PDA

View Full Version : Off-season Prediction Thread 2014

Mattymc727
April 10th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Alright boys, lets see if any of us can predict whats going to happen this upcoming season. It may just make for some good laughs come December too. Ill go first:

There will be a new champion this year. NDSU will not four-peat.

The CAA will be the best conference this year, surpassing the MVFC.

Chattanooga will not make the playoffs again.

DFW HOYA
April 10th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Lehigh-Lafayette will draw just short of 40,000 at Yankee Stadium on Nov. 22, 2014.

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Lehigh-Lafayette will draw just short of 40,000 at Yankee Stadium on Nov. 22, 2014.

and NOBODY else will care.

Professor Chaos
April 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I predict that there will be several 4 and 5 loss teams whining about being left out of the playoffs.

chattownmocs
April 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM
-Everyone's darling Mercer will go winless in the SOCON

- - - Updated - - -

-Chattanooga's Dline will go down as one of the best in FCS history.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 10th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Alright boys, lets see if any of us can predict whats going to happen this upcoming season. It may just make for some good laughs come December too. Ill go first:

There will be a new champion this year. NDSU will not four-peat.

The CAA will be the best conference this year, surpassing the MVFC.

Chattanooga will not make the playoffs again.

"The Field" is a pretty good bet any year but there would be few who would be surprised if NDSU pulled it off.

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM

- - - Updated - - -

and miss the playoffs......

Mattymc727
April 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
"The Field" is a pretty good bet any year but there would be few who would be surprised if NDSU pulled it off.

I think Im in the minority in that prediction too. NDSU will be top ten for sure (maybe semi-finals), but im thinking someone else raises the banner. The only thing that has me second guessing an NDSU four-peat is the change at QB. I think Brock Jensen is just a winner, and I dont know if the new guy is the same. Only time will tell.

chattownmocs
April 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
and miss the playoffs......

doubtful

Mattymc727
April 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM
doubtful

So Chattown, can we mark you down right now as predicting Chattanooga will win the title? Its never too early.

chattownmocs
April 10th, 2014, 10:38 AM
So Chattown, can we mark you down right now as predicting Chattanooga will win the title? Its never too early.

Definitely a top contender for it going into the year. Probably a better chance than missing the playoffs in a watered down conference.

Mattymc727
April 10th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Definitely a top contender for it going into the year. Probably a better chance than missing the playoffs in a watered down conference.

Dont be a chicken dude

chattownmocs
April 10th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Dont be a chicken dude

You have me mistaken, when I predicted that we would win the title the last 2 years it was because I believed we would win it based on having pretty much everything back. This year we have to replace 6 of our back 7 on defense and a couple key Offensive lineman. Cant predict a national title with so many unknowns at LB and DB. GTFO.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2014, 11:01 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure Mercer is anyone's darling. They've had a great start to their program (and a monstrously successful year in athletics total). We will know a whole lot more about Mercer in week 2 when Furman comes to town. We'll know real quick whether they are legitimate to win a few conference games.

superman7515
April 10th, 2014, 11:07 AM
1) James Madison will win the CAA.

2) Hoboken State will announce they are set to begin fielding a co-ed recreational disc golf team, prompting a 14,000 word treatise from LFN on how this will affect the Patriot League and the undue burden it propogates on HBCU's.

3) Following Citdog's untimely demise in July, in which the paper must heavily redact findings from the official police report which include eyewitness statements such as "a mountain of cocaine" and "after donkey punching his fourth prostitute", The Citadel will dedicate the 2014 season in his memory. Fortunately, Citdog is there for the Bulldogs upset of Florida State, as senior defensive linemen Justin Oxendine reaches into an urn emblazoned with the Stainless Banner for a handful of Cit's ashes, temporarily blinding Seminole QB Jameis Winston, allowing Oxendine to strip the ball and shout "For Sumter!" as he crosses the goal line as time expires for a 34-33 victory.

4) It will be revealed that after all this time we've been laughing and amused by the ramblings of Mr. Chicken, he actually had a stroke several years ago and is unable to type. Due to his use of speech recognition software, he appears to have running gag involving a Foghorn Leghorn-esque stutter, when in fact, we are all just dicks.

5) While pre-game tailgating at the Appalachian State/Arkansas State game, Apphole will suggest a game of cornhole. Unfortunately, the folks of Jonesboro haven't quite caught onto the game played at tailgates around the country, and instead Apphole has his tailgate lowered in Bottomtown.

6) After falling behind by 30 points to Abilene Christiana late in the first quarter, Tuscon will attempt to end the misery by jumping from Georgia State's highest seating section in the Georgia Dome. Unfortunately, the jump from the fourth row on the 50-yard line is steeper than you would expect, leading to a seriously sprained ankle that takes at least 20 minutes to walk off. Catatonic refuses to credit ACU with an FBS win.

7) FormerPokeCenter will be disqualified from this years edition of the 24 Hours of Booty after it is found out his water bottle is actually filled with Russian Standard.

8) YSUBigRed will be conspicously absent for 8 weeks after he accidentally knocks over a bottle of Jergens and his hand slips while working in his basement, somehow tearing his rotator cuff and shattering the orbital bone in his right eye at the same time.

9) AGS will be temporarily down in December after a sexual harrassment lawsuit filed by a waitress in Hooters following a Montana Grizzlies playoff win. It will be revealed in court papers that UAH is actually Grizo standing on stilts and that after his fourth beer, Grizo asked to smell the waitresses hair, and then walked face first into her crotch.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2014, 11:07 AM
My prediction is that Furman will have the SoCon's best defense in 2014.

Furman was the league's third best defense last year. Returns 9 starters and the entire front seven. Return all key backups. Only position where there is competition for a starter is at one cornerback.

RichH2
April 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
:) Over that as 40,000 tickets already sold.

blackbeard
April 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM
2) Hoboken State will announce they are set to begin fielding a co-ed recreational disc golf team, prompting a 14,000 word treatise from LFN on how this will affect the Patriot League and the undue burden it propogates on HBCU's.

xlolxxbowx

Gil Dobie
April 10th, 2014, 11:56 AM
UNI finally gets one in the can in Cap'n Cat and D1B's lifetime.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 12:00 PM
UNI finally gets one in the can in Cap'n Cat and D1B's lifetime.

See, that's my bet over the field. It's NDSU or UNI or bust. MVFC will stay top conference, despite what the CAA crowd thinks.

Moto X

Gil Dobie
April 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM
See, that's my bet over the field. It's NDSU or UNI or bust. MVFC will stay top conference, despite what the CAA crowd thinks.

Moto X

UNI had a great team, right on par with NDSU last year, until the injury bug hit. They return a good group of players that can win the whole damn thing.

DFW HOYA
April 10th, 2014, 12:25 PM
:) Over that as 40,000 tickets already sold.

