolutely love that!

shakdaddy3
October 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
i didn't know that there were bye weeks in the I-AA playoffs xlolx

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Can't believe I'm doing this, but guessing as of today...

Autos (*seed)
UMass *
Illinois State *
AppSt *
Montana *
Holy Cross
Sam Houston
Tenn Martin
Hampton

At-large
Furman
UNH
JMU
Maine
UNI
YSU
CalPoly
Delaware State

Cocky
October 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
What happens if UT-Martin and Tennessee State both finish undefeated in the OVC? Both may get a bid. I don't believe our conference deserves more than one this year, but this maybe a unique situation that gives multiple bids to the OVC.

OL FU
October 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM

Autos (*seed)
UMass *
Illinois State *
AppSt *
Montana *
Holy Cross
Sam Houston
Tenn Martin
Hampton

At-large
Furman
UNH
JMU
Maine
UNI
YSU
CalPoly
Delaware State

Coastal, instead of Del St.

Still not sure A-10 will get four teams but that is mainly because I don't know who plays who the rest of the way. But those four teams do look good.

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

Autos (*seed)
UMass *
Illinois State *
AppSt *
Montana *
Holy Cross
Sam Houston
Tenn Martin
Hampton

At-large
Furman
UNH
JMU
Maine
UNI
YSU
CalPoly
Delaware State

There's probablya better shot of UD scheduling Del St than there is of the MEAC getting two bids this year.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Still not sure A-10 will get four teams but that is mainly because I don't know who plays who the rest of the way. But those four teams do look good.
Last week Delaware and Northeastern really F'd things up for the A10. I actually would need a lot of help to get the three at-larges I picked... UMass, UNH and Maine all still play each other. With UNH and Maine both having two losses already, one of them is going to have to beat UMass and then lose to the other. :rotateh:

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
There's probablya better shot of UD scheduling Del St than there is of the MEAC getting two bids this year.
Not so sure. I'm obviously assuming DSU wins out giving Hampton the auto. A 9-2 MEAC is usually a pretty good bet, whether you or I agree with it. When picking the field, I do so based on what I think the Committee will do, not what I would do.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
What happens if UT-Martin and Tennessee State both finish undefeated in the OVC? Both may get a bid. I don't believe our conference deserves more than one this year, but this maybe a unique situation that is gives multiple bids to the OVC.
UT-M would be 8-0 in the OVC and TSU would only be 7-0. I'd have to believe that UT-M would get the auto and an 8-3 TSU would sit at home. :twocents:

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Not so sure. I'm obviously assuming DSU wins out giving Hampton the auto. A 9-2 MEAC is usually a pretty good bet, whether you or I agree with it. When picking the field, I do so based on what I think the Committee will do, not what I would do.

South Carolina St was 9-2 just last year... but didn't get a bid.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
9-2 usually means at-large bid, provided that you didn't win your conference. Committee picks the 9-2 teams and the best 8-3 teams.

JMUfan2008
October 23rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Last week Delaware and Northeastern really F'd things up for the A10. I actually would need a lot of help to get the three at-larges I picked... UMass, UNH and Maine all still play each other. With UNH and Maine both having two losses already, one of them is going to have to beat UMass and then lose to the other. :rotateh:

please someone beat UMass....my ideal world: UNH and Maine beat UMass, UNH beats Maine...this isn't gonna happen, but it'd be pretty cool

HensRock
October 23rd, 2006, 08:46 AM

Here's a scenario:
9-2 DSU goes to the playoffs
8-3 UD sits home.

What 1 game will we have to thank for that?

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Here's a scenario:
8-3 UD sits home.

Albany St... but I know you mean good ole West Chester

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Should have added to my 9-2 statement -- 9-2 teams in conferences with automatic bids. San Diego going 9-2 is like a scholarship I-AA going .500

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Here's a scenario:
8-3 UD sits home.
Nah. IF UD were to get to 8-3 (I don't see it happening BTW), they are a mortal lock to get an at-large. Six wins to finish the season which would include wins over ranked Richmond, Towson and JMU.

