PDA

View Full Version : E. Illinois pulling some major transfers

bluehenbillk
April 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM
http://247sports.com/Article/Dorial-Green-Beckham-could-be-heading-to-Eastern-Illinois-28389343

So much for worrying about replacing that passing attack....

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
http://247sports.com/Article/Dorial-Green-Beckham-could-be-heading-to-Eastern-Illinois-28389343

So much for worrying about replacing that passing attack....

If transfers made the difference SIU would win it every year.

major095
April 29th, 2014, 04:19 PM
funny.... in Montgomery they think Whitlow and DGB could both end up at bama state... lol

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/alabama-state/2014/04/28/whitlow-joining-hornets/8427967/

Alabama State football coach Reggie Barlow said he would be very interested in talking to Montgomery native Jalen Whitlow about transferring to play for the Hornets, but said he has not received permission to talk to the former University of Kentucky quarterback.
Wildcat officials announced two weeks ago that Whitlow planned to transfer to another school after the spring semester in Lexington, but Hornet coaches are not permitted to talk to players from other schools until obtaining a release from that school.

centennial
April 29th, 2014, 04:24 PM
From a 3 way tie between SELA, SIU and EIU, EIU wins the award for the worst FBS transfer this year.

clenz
April 29th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Funny...at either school he is going to be more or less irrelevant.

FargoBison
April 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM

SELA would have a national title as well. They are transfer U.

lionsrking2
April 29th, 2014, 09:12 PM
SELA would have a national title as well. They are transfer U.

Actually we're not. We've taken an occasional transfer over the years but it's only been in the last two years that we've taken a large number. Not coincidentally, we won the SLC and made the playoffs for the first time. Outside of Bryan Bennett, most of our top players, were signed out of high school or JC.

citdog
April 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Actually we're not. We've taken an occasional transfer over the years but it's only been in the last two years that we've taken a large number. Not coincidentally, we won the SLC and made the playoffs for the first time. Outside of Bryan Bennett, most of our top players, were signed out of high school or JC.

I actually went and looked at y'alls roster the other day and was surprised at that fact.

major095
April 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Funny...at either school he is going to be more or less irrelevant.

let's be real... he played football at kentucky. he was already irrelevant. but as for alabama state's part, they've been able to take the guys who have transferred into their program and help them to the nfl.

clenz
April 30th, 2014, 09:07 AM
let's be real... he played football at kentucky. he was already irrelevant. but as for alabama state's part, they've been able to take the guys who have transferred into their program and help them to the nfl.
I was talking about DGB...but the same goes for him as well.

EIU is likely to fall back. DGB isn't going to change that.

PanthersBlue
April 30th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I was talking about DGB...but the same goes for him as well.

EIU is likely to fall back. DGB isn't going to change that.

I agree there will be some drop off from this years squad, but not as much as many think.

clenz
April 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I agree there will be some drop off from this years squad, but not as much as many think.
EIU was overrated all season long based on beating a weak schedule and a weak conference.

I see no reason that losing the head coach that built that program to what it was recently and the best QB in school history (arguably) won't lead to a rather good size drop off.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM
EIU was overrated all season long based on beating a weak schedule and a weak conference.

I see no reason that losing the head coach that built that program to what it was recently and the best QB in school history (arguably) won't lead to a rather good size drop off.

Yep, this past year was the only one where they did anything in the Babers/Garoppolo era and they still got exposed in the playoffs. Not as bad as last year but exposed nonetheless. It won't be so much a drop off but a return after an overachieving season.

eiupantherfan94
May 1st, 2014, 01:18 AM
Yep, this past year was the only one where they did anything in the Babers/Garoppolo era and they still got exposed in the playoffs. Not as bad as last year but exposed nonetheless. It won't be so much a drop off but a return after an overachieving season.

