PDA

View Full Version : Might as well hand the BSC two playoff berths

Jacks76
October 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Montana and Montana State don't look they will lose again (well, to anyone not named "Montana" something-rather).

Paul

umassfan
October 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
How you figure? Montana still plays Cal Poly and they def do not look impressive with their slim win today. If they beat Montana St then only one berth coming from the Big Sky.

windwalker
October 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Montana and Montana State don't look they will lose again (well, to anyone not named "Montana" something-rather).

Paul

And here I was thinking you meant the Big South Conference!!!

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Ronbo
October 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
How you figure? Montana still plays Cal Poly and they def do not look impressive with their slim win today. If they beat Montana St then only one berth coming from the Big Sky.

And a top 2 seed umassfan. See you in Missoula. Our 2000, 2001, and 2004 teams all had close Conference games. We peak at playoff time. Always have always will.

umassfan
October 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
And a top 2 seed umassfan. See you in Missoula.
You think they will give you a top 2 seed over a 1 loss A10 team whos only loss was vs I-A by 1 pt?

Ronbo
October 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
You think they will give you a top 2 seed over a 1 loss A10 team whos only loss was vs I-A by 1 pt?

You'll lose before we will in that crazy A10. We have all our games at home now except sad sack UNC. We are 129-18 all time at home since it was built. I like our chances for 10-1. You'll be 9-2 I'll bet. But we both could be wrong. Oh and I forgot to mention that the committee considers attendance in handing out those seeds too. Three home games at Montana makes bookoo bucks for the NCAA.

umassfan
October 21st, 2006, 10:22 PM
You'll lose before we will in that crazy A10. We have all our games at home now except sad sack UNC. We are 129-18 all time at home since it was built. I like our chances for 10-1. You'll be 9-2 I'll bet. But we both could be wrong.
I dont see UNH slowing down our offense, I dont see Maine having the offense to score on our D, I dont see Hofstra having any kind of offense at all, and NU doesnt have any pass D to stop Coen and company. I understand AGS but we havent played our best the last couple weeks and still are killing people. Vs Towson and URI, crazy wind held us up for 1 Qt but we rolled for the final 3. We handed URI two tds today and tooled them the rest of the game. Its pretty bad when Baylark himself out rushes a triple option team. xlolx

As for the seed attendance part you added... They didnt care about that when they gave Colgate a seed in 2003. I dont think they look at it as much as you think.

PantherMan
October 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
As for the seed attendance part you added... They didnt care about that when they gave Colgate a seed in 2003. I dont think they look at it as much as you think.

I do. Each game in Missoula subsidizes the games that have to occur at venues such as Colgate. If Montana is close to getting a top seed...they will. If it comes down to Montana vs. UMASS for the 2 seed, it goes to Montana.:twocents:

umassfan
October 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I do. Each game in Missoula subsidizes the games that have to occur at venues such as Colgate. If Montana is close to getting a top seed...they will. If it comes down to Montana vs. UMASS for the 2 seed, it goes to Montana.:twocents:
We will see... We will see:D

Ronbo
October 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
You know umassfan we have target on our chests in the Big Sky. Each team we play circles our game before the season. Several Coaches have called our game with them their Super Bowl. It's that way every year. We always have some close Conference games. Did you know that three teams took their bye week before their game with us this year? NAU, Weber, and MSU all have two weeks to prepare for us this year.

umassfan
October 21st, 2006, 11:17 PM
You know umassfan we have target on our chests in the Big Sky. Each team we play circles our game before the season. Several Coaches have called our game with them their Super Bowl. It's that way every year. We always have some close Conference games. Did you know that three teams took their bye week before their game with us this year? NAU, Weber, and MSU all have two weeks to prepare for us this year.
I donno if that is a good thing for your conference. In the A10 you would never see that because hell there could be 3 teams who all have a chance to run the table in the A10. Maine, UMass and JMU all are still undefeated in A10 play.

Green26
October 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM
I suppose Montana could lose to any of Idaho St., Cal Poly or Mont. St., but note that all of those games will be in Griz stadium--where UM doesn't lose often. Cal Poly lost to So. Dak. St. today, and UM beat SDS 36-7. Montana controlled Weber in the second half today, but let Weber back in the game with a 100 yard kickoff return, and Weber also drove for a TD on their last drive of the game with time running out.

UMass may be very good this year, but if I did my numbers right, UMass has beaten only 1 team (Towson) with a winning record. It's wins have come over teams with a combined record of 18-25, including Stonybrook. It looks like UMass has a fairly tough schedule, Northeastern, UNH, Maine and Hofstra, with the first two being on the road. UM has beaten only two teams with a winning record, Portland St. and So. Dak. St., but we have not had a Stonybrook on the schedule.

