PDA

View Full Version : WKU Hilltoppers possibly back in the top 25?

birdsflyhigh
October 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
The WKU Hilltoppers could make a case for the top 25 with a 4-3 record, a couple of real good wins over SIU and WIU, plus a razor-sharp (1 point)close loss to the ISU Redbirds. The Gateway's top six teams are all tough as nails! :nod:

shakdaddy3
October 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
i dunno... you can make a case for them, but with all the upsets in the mid part of the poll it will be hard for them to get in the top 25... definitely should receive votes, though..

OL FU
October 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
The WKU Hilltoppers could make a case for the top 25 with a 4-3 record, a couple of real good wins over SIU and WIU, plus a razor-sharp (1 point)close loss to the ISU Redbirds. The Gateway's top six teams are all tough as nails! :nod:

I don't know, I am still embarrassed voting you guys number one most of the first half of last year:o

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Not in mine

PantherMan
October 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Western Kentucky squeeked into my top 25 this week. They have played a tough schedule and beating SIU AT Carbondale is an accomplishment.:eek:

wkukid
October 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
That SIU win was great. 17 unanswered points to win. Plus the ISU game we should have won (missed a fg to lose). Plus one of our losses is to Georgia. I'd like to see us around 23 to 25.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
We're just a little luck from being 6-1 rather than 4-3. We lost to EKU in week 2 due to three fourth quarter turnovers. Yea, I know turnovers are part of the game, but without them we win that game. Our offense is really running on all cylinders right now even without our # 1 receiver, Curtis Hamilton, who is out with an injury. And as everyone knows, we were a missed 19 yard field goal from beating Ill. St. Still only lost by one. I'm not saying one way or another whether we should be ranked, but I will say we're one of the best 20 teams in the country, especially offensively. On a sour note, our special teams SUCK!!!!!!

BearsCountry
October 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Of course to play devil's advocate, WKU could have very well lost to MSU last week. We did miss 2 field goals.

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
I do not have WKU in my Top 25

FlyYtown
October 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
If I had a poll; you'd be 22... But still: Haddix and Moore are literally hanging on by a thread, one big hit, their season will be done... at least I think so...

redbirdtim
October 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
If I were to vote, they might be betw. #23-#25 for me. I find it funny how everyone thinks that it was a last second FG miss that lost the game vs the Redbirds. Yes, they should have taken the lead on a FG that the kicker would make at least 8 out of 10 times. However. there was over 4:30 left in the game after the FG miss. We even took the ball and drove with it after the missed FG but ended up taking knees. I can't guarantee you we would have scored, but the Hilltopper defense was not stopping us, especially Rembert at that point in the game.

So really, it was a missed 19 yard FG and hoping that you stopped us when we got the ball back that was the difference in the game.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Of course to play devil's advocate, WKU could have very well lost to MSU last week. We did miss 2 field goals.

Yea, well we also turned the ball over several times, had a touchdown called back, and were without Lerron Moore. On most weekends, we would've destroyed MSU.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
If I had a poll; you'd be 22... But still: Haddix and Moore are literally hanging on by a thread, one big hit, their season will be done... at least I think so...

Hanging on by a thread? Have you looked at their numbers this year? Apparently not. They've been nicked a bit, but nothing major.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
If I were to vote, they might be betw. #23-#25 for me. I find it funny how everyone thinks that it was a last second FG miss that lost the game vs the Redbirds. Yes, they should have taken the lead on a FG that the kicker would make at least 8 out of 10 times. However. there was over 4:30 left in the game after the FG miss. We even took the ball and drove with it after the missed FG but ended up taking knees. I can't guarantee you we would have scored, but the Hilltopper defense was not stopping us, especially Rembert at that point in the game.

So really, it was a missed 19 yard FG and hoping that you stopped us when we got the ball back that was the difference in the game.