Yes, our CONFERENCE schedule was weak, but it's the OVC, for god's sake, and aren't good teams supposed to destroy weak opponents? And did you not look at our non-conference schedule? Was SIU weak? San Diego State? NIU? That's not "overachieving." Illinois State had a down year but that wasn't expected. Yes, Towson destroyed us with their running game, but I believe the defensive roster Babers inherited, while quick and athletic, wasn't physically tough enough to stop great running teams. Given more time I think Babers would have recruited the right defensive players to make them a better run defense, and if Dameron sticks around long enough that's what he'll probably do considering his defensive background. And you obviously missed the 2012 season where they also won the conference. That's not, "nothing."

eiupantherfan94
May 1st, 2014, 01:23 AM

Apparently we're returning seven starters on both sides of the ball. That's more than I actually thought.
Offensively, while we lose Erik Lora, we're returning three of our top receivers in Adam Drake, Keiondre Gober, and Jeff LePak. If Green-Beckham can get his act together, he might become another dangerous receiving threat. Our two starting RB's from last year, Shepherd Little and Taylor Duncan, are also returning, and provide a good 1-2 punch in terms of speed and power running.
Louisiana Tech transfer Andrew Manley looks like he's going to be running the offense. Obviously he's not as going to be Garopplo-esque but as long as he doesn't do anything stupid he should run the offense well with the weapons around him.

Overall, I think the best case scenario for this team is that they win 8 or 9 games considering they play Minnesota and Ohio. ISU and SIU will be tough matchups but I believe we can still at least split with those two and go 7-1 in the conference with our only loss being to JSU, who runs the table in the OVC this year with all their returning talent.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM

EIU wasn't overrated last year. They were dealt a bad hand with the weather. The OVC wasn't too weak last year with TSU and JSU on their schedule. EIU will have a solid team this year.

clenz
May 1st, 2014, 08:38 AM
EIU wasn't overrated last year. They were dealt a bad hand with the weather. The OVC wasn't too weak last year with TSU and JSU on their schedule. EIU will have a solid team this year.
Towson had to play in that weather as well.

If weather has that big of an impact on your team you aren't a balanced team and don't deserve to be a top team, in reality.

The defense of EIU was completely exposed two years in a row.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 09:06 AM
Towson ran over everybody but NDSU.

813Jag
May 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM
can't win the SWAC with those guys xlolx

MplsBison
May 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Towson had to play in that weather as well.

If weather has that big of an impact on your team you aren't a balanced team and don't deserve to be a top team, in reality.

The defense of EIU was completely exposed two years in a row.

Not going to debate you, but the fact was that the game was played in a high school atmosphere. Piss poor weather caused unfair conditions, not conducive to high performance football.

Exact same thing happened the next weekend out at EWU. Towson got lucky two weeks in a row with weather.

Play either game in the UNI Dome and EIU or EWU wins.

EIU or EWU would've been a good matchup for NDSU. Towson was just like NDSU, except NDSU was much better at that style of play. That resulted in a boring, easy championship game.

Was hoping to see EIU or EWU against the Bison.

clenz
May 1st, 2014, 10:17 AM
Not going to debate you, but the fact was that the game was played in a high school atmosphere. Piss poor weather caused unfair conditions, not conducive to high performance football.

Exact same thing happened the next weekend out at EWU. Towson got lucky two weeks in a row with weather.

Play either game in the UNI Dome and EIU or EWU wins.

EIU or EWU would've been a good matchup for NDSU. Towson was just like NDSU, except NDSU was much better at that style of play. That resulted in a boring, easy championship game.

Was hoping to see EIU or EWU against the Bison.
EIU wouldn't have finished 5th-7th of the MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky and probably 4th in the SLC

clenz
May 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Also, like I said - if EIU was built solely for good weather games they weren't a top level team. They play in Illinois where the weather can/does get bad in Nov-Feb and they built a team for warm/windless days with a very suspect defense

They weren't an elite team.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM
Also, like I said - if EIU was built solely for good weather games they weren't a top level team. They play in Illinois where the weather can/does get bad in Nov-Feb and they built a team for warm/windless days with a very suspect defense

Protip: if you aren't built for success in your home stadium, you're doing it wrong.

NDSU hasn't always played in a dome and they get some epically ****ty weather but they built those teams to play in that weather. The rest is just excuses.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2014, 10:31 AM

That's a valid argument.

But the funny thing is, if the game had been played at Towson - EIU would've won! Same thing the next week for EWU!

Odd how it works out, sometimes.

Perhaps Towson did deserve to be in the FCS championship game, purely on the back of their 2nd best RB in the sub-division (behind NDSU's, of course).

