PDA

View Full Version : FAMU vs. Miami 1979(Full game/Highlights)

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Just a little something I thought I'd share with you guys

I came across this footage of one of the most memorable games in FAMU history earlier today . FAMU, just coming off of winning the I-AA National Title, ranked #1 in I-AA and winners of 27 their previous 28 games, squared off against the Miami Hurricanes at Doak Campbell Stadium. The Rattler defeated the Hurricanes 16-13 in a physical game that came down to a FG...Miami, which ironically would benefit from a few wide rights against Florida State, would miss wide left to give FAMU the victory

This game carried a little extra meaning for some Rattler players as evidenced by this quote

"Some of us they never bothered to talk to," says A&M Lineman Kenny Parker, who played high school ball in Miami. "Some of the other guys, like me, they said were too small. But A&M showed interest, and Ruby Hubbard had confidence in us."

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSiu9YdC5X0

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Nice work bringing it into view here Dawg. Thanks man.

Yotes
April 15th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Never would have guessed FAMU even had a close game against Miami in the last 40 years. I'm guessing the gap between 1A and 1AA hadn't quite widened yet.

Sader87
April 15th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Never would have guessed FAMU even had a close game against Miami in the last 40 years. I'm guessing the gap between 1A and 1AA hadn't quite widened yet.

Taking nothing away from the Rattlers W in this game but Miami wasn't quite what "Miami" would become in the 1980s in 1979. That was Schellenberger's first year at Miami and they would end up 5-6.....again, a nice win but not on the order of App St beating Michigan etc

superman7515
April 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Miami had been Major College/D1 since 1946 (33 seasons), FAMU had been D1 since 1978 (1 season); it was still a pretty big win.

Sader87
April 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM
It was a very, very good win no doubt.....but Miami had been down for much of the 60s and 70s and really didn't become the program many think of as Miami until the early 80s onward.

BluBengal07
April 15th, 2014, 09:02 PM
i wish we could've heard the sound of the later part of the video.

thanks for finding and sharing.

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Fun Fact: FAMU's placekicker who kicked the eventual game winning FG in this game is Vince Coleman..he played 12 seasons in the Major Leagues, was named NL Rookie of the Year in 1985 and is sixth all time in stolen bases

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Taking nothing away from the Rattlers W in this game but Miami wasn't quite what "Miami" would become in the 1980s in 1979. That was Schellenberger's first year at Miami and they would end up 5-6.....again, a nice win but not on the order of App St beating Michigan etc

This article written in 1979 was featured in Sports Illustrated...it sort of touches on why this game was so important to FAMU fans...the Rattlers were still underdogs heading into this game. It's not quite App State over Michigan, but it holds a special place in many old school FAMU fans hearts...today was the first time that many FAMU fans had seen this video in nearly 40 years

Some people believe that this game was the real turning point for the Miami football program

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095492/1/index.htm

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Nice work bringing it into view here Dawg. Thanks man.

No prob...just wanted to share a piece of I-AA/FCS football history with the football fans here...I'm trying to find the 1978 National Championship Game footage online...FAMU had been rebroadcasting the game on the university's television channel in recent years

If I ever find it online or am able to upload it, I will post it

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2014, 11:33 PM
No prob...just wanted to share a piece of I-AA/FCS football history with the football fans here...I'm trying to find the 1978 National Championship Game footage onlie...FAMU had been rebroadcasting the game on the university's television channel in recent years

That would be sweet if you come across it.

DFW HOYA
April 16th, 2014, 06:01 AM
It may be hard to believe now, but in 1979 there were only three I-A schools in the state. Tampa had dropped I-A football five years earlier, and there was pressure on Miami to do the same before they brought in Schnellenberger as the 'last chance" to turn the program around. UCF had just started a Division III program, and football was absent at USF, FAU, and FIU.

Had FAMU made a commitment to play major college football then, things might have been quite different.

Sader87
April 16th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I remember watching that 1978 1-AA Championship against UMass live on TV Big Dawg. That was a very good UMass team...they beat the hell out of a Holy Cross team that had beaten Air Force, Army and BC that year. Love to see clips from that again.

caribbeanhen
April 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Fun Fact: FAMU's placekicker who kicked the eventual game winning FG in this game is Vince Coleman..he played 12 seasons in the Major Leagues, was named NL Rookie of the Year in 1985 and is sixth all time in stolen bases

Vince Coleman kicking.... never would of guessed that one, thanks for sharing Perro Grande.... just tell me VC also got to touch the football some, that guy was a burner on the base paths, got run over by the Tarp roll as well prior to a WS game circa 1985

major095
April 23rd, 2014, 10:11 PM
It may be hard to believe now, but in 1979 there were only three I-A schools in the state. Tampa had dropped I-A football five years earlier, and there was pressure on Miami to do the same before they brought in Schnellenberger as the 'last chance" to turn the program around. UCF had just started a Division III program, and football was absent at USF, FAU, and FIU.

Had FAMU made a commitment to play major college football then, things might have been quite different.

Now that's the 25k statement/question. What if FAMU, and or grambling had decided to go up when the split came? they both were winning games against the big boys back then. So here we sit 40 years later and still not one has moved up and currently all are locked out of fbs ball. There about 6 or 7 of them that I think could move up and find some level of success, famu being among them if they can get their financials in order.

AshevilleApp2
April 25th, 2014, 09:37 AM
No prob...just wanted to share a piece of I-AA/FCS football history with the football fans here...I'm trying to find the 1978 National Championship Game footage online...FAMU had been rebroadcasting the game on the university's television channel in recent years

That would be cool. Just don't show the film of the playoff game in Boone in 1999. Please.

bluehenbillk
April 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM
It's a shame the MEAC could go from the penthouse to irrelavancy in those three decades that followed...