PDA

View Full Version : "Cost Savings" at Portland State?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
http://psuvanguard.com/sports/silver-lining-in-footballs-shocking-announcement/

Prior to winter break, Portland State President Wim Wiewel released an update about the current financial shortfall that the school is facing. In the release, the president explained that unrepresented, unclassified staff members will be taking a substantial cut to their pay raise for the 2014–2015 year. Wiewel also explained that he wanted to reduce capital expenditures in general throughout the school. However, the last announcement claimed that PSU can no longer afford to subsidize the football team, and is requiring the program to become self-sufficient by the 2014–2015 school year.

Over the summer, Wiewel formed a task force to begin to talk about how to manage the $15 million rebudgeting that he knew would be coming this year. Right away, the athletics department was the first to be under consideration.

“We talked about a number of different possibilities,” the president said. “Should we get rid of sports altogether? Should we consider moving to lower divisions? Then football came to the table, and we thought it should totally be removed.”

So here are the facts: The program can truly become self-supporting, but they are going to need to increase the number of Football Bowl Subdivision games they play per year and see an increase in season tickets sold. On the bright side, the team will be able to remain in the Big Sky Conference and continue to play at Jeld-Wen Field. “.

This sounds real bad.

Libertine
April 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM
This sounds real bad.

Agreed. Depending on FBS games is unrealistic and unsustainable. With the conference schedule, PSU can only play 2-3 FBS games per year at most which would net them something less than $2 million at absolute best. Further, if PSU could drastically improve their current season ticket sales, then logic suggests that they would have already done so. It sounds like PSU is gearing up to kill football and then blame the program for its own demise.

ccd494
April 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Agreed. Depending on FBS games is unrealistic and unsustainable. With the conference schedule, PSU can only play 2-3 FBS games per year at most which would net them something less than $2 million at absolute best. Further, if PSU could drastically improve their current season ticket sales, then logic suggests that they would have already done so. It sounds like PSU is gearing up to kill football and then blame the program for its own demise.

I can't find an article, but I thought I read somewhere that the Timbers (primary tenant and big money-maker) want to switch to natural grass so they can host national team games/better international friendlies (plus it's better for their MLS product). As has become evident in Houston, college football and MLS teams are not great co-tenants on natural grass fields. Can't imagine the Timbers would be too upset to see PSU football die.

DFW HOYA
April 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Agreed. Depending on FBS games is unrealistic and unsustainable.

And yet how many schools count on these games? More that we'd care to admit. Could Grambling State afford to pass on a payday (read=loss) at TCU and play a winnable game against Lane or Kentucky State instead?

There are roughly 120 schools in the subdivision and 70-80% of these schedule I-A opponents. Of those, very few have the budgets to walk away from that payday. How many out there could legitimately walk away from these games today and not cut back?

centennial
April 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM
And yet how many schools count on these games? More that we'd care to admit. Could Grambling State afford to pass on a payday (read=loss) at TCU and play a winnable game against Lane or Kentucky State instead?

There are roughly 120 schools in the subdivision and 70-80% of these schedule I-A opponents. Of those, very few have the budgets to walk away from that payday. How many out there could legitimately walk away from these games today and not cut back?
This^. They will just go to not competing for the playoffs because of the 1-2 additional losses most year. Other than that... not sure if they will drop football.

FargoBison
April 17th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah it doesn't sound good for PSU. Sounds like the admin is building their case.

Missingnumber7
April 17th, 2014, 01:38 PM

This is going to be the justification when they finally do the D1 Football reshuffle. In the interest of all schools it needs to happen sooner rather than later. It will do several things but the biggest would be leveling the playing field and making teams participate at the level they are involved.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Even more rich is the fact that they're giving them 1 year to do it.

clenz
April 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Even more rich is the fact that they're giving them 1 year to do it.
That's a sure sign they have plans to drop it.

Yotes
April 17th, 2014, 07:17 PM
There's going to be one less team for the rest of the Big Sky to build their record on. No way they become self-sufficient, especially when the deadline is this year.

darell1976
April 17th, 2014, 07:27 PM
If PSU drops football we need the BSC to try their hardest to get Idaho back. It's not like they are going to make any money in the Sun Belt.

Yotes
April 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM
No way Idaho comes back. No one wants to be the first to come back down, it'd be such an embarrassment for them.

mvemjsunpx
April 18th, 2014, 01:32 AM
No way Idaho comes back. No one wants to be the first to come back down, it'd be such an embarrassment for them.

Even more embarrassing than all the other embarrassments they've suffered since moving up? Idaho has a winning record against Montana all time, but is only 1-4 since moving up. They also are just barely over .500 against Big Sky opponents since making the jump.

Herder
April 18th, 2014, 01:43 PM
This is going to be the justification when they finally do the D1 Football reshuffle. In the interest of all schools it needs to happen sooner rather than later. It will do several things but the biggest would be leveling the playing field and making teams participate at the level they are involved.

How is any type of re-shuffle going to help out PSU? Let's say the current top 5 conferences in FCS joined the Bottom 4 conferences in FBS for a Tier II football Championship. Is that level going to be at 63 scholarships? No, it would likely be 70+ scholarships in order to still get games against the top level. How is it going to help PSU to play basically the same teams (8-9 Tier II, 2-3 Tier I) while moving to a 70+ scholarship level?

The only thing that would help PSU is shuffling down. Tier III 0 - 50 scholarships.

hebmskebm
April 18th, 2014, 02:45 PM
First off, any talk of teams folding always sucks. But if PSU does fold, that would give the Big Sky an even 12 football playing schools, perfect for divisional play. Would that be something they look at doing? You can't avoid lots of long traveling in that league, but minimizing it as much as possible has to be something the conference looks at.

Silenoz
April 18th, 2014, 02:52 PM
If PSU drops football we need the BSC to try their hardest to get Idaho back. It's not like they are going to make any money in the Sun Belt.

Fullerton has already been trying for years. It will never happen, they have too much pride and BSU envy

Silenoz
April 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM
There's going to be one less team for the rest of the Big Sky to build their record on. No way they become self-sufficient, especially when the deadline is this year.

PSU isn't exactly a cellar dweller. If anything, it would mean more games against UNC and ISU

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM

PSU is every bit as tough an opponent as USD.

clenz
April 18th, 2014, 03:15 PM
That's really not saying much....

I know, I know USD beat UNI last year...but look at how USD has done since their transition started against teams from the BSC or MVFC.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2014, 05:28 PM
That's really not saying much....

