PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern goes to 7-0

CSUBUCDAD
October 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
The Bucs overcame a very uncommon 4 interceptions by Collin Drafts to win a tough fought game over a very well prepared VMI team. VMI known for it's run game came out throwing and caught the Buc secondary a little off guard. VMI secondary was very well prepared and really challenged Drafts all day. One key play that put the Bucs up by two TD's midway through the third was a 3rd and long pass from Drafts to Price that went 79 yards for a touchdown.
Final CSU 27 VMI 22.

TexasTerror
October 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
Charleston Southern may very well become the next San Diego of AGS before it's all said and done...

bosshogg
October 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM
better hope you can keep that coach there

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Congrats to Chuck.

CSU BUCS
October 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM
12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row

Count 'em that's 12 I don't care who it's against that's 12 wins in a row for who I say who?................. Charleston Southern................that's right you heard right Charleston Southern.

youwouldno
October 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
No kidding. CCU almost had a huge letdown game but that doesn't mean a close win over VMI is something to brag about. Far, far, far from it.

The real question is this: is the win over terrible VMI CSU's 2nd or 3rd best win. Here is my list:

1) Citadel. CSU takes down, in OT, the remarkable 2-5 Citadel.

2) Presbyterian. A good D-II team.

3) VMI. Terrible I-AA team.

Now things get hard. The other 4 wins only include 1 D-I win, and that's the worst team in I-AA, joke Savannah State. Of course, there was that amazing 20-17 win over WINGATE and a 20-10 shellacking of... NORTH GREENVILLE.

Honestly, anyone bragging over that list of achievements should be banned from this board. Well probably they should forever be banned from speaking about football but we can't do that.

GOTOREROS
October 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row 12 in a row

Count 'em that's 12 I don't care who it's against that's 12 wins in a row for who I say who?................. Charleston Southern................that's right you heard right Charleston Southern.

Congrats on 12 in a row.........San Diego goes for #15 in a row tonight and 23 out of its last 24....could be a tough one tonight for USD.

GOTOREROS

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM
lets break down those mammoth 12 wins, shall we:

West Virginia Weslyan, a D2 (I hope)
Savannah State
Gardner-Webb
Liberty
Coastal Carolina
Presbyterian, a D2 to whom you had previously lost 11 straight The Citadel
Wingate, D2
North Greenville, D2
Savannah State
Ed Waters, NAIA
VMI

So, thats 4 Division 2 teams, 2 Savannah State games and one NAIA in your 12 game "streak"...congratulations...you should be proud of that competitive schedule. xcoffeex

IaaScribe
October 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Ed Waters is NAIA. Even worse.

LBPop
October 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
Congratulations to Charleston Southern. Will be down next Saturday to see the 1-6 Hoyas vs. the 7-0 Bucs. As a Georgetown fan, I would gladly accept the criticism of having a soft schedule rather than the burden of a terrible record. Please be kind to us po' yankees, would ya?

So, are the crowds growing as the streak grows? If I'm gonna make that trip, I want to hear some real loud fans. I suspect there will be a few of us dressed in Blue & Gray, but I don't know if we'll have a lot to cheer about. : smh :

youwouldno
October 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM
LBPop- don't be so pessimistic. Georgetown will be well above the average opponent CSU has faced.

MarkCCU
October 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
yeah, but that trip to Wilmington for that Miller Motte game will be brutal xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

wILMINGTON, SHOOT BOY they don't gotta go 10 miles, it's in GOose Creek:p

MarkCCU
October 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
I didn't know Miller Motte had a Wilmington campus. There's one here in Charleston too. Wow...talk about a recruiting war!!!

Maybe CSU could play DeVry?

By the way, coastal89...i'm diggin' the photo. Some of my friends down here in Charleston look at that and say things like, "I should have gone to Coastal!" We have some lovely ladies on our campus, don't we?

yes we do

maybe now that Troy has an extension here CSU could play them. at least they aren't El Cid, where they play for money. I just spoke with a Cadet fball player and they were payed $450,000 after losing Texas A&M, they'd get just traveling expenses if they won

rokamortis
October 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
they'd get just traveling expenses if they won

wow. that shouldn't be part of the contract.

CSU BUCS
October 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Not bragging…………

If you guys can’t use common sense and realize the great strides this program has taken well………..I could care less.

I do recall all the nay sayers saying PC would thump us, Citadel would show us, and “the wining will stop when they meet VMI”

I find this thread quit comical now………..
Keep bashing

kirkblitz
October 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Not bragging…………

If you guys can’t use common sense and realize the great strides this program has taken well………..I could care less.