Bisonator
May 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
But the funny thing is, if the game had been played at Towson - EIU would've won! Same thing the next week for EWU!

How do you know? You don't. It's just your opinion.

MplsBison
May 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
How do you know? You don't. It's just your opinion.

This is an internet message board.

Bisonator
May 1st, 2014, 12:58 PM
This is an internet message board.

It is.

And EIU's defense was horrible too. So how would they have stopped Towson???

MplsBison
May 1st, 2014, 01:12 PM
It is.

And EIU's defense was horrible too. So how would they have stopped Towson???

You think like a Bison fan.

A team only needs to score more points than the other team to win the game.

The fact that the snowy conditions made West look like an all-american wasn't what ultimately cost EIU and EWU the game against Towson. The thing that it cost them was their ability to rack up massive yards and scores through the air. Which isn't fair, compared to what they were able to accomplish in decent weather during the regular season.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
EIU wouldn't have finished 5th-7th of the MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky and probably 4th in the SLC
Now that's funny.

centennial
May 1st, 2014, 01:42 PM
Now that's funny.
Not funny. EIU would struggle to be top 3-4 MVFC. Yes, they might every now and then do better.
Just proving my point Sagarin 2013. I will concede that OVC has gotten better, are they the MVFC or CAA? No.
15 SUN BELT (A) = 59.92 58.96 ( 16) 8 59.50 ( 15)
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.31 59.52 ( 15) 10 59.01 ( 16)
17 MAC-WEST (A) = 58.22 57.23 ( 17) 6 58.41 ( 17)

21 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 52.47 51.98 ( 21) 9 52.50 ( 21)
22 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 51.22 51.49 ( 22) 8 51.34 ( 22)
2012-
11 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 62.18 62.64 ( 10) 12 62.52 ( 10)
12 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.53 60.79 ( 13) 10 60.94 ( 13)
13 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 60.97 61.82 ( 12) 10 61.64 ( 12)
15 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 54.83 53.93 ( 15) 9 54.07 ( 15)
2011-

12 SUN BELT (A) = 58.85 58.30 ( 13) 9 58.44 ( 13)
13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 58.43 58.80 ( 12) 9 58.61 ( 12)
20 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 45.46 44.62 ( 20) 9 44.73 ( 20)
2010-

15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 56.82 57.00 ( 14) 9 56.98 ( 14)

19 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 48.77 48.26 ( 19) 9 48.40 ( 19)

eiupantherfan94
May 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
For a quick return to the original topic, here's an article about Green-Beckham's father disputing the transfer rumors.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045861-dorial-green-beckhams-father-disputes-reports-of-transfer-to-eastern-illinois

So I guess this means that San Diego State and NIU would struggle as well. Eastern obliterated the OVC because it is weaker. Being in the MVC would simply mean more competitive games. I doubt they would beat NDSU (because of physicality), but the 2013 Panthers were still good enough to finish in the top 5 of the MVC.

lionsrking2
May 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Eastern Illinois had a very good football team last year, and lost to another very good football team in the playoffs. Sometimes good teams lose to other good teams, and sometimes it's a blowout. Doesn't mean they're overrated. Not sure why so many folks are dogging on EIU.

centennial
May 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
For a quick return to the original topic, here's an article about Green-Beckham's father disputing the transfer rumors.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045861-dorial-green-beckhams-father-disputes-reports-of-transfer-to-eastern-illinois

So I guess this means that San Diego State and NIU would struggle as well. Eastern obliterated the OVC because it is weaker. Being in the MVC would simply mean more competitive games. I doubt they would beat NDSU (because of physicality), but the 2013 Panthers were still good enough to finish in the top 5 of the MVC.
I think that is harsh. Big Sky outside of EWU was the same as OVC. In 2013 your team would have been top 3-4 MVC or CAA. However, that was your best team ever.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Not funny. EIU would struggle to be top 3-4 MVFC. Yes, they might every now and then do better.
Just proving my point Sagarin 2013. I will concede that OVC has gotten better, are they the MVFC or CAA? No.
15 SUN BELT (A) = 59.92 58.96 ( 16) 8 59.50 ( 15)
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.31 59.52 ( 15) 10 59.01 ( 16)
17 MAC-WEST (A) = 58.22 57.23 ( 17) 6 58.41 ( 17)

