PDA

View Full Version : What Will MplsBison Compain About Now?

aces1180
May 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM
This is great news for NDSU Athletics.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/434000/group/homepage/

Professor Chaos
May 6th, 2014, 04:06 PM
NDSU athletics to go before Board of Higher Ed seeking approval for bubble facility (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/434000/)

What for the longest time seemed like a mile away is now only a couple steps from fruition. The North Dakota State athletic department will go before the North Dakota state Board of Higher Education on Friday seeking approval for an indoor bubble facility.

The school is seeking authorization for $380,000 that would cover Dacotah Field from late fall until spring. Built by Arizon Structures out of St. Louis, it is designed to go up and be taken down with a lifespan of 15 to 20 years.
Moreover, it would maintain NDSU’s place in the college football facility arms race.

“It will help us a bunch in recruiting as far as being able to show a kid when he comes to campus in December and January that this is what we use when we’re indoors,” said NDSU head coach Chris Klieman. “Every school has it now.”

It will solve spring football issues when the weather is not cooperating and the Fargodome is booked.

Taylor said the technology of a bubble structure has improved in recent years, especially in the ease of putting it up and taking it down. The company says its structures can withstand 150 mph winds and snow accumulation of 50 pounds per square foot. Backup generators are included to ensure the inflation of the fabric, the company said.

So what will Mpls find to complain about now? My guesses is we'll get to hear claims about this being a cheap alternative to what should be a permanent IPF.

In any case have it here sir so you can stop derailing the SDSU facilities threads.

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Next target?

Probably the Dome is too small and we need to get a bigger one and how we're trash because we aren't FBS.

Professor Chaos
May 6th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Duplicate thread, feel free to merge it into aces' thread.

aces1180
May 6th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Duplicate thread, feel free to merge it into aces' thread.

LOL...I like your thread better!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM
The font used on the press releases...

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 04:21 PM
The font used on the press releases...

You can't say that, he already has done that!

Also, here's the costs....

"The $380,000 mentioned in the article is only for construction to support the bubble.

The bubble and related items cost $1,525,000. The total cost will be $1,905,000

The quote below is from the SBHE agenda."

Thanks to Roadwarrior from Bville.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM
LOL...I like your thread better!

Merged and used his title for ya. xlolx

centennial
May 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Mpls will blame everyone that NDSU does not have this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSlBX32jx0

JSUBison
May 6th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Next target?

Probably the Dome is too small and we need to get a bigger one and how we're trash because we aren't FBS.

Chances of that are "strong". "Man", he's persistent!

RichH2
May 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Toomuch overthinking. First itemhe willcomplain about is this thread :)

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Toomuch overthinking. First itemhe willcomplain about is this thread :)

Nah man, that'd be too meta for him.

caribbeanhen
May 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Hello to my favorite Fcs fanbase. Is winter showing any weakness up there in Farawaygo? I'm saving up some good one for you guys for next years 4 peat run

centennial
May 6th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Hello to my favorite Fcs fanbase. Is winter showing any weakness up there in Farawaygo? I'm saving up some good one for you guys for next years 4 peat run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IQnYId2OTg
We are looking good but mpls thinks we will lose lots of games. Our QB is a concern, some places we don't have enough depth otherwise I think we have a shot at a fourpeat.

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM
...do we seriously have that damn song for our Spring game montage....Damn it.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Wait wait. Let me guess..

Not a true IPF in the traditional sense.

Ellig track is still to short/not banked.

superman7515
May 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Taylor said the technology of a bubble structure has improved in recent years, especially in the ease of putting it up and taking it down. The company says its structures can withstand 150 mph winds and snow accumulation of 50 pounds per square foot. Backup generators are included to ensure the inflation of the fabric, the company said.

This isn't an off-shoot of the company that built them for the Dallas Cowboys, is it?

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 6th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Probably something about his favorite team....._ND....that they should be in the Valley and that the ND legislature needs to make the schools schedule each other.....xbabycryx

Bisonator
May 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
This bubble is going to be great for a lot of sports at NDSU. Baseball, softball, football will all of some place inside to practice or run drills during the winter and spring months. Sure it's not the most eye pleasing but it can be taken down for summer months and it's extremely cost efficient. It's going to be a big plus for NDSU athletics.

As to the thread title question, from most of his posts he obviously doesn't need a reason to complain!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM
To go farther on my earlier point. I can imagine a lot of pettiness about St. Cloud State and how they've had a bubble for years, etc.

AmsterBison
May 7th, 2014, 08:21 AM
This isn't an off-shoot of the company that built them for the Dallas Cowboys, is it?

Naw, that thing had an internal framework. That's what hurt people when it collapsed.

Houndawg
May 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM
NDSU athletics to go before Board of Higher Ed seeking approval for bubble facility (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/434000/)

So what will Mpls find to complain about now? My guesses is we'll get to hear claims about this being a cheap alternative to what should be a permanent IPF.

In any case have it here sir so you can stop derailing the SDSU facilities threads.

His maxi pad leaks?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Wait, is it artificial turf in that bubble?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Wait, is it artificial turf in that bubble?

If you're talking about the St. Cloud State one, they put it over the football stadium which has an Omni Grass Turf field.

The one proposed at NDSU will go over Dacotah Field, the old football stadium now used primarily for Women's Soccer. It also has some kind of newer turf.

aces1180
May 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM
If you're talking about the St. Cloud State one, they put it over the football stadium which has an Omni Grass Turf field.

The one proposed at NDSU will go over Dacotah Field, the old football stadium now used primarily for Women's Soccer. It also has some kind of newer turf.

Dacotah has Field Turf, which is something like 4-years old.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Dacotah has Field Turf, which is something like 4-years old.

I remember when it was all called field turf. Now there are so many varieties, I wasn't sure what to call it.

clenz
May 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
This bubble is going to be great for a lot of sports at NDSU. Baseball, softball, football will all of some place inside to practice or run drills during the winter and spring months. Sure it's not the most eye pleasing but it can be taken down for summer months and it's extremely cost efficient. It's going to be a big plus for NDSU athletics.

As to the thread title question, from most of his posts he obviously doesn't need a reason to complain!
I know MPLS doesn't count the UNIDome as an indoor facility but it's great for exactly what you said.

Softball games are held there, practices for softball (and baseball when we had it), wrestling, basketball, volleyball, track and field, tennis, camps, etc... can all use it.

Bisonator
May 7th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I know MPLS doesn't count the UNIDome as an indoor facility but it's great for exactly what you said.

Softball games are held there, practices for softball (and baseball when we had it), wrestling, basketball, volleyball, track and field, tennis, camps, etc... can all use it.

Yeah I think this bubble is bigger for our baseball and softball programs then football.

BisonFan02
May 7th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Whoever had internet TV quality and frame rate.....you won.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2014, 04:12 PM
DAMMIT, I had shape of cubes coming out of an ice machine.... someone else got bingo

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Whoever had internet TV quality and frame rate.....you won.

I almost went with packet loss early on but figured it a long shot. Should have listened to my heart on that one.

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM
The sad thing is Comcast, Verizon et all "shape" traffic so that you prefer cable. Netflix recently payed Comcast money and their speed went up 60%. ESPN 3, Netflix, Hulu etc. are all harmed by this policy. This is why we need Net Neutrality. I was paying Comcast $140/month for 40mbps internet and Cable(netflix, youtube sucked half the time). Went to century link without cable for $35 at 20mbps. Sucks not being able to watch the 4 hours of cable I watch a week, but I absolutely refuse to support scam artists.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM
The sad thing is Comcast, Verizon et all "shape" traffic so that you prefer cable. Netflix recently payed Comcast money and their speed went up 60%. ESPN 3, Netflix, Hulu etc. are all harmed by this policy. This is why we need Net Neutrality. I was paying Comcast $140/month for 40mbps internet and Cable(netflix, youtube sucked half the time). Went to century link without cable for $35 at 20mbps. Sucks not being able to watch the 4 hours of cable I watch a week, but I absolutely refuse to support scam artists.

The Netflix server feeding you the data could be across the ocean for all you know. But you're convinced that because you're paying a different company to get the data from some central node in Denver out to your house, that must make a difference in how the packets are routed or delayed across backbone networks?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 05:29 PM
The Netflix server feeding you the data could be across the ocean for all you know. But you're convinced that because you're paying a different company to get the data from some central node in Denver out to your house, that must make a difference in how the packets are routed or delayed across backbone networks?

He pinged em'....then ran an email trace...and some other stuff that is not yet disc losable.