Sold...yes, but on a cold, cloudy day in November some fans will be buying the tickets for a keepsake and watch it on TV instead.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 10th, 2014, 12:32 PM
UNI had a great team, right on par with NDSU last year, until the injury bug hit. They return a good group of players that can win the whole damn thing.

Until they can find a trainer who specializes in snakebites, I won't put a lot of money on them.

bjtheflamesfan
April 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM
1) Liberty wins the Big South outright for the first time since 2008 and along the way causes a near nuclear level meltdown from the entire App State contingent on AGS as App State narrowly defeats the Flames in The Rock (if Liberty pulls off the win, it will be a nuclear level meltdown)
2) UTC comes in preseason favorites but throws up all over themselves in the fourth quarter against Samford and Furman and once again misses the playoffs.
3) NDSU gets an ESPN TV game
4) NDSU loses in the regular season for the first time since 2012
5) The Citadel shocks everyone and wins the SoCon and garners the first national seed for the SoCon since 2012

lionsrking2
April 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I won't predict specific results but Southeastern Louisiana should be significantly better and deeper than 2013 ... we'll see where it takes us.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM

Nov 8th.

Likely top 5-10 match up in the UNIDome...UNI/NDSU.

Problem there would be UNI loves the 4 PM kick time and I don't know how willing they'd be to move it to fit into a TV slot.

Nickels
April 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I won't predict specific results but Southeastern Louisiana should be significantly better and deeper than 2013 ... we'll see where it takes us.

You also lost both coordinators, correct?

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 04:12 PM
1) Liberty wins the Big South outright for the first time since 2008 and along the way causes a near nuclear level meltdown from the entire App State contingent on AGS as App State narrowly defeats the Flames in The Rock (if Liberty pulls off the win, it will be a nuclear level meltdown)
2) UTC comes in preseason favorites but throws up all over themselves in the fourth quarter against Samford and Furman and once again misses the playoffs.
5) The Citadel shocks everyone and wins the SoCon and garners the first national seed for the SoCon since 2012

We don't care about losing in the regular season...It's the playoff loses that worry us more. ;)

Unless it's a lot of loses. Also, i don't think we'll be getting and ESPN game this year.

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM
We don't care about losing in the regular season...It's the playoff loses that worry us more. ;)

Unless it's a lot of loses. Also, i don't think we'll be getting and ESPN game this year.

Need to go ahead and book your reservations in Greenville :)

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't be shocked if the Cadets won it all this season.

lionsrking2
April 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM
You also lost both coordinators, correct?

And???

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
I think SELA is going to make a great deal of noise this season.

OL FU
April 11th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if the Cadets won it all this season.

We are talking about Football not a re-creation of the Star of the West sailing into Charleston Harbor.

Daytripper
April 11th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I think SELA is going to make a great deal of noise this season.

If all of their out of state transfers remember to come back to "school."

citdog
April 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM
If all of their out of state transfers remember to come back to "school."

Got to give their coach a great deal of credit for being able to make those guys a TEAM. I don't agree with the method but it is certainly legal.

Nickels
April 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
And???
You may not know this because you've never witnesses SELA do anything noteworthy but coordinators kind of matter.

lionsrking2
April 11th, 2014, 03:02 PM
You may not know this because you've never witnesses SELA do anything noteworthy but coordinators kind of matter.

Yeah, if you're handing the keys to idiots i could see your point, but thats not the case here. I don't even think you could screw us up.

centennial
April 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I just don't see any many teams beating NDSU this season. CAA will remain 2nd best. All depends on how the new coaching staff does for NDSU and if UNI can knock us off.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 11th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I just don't see any many teams beating NDSU this season. CAA will remain 2nd best. All depends on how the new coaching staff does for NDSU and if UNI can knock us off.

This NDSU team feels like 2010. The x factor will be Carson Wentz. The Mertens/Mohler debacle was the outlier in NDSU's history but you never know. The kid looks like a baller though so I'm feeling very good about coming in.

Professor Chaos
April 11th, 2014, 04:11 PM
If UNI stays healthy I think they're the team to beat in the MVFC this year but I think both NDSU and UNI will be national title contenders.

centennial
April 11th, 2014, 04:15 PM
This NDSU team feels like 2010. The x factor will be Carson Wentz. The Mertens/Mohler debacle was the outlier in NDSU's history but you never know. The kid looks like a baller though so I'm feeling very good about coming in.
I like his QB play. I feel like this team is more like 2011. We might drop a game but I expect us to be in the semi finals or finals. We had a big gap with rest of FCS, I don't believe all of it is gone with one class even though it was a big one. The X-Factor is that we will have newer looks, tricks and players making us harder to prepare for.

Nickels
April 11th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Yeah, if you're handing the keys to idiots i could see your point, but thats not the case here. I don't even think you could screw us up.
I agree. 1-1 all time playoff team = unstoppable.

Yotes
April 11th, 2014, 11:48 PM
USD beats both UNI and NDSU at home.

Maybe.

frozennorth
April 12th, 2014, 03:45 AM
NDSU and UNI are head and shoulders above the rest of the division this year, with a title game rematch. NDSU's steak extends to 40 games. Gameday goes to cedar falls. Division comes up just short for last years 16 fbs wins.

IBleedYellow
April 12th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Maybe.

You have them at the right location.
USD has gotten better, but I don't think they hang around a healthy UNI.

Moto X

McNeese75
April 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Damn good thing SHSU managed to keep their D-coordinator then for the upcoming season. xwhistlex

Jab aside, I agree that coordinators matter. SELU had a special coaching chemistry last year in getting the team to play like they did. Changing the formula can make a difference (good or BAD)

Que Lionsking2 in 1......2......

Nickels
April 12th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Damn good thing SHSU managed to keep their D-coordinator then for the upcoming season. xwhistlex
Actually, he's not a d coordinator anymore. He's a co d coordinator now, aka jock scrubber & resume submitter.

Truthfully, we had our spring game last night and I was disappointed in how involved he still was.

To get on topic for once, I truly don't know what to expect from the Kats this season. I know workouts and practices are much more intense than in the past and Keeler is definitely saying the right things. We're still out 15 or so players due to injury, most of them starters. Kinda alarming considering we have a game in about 4 months. We were a mistake ridden team last year and I think it came down to a lot of fundamentals. Spring game was last night (great attendance compared to the past) and there were still missed tackles, dropped balls and running of the wrong routes, etc. BUT it seems like things have been cleaned up to an extent. Still a lot of work to do though. We're definitely going to be airing it out more this year. Still running some option but nothing like we ran the last 4 years. D was mediocre last night, a couple of good plays followed by a couple of bad ones. I was too busy socializing to focus on the d formations. Not even sure what our base is this year.

The Southland as whole will be hard to predict IMO. New coaches galore, new teams, new split scheduling, ect. This is most active off season I've seen in the SLC although I've only followed the conference for a few years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Maybe.

