PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS Fullback: Quinn Zamora

AttaBoyCowboy
May 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
Although Quinn played on a 1-11 Northern Colorado team, he received All-Big Sky honors as a freshman fullback. This is quite an accomplishment considering that Northern Colorado rushed for less than 1100 total yards. I hear it was his aggressiveness at the point of attack that influenced the Big Sky coaches to vote for Quinn. Though he never got any carries, he caught all 5 passes thrown to him, one for a TD.

citdog
May 1st, 2014, 09:01 PM
Welcome to AGS Atta! If looking for the best FCS Fullback it is necessary to look to your South and east to the Wofford Terriers or The Citadel Bulldogs or to your west to Cal Poly. All three schools run the Triple Option Offense and have Fullbacks that will have numbers that FAR eclipse UNC's Quinn.

buffalobill
May 1st, 2014, 09:15 PM
Andrew Bonnet 6' 3" 245 NDSU. He is a tank. He can block. He can run. He can catch. He is a junior from Council Bluffs, IA. He can't wait for the season to start against Iowa State.xthumbsupx

DJKyR0
May 1st, 2014, 09:26 PM
Bonnet is a f@#$ing freak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ91cUbGnE

Just wait until he starts getting some full-time duty this year. xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 1st, 2014, 09:28 PM
Andrew Bonnet 6' 3" 245 NDSU. He is a tank. He can block. He can run. He can catch. He is a junior from Council Bluffs, IA. He can't wait for the season to start against Iowa State.xthumbsupx

He has the athletic ability to play in the NFL IMO!!!

BisonFan02
May 1st, 2014, 09:46 PM
Calling Bonnet a fullback is a stretch (yes, I realize that is what he is listed under on the roster). He will line up a lot more as a TE than a FB unless things get tweaked due to the depth at that position. Time will tell.

Green26
May 1st, 2014, 11:41 PM
Does honorable mention mean anything more than just being nominated by your team for all-conference? Do you even need to get a vote? Don't know; just asking.

buffalobill
May 2nd, 2014, 01:08 AM
Does honorable mention mean anything more than just being nominated by your team for all-conference? Do you even need to get a vote? Don't know; just asking.
Good question! I would think that honorable mention would go to players that received votes, but didn't make 1st or 2nd team status. I am sure that those details would vary from league to league. Just my opinion, hope that helps a bit.

gumby013
May 2nd, 2014, 04:57 AM
Bonnet is a f@#$ing freak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ91cUbGnE

Just wait until he starts getting some full-time duty this year. xnodx

Junk shot alert on 32!

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2014, 07:15 AM
Did someone say "fullback?"

http://youtu.be/Zqi9JKzKWzs

AmsterBison
May 2nd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Did someone say "fullback?"

Wow, that one had to sting.

Pretty embarrassing for App's defense - even though, holy carp, that guy was a load.

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Wow, that one had to sting.

Pretty embarrassing for App's defense - even though, holy carp, that guy was a load.

To put that in perspective, that run was in the national semifinal game in Boone. App would go on to win the game and the national championship. The player Felton runs over like he was a toddler is All-American Safety Corey Lynch, who was the leader of the defense, SoCon DPOY, Buchannan Runner up, and has played in the NFL since 2008.

That is to say, he didn't run over a slouch, but perhaps the best safety the FCS has produced in years. He was a special player.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
He still is a special player, for the Minnesota Vikings.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
That said, there are really three classes of fullbacks that have to be considered if you're going to try determining who is the "best".

1) the triple option "fullback" - this is really just the first option running back (the guy who dives up the middle versus the second option pitch back), not a fullback in the modern sense
2) the H back, hybrid fullback and tight-end - a guy who might line up at tight-end when the formation breaks the huddle, then motion into the backfield to block, or vice versa. For the most part, these are tight-ends who are also capable of blocking like a fullback
3) the traditional fullback - lines up in the backfield and rarely does anything other than lead block on running plays.

AshevilleApp2
May 2nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
To put that in perspective, that run was in the national semifinal game in Boone. App would go on to win the game and the national championship. The player Felton runs over like he was a toddler is All-American Safety Corey Lynch, who was the leader of the defense, SoCon DPOY, Buchannan Runner up, and has played in the NFL since 2008.

That is to say, he didn't run over a slouch, but perhaps the best safety the FCS has produced in years. He was a special player.

Let's put that in some perspective, since you enjoy bragging about a players effort in a loss so much. Jerome Felton was great and had a great game that day. But when Furman had a chance to take a substantial lead, and possibly clinch the game, he didn't produce. Third and goal at the App 2, Ingle Martin trips on his shoelaces (actually slips) and brings about fourth and goal at the 1. Furman goes for it and Felton is stuffed by Jason Hunter and Pierre Banks. App takes over on downs at their own 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmiY0wAaOo

And lets be honest, if Richie Williams doesn't get hurt on the 2nd series of the game, it isn't even close IMO.

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Let's put that in some perspective, since you enjoy bragging about a players effort in a loss so much. Jerome Felton was great and had a great game that day. But when Furman had a chance to take a substantial lead, and possibly clinch the game, he didn't produce. Third and goal at the App 2, Ingle Martin trips on his shoelaces (actually slips) and brings about fourth and goal at the 1. Furman goes for it and Felton is stuffed by Jason Hunter and Pierre Banks. App takes over on downs at their own 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmiY0wAaOo

And lets be honest, if Richie Williams doesn't get hurt on the 2nd series of the game, it isn't even close IMO.