21 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 52.47 51.98 ( 21) 9 52.50 ( 21)
22 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 51.22 51.49 ( 22) 8 51.34 ( 22)
2012-
11 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 62.18 62.64 ( 10) 12 62.52 ( 10)
12 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.53 60.79 ( 13) 10 60.94 ( 13)
13 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 60.97 61.82 ( 12) 10 61.64 ( 12)
15 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 54.83 53.93 ( 15) 9 54.07 ( 15)
2011-

12 SUN BELT (A) = 58.85 58.30 ( 13) 9 58.44 ( 13)
13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 58.43 58.80 ( 12) 9 58.61 ( 12)
20 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 45.46 44.62 ( 20) 9 44.73 ( 20)
2010-

15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 56.82 57.00 ( 14) 9 56.98 ( 14)

19 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 48.77 48.26 ( 19) 9 48.40 ( 19)

We are talking about the 2013 team.
Plus thats a conference rating not EIU.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM
I think that is harsh. Big Sky outside of EWU was the same as OVC. In 2013 your team would have been top 3-4 MVC or CAA. However, that was your best team ever.
EWU beat us by 11. EIU blew us out of the water with our starting QB and RB.

centennial
May 1st, 2014, 03:22 PM
We are talking about the 2013 team.
Plus thats a conference rating not EIU.
Conference ratings are relevant to show that MVFC is tougher league and would be harder to win for EIU. Even in 2013 I would expect EIU to drop 2 if not 3 games in the MVFC.

EWU beat us by 11. EIU blew us out of the water with our starting QB and RB.
I think EWU vs EIU would be a tossup. Its hard to tell who is stronger by who performed well against a 3rd opponent.

Cocky
May 1st, 2014, 03:57 PM
Conference ratings are relevant to show that MVFC is tougher league and would be harder to win for EIU. Even in 2013 I would expect EIU to drop 2 if not 3 games in the MVFC.

I think EWU vs EIU would be a tossup. Its hard to tell who is stronger by who performed well against a 3rd opponent.
May have loss two according to what part of the season you put UNI. Before injuries UNI would have been a tough out.

I would put them as a toss up as well. We were playing at a higher level at the end of the season.

clenz
May 1st, 2014, 03:59 PM
Pre injuries what UNI does to EIU makes what Towson did to EIU look very tame.....very

SIUSalukiFan
May 3rd, 2014, 10:37 PM

I'm not sure what this really means.

clenz
May 3rd, 2014, 10:46 PM

SIU seems to be near the "top" of the FCS on a yearly basis in bringing in FBS cast offs/being rumored for FBS cast offs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 3rd, 2014, 11:03 PM
Eastern Illinois had a very good football team last year, and lost to another very good football team in the playoffs. Sometimes good teams lose to other good teams, and sometimes it's a blowout. Doesn't mean they're overrated. Not sure why so many folks are dogging on EIU.

Not arguing with you but EIU did get bitch-slapped by a north/south running team. Towson was a bad match up for them....as would NDSU have been. They had a very good season, I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

SIU usually brings in quite a few transfers....right?

MplsBison
May 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Not arguing with you but EIU did get bitch-slapped by a north/south running team. Towson was a bad match up for them....as would NDSU have been. They had a very good season, I agree.

The match-up was very compelling. Northern Illinois is a running team (although not in the same sense as NDSU and Towson) and EIU should've won that game.

The reason EIU and EWU lost to Towson was because of the high school weather conditions (snow). It made West into an untackable, all-world player that he clearly wasn't (as NDSU proved). And in turn it disolved both of those team's clearly demonstrated ability to gouge defenses with gobs of yards and scores through the air. It wasn't fair. C'est la vie

eiupantherfan94
May 4th, 2014, 04:40 PM
The match-up was very compelling. Northern Illinois is a running team (although not in the same sense as NDSU and Towson) and EIU should've won that game.

The reason EIU and EWU lost to Towson was because of the high school weather conditions (snow). It made West into an untackable, all-world player that he clearly wasn't (as NDSU proved). And in turn it disolved both of those team's clearly demonstrated ability to gouge defenses with gobs of yards and scores through the air. It wasn't fair. C'est la vie

NIU still ran for 367 yards in the game, and SIU was able to run for 209. Even half of our conference opponents ran for more yards than they passed. The signs that our run defense was our weak point were there but they were mostly nullified by the fact that our offense basically made the opposing team's running attack useless.

Houndawg
May 5th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Yes, our CONFERENCE schedule was weak, but it's the OVC, for god's sake, and aren't good teams supposed to destroy weak opponents? And did you not look at our non-conference schedule? Was SIU weak? San Diego State? NIU? That's not "overachieving." Illinois State had a down year but that wasn't expected. Yes, Towson destroyed us with their running game, but I believe the defensive roster Babers inherited, while quick and athletic, wasn't physically tough enough to stop great running teams. Given more time I think Babers would have recruited the right defensive players to make them a better run defense, and if Dameron sticks around long enough that's what he'll probably do considering his defensive background. And you obviously missed the 2012 season where they also won the conference. That's not, "nothing."

We were that game. Two starters playing on the o line and a backup TE playing NT.

Houndawg
May 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
May have loss two according to what part of the season you put UNI. Before injuries UNI would have been a tough out.

I would put them as a toss up as well. We were playing at a higher level at the end of the season.

And later in the season, when they would have played, SIU would have been a much tougher out.

Houndawg
May 5th, 2014, 04:36 PM
SIU seems to be near the "top" of the FCS on a yearly basis in bringing in FBS cast offs/being rumored for FBS cast offs.

So is that just an opinion or have you researched this claim?

MplsBison
May 5th, 2014, 06:54 PM
We were that game. Two starters playing on the o line and a backup TE playing NT.

Not to belabor the point, but neither of those would have mattered when EIU's strength was its passing offense.

Houndawg
May 5th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Not to belabor the point, but neither of those would have mattered when EIU's strength was its passing offense.

Most things matter in a game. I think the difference would have been in the number of possessions and that in a three point 3OT game that would be significant. Irrelevant of course, just sayin'..

The Ville
May 5th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry late to the party after not checking over the weekend. Just have to say anyone that claims EIU was not elite last year, I can no longer respect your opinions... did you watch FCS football last season?

Yes they got beat in the playoffs, good teams can lose but playing Monday morning QB 5 months later and critiquing that season is crazy.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Sorry late to the party after not checking over the weekend. Just have to say anyone that claims EIU was not elite last year, I can no longer respect your opinions... did you watch FCS football last season?

Yes they got beat in the playoffs, good teams can lose but playing Monday morning QB 5 months later and critiquing that season is crazy.

Was EIU an "elite" team or did they just have an "elite" QB/WR combo that put up a lot of points at times? Was their running game "elite"?? Was their defense "elite"??? Was their special teams "elite"????

Cocky
May 6th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Was EIU an "elite" team or did they just have an "elite" QB/WR combo that put up a lot of points at times? Was their running game "elite"?? Was their defense "elite"??? Was their special teams "elite"????
Unless NDSU is the only team eligible for elite status last year, then yes EIU was an elite team last year.

Houndawg
May 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Unless NDSU is the only team eligible for elite status last year, then yes EIU was an elite team last year.

They were a good team with an elite offense. I think that is a fair assessment because they weren't that that hard to score on.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM
EIU wasn't elite.

They were good but not elite.

They would have finished between 3rd and 6th in the MVFC, CAA, SLC, and Big Sky

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
EIU wasn't elite.

They were good but not elite.

They would have finished between 3rd and 6th in the MVFC, CAA, SLC, and Big Sky

They could've easily finished second in the conference and given NDSU a good game (better than Towson gave, anyway).

It would've mattered entirely on the game conditions and the timing within the season that they played various teams. If they could've fully utilized their passing game, then they would be competitive and have a chance to win against any of the MVFC teams on a given Saturday.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 11:23 AM
They could've easily finished second in the conference and given NDSU a good game (better than Towson gave, anyway).

It would've mattered entirely on the game conditions and the timing within the season that they played various teams. If they could've fully utilized their passing game, then they would be competitive and have a chance to win against any of the MVFC teams on a given Saturday.

Again with the shoulda, coulda, woulda.....if's and but's.....candy and nuts.......xlolx

Typical liberal way of thinking. It just wasn't fair! xbawlingx

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Elite teams don't give a damn about the weather.