If UM and UMass are fortunate enough to win out, which they may or may not do, I think UM will be seeded higher than UMass--because both teams' losses will have been to I-A teams, UMass played Stonybrook, and UM will have had more quality wins than UMass, in my view. Montana is capable of winning the rest of its games, but I'm not going to make that prediction. We're not yet hitting on all cylinders, we're miss Hilliard as well as the I-A transfer rb who started early in the season (and started 2 games for Iowa St. last year), and we have only 6 of our top 10 offensive lineman currently playing (with 2 likely out for the season). We're hoping out team starts to peak in November, which is what we have tended to do in our best years.

catbob
October 22nd, 2006, 03:17 AM
I don't think PSU gets in at 7-4 (assuming a loss to Oregon). They should handle NAU and Sac, but 7-4 won't get you an at-large, even if two losses were to IA squads and you have a IA victory under your belt. But they would probably make the strongest case a 7-4 has ever made. But losses to both Montana teams makes winning the autobid nearly impossible - UM would have to lose to MSU and ISU, and MSU would have to lose to UNC and Weber...

Montana will get it, whether it be with the auto or an at-large. In my opinion there are only two games left on the schedule that UM could lose - Poly and MSU. ISU could give them fits, but they should be able to handle them. So worst case, UM is 8-3 and hosting a playoff game one again.

I believe the only way we get two teams in is if MSU wins out. They get two in a row at home (Weber and NoCo), then travel to UM for the big showdown.

If it comes down to a Cat/Griz showdown for first place, it would be a tossup. Griz rarely lose at home, and the Cats are an impressive 4-0 on the road this year, with only UM left to face away from Bobcat stadium.

If the Cats slip up, they better pray UM loses to ISU.

I guess theoretically, NAU is still alive for the auto, with 4 conference games remaining. They would have to win out, and basically would have to have the same scenario come true that PSU would have to have.

RobsPics
October 22nd, 2006, 04:10 AM
You all forgot to mention PSU

From East to West...you know the Vikings are the best!

catbob
October 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM
You all forgot to mention PSU

From East to West...you know the Vikings are the best!

Did you read my post?

grizband
October 22nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
I don't think PSU gets in at 7-4 (assuming a loss to Oregon). They should handle NAU and Sac, but 7-4 won't get you an at-large, even if two losses were to IA squads and you have a IA victory under your belt. But they would probably make the strongest case a 7-4 has ever made. But losses to both Montana teams makes winning the autobid nearly impossible - UM would have to lose to MSU and ISU, and MSU would have to lose to UNC and Weber...

Montana will get it, whether it be with the auto or an at-large. In my opinion there are only two games left on the schedule that UM could lose - Poly and MSU. ISU could give them fits, but they should be able to handle them. So worst case, UM is 8-3 and hosting a playoff game one again.

I believe the only way we get two teams in is if MSU wins out. They get two in a row at home (Weber and NoCo), then travel to UM for the big showdown.

If it comes down to a Cat/Griz showdown for first place, it would be a tossup. Griz rarely lose at home, and the Cats are an impressive 4-0 on the road this year, with only UM left to face away from Bobcat stadium.

If the Cats slip up, they better pray UM loses to ISU.

I guess theoretically, NAU is still alive for the auto, with 4 conference games remaining. They would have to win out, and basically would have to have the same scenario come true that PSU would have to have.
Thats exactly what I was thinking...I think PSU's playoff chances hinge on what happens in the rest of I-AA this year.

UMass922
October 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
If UM and UMass are fortunate enough to win out, which they may or may not do, I think UM will be seeded higher than UMass--because both teams' losses will have been to I-A teams, UMass played Stonybrook, and UM will have had more quality wins than UMass, in my view.

I agree with this. And I wouldn't even entirely mind it. Much as I would love for UMass to have as many home playoff games as possible, there's something about the idea of UMass playing a national semifinal game in Missoula that I just think would be awesome.

blukeys
October 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
I agree with this. And I wouldn't even entirely mind it. Much as I would love for UMass to have as many home playoff games as possible, there's something about the idea of UMass playing a national semifinal game in Missoula that I just think would be awesome.

Both this year and last year Umass could do well in Missoula. They are tough defensively and do not depend on audibles on offense. UMASS and JMU are probably the most physical of all of the A-10 teams. Something Montana never handles well. :nod: :nod:

Green26
October 23rd, 2006, 12:25 AM
Montana is a pretty physical team, and was as physical as Iowa, at least in the first 3 quarters, in my view. The coach, who is now in his 4th year, emphasizes strength and conditioning more the his predecessors. After his second year (the JMU loss year), the strength program was modified, based on modifications from a new asst who came from U of Washington, and who was the strength coach at UW. In January this year, a new football strength coach position was created. The football strength coach, Mike Gerber, was the head strength coach at Syracuse for about 5 years and an asst prior to that. He is apparently terrific, and strength and conditioning apparently improved significantly in the offseason.

Montana has only 6 of its top 10 offensive lineman playing now. Two are out for the season, but hopefully the other 2 will be on the field soon. One is the guard who transferred after being booted from Oklahoma. He started 4 games as a frosh at OK, and was expected to be a starter there this year. The other is a starter, and was a tranfer from Ariz. St.