BTW, if the Hens were to magically win the next three, you know Villanova would beat us just to F with us. :bang:

VictorG
October 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM

Agreed! Not that it will happen but when would that game be? Gotta start looking for the long range weather forecast! Of course, 40 degrees would be absolutely freezing for them!:D

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
South Carolina St was 9-2 just last year... but didn't get a bid.
You are correct, my mistake. I was thinking back to B-CC in 2003 when they got a bid quite out of the blue IMO. I still wouldn't be surprised to see DSU get one if they went 9-2.

HensRock
October 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM

If we had beat Albany we could be 9-2 and the point is moot.
I already accounted for the Albany loss in the 8-3 record. That in itself is not enough to prevent an 8-3 Delaware from going to the dance. There is only 1 thing that could possible prevent 8-3 UD from a playoff berth and that is the fact that 1 of those 8 will be against a D-II opponent.

Now...let's see... Who could we have replaced WCUPA with on the schedule to prevent this scenario from playing out? hmmmmm......

HensRock
October 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
UT-M would be 8-0 in the OVC and TSU would only be 7-0. I'd have to believe that UT-M would get the auto and an 8-3 TSU would sit at home. :twocents:

How could UTM be 8-0 in the OVC if they don't play TSU?
It's a 9 team league?

Why don't these two play each other anyway?

A full round-robin schedule IS A REQUIREMENT for a conference to receive an automatic bid to the playoffs unless they have an alternate schedule pre-approved by the playoff selection committee (like the A10 does).

Why do all the other teams in the OVC play a full 8/3 (conf/ooc) format, while TSU and UTM do not meet?

CCU97
October 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
9-2 usually means at-large bid, provided that you didn't win your conference. Committee picks the 9-2 teams and the best 8-3 teams.

Not even close....the past two years Coastal has been 10-1 and then 9-2 last year and didn't make it in....come up with a better argument.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Not even close....the past two years Coastal has been 10-1 and then 9-2 last year and didn't make it in....come up with a better argument.

CCU97 please read my more recent post that was posted before you posted about CCU. The one about 9-2 teams in conferences with autobids.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:47 AM
How could UTM be 8-0 in the OVC if they don't play TSU?
It's a 9 team league?

Why don't these two play each other anyway?
:bang: Need more coffee. Yes, UT-M would also be 7-0. TSU has an agreement with the OVC to allow them only 7 conference games so they can play in all their classics. I think the team they don't play rotates through the conference. But I still hope TSU gets it stuck to them because they get this exception.

HensRock
October 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
:bang: Need more coffee. Yes, UT-M would also be 7-0. TSU has an agreement with the OVC to allow them only 7 conference games so they can play in all their classics. I think the team they don't play rotates through the conference. But I still hope TSU gets it stuck to them because they get this exception.

Why don't they just play 12 games?

Apparently the OVC does not have a problem with that (see EIU)

http://www.eiu.edu/~sprtinfo/sports/football/schedule.htm

HIU 93
October 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
and after this weekend, looks like South Carolina St will be the MEAC autobid and Hampton will take an at large

How do you figure?

AppGuy04
October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
How do you figure?

if you both win out, SCSU takes the autobid

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Auto-bids
UMass
Montana
Illinois State
Hampton
UT-Martin
Holy Cross
App State
SHSU

At-large
New Hampshire (9-2) #
SIU (8-3) #
UNI (8-3)
EIU (8-4)
Furman (8-3) *
Richmond (9-2) #
Montana State (7-4) #
Coastal Carolina (8-3)

Eligible, but not selected
Youngstown State (8-3) *
Delaware State (8-3) *
FAMU (7-4)
Towson State (7-4)
JMU (8-3) *

* Has D-II win
# Has I-A win

It is really starting to get interesting, especially with the upsets last weekend. The committee will have many things to look at. You may scoff at me for selecting Montana State over 8 win teams (YSU, DSU, and JMU), but in reality, all four of those teams have identical D-I records (7-3). How much the committee will value I-A wins and D-II losses is unknown to me. If Montana State gets passed over at 7-4 for a 7-3 (D-I) JMU or YSU, then we will know that a D-II loss is a killer.

