PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Game of the Week

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
3:30 at The ROCK Furman vs. ASU can be seen on Sportsouth.

Last seven games have been decided by a TD or less:

12/10/2005 29-23 W (semi-finals last year)
10/08/2005 31-34 L
10/09/2004 30-29 W
10/11/2003 13-10 W
10/12/2002 16-15 W (Miracle on the Mountain)
10/06/2001 22-28 L
10/07/2000 18-17 W

It just doesn't get better than this in 1-AA football.

A lot on the line this weekend in Boone:

1. 22 game home winning streak

2. Top 2 seed in the playoffs for ASU (if they win out)

3. 2 possibly even three home games for Furman (if they win out)

4. SoCon Championship

ASU could also break the attendance record again with Furman's help. Furman fans if you don't have your tickets what are you waiting on, by Wednesday there will likely be standing room only. Go here for tickets https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/Buy.asp?EventID=10304 .

CentDukesFan
October 22nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
not to dethrone your game of the week thread

but JMU - Richmond is of more consequence than the furman game

JMUfan2008
October 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
not to dethrone your game of the week thread

but JMU - Richmond is of more consequence than the furman game

I agree, but it's veeeery close. App State losing would mean ASU would definitely be out of #1 on everyones list.

AndrewFU21
October 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Game of the week- more like game of the year. It sucks that we are just a blocked extra point away from this being a #1 vs. #2 matchup, but it will be huge nonetheless. I can't wait to make the trip up to Boone, one of my favorite places to watch a football game and a beautiful place to spend a cool fall day. App is certainly the favorite, but if we can get Felton and Gray healthy, we will have a good shot.

Good luck Appies, here's to another classic:beerchug: :beerchug:

SirApp
October 22nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
I agree, but it's veeeery close. App State losing would mean ASU would definitely be out of #1 on everyones list.

There is a lot more on the line than just App's #1 ranking. The SoCon title is most on the line (assuming either team doesn't lose their final games, which I don't think will happen) and having home field advantage throughout the playoffs or most of the playoffs.

JMU-RU is a big game too, don't get me wrong....but this is a HUGE game. :twocents:

psc2445
October 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Game of the week- more like game of the year. It sucks that we are just a blocked extra point away from this being a #1 vs. #2 matchup, but it will be huge nonetheless. I can't wait to make the trip up to Boone, one of my favorite places to watch a football game and a beautiful place to spend a cool fall day. App is certainly the favorite, but if we can get Felton and Gray healthy, we will have a good shot.

Good luck Appies, here's to another classic:beerchug: :beerchug:

IT WOULD BE NICE FOR IT TO BE HYPED AS A 1 VS 2 MATCHUP BUT OH WELL. IT STILL IS THE GAME THIS WEEKEND. I EXPECT NOTHING LESS THAN A KNOCK DOWN DRAG OUT FIGHT TO BE DECIDED IN THE LAST MINUTES, CHECK THAT SECONDS! CAN'T WAIT TO GET UP THE HILL FOR THIS ONE. HOPE THE WEATHER COOPERATES(AROUND 50 WITH SOME SUNSHINE WOULD BE NICE) BECAUSE I KNOW THE GAME WILL BE. I PLAYED IN THE WCU RIVALRY GAMES BUT NOTHING GOT US PLAYERS MORE RILED UP THAN A MATCHUP WITH FU OR GSU WITH THE SOCON ON THE LINE. SAFE TRAVELS AND SEE YOU IN BOONE

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
There is a lot more on the line than just App's #1 ranking. The SoCon title is most on the line (assuming either team doesn't lose their final games, which I don't think will happen) and having home field advantage throughout the playoffs or most of the playoffs.

JMU-RU is a big game too, don't get me wrong....but this is a HUGE game. :twocents:

It's easy for each team's fans to say that their's is the most important, but from an objective standpoint, I think the ASU-FU game is a bigger game. The problem with the JMU-UR game is that the only real consequence is if UR loses. JMU loses, they can still get in the playoffs. Plus, the divided A-10 means that this isn't even about a conference title. It's a big game, but I'd have to agree that ASU-FU is bigger.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
I don't care who you are or what team you pull for, there is more than just a record riding on this game. This is for a WHOLE lot of pride on both sides. Furman had this game circled since day one. Both teams could be 1-7, it doesn't matter.

This series has some crazy happenings. Ingle Martin's slip on the two, William Freeman's blocked field goal at the buzzer, Richie William's 40-45 afternoon, the miracle on the mountain.

I can't think of anyone that has more to play for this week than the Furman Paladins. Time to show those boys we can win in Boone.

shakdaddy3
October 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
YSU-ILSU :)

SirApp
October 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Here's Ray's forecast for Saturday:

Intervals of clouds and sunshine; Quite brisk and chilly; High near 40 degrees; Low in the upper 20s

Just hoping we don't have horrible wind like the Terrier game.

