PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Numbers

usdtoreros
October 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
Here's a look at what USD has done this year. Yes, it's an easy schedule, but it does include two wins over decent I-AA teams.

Team Stats
Total Offense - 510 yards/game (1st in the nation)
Scoring Offense - 46 points/game (1st in the nation)
Scoring Defense - 7.86 points/game (1st in the nation)
Total Defense - 204 yards/game (2nd in the nation)
Passing Efficiency Offense - 176.17 (2nd in the nation)
Passing Offense - 290 yards/game (2nd in the nation)
Passing Efficiency Defense - 80.62 (1st in the nation)
Passing Defense - 117 yards/game (1st in the nation)
Rushing Offense - 221 yards/game (9th in the nation)
Rushing Defense - 87 yards/game (4th in the nation)

Individual Stats
Josh Johnson (these with averaging sitting out a quarter/game)
- Passing Efficiency - 177.75 (2nd in the nation)
- Total Offense - 322 yards/game (2nd in the nation)
- Passing yards/game - 271 yards/game (3rd in the nation)
- Rushing Offense - 52 yards/game (95th in the nation)
- Points Responsible For - 25.43 points/game (1st in the nation)
- Scoring - 7.14 points/game (36thin the nation)
- Also the active career leader in Passing Efficency (170.91) and Completion Percentage (69.23)

JT Rogan (rarely played in second halves)
- Scoring - 9.43 points/game (7th in the nation)
- Rushing Yards - 98.14 yards/game (31st in the nation)
- All-Purpose Yards - 141.29 yards/game (18th in the nation)

Wes Doyle
- Receiving Yards - 85 yards/game (19th in the nation)
- Receptions - 4.83 rec/game (47th in the nation)
- Scoring - 6 points/game (62nd in the nation)

Other Tidbits
- Outscored opponents 94-7 in 1st quarter, 107-25 in 2nd quarter (201-32 in 1st half)
- Have only punted 10 times in 7 games
- Converted 60 of 90 third downs
- Red Zone TDs - 75% (33 of 44)
- 14 different players have scored a TD
- 6 different players have rushed for a TD
- 9 different receivers have caught a TD pass
- 7 receivers averaging over 20 yards/game, 10 averaging over 10 yards/game
- Lead nation in yards per kickoff return at 29 yards/return (but we do only have 9 KO returns on the year)

Yes, I know the schedule is weak, but has a team ever put up these kind of numbers before (on both sides of the ball).

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
no thanks, not gonna waste my Sunday

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
no thanks, not gonna waste my Sunday

then why are you on AGS? :D

I told myself I wouldn't post today. Spent the whole day driving back from Ohio. Knew I couldn't go 24 hrs without posting though. :nod:

Death Dealer
October 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM

I told myself I wouldn't post today. Spent the whole day driving back from Ohio. Knew I couldn't go 24 hrs without posting though. :nod:

Yeah, it is kinda addictive isn't it? Good thing you can't smoke AGS!xlolx xlolx xlolx

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM

I meant waste my time posting about USD

GOTOREROS
October 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM

This message board gets me sometimes - if you disagree with someone you simply tune them out. The guy provides stats about USD and asks a question about the productivity of our offense and defense. Let's assume the USD schedule is bad - but you still have to say USD is taking care of business. It's not like USD is barely winning games - we are BLOWING teams out, every team. Yes, the schedule is bad, but USD is converting on offense and stopping on defense. I too would like to know when a team dominated on both sides of the ball like USD has this year (even with this schedule). Again, USD is blowing out the competition weak as it is - I still can't remember a team doing this in quite a while. What were Coastal's scores the year they went 10-1? Just wondering...

GOTOREROS

grizband
October 22nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
This message board gets me sometimes - if you disagree with someone you simply tune them out. The guy provides stats about USD and asks a question about the productivity of our offense and defense. Let's assume the USD schedule is bad - but you still have to say USD is taking care of business. It's not like USD is barely winning games - we are BLOWING teams out, every team. Yes, the schedule is bad, but USD is converting on offense and stopping on defense. I too would like to know when a team dominated on both sides of the ball like USD has this year (even with this schedule). Again, USD is blowing out the competition weak as it is - I still can't remember a team doing this in quite a while. What were Coastal's scores the year they went 10-1? Just wondering...

GOTOREROS
The 1999 I-AA national champions Eagles of GSU outscored their opponents by a total of 747 to 262 (including the playoffs). Some of their more lopsidede scores were:

55-14 vs Wofford
62-0 vs VMI
70-7 vs Western Carolina
51-14 vs Jacksonville State
72-29 vs NAU (first round playoff game)
59-24 vs Youngstown State (national title game)

If a team is truly great, they can blow out even good teams. I am all for USD making the playoffs, but not with their current schedule.

GOTOREROS
October 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
The 1999 I-AA national champions Eagles of GSU outscored their opponents by a total of 747 to 262 (including the playoffs). Some of their more lopsidede scores were:

55-14 vs Wofford
62-0 vs VMI
70-7 vs Western Carolina
51-14 vs Jacksonville State
72-29 vs NAU (first round playoff game)
59-24 vs Youngstown State (national title game)

If a team is truly great, they can blow out even good teams. I am all for USD making the playoffs, but not with their current schedule.

