May 6th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Missing a couple teams. PSU 3 times?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:39 PM
And so it begins...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Missing a couple teams. PSU 3 times?

Wonder if it has something to do with the redone venue and possibly wanting to get some television in from the heart of the footprint. They are all home games.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 02:51 PM
And so it begins...

xpopcornx

centennial
May 6th, 2014, 02:53 PM
And so it begins...
xsmiley_wix

IBleedYellow
May 6th, 2014, 03:21 PM
And so it begins...

*circlejerking intensifies*

That said, I am not going to start another MVFC vs Big Sky debate. Those get old faster than listening to Kevin on the Wedge. xsmiley_wix

JSUBison
May 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Looks like good matchups except for Sept 27 and Nov 15.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM

I think ISU will be more dangerous this year than they have been recently but that is solely based on what Mike Kramer usually does with a team he takes over.

Twentysix
May 6th, 2014, 07:32 PM

You never know, ISU could be on an upswing, and a typically lackluster MSU is probably on a downswing.

CrazyCat
May 6th, 2014, 07:45 PM
You never know, ISU could be on an upswing, and a typically lackluster MSU is probably on a downswing.

shakes head........................leaves thread.

slostang
May 6th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I thought Cal Poly had a shot at least one game with both Montana and Montana State on their schedule. Guess not.

Red & Black
May 6th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Can't complain about 4, although it would have been nice to have two at home and two on the road like last season. I don't quite understand why some teams get 4 and some get zero.

Couple these with the August 23rd game on ESPN, and the UW game on Pac-12 Network, and we have a pretty decent TV schedule this year. The others should get picked up by local broadcasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slostang
May 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM
The bright side for a Cal Poly fan is no Root games means no day games. As a father with two kids playing youth sports that is a good thing.

centennial
May 6th, 2014, 09:01 PM
The bright side for a Cal Poly fan is no Root games means no day games. As a father with two kids playing youth sports that is a good thing.
Does Cal Poly have terrible ratings? I don't understand not even one game?

BisonFan02
May 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM

They may for the Root network due to the number of TVs it would reach in their footprint perhaps?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2014, 09:32 PM

This is the biggest reason some teams get preferential coverage. Sucks they couldn't have gotten some more in there though.

Root Sports Northwest is an American regional sports network that is part of Root Sports and is an affiliate of Fox Sports Networks that serves Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska. It is owned by DirecTV Sports Networks and the Seattle Mariners.

BisonFan02
May 6th, 2014, 09:34 PM
This is the biggest reason some teams get preferential coverage. Sucks they couldn't have gotten some more in there though.

......and there you go about the network coverage. :) It works out well for a good chunk of the BSC, but it won't help much for the old GWFC schools.

cpalum
May 6th, 2014, 10:33 PM
BS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 09:33 AM

This means that the BSC is too big or Root Sports is too small. I would go for the former.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM
This means that the BSC is too big or Root Sports is too small. I would go for the former.

In reference to the TV deal it certainly seems so. Thing is even though some teams don't fall in the Root footprint they still share in the revenue and can continue on with their own TV deal on top of that. I mean it sucks not to be on it no doubt but even with that your school is still seeing a benefit.

It's too big but I like the conference this way as much as I did the other way for the most part and since it gave some good football stability to the new schools as well as solidifying the conference it seems to be the best overall choice.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM
In reference to the TV deal it certainly seems so. Thing is even though some teams don't fall in the Root footprint they still share in the revenue and can continue on with their own TV deal on top of that. I mean it sucks not to be on it no doubt but even with that your school is still seeing a benefit.

It's too big but I like the conference this way as much as I did the other way for the most part and since it gave some good football stability to the new schools as well as solidifying the conference it seems to be the best overall choice.

I don't know. National TV exposure is a big deal. I can't help but wonder if this doesn't really illustrate the disconnect between the core schools and the regional outliers. See CP and UND. Granted, there's only one real conference in the west so they kind of have no choice but I don't know, if I were a CP fan, I'd wonder what the hell I was getting out of the BSC.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I don't know. National TV exposure is a big deal. I can't help but wonder if this doesn't really illustrate the disconnect between the core schools and the regional outliers. See CP and UND. Granted, there's only one real conference in the west so they kind of have no choice but I don't know, if I were a CP fan, I'd wonder what the hell I was getting out of the BSC.
OK. I guess they are not better off with it and the BSC.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
OK. I guess they are not better off with it and the BSC.

I don't believe that's what I said at all. Just see the CP posters above feeling left out.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I don't believe that's what I said at all. Just see the CP posters above feeling left out.

Yeah well I'm not sure how the BSC has much to do with how Root wants to schedule so not making the connection here. I'm pretty sure everyone got to vote on whether or not to take the TV deal and Root gets to chose so the "I'm not sure what we're getting out of the BSC" thing works. It sucks but it's business and if we want coin from it we don't have much choice in how Root says they can make that work.