Not a chance.

UNI will beat down USD this year. Both the USD/NDSU games the last two years have been a joke but this year's game will probably be closer......maybe.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM
NDSU and UNI are head and shoulders above the rest of the division this year, with a title game rematch. NDSU's steak extends to 40 games. Gameday goes to cedar falls. Division comes up just short for last years 16 fbs wins.

if UNI stays healthy they will be the team to beat in the Valley this year. UNI/NDSU game in Nov will be awesome.

bulldog10jw
April 13th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Yale will go undefeated, untied, unscored upon....and uninvited. :D

FUBeAR
April 13th, 2014, 01:34 PM

Hopefully, this prediction will turn out as this posters previous prophecies have and carry the same, though inverse, results as the SI or Madden Curse.

My prediction: Mercer's very young team of woefully undersized, way-too-slow, mostly local Macon kids from 1A/GISA private high schools who were not good enough to even be offered non-preferred walk-on opportunities at any FCS schools will play hard from kickoff through the echo of the last whistle and the fans will fill up the stadium on 7 Saturdays this fall, after hours of wonderful tailgating, to cheer like crazy for their Bears.

clenz
April 13th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Not a chance.

UNI will beat down USD this year. Both the USD/NDSU games the last two years have been a joke but this year's game will probably be closer......maybe.

Agreed.

UNI's second stringers took USD's best shot and it took OT for USD's first team to beat UNI's second team.

chattownmocs
April 13th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, this prediction will turn out as this posters previous prophecies have and carry the same, though inverse, results as the SI or Madden Curse.

My prediction: Mercer's very young team of woefully undersized, way-too-slow, mostly local Macon kids from 1A/GISA private high schools who were not good enough to even be offered non-preferred walk-on opportunities at any FCS schools will play hard from kickoff through the echo of the last whistle and the fans will fill up the stadium on 7 Saturdays this fall, after hours of wonderful tailgating, to cheer like crazy for their Bears.

This is exactly what I was talking about. You can get sarcastic all day but you are not ready to compete in the southern conference unless you have drastically rehauled your roster and upgraded the talent level of it. Be prepared for a major dissapointment if you are expecting anything other than blowout after blowout.

darell1976
April 13th, 2014, 05:20 PM
North Dakota

will play in OT this year
will have an upset win
will have the best defense since 2007.

PaladinFan
April 13th, 2014, 08:15 PM
This is exactly what I was talking about. You can get sarcastic all day but you are not ready to compete in the southern conference unless you have drastically rehauled your roster and upgraded the talent level of it. Be prepared for a major dissapointment if you are expecting anything other than blowout after blowout.

They are probably going to be better than expected. They are lead by a good coach and good recruiter. Bobby Lamb has spent 30 years in the SoCon and coached deep in the playoffs. He's got a pretty good idea of what level of football to expect.

The reality is the jump is going to be bigger than I imagine Mercer fans anticipate. The SoCon is due for a "down" year, but its still going to be a significantly tougher schedule than they played last year. Mercer was beaten soundly the two times they played the Pioneer League's upper echelon. To put that in perspective, the Pioneer League champ (Butler) was beaten 31-0 in the first round of the playoffs last year by a good not great TSU team.

Again, I don't think we will have a good picture of Mercer until week 2 when they see the Paladins. I think that will be a good barometer for the Bears (and Paladins)

McNeese75
April 13th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Actually, he's not a d coordinator anymore. He's a co d coordinator now, aka jock scrubber & resume submitter.

Truthfully, we had our spring game last night and I was disappointed in how involved he still was.

To get on topic for once, I truly don't know what to expect from the Kats this season. I know workouts and practices are much more intense than in the past and Keeler is definitely saying the right things. We're still out 15 or so players due to injury, most of them starters. Kinda alarming considering we have a game in about 4 months. We were a mistake ridden team last year and I think it came down to a lot of fundamentals. Spring game was last night (great attendance compared to the past) and there were still missed tackles, dropped balls and running of the wrong routes, etc. BUT it seems like things have been cleaned up to an extent. Still a lot of work to do though. We're definitely going to be airing it out more this year. Still running some option but nothing like we ran the last 4 years. D was mediocre last night, a couple of good plays followed by a couple of bad ones. I was too busy socializing to focus on the d formations. Not even sure what our base is this year.

The Southland as whole will be hard to predict IMO. New coaches galore, new teams, new split scheduling, ect. This is most active off season I've seen in the SLC although I've only followed the conference for a few years.

It's hard to get too excited watching the teams in the Spring. A returning RB (speed burner) ripped off a 73 yd run at the beginning of the scrimmage the other day. So, is the OL doing a great job, is the RB a beast, does the D suck big time? I guess we will see come September.

Yotes
April 13th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Agreed.

UNI's second stringers took USD's best shot and it took OT for USD's first team to beat UNI's second team.
We'll be much improved again this year, every unit except the DBs looks better, and do have you for our homecoming game. It's been a long time since anyone came in and beat us without trouble, and the homecoming crowd will really have the Dome rockin. We'll be sizable underdogs against both UNI and NDSU, no questioning that, but I expect at least one of those games to come down to the final minutes.

I hope those two dates have big circles around them because taking either would be a landmark win at this point, and could even push us into the playoffs. It likely isn't time for these advancements yet, but we are making great strides to get to that point.

clenz
April 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM
We'll be much improved again this year, every unit except the DBs looks better, and do have you for our homecoming game. It's been a long time since anyone came in and beat us without trouble, and the homecoming crowd will really have the Dome rockin. We'll be sizable underdogs against both UNI and NDSU, no questioning that, but I expect at least one of those games to come down to the final minutes.

I hope those two dates have big circles around them because taking either would be a landmark win at this point, and could even push us into the playoffs. It likely isn't time for these advancements yet, but we are making great strides to get to that point.
You're DB's better get better REAL fast, especially if UNI stays healthy...and there's no way any unit that Starr was on is better.

UNI returns 10 starters on offense - including everyone that saw PT last season due to injuries and the best WR on the team who missed with an ACL tear suffered during fall camp. Yep...that means DJ is healthy, Kollmorgen should be recovered from his 2 concussions, our WR is pretty damn good (I won't go the route that most fans do and proclaim "BEST IN THE CONFERENCE/NATION", but they are really damn good. DJ IS the best back in the nation...period...I will go that far.

Defensively we return 9, I believe, starters..including getting Farley back from his horrific leg break and 290lb DT Mac O'Brien is back from whatever foot injury kept him out last season. Imagine a DL with 6'4 310 Xavier Williams and 6'2 290 Mac O'Brien sitting right in the middle of it with Farley and Deiondre' Hall just roaming around in the back 7.

Holy ****..I really hope this team can finally stay healthy. The team built a ton of depth that it didn't' have at the start of last season because of last seasons injuries...and added back healthy starters.