TonkaBison
October 23rd, 2006, 01:54 AM
Montana is a pretty physical team, and was as physical as Iowa, at least in the first 3 quarters, in my view. The coach, who is now in his 4th year, emphasizes strength and conditioning more the his predecessors. After his second year (the JMU loss year), the strength program was modified, based on modifications from a new asst who came from U of Washington, and who was the strength coach at UW. In January this year, a new football strength coach position was created. The football strength coach, Mike Gerber, was the head strength coach at Syracuse for about 5 years and an asst prior to that. He is apparently terrific, and strength and conditioning apparently improved significantly in the offseason.

Montana has only 6 of its top 10 offensive lineman playing now. Two are out for the season, but hopefully the other 2 will be on the field soon. One is the guard who transferred after being booted from Oklahoma. He started 4 games as a frosh at OK, and was expected to be a starter there this year. The other is a starter, and was a tranfer from Ariz. St.

I live for the day when we can jump in on this discussion. Damn this 5 year transition garbage!!!! :bang:

blur2005
October 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM
The Big Sky will only get one team into the playoffs for sure. The way the teams like to beat up on each other, I am confident only Montana will go. Since Montana State will lose to Montana, that takes the Bobcats out. And Portland State will make the strongest case a 7-4 team has ever had.

GrizRchattybound
October 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
I live for the day when we can jump in on this discussion. Damn this 5 year transition garbage!!!! :bang:

This is the dumbest rule known to man....has anyone ever explained the thinking behind it? Purely FYI and off topic I know....PM me if anyone knows why the hell they do this.

:nonono2: :mad: xidiotx

GOKATS
October 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
The Big Sky will only get one team into the playoffs for sure. The way the teams like to beat up on each other, I am confident only Montana will go. Since Montana State will lose to Montana, that takes the Bobcats out. And Portland State will make the strongest case a 7-4 team has ever had.

Still too many games to play to make that kind of rash decision and there is certainly no guarantee that UM will beat the Cats at wa/griz- Cats have won 3 out of the last 4.

The only way the Cats get in is if they get the auto in which case the griz would certainly get an at large unless they flat collapse.

bandl
October 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Paul
There is still no way in hell to know how Montana State's season is going to turn out. If they can win @ D-I Colorado one week and then lose the next week to D-II Chadron State, then who the hell really knows if they will beat both Weber State and UNC before the UM/MSU game. That is why I have been very skeptical about their ranking in my AGS poll ever since week 2.

Jackluv
October 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
UM will of course go but its up for grabs for the rest of the BSC...(they always kill eachother off!!!)...MSU could beat UM like they hav in the past and it is a good possiblity. PSU needs to win out which is not going to happen against Oregon and NAU is starting to roll again. and NAU has a very outside chance

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Since Montana State will lose to Montana, that takes the Bobcats out.

It's happened 3 out of the past 4, under very similar circumstances. Don't count these Cats out.

grizbeer
October 23rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
It's happened 3 out of the past 4, under very similar circumstances. Don't count these Cats out.Cat's have 1 win in Missoula in the last 21 years - as valid an indicator as 3 out of 4.

AZGrizFan
October 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Cat's have 1 win in Missoula in the last 21 years - as valid an indicator as 3 out of 4.

And how many wins without someone named Lulay at QB??? :confused: ;)

89Hen
October 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
We peak at playoff time. Always have always will.
:rolleyes: You guys are definitely one of the best in the playoffs, but five first round losses in the last nine trips to the playoffs would suggest that "always" aint the right word. UM is 8-8 in the first round all-time.

GtFllsGriz
October 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM
A lot of football left to be played. This week will answer some questions in my mind. If we hold ISU to a respectable 17 points or less I will feel better. If they put up 21 or more than I am concerned.

The Cal Poly game will be huge and if the Cats win out then the Griz/Cat game will be even bigger. Again, this weeks game may answer some concerns.

Walkon79
October 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Just trying to keep this on page one until November 18th.

AndrewFU21
October 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I definitely don't think the Big Sky deserves 2 teams in, with all the really good teams in the GFC and A-10. Although the NCAA will probably consider Portland State to be seed material, given how much they love teams with two I-A losses ;) .

Walkon79
October 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Well I don't see the A10 getting 4 and the Big Sky only 1. If not the Cats winning out, then Portland State at 7-4 with two 1A losses.

AZGrizFan
October 24th, 2006, 02:29 PM
:rolleyes: You guys are definitely one of the best in the playoffs, but five first round losses in the last nine trips to the playoffs would suggest that "always" aint the right word. UM is 8-8 in the first round all-time.

quitcherbitchin. You won 49-48. Get over yourself. Yeah, we're 8-8 in the first round, but were' 14-6 after that. Putthatinyerpipeansmokeit. :p

We just gotta stop looking past that first round patsy. :nono: :nono: :nono:

bandl
October 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
quitcherbitchin. You won 49-48. Get over yourself. Yeah, we're 8-8 in the first round, but were' 14-6 after that. Putthatinyerpipeansmokeit. :p

We just gotta stop looking past that first round patsy. :nono: :nono: :nono:

What about that 4th round patsy you guys ran into in '04?? :D