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Please, before you give me a lecture. I studied for CCNA and have a CE degree, I know what I am talking about. I am not claiming this without reason, this was big news a few weeks ago. I also know people that have worked for cable companies that confirm what I am saying in private.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2605186/Netflix-users-streaming-quality-skyrocket-theyre-Comcast-customers.html
http://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-says-it-has-a-fix-for-net-neutrality/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/6/5686780/major-isps-accused-of-deliberately-throttling-traffic

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I'm not disputing for a second that Netflix has been paying various content distributors a kickback in order to give their packets (higher) priority on those networks. I know it was news, I read it when it came out.

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not disputing for a second that Netflix has been paying various content distributors a kickback in order to give their packets (higher) priority on those networks. I know it was news, I read it when it came out.
Quoting for your benefit.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/6/5686780/major-isps-accused-of-deliberately-throttling-traffic

Five major internet service providers in the US and one in Europe have been accused of abusing their market share to interfere with the flow of the internet for end users. The accusations come from Level 3, a communications company that helps connect large-scale ISPs like Comcast or AT&T to the rest of the internet. According to the company, these six unnamed ISPs are deliberately degrading the quality of internet services using the Level 3 network, in an attempt to get Level 3 to pay them a fee for additional traffic caused by services like Netflix, a process known as paid peering.
"They are not allowing us to fulfill the requests their customers make for content."
"They are deliberately harming the service they deliver to their paying customers," writes Level 3's Mark Taylor. "They are not allowing us to fulfill the requests their customers make for content." While Taylor doesn't name names, he describes the six offenders as "large broadband consumer networks with a dominant or exclusive market share in their local market." He adds that "in countries or markets where consumers have multiple broadband choices (like the UK) there are no congested peers." He also says that Level 3 won't be paying up. "Our policy is to refuse to pay arbitrary charges to add interconnection capacity," he explains.
The situation recalls recent claims by Netflix that Comcast is intentionally throttling traffic with intermediaries like Level 3 and Cogent (http://%28http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/24/5650406/netflix-accuses-comcast-of-double-dipping-with-isp-toll), a problem that Netflix says ultimately led it to start signing direct traffic deals — Comcast and Verizon have been paid so far, with more likely to come. Since the Comcast deal, Netflix says its streaming speeds on Comcast have increased 65 percent (http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/14/5613280/netflix-streaming-speeds-on-comcast-65-percent-faster). But despite the performance improvement, Netflix doesn't appear happy about the arrangement. "While in the short term Netflix will in cases reluctantly pay large ISPs to ensure a high quality member experience," CEO Reed Hastings said back in March (http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5530898/netflix-blasts-comcast-and-verizon-on-net-neutrality-some-big-isps), "we will continue to fight for the internet the world needs and deserves."

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM

Seems like an odd way of getting that across in the first one then does it not?

What one doesn't know, one doesn't know, be comfortable with it and own it as I do frequently. xlolx

BisonFan02
May 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Seems like an odd way of getting that across in the first one then does it not?

What one doesn't know, one doesn't know, be comfortable with it and own it as I do frequently. xlolx

What you don't know...you don't know that you don't know? Donchya know?

FargoBison
May 7th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I remember when it was all called field turf. Now there are so many varieties, I wasn't sure what to call it.

It is SprinTurf.

The other practice field is AstroTurf GameDay 3D, which is also the same stuff that is in the dome.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Quoting for your benefit.

Paid peering is not a new concept.

Consumer end user networks aren't going to start taking in less revenue simply because people want to stream television over the internet in order to avoid having to pay for cable TV.

It's the price we're going to have to readjust ourselves to accepting for the sake of keeping it the "internet" and not the "parallel nets".

The real losers in this are the people who actually want to use the internet for things other than streaming video. Not that such people exist anymore xrotatehx

Yotes
May 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I wish it were more well-known, but some ISPs do cap the streaming capability users have for certain online services. They are doing whatever they can to protect their dying cable services, but in the coming years we will see that system reform. People just don't watch cable like they used to. Damn internet fad, hurting the great people at companies like Comcast, Mediacom, Time Warner etc.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I wish it were more well-known, but some ISPs do cap the streaming capability users have for certain online services. They are doing whatever they can to protect their dying cable services, but in the coming years we will see that system reform. People just don't watch cable like they used to. Damn internet fad, hurting the great people at companies like Comcast, Mediacom, Time Warner etc.