Good, one dimensional with weak defense, teams do.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM

IMO to be an elite team you need to be solid in all phases of the game. EIU definitely had an elite offense. Great QB, WR and passing game. Their running attack was average but that's because they were a pass first scheme. Their defense was not good. Most of their games were put away by their offense forcing teams to try to keep up thus making them one dimensional and not as effective. When they met the better teams in the playoffs their weaknesses were exposed. So I'm not sure how they can be justified as an elite team.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM

The weather shouldn't be a factor in the first place. It's a failing of the tournament administration to allow weather to become a factor.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 01:10 PM
The weather shouldn't be a factor in the first place. It's a failing of the tournament administration to allow weather to become a factor.

Um...what?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Cocky
May 6th, 2014, 01:10 PM
IMO to be an elite team you need to be solid in all phases of the game. EIU definitely had an elite offense. Great QB, WR and passing game. Their running attack was average but that's because they were a pass first scheme. Their defense was not good. Most of their games were put away by their offense forcing teams to try to keep up thus making them one dimensional and not as effective. When they met the better teams in the playoffs their weaknesses were exposed. So I'm not sure how they can be justified as an elite team.

You answered my question, NDSU was the only elite team last year in your opinion. EIU was better than EWU against us and it wasn't close. EWU had a good team that I would call elite.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Um...what?

Weather shouldn't be allowed to be a factor. It never enhances the game, only harms the performance and limits play calling.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM

Especially at their home stadium. Weak excuse.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in NDSU and UNI fans telling EIU fans that they need to buck up about weather affecting their offense??

"Oh you're cold outside in the fridgid temperatures? That's too bad. If you were elite, it wouldn't matter. Hold on a second, would you? I need to go turn up the thermostat on my indoor stadium."

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Does anyone else see the irony in NDSU and UNI fans telling EIU fans that they need to buck up about weather affecting their offense??

"Oh you're cold outside in the fridgid temperatures? That's too bad. If you were elite, it wouldn't matter. Hold on a second, would you? I need to go turn up the thermostat on my indoor stadium."

When NDSU played outdoors, they had a team that could handle it. That's what you do, set your team up for success at home. If you can't do that, you are far from elite.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 01:54 PM

In 2005 UNI beat EWU in the dome then went to #1 New Hampshire in weather that was well below freezing with multiple feet of snow on the ground and won then the next week went to Texas and beat #3 Texas State...

UNI is 4-5 on the road in the playoffs since 1995. The losses have been 2 to Montana, 2 to Marshall (both national title years for Marshall), 1 to Delaware (national title year)

It's not NDSU or UNI's fault that they get most of their games at home during the playoffs

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM

I don't know why I even bother but isn't the weather conditions the same for both teams playing in the same game? So how is that unfair exactly?? So are you saying that a cold weather team should not have to play in a hot weather city then too???

You know as well as I do that indoor football stadiums are for the fans not the football teams!

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I'm not blaming any school or team for anything, I'm just saying that some teams choose to do damage offensively through the air and that weather can and does affect that particular strategy.

And as such, I think the fairest scenario to truly see which team is the best is to play those games in conditions where the weather won't affect the game play.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I don't know why I even bother but isn't the weather conditions the same for both teams playing in the same game? So how is that unfair exactly?? So are you saying that a cold weather team should not have to play in a hot weather city then too???

You know as well as I do that indoor football stadiums are for the fans not the football teams!

But they also enable the top level of performance for both football teams. They allow both air and ground offenses to achieve their full potential for that particular day.

It wasn't fair because Towson was built for a ground game, which is affected far less (if not directly benefiting) from bad weather. And I don't agree that it's good enough to just say "well, that's the risk you take by having an air offense".

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 02:22 PM
But they also enable the top level of performance for both football teams. They allow both air and ground offenses to achieve their full potential for that particular day.

It wasn't fair because Towson was built for a ground game, which is affected far less (if not directly benefiting) from bad weather. And I don't agree that it's good enough to just say "well, that's the risk you take by having an air offense".
Towson threw for 3700 yards last season...as much as they relied on West they had a very good passing game.

EIU threw for 315 yards in that weather which wasn't really all that far off their season average...the weather didn't hurt them that badly.