This will definately be another barn-burner as always. The football gods love to make both sides sweat in the FU-ASU game.

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
YSU-ILSU :)

ISU vs. YSU would be second ahead of JMU vs. RU, both very excellent games with a lot of impact on the playoffs, but I'm actually shocked that there is a debate for this week.

#1 vs. #9 (at worst)

Semifinal Rematch

Conference Crown on the line

Last 7 games have been soooo close.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
gotta go with ASU-Furman. YSU-Il St is also of vast importance. We could be seeing IL St's first Gateway loss, or YSU going to the bubble after a great start.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
for that matter, isn't Richmond on the bubble with a loss?

redbirdtim
October 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
I vote App. St.-Furman as well. If YSU would have won, the approx. 3-5 matchup with the lead in the Gateway on the line would be the #1 game, but since that didn't happen, App. St.-Furman.

News is that the ISU-YSU game will be on Fox Sports Midwest.

mcveyrl
October 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
for that matter, isn't Richmond on the bubble with a loss?

Definitely. The only feather in their cap (which you can't do any more...W&M...) is a shutout at Duke.

Death Dealer
October 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I sure hope our boys put on a good show. I am not getting my hopes up though. If the everybody stays or gets healthy, and the offense that showed up in Chapel Hill comes to Boone, then we may have a chance.:nod: I love this rivalry. If my wife weren't due with our third child, I'd be there, screaming my balls off.

I'd love to meet some of you App fans, maybe next year.

shakdaddy3
October 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I vote App. St.-Furman as well. If YSU would have won, the approx. 3-5 matchup with the lead in the Gateway on the line would be the #1 game, but since that didn't happen, App. St.-Furman.

i agree... i was just throwing it out there.. both should be great!

HiHiYikas
October 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
If it's good enough to make a seminarian skip church, it's good enough to be the game of the week....

This is the only game I'm making the drive down from Richmond to see this year. Living 300-something miles from Boone, and working on Sunday mornings, I can't make the trip often as I'd like.

Of course, I thought I'd only see one game last season, too (before getting out to the Lafayette game and the NC game).

I've got Furman/seminary pals and ASU/seminary pals to catch up with, family to visit, and a new grill being shipped ahead of me to Boone. Ought to be a fun weekend and (as always) a conniption-inducing game for both squads.

BULLDOG8180
October 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
If my wife weren't due with our third child, I'd be there, screaming my balls off.

Might be a good thing that you can't be there. If you attended the third would definitely be your last! xlolx

JMUfan2008
October 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Might be a good thing that you can't be there. If you attended the third would definitely be your last! xlolx

hahaha...I was about to write "If you had screamed your balls off earlier you wouldn't be in this situation"

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
I vote App St. - Furman. Pulling for ASU so the SoCon will only get 1 playoff team :)

OL FU
October 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Last year in the game notes, Furman provided a nice summary of the many many many close games with ASU over the last 30 years or so. If they do again I will see if I can post or at least link to it.

KiddBrewer
October 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Rays Weather Center, Updated forcast for Black Saturday.....

Saturday - Mostly cloudy; Chance of light snow or snow showers; High in the mid 30s; Low in the upper 20s

ha this is gonna be fun.

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Can I make a case for CCU vs. Liberty? No? Ok, then give me Furman vs. Appy st...

Black Saturday
October 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
I sure hope our boys put on a good show. I am not getting my hopes up though. If the everybody stays or gets healthy, and the offense that showed up in Chapel Hill comes to Boone, then we may have a chance.:nod: I love this rivalry. If my wife weren't due with our third child, I'd be there, screaming my balls off.

I'd love to meet some of you App fans, maybe next year.

Too bad the defense you played in Chapel Hill will not be in Boone.

Black Saturday
October 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
I vote App St. - Furman. Pulling for ASU so the SoCon will only get 1 playoff team :)

This is a real possibility with Ga Southern improving each week. If APP beats FU then they have 3 losses with no room for losing again.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
If Furman loses and beats GSU and Elon, they will be in the playoffs no questions asked.

There has to be a major collapse in the SoCon to keep both FU and ASU out of the playoffs. About the only thing is for Furman to lose to ASU and to either GSU/Elon. Nearly every other senario would put two SoCon teams in the field of 16.

AppGuy04
October 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
If Furman loses and beats GSU and Elon, they will be in the playoffs no questions asked.

There has to be a major collapse in the SoCon to keep both FU and ASU out of the playoffs. About the only thing is for Furman to lose to ASU and to either GSU/Elon. Nearly every other senario would put two SoCon teams in the field of 16.

If Furman has 4 losses, they will be left out

SU Jag
October 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Furman vs App. State:nod:

goasu984Life
October 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I'll be there. Taking my wife to her first Appalachian Football game. And, it's gonna be cold, so it may be her last. She's not a big fan of the cold. We'll get a few drinks in her before the game. That'll warm her up.

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
So...who wins?