CCU can cement it's bid by winning out and finishing 9-2, which now looks more likely.

bandl
October 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Auto-bids

New Hampshire
Montana
Illinois State
Hampton
UT-Martin
Holy Cross
App State
SHSU

At-large
UMass (9-2)
SIU (8-3) #
UNI (8-3)
EIU (8-4)
Furman (8-3) *
Richmond (9-2) #
Montana State (7-4) #
Coastal Carolina (8-3)

Youngstown State (8-3) *
Delaware State (8-3) *
FAMU (7-4)
Towson State (7-4)
JMU (8-3) *

* Has D-II win
# Has I-A win

It is really starting to get interesting, especially with the upsets last weekend. The committee will have many things to look at. You may scoff at me for selecting Montana State over 8 win teams (YSU, DSU, and JMU), but in reality, all four of those teams have identical D-I records (7-3). How much the committee will value I-A wins and D-II losses is unknown to me. If Montana State gets passed over at 7-4 for a 7-3 (D-I) JMU or YSU, then we will know that a D-II loss is a killer.

CCU can cement it's bid by winning out and finishing 9-2, which now looks more likely.

UNH winning the A-10 title over UMass??? UMass has a 2-game lead on them in the conference standings right now, and UNH is quickly proving, IMO, that they are not the cream of the crop anymore.

Who do you have JMU losing 2 more games to?? :confused:

rcny46
October 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think I can go along with UNH getting the auto bid in the A-10.They better get their act together or an at large ticket might be out of reach.

gobucknell06
October 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Here's my best effort:

AUTOMATIC
1. UMASS
2. MONTANA
3. ILLINOIS ST.
4. SC ST
5. E. ILLINOIS
6. HOLY CROSS
7. APPLACHAIN ST
8. SAM HOUSTON ST

AT-LARGE
1. JMU
2. NEW HAMPSHIRE
3. N. IOWA
4. CAL POLY
5. FURMAN
6. YOUNGSTOWN ST.
7. S. ILLINOIS
8. SAN DIEGO

Bubble: Maine, Portland St., Hampton, Coastal Carolina, Montana St., Towson

HIU 93
October 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
if you both win out, SCSU takes the autobid

I don't think it's automatic that either of us will win out. Personally, I think we will win out, and SCSU will lose at DSU this weekend. It is DSU's homecoming, and they are as motivated as I have seen them in years. They gave us hell up there, and if it weren't for a few mistakes on their part, we would have lost. I still think we will be the MEAC Champs and get the autobid.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
UNH winning the A-10 title over UMass??? UMass has a 2-game lead on them in the conference standings right now, and UNH is quickly proving, IMO, that they are not the cream of the crop anymore.

Who do you have JMU losing 2 more games to?? :confused:

You are right on the UMass/UNH issue - I will flip them.

JMU - I am predicting losses at Richmond, and at Towson. Win one of those (and not slip up against UD, Villanova), and you make the cut.

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM

To nitpick, if you don't mind: Albany State is a D-II school in Georgia. The school UD lost to is the University at Albany, State University of New York--"UAlbany" or simply "Albany."

Anyway, it's worth keeping in mind that DSU has a D-II game on its schedule, too (still to be played, I believe). If the Hornets win out, they'll have eight D-I wins, putting them squarely on the bubble and, IMHO, on the outside looking in. I think their only way in is with the auto-bid.

Umass74
October 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
JMU - I am predicting losses at Richmond, and at Towson. Win one of those (and not slip up against UD, Villanova or Bill and Mary), and you make the cut.

With two league losses, Richmond must win out.

But I've seen Towson play in person and unless JMU has a major loss of concentration, I can't see them loosing to the Tigers.

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
You are right on the UMass/UNH issue - I will flip them.

JMU - I am predicting losses at Richmond, and at Towson. Win one of those (and not slip up against UD, Villanova or Bill and Mary), and you make the cut.

