PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Game of the Week: Youngstown State @ Illinois State

FlyYtown
October 22nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Teams: Record: GFC Record
YSU: 6-2 [3-1]
ILSU: 6-1 [3-0]

YSU is going to be desperately needing a win; trying not to repeat last season of being on the bubble with 3 losses. That and the fact that this team was brought back to earth after this loss; is really the big reasons why ILSU should be worried about this game.

But in all honesty, its the Penguins who should be worrying. Illinois State is a team loaded with talent, which can be beat, but still has yet to be challenged at home this year; similar to YSU until the UNI game.

Luke Drones and Pierre Rembert will be big problems for a Penguin Defense which has allowed 58 points in the last 2 Gateway Games.. Marcus Mason of YSU has the slight edge over Rembert in rushing yards per game at 153 to 149 per game; as well as yards per carry with 6.5 vs. 5.1. Mason had another huge day vs. a UNI defense which was allowing just 98 yards per game on the ground each game.

So for the penguins sake, Mason could now do the same to this weeks #1 GFC Scoring Defense, which is averaging allowing just 108 yards per game...

Only way YSU can win this game is if: ZETTS can learn how to throw the ball. I think you throw his 4 interceptions out the window, YSU would've likely had one that UNI game; considering 2 of the interceptions were in the RED ZONE!

Right Now ILLINOIS ST. Has the edge in this game because they have a better offense and defense altogether and are at home.

ILSU- 28
YSU- 24
----I think whoever controls the tempo of the first half will win it----

umassfan
October 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
YSU going to lose two in a row?

FlyYtown
October 22nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
YSU going to lose two in a row?
See in the Gateway that can happen; donno bout that in the A-10; although New Hampshire is an example of it...

Can you say brutel stretch?

#14 UNI
#3 Illinois State
#13 Southern Illinois
Then Western Kentucky, likely to be ranked after they beat SIU..

umassfan
October 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
See in the Gateway that can happen; donno bout that in the A-10; although New Hampshire is an example of it...

Can you say brutel stretch?

#14 UNI
#3 Illinois State
#13 Southern Illinois
Then Western Kentucky, likely to be ranked after they beat SIU..
Will YSU even make the playoffs? Heck you have a great shot of losing all those games.

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
5 of 7 GFC teams are tough, tough games...no offense to either team but INS and MSU are and should be easy games...
FlyTown, Ill comment on this game as it gets closer...all I can say is EIU jumped out 10-0 on us, SIU controlled the 1st Quarter and lead 7-0, and 10-7, and WIU was up 14-3....we handled all of them... Hell SIU and WIU couldnt muster a 2nd half score...so dont put TOO much stock into the beginning of the game :)

FlyYtown
October 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
5 of 7 GFC teams are tough, tough games...no offense to either team but INS and MSU are and should be easy games...
FlyTown, Ill comment on this game as it gets closer...all I can say is EIU jumped out 10-0 on us, SIU controlled the 1st Quarter and lead 7-0, and 10-7, and WIU was up 14-3....we handled all of them... Hell SIU and WIU couldnt muster a 2nd half score...so dont put TOO much stock into the beginning of the game :)
That I did not know, but despite all that, I still think the First Half will be the tale of the game... like the UNI Game was.....

but could history be on the side of the Penguins???
In 1997:
Youngstown State LOST to Northern Iowa 35-32
next week:
Youngstown State BEAT Illinois State 13-0
next week:
Youngstown State BEAT Southern Illinois 34-10
then:
We went all the way to NOOOGA and beat McNeese State 10-9!!!

Interesting to see the same 3 game stretch in the season between 06 and 97..... Right now YSU is right on track with it, now lets keep it going with 2 more wins!!!

Let's hope that history can repeat itself this year!!!!!! GO PENGUINS

goguins444
October 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Are there any tickets avialable for this game at the illinois state ticket office or they sold out?

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Reserved Tix are sold out ,they will add general admin seats again and will probably sell those until the seams burst

goguins444
October 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Sorry but are the reserved tickets the chairbacks? thanks and general admission is just the benches or what? thanks.

goguins444
October 22nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Sorry but are the reserved tickets the chairbacks? general admission is just the benches or what? thanks. my bad for being retarted hah

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
No Chairbacks at all at Hancock Stadium...Reserved you cant see the ground between your feet, its all metal, general is like baseball bleachers...but GA will also mean the grass for this game too...its gonna be PACKED!!! Look at the bleachers in my sig pic, thats GA

redbirdtim
October 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Game is advertised as sold out ...but...not so fast my friend!...the beautiful thing about Hancock is that they can expand capacity quite easily and by a lot of seats. A sell-out is approx. 15,000 or so, but they have the ability to add 2-3k seats. I head it will be even more this weekend as they are taking out a space where they had a tent set up.