What hurt them was how bad their run game and their defense were. That's not an elite team.

Bisonator
May 6th, 2014, 02:28 PM

What about crowd noise? What about altitude? My guess is you will find something that isn't "fair". Deal with it!

Houndawg
May 6th, 2014, 02:30 PM

And if a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his azz a hoppin'xcoffeex

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM
What about crowd noise? What about altitude? My guess is you will find something that isn't "fair". Deal with it!

Beautiful day in Frisco but far from perfect field conditions. One team was affected and one wasn't.

Houndawg
May 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM

But it would have been fair if conditions favored the passing team. Got it.

eiupantherfan94
May 6th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Weather shouldn't be allowed to be a factor. It never enhances the game, only harms the performance and limits play calling.

The only way for to guarantee this is for all the teams to build indoor stadiums. As someone who has went to all of Eastern's home games the last two seasons, it would be nice if we had an indoor stadium (especially in our playoff games this year), but that's not ever going to happen even when the university is able to get all the necessary funds to build a new stadium they have planned.

As for Eastern's running game, people like to ignore the the JSU game where we racked up 413 rushing yards, although I will admit running out of the shotgun wasn't good in the snowy conditions vs. Towson.

Eastern had an elite offense with a solid defense, but keep in mind they were two years removed from back-to-back 2 win seasons. Like I've said earlier in a rage-filled post, if he had stayed Babers would have built the Panthers into a perennial top 5 FCS team with his own players. But, like all the posts in this thread, this is based on opinion.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 6th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Did someone say bad weather?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WOXkT107x2E#t=11

aces1180
May 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
In 2005 UNI beat EWU in the dome then went to #1 New Hampshire in weather that was well below freezing with multiple feet of snow on the ground and won then the next week went to Texas and beat #3 Texas State...

UNI is 4-5 on the road in the playoffs since 1995. The losses have been 2 to Montana, 2 to Marshall (both national title years for Marshall), 1 to Delaware (national title year)

It's not NDSU or UNI's fault that they get most of their games at home during the playoffs

Yeah it is...They earn it, lol.

clenz
May 6th, 2014, 04:14 PM
One has to take into account SOS when talking about rank for an offense though.

The majority of us aren't going to take the OVC all that serious for a number of reasons.

If that is the case Bethune Cookman had a better defense than NDSU and NCAT is right behind them.

B-C, NCAT, Gardner-Webb, St Francis, Drake, FAMU, Norfolk St, Bucknell, Duquesne and Robert Morris are all top 20 defenses.
Portland State, Jacksonville, PVAM, San Diego, Buter, Mercer, and UNCC all had top 20 offenses

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it is...They earn it, lol.
Touche...

The Ville
May 6th, 2014, 05:00 PM
To me it comes down to winning and how tough a team is to beat- not stats. EIU won a lot and were very hard to beat if you didn't have a great game you had no chance to win. Okay so they had a few weaknesses, what makes a good team great is even with weaknesses their strengths can still win games. I'll leave it at that.

And EWU was very good too, JSU's scores for those 2 games don't depict how much better EIU was. The Panthers had 35 in 1st qtr before we knew what happened, we didn't allow Adams that kind of quick strike in the ewu game.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Towson threw for 3700 yards last season...as much as they relied on West they had a very good passing game.

EIU threw for 315 yards in that weather which wasn't really all that far off their season average...the weather didn't hurt them that badly.

What hurt them was how bad their run game and their defense were. That's not an elite team.

Passing yards can be a tricky statistic. Throwing for 315 yards doesn't necessarily mean you threw the ball 315 yards. It means you threw the ball a number of times and the total yards gained by the guy who caught the ball was 315.

The weather was a double whammy. It made West better than he was and it hurt their ability to throw anything more than short passes.

- - - Updated - - -

But it would have been fair if conditions favored the passing team. Got it.

It would have been fair conditions if it didn't artificially increase or decrease any scheme.

- - - Updated - - -

Crowd noise and altitude aren't anywhere near as detrimental as bad weather.

It's about like blaming the concession stand for serving Pepsi instead of Coke.

Houndawg
May 8th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Passing yards can be a tricky statistic. Throwing for 315 yards doesn't necessarily mean you threw the ball 315 yards. It means you threw the ball a number of times and the total yards gained by the guy who caught the ball was 315.