I'd certainly take my chances with the lead. By the way, I'm not completely sure, but I think it was more 3:00 to go in the game when we missed the field goal. Not sure, but I believe it was closer to 3:00 than 4:30. I was there, but I had enjoyed a few conversations with Maker's Mark by that time.

shakdaddy3
October 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
I'd certainly take my chances with the lead. By the way, I'm not completely sure, but I think it was more 3:00 to go in the game when we missed the field goal. Not sure, but I believe it was closer to 3:00 than 4:30. I was there, but I had enjoyed a few conversations with Maker's Mark by that time.

4-G I 01 James, Chris field goal attempt from 19 MISSED - hit left upright, spot at ILS20, clock 04:03.

from the play-by-play: http://www.wkusports.com/live/live2/plays4.htm

anyway... WKU, IMO, is underrated solely due to their record... and their record deals with the teams they played... they continue to get better and will make the GFC race even more interesting. i am just happy we were able to finally get a 'W' against WKU AND WIU! time to keep on rolling!

redbirdtim
October 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Sorry about my dyslexia...but 4:03 is still a lot of team. Even if the Birds don't convert, there would still be a chance to punt-I'm sure we had a few TOs at that point as well. I would say at least 2...

However, if you saw what the Birds did after WKU missed...we got 2 first downs quite easily on the legs of Remert.

blukeys
October 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
There are a ton of 4-3 teams out there including Delaware. So you beat SIU. Explain to me again what SIU has done in the playoffs.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
What do playoff performances in "past" years have to do with this conversation? They're a good team.

Toppermaniac
October 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
By the way, SIU has beaten 1-A Indiana. Not a 1-A powerhouse, but who has Delaware beaten that can come remotely close to this win?

WIU02
October 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Toppermaniac also forgot to mention that they barely escaped with a win over WIU which could have easily, EASILY gone either way. Maniac loves to take the "glass is half full" approach when it comes to his/her toppers.

It's always a turnover here, a penalty, a missed field goal there, yadda, yadda...hey we should all share that view, that way nobody will ever really lose. xsmileyclapx

PantherMan
October 22nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
By the way, SIU has beaten 1-A Indiana. Not a 1-A powerhouse, but who has Delaware beaten that can come remotely close to this win?

...and Indiana beat Iowa, so by "San Diego Playoff Argument Theory"... SIU beat Indiana who beat Iowa who beat Montana. That makes WKU better than the second best team in the nation...xlolx ;)

Of course I'm completely kidding...but still beating SIU in Carbondale is pretty darn impressive and WKU normally puts a solid team on the field.:twocents:

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
why do people worry about polls so much? WKU has to win out to have a shot.

galojay
October 23rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Exactly PantherRob82. What does Top 25 get the Toppers? Tops still have to win out if they want to get in the postseason, that is all I am concerned about.

We have our backs against the wall... just like we did in 2002. Let's hope the outcome is the same.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
I'd rather not be in the top 25 and make the playoffs than be in it and get "woofed"

Killtoppers90
October 23rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'd rather not be in the top 25 and make the playoffs than be in it and get "woofed"
Hey! For once I agree with a YSU fan!

galojay
October 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
We can put this issue to sleep... Toppers just receive votes, which is fine by me.

BillLuc1982
October 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
WKU is one of the most underrated teams in I-AA. YSU should not take WKU lightly. If YSU plays like they did against Northern Iowa, they will lose to WKU.

galojay
October 23rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
WKU is one of the most underrated teams in I-AA. YSU should not take WKU lightly. If YSU plays like they did against Northern Iowa, they will lose to WKU.

We can all hope :)

birdsflyhigh
October 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
WKU in at #28 in AGS and #29 TSN. IMO I think the Hilltoppers are vastly underrated. I'd take WKU to win over at least 10 teams ranked higher than them in the polls. The mighty Penguins will definitely be up against it versus WKU (in a game YSU NEEDs to win to make the playoffs). :eyebrow: