PDA

View Full Version : 5 Games I'm Keeping An Eye On-10/21/06

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 11:13 AM
Thought I'd share with the rest of you'uns something I've done on the MMB since 2002.

Here are some of the rules I play by: I have to choose one to use, so I use the Sports Network poll. I try to pick games on a National scale but not necessarily the top dog games. Sort of "off the radar" type of games that affect the season's bottom line. I don't typically pick SoCon games and I don't pick Appalachian games.

One more thing. NONE of what I type is to be taken as "smack" as it is not intended. Just my observations on a team's performance so far. Should any more of my guidelines need to be pointed out, I'll let you know.

Bottom line here? I'm looking for upsets, period. Since 2002, I'm averaging about 2.5 per week. Sometimes I go 0-fer, sometimes I do well
So, here ya go:

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 11:15 AM
I think this week has the potential to be brilliant (as in a ton of upsets), or very dull:

->#11 Hampton (7-0) @ South Carolina St (2-3)--This is a battle of the top 2 MEAC offenses. I'll take the team that plays tough at home and has played a much tougher schedule almost any day.

->#15 Harvard (5-0) @ #32 Princeton (5-0)--Princeton has the Ivy Leagues #1 ranked Pass D, where Haah-vaahd is dead last. On the other hand, Haah-vaahd is the Ivy's best Run Defense. Overall, howevah, this game boils down to one matchup: Princeton's Ivy best defense vs. Hah-vaahd's Ivy best Offense...by now, everyone should know which I prefer, especially at home

->#19 Maine (4-2) vs Hofstra (2-3)--I've picked the Black Bears a couple of times and they've proven me wrong, but for some reason I'm not sold on 'em. Hofstra has one of the A-25's best Passing attacks, and guess who has one of the league's worst passing Defenses....you guessed it, Maine. Otherwise, these are two statistically similar teams

->#31 Charleston Southern (6-0) vs VMI (1-6)--You know it. I know it. The Buc's record is built on a house of cards. While VMI has been playing a lights out schedule they can be proud of (Army, Norfolk St, Richmond, William & Mary, James Madison), Charleston Southern has been playing dolls with the likes of 4, yes 4 non-DI teams (Wingate, Presbyterian, Ed Waters, North Greenville) plus Savannah State. That's 5 pathetic teams to schedule. They, as well as their Big South brethren, should be ashamed. This is a game, when factoring in schedules, the statistics don't matter. Just look at the competition and you'll see why Chas Southern is 1st in almost every Big South category, and why VMI is last.

->#35 Delaware State (3-2) @ Morgan State (4-3)--The Bears have won 4 of 5. Also, this is their only home game in a 5 game stretch. Additionally, this is Morgan's Homecoming. Against very similar competition, give me the better Defense at home.

Others of interest:

->#27 Montana St (3-3) @ Idaho St (2-4) 2 of ISU's losses were to I-A teams
->#18 UC-Davis (3-3) vs Southern Utah (3-4)

Dane96
October 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Big App...you are going to kill me...but how can USD-Drake not be up there?

GO DRAKE!!! ;)

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
good question! 2 reasons, really.

Those who follow I-AA football already have their eyes on this game, and how much of an "upset" would it really be?

But, trust me, I'm watching out for it! :smiley_wi

Catmendue2
October 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
good question! 2 reasons, really.

Those who follow I-AA football already have their eyes on this game, and how much of an "upset" would it really be?

But, trust me, I'm watching out for it! :smiley_wi

You better watchout for GaSou.:smiley_wi

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
You better watchout for GaSou.:smiley_wi

:eyebrow:

AppGuy04
October 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
SCSU is up on Hampton in the 4th, 13-6

BigApp
October 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM
SCSU is up on Hampton in the 4th, 13-6

:nod:

MaineFan
October 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Maine is up 21-10 late in the 3rd.

AppGuy04
October 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hampton goes down 13-6 at SCSU

Coastal89
October 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hampton goes down 13-6 at SCSU
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

MaineFan
October 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
maine wins 21-10..excellent defense by Maine again today.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
UNI-YSU didn't make the list? :confused:

October 22nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray::eyebrow:

BigApp
October 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think this week has the potential to be brilliant (as in a ton of upsets), or very dull:

->#11 Hampton-6 @ South Carolina St-13

->#15 Harvard-28 @ #32 Princeton-31

->#19 Maine-21 vs Hofstra-10

->#31 Charleston Southern-27 vs VMI-22--ohh so close

->#35 Delaware State-29 @ Morgan State-7

Others of interest:

->#27 Montana St-42 @ Idaho St-35
->#18 UC-Davis-27 vs Southern Utah-7

Not the best of weeks, but I'll take it!

BigApp
October 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
UNI-YSU didn't make the list? :confused:

Good q, PRob. The purpose of the list is to bring to light some of the games that aren't necessarily in the spotlight, but DO affect the bigger picture. Your game definitely was, and there are times where I'll list these big games, but I try to limit it to 5 games and a few others.

Doesn't mean we weren't watching. And hopefully, after a couple of weeks, it'll be clearer as to what I'm trying to do with my list.:)