If another outlet comes along that can service the footprint better then by all means let's jump on that. Just doesn't appear to be a choice we have at this point.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Yeah well I'm not sure how the BSC has much to do with how Root wants to schedule so not making the connection here. I'm pretty sure everyone got to vote on whether or not to take the TV deal and Root gets to chose so the "I'm not sure what we're getting out of the BSC" thing works. It sucks but it's business and if we want coin from it we don't have much choice in how Root says they can make that work.

If another outlet comes along that can service the footprint better then by all means let's jump on that. Just doesn't appear to be a choice we have at this point.

You realize your position is that of a fan whose team gets over 1/3 of their games televised, right?

Realize, I have no real position here.

CrazyCat
May 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'd like other conferences with a tv contract to post their schedule for comparison.

aces1180
May 7th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'd like other conferences with a tv contract to post their schedule for comparison.

When you talk about "TV contracts" what parameters are you using? Are you talking OTA? Cable? Satellite? Media Players?

I can watch a MVFC game each week if I want on ESPN3 using my AppleTV, Roku, iPad, etc...I can also watch a Big Sky game via my DirecTV service or also online.

The way we receive media, including television shows and games, has changed. Don't be surprised when large cable and satellite providers start including streaming services such as ESPN3 in their own packages soon.

darell1976
May 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but Root calls the shots who gets televised and who doesn't. I thought UND got screwed last year until I looked at the footprint and we aren't in it so it would be nice but it's not the end of the world plus UND gets some cash anyways. UND has a deal with Midco Sports Net and Fox College Sports so it's national if you get those channels. Even though I, a fan of the BSC, think a good team like Cal Poly got the shaft, it's up to Root not the conference.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM
When you talk about "TV contracts" what parameters are you using? Are you talking OTA? Cable? Satellite? Media Players?

I can watch a MVFC game each week if I want on ESPN3 using my AppleTV, Roku, iPad, etc...I can also watch a Big Sky game via my DirecTV service or also online.

The way we receive media, including television shows and games, has changed. Don't be surprised when large cable and satellite providers start including streaming services such as ESPN3 in their own packages soon.

CAA has one, Patriot has one. I'm not sure they've released anything yet but I can watch plenty of FCS football on my teevee. I don't remember the last Bison game I missed either.

CrazyCat
May 7th, 2014, 12:19 PM

I want to know other conferences tv schedules with regional or national tv networks like ROOT,ESPN,Fox Sports1or2,Altitude,CBS sports network.

Yes I am fully aware of streaming services. I have been enjoying all the Big Sky sports on Big Sky TV for years.

darell1976
May 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I want to know other conferences tv schedules with regional or national tv networks like ROOT,ESPN,Fox Sports1or2,Altitude,CBS sports network.

Yes I am fully aware of streaming services. I have been enjoying all the Big Sky sports on Big Sky TV for years.

I love the Big Sky mobile App!!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM
You realize your position is that of a fan whose team gets over 1/3 of their games televised, right?

Realize, I have no real position here.

Of course I do. Montana and Montana St. have very strong TV followings. Why do you think Root bid on this in the first place?

Setting that aside or using it as you'd like to I believe I spelled it out fairly clearly in the last post. You said the BSC isn't doing much for them and I told you why you were misguided in that statement. You don't need to have a position I am just answering your statement.

Hell, I'd love it if each BSC game could be on Root every week but they have their own ideas on how to run their business so I'll have to trust em' at this point and hope there is enough value in all games in the future so as to have that.

Luckily, I can still can catch every game on BigSkyTV.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but Root calls the shots who gets televised and who doesn't. I thought UND got screwed last year until I looked at the footprint and we aren't in it so it would be nice but it's not the end of the world plus UND gets some cash anyways. UND has a deal with Midco Sports Net and Fox College Sports so it's national if you get those channels. Even though I, a fan of the BSC, think a good team like Cal Poly got the shaft, it's up to Root not the conference.

Bingo.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Yep, been hoping conferences would set that up for themselves for years now because man I'd love it if I could go watch MVFC replays etc. (can for some on ESPN3) during the week. It's coming and it can't get here soon enough.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Of course I do. Montana and Montana St. have very strong TV followings. Why do you think Root bid on this in the first place?

Setting that aside or using it as you'd like to I believe I spelled it out fairly clearly in the last post. You said the BSC isn't doing much for them and I told you why you were misguided in that statement. You don't need to have a position I am just answering your statement.

Hell, I'd love it if each BSC game could be on Root every week but they have their own ideas on how to run their business so I'll have to trust em' at this point and hope there is enough value in all games in the future so as to have that.