Thanks - that is an impressive record especially in a championship year. Now I assume people called them "classless" for those obscene scores right? ;)

GOTOREROS

UNHWildCats
October 22nd, 2006, 11:18 PM

GOTOREROS

Thw reason people are so sick of San Diego is because you guys start about 10 threads everyday going over the same ****. The bottom line is YOUR SCHEDULE is weak and your statistics arent gonna help u get a playoff spot.

crunifan
October 22nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks - that is an impressive record especially in a championship year. Now I assume people called them "classless" for those obscene scores right? ;)

GOTOREROS

I would be shocked if I found out that Georgia Souther had their starters in at the end of the game on some of those though.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2006, 12:16 AM
Thw reason people are so sick of San Diego is because you guys start about 10 threads everyday going over the same ****. The bottom line is YOUR SCHEDULE is weak and your statistics arent gonna help u get a playoff spot.

To be fair, I don't think USD fans are starting most of them anymore.

usdtoreros
October 24th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I would be shocked if I found out that Georgia Souther had their starters in at the end of the game on some of those though.

USD doesn't keep their starters in either and they're considered classless.

AggiePride
October 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Wow, I bet you could rack even better numbers up on your local high school teams.

Go for it! Those numbers could look even better!

usdtoreros
October 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Wow, I bet you could rack even better numbers up on your local high school teams.

Go for it! Those numbers could look even better!

We tried scheduling a HS team on our bye week, but it conflicted with their homecoming dance. Keep trying to deny that USD is a good team.

Johnny5
October 24th, 2006, 01:59 AM
If USD is as good as you say they are...then recommend to your Athletic Director to schedule real competition and join a real conference.

AppGuy04
October 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM

nope, just your coach

and btw, running up the score it classless period, i don't care if its your 1st and 4th string

HensRock
October 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
:yawn:

Maybe someone at USD thinks they can get into the playoffs by winning big against nobody week after week. The truth is, USD took themselves out of playoff contention long before the season started by assembling that schedule. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY POINTS YOU WIN BY OR WHAT YOUR LOPSIDED NCAA RANKS IN ANY CATEGORIES ARE - USD IS NOT GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS. DEAL WITH IT.

P.S. I really wish that everyone would realize that each reply to one of these USD threads moves it to the top of the stack and marks it as unread for everyone, You all DO realize that, right?

danefan
October 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Actually USD is considered classless by some because, starters or not, when your up by 50 you take a knee. You don't keep scoring with 1 minute left. Take a lesson from one of the most respected coaches in college football, Bob Ford, who took a knee with 2 minutes left against St. Francis when he was up 48. Oh and by the way he had his 4th stringers in and still took a knee. So the argument that "what...we put our backups in" doesn't hold water in my book or many other's.

89Hen
October 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Actually USD is considered classless by some because, starters or not, when your up by 50 you take a knee.
:nod: Up 62-7 on Valpo with less than 4 minutes to go they're still throwing passes and on a last possession with 1:56 to go they still running plays in Valpo territory. UD beat DII West Chester 30-7 to start this season. The last pass thrown by UD came with 8 minutes to go and they had two more possessions after that. Against URI the Hens had it on the one yard line with 28 seconds to go and took a knee to finish the game.

Coastal89
October 24th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Boy these threads are repetitive. USD blah blah blah blah, sucks!

Guard Dawg
October 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Not only does USD suck... but the Old Guard will keep all Non-Scholarship programs down. Quit talking about Non-Scholly teams on this board. Back to the power conferences!

lucchesicourt
October 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Let's see how USD stacks up against the UCD Aggies on 11.25 based on figures posted and comparing to UCD's:

Team Stats
Total Offense - 510 yards/game (1st in the nation) UCD 373
Scoring Offense - 46 points/game (1st in the nation) UCD 28
Scoring Defense - 7.86 points/game (1st in the nation) UCD 19
Total Defense - 204 yards/game (2nd in the nation) UCD
Passing Efficiency Offense - 176.17 (2nd in the nation)
Passing Offense - 290 yards/game (2nd in the nation) UCD 274
Passing Efficiency Defense - 80.62 (1st in the nation)
Passing Defense - 117 yards/game (1st in the nation) UCD 170
Rushing Offense - 221 yards/game (9th in the nation) UCD 100
Rushing Defense - 87 yards/game (4th in the nation) UCD 101

Now, UCD has played TCU (1A) which ran all over the Aggies and scored 46 points. Remove this game, and UCD's defense would be much improved against the run and in points allowed even having played ranked 1AA teams Cal Poly and YSU.

UCD's passing offense takes second to few, and USD is not one of them. Defensively, UCD is right there near the top of D1AA if we had not played top 25 D1A TCU and instead played Azusa Pacific. I sure we could have padded our stats against them, but that is NOT our goal. Our goal is to EARN a playoff spot by proving your worth against the BEST 1AA has to offer.
Until USD does this, you cannot claim to be playoff worthy. Is UCD playoff worthy this year? I think not. We lost to 2 playoff caliber teams Poly and YSU. I do not believe USD will beat UCD on 11/25, thus if we are not playoff caliber at this stage, are you? UCDwould be undeafeated too against the same schedule you have played, IMO.