If Wentz can play as good as Sumner (who I am very hard on but NDSU is MUCH better top to bottom than SDSU so that level play is good enough for NDSU to win a bunch of games) and UNI stays healthy they are, IMO, the best two teams in the nation - **** we saw it last year when UNI and NDSU matched up (and UNI was missing their top WR and top DT) and lost DJ and Farley during the game. The UNI team that entered the FargoDome that day beats anyone else in the nation (and likely NDSU if not for Farley's injury).

Now, anything can happen (again see a **** load of injuries) but EWU's offense is about the only thing that might be able to stop UNI/NDSU unless some sleeper team comes out of somewhere...but their defense is going to have to be much better.

Yotes
April 13th, 2014, 10:02 PM
With all the depth built last year UNI could be a top team even with a plethora of injuries, but almost certainly top 5 FCS with the first stringers. Do you think you can hang with Iowa? Surely Fall practice won't decimate your roster before the opener. I'm very interested to see how UNI and NDSU hold up against Iowa and Iowa State.

clenz
April 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM
With all the depth built last year UNI could be a top team even with a plethora of injuries, but almost certainly top 5 FCS with the first stringers. Do you think you can hang with Iowa? Surely Fall practice won't decimate your roster before the opener. I'm very interested to see how UNI and NDSU hold up against Iowa and Iowa State.

We'd crush Iowa State this year...again.

We'll likely beat Hawaii.
Iowa is a wildcard...maybe it's because I'm a "Hawk Hater". Yes, they finished 8-4 last year but UNI matches up really well with them. They also have a lot of questions on D and their QB play was spotty. We'll likely walk out of IC with a W BUT I wouldn't be shocked with a W. I see games very similar to 09 (1 point loss) and 12 (one possession game until very late). This team is built a lot like that 09 UNI team but with a QB that isn't a complete ****ing toolbag and a lot less sense of entitlement running through the roster that caused that team to fall the F apart late in the season that year.

NDSU will likely beat Iowa State. They just kicked a starting DL off of the team for being part of the VEISHA riots (tearing down stop signs, inciting riots, etc...) He was the same guy that got a very small suspension last year after being charged with domestic assault against his baby momma. They also kicked another DL off the team a month or two ago that saw PT last season...and well, Iowa State is just plain bad.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2014, 10:48 PM
The BIG questions for NDSU going into this next season is going to be in the trenches...especially regarding depth. OL/DL play is my biggest question mark going into the season....not skill positions/Wentz. The advantage NDSU has had over the past three seasons have a lot to do with being able to "lean on" teams and grind them out over 4 quarters....time will tell if the Bison can continue to do that this next season.

IBleedYellow
April 14th, 2014, 05:34 AM
The Iowa FBS schools will be losing to FCS schools this year.

Professor Chaos
April 14th, 2014, 08:28 AM
The UNI team that entered the FargoDome that day beats anyone else in the nation (and likely NDSU if not for Farley's injury).
I agree with the first part but I still think the injury to David Johnson is what really cost UNI in that game. I think the UNI defense was gassed in the 4th quarter even with Farley in there and they needed their offense to hold the ball which they couldn't do without Johnson his normal self (I'm pretty sure he came back in after his injury but you could tell he wasn't right).

If Johnson stays healthy I think he's a Payton finalist this year. IMO he was the best and most complete RB NDSU saw last year and that includes the all Big 12 RB from K State and Terrance West.

clenz
April 14th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I agree with the first part but I still think the injury to David Johnson is what really cost UNI in that game. I think the UNI defense was gassed in the 4th quarter even with Farley in there and they needed their offense to hold the ball which they couldn't do without Johnson his normal self (I'm pretty sure he came back in after his injury but you could tell he wasn't right).

If Johnson stays healthy I think he's a Payton finalist this year. IMO he was the best and most complete RB NDSU saw last year and that includes the all Big 12 RB from K State and Terrance West.
The DJ injury did hurt...but that last drive by NDSU was both a thing of beauty and a complete travishamockery of the rules and a horrible mix of bad luck all rolled into one...NDSU earned that one..even if at least one of the 15 yard penalties called on UNI was complete dog ****.

A healthy DJ dwarfs West, Zenner, and whoever else in total package

Mattymc727
April 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
gross, i didnt want this thing to turn into an NDSU-UNI make-out sesh, get a room fellas.

clenz
April 14th, 2014, 08:51 AM
We are predicting next season...

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
As far as non-MVFC schools that will be in the hunt.

The other main contenders IMO: EWU, Montana, UNH, Towson, and Furman.

clenz
April 14th, 2014, 09:54 AM

Towson sans West is...well...not a threat IMO.

It'd be like SDSU without Zenner....

Mattymc727
April 14th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I think Villanova will be back in the playoffs. Everyone is overlooking them at this point.

jmufan999
April 14th, 2014, 10:11 AM

is this one of those things where a person predicts their least favorite team to win, knowing you'll either be happy (non-JMU wins title) or correct? that's actually one of my favorite things to do when predicting.

anyway, JMU's offense has a lot of potential. Vad Lee looks a lot like Thorpe, except he seems to be a (far?) superior passer. he doesn't appear to be a "one read, then freak out" kind of guy, he looks to pass as his first option. the tempo will be much faster, also. it's not Oregon-fast, but it's noticeably faster than anything i've ever seen JMU run. almost exclusively spread.

edit: at this point, i absolutely believe Vad Lee will win the job over Birdsong, for multiple reasons.

defense? no idea what to expect. going to (mostly) a 3-4, so that's a big change. if the defense is in the top half of the league, JMU will be in the CAA conversation. i'm not ready to go there just yet, quite a few question marks.

BisonBacker
April 14th, 2014, 10:28 AM

I agree with the Towson comment. West was their offense and without him they won't be NC contenders IMHO.

gumby013
April 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I agree with the Towson comment. West was their offense and without him they won't be NC contenders IMHO.

They also lose much of their O Line.

clenz
April 14th, 2014, 10:33 AM
They also lose much of their O Line.
4 of 5, I believe.

BisonBacker
April 14th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I don't know why anyone is even thinking about this it's clear Chatty is going to win it all xbowx
At least according to one delusional fan xlolx

PaladinFan
April 14th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I don't know why anyone is even thinking about this it's clear Chatty is going to win it all xbowx
At least according to one delusional fan xlolx

UTC will have a good team. They have an almost uncanny ability to trip on their own shoelaces. They play a lot of close football games, but struggle either to hold fourth quarter leads or come back from fourth quarter deficits.

If the Mocs ever figure out how to close out a football game, they could be tough. To this point, that ability still escapes them.

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Southeastern Louisiana will definitely be in the hunt ... much better than 2013.

knucklehead
April 14th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Liberty will beat App in Boone on Oct 11th and will make the playoffs, FINALLY! there, I said it.