I know, I know USD beat UNI last year...but look at how USD has done since their transition started against teams from the BSC or MVFC.

There are lots of good teams that just fall a little bit short but are on the verge or at least right there ready to make steps and are very tough opponents on the field.

As you said, they are good enough to bite teams that have traditionally been on the winning end of those matchups. They are normally pretty good teams that just find ways to make more mistakes.

So in my view it says a little something.

On to a different point that I was gonna mention yesterday. If PSU does drop it then I can't see a team judging on recruiting history that this would help more than Montana. I mean it's gonna leave talent for all teams to go after but that's a traditional hot spot for UM as it is.

I know MSU and EWU also get some players from the area but any other BSC teams that already drill there a lot?

Yotes
April 18th, 2014, 07:52 PM
True at the moment, but I haven't said USD was any better the last couple seasons. In the coming years we'll be leaps and bounds ahead of them. Joe Glenn (you may remember him) has us set up to be very good, very soon.

FargoBison
April 18th, 2014, 10:54 PM
PSU is like the Big Sky version of Missouri State. Good enough to beat some solid teams but for some reason they can't sustain it for an entire season.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2014, 11:20 PM
PSU is like the Big Sky version of Missouri State. Good enough to beat some solid teams but for some reason they can't sustain it for an entire season.

The reason is evident on the field. They are a very talented group usually but severely undisciplined. If they had 1/2 the discipline that NDSU had they'd be a playoff team a whole lot more often.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 18th, 2014, 11:26 PM
True at the moment, but I haven't said USD was any better the last couple seasons. In the coming years we'll be leaps and bounds ahead of them. Joe Glenn (you may remember him) has us set up to be very good, very soon.

Remember him? I know him personally. You may or may not get leaps and bounds better time will tell of course but he's the best shot you got.

PSU doesn't appear to be a going concern but if they do we'll also need to see how they fare because they always have a good deal of talented players on hand.

citdog
April 20th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Remember him? I know him personally. You may or may not get leaps and bounds better time will tell of course but he's the best shot you got.

PSU doesn't appear to be a going concern but if they do we'll also need to see how they fare because they always have a good deal of talented players on hand.

Portland State was the dirtiest football team not named Elon I have ever seen in the FCS.

slostang
April 20th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I really think if PSU drops their football program it would be a big loss for the Big Sky and the FCS in general. That being said, if they do drop it I see the Big Sky going to two 6 team divisions which would help with travel expenses for the remaining teams.

darell1976
April 20th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I really think if PSU drops their football program it would be a big loss for the Big Sky and the FCS in general. That being said, if they do drop it I see the Big Sky going to two 6 team divisions which would help with travel expenses for the remaining teams.

I thought they can't do divisions in the FCS.

slostang
April 20th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I thought they can't do divisions in the FCS.
They can have divisions, they just can not play championship games because they interfere with the playoffs.

With 12 teams they would divide into two divisions. You would play the five teams in your division each year and three teams from the other division every other year.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM
They can have divisions, they just can not play championship games because they interfere with the playoffs.

With 12 teams they would divide into two divisions. You would play the five teams in your division each year and three teams from the other division every other year.

As usual slostang nails it down here. There are not a lot of silver linings but this could be a good thing as far as the BSC goes if it were to happen.

darell1976
April 21st, 2014, 04:22 AM

Thats sounds good, but I suppose you would have co-champs if both division leaders had identical records. But I think the BSC doesn't have a tiebreaker anyways.

MR. CHICKEN
April 21st, 2014, 07:10 AM
Thats sounds good, but I suppose you would have co-champs if both division leaders had identical records. But I think the BSC doesn't have a tiebreaker anyways.

18939....EVERAH CONFERENCE...HAS TIE BREAKIN' RULES...........HERE'S...DUH BIG FLUFFY'S..........xreadxxrulesxxreadx.......AWK!

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/article_e813321a-1f32-11e2-b0bb-0019bb2963f4.html

superman7515
April 21st, 2014, 08:03 AM

That's not completely true. You can have divisions and you can have a conference championship game as long as you have at-least 12 teams, you just have to end your season one week earlier.

For example, in a 12-game season, you either:
a) play 11 games (3 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 3 teams from the other division) and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week) or;

b) play 12 games (4 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 3 teams from the other division), no bye-week, and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week) or;

c) play 11 games (4 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 2 teams from the other division), have a bye-week, and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week).

North:
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Weber State

South:
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly

Sample schedule A)
Aug 31: Montana @ Boise State
Sept 7: Montana vs Coastal Carolina
Sept 14: Montana vs Eastern Illinois
Sept 21: Montana @ Southern Utah
Sept 28: Montana vs Northern Arizona
Oct 5: Montana @ UC Davis
Oct 12: Bye
Oct 19: Montana vs Idaho State
Oct 26: Montana @ North Dakota
Nov 2: Montana vs Weber State
Nov 9: Montana @ Eastern Washington
Nov 16: Montana vs Montana State
Nov 23: Big Sky Conference Championship Game
Nov 30: Playoffs Rd 1 Weekend

Sample schedule B)
Sept 21: Montana vs The Citadel
Sept 28: Montana @ Southern Utah
Oct 5: Montana vs Northern Arizona
Oct 12: Montana @ UC Davis

Sample schedule C)

darell1976
April 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM
18939....EVERAH CONFERENCE...HAS TIE BREAKIN' RULES...........HERE'S...DUH BIG FLUFFY'S..........xreadxxrulesxxreadx.......AWK!

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/article_e813321a-1f32-11e2-b0bb-0019bb2963f4.html

First and foremost, the tiebreaker is in place solely to determine which team will receive the Conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Championship. If teams tie for the conference title, they will be co-champions.

So there is a tie breaker for the autobid, but NO tiebreaker for the conference title (like in the NFL). There are co-champs.

darell1976
April 21st, 2014, 08:27 AM
That's not completely true. You can have divisions and you can have a conference championship game as long as you have at-least 12 teams, you just have to end your season one week earlier.

For example, in a 12-game season, you either:
a) play 11 games (3 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 3 teams from the other division) and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week) or;

b) play 12 games (4 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 3 teams from the other division), no bye-week, and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week) or;

c) play 11 games (4 non-conference games, all 5 teams in your division, 2 teams from the other division), have a bye-week, and have your conference championship game in Week 13 (everyone else's final week).