My advice, call the ticket office and see if you can get general admission seating. I'd hate to rely on this coming all the way from Ohio, but there were people selling tickets that they couldn't use...don't worry, only face value.

I hope a lot of Penguin fans come and join the crowd. SIU brought about 2,000, but expect a lot of those SIU fans to be replaced by Redbird family members as its family weekend at ISU.

All in all, if you come, they will find a way to get you in. Saying no to paying customers is not in our ADs vocab.

goguins444
October 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
alright thanks for all the info

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
My advice, call the ticket office and see if you can get general admission seating. I'd hate to rely on this coming all the way from Ohio, but there were people selling tickets that they couldn't use...don't worry, only face value.

Do what I did, have em send the tickets to you. I calles YSU asked for visitor section tix and had them mailed. I didn't want an will call confusion after 11-12 hrs of driving.

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
Ya 444, call em up, maybe they can make a special offer or area for the visitors from Youngstown..

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Will YSU even make the playoffs? Heck you have a great shot of losing all those games.

I'm sure UMass wouldn't want back-to-back-to-back-to-back games like that. The A-10 is tougher than a lot of I-AA conferences, but I would love to see an A-10 team play in the Gateway!

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Go Penguins...

bump!

umassfan
October 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm sure UMass wouldn't want back-to-back-to-back-to-back games like that. The A-10 is tougher than a lot of I-AA conferences, but I would love to see an A-10 team play in the Gateway!
If UMass played the Gateway schedule... they would bring something to the Gateway that no other team has.... Defense.

Chi Panther
October 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm glad one of the teams will have another loss after this game......:thumbsup:

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM
This is a must win game for YSU.

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
If UMass played the Gateway schedule... they would bring something to the Gateway that no other team has.... Defense.

ILS holds #7 SIU to 10 points and we dont play defense???

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
This is a must win game for YSU.

A 3rd loss COULD be costly with Slippery Rock as 1 of their wins...Now Im just putting that out there, I know Penn St, Maine, and UC Davis is a FINE NON-CONF schedule!! 8-3 last yr was no good for YSU

umassfan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
ILS holds #7 SIU to 10 points and we dont play defense???
Look at the scoring D national ranks. How many Gateway teams you see doing well?

crunifan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Look at the scoring D national ranks. How many Gateway teams you see doing well?

Looks like Maine's killer defense stopped Youngstown.

Imagine what UNI or Illinois State could do to the Bears.

umassfan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Looks like Maine's killer defense stopped Youngstown.

Imagine what UNI or Illinois State could do to the Bears.
Wasnt that Maines first game of the season? They have given up 17, 12, 22(to bc), 7, 7, 10.... since.

crunifan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Wasnt that Maines first game of the season? They have given up 17, 12, 22(to bc), 7, 7, 10.... since.

And with the amazingly difficult schedule of William and Mary, Shaw, Towson, Villanova, and Hofstra I'm soooo impressed.

I will get them credit for what appears to be a great effort against Boston College though!

umassfan
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
And with the amazingly difficult schedule of William and Mary, Shaw, Towson, Villanova, and Hofstra I'm soooo impressed.

I will get them credit for what appears to be a great effort against Boston College though!
I guess you expect every A10 team to play 11 I-A games now dont you?

FlyYtown
October 23rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Matt Dougherty of the SportsNetwork just said a YSU @ 8-3 puts them in, because:
1) Beat #15 Maine
2) Beat #16 UC-Davis
3) Would have to beat #3 Il. St. or #19 SIU....

So that be 3 ranked team wins... he says throw out Slippery Rock; considering most teams play a DII Team.... And they actually beat a DII Team, something UNI Can't say..

So if its 8-3 between YSU and UNI... YSU would likely get the spot, but lets hope all 3 get in!

October 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
simply put, YSU got the "Woofed Award" last year so if they 8-3 they are definitely IN the playoffs just like those before them... :nod:

crunifan
October 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Matt Dougherty of the SportsNetwork just said a YSU @ 8-3 puts them in, because:
1) Beat #15 Maine
2) Beat #16 UC-Davis
3) Would have to beat #3 Il. St. or #19 SIU....