Luckily, I can still can catch every game on BigSkyTV.

All I'm saying, given the value of national television for recruiting, etc. is that there is a distinct possiblity that one of the teams (Darrel notwithstanding) might feel shafted. Lo and behold, cpalum feels shafted.

slostang
May 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I don't know. National TV exposure is a big deal. I can't help but wonder if this doesn't really illustrate the disconnect between the core schools and the regional outliers. See CP and UND. Granted, there's only one real conference in the west so they kind of have no choice but I don't know, if I were a CP fan, I'd wonder what the hell I was getting out of the BSC.Although I am disappointed that we won't be on Root this season I do not know one Cal Poly fan that is not extremely excited to be a member of the Big Sky Conference in football.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM
rather than continue to try to clarify my point, you win.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 01:03 PM
rather than continue to try to clarify my point, you win.

I get it, as a fan one can feel cheated but from the perspective of a program (the view I was working form) it's still a good deal.

Bisonator
May 7th, 2014, 01:06 PM
How much $ does each school get from the ROOT deal?

superman7515
May 7th, 2014, 02:21 PM
CAA football games that are carried on the regional Comcast programming are carried on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Plus, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, The Comcast Network, Comcast SportsNet New England, New England Cable News, Comcast Sports Southeast, and SportsNet New York. Click to enlarge footprint map.

The games on NBCSN have a reach of just under 78 million households nationwide.

Games broadcast involving CAA teams last year were:
Delaware State @ Delaware
Towson @ Connecticut
Stony Brook @ Buffalo
Delaware @ Navy
James Madison @ Akron
Maine @ UMass
New Hampshire @ Towson
Albany @ Colgate
Maine @ Northwestern
Richmond @ James Madison
Villanova @ Towson
James Madison @ New Hampshire
Rhode Island @ Albany
Stony Brook @ Villanova
Rhode Island @ William & Mary
Central Connecticut @ Albany
Maine @ Richmond
James Madison @ Delaware
New Hampshire @ Towson
William & Mary @ Maine
Albany @ Delaware
Villanova @ New Hampshire
Towson @ Richmond
Stony Brook @ Maine
Towson @ Albany
Villanova @ James Madison
William & Mary @ Delaware
Maine @ Albany
Stony Brook @ James Madison
New Hampshire @ Albany
Rhode Island @ Maine
James Madison @ Towson
Maine @ New Hampshire (not the playoff game @ Maine, the one two weeks earlier)

Mattymc727
May 7th, 2014, 02:39 PM
CAA football games that are carried on the regional Comcast programming are carried on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic Plus, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, The Comcast Network, Comcast SportsNet New England, New England Cable News, Comcast Sports Southeast, and SportsNet New York. Click to enlarge footprint map.

The games on NBCSN have a reach of just under 78 million households nationwide.

Games broadcast involving CAA teams last year were:
Delaware State @ Delaware
Towson @ Connecticut
Stony Brook @ Buffalo
Delaware @ Navy
James Madison @ Akron
Maine @ UMass
New Hampshire @ Towson
Albany @ Colgate
Maine @ Northwestern
Richmond @ James Madison
Villanova @ Towson
James Madison @ New Hampshire
Rhode Island @ Albany
Stony Brook @ Villanova
Rhode Island @ William & Mary
Central Connecticut @ Albany
Maine @ Richmond
James Madison @ Delaware
New Hampshire @ Towson
William & Mary @ Maine
Albany @ Delaware
Villanova @ New Hampshire
Towson @ Richmond
Stony Brook @ Maine
Towson @ Albany
Villanova @ James Madison
William & Mary @ Delaware
Maine @ Albany
Stony Brook @ James Madison
New Hampshire @ Albany
Rhode Island @ Maine
James Madison @ Towson
Maine @ New Hampshire (not the playoff game @ Maine, the one two weeks earlier)

Its a pretty good production too! For FCS football anyway

Silenoz
May 7th, 2014, 03:01 PM
How much $ does each school get from the ROOT deal?

$14, give or take

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Internet streaming sucks in comparison to a real digital television stream. No comparison in terms of resolution and particularly frame rate and dropped packets. Maybe one day, but that isn't this day.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Internet streaming sucks in comparison to a real digital television stream. No comparison in terms of resolution and particularly frame rate and dropped packets. Maybe one day, but that isn't this day.
^
/ \
|
|

xlolx

Maybe I shouldn't be asking MplsBison about his opinion on the first season of "Orange is the new Black"... xlolx

More seriously, with tools like Google Chromecast, it's easier than ever (and cheap) to stream broadcasts directly to your TV.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM
^
/ \
|
|

xlolx

Maybe I shouldn't be asking MplsBison about his opinion on the first season of "Orange is the new Black"... xlolx

More seriously, with tools like Google Chromecast, it's easier than ever (and cheap) to stream broadcasts directly to your TV.