No way JMU loses to Towson. Losing to UD would be much more likely, IMHO. And it's already too late for JMU to slip up against Bill and Mary, since they played and beat the Tribe this weekend.

bandl
October 23rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
No way JMU loses to Towson. Losing to UD would be much more likely, IMHO. And it's already too late for JMU to slip up against Bill and Mary, since they played and beat the Tribe this weekend.
I agree...JMU will not lose that game, ESPECIALLY given the fact that it is the last game of the season when so much could be riding on a win. JMU could be looking to get a seed in the playoffs...or on the opposite side of the spectrum, they could be playing for their playoffs lives.

Has anyone broken Omar Cuff's legs yet???? Seriously, this needs to happen before the JMU/UD game!!!! :mad: ;)

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
With two league losses, Richmond must win out.

I think Richmond could lose one more and still have a legitimate shot. They'd certainly be on the bubble, but I imagine they'd be one of the stronger 8-3 teams nationally. Personally, I think Maine is the A-10 team that most bears the win-out burden. You can't just look at a team's conference finish; you have to look at the overall resume.

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think Richmond could lose one more and still have a legitimate shot. They'd certainly be on the bubble, but I imagine they'd be one of the stronger 8-3 teams nationally. Personally, I think Maine is the A-10 team that most bears the win-out burden. You can't just look at a team's conference finish; you have to look at the overall resume.

If Richmond loses to JMU, but then wins out to finish at 8-3, they would still be very much in the at-large bid mix.

SDFan
October 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Agreed! Not that it will happen but when would that game be? Gotta start looking for the long range weather forecast! Of course, 40 degrees would be absolutely freezing for them!:D

San Diego did just have a 37-0 win in 30 degree wether with freezing rain. 40 degrees would be relatively warm.

JMUfan2008
October 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
how is UNH getting put in over JMU? we have 1 loss to the #1 team at the start of the season....

BigApp
October 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

Hands off GRIZ!! We called dibs last week!:D

griz37
October 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM

You better open up a Phoenix campus then. We win the San Diego lottery due to regionalization. xlolx

San Diego might have played in 30 degree weather but it wasn't in front of a Montana playoff crowd.

ASU Kep
October 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

I personally am dreaming of an ASU/Coastal rematch in the first round, highly likely if both teams win out (which CCU should, and we will if we can beat the Vermin this weekend).

CCU97
October 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
I agree Kep...if we win out and actually make the playoffs...and you guys stay at #1 they would put us against each other...although we aren't as bad of a team as last year that went to Boone...I still think we would lose....but would be much closer.

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Auto-bids
UMass
Montana
Illinois State
Hampton
UT-Martin
Holy Cross
App State
SHSU

At-large
New Hampshire (9-2) #
SIU (8-3) #
UNI (8-3)
EIU (8-4)
Furman (8-3) *
Richmond (9-2) #
Montana State (7-4) #
Coastal Carolina (8-3)

Youngstown State (8-3) *
Delaware State (8-3) *
FAMU (7-4)
Towson State (7-4)
JMU (8-3) *

* Has D-II win
# Has I-A win

This doesn't serve logic, If UNH were to go 9-2, that would mean UMass would have lost, plus that would also mean that JMU would most likely lose to both UR and UDel, which would mean UDel would take the at large vice Richmond since they won the head to head.... good try though.....

MarkCCU
October 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
I personally am dreaming of an ASU/Coastal rematch in the first round, highly likely if both teams win out (which CCU should, and we will if we can beat the Vermin this weekend).

YES SIR! Wherever it's at, i'll be there. If it's in Boone, i hope to see some AGS'ers throwdown. if at CCU, we'll host. PROUDLY WIN OR LOSE!:thumbsup:

DTSpider
October 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

I don't see a 8-3 Richmond team making the playoffs unless there are some major upsets in the A10. 5-3 in-conference isn't that great and would be the 4th or 5th in line. I don't think that would cut it.

Richmond has to win out to have a chance IMO. Hopefully we'll figure out how to hold on to the football before Saturday.