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM

I like Towson's coach. A good coach can keep a team near the top.

clenz
April 14th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I like Towson's coach. A good coach can keep a team near the top.
Any team that loses it's top/only real offense threat and 4 OL is going to slide...a lot...no matter what.

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Any team that loses it's top/only real offense threat and 4 OL is going to slide...a lot...no matter what.

Not necessarily the case. They could have a couple of transfers coming in and may have some younger kids ready to step up. I lean towards the conventional wisdom that they'll take a step back, but wouldn't be at all surprised if they're still relevant.

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Not necessarily the case. They could have a couple of transfers coming in and may have some younger kids ready to step up. I lean towards the conventional wisdom that they'll take a step back, but wouldn't be at all surprised if they're still relevant.

They could also rotate backs to keep a change of pace for the defense. A good coaching staff can reload each year and any team the beats EWU is a team to watch even with graduation hits.

MR. CHICKEN
April 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM

18926.....TOWSON...HAD TOP WIDE RECIEVERS OUT FO' SEASON....DEY JES' RODE DUH HORSE....TA FRISCO.....TRUE DAT...O-LINE...IS....UNDERAH-CONSTRUCTION ZONE........xtwocentsx......AWQ!

jmufan999
April 14th, 2014, 02:36 PM
edit: at this point, i absolutely believe Vad Lee will win the job over Birdsong, for multiple reasons.

apparently Birdsong will be transferring. quitter.

rumor is he may transfer to Marshall or ODU. he has a redshirt year to burn.

centennial
April 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Southeastern Louisiana will definitely be in the hunt ... much better than 2013.
I remember you saying that last season as well. Do you expect to win the Southland? I actually expect your team to be top 5 with only from NDSU, UNI and maybe the top CAA team ahead.

bostonspider
April 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I think the Spiders will make it back to the playoffs. Will be interesting to see how the Strauss / Rocco QB situation plays out.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 14th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Fordham will reach the semifinals, the winner of Lehigh-Lafayette will advance to the quarters....

Cocky
April 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
JSU will be lucky to make the playoffs. The OVC is going to be super tough this year.

344Johnson
April 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM
NDSU makes semis at least.
Chatty crashes somehow someway.
The Citadel does something to make citdog happy.

citdog
April 14th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Fordham will reach the semifinals, the winner of Lehigh-Lafayette will advance to the quarters....

so you have the patsy league getting TWO BIDS?????

that's FUNNY

you should be telling jokes on a stage

Red & Black
April 14th, 2014, 08:00 PM
EWU will win the BSC again this season and make the playoffs. Adams will win the Payton.

Also, EWU will beat down SHSU at home this season and finally get that monkey off the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I remember you saying that last season as well. Do you expect to win the Southland? I actually expect your team to be top 5 with only from NDSU, UNI and maybe the top CAA team ahead.

I'm not one to make specific predictions, but we did win the Southland last year by an average margin of victory of 25 points, and we're considerably better right now than we were at any point in the fall. IMO, we have the look of a national championship contender ... we'll see how the season plays out.

McNeese75
April 14th, 2014, 10:50 PM
I'm not one to make specific predictions, but we did win the Southland last year by an average margin of victory of 25 points, and we're considerably better right now than we were at any point in the fall. IMO, we have the look of a national championship contender ... we'll see how the season plays out.

xrolleyesx Chattown, is that you??????

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2014, 11:07 PM
xrolleyesx Chattown, is that you??????

No. We've actually won something. xsmiley_wix

knucklehead
April 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I think the Spiders will make it back to the playoffs. Will be interesting to see how the Strauss / Rocco QB situation plays out.

It sure would be an epic story line if Mike was the QB when his Uncle and former LU HC Danny comes into William's stadium in Lynchburg on October 4th for LU's Homecoming!

Silenoz
April 15th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Montana scores 50+ at least 4 times

...and gives up 40+ at least 4 times

Ivytalk
April 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Harvard will win at least 7 games for the 15th straight season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 16th, 2014, 02:55 PM
EWU will win the BSC again this season and make the playoffs. Adams will win the Payton.

Also, EWU will beat down SHSU at home this season and finally get that monkey off the back.

Adams is definitely one of the frontrunners for the Payton this coming year. EWU has to be the favorite in the BSC this year. Ton of talent coming back.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 16th, 2014, 02:57 PM

This here.

EWU
UNI
SELA
W & M
Villanova
Furman
UNH

Some teams IMO that will be very good. NDSU will be good but they have some work to do.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 16th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Fordham's offense is going to be really good. For the 2nd time in 4 years, the Patriot League will have a Payton Finalist. He just might do enough to win it over Adams....

carney2
April 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Harvard will win at least 7 games for the 15th straight season.

Usually a sure thing wager. This year, not so much. At least 5 games that could be a struggle.

carney2
April 16th, 2014, 03:23 PM

I want some of what you're smoking. The winner of the Lafayette-Lehigh (the order is alphabetically, historically and competitively correct) game will have to go 9-2 with a marquis (pun intended) win or two to make the playoffs. Neither is going to do better than 7-4 with a "the gods are with us" stretch to 8-3.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Fordham's offense is going to be really good. For the 2nd time in 4 years, the Patriot League will have a Payton Finalist. He just might do enough to win it over Adams....

the patsy league Payton Finalist is affirmative action in action.

Adams plays REAL COMPETITION

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I want some of what you're smoking. The winner of the Lafayette-Lehigh (the order is alphabetically, historically and competitively correct) game will have to go 9-2 with a marquis (pun intended) win or two to make the playoffs. Neither is going to do better than 7-4 with a "the gods are with us" stretch to 8-3.

There's been some "interesting" predictions being made on here so I figured, what the hell. Lehigh has a great opportunity out of the gate against JMU. They also get Fordham at home. Lafayette's opportunity will come against W&M and Harvard. Fordham will have enough steam imo, to raise the league. Lehigh and Lafayette both carry SOME momentum from last year as well.

Look around the country this year in FCS, lots of parity. I live in Big Sky country. Outside of EWU and Montana, the league is going to be terrible. UNH will be Fordham's number one obstacle in the Northeast imo.

darell1976
April 16th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Montana scores 50+ at least 4 times

...and gives up 40+ at least 4 times

If we still had Muss as our coach I would put UND as one of those victims.

Red & Black
April 16th, 2014, 08:38 PM
This here.

EWU
UNI
SELA
W & M
Villanova
Furman
UNH

Some teams IMO that will be very good. NDSU will be good but they have some work to do.

What do you think the '14 version of NDSU looks like with a new staff and the departure of that Senior class that you had that great run with? Same general methodology in terms of what you're going to try and do on offense?

