PDA

View Full Version : UNH and Cal Poly

Jaxhen
October 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Two teams that I thought sure were a lock for the playoffs a couple of games ago are suddenly in trouble. UNH now has two losses with two tough games to go in UMASS and Maine. Cal Poly has two losses and still has to play San Diego St., Montana, and N. Dakota St. Taking two out of three from this group won't be easy.

rcny46
October 21st, 2006, 11:16 PM
Two teams that I thought sure were a lock for the playoffs a couple of games ago are suddenly in trouble. UNH now has two losses with two tough games to go in UMASS and Maine. Cal Poly has two losses and still has to play San Diego St., Montana, and N. Dakota St. Taking two out of three from this group won't be easy.

I guess it's not rocket science to say that UNH can't afford to go any worse than 3-1 the rest of the way because at 7-4 they would be on the outside looking in.

ThreadStopper
October 22nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
If Poly wins 2 of 3 they will deserve a playoff spot. With San Diego State finally tasting victory today, NDSU almost beating Minninnesota and Montana getting another wake up call, this is not going to be easy!

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
Worth mentioning that UNH has a win over a Big 10 school. Gives a little leeway, I think.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 04:19 AM
UNH should definately be in if they don't finish any worse than 8-3.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
UNH should definately be in if they don't finish any worse than 8-3.

8-3 is hardly a lock for the playoffs. UNH needs to run the table to be a lock.

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
Let me add another team on life support YSU!

Two of three game on the road against two great programs (IlST and WKU)

One home game with a pissed off SIU team who's had YSU's number the past few years.

Man I love the GFC and all the excitement!!!!!!!

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
8-3 is hardly a lock for the playoffs. UNH needs to run the table to be a lock.

8-3... with a win over a Big Ten opponent would look pretty good come playoff time.

Maroon&White
October 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
8-3... with a win over a Big Ten opponent would look pretty good come playoff time.

I hope not, that Big Ten opponent is 2-6 now.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I hope not, that Big Ten opponent is 2-6 now.

:nod: Its not as if UNH beat Michigan. Northwestern is the worst team in the Big 10. I think at 8-3 there may be other more deserving teams with better records who are playing better football than UNH. I guess we'll just have to see how things turn out.

Jaxhen
October 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
I think an 8-3 UNH team deserves to be in the playoffs. Wins over a I-A team, Richmond, and either UMass or Maine would be deserving of a playoff spot IMO.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Richmond is no great shakes, they lost to delaware.xlolx

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 09:50 AM

something UMass is quite proficient at... :D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Here's the problem for UNH.

If they win out at 9-2, for sure they're in.

But at 8-3, they would need help. They'd have three conference losses and would potentially be the fourth-best team coming out of the A-10 (Maine, UMass, JMU). The nightmare for UNH is that Maine, UMass, UNH all go 1-1 against each other. Maine and UMass, barring something unforeseen, would then only have 1 or 2 conference losses, where UNH would be stuck with three.

If they lose to both Maine and UMass, IMO they are out at 7-4 unless something weird happens with at-large teams.

ngineer
October 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Here's the problem for UNH.

If they win out at 9-2, for sure they're in.

But at 8-3, they would need help. They'd have three conference losses and would potentially be the fourth-best team coming out of the A-10 (Maine, UMass, JMU). The nightmare for UNH is that Maine, UMass, UNH all go 1-1 against each other. Maine and UMass, barring something unforeseen, would then only have 1 or 2 conference losses, where UNH would be stuck with three.

If they lose to both Maine and UMass, IMO they are out at 7-4 unless something weird happens with at-large teams.

But in this year, weird is looking normal...xidiotx :D

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
something UMass is quite proficient at... :D

35-7 :D

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
35-7 :D

No 35-7 isn't correct... the series actually stands... UD 23 UMass 5... xlolx

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Oh you don't get it....35-7 was the final score of the butt kicking that KC & the hens received the last time the hens took the field against UMass. That was the biggest stomping by either team on the other ever. I can see why you'd like to forget all about that most recent meeting which resulted in one of the most humiliating defeats in the history of hen football. But we like to remind you. :D

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/110505aab.html

Husky Alum
October 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Or you can remind him of UD's stellar record at Parsons Field. ;-) in the recent past.
That being said, we've never won at the Tub or at W&M.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Or you can remind him of UD's stellar record at Parsons Field. ;-) in the recent past.
That being said, we've never won at the Tub or at W&M.

As demonstrated yesterday, Parsons can be a nightmare for visitors. Not looking forward to UMass having to play there next weekend.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Oh you don't get it....35-7 was the final score of the butt kicking that KC & the hens received the last time the hens took the field against UMass. That was the biggest stomping by either team on the other ever.

Your math is no better than UMass' record vs Delaware...