The weather was a double whammy. It made West better than he was and it hurt their ability to throw anything more than short passes.

- - - Updated - - -

It would have been fair conditions if it didn't artificially increase or decrease any scheme.

- - - Updated - - -

Crowd noise and altitude aren't anywhere near as detrimental as bad weather.

It's about like blaming the concession stand for serving Pepsi instead of Coke.

Football is played in the fall and winter. If your scheme can't handle some bad weather you need to adapt your scheme.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Football is played in the fall and winter. If your scheme can't handle some bad weather you need to adapt your scheme.

Agree to disagree.

Bisonator
May 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Agree to disagree.

I think we all agree that you just like to argue even when you have nothing to justify your opinion.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I think we all agree that you just like to argue even when you have nothing to justify your opinion.

I can always justify my opinion logically.

Of course I like discussion. It's an internet message board, that's the point.

eiupantherfan94
May 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM
Thought this would best be put here rather than starting a new thread. Whitlow transfer is confirmed along with 3 others, but no Green-Beckham.
http://www.eiupanthers.com/news/2014/5/21/FB_0521140736.aspx

clenz
July 3rd, 2014, 01:11 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209539780

NORMAN, Okla. – Head coach Bob Stoops announced that wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham has joined the University of Oklahoma football roster. Under NCAA rules, Green-Beckham can immediately enroll in classes and begin team activities. He would be eligible to compete in games for the Sooners beginning in 2015.

Here's what I don't get. He played 2 years at Mizzou...he has to sit out this year. He can go pro after this year. Is he really going to stick around at OU after this season?

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2014, 03:46 PM

NORMAN, Okla. – Head coach Bob Stoops announced that wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham has joined the University of Oklahoma football roster. Under NCAA rules, Green-Beckham can immediately enroll in classes and begin team activities. He would be eligible to compete in games for the Sooners beginning in 2015.

Here's what I don't get. He played 2 years at Mizzou...he has to sit out this year. He can go pro after this year. Is he really going to stick around at OU after this season?

Depends what NFL General Managers say. Probably something like "we want to see him play another season after sitting on the shelf for a year, to make sure his expiration date didn't pass".

clenz
July 3rd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Depends what NFL General Managers say. Probably something like "we want to see him play another season after sitting on the shelf for a year, to make sure his expiration date didn't pass".
If he looks good in workouts and practice film it really shouldn't matter much.

It's exactly why people move from first rounders to 4th or 5th round without playing a single game after the season. It's all work outs and film at that point.

Bisonoline
July 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM

Do you think OU brought him in if he was going to jump?

clenz
July 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Do you think OU brought him in if he was going to jump?
He's not going to admit he would jump - and he might not. He would have had he been at Mizzou this year. If you are OU what's the harm in brining him in? Worst case he screws up and you kick him off...but he wasn't playing anyway so whatever. Best case he straightens up and stays for 2 or 3 years and puts up huge numbers.

smallcollegefbfan
July 3rd, 2014, 08:30 PM

He wants to come out after this year, that's why he is trying to get a waiver to play right away. If he gets the waiver and has a good year, he is gone. If he doesn't get the waiver then I expect him to sit out and come out in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Nickels
July 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Officials at Mizzou have stated they support a waiver that could possibly allow him to play this season at OU...

YoUDeeMan
July 4th, 2014, 02:09 PM
That's a valid argument.

Odd how it works out, sometimes.

Perhaps Towson did deserve to be in the FCS championship game, purely on the back of their 2nd best RB in the sub-division (behind NDSU's, of course).

xlolx

Perhaps NDSU did deserve to be champs the last three years, purely on the back of them playing at home and also somehow miraculously avoiding any really explosive passing teams in those playoffs.

Odd how it works out, sometimes

clenz
August 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
He wants to come out after this year, that's why he is trying to get a waiver to play right away. If he gets the waiver and has a good year, he is gone. If he doesn't get the waiver then I expect him to sit out and come out in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Waiver not granted...

Laker
August 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Any Eastern fans coming to the Bank on Thursday night? I plan on being there.

clenz
January 6th, 2015, 11:14 AM
And...DGB has told Oklahoma he intends to go pro