HerdUp
April 17th, 2014, 11:02 PM

HerdUp
April 17th, 2014, 11:14 PM
NDSU beats Iowa State
Montana beats Wyoming
GameDay comes to Fargo for NDSU/Montana game (both schools 3-0 with FBS wins)
NDSU loses in Cedar Falls
NDSU loses to MoState and/or SDSU
3 Valley teams make playoffs
3 Big Sky teams make playoffs
NDSU finishes 10/2 or 9/3 (gets 1st Round bye) gets 2-4 seed with 2 home playoff games
NDSU goes to Ohio Valley or Colonial for semis
MVFC vs Big Sky in Title Game
MVFC wins 4 in a row

Thumper76
April 18th, 2014, 01:08 AM
SDSU is surprisingly better and beats either UNI OR NDSU and makes it past the second round by playing at Montana, and finally doesnt choke it up in the second half, so I can forget the goddamed game that will not be named

Herder
April 18th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I think Im in the minority in that prediction too. NDSU will be top ten for sure (maybe semi-finals), but im thinking someone else raises the banner. The only thing that has me second guessing an NDSU four-peat is the change at QB. I think Brock Jensen is just a winner, and I dont know if the new guy is the same. Only time will tell.

Any fall-off at NDSU will not be because of QB play. The talent level at QB for NDSU just took a big leap up. You will see. With a scary passer and a dominating running game, pick your poison. The past few years, you tried to stop the run and asked Jensen to beat you. That recipe is changing in 2014.

dewey
April 19th, 2014, 04:08 AM
What do you think the '14 version of NDSU looks like with a new staff and the departure of that Senior class that you had that great run with? Same general methodology in terms of what you're going to try and do on offense?

In my opinion like a few others have said it comes down to the trenches for NDSU this fall and to see if the new or younger guys can get the job done. NDSU needs to replace 3 starters on the offensive line (even though one of the new starters did play a LOT last year Jack Plankers). D Line is where I am concerned losing 3 DT's that were very good in the middle of that front line and kept offensive line man off of the LB's so they could fly around. However there are some young guys that have been practicing against NDSU offensive line the last few years that 8 think can get the job done.

I think NDSU' s toughest games are Iowa State (since NDSU will have new starters in key positions and a new coaching staff), Montana because of all of the weapons they bring back on offense, UNI for reasons that others have mentioned before and possibly one other surprise game (possibly Missouri State as NDSU always struggles against them in Springfield).

I still think they are a top 5 team in the country. Did they lose a fair amount...yes but they were at least 28 points better than every team they played last year in the playoffs. I think they make it to the national semifinals with a good chance to win a 4 th straight title.

Last year seemed like a forgone conclusion on who was going to win the National Title where this year you just don't know. I know I am looking forward to being in Ames Iowa to watch NDSU beat Iowa State.

Go Bison.

Dewey

Catatonic
April 19th, 2014, 08:09 AM
1)

6) After falling behind by 30 points to Abilene Christiana late in the first quarter, Tuscon will attempt to end the misery by jumping from Georgia State's highest seating section in the Georgia Dome. Unfortunately, the jump from the fourth row on the 50-yard line is steeper than you would expect, leading to a seriously sprained ankle that takes at least 20 minutes to walk off. Catatonic refuses to credit ACU with an FBS win..

That was some good stuff right there.

One correction: If ACU beats GSU, ole Catatonic will be heard telling those around him, "Well, boys, time to light a ceegar" as he takes out his shiny metal flask and pours a wee dram of brown liquor into a paper cup.

bjtheflamesfan
April 20th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I may be in the minority in saying this, but I'm not completely sold on the QB situation in Fargo. its one thing to look good in spring practice, playing againt your own teammates wearing red practice jerseys, but its another when you strap em on and line up against teams not wearing the green and gold.

bri-dog
April 20th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I may be in the minority in saying this, but I'm not completely sold on the QB situation in Fargo. its one thing to look good in spring practice, playing againt your own teammates wearing red practice jerseys, but its another when you strap em on and line up against teams not wearing the green and gold.

There will always be doubts when a QB comes in not having played many meaningful snaps. But everything I've seen & heard is that Carson has a strong, accurate arm and is very intelligent. Check out the play at 16:52 of this video against Georgia Southern in a very big situation -- Carson is in at WR, takes the handoff and is supposed to throw back to Jensen. He sees the defender closing, tucks it up, takes one more quick look downfield, then runs for a first down. Only time will tell, but Bison fans are pretty optimistic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnY2BE3_uCw

bjtheflamesfan
April 20th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Youre right to be optimistic just like I am to wait and see and not write him in as an all american at QB before he plays a snap as "the man"

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Youre right to be optimistic just like I am to wait and see and not write him in as an all american at QB before he plays a snap as "the man"

Doesn't need to be an all american at QB....Jensen never was either. It all starts with D...owning the line of scrimmage...running the football and executing.

TribeNomad
April 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Doesn't need to be an all american at QB....Jensen never was either. It all starts with D...owning the line of scrimmage...running the football and executing.

Hard to argue with that formula. Championships won at many levels with a staunch defense, a ground control, punishing, running game, and solid QB play. Don't need a hero to play QB every week if you have the other elements.

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Hard to argue with that formula. Championships won at many levels with a staunch defense, a ground control, punishing, running game, and solid QB play. Don't need a hero to play QB every week if you have the other elements.

Bingo. The biggest questions for NDSU are going to be on the OL and DL...not necessarily at QB. That is how the Bison have had success....time will tell this year.

TribeNomad
April 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM
We need the QB.......again, not a hero, but a functional (durable would be a plus) guy who is the last piece of the puzzle

tomq04
April 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
EWU should have the #1 all around offense in the country, 2 returning running backs that shined the last half of the season and a fully staffed and experience receiving core with hot hands. Hard to imagine EWU not having a chance for a 3-peat loss in the semi's at home.

mvemjsunpx
April 23rd, 2014, 02:30 AM
SDSU is surprisingly better and beats either UNI OR NDSU and makes it past the second round by playing at Montana, and finally doesnt choke it up in the second half, so I can forget the TWO goddamed gameS that will not be named

FIFY. xsmiley_wix

Thumper76
April 23rd, 2014, 02:33 AM
FIFY. xsmiley_wix

Goddamnit

Tribe93
April 23rd, 2014, 07:05 AM

3) Following Citdog's untimely demise in July, in which the paper must heavily redact findings from the official police report which include eyewitness statements such as "a mountain of cocaine" and "after donkey punching his fourth prostitute", The Citadel will dedicate the 2014 season in his memory. Fortunately, Citdog is there for the Bulldogs upset of Florida State, as senior defensive linemen Justin Oxendine reaches into an urn emblazoned with the Stainless Banner for a handful of Cit's ashes, temporarily blinding Seminole QB Jameis Winston, allowing Oxendine to strip the ball and shout "For Sumter!" as he crosses the goal line as time expires for a 34-33 victory.