I do recall all the nay sayers saying PC would thump us, Citadel would show us, and “the wining will stop when they meet VMI”

I find this thread quit comical now………..
Keep bashing

we dont really need to insult you as coastal fans, thats our players jobs :smiley_wi

Coastal89
October 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Atleast you do accept winning with more class than USD fans.

Linehawg
October 21st, 2006, 11:32 PM
The two close losses two weeks in a row seem be the result of VMI finally getting starters back into the lineup, a freshmen-heavy roster finding their rythym, and the new Coach (Jim Reid) finally getting his way of doing things to work. I'm still VMIs biggest critic not really a fan of their "lose with Grace" approach to football and only hope Coach Reid is starting to turn things around. These last two game against Coastal and CCU (top in the BIg South) are encouraging.

rokamortis
October 22nd, 2006, 05:39 AM
Not bragging…………

I'm a big CSU fan for the next 3 weeks.

It is great what CSU has done, but that is only relative to your school and history. You need to put it into perspective of what everyone else in I-AA has done as well. What CSU has accomplished thus far is barely a blip on the I-AA radar screen. Schedule tougher teams and people won't have an argument if you continue your winning ways.

dungeonjoe
October 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM
I'm a big CSU fan for the next 3 weeks.

It is great what CSU has done, but that is only relative to your school and history. You need to put it into perspective of what everyone else in I-AA has done as well. What CSU has accomplished thus far is barely a blip on the I-AA radar screen. Schedule tougher teams and people won't have an argument if you continue your winning ways.
It is interesting how our perspectives change, ain't it Rocka? Your post is a very good observation and a great word for all who are enjoying recent success.

rokamortis
October 22nd, 2006, 05:46 AM
It is interesting how our perspectives change, ain't it Rocka? Your post is a very good observation and a great word for all who are enjoying recent success.

Yes, I've learned a couple of things in the past couple of years :read:

CSUBUCDAD
October 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
As I stated in one of my first posts on this forum, Jay Mills is working very hard to get some quality teams scheduled now that his system is in place and the the players attitude is where it should be as a football team. That is why my sig says CSU will play anyone, anytime, anywhere. I know as well as any CSU fan that you have to start somewhere, and Mills was that start. But, having said that, I also know that 12 wins is 12 wins no matter how you slice it and I will not minimize the importance of that in building a winning tradtion at a school who has been a bottom dweller since the program started.

And yes, the crowds now are huge by CSU norms. Stands were nearly full Still working on getting them to stop sitting on their hands when the opposition has the ball, but we are getting there. You know how it is with folks who are used to NOT having anything to cheer about, takes a bit for them to realize nobody cares if they go a little nuts when we score a touchdown or make a great defensive stop. They were pretty loud yesterday so I am encouraged by that.

rokamortis
October 22nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
As will be said repeatedly - 12 wins is nice but against weak competition doesn't really mean much to anyone besides the Bucs. Also, I think the Bucs need to upgrade the schedule before you start declaring that they will play anyone. The next step is to play all I-AA competition, ideally with a few top 25 programs.

Dabnus Brickey
October 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
Very true, rocka...you're a wise man...

CSUBUCDAD
October 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
As will be said repeatedly - 12 wins is nice but against weak competition doesn't really mean much to anyone besides the Bucs.

And right now that is all it needs to matter to.

Also, I think the Bucs need to upgrade the schedule before you start declaring that they will play anyone. The next step is to play all I-AA competition, ideally with a few top 25 programs.

That is more me saying that than anything, but Mills is looking. Somebody in the top 25 step up and take the offer. I am sure he has approached teams like App St., Wofford, Furman, Georgia Southern and more. Apparently no takers as of yet.

CSU BUCS
October 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Bucdad a 4 year deal with wofford starts next year.

SoccerSmells
October 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
CSU hasn't approached anyone in the SoCon about playing other than their brethren down the street in Ole' Charlestown.

Reality check pops. You're team is working with smoke, mirrors and at times a healthy dose of understimation from the opposition.

CSU BUCS
October 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
CSU hasn't approached anyone in the SoCon about playing other than their brethren down the street in Ole' Charlestown.

Reality check pops. You're team is working with smoke, mirrors and at times a healthy dose of understimation from the opposition.
If you don't know............Don't talk.

SoccerSmells
October 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Nevermind. I'm told Charleston Southern is really a Top 25 team and that everyone else is just stupid.

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
That is more me saying that than anything, but Mills is looking. Somebody in the top 25 step up and take the offer. I am sure he has approached teams like App St., Wofford, Furman, Georgia Southern and more. Apparently no takers as of yet.

Unfortunately Coastal's showing in Boone doesn't help you guys

Coastal89
October 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately Coastal's showing in Boone doesn't help you guys
Do you really think it is our showing in Boone that hurts they? It just might be their 1-17 history against the Socon or their 8-24 record against the D-II SAC Conference.