North:
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Weber State

South:
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Sacramento State
UC Davis
Cal Poly

Sample schedule A)
Sept 21: Montana @ Southern Utah

Sample schedule B)
Sept 28: Montana @ Southern Utah
Oct 5: Montana vs Northern Arizona
Oct 12: Montana @ UC Davis

Sample schedule C)

I know when UND, and SUU joined for all sports there was talk about divisions for basketball and volleyball but nothing for football. I wouldn't see the harm of doing a division with all 13 teams.

West:

EWU
PSU
Sac St
UC Davis
Cal Poly
ISU
NAU

East:

UND
UNC
MSU
UM
SUU
WSU

Or a North-South like you suggested.

clenz
April 21st, 2014, 08:44 AM
So there is a tie breaker for the autobid, but NO tiebreaker for the conference title (like in the NFL). There are co-champs.
No conference has a tie break for a "conference champion". They all have it for the auto but no "champion", though I suppose the auto bid is "the" champion.

Same thing in pretty much all college sports. Basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc... all use a tie break system to determine the #1 seed in any conference tournament but the "champion" is always "split"

superman7515
April 21st, 2014, 09:21 AM
Or a North-South like you suggested.

I wasn't really suggesting to do it that way, just needed to show some sort of divisional break down to show how you can do the scheduling to make it work for a conference championship game.

The only option I dismiss right away is B, I don't think anyone should be giving up their bye-week. There are pro's & con's to all though.

Option A means you'll give up a non-conference game in the more prevalent 11-game seasons. You'll only have two, so for those schools who like to play two FBS games, that's your entire non-conference schedule. For those who like to pay to bring in three teams to make sure they have a schedule that is heavy on the home games, you'll have to give up the FBS games or give up on having 7 home games in an 11-game schedule.

Option C let's you keep the extra non-conference game, but the negative of this is that you would only see an opponent from the other conference in your stadium once every six years, instead of once every four, so there will be seniors graduating every year that never got a home game against a couple of teams.

Year 1:
Montana @ Northern Colorado
Montana vs Southern Utah

Year 2:
Montana @ Northern Arizona
Montana vs Sacramento State

Year 3:
Montana @ UC Davis
Montana vs Cal Poly

Year 4:
Montana vs Northern Colorado
Montana @ Southern Utah

Year 5:
Montana vs Northern Arizona
Montana @ Sacramento State

Year 6:
Montana vs UC Davis
Montana @ Cal Poly

So the conference would have to decide which was more important, more non-conference games, or having a cross-divisional opponent in your home stadium at least once every four years. Othe

Lehigh Football Nation
April 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Clenz is 100% correct, tiebreakers in FCS are only theoretically used to determine post-season autobids. Conference champions are determined by the conferences. Regular-season ties result in co-championships.

In practice, though, other things come into play when it comes to the schools recognizing "championships". When UCA was ineligible for the conference title and autobid but ended up with the best conference record, they had rings made up calling themselves SLC champions. Technically Lehigh claimed a co-championship in 2006 with Lafayette, but it sure didn't feel like one, losing the autobid to Lafayette on the final day of the regular season (49-27, a real blowout) and watching Lafayette head to the playoffs instead. There was no real celebration.

darell1976
April 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM
Clenz is 100% correct, tiebreakers in FCS are only theoretically used to determine post-season autobids. Conference champions are determined by the conferences. Regular-season ties result in co-championships.

In practice, though, other things come into play when it comes to the schools recognizing "championships". When UCA was ineligible for the conference title and autobid but ended up with the best conference record, they had rings made up calling themselves SLC champions. Technically Lehigh claimed a co-championship in 2006 with Lafayette, but it sure didn't feel like one, losing the autobid to Lafayette on the final day of the regular season (49-27, a real blowout) and watching Lafayette head to the playoffs instead. There was no real celebration.

UND won a share of the GWFC in 2011 even though Cal Poly beat UND. I always thought that co-champs are pointless. Just have one conference champ and the rest, well better luck next year.

Hammerhead
April 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM
What kind of crowds did PSU have when they were a D-II powerhouse?

It doesn't bode well when football attendance averages 5,148 and men's basketball averages 915 fans per game, (conference average is 2,463) according to the NCAA stats.

Laker
April 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM
What kind of crowds did PSU have when they were a D-II powerhouse?

It doesn't bode well when football attendance averages 5,148 and men's basketball averages 915 fans per game, (conference average is 2,463) according to the NCAA stats.

I found this on their history site for basketball. I remember being astounded that they wouldn't have men's basketball.

Portland State dropped basketball in 1981
for budgetary reasons, and the program remained
dormant for 15 years. But in 1996-97, behind great
support, Viking basketball returned to the Park Blocks.

Yotes
April 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
That basketball arena also only holds 2,000 people. They couldn't even hold the fans if there were people who wanted to come to the games.

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2014, 04:43 AM
That basketball arena also only holds 2,000 people. They couldn't even hold the fans if there were people who wanted to come to the games.

It's actually 1500. That's still bigger than Sac State's gym, though, which holds 1200.

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2014, 04:51 AM
No conference has a tie break for a "conference champion". They all have it for the auto but no "champion", though I suppose the auto bid is "the" champion.

Same thing in pretty much all college sports. Basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc... all use a tie break system to determine the #1 seed in any conference tournament but the "champion" is always "split"

That wasn't always true, though. The Big Sky didn't allow shared championships for quite a while until I believe sometime in the '90s. That's why Weber's conference title in 2008 was their first in 40 years—they tied for first in 1987, but lost the tiebreaker so it didn't count.

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2014, 04:53 AM
I found this on their history site for basketball. I remember being astounded that they wouldn't have men's basketball.

Portland State dropped basketball in 1981
for budgetary reasons, and the program remained
dormant for 15 years. But in 1996-97, behind great
support, Viking basketball returned to the Park Blocks.

Those were the exact years PSU was DII. I guess they thought playing DII basketball was beneath them. xdontknowx

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2014, 07:23 AM

Unusual but not unprecedented. Miami had no basketball team from 1971-85. NYU dropped basketball in 1971 and still stayed in Division I for another ten years after that.

clenz
April 22nd, 2014, 08:34 AM
That wasn't always true, though. The Big Sky didn't allow shared championships for quite a while until I believe sometime in the '90s. That's why Weber's conference title in 2008 was their first in 40 years—they tied for first in 1987, but lost the tiebreaker so it didn't count.
So...my point is still correct?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 22nd, 2014, 11:48 AM

He's adding additional information, not challenging your assertion.

clenz
April 22nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
He's adding additional information, not challenging your assertion.
Right.

I was making sure I was still correct. That's all.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Right.

I was making sure I was still correct. That's all.