4) It will be revealed that after all this time we've been laughing and amused by the ramblings of Mr. Chicken, he actually had a stroke several years ago and is unable to type. Due to his use of speech recognition software, he appears to have running gag involving a Foghorn Leghorn-esque stutter, when in fact, we are all just dicks.

5) While pre-game tailgating at the Appalachian State/Arkansas State game, Apphole will suggest a game of cornhole. Unfortunately, the folks of Jonesboro haven't quite caught onto the game played at tailgates around the country, and instead Apphole has his tailgate lowered in Bottomtown.

6) After falling behind by 30 points to Abilene Christiana late in the first quarter, Tuscon will attempt to end the misery by jumping from Georgia State's highest seating section in the Georgia Dome. Unfortunately, the jump from the fourth row on the 50-yard line is steeper than you would expect, leading to a seriously sprained ankle that takes at least 20 minutes to walk off. Catatonic refuses to credit ACU with an FBS win.

7) FormerPokeCenter will be disqualified from this years edition of the 24 Hours of Booty after it is found out his water bottle is actually filled with Russian Standard.

8) YSUBigRed will be conspicously absent for 8 weeks after he accidentally knocks over a bottle of Jergens and his hand slips while working in his basement, somehow tearing his rotator cuff and shattering the orbital bone in his right eye at the same time.

9) AGS will be temporarily down in December after a sexual harrassment lawsuit filed by a waitress in Hooters following a Montana Grizzlies playoff win. It will be revealed in court papers that UAH is actually Grizo standing on stilts and that after his fourth beer, Grizo asked to smell the waitresses hair, and then walked face first into her crotch.

JMU winning the CAA title is the least likely of that group.

Mattymc727
April 23rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Here's another prediction:

Two years in a row, a CAA team will face-off against a MVFC team for the title.

I wont predict the teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Offensive and defensive philosophies are staying the same. The new OC says he will probably pass the ball a little more but the same north/south punishing running game will not change. The defense will keep the Tampa-2 style which has been pretty successful the last few years.

The biggest question mark for the Bison IMO, is the interior DL and how the depth develops. 4 seniors graduated and many on the depth chart are RFR right now.

jimbo65
April 24th, 2014, 07:42 AM
IMO, Fordham in playoffs for sure. If there is production from the running back position, will reach semis or Frisco. My main concern is finishing the season at Army. Timing is not good if there are injuries. On the plus side, were we to have 2 loses prior to Army, a win would likely get us into the playoffs.

Mattymc727
April 24th, 2014, 07:46 AM
IMO, Fordham in playoffs for sure. If there is production from the running back position, will reach semis or Frisco. My main concern is finishing the season at Army. Timing is not good if there are injuries. On the plus side, were we to have 2 loses prior to Army, a win would likely get us into the playoffs.

If Fordham has two losses before the Army game, no way they make it to the semis or Frisco. If Fordham is that good, they should run the table or 1 loss with that schedule.

superman7515
April 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
If Fordham has two losses before the Army game, no way they make it to the semis or Frisco. If Fordham is that good, they should run the table or 1 loss with that schedule.

Yeah, if they lose to anyone with the possible exception of Villanova, they aren't making it to the semi's. Other than the Wildcats, that schedule is
http://dealbreaker.com/uploads/2013/06/marshmallow-fluff.jpg

jimbo65
April 24th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Actually what I predicted was that if we have 2 loses and beat Army, our chance of making the playoffs would be strengthened. If we have one loss or less, I predict smis or Frisco. Either way it is a crapshoot. If the QB goes down, forget it.

underdawg
April 26th, 2014, 07:04 PM

You guys will be ok with your D. Better hope it's not like 2010--SIU was under five hundred and still beat you guys there 20-7. I think we knock someone off we shouldn't with Lennon finally taking hands on with his 3-4. Lennon let Bubba run it his way for 6 years--but there is quite a difference in how he interprets his 3-4 with much more Press by the CBs and different (and more ) blitzes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 27th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah, if they lose to anyone with the possible exception of Villanova, they aren't making it to the semi's. Other than the Wildcats, that schedule is
http://dealbreaker.com/uploads/2013/06/marshmallow-fluff.jpg

They still have to travel to Goodman, a place where the Rams have never won. Lehigh will be looking for some payback....

Danco
July 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I agree. 1-1 all time playoff team = unstoppable.

For some reason - I get the impression that Nickels dislikes SELA. I am not sure why.

Teal2018
July 18th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Coastal will have another top 10 season and for the first time ever the big south will send 2 teams to the playoffs

dewey
July 18th, 2014, 03:16 PM
You guys will be ok with your D. Better hope it's not like 2010--SIU was under five hundred and still beat you guys there 20-7.

What?

http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=47&path=football

NDSU won in 2010 20-7 in Fargo.

Dewey

SU DOG
July 18th, 2014, 05:04 PM
UTC will lose 3 of its first 4 - Central MI, JSU and Samford. Able to recover from 2 FCS losses so early? I dunno.
Samford's QB will become known as the "Cam Newton of FCS".
Furman will see who REALLY has the best SoCon defense on OCT 25 in Greenville.
Samford makes the playoffs this year, and avenges the woeful showing of last year by beating JSU.

citdog
July 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM
UTC will lose 3 of its first 4 - Central MI, JSU and Samford. Able to recover from 2 FCS losses so early? I dunno.
Samford makes the playoffs this year, and avenges the woeful showing of last year by beating JSU.

Funny how you don't mention losing to The Citadel AGAIN........

SU DOG
July 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Funny how you don't mention losing to The Citadel AGAIN........

Not a chance. BTW, how many times has The Citadel finished above Samford in the SoCon standings since Samford joined the conference?
HINT: <1

citdog
July 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Not a chance. BTW, how many times has The Citadel finished above Samford in the SoCon standings since Samford joined the conference?
HINT: <1

Who won last year and beat the hell out of your team in the process? You are NOT a physical football team and get WHIPPED by teams that are.

CID1990
July 19th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Im not seeing from the Samford roster how they are going to be improved over last year.

In fact it sounds like you're channeling chattown a little bit

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Im not seeing from the Samford roster how they are going to be improved over last year.

In fact it sounds like you're channeling chattown a little bit

Not a fan of those other bullpuppies from out west CID1990, but they haven't posted their 2014 roster yet & they have been loading up on transfers. I think the transfers have been in key areas of need for them also - QB from AZ, now a WR/PR/KR from Looavuhl. I think they picked up a couple of FBS DL-men as well. That said, the only game I saw them play last year was their playoff game...and I thought I was watching a 1st year D3 team vs. JSU. They couldn't even get the snap off without some kind of calamity...and they were just BAD in all phases of the game - O, D, and Special Teams. They couldn't have played like that the rest of the season and been SoCon Champs, could they? If another team stole their uni's and took the field in that playoff game & that new QB does turn out to be the 2nd coming of Cam to AL, I think the B'Ham pups might be pretty darn good in 2014.