CCU97
October 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
OK...but wins against Furman and Wofford don't count huh? Would love for Crappy St to have the balls to come down to Myrtle and see how well they play....at least Furman and JMU had the guts to play us at home...sure we got it handed to us up in Boone...lots of teams do...that is a tired excuse from last year...the teams in the BSC are having decent years for their programs and where they are in advancing the programs...sooner or later the fans of App St will make the trip to Myrtle and leave just like the rest...with a L on your record....I tip my hat to Elon for coming into Myrtle and winning the game...only home loss in the past two years....

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
OK...but wins against Furman and Wofford don't count huh? Would love for Crappy St to have the balls to come down to Myrtle and see how well they play....at least Furman and JMU had the guts to play us at home...sure we got it handed to us up in Boone...lots of teams do...that is a tired excuse from last year...the teams in the BSC are having decent years for their programs and where they are in advancing the programs...sooner or later the fans of App St will make the trip to Myrtle and leave just like the rest...with a L on your record....I tip my hat to Elon for coming into Myrtle and winning the game...only home loss in the past two years....

Elon in one hand, 30-3 in the other, sounds like you are a little confused

You can't beat Elon at home, and you are talking crap to ASU???:confused:

CCU97
October 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
No just stating a fact....you guys were too scared to come play Coastal at home....Elon played a good game and Coastal played horrible....Still say it wouldn't even be close to the 30-3 drubbing we got in Boone...if you guys won it would be by 7 or less in Myrtle...I mean hell you are the all mighty App St and could barely beat GSU this year.....for such a great team you should have destroyed them...but I imagine you know that already....you guys take from a post what you want....and try to twist it...which is fine if this were a political campaign....but plain and simple we play good at home and have difficulty on the road...always have....would love to see the might App St team come to Myrtle in the near future and if December's vote goes as expected....it will happen before you know it...

The Cats
October 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Charleston Southern may very well become the next San Diego of AGS before it's all said and done...

I think they are already there. post for post.

CSU BUCS
October 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
....you guys take from a post what you want....and try to twist it...

And you guys don't:rolleyes:

CSUBUCDAD
October 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
OK, App we have a 4 year with Wofford starting next year is that good enough to start with or do we need to schedule the USC Trojans first???

OL FU
October 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Congrats to Charleston Southern.

Forgetting anything else, they have done the absolute best possible with the schedule they have..........xsmileyclapx :twocents:

AppGuy04
October 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
OK, App we have a 4 year with Wofford starting next year is that good enough to start with or do we need to schedule the USC Trojans first???

its a start IMO, but for your own sake, get the DII's off the schedule unless absoloutely necessary, and please take the NAIA's out of the rolodex

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM

Hoyas travel to Charleston Saturday. Their 2006 story is much the same as 2005: decent defense, but no offense. Hoyas enter the game 112th of 116 teams in scoring offense (12 ppg), with three TD's in the first half all season. The big stat is turnovers, with 19 fumbles (nine lost), and a -14 in net turnovers. :bang:

Defensively, the pass defense is down from last year's #4 ranking, down to 53rd, but the defense can still keep things close through three quarters.

CCU97
October 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
And you guys don't:rolleyes:

I personally don't can't speak for anyone else.....I look at it as Coastal is an above average team that still has some proving to do...we may squeek into the playoffs this year if we win out...and that will be great....but I don't expect much from them in the playoffs if by some chance they make it. Just being realistic....

LBPop
October 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
LBPop- don't be so pessimistic. Georgetown will be well above the average opponent CSU has faced.
Hard to stay positive as a Hoya supporter these days, but that doesn't mean that we hard core fans have stopped cheering. From what I hear, CS has some serious players...particularly on offense. Looking forward to seeing first hand. :nod:

gobucknell06
October 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
I respect Charleston Southern's winning streak. Congrats to them. However, they have 4 tough games left for them.

My prediction:

Georgetown 14-21 L :o
Gardner-Webb 7-35 L :bawling:
Liberty 20-22 L :bawling: :bawling:
Coastal 21-25 L :bawling:

So, yeah, I think Charletson Southern ends up 7-4. Maybe 8-3.

But, hey they should still be proud of the winning streak.

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Hard to stay positive as a Hoya supporter these days, but that doesn't mean that we hard core fans have stopped cheering.

I don't know--I think it's OK to stay positive in a realistic way, mindful this may be a two win team when it's all said and done. Whatever happens, Kelly needs to settle on a QB for 2007 sooner rather than later--the constant shifting of QB's (eight different starters since 2003) offers no stability.

Of course, there is also the realization that Georgetown trades in Columbia and Brown on the schedule for road games next year at Penn and at Yale, and must play both Holy Cross and Lehigh on the road in 2007. But that's for the off-season to worry about!