So that be 3 ranked team wins... he says throw out Slippery Rock; considering most teams play a DII Team.... And they actually beat a DII Team, something UNI Can't say..

So if its 8-3 between YSU and UNI... YSU would likely get the spot, but lets hope all 3 get in!

I would say if it was between an 8-3 Youngstown and an 8-3 UNI, UNI would get it...we won the head to head match-up. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that though!

FlyYtown
October 24th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I would say if it was between an 8-3 Youngstown and an 8-3 UNI, UNI would get it...we won the head to head match-up. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that though!

Well that would only come to play in the Gateway matchup for the title...... So it likely will not happen..... but trust me: 8-3 with a DII Loss could be very costly for UNI..

GoGuins
October 24th, 2006, 05:44 AM
No need to argue, YSU most likely goes 7-4 with no playoffs. Not being negative, just realistic

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I figured all the YSU fans were jumping ship by now. Was sad to see so many fans leave before the game was even out of reach. UNI and YSU both need some big wins to keep playoff hopes alive. You guys can guestimate what the committee will do all you want, but auto bid is the only guarantee.

BillLuc1982
October 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I figured all the YSU fans were jumping ship by now. Was sad to see so many fans leave before the game was even out of reach. UNI and YSU both need some big wins to keep playoff hopes alive. You guys can guestimate what the committee will do all you want, but auto bid is the only guarantee.

Win out for YSU almost guarantees it. 9-2 in the Gateway, A-10, or SoCon and you're an at-large. Now, 8-3 would worry me a little. YSU barely missed going 8-3 last year. 9-2 with wins over ILSU, SIU, WKY, UCD, and Maine will get you in the playoffs, even with an at-large.

REALBird
October 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Well I hate to interrupt the UNI vs. YSU banter, but YSU has to win this weekend in Normal FIRST. Typically I would expect a letdown from a Denver Johnson team, but after the WKU game I think this team is going to fight until the clock hits 0:00.

I predicted ISU would win big vs. SIU, and they didn't disappoint. I predicted that we would seek our revenge on WIU for all the years they put it to us.....and we did.

Well this year...we owe Chilli-Willy for that 3 point loss on the road last year. This is the year of the Redbird BABY! I'm staying with my predictions.....ISU wins BIG at home.

After that....I think it's smooth sailing until we get to Cedar-Falls in the final week. I know the Panthers want to exact some revenge after last year.....but I think this is a Redbird team of destiny!

Go Birds!

crunifan
October 24th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Well that would only come to play in the Gateway matchup for the title...... So it likely will not happen..... but trust me: 8-3 with a DII Loss could be very costly for UNI..

Yeah, I definitely will agree with you. If we end up 8-3 I will not be comfortable until the playoff teams are picked.

Cap'n Cat
October 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Well I hate to interrupt the UNI vs. YSU banter, but YSU has to win this weekend in Normal FIRST. Typically I would expect a letdown from a Denver Johnson team, but after the WKU game I think this team is going to fight until the clock hits 0:00.

I predicted ISU would win big vs. SIU, and they didn't disappoint. I predicted that we would seek our revenge on WIU for all the years they put it to us.....and we did.

Well this year...we owe Chilli-Willy for that 3 point loss on the road last year. This is the year of the Redbird BABY! I'm staying with my predictions.....ISU wins BIG at home.

After that....I think it's smooth sailing until we get to Cedar-Falls in the final week. I know the Panthers want to exact some revenge after last year.....but I think this is a Redbird team of destiny!

Go Birds!

RealBird,
I don't feel the UNI people want to "extract" and sort of "revenge". We're not like many on Ytown. Our QB was out that game and the final score showed what can happen if you're limping badly on offense. Hats off to ILSU for taking it. But, no hard feelings.

Hoping UNI and ILSU win out and set up that big one in CF.

Cap'n Cat
October 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM
but trust me: 8-3 with a DII Loss could be very costly for UNI..

As we should have trusted your pregame analysis and prediction for the UNI/YSU game, Fly?

Come on.........

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Cap'n Cat
October 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
No need to argue, YSU most likely goes 7-4 with no playoffs. Not being negative, just realistic

I think you're right, GG.

Please tell your friends at ysupenguins.com that, if this happens, to not whine all year about it!

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I think you're right, GG.

Please tell your friends at ysupenguins.com that, if this happens, to not whine all year about it!

Penguin fans never whine. :nod:

FlyYtown
October 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
If we lose 2 more, its ILSU and WKU... I think SIU has just lost it, I think we will win big at home, since its Senior Day..... I still think we can beat ILSU; but its going to be mighty tough. Since last year and our 3 point win, I've said this year, this will be our loss on the season.... I am sticking with it.