I have Netflix, it works great. Scripted shows that were intended to be viewed at 30fps (or less, for movies) work great with dedicated, high horsepower equipment and networks that they pay dearly for.

On the other hand, none of that applies to streaming college football games live to your computer (or TV). The result is lower resolution and particularly lower (and often variable) frame rates as well as quite a bit of frame corruption or outright loss.

If it's not on an actual TV channel, I'm not watching that particular sporting event. End of story.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I watched at least 1/3 of the games last year on ESPN3. Never had a problem. Got a couple on Fox College Sports, saw 5 in person and the rest online. The XBOX app makes it look really good so I don't mind at all.

IBleedYellow
May 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I have Netflix, it works great. Scripted shows that were intended to be viewed at 30fps (or less, for movies) work great with dedicated, high horsepower equipment and networks that they pay dearly for.

On the other hand, none of that applies to streaming college football games live to your computer (or TV). The result is lower resolution and particularly lower (and often variable) frame rates as well as quite a bit of frame corruption or outright loss.

If it's not on an actual TV channel, I'm not watching that particular sporting event. End of story.

Cool story bro, want me to send you back to the 1990s so you can enjoy just TVs?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Cool story bro, want me to send you back to the 1990s so you can enjoy just TVs?

To be fair, the neighbor's wifi doesn't reach his mom's basement.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I watched at least 1/3 of the games last year on ESPN3. Never had a problem. Got a couple on Fox College Sports, saw 5 in person and the rest online. The XBOX app makes it look really good so I don't mind at all.

ESPN 3 can't touch watching the same game on ESPN Gameplan from a digital cable or satellite feed.

I get that concepts like bit stream, frame drop, packet loss, compression ratio, codec, etc. are beyond your pay scale, but some folks have higher standards.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 04:46 PM
ESPN 3 can't touch watching the same game on ESPN Gameplan from a digital cable or satellite feed.

I get that concepts like bit stream, frame drop, packet loss, compression ratio, codec, etc. are beyond your pay scale, but some folks have higher standards.

Sure it can, it's free with my ISP. My mom isn't paying the cable bill so I'm cost conscious.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM

I've now changed my mind about the death of the cable TV sports model. As long as Mpls' are around, I see profits as far as the eye can see.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Sure it can, it's free with my ISP. My mom isn't paying the cable bill so I'm cost conscious.

When my friends at Pied Piper finish their business plan and introduce their new data compression technology we won't have to worry about this at all.

They just have to beat Hoolie to the punch on this but it's coming!

centennial
May 7th, 2014, 05:05 PM
When my friends at Pied Piper finish their business plan and introduce their new data compression technology we won't have to worry about this at all.

They just have to beat Hoolie to the punch on this but it's coming!
There are higher data compressions and better technology. 2 problems- Not everyone has the processing on their computers to run it and Cable companies don't want you to see online television.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Let's just say, what you don't know, you don't know.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 05:21 PM
There are higher data compressions and better technology. 2 problems- Not everyone has the processing on their computers to run it and Cable companies don't want you to see online television.

There's also that whole "dedicated hardware" thing, not to mention "channel capacity" or "packet routing" (and let's not even get into net neutrality, now).

But meh, no matter. If ND4E says it's fine, it must be fine.

BisonFan02
May 7th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Let's just say, what you don't know, you don't know.

That's pretty crunchy man.........

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Not to worry about the cable companies. Alpha is getting ready to get us a 1 gig pipe so I'll have him shoot you a line.xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
May 7th, 2014, 05:42 PM
"220,221, whatever it takes."

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM
"220,221, whatever it takes."

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads20/ZDwApUbBm9mvrxmoHvRKN7j9_4001339170116.jpg

darell1976
May 7th, 2014, 05:50 PM
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads20/ZDwApUbBm9mvrxmoHvRKN7j9_4001339170116.jpg

Great movie!!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2014, 07:12 PM
There's also that whole "dedicated hardware" thing, not to mention "channel capacity" or "packet routing" (and let's not even get into net neutrality, now).

But meh, no matter. If ND4E says it's fine, it must be fine.

I simply said that it's good enough for me. I wouldn't pay 120 dollars for Gameplan to watch 4 games. Nobody cares what you find superior/inferior.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I simply said that it's good enough for me. I wouldn't pay 120 dollars for Gameplan to watch 4 games. Nobody cares what you find superior/inferior.

Neither would I. I'm just saying, it is vastly superior to streaming on ESPN3.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Neither would I. I'm just saying, it is vastly superior to streaming on ESPN3.

If a person wanted to watch a game that IS on ESPN3 and IS NOT on the regular TV then ESPN3 or other streaming is vastly superior.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 08:08 PM
You got me there.