PDA

View Full Version : Bison Lose By 1

No_Skill
October 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
Great game. Our team came to play and had a chance to win it with a 42 yrd field goal with 0:01 left on the clock. Blocked.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Dare I say the better team did not win? xsmileyclapx

crunifan
October 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
What is it with these sucky I-A teams (Minnesota, Kansas State, and Iowa State) getting lucky and winning by 1 point?

Jacks99
October 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
NDSU really needs to get better teams on their schedule to warrant their ranking :eyebrow:

Bisonforlife
October 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah another opponent with an under .500 recordxcoffeex

No_Skill
October 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah another opponent with an under .500 recordxcoffeex

True, we will likely drop out of the polls this week. We got beat by a weak team on our weak schedule.

GOKATS
October 21st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Great effort by NDSU!!!

No_Skill
October 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
I just noticed on ESPN that some of our former opponents did quite well today.

Our opponents in bold (the first one is my favorite):

#1 App St. 27 @ GSU 20 - 2OT
#7 New Hampsire 35 @ Northeastern 36 - OT
MVSU 20 @ Texas Southern 18

redspider
October 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Good job NDSU you guys showed that you are a top caliber team.

Gil Dobie
October 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
I just noticed on ESPN that some of our former opponents did quite well today.

Our opponents in bold (the first one is my favorite):

#1 App St. 27 @ GSU 20 - 2OT
#7 New Hampsire 35 @ Northeastern 36 - OT
MVSU 20 @ Texas Southern 18

Northeastern isn't exactly the mediocre team people were thinking early in the season when the Bison beat them.

JohnStOnge
October 22nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Judging from the game story and the box score that was a real "coulda shoulda" for the Bison.

th0m
October 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Northeastern isn't exactly the mediocre team people were thinking early in the season when the Bison beat them.

I have to admit I thought N'eastern was really very bad, especially after their loss to us, but their close game against Richmond as well as their W against Delaware (I know, Delaware is not the top A-10 team, but it's still regarded as a good W) and now against UNH shows that maybe the JMU game was a bit lopsided for both teams with JMU prob hitting their stride (plus having had a bye week and an L handed to us by ASU) and N'eastern being roadweary and being behind a couple of scores early. The A-10 North looked to be about UMass or UNH, but as of late Maine and N'eastern seem to want to spoil some of their parties.

As far as the Bison go, I've been impressed with them all season and a win against Minnesota would have been huge, losing a game like that must be extremely frustrating. I guess a lot of us can be glad that you guys aren't playoff eligible yet. Does NDSU recruit from the same areas as Minnesota? I didn't know there was this much of passion against Minnesota by NDSU fans, which I guess would have made a victory even sweeter.

Gil Dobie
October 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
As far as the Bison go, I've been impressed with them all season and a win against Minnesota would have been huge, losing a game like that must be extremely frustrating. I guess a lot of us can be glad that you guys aren't playoff eligible yet. Does NDSU recruit from the same areas as Minnesota? I didn't know there was this much of passion against Minnesota by NDSU fans, which I guess would have made a victory even sweeter.

Being on the ND/MN border, approx 40% of the NDSU students come from Minnesota and the same percentage of the Football team, 33 players I believe. Several of the NDSU players were offered to walk-on at Minnesota. NDSU has 2 Minnesota High School Player-of-the-Year's.

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Curious, do you guys think Minnesota will try to buy out of the 07 contract with NDSU?

NDSU turned the Metrodome into an away game for Minnesota. NDSU beat Minnesota in every phase of the game on the field.

The only sector of the game where Minnesota won was at the ticket counter with 62k+ tickets sold.

Hammersmith
October 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
The only sector of the game where Minnesota won was at the ticket counter with 62k+ tickets sold.
That alone will cause them to want the game more than ever.

As for the threat of defeat, they'll just think lightning can't strike twice.

JackJD
October 22nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
No chance MN will try to buy the game out. They'd never live that down. Best for the Gophers to remember what happened and then try to beat the Bison badly. BUT, I wouldn't bet on it. The Bison will have another year in the transition which means some of those extra scholarship players are now coming into their own. I think the Bison will do nothing but improve while the Gophers, a mature program now facing the potential for having a few scholarships cut due to poor academic performance, do not seem to have the same potential for improvement.

I loved the Gopher Ass't Coach's post-game interview comment: his team had better have the same attitude that NDSU displayed, when the Gophers face The Ohio State U next week or it's going to be a long game for the Gophers.

Best case: Gophers show well against the Buckeyes...makes the Bison look that much better.

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
You meant Northeastern 38? Or did UNH miss PAT or 2PT in OT??

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'm sure UM will keep the contract. ISU has been beat by us before and continues to schedule us.

I heard UM's coach on the radio in Ohio discussing next week's game against OSU. He very quickly dodged questions about the NDSU game. All he said was "Most of those players we from Minnesota and wanted to prove something to us."