Right now my head says: 28-24 ILSU.
My Heart: 31-28 YSU! LOL.....

And about 8-3 for UNI; sure you got your 8 D1A Wins, but would have a DII loss which could be the devastating thing.. Hey I am only pointing out what Matt Doughtery was saying....

Cap'n Cat
October 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
If we lose 2 more, its ILSU and WKU... I think SIU has just lost it, I think we will win big at home, since its Senior Day..... I still think we can beat ILSU; but its going to be mighty tough. Since last year and our 3 point win, I've said this year, this will be our loss on the season.... I am sticking with it.

Right now my head says: 28-24 ILSU.
My Heart: 31-28 YSU! LOL.....

And about 8-3 for UNI; sure you got your 8 D1A Wins, but would have a DII loss which could be the devastating thing.. Hey I am only pointing out what Matt Doughtery was saying....

Is he, somehow, God?

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

The guy picked Youngstown to beat UNI.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM
predictions give you YSU in the playoffs in 2005. We all know how that went.

FlyYtown
October 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Why am I even predicting 8-3? We are 6-2 and #10 in the nation!!! DERRR

We still can finish 9-2... It's not like we were completly dominated by UNI although they really did kick our ass all night on defense...

We somehow win that game or lose it 31-29... I think people would still have some faith.. It was just a devastating blow to a team that was riding on high..

These players will do everything in their power to make sure they are not 8-3.... that is from a player who I talked with yesterday..

shakdaddy3
October 25th, 2006, 08:45 AM
is it Saturday yet? No? DAMN :mad:

this is going to be a heckuva game... could have more people than the SIU game...

Redbirds are fighting to help lock up a playoff spot (a win puts them @ 7-1 with games against MSU, InSU, and UNI left which basically means 9-1 with UNI left) and a win takes them a step closer to the covetted gateway championship.

YSU is fighting for their playoff lives; also, they are fighting to make sure their playoff wishes don't have to rely too much on a committee that woofed them last year with an 8-3 record. Following ILSU they have tough games vs. SIU and @ WKU.

I have to give the edge to the home team wanting major revenge... GO BIRDS! :hurray:

any YSU fans making the trip?

GoGuins
October 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM
is it Saturday yet? No? DAMN :mad:

this is going to be a heckuva game... could have more people than the SIU game...

Redbirds are fighting to help lock up a playoff spot (a win puts them @ 7-1 with games against MSU, InSU, and UNI left which basically means 9-1 with UNI left) and a win takes them a step closer to the covetted gateway championship.

YSU is fighting for their playoff lives; also, they are fighting to make sure their playoff wishes don't have to rely too much on a committee that woofed them last year with an 8-3 record. Following ILSU they have tough games vs. SIU and @ WKU.

I have to give the edge to the home team wanting major revenge... GO BIRDS! :hurray:

any YSU fans making the trip?

I made the trip to Normal in 2000, what a long drive that was.

YSU loses a close one 31-28, they just can't win the big games and until they do, I have no confidence in them.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM
YSU loses a close one 31-28, they just can't win the big games and until they do, I have no confidence in them.

Then why are you predicting the win?

BillLuc1982
October 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
YSU will be hot coming off a loss. However, we can't turn the ball over!

I hope I'm wrong, but I gotta give the edge to the home team.

ILLINOIS STATE 34
Youngstown State 24

GoGuins
October 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Then why are you predicting the win?

Where did I do that at?

shakdaddy3
October 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/10/25/sports/doc453ed2b5d12d7983598799.txt

nice little article from the pantagraph about both RBs... enjoy! :rotateh:

GoGuins
October 25th, 2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/10/25/sports/doc453ed2b5d12d7983598799.txt

nice little article from the pantagraph about both RBs... enjoy! :rotateh:

Thanks for the article, was sad to see Rembert leave Michigan, but he wasn't getting the carries behind Hart & Martin (now at Alabama). I remember in the 2004 Michigan-MSU game (3 OT thriller), Hart was injured near the end & Rembert had a few key carries that kept drives alive.

Game is being televised LIVE here in Ytown @ 2:30 EST on Ytown local station Channel 21 (NBC)

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Where did I do that at?