SU DOG
July 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
No serious predictions, just all in fun. I really expected it would be the UTC comment that would draw the ire. As for my true assessment, yes, I do think we will be better this season and stronger in the trenches. Of course, most everyone thinks they will be improved at this time of the year. Can't wait!!!

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2014, 09:11 PM
No serious predictions, just all in fun. I really expected it would be the UTC comment that would draw the ire. As for my true assessment, yes, I do think we will be better this season and stronger in the trenches. Of course, most everyone thinks they will be improved at this time of the year. Can't wait!!!

Samford is an enigma. My consistent position is that teams simply do not "replace" great players. They have some transfers, but I still think it is going to be difficult to replace was Truss was able to do both on offense and special teams.

Perhaps more concerning for Samford fans was how the team folded down the stretch last year. Blown out against Furman. Blown out against Jacksonville State. Took every ounce of effort to beat a woefully bad Elon team with the season on the line at home. Bailed out by UTC's kicker.

citdog
July 19th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Coastal will get beat the first week in Charleston and the big south will send 1 team to the playoffs

FIFY

SU DOG
July 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Samford is an enigma. My consistent position is that teams simply do not "replace" great players. They have some transfers, but I still think it is going to be difficult to replace was Truss was able to do both on offense and special teams.

Perhaps more concerning for Samford fans was how the team folded down the stretch last year. Blown out against Furman. Blown out against Jacksonville State. Took every ounce of effort to beat a woefully bad Elon team with the season on the line at home. Bailed out by UTC's kicker.

No enigma at all. Look at the Furman season, which was an exact (reverse) mirror image. Didn't that same woefully bad Elon Team take Furman in Greenville? It's always unacceptable to make excuses, but what I'm trying to say is that our injuries came about midway of the season, and they came with a vengeance. Truss, for example only played one half against The Citadel. We took the redshirt off several players in that game, playing 2 DL that had never even seen the field previously. Tartt played the last half of the year with injuries that slowed him down. No, of course we weren't the same team that led Arkansas in the last quarter. Call it making excuses or not, four straight conference road games and a rash of injuries had a lot to do with our folding.

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2014, 06:07 AM
No enigma at all. Look at the Furman season, which was an exact (reverse) mirror image. Didn't that same woefully bad Elon Team take Furman in Greenville? It's always unacceptable to make excuses, but what I'm trying to say is that our injuries came about midway of the season, and they came with a vengeance. Truss, for example only played one half against The Citadel. We took the redshirt off several players in that game, playing 2 DL that had never even seen the field previously. Tartt played the last half of the year with injuries that slowed him down. No, of course we weren't the same team that led Arkansas in the last quarter. Call it making excuses or not, four straight conference road games and a rash of injuries had a lot to do with our folding.

I think they are an enigma in 2014 because no one knows how good Eubanks might be, how effectively they can replace Truss, and whether Hamilton can be as effective without the other offensive weapons to take pressure off him. Those are just open questions.

It is my opinion that we just "know" less about what Samford is going to bring to the table this season. I have a pretty good idea what Furman, Wofford, and UTC will look like. Samford is a little more unclear.

SU DOG
July 20th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Those are fair questions PaladinFan. What I base my hope on is a defensive backfield that, without a doubt, should be one of the best around, and the D-Line is going to be really good. LBs are solid, but depth here may be an issue. I got a glimpse of what Eubank can do in the spring, and that excites me. The RB situation, to replace Truss, is definitely a big concern. Hopefully, we can avoid the injuries(Wofford Game where most occurred last year), and be strong throughout the season. I definitely have us picked in the top 3 of the conference, but hey everybody is #1 right now.

citdog
July 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM
furman and samford have something else in common. They will both be losing football games in Charleston this year. Samford has been unable to get it done with a 35 year old Qb last year and now yet another ringer that was run off from his previous program will fail just as handily.

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
furman and samford have something else in common. They will both be losing football games in Charleston this year. Samford has been unable to get it done with a 35 year old Qb last year and now yet another ringer that was run off from his previous program will fail just as handily.

I was not happy to see Furman have to play back to back games in Charleston.

While I am hopeful for a successful season, it cannot be overestimated that Furman has a really tough schedule. Probably half the teams we play this season will be top 25 programs. That list does not even include the notoriously difficult Charleston road game against the Citadel.

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2014, 10:48 AM
Sooooo, how did everyone do?????

I know I got mine absolutely wrong, although I have a shot at getting my first prediction right.

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2014, 10:53 AM
Here's another prediction:

Two years in a row, a CAA team will face-off against a MVFC team for the title.

I wont predict the teams.

I like this one still.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2014, 10:56 AM
This here.

EWU
UNI
SELA
W & M
Villanova
Furman
UNH

Close on some and others I was way off. Furman really surprises me. I thought they would have been a top-10 team this year. They were a good team I saw in the FD last year, esp on defense.

superman7515
November 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH. Two years ago when I did the Over/Under challenge, everyone said I was making it too easy because my numbers were way off. Sure enough, by the end of the season, I had predicted over 80% of the FCS teams final standings within 1.5 games of their final standing. And you're gonna allow a little coaches poll to sway you? James Madison finishing 8th in the CAA? C'mon man!

is this one of those things where a person predicts their least favorite team to win, knowing you'll either be happy (non-JMU wins title) or correct?

JMU winning the CAA title is the least likely of that group.

How the f does JMU get a first place vote but finish 8th.
Did the CAA listen to MPLS and let coaches vote for their own team?

I told you guys in April that I was picking JMU, it's not like it's a surprise, haha.

Thanks for asking UNHFan...

Sooooo, how did everyone do?????

I was just a little off on my #1, but everything else happened exactly like I thought it would. xlolx

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH. Two years ago when I did the Over/Under challenge, everyone said I was making it too easy because my numbers were way off. Sure enough, by the end of the season, I had predicted over 80% of the FCS teams final standings within 1.5 games of their final standing. And you're gonna allow a little coaches poll to sway you? James Madison finishing 8th in the CAA? C'mon man!

Thanks for asking UNHFan...

I was just a little off on my #1, but everything else happened exactly like I thought it would. xlolx

Number 9 kinda happened....except it wasn't the post season...not a hooters girl....and the waitress kicked ass. xlolx

IBleedYellow
November 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
I still remember Grizo falling over.

Or at least the story. Damnit I am bummed I missed that fall! xrotatehx

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2014, 12:47 PM
ChattyTown was certainly on-point with his projections for Mercer...

This is exactly what I was talking about. Be prepared for a major dissapointment if you are expecting anything other than blowout after blowout.

chattownmocs
November 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=FUBeAR;2183203]ChattyTown was certainly on-point with his projections for Mercer...

Congratulations on the 1 win season. You suck.