DB_Atlantic10
October 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
I don't see a 8-3 Richmond team making the playoffs unless there are some major upsets in the A10. 5-3 in-conference isn't that great and would be the 4th or 5th in line. I don't think that would cut it.

Richmond has to win out to have a chance IMO. Hopefully we'll figure out how to hold on to the football before Saturday.

I think an 8-3 Richmond get's in...the OOC wins have more value....

barechestcat
October 23rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
So, if MSU wins their next two and then beats the Griz, who takes the hardest hit in the at large bids.

Another question. If MSU wins the next two and loses to the Griz, they end up 7-4. I really don't know the ruling on DII games as to the impact they have on playoffs. I also realize we got trounced by UC Davis. But, if we're 7-4 and PSU is 7-4 how do they get in over us with our head to head victory? Again, we both have I-A wins. And, I realize that the D-II and UC Davis debacle could play roles. Is this ultimately it in your scenarios for picking PSU?

Cocky
October 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Why don't they just play 12 games?

Apparently the OVC does not have a problem with that (see EIU)

http://www.eiu.edu/~sprtinfo/sports/football/schedule.htm

EIU played Hawaii at Hawaii, which is an exception to the rule and allows a 12th game. I'm sure someone else on the board know the exact rule.

catbob
October 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Losing to Chadron and getting pummelled by Davis ended are at-large chances. We win either one of those games and I think we have a legit shot at an at-large (assuming we only lose one of the next three).

I see that nobody thinks we can beat Montana. Just the way we like it.

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
Has anyone broken Omar Cuff's legs yet???? Seriously, this needs to happen before the JMU/UD game!!!! :mad: ;)

No... but he's had an ankle sprain that has kept him out (except for a few plays vs UR) the last three weeks.

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
catbob, I'm picking the Griz to beat MSU because Montana wants one of the top four playoff seeds, so they'll get a few playoff games at home (where they are very sucessful). No knock on the Cats, but IMO Montana wins that game and gets the top playoff seed. :twocents:

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Granted the Griz will be playing for a seed and the BSC title, but the Cats will be playing for their playoff lives, (and a BSC title). Who do you think is more motivated?

kirkblitz
October 23rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I agree Kep...if we win out and actually make the playoffs...and you guys stay at #1 they would put us against each other...although we aren't as bad of a team as last year that went to Boone...I still think we would lose....but would be much closer.

coastal will win the NC this year :D

griz37
October 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Losing to Chadron and getting pummelled by Davis ended are at-large chances. We win either one of those games and I think we have a legit shot at an at-large (assuming we only lose one of the next three).

I see that nobody thinks we can beat Montana. Just the way we like it.

Don't worry, the Griz fans know how capable the Cats are of beating the Griz. It makes me feel a lot better to know this game is in Missoula. Here's to both teams making it the next month w/o a loss.

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
walkon, you're dead-on about MSU's motivation to win that game in Missoula because it's pretty much all or nothing....win and go to the playoffs or lose and sit home.

Still the Griz are at home, and they have the possibility (who knows?) of being awarded 3 playoff home games. Montana is TOUGH at home and having those home playoff games could definitely help punch their ticket to Chattanoga.

Considering the motivation of both teams, it should be a whale of a game between the Griz and Cats! :nod:

Walkon79
October 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Again, just trying to keep this thread on page one. Could be really interesting down the stretch, across the country!!

bodoyle
October 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I agree kep. Every year I keep 40 paid hours off so when CCU makes the playoffs I can take time off and "travel with the team". I was unable to make it to boone in 04 but I will make it if we are playing you guys in the playoffs, but let's not put the horse before the wagon. Let's worry about winning this weekend first.

csuBUC06
October 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM
coastal will win the NC this year :D not if we have anything to say about it:nod: :nod: :nod:

OhioHen
October 25th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Here's a scenario:
8-3 UD sits home.

Home loss on 9/16. :twocents:

Not the one you're referring to, is it? IMHO, the loss hurts more than WINNING against WCU. The DII win doesn't count FOR the Hens, but the I-AA loss DOES count against them.