I looked at the score...didn't read the whole thing close enough. :cool:

FlyYtown
October 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Go Penguins!!!!!

http://wfmj.images.worldnow.com/ads/61114_AM.jpg

Johnny5
October 25th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I am giving the nod to the home team on this one, simply because the Redbirds are that good. Unfortunately, for YSU to win this one Tommy Zetts needs to show he can handle the BIG GAME pressure. The Penguins should be fired up coming off of the loss to UNI, but until we have consistency under center we will not beat a team like ISU.

FlyYtown
October 25th, 2006, 09:57 PM
YSU with turnovers and the lack of a passing game:
ILSU: 31
YSU: 21

YSU with a passing game, but a few turnovers:
ILSU: 28
YSU-24

YSU with a passing game, Mason showing why he is #2 in I-AA; and no turnovers:
YSU- 31
ILSU- 28

Right now I am picking the middle prediction; YSU will have to play a perfect game to win in Normal. Remember: the last 3 in Normal have been decided by 7 points or less, and thats with the good and bad teams....

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM
ILS 33
YSU 14

Why Not? We have outscored our opponents 100-43 at home which is an average of 19 a game, so ILS wins by 19

FlyYtown
October 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Hey, again not to beat a dead horse, but YSU was outscoring their opponents at home: 178 to 76... and we lost 31-23.

Just ask a YSU fan, playing at home with great stats will not ALWAYS get it done.. Hopefully the Penguins have something in store for these birds.

NOTE: The last time YSU won on the road vs. a ranked team was way back in 99: @ MONTANA; where I believe it was sold out then too.

YSU needs to erase all these streaks and just WIN.
GO PENGUINS!!!!

ISUMatt
October 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, again not to beat a dead horse, but YSU was outscoring their opponents at home: 178 to 76... and we lost 31-23.

Thats right YOU lost, ILS answers the bell on Family Day and wins!!! Sorry FLYTown, its Illinois States' time to shine for a freaking change :D

BTW thats just my prediction based on the averages...I do think the game will be closer than 19...maybe 18 xlolx

Lighten up and have some fun!!!

ysubigred
October 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Why am I even predicting 8-3? We are 6-2 and #10 in the nation!!! DERRR

We still can finish 9-2... It's not like we were completly dominated by UNI although they really did kick our ass all night on defense...

We somehow win that game or lose it 31-29... I think people would still have some faith.. It was just a devastating blow to a team that was riding on high..

These players will do everything in their power to make sure they are not 8-3.... that is from a player who I talked with yesterday..

:nonono2: :confused: :eek:

After the "O" loses the ball 5 time to UNI and the "D" creats 3 turn overs I'd say the YSU "D" was the only thing that did not get a ass kicking against UNI. If the Guins had some "O" other than Mason right, Mason left and Mason up the middle then We might have won 32-31 :bang: :bang: :bang:

Oh I forgot Home team by 17. The "O" looks like normal (3 and out or turn over) and the "D" on the field way to long as usual trying to make something happen :nonono2:

GoGuins
October 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Does Denver still wear the red boots?

shakdaddy3
October 27th, 2006, 09:06 AM
by Matt Dougherty

No. 10 Youngstown State (6-2, 3-1) at No. 3 Illinois State (6-1, 3-0), 2:37
Illinois State had to love seeing the scores go by on Saturday. They watched high-ranked teams like New Hampshire and Cal Poly lose, and the teams ahead of them in the top 25, Appalachian State and Montana, just scrape by in their games. All the while the Redbirds were winning impressively again, as they earned their third straight win in a tough stretch by knocking off Western Illinois, 27-14. The Redbirds gained 243 yards on the ground in that game, as Pierre Rembert (1042 yards, 9 TD) kept his workhorse season going by gaining 230 yards and two touchdowns. Quarterback Luke Drone had another good day with 14-of-20 passing for 179 yards, and he has only tossed 15 incomplete passes in the last three weeks as the Redbirds emerged as an elite team with wins against a tough Gateway stretch of Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois and Western Illinois. Drone has 1,591 yards with 13 touchdowns and only three interceptions this season, and the Redbirds have used a balanced offense to put points on the board. They are racking up 174 yards per game on the ground and 227 through the air to place 10th nationally in total offense (401.6 yards), and have turned that into 30.3 ppg. The defense endured a couple of bad games early in the season, but the Redbirds have only allowed 23 points in the last two weeks and have a two of I-AA’s best linebackers in Cameron Siskowic (83 TT) and Kye Stewart (77 TT). Illinois State is just one point away from a perfect record, and a team that was simply looking for its playoff berth since 1999 can now focus on finishing strong and maybe getting a seed in the playoffs with only two demanding games left on the schedule.