You appear to be.xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2014, 06:14 PM

Yes, as far as I know. I was just pointing out that this didn't become true until relatively recently.

superman7515
October 11th, 2015, 07:19 PM
So I think Portland State football has bought themselves a little more time.

Catsfan90
October 11th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Maybe that's the secret to turning a program around?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Hasn't worked at Lafayette.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Dan McCarney probably wishes that PSU's football program would've folded before last Saturday.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 13th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Hey, I moved all those UND Baseball posts to the thread about UND Baseball. Can't for the life of me figure why it was put in the thread but from here on take em' over there where they fit a little better.

Go...gate
April 14th, 2016, 12:57 AM
The PSU programs appear to still be alive, correct?

JALMOND
April 14th, 2016, 01:21 AM
The PSU programs appear to still be alive, correct?

To quote Simple Minds, "Alive and Kicking".

Or to quote Mark Twain, "The details of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

The athletic program is in better shape, the university is in better shape than a couple years ago. We have strong support from the AD, and also the football program got a strong endorsement from the president of the university (Wiewel) last season. Nothing to worry in the near future.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 14th, 2016, 01:06 PM
To quote Simple Minds, "Alive and Kicking".

Or to quote Mark Twain, "The details of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

The athletic program is in better shape, the university is in better shape than a couple years ago. We have strong support from the AD, and also the football program got a strong endorsement from the president of the university (Wiewel) last season. Nothing to worry in the near future.

Really is a great turn of events for PSU. I would hate to see a BSC without them in it. BTW, that is one of the best travel experiences one should take in for a game. It is a really, truly fun place to go.

superman7515
May 13th, 2016, 09:07 PM
http://www.goviks.com/sports/2016/5/5/brand.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wIDZNCZPsE

PAllen
May 13th, 2016, 09:21 PM

Huh? FBS? Big XII invite? Or just ugly jerseys.

superman7515
May 13th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Supposed to be a rebranding effort, from what I understand. New jerseys will probably be a part of that.

POD Knows
May 14th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Do they really use the shorten "Viks" for their nickname. I guess I am used to the CORRECT abbreviation "Vikes". Get it together PSU.

mvemjsunpx
May 14th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Do they really use the shorten "Viks" for their nickname. I guess I am used to the CORRECT abbreviation "Vikes". Get it together PSU.

They've always done that.

JALMOND
May 14th, 2016, 03:39 PM
They've always done that.

My understanding is the Minnesota Vikings have a trademark on the term "Vikes". We were allowed to drop the "e".

PSU is pretty tight-lipped over what this announcement is going to be. Speculation is running rampant but it seems no one knows for sure. May be an interesting week coming up.

PAllen
May 14th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Return of the WAC with PSU, NMSU, TxSt, UTEP, UTSA, and Utah St.

Or, new jerseys.

Casey_Orourke
May 15th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Huh? FBS? Big XII invite? Or just ugly jerseys.

From what I read last year, they announced that at our annual "Wine and Roses fundraiser, they are unveiling a new Viking logo that has been designed by Nike.

PAllen
May 15th, 2016, 09:05 PM
From what I read last year, they announced that at our annual "Wine and Roses fundraiser, they are unveiling a new Viking logo that has been designed by Nike.

So ugly jerseys it is then.

JALMOND
May 16th, 2016, 08:06 PM

It would be a major letdown if that it all it is. "Ushering in a new era" somehow doesn't scream, "We have a new logo from Nike." I'd be waiting for Roundtree to say "Made ya look!" after that.

Casey_Orourke
May 16th, 2016, 08:40 PM
It would be a major letdown if that it all it is. "Ushering in a new era" somehow doesn't scream, "We have a new logo from Nike." I'd be waiting for Roundtree to say "Made ya look!" after that.

I think the new logo it is going to be one part of a larger announcement. The teaser shows more than just football, so it looks like something big is coming. We'll find out in 4 days.

Herder
May 16th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Is it 2016 already? Yes, then I guess it would time for the every 5 year total makeover in Portland. What's the color scheme going to be this time?

Casey_Orourke
May 17th, 2016, 12:13 AM
Is it 2016 already? Yes, then I guess it would time for the every 5 year total makeover in Portland. What's the color scheme going to be this time?

Barnum is an old school type of coach, so I figure he's going to insist keeping with the green and white.

laxVik
May 17th, 2016, 01:42 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22492&stc=1

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 20th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Has PSU made its big announcement yet? this link: http://www.goviks.com/sports/2016/5/5/brand.aspx still has a hype video, but not much information.

dbackjon
May 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Has PSU made its big announcement yet? this link: http://www.goviks.com/sports/2016/5/5/brand.aspx still has a hype video, but not much information.

@PSU_VIKINGS

PSU_VIKINGS (http://twitter.com/PSU_VIKINGS) PSU VIKINGS (http://twitter.com/PSU_VIKINGS) Today is the day! Check back at 7:30PM for our big announcement & live stream available @ https://t.co/xiuWVHWEpQ https://t.co/q3OSvteOHf

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Why so late

730 on a Friday night screams people will be disappointed with massive build up to nothing.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Why so late

730 on a Friday night screams people will be disappointed with massive build up to nothing.

Yes, this is a really odd way of doing things for sure. I am not sure why they would set themselves up to fail like this but so be it I guess.

dgtw
May 20th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Why so late

And in May, not a hot time for football interest.

JALMOND
May 20th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Why so late

It was to coincide with the Wine and Roses fundraiser tonight. No one still is saying anything, yet.

- - - Updated - - -

And in May, not a hot time for football interest.

Word is that it not only affects the football team, but all PSU sports.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
It's a logo and its horrendous

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 09:33 PM
The football uniforms are Michigan State down to the off matte helmet

ursus arctos horribilis
May 20th, 2016, 09:38 PM
It's a logo and its horrendous

There wasn't a doubt in my mind (and many people for that matter) that it was a new logo. Anyway, hope they and their fans like it. Don't know what it looks like yet but sure we all will soon enough.

JALMOND
May 20th, 2016, 09:40 PM
There wasn't a doubt in my mind (and many people for that matter) that it was a new logo. Anyway, hope they and their fans like it. Don't know what it looks like yet but sure we all will soon enough.

Exciting.xchinscratchx

laxVik
May 20th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Hmm. I....what...?