Which is fine, but what you're going to end up with is something like what smartphone providers do now: charge you double for desirable services.

In other words, you pay $40 for phone and texting and then another $40 for a data package.

Well ok, then the ISPs are going to charge you $50 for regular "data internet" and then will charge you another $60 to add on "video streaming internet". If you opt out of the latter and attempt to stream video, they'll either outright reject it or throttle so badly that it'll be unwatchable.

That's how they'll get their money. Something like that, anyway.

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Which is fine, but what you're going to end up with is something like what smartphone providers do now: charge you double for desirable services.

In other words, you pay $40 for phone and texting and then another $40 for a data package.

Well ok, then the ISPs are going to charge you $50 for regular "data internet" and then will charge you another $60 to add on "video streaming internet". If you opt out of the latter and attempt to stream video, they'll either outright reject it or throttle so badly that it'll be unwatchable.

That's how they'll get their money. Something like that, anyway.
There is no way to that any ISP will be able to push you down to such a low limit. Yes, there might be fair usage at 250gb like comcast in some markets, that is still 9gb a day(15 hours of video a day). Most do not because they will instantly lose their business. It's simple you pay for a pipe, no one should tell you what do with it. When you get internet no company is going to tell you not to stream Netflix. The industry will have to adapt or they will lose money. The TV networks are more supportive than Cable companies otherwise they would not be licensing out to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Red Box, Blockbuster etc.
PS- I have a prepaid phone(Nexus 4) with straight talk and pay $45/month for unlimited minutes, text and 2gb data. There is always an alternative for smart consumers.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 10:26 PM
There is no way to that any ISP will be able to push you down to such a low limit. Yes, there might be fair usage at 250gb like comcast in some markets, that is still 9gb a day(15 hours of video a day). Most do not because they will instantly lose their business. It's simple you pay for a pipe, no one should tell you what do with it. When you get internet no company is going to tell you not to stream Netflix. The industry will have to adapt or they will lose money. The TV networks are more supportive than Cable companies otherwise they would not be licensing out to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Red Box, Blockbuster etc.
PS- I have a prepaid phone(Nexus 4) with straight talk and pay $45/month for unlimited minutes, text and 2gb data. There is always an alternative for smart consumers.

I don't dispute anything you say. I simply know better than to expect consumer end user networks to just lay down and accept half the revenue they were getting five years ago (ie, be dumb pipe companies - as you suggest). That's not how the world works, I'm afraid.

And yes, you and I can pay less and get less (I also have a value unlimited package for my smartphone). There will always be folks who live with less to pay less. Just as there will always be folks who simply pirate the content they want. But as long as they convince the majority, that's all they need.

Five to ten years ago, people accepted the fact that they were going to pay $100/mo to Comcast for internet and TV. Then they started saying "hey, why can't we just download TV for free over the internet and only pay an internet bill." What we're dealing here is really nothing more than people being cheap.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Oh by the way, if anyone is interested to know what the unquestionable gold standard is when it comes to indoor practice facilities (indoor track/football field), look no farther than Texas A&M. They have separate facilities for a full size football field and adjacent facility for a nationally premier indoor track. http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205237875&DB_OEM_ID=27300 http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205237792&DB_OEM_ID=27300

If you can afford it, then absolutely it's better to have separate facilities for indoor track and an indoor practice field. Usually, that isn't the case - so it's better to build a combined facility that has a 300m track with the infield being the indoor practice field (almost a full sized football field). Youngstown St has one of these and North Dakota and South Dakota State are building them.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 8th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Oh by the way, if anyone is interested to know what the unquestionable gold standard is when it comes to indoor practice facilities (indoor track/football field), look no farther than Texas A&M. They have separate facilities for a full size football field and adjacent facility for a nationally premier indoor track. http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205237875&DB_OEM_ID=27300 http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205237792&DB_OEM_ID=27300

If you can afford it, then absolutely it's better to have separate facilities for indoor track and an indoor practice field. Usually, that isn't the case - so it's better to build a combined facility that has a 300m track with the infield being the indoor practice field (almost a full sized football field). Youngstown St has one of these and North Dakota and South Dakota State are building them.

Bingo!