One of those tough games comes this weekend, but Youngstown State will have to play much crisper than it did a week ago to make this game live up to the hype. The Penguins moved the ball with 400 yards in a 31-23 loss to Northern Iowa, but they turned it over five times as the Panthers escaped Youngstown with another victory. Running back Marcus Mason (1071 yards, 15 TD) continued his ascent into becoming one of the top running backs in I-AA by racking up 172 yards and three touchdowns, but quarterback Tom Zetts threw four interceptions in the second half to keep the Penguins from making a late comeback. He’ll obviously have to post a much better effort this week to score on the Redbirds. Illinois State only gives up 3.4 yards per carry on the ground, though Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky did get to the Redbirds with their marquee backs. But even if Mason can go wild again, the Penguins will need Zetts to provide a balanced threat against a good defense. The Redbirds have given up 1,461 yards through the air, but they have been able to create turnovers with 12 interceptions. Zetts (1,171 yards, 9 TD, 8 INT) only had four picks before last week, so he’ll need to get back to sound football and produce for an offense that does most of its damage on the ground. He might need to put up numbers in the high 20s or low 30s, because the Youngstown State defense could have its hands full against the potent Redbird offense. The Penguins are giving up 155 rushing yards per game and nearly 4.5 yards per carry, and a passing defense that was expected to be a strength of the team has allowed 61 percent of passes to be completed and 214.4 yards per game. They have been able to force 17 turnovers, but might not be able to make a ton of big plays against a team that has only given it up six times.

Youngstown State could have been in the same position as Illinois State if it had won last week, but instead the Penguins come in at 6-2 with a very tough schedule to earn their first playoff berth since 2000. But I actually think the Penguins will play better off a loss, instead of having a letdown after a win. They need to win this game, and will come out ready to offer a strong effort. That just doesn’t mean they’ll win. Illinois State has a blown lead in last year’s 20-17 loss to the Penguins to remember, especially since that game helped keep the Redbirds out of the postseason. More importantly, this team is just very good. Winning a fourth tough game in a row will be a tall task, but the Redbirds are an elite team, and elite teams win big games at home. Illinois State survives a barnburner to solidify its spot in the Gateway Conference and national picture. Prediction: Illinois State 31, Youngstown State 28

GoGuins
October 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM
by Matt Dougherty
Prediction: Illinois State 31, Youngstown State 28

That's what I predicted, YSU will have to play error free to win.

ysubigred
October 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I'll say Error free won't get it done. Error free plus 4 qtrs of good football will need to be in order. Up to this point in the few error free games we played we've only had about 2 good qtrs of "O" and "D" production per game :nonono2: If we fall behind early or go up a few points and try to coast ISU will win. But I'M STILL STICKING TO THE HOME TEAM BY 17 :bawling:

ISUMatt
October 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
HEY YSU, whatever the outcome, you win, we win, lets hope all our players make it through injury free!!! good Luck tomorrow fellas...should be a classic!!

D1B
October 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Dougherty is high. Isu by 17. Youngstown is a paper tiger.

ysubigred
October 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
HEY YSU, whatever the outcome, you win, we win, lets hope all our players make it through injury free!!! good Luck tomorrow fellas...should be a classic!!

Great post Matt!! Sometimes we forget about these young men's health xsmileyclapx

FlyYtown
October 27th, 2006, 10:45 PM
D1B.. You've always hated YSU... Maybe because YSU Blew out Liberty over the last few years, hence: we didn't want to play a weak team on our schedule which could've cost us a playoff spot.

I am 100% supportive of these players and of the Penguins, while others on here like to predict for ILSU which is fine, but for all the wrong reasons.. Such as blaming it all on Jon Heacock.

I will say this: if YSU comes out and either scores on the first drive, or can hold this powerful ILSU Offense; this game will be a barnburner.

If Zetts can lead this team like he is capable of doing, some people may be surprised tomorrow... I feel very confident in this team after a loss; because they can only learn and the coaches would've been on their ass all week... If they had won, they would've came to Normal thinking they were invincible.....

ILSU: 28-24
But my heart and half my brain says: YSU 30 ILSU 24

PantherRob82
October 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure I care who wins this game anymore. A YSU win and a UNI win give us sole posession of first place, but if UNI and Il St win out, Nov 18th sure would be fun.

Daved
October 30th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Dougherty is high. Isu by 17. Youngstown is a paper tiger.
Yeah we're paper tigers and you're a 1-AA expert!