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 09:51 PM
The new primary mark

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/e2743d25e991c1f40b92cde527cb156f.jpg

New FB helmet. Video shows all green and all white uniforms
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/455d6670df2aed3a2e2866ecb06bb79c.jpg

Instantly looked familiar. Nike just went copy and paste from another Nike school with dark green, down to the off matte glossy helmet

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/df69c4b9ed2a5625dc2da7911ea06d9b.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/f1f6b98589947bda92ac35ddc45ccaea.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/26555994fda667e0875ac72cbcf577e6.jpg

JALMOND
May 20th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Link to where you can click on a video about the development of the logo. It actually makes sense, really.

https://twitter.com/PSU_VIKINGS/status/733847349034815492

I'm slowly beginning to like it.

clenz
May 20th, 2016, 09:55 PM
The alternate logo with the Viking head is aptly superior. Why the hell is a Post Script logo picked as the primary when that was an option?

Casey_Orourke
May 20th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Whatever you might think, it is a huge change from the old logo. I've seen and heard it referred to an either a futuristic motorcycle helmet or as a cartoonish representation of the horned viking sperm.

As far as colors go, when your primary colors are green and white, there probably isn't very many combinations that haven't already been done.

I too like the viking head. Maybe they will swap the two at a future date.

mvemjsunpx
May 21st, 2016, 01:04 AM
The new primary mark

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/e2743d25e991c1f40b92cde527cb156f.jpg

Go P8!!!! xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 21st, 2016, 01:08 AM
The alternate logo with the Viking head is aptly superior. Why the hell is a Post Script logo picked as the primary when that was an option?

Absolutely. When I first looked at JALMOND's link I thought holy **** that is bad (the PS) then I saw the logo of the viking and went "hell, that is pretty good, that must be what they are going with".

I'll have to watch the video to see what J is talking about but this is a sad, sad choice when you have both of these. It's like leaning over and picking up a pile of dog crap when there is a $100 bill as your other choice...and you walk away with the feces. What the hell?

I hate to trifle over stuff like this and I'm not making fun, or not trying to but I don't get the choice here at all.

TheValleyRaider
May 21st, 2016, 08:16 AM
I kinda like it.

I suspect the preference for the shield logo to the Viking came because schools like using letter logos for a primary mark. It doesn't look great on the helmet compared to the Viking, but I think it'll grow

PAllen
May 21st, 2016, 09:35 AM
I really like the Viking on the back of the stripe. That's near perfect. The PS? Well at least they left a nice space to add an "o" between the "P" and the"S".

As far as Nike copying their other work, have you seen their work for the various national teams over the last few cycles? I think that they only have three or four designs that they just plug your colors of choice into.

slostang
May 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
I like it.

JALMOND
May 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
I'm beginning to like it myself. It represents the fact that we are urban, we are different, we are Portland (and the quirkiness that idea represents). It separates us from the other Big Sky schools, as well as Eugene and Corvallis. It also represents aspects of the Viking history (the ship, the shield, the ancient alphabet). To me, its beginning to take shape as we are PSU, we are Vikings, we are us. I'd certainly wear it on my cap and shirt.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 21st, 2016, 02:45 PM
I'm beginning to like it myself. It represents the fact that we are urban, we are different, we are Portland (and the quirkiness that idea represents). It separates us from the other Big Sky schools, as well as Eugene and Corvallis. It also represents aspects of the Viking history (the ship, the shield, the ancient alphabet). To me, its beginning to take shape as we are PSU, we are Vikings, we are us. I'd certainly wear it on my cap and shirt.xthumbsupx

In other words J they made a marketing plan around something they designed and said this is what it represents and you are buying into the marketing.

Great.

But please, they didn't come up with the concept and then say "Now we need to design something that reps this!" C'mon man, how does that represent an urban existence. How is PSU's setting so much different than EWU, MT, MSU, or whatever else? It's a college in a town and even if it's a larger town, the actual college experience is fairly similar, the stadium setting is a little different but really, come on.

I think the Viking logo is fantastic. I don't hate the other one it just isn't as inspiring or have the "grab you" that the other one does. But really, I'm not gonna act like it says volumes about some new brand that PSU is putting out. It's a great place, that is it's brand and always has been.

CrazyCat
May 21st, 2016, 02:55 PM
An urban viking?

JALMOND
May 21st, 2016, 03:48 PM
In other words J they made a marketing plan around something they designed and said this is what it represents and you are buying into the marketing.

Great.

Isn't that the idea of a logo, however? This is what it represents and the fans buy into it? I mean, all the times I've walked the streets of Missoula, and walking to the stadium and fieldhouse, I've never had the notion that I would run in to a actual grizzly bear on my way. I've actually seen more bobcats than grizzly bears in Missoula (the four legged animals of course, not the two legged ones).

ursus arctos horribilis
May 21st, 2016, 04:14 PM
Isn't that the idea of a logo, however? This is what it represents and the fans buy into it? I mean, all the times I've walked the streets of Missoula, and walking to the stadium and fieldhouse, I've never had the notion that I would run in to a actual grizzly bear on my way. I've actually seen more bobcats than grizzly bears in Missoula (the four legged animals of course, not the two legged ones).

We didn't make up a marketing story about it dude and say "this is what it is all about and this is why it reps us".

Just some really silly made up crap, that is really unnecessary. You are already a fan, you don't need them to redefine why you are for you right? You don't really need them to convolute some meaning as to why there is a Viking in the middle of Portland. There just is and we are all fine with that. xlolx

Just seems pretty snake oil to me.

"Hey we have a new logo and this is it"

the appropriate responses would be "cool" or "I dislike it" but manufacturing some deeper menaing...cut the crap.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 21st, 2016, 04:16 PM
Not saying that couldn't/wouldn't happen if/when UM changes a logo either J. I'm saying when we do I will say "STFU with your stupid marketing/branding bull**** story you made up" just like I would for anyone else.

SDFS
May 21st, 2016, 04:55 PM
I like it - and it is a good sign for the school to see them invest into the athletics.

Casey_Orourke
May 22nd, 2016, 08:37 PM
We didn't make up a marketing story about it dude and say "this is what it is all about and this is why it reps us".

Just some really silly made up crap, that is really unnecessary. You are already a fan, you don't need them to redefine why you are for you right? You don't really need them to convolute some meaning as to why there is a Viking in the middle of Portland. There just is and we are all fine with that. xlolx

Just seems pretty snake oil to me.

"Hey we have a new logo and this is it"

the appropriate responses would be "cool" or "I dislike it" but manufacturing some deeper menaing...cut the crap.

Your comments made me think of this old cartoon by James Thurber in the New Yorker

"Well, don't come and look at the rainbow then, you big ape!"