'59... UD 42 UMass 12

'86... UD 41 UMass 13

'94... UD 52 UMass 14

'97... UD 40 UMass 9

'01... UD 35 UMass 7

I know it's tough to keep track of all the butt whippings that the Hens have layed on the poor Minutemem... but please check the facts before you embarrass yourself again... ;)

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Oops I meant the biggest stompdown of UD in KC's history as HC, the biggest stompdown by UMass on UD and one of the most humiliating home defeats for KC & UD at the Tub. Thanks for the correction, I know that we both want to be as accurate as possible when discussing UD getting beatdown. Good Luck to KC in getting above .500 this season. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I still don't think UNH gets a playoff bid with 3 in conference losses.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately for UMass... 'ever' entails a little more than just KC as HC... but I understand why you would like to forget most of it... :p

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
xlolx I Just enjoy Kicking the stuffing out of KC Keeler every chance we get and I love that ever since UMass dragged KC out to the woodshed for a major league butt whuppin' at home, well things just haven't been right in hen land.xlolx

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
xlolx I Just enjoy Kicking the stuffing out of KC Keeler every chance we get and I love that ever since UMass dragged KC out to the woodshed for a major league butt whuppin' at home, well things just haven't been right in hen land.xlolx

UMass is 2-2 vs KC... but then 2-2 is a whole lot better than their 3-21 mark vs Tubby.

I quess when you have so little... you have to try to make a 'little' seem like a whole lot... :smiley_wi

UMass922
October 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
How on earth has a thread about UNH and Cal Poly turned into a UMass-UD "smack" exchange?

blur2005
October 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
Just to make this clear, there is no way an 8-3 UNH team doesn't get in. People talk of San Diego grabbing the final spot in the playoffs...well, if it's is USD or UNH, there's no way the Wildcats don't get in.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
How on earth has a thread about UNH and Cal Poly turned into a UMass-UD "smack" exchange?

here's your answer...

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Let me add another team on life support YSU!

Two of three game on the road against two great programs (IlST and WKU)

One home game with a pissed off SIU team who's had YSU's number the past few years.

Man I love the GFC and all the excitement!!!!!!!
No such thing as an easy schedule if you are in the Gateway. Its a battle to survive.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
UMass is 2-2 vs KC... but then 2-2 is a whole lot better than their 3-21 mark vs Tubby.

I quess when you have so little... you have to try to make a 'little' seem like a whole lot... :smiley_wi

you certainly outta know bout that....xlolx xlolx xlolx

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I predict that all 8-3 or better teams in the A-10 and Gateway make the playoffs.

Typically any 8-3 or better team in the A-10, Gateway, Big Sky, and SoCon make the playoffs.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Right again... UD's football tradition and six titles are nothing when compared to that mighty UMass program...

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Chickenman D2 titles don't count for much here. Nor does your need to talk about chicken history. Since what you have is not worth discussing here, take your D2 titles and your history laurels over to the D2 board and see if somebody is impressed.:nonono2:

Jaxhen
October 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Chickenman D2 titles don't count for much here. Nor does your need to talk about chicken history. Since what you have is not worth discussing here, take your D2 titles and your history laurels over to the D2 board and see if somebody is impressed.:nonono2:

All but one of those titles was before there even was a I-AA.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM

UMass was also a DII program prior to the advent of I-AA... but try as I might... I just can't find a single UMass DII title...

but speaking of more modern times... here's a UD/UMass comparision from a prior post.

Here's a comparision of the UMass/UD programs since UD became a member of the A10/Yankee Conference in 1986...

Conference records... UMass... 94-67... UD 111-50

Conference titles... UMass... 5 UD... 8

Playoff appearences... UMass... 4 UD... 11

Playoff wins... UMass... 5 UD... 14

Semi-final appearences... UMass... 1 UD... 4

Titles... UMass... 1 UD... 1

:anim_chai

umassfan
October 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
UMass was also a DII program prior to the advent of I-AA... but try as I might... I just can't find a single UMass DII title...

but speaking of more modern times... here's a UD/UMass comparision from a prior post.

:anim_chai
Get ready to add another playoff appearance, another A10 title, a few more playoff wins, and maybe another NC after this season.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Chicken nobody cares about D2 ancient history. Or what UD did 30 yrs ago. Its old and boring and irrelevent.:deadhorse:

UNH with 3 1AA losses is a bubble at best proposition.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Chicken nobody cares about D2 ancient history. Or what UD did 30 yrs ago. Its old and boring and irrelevent.:deadhorse:

Amazing... you continue "smack" UD at every opportunity and then complain when the facts prove you dead wrong... are you umassfan's father... ???

:p

Saint3333
October 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
UNH with 3 1AA losses is a bubble at best proposition.

Who is the last 8-3 A-10 team to be left out of the playoffs?