If Jayson Foster doesn't throw up a prayer a few weeks earlier that inexplicably avoids four hands of Furman defenders draped over a GSU wide receiver, that game is played in Greenville and Furman wins. You forget that Furman had already beaten App State that season.

The play by Hunter and Banks is probably one of the great plays in App football history. Felton hardly ever was stopped for no gain or a loss (I mean, it might have been like 10 times in four years). None bigger than that one.

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
That said, there are really three classes of fullbacks that have to be considered if you're going to try determining who is the "best".

1) the triple option "fullback" - this is really just the first option running back (the guy who dives up the middle versus the second option pitch back), not a fullback in the modern sense
2) the H back, hybrid fullback and tight-end - a guy who might line up at tight-end when the formation breaks the huddle, then motion into the backfield to block, or vice versa. For the most part, these are tight-ends who are also capable of blocking like a fullback
3) the traditional fullback - lines up in the backfield and rarely does anything other than lead block on running plays.

Felton doesn't fit any of those. He was somewhere between #1 and #3. Used plenty as a lead blocker for Furman's strong stable of running backs (as you see him now do in the NFL), but also rushed for nearly 2,000 yards in his career with 51 touchdowns. He was Jerome Bettis or Ron Dayne with more blocking.

BisonFan02
May 2nd, 2014, 02:53 PM
FB is a goofy position to debate as far as player comparison. One of the best FB in NDSU history had 1 career carry (2012 natty for no gain) and a few token receptions....two stick out in my mind as notable moments (the TD reception against Ferris St where we all had a bit of a chuckle and a "Near" TD against Lehigh when he decided to initiate contact at the goalline instead of running for the pile on).

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4583&path=football

Guys like Grothmann won't get the attention, but the Bison ran behind him for 4 years...

underdawg
May 2nd, 2014, 08:15 PM
sorry boys it will be 6' 240 pound Mika'il MCCall blocking for 5'9" 210 Malcome Agnew for SIU

Bisonoline
May 2nd, 2014, 08:49 PM
FB is a goofy position to debate as far as player comparison. One of the best FB in NDSU history had 1 career carry (2012 natty for no gain) and a few token receptions....two stick out in my mind as notable moments (the TD reception against Ferris St where we all had a bit of a chuckle and a "Near" TD against Lehigh when he decided to initiate contact at the goalline instead of running for the pile on).

http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4583&path=football

Guys like Grothmann won't get the attention, but the Bison ran behind him for 4 years...

Bohl philosophy change at the end. He started to use the FB and TE more. Never could undrstand why he refused to take advantage of those weapons. At a recruiting signing party one year I actually asked him if was was going to utilize the new recruits as in giving them the ball. He did not like that question by the expression on his face and his reply was---"dont worry we will teach them how to block".
As he turn and walked away I looked at Tatanka and said---he didnt like that question. Tatanka said "NO he did NOT"!!! LOL

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Felton doesn't fit any of those. He was somewhere between #1 and #3. Used plenty as a lead blocker for Furman's strong stable of running backs (as you see him now do in the NFL), but also rushed for nearly 2,000 yards in his career with 51 touchdowns. He was Jerome Bettis or Ron Dayne with more blocking.

I would agree with you only if he got those yards lined up as the actual FB in a two back set from intentional handoffs to the FB. For example, if he was the back closest to the QB in an I-formation and the QB did a quick handoff to him up the middle of the offense while the tailback faked getting a pitch to the right or left. Something like that.

But I doubt that was the case. I'm guessing that he was just so much of a freak athlete that even as a large, heavy back he could still line up as a tailback and run people over/run away from them (like a Tyler Roehl from NDSU).

In that case, when he did line up as an actual fullback he would clearly be a #3.

I would only allow #1 in the case of a team that strictly ran the triple-option as their offense (Navy being the best modern example).

AshevilleApp2
May 3rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
If Jayson Foster doesn't throw up a prayer a few weeks earlier that inexplicably avoids four hands of Furman defenders draped over a GSU wide receiver, that game is played in Greenville and Furman wins. You forget that Furman had already beaten App State that season.

The play by Hunter and Banks is probably one of the great plays in App football history. Felton hardly ever was stopped for no gain or a loss (I mean, it might have been like 10 times in four years). None bigger than that one.

Foster did and GSU won. I remember that Furman won at home against App after several losses in both houses. The difference that season was that Furman lost to a non-contender in the conference, as did Georgia Southern. Conference Championship and second seed goes to App. Even though Furman was ranked #2 at the time and App was ranked #4 if I remember correctly.

In any event, I doubt that Furman wins the semi, even at home. All moot now of course.

Herder
May 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Welcome to AGS Atta! If looking for the best FCS Fullback it is necessary to look to your South and east to the Wofford Terriers or The Citadel Bulldogs or to your west to Cal Poly. All three schools run the Triple Option Offense and have Fullbacks that will have numbers that FAR eclipse UNC's Quinn.

Fullback numbers?? Pancake blocks and RB yardage, that how you evaluate a FB. Real FB's block for thousand yard rushers while Tweeners run the option.