(In case you have a hard time reading it)

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Your comments made me think of this old cartoon by James Thurber in the New Yorker

"Well, don't come and look at the rainbow then, you big ape!"

(In case you have a hard time reading it)

xlolx
I couldn't read it so appreciate the effort.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2016, 11:27 AM

+1

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 11:38 AM
Seriously...

This
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13226926_10154238270988872_8153296139412345184_n.j pg?oh=23a33a95fad5c795334cd4dfce32d8a1&oe=57E2C33D

is hot garbage with a nice made up story about using a shield on old alphabet.

Especially when this was an option
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13245350_10154238270993872_1891883588180563444_n.j pg?oh=dce1673ccd088d0ff6e33bc390d37e57&oe=57E1C502

Even that one has a strange negative space feel to the right side of it.

Also has a strange "I'm just a rebrand of HuHot Mongolian Grill" feel to it

http://www.avenueradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/HuHot.vert_logo.png

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2016, 11:44 AM
I know the first one is supposed to be a shield but it really looks like an owl to me.

I don't really have any big problem with either but just like #2 way better.

http://kids.sandiegozoo.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/animal_class_hero/great_horned_owl3.jpg

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 11:51 AM
Damn you, now that's all I see.

Also, why put that one on the football helmet when you could put the viking logo there?

They also don't know how a shield works/functions apparently.

Vikings used round shields. Kite shields didn't exist until after the true age of the vikings
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c7/10/58/c710587d2a98ebac6b7e9b7959909d8c.jpg

Also, that style shield apex to the up, not center, or stays flat across the top. Why the hell would a shield just v neck at the top? That's a terrible shield

https://www.wulflund.com/img/goods/en/medium/battle-ready-shield-with-leather-belt_2.jpg
http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/18/00/03/394.jpg

All further proof that the west coast should not be doing anything "Viking" related. Leave that to the upper midwest, where the Vikings actually called home and true Norseman actually live. Not some yuppie hipster wannabes live. If I wasn't so ingrained in my German hertiage I'd claim to be Norse/viking in a heart beat.

That'd make a great name for a Portland based school. Yuppie Hipsters

EDIT***

I'll make a small concession. The kite shield did manage to show up at the very tail end of the age of the true viking age - about the mid 11th century. The viking age was late 7th century through mid 11th century.

Though, viking kite shields were very tear drop in style
http://images.history-revisited.com/l/alias3/AH3967W-viking-norman-kite-shield-bayeux-tapestry-.jpg

Makes sense for yuppie hipsters to jump on something late and take what was "fashionable" at the time and find a way to to ruin it.

To be fair, the new viking head, not PS logo, is better than the nascar racing spaceman they tried to pass as a viking

Laker
May 23rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
If Lagertha came with this I'd buy one:

https://slm-assets1.secondlife.com/assets/12326466/lightbox/viking.jpg?1441913425

Laker
May 23rd, 2016, 12:11 PM
I think this would be a great emblem for PSU.

http://previews.123rf.com/images/sharpner/sharpner0811/sharpner081100017/3884409-The-Axe-Helmet-Shield-and-sword-of-Viking-Stock-Vector-medieval.jpg

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:14 PM
Something like that would have been outstanding

Libertine
May 23rd, 2016, 12:29 PM

Vikings used round shields. Kite shields didn't exist until after the true age of the vikings

+1

Thank you!

Although the larger question remains as to why is a school located in Portland, Oregon known as the Vikings in the first place?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2016, 12:40 PM
Damn you, now that's all I see.

Also, why put that one on the football helmet when you could put the viking logo there?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c7/10/58/c710587d2a98ebac6b7e9b7959909d8c.jpg

Also, that style shield apex to the up, not center, or stays flat across the top. Why the hell would a shield just v neck at the top? That's a terrible shield

https://www.wulflund.com/img/goods/en/medium/battle-ready-shield-with-leather-belt_2.jpg
http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/18/00/03/394.jpg

All further proof that the west coast should not be doing anything "Viking" related. Leave that to the upper midwest, where the Vikings actually called home and true Norseman actually live. Not some yuppie hipster wannabes live. If I wasn't so ingrained in my German hertiage I'd claim to be Norse/viking in a heart beat.

That'd make a great name for a Portland based school. Yuppie Hipsters

EDIT***

I'll make a small concession. The kite shield did manage to show up at the very tail end of the age of the true viking age - about the mid 11th century. The viking age was late 7th century through mid 11th century.

Though, viking kite shields were very tear drop in style
http://images.history-revisited.com/l/alias3/AH3967W-viking-norman-kite-shield-bayeux-tapestry-.jpg

Makes sense for yuppie hipsters to jump on something late and take what was "fashionable" at the time and find a way to to ruin it.

To be fair, the new viking head, not PS logo, is better than the nascar racing spaceman they tried to pass as a viking

You added to your post cuz after seeing the Lagertha post I started thinking "hey Vikings didn't use that kind of shield!" from what I've seen on the History Channel so I went and started looking it up. Come back and see your post quoted so now I don't need to make this one.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2016, 12:43 PM
+1

Thank you!

Although the larger question remains as to why is a school located in Portland, Oregon known as the Vikings in the first place?

Ducks & Beavers was already taken.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
You added to your post cuz after seeing the Lagertha post I started thinking "hey Vikings didn't use that kind of shield!" from what I've seen on the History Channel so I went and started looking it up. Come back and see your post quoted so now I don't need to make this one.
Yeah. I was hoping I was making changes fast enough. I was thinking of so many things after I hit submit that it was better to make as many changes as I could as fast as I could, rather than 4 or 5 posts in a row and be "that guy"

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 12:45 PM
An urban viking?

Versus a technoviking? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsntHcWiy4

Fits Portland too... xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2016, 12:45 PM
+1

Thank you!