LakesBison
October 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
what an AWESOME site at the METRODOME!! 20,000 + green !!!

we DOMINATED and lost.. how SAD!!

but Minnesota will be a NDSU state.. .you watch!!!

OL FU
October 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
If I had one wish as a I-AA fan, it would be that NDSU could participate in the playoffs in 2006. :nod:

As a possible participant in those playoffs I am damn glad that I don't have that one wish:o

NorthDakotaBison
October 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I hear you OL FU.

If you are a fan of competition, you've gotta wanna see NDSU play your team.

OL FU
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
I hear you OL FU.

If you are a fan of competition, you've gotta wanna see NDSU play your team.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Yep, my last sentence was a joke. I always want the best teams in the playoffs and NDSU should be there.

BisonBacker
October 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
This comment by NDSU's head coach is why we are where we are. We have a dam good coach and good players also. Proud to be a Bison.:hurray:

Seven Would Be Nice
October 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Ya'll are a better team then the App state we played Saturday.

Ya'll manhandled us, and App State was very beatable.

Are you playoff eldgible next year?

WYOBISONMAN
October 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ya'll are a better team then the App state we played Saturday.

Ya'll manhandled us, and App State was very beatable.

Are you playoff eldgible next year?

Not until 2008.........so we gotta wait through this year and next. That is why MN was kind of like our "Bowl Game". Now we have to work on winning the GWFC for the first time.......

MrTitleist
October 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM

The only reason Minnesota sold that many tickets was because they had to buy a ticket to this game in order to get tickets to the Iowa game coming up.

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
I watched the scores closely at the bottom of my TV screen, good job there NDSU, I was pulling for you guys...cool uniforms by the way.

NorthDakotaBison
October 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
The only reason Minnesota sold that many tickets was because they had to buy a ticket to this game in order to get tickets to the Iowa game coming up.

that is incorrect. only out-of-state ticket purchasers were required to buy NDSU tickets with Iowa ones.

there were a number of people, like myself that bought tickets from Hawkeye fans.

it had nothing to do with the fact that there were probably 20,000 Bison fans in attendance.........................

blueballs
October 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Congrats to NDSU.

Having seen NDSU and Appalachian State in person against a common opponent in the past month, w/o a doubt NDSU is at least two scores better than ASU. This is not smack against ASU but NDSU is that good. There is no doubt in my mind that NDSU would be a serious NC contender if given the chance to participate.

They are an extremely smart, well coached, fundamentally sound and extremely physical team. I didn't see any weaknesses.

bison95
October 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Great game, Great fans, and a loss. I believe there are no moral victories but I do believe I saw a great I-AA football team out play a Big 10 opponent. Those players left it all on the field, and the fans left it in the stands! Too bad they don't cheer like that in the Fargo Dome: smh : . After the blocked field goal, I sayed standing for a moment cheering for the effort of the Bison, I then looked down at my 7 year old son (Who had been cheering like a wild man all game, and was standing on his seat during the kick) who was sitting in his seat with his head down and tears running down his face:bawling: . I sat with him for a while, as he said they deserved to win. I got tears in my eyes, knowing that my boy has the Bison Pride to care that much about the players. We talked about how great they played and how they left everything on the field, and proved they belonged there when everyone said they didn't. Before we got up to leave he said when I'm a Bison we'll beat these guys!

On the train back to the car i spoke with some Knowledgeable Gopher fans. They were impressed with #1 our coach #2 the fans #3 the Defense and "the unbelievable linebackers #4 Walker. To quote one fan " I like Cupito, he is great, but your guy is amazing, he would be the 2nd best QB in the big 10 behind Smith".

On the 5 hour ride back home, I listened to many radio shows, Foxs Sports took a call from a Goofer, who refered to us as D2 and the host stopped him and said "know your football, they are I-AA"!:hurray: :hurray: After 10pm the Bison got love 3 times for the game they played.

Great game Players, Coaches, and Fans!

BISON PRIDE

AmsterBison
October 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM

Some of our fans are getting a little ahead of themselves in their excitement but that's no reason to say something like that. The Metrodome was rocking.

NDSU brought more fans to the Metrodome than anybody expected and next year, who knows?

http://web.mac.com/nnerenz/iWeb/bisongophers06/gametime_files/PA210099.jpg

bison95
October 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
The upper deck above that picture was full of bison fans for 5 sections. I only saw one Goopher fan cheering for his team and 7,000 of us.

GrizFoo
October 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Great job Bison. I personally think that game probably did great things for recruiting; not only for the Bison but I-AA in general. MN is a state I'd like to see a few more athletes with interest in the MT schools. I'm clueless about the state's football, other than the Gophers.

Dabnus Brickey
October 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
I always pull for the I-AA team in those matchups. We got it right over here!!! Playoffs, cool uniforms, and people like us talking about it.