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Amazing... you continue "smack" UD at every opportunity and then complain when the facts prove you dead wrong... are you umassfan's father... ???

:p

Amazing you continue to want to beat a dead horse and make false accusations.

.....let me say this one more time: This isn't "smack" about UD. Its a simple fact: Nobody cares about UD's D2 glory days except apparently you. If you want to discuss that, go find a D2 website.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Just to make this clear, there is no way an 8-3 UNH team doesn't get in. People talk of San Diego grabbing the final spot in the playoffs...well, if it's is USD or UNH, there's no way the Wildcats don't get in.

But UNH could be the fourth A-10 team, with 3 conference losses - one to Northeastern. Don't immediately assume the A-10 will get four teams in. Granted, UNH has a good resume. But I wouldn't under any circumstances call them a lock.

Sam Adams
October 23rd, 2006, 07:22 AM
Agreed, I don't understand this presumption that 8-3 with 3 conference losses is okay to get in the playoffs. I'm sure that Coach McConnell isn't presuming he can afford to lose 1 more game. I'm not sure that there has ever been an A10 team with 3 A10 losses that has been selected for the playoffs. Anybody know about that?

RabidRabbit
October 23rd, 2006, 07:55 AM
Poly played one D-II game, therefore, in order to have the 7 D-I wins, they need to win all but one of their remaining games.

AWAY
San Diego St
Montana
NDSU

Home
Savanna St.

According to Sagarin's ratings, of those three away games, SDSU is the highest rated (low is best) opponent.

This is going to be a huge challenge for Poly. But, if a team is able to achieve, Poly should be up to the challenge.:twocents:

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Agreed, I don't understand this presumption that 8-3 with 3 conference losses is okay to get in the playoffs. I'm sure that Coach McConnell isn't presuming he can afford to lose 1 more game. I'm not sure that there has ever been an A10 team with 3 A10 losses that has been selected for the playoffs. Anybody know about that?

I know Villanova made it in '02 with a 6-3 league record... they beat Furman and Fordham before losing at McNeese St.

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Get ready to add another playoff appearance, another A10 title, a few more playoff wins, and maybe another NC after this season.

I agree... and despite some gloating by a few UMass fans... I hope the Minutemen can go all the way this year. UMass has the talent... hopefully their play will finally match that talent.

Cocky
October 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Who has Cal-Poly beaten other than UC-Davis? They can't afford anymore than one loss the rest of the way.

MinuteFan
October 23rd, 2006, 08:45 AM

In 1998, UMass lost to Delaware and twice to UConn, so they were an 8-3 team with 3 losses that made the playoffs and won the whole thing. Only one of the UConn losses counted in the A-10 standings (the second game was a late add-on when BU dropped football), but that's just a technicality.

UMass922
October 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
In 1998, UMass lost to Delaware and twice to UConn, so they were an 8-3 team with 3 losses that made the playoffs and won the whole thing. Only one of the UConn losses counted in the A-10 standings (the second game was a late add-on when BU dropped football), but that's just a technicality.

Right. I think people really overrate the conference finish. What matters when choosing at-large teams is how a team's overall resume stacks up nationally against other teams. An 8-3 UNH (with three conference losses) would have a much better resume than an 8-3 Maine (with one conference loss), IMHO--especially if that one Maine conference loss were to UNH in the season finale.

Jacks99
October 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Given where UNH is in the polls, I would assume they would get a bid, even with one more loss to a decent team.

Too many people would want Santos/Ball in the playoffs...

RabidRabbit
October 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Who has Cal-Poly beaten other than UC-Davis? They can't afford anymore than one loss the rest of the way.

Ans: Weber St., Sac St., SUU, Davis, Ft. Lewis (D-II)

Losses - San Jose St., So. Dak. St.

:nod: Agree that Poly needs to go 3-1, or better for their last four games. No AQ for them. :nod:

rcny46
October 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Oops I meant the biggest stompdown of UD in KC's history as HC, the biggest stompdown by UMass on UD and one of the most humiliating home defeats for KC & UD at the Tub. Thanks for the correction, I know that we both want to be as accurate as possible when discussing UD getting beatdown. Good Luck to KC in getting above .500 this season. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I still don't think UNH gets a playoff bid with 3 in conference losses.

Well,I guess in that case,they'll just have to finish at 6-2. ;)

bkrownd
October 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
No 35-7 isn't correct... the series actually stands... UD 23 UMass 5... xlolx

Living in the past this season? :rolleyes:

ChickenMan
October 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Living in the past this season? :rolleyes:

funny but I don't recall UD losing to UMass 35-7 'this season'... apparently some UMass fans have a very selective memory when it comes to the 'past'... ;)

Maroon&White
October 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Wow. WHO CARES about what happened in the past between UD and UMass. That has absolutely no meaning to what happens this year - they haven't played and won't play. What a pointless discussion.