I can answer this. The Pacific Northwest has a very strong Nordic heritage, with many families coming from Sweden, Norway, etc. I know because I have lots of aunts and uncles out there married to folks with the last name of Hanson, Olsson, etc. In that way it's similar to North Dakota, Minnesota, etc. with families with similar heritage.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
Ducks & Beavers was already taken.
Yuppie Hipsters

Other things more fitting than Vikings
Chinooks - homage to the state fish - Chinook Salmon
Tritons - homage to the ocean and state crustacean

I really should get into marketing

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
I can answer this. The Pacific Northwest has a very strong Nordic heritage, with many families coming from Sweden, Norway, etc. I know because I have lots of aunts and uncles out there married to folks with the last name of Hanson, Olsson, etc. In that way it's similar to North Dakota, Minnesota, etc. with families with similar heritage.
Less than 5% of Oregon is of Norse descent. The upper midwest is, on average, 25+% Norse. It's pretty much all Norse, German, Dutch and Swedes (NE Iowa, SE Minnesota and SW Wisconsin are often refereed to as Little Switzerland) around here.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Norwegians-in-NorthAmerica_-.png

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
Yuppie Hipsters

Other things more fitting than Vikings
Chinooks - homage to the state fish - Chinook Salmon
Tritons - homage to the ocean and state crustacean

I really should get into marketing

Urban Lumberjack Soccer Fans...."Plaid SJ Warriors"

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Urban Lumberjack Soccer Fans...."Plaid SJ Warriors"
Lumberjacks would have been great as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2016, 12:54 PM
descent

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Lumberjacks would have been great as well.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/78/95/dc/7895dc62a877ae961c2a58029808269e.jpg

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
descent
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7WTJMKUmzEcSOtvW/giphy.gif

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 01:02 PM
descent

http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/wtf/wtf014.gif

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 01:03 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/78/95/dc/7895dc62a877ae961c2a58029808269e.jpg
That's why it's ****ing perfect.

They are killing two birds with one stone.

Then again, hipsters probably don't like killing things. So...that would be brewing two micro brew pumpkin spice almond cherry IPAs with one still.

Then again, can't have two types of beers mixing.

God damn hipsters have to make everything so damn hard.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
That's why it's ****ing perfect.

They are killing two birds with one stone.

Then again, hipsters probably don't like killing things. So...that would be brewing two micro brew IPAs with with still.

Then again, can't have two types of beers mixing.

God damn hipsters have to make everything so damn hard.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/66141186.jpg

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 01:13 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/66141186.jpg
I literally want to punch him in the face until he stops being conscious and then continue until he wakes up and realizes how douchey he looks.

BisonFan02
May 23rd, 2016, 01:16 PM
I literally want to punch him in the face until he stops being conscious and then continue until he wakes up and realizes how douche he looks.

He's a lumberjack and hes o...wait a ****ing minute. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
Less than 5% of Oregon is of Norse descent. The upper midwest is, on average, 25+% Norse. It's pretty much all Norse, German, Dutch and Swedes (NE Iowa, SE Minnesota and SW Wisconsin are often refereed to as Little Switzerland) around here.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Norwegians-in-NorthAmerica_-.png

Note that Washington State is ~14-15% Norwegian, and much of that population in Oregon is most likely concentrated in Portland/northern coast. Northern Oregon more looks like Washington in that regard.

Talking about second-generation Oregonians/Portlandians and not recent hipsters of course

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Note that Washington State is ~14-15% Norwegian, and much of that population in Oregon is most likely concentrated in Portland/northern coast. Northern Oregon more looks like Washington in that regard.

Talking about second-generation Oregonians/Portlandians and not recent hipsters of course
Less than 8.5% of Oregon's population comes from the Scandinavian countries.

The largest ancestry groups in the state are:[124] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon#cite_note-124)

22.5% German (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American)
14.0% English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_American)
13.2% Irish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American)
8.4% Scandinavian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Americans): (4.1% Norwegian American (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_American), 3.1% Swedish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_American), & 1.2% Danish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_American))
5.0% American
3.9% French (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French-American)
3.7% Italian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian-American)
3.6% Scottish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish-American)
2.7% Scots-Irish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American)
2.6% Dutch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch-American)
1.9% Polish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-American)
1.4% Russian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian-American)
1.1% Welsh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh-American)

"2006–2008 American Community Survey 3-year estimates." (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-context=adp&-qr_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_DP3YR2&-ds_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_&-tree_id=3308&-redoLog=false&-_caller=geoselect&-geo_id=04000US41&-format=&-_lang=en) U.S. Census Bureau.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
11,890,524 Scandinavian Americans
3.8% of 311,591,917 US population -- Last updated June 11, 2012

[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Americans#cite_note-1))

Regions with significant populations

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Flag_of_Minnesota.svg/23px-Flag_of_Minnesota.svg.png Minnesota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Flag_of_California.svg/23px-Flag_of_California.svg.png California (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Flag_of_Washington.svg/23px-Flag_of_Washington.svg.png Washington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(state))

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Flag_of_Wisconsin.svg/23px-Flag_of_Wisconsin.svg.png Wisconsin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Flag_of_Illinois.svg/23px-Flag_of_Illinois.svg.png Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Flag_of_Michigan.svg/23px-Flag_of_Michigan.svg.png Michigan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Flag_of_Florida.svg/23px-Flag_of_Florida.svg.png Florida (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Flag_of_Oregon.svg/23px-Flag_of_Oregon.svg.png Oregon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Flag_of_Iowa.svg/22px-Flag_of_Iowa.svg.png Iowa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Flag_of_Utah.svg/23px-Flag_of_Utah.svg.png Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah)

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_10_5YR_B04003&prodType=table

Also, if we want to get technical, damn near none percent of the west coast Norse are Viking. Meanwhile the upper midwest Norse have a much higher likelihood of being viking

Catbooster
May 23rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
Based on a perusal of the data, it looks like Portland has more Scandinavians than Cedar Falls has Panthers. xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
Less than 8.5% of Oregon's population comes from the Scandinavian countries.

The largest ancestry groups in the state are:[124] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon#cite_note-124)

22.5% German (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American)
14.0% English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_American)
13.2% Irish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American)
8.4% Scandinavian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Americans): (4.1% Norwegian American (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_American), 3.1% Swedish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_American), & 1.2% Danish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_American))
5.0% American
3.9% French (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French-American)
3.7% Italian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian-American)
3.6% Scottish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish-American)
2.7% Scots-Irish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American)
2.6% Dutch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch-American)
1.9% Polish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-American)
1.4% Russian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian-American)
1.1% Welsh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh-American)

"2006–2008 American Community Survey 3-year estimates." (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-context=adp&-qr_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_DP3YR2&-ds_name=ACS_2008_3YR_G00_&-tree_id=3308&-redoLog=false&-_caller=geoselect&-geo_id=04000US41&-format=&-_lang=en) U.S. Census Bureau.

In Portland you get more of the same type of ethnicity as the rest of the state (about 10% Nordic, 12% Irish, 20% German), but when you go to the coast, like where my family is from, it is more like 17% Nordic, 14% Irish, 20% German. "Nordic descent" a fairly significant group in northern Oregon and Washington State. (Oddly enough, Finnish isn't listed as an ethnicity.)

My Pacific Nothwest heritage actually tails in perfectly to this breakdown: my grandmother was Irish descent, grandfather German descent xlolx. With Ancestry DNA we also apparently have some Nordic in there too - not a lot, but reportedly some.

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Based on a perusal of the data, it looks like Portland has more Scandinavians than Cedar Falls has Panthers. xpeacex
Ah, there are quite a few panthers seen through Iowa - remember a panther is another name for puma, mountain lion, cougar, jaguar, etc...

There's been 30 confirmed sightings of them in Iowa in the last 15-20 years. Plus a dozen plus tracks and thousands of other reports to the DNR. The IDNR guesses 95% of reports are mistaken identity. Even at 95% of 1,000 you're looking at hundreds of potential sightings in Iowa over a couple decades

Considering how elusive they are, that's a remarkable number

Laker
May 23rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
+1

Thank you!

History teacher that I am, I emailed Mike Lund, Associate Athletics Director - Media and Communications at PSU.

His prompt answer was:

"I don't have any documentation on origin of the nickname. Wish I did."

So, much like the Kensington Runestone, we still have a mystery on our hands.

dgtw
May 23rd, 2016, 04:42 PM
Tree hugging hipsters would have a cow (can vegans have cows?) if you called a team the Lumberjacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laxVik
May 23rd, 2016, 05:10 PM
Tree hugging hipsters would have a cow (can vegans have cows?) if you called a team the Lumberjacks.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThat'd be Lumberperson to be pc.

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2016, 05:57 PM
That'd be Lumberperson to be pc.
Lumber "non-binary genderfluid self-identifying as a unicorn with bathroom issues and goes by xhe" person

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
I think this would be a great emblem for PSU.

http://previews.123rf.com/images/sharpner/sharpner0811/sharpner081100017/3884409-The-Axe-Helmet-Shield-and-sword-of-Viking-Stock-Vector-medieval.jpg

Nope, there is "subtle" crosses on it, too Christian

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2016, 07:16 PM

Holy **** LFN, we might be related, I might have Nordic relatives that dropped seeds all over the place out there.

Catbooster
May 23rd, 2016, 11:06 PM
Ah, there are quite a few panthers seen through Iowa - remember a panther is another name for puma, mountain lion, cougar, jaguar, etc...

There's been 30 confirmed sightings of them in Iowa in the last 15-20 years. Plus a dozen plus tracks and thousands of other reports to the DNR. The IDNR guesses 95% of reports are mistaken identity. Even at 95% of 1,000 you're looking at hundreds of potential sightings in Iowa over a couple decades

Considering how elusive they are, that's a remarkable number

Upon further review, the call stands.

But you're right - I wouldn't have guessed there were that many sightings. xthumbsupx

clenz
May 23rd, 2016, 11:55 PM
Upon further review, the call stands.

But you're right - I wouldn't have guessed there were that many sightings. xthumbsupx

Also, far more panther sightings in Iowa than Vikings that ever got within 1,000 miles of Portland.

Iowa is seeing more and more tricking back into the state the last 20 years or so. They cover hundreds to thousands of miles in their "territory" and so the younger males that don't have a territory are being driven back into Iowa decades after being driven out. Almost every sighting has been a younger male. Hell, a few years ago one was killed in CT when hit by a car. It was tagged and it tracked back to western South Dakota. Given their nocturnal movements and stealth ability it's pretty tough to see them in Iowa it every year more and more farmers have cattle killed, or just go missing with signs of it being panther related.

Given how much ground they cover its not hard to believe there are a handful in Iowa right now. Only thing keeping it from more is the fact there's been no females. No need to chase them out of a territory for established males out west.

We also have had a black bear and Cubs sighting in the last year or so. Same situation as lions that end up here. Pushed from Wisconsin and Minnesota south. First black bear cubs in the state since he 1800s.

Catbooster
May 24th, 2016, 01:46 AM
I agree. Portland State should change their mascot to something more appropriate. Unlike the Spartans and Trojans, who apparently fought for territory all over North America, everyone knows the Vikings never got West of Minneapolis. xeyebrowx

PAllen
May 24th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I agree. Portland State should change their mascot to something more appropriate. Unlike the Spartans and Trojans, who apparently fought for territory all over North America, everyone knows the Vikings never got West of Minneapolis. xeyebrowx

Well, the Spartans would fit with the new uniforms. Heck, they could probably pick up some slightly used ones that would fit right in.

clenz
May 24th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Well, the Spartans would fit with the new uniforms. Heck, they could probably pick up some slightly used ones that would fit right in.
Yup....as I said, down to the off colored matte green helmet color being an exact match.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2016, 08:40 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Catbooster again.

clenz
May 24th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Difference is Portland State is talking about how the Viking is Portland history. Portland is a majority norse or whatever else.

Oh, also, schools using Trojans and Spartans actually put logo packages together that actually factually represent the likeness of Sparta and Troy and not some half assed "Vikings used shields so here's a "shield logo"" type representation.

Seriously, how many depictions of vikings have used a kite shield? Not only that, a kite shield that cuts out a massive area of protection from the top center of the shield?

PAllen
May 24th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Difference is Portland State is talking about how the Viking is Portland history. Portland is a majority norse or whatever else.

Oh, also, schools using Trojans and Spartans actually put logo packages together that actually factually represent the likeness of Sparta and Troy and not some half assed "Vikings used shields so here's a "shield logo"" type representation.

Seriously, how many depictions of vikings have used a kite shield? Not only that, a kite shield that cuts out a massive area of protection from the top center of the shield?

Art school doesn't teach history and advertising firms make $%^t up and throw it at the wall to see what sticks with the paying client. As bad as this is, I've seen many worse company spinoff names and logos in the last few years.

UAalum72
May 24th, 2016, 01:31 PM
All this talk of historic shields and nobody mentions that the Vikings didn't wear horned helmets in battle? Though I suppose their cool look makes up for lack of authenticity. Without the horns they'd just be pointy-headed college students. Or Coneheads.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Viking_Festival%2C_Delamont_County_Park%2C_June_20 12_%2817%29.JPG/1920px-Viking_Festival%2C_Delamont_County_Park%2C_June_20 12_%2817%29.JPG
By Ardfern - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19730470

clenz
May 24th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Horned helmets were a real thing, though not battle helmets by any means.

dgtw
May 24th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Maybe the could use Hagar the Horrible for a mascot.

POD Knows
May 24th, 2016, 07:50 PM

xbowx