PDA

View Full Version : San Diego-The Real Question

Tealblood
October 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I know this may get me lynched on here but here as I see it is the real Question concerning SD.
8 bids gone to Auto-Q
3 more gone in all likliehood to next 3 A-10'ers
2 more gone in all likliehood to next 2 Gatewayers
1 more to loser of App-Furman
1 more to Cal-Poly
1 spot left

Now my scenarios of next couple of teams assuming all win out:

CCU 9-2 ( all 11 teams full scholly)with 1 win over a top 10 team, 1 loss to an improved Elon, & 1 loss at Ga Southern although down still pretty proud at home.

Charleston Southern 11-0 ( and yes I know both of these can't happen just making the argument ) undefeated 7 games against full Scholly teams plus 4 wins over less than Div I-AA

Portland State 8-3 I don't know who they have played except for Big Sky and a win over a I-A not sure if they play anybody that is not full scholly or non Div I-AA

Montana St 8-3 actually I think if they win out they have Auto from big Sky so we then talk about Montana for the at-large either way--way stronger than anything SD could muster.

Let the lynching commence, but this is the real question we need to figure out is San Diego better or more qualified than any of these teams. I think we can all agree on a resounding NO

usdtoreros
October 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I know this may get me lynched on here but here as I see it is the real Question concerning SD.
8 bids gone to Auto-Q
3 more gone in all likliehood to next 3 A-10'ers
2 more gone in all likliehood to next 2 Gatewayers
1 more to loser of App-Furman
1 more to Cal-Poly
1 spot left

Now my scenarios of next couple of teams assuming all win out:

CCU 9-2 ( all 11 teams full scholly)with 1 win over a top 10 team, 1 loss to an improved Elon, & 1 loss at Ga Southern although down still pretty proud at home.

Charleston Southern 11-0 ( and yes I know both of these can't happen just making the argument ) undefeated 7 games against full Scholly teams plus 4 wins over less than Div I-AA

Portland State 8-3 I don't know who they have played except for Big Sky and a win over a I-A not sure if they play anybody that is not full scholly or non Div I-AA

Montana St 8-3 actually I think if they win out they have Auto from big Sky so we then talk about Montana for the at-large either way--way stronger than anything SD could muster.

Let the lynching commence, but this is the real question we need to figure out is San Diego better or more qualified than any of these teams. I think we can all agree on a resounding NO

Great breakdown. I am sure this is exactly what the committee will be doing when trying to decide who gets in. It seems if every team competing for the final playoff spot wins out, USD will probably not get it. I think where it gets interesting is if those teams lose between now and then. It is easy to assume all those teams will win out, but we have to wait to see if that happens.

OL FU
October 20th, 2006, 03:51 PM
The Charleston Southern argument is actually comparable.
Perhaps, Charleston plays a better overall schedule than USD, but not much. USD played Yale. Charleston Southern plays CCU (then add Liberty and GW). I don't think makes much of a case for Charleston to get in the playoffs.

It is a real pity that the UC Davis game is after the playoff start. 11-0 with that one a win could have sealed the deal for San Diego.

Presonally, I am not sure Charleston Southern gets in at 11-0.

Tealblood
October 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Agreed Charleston Southern does not get in at 11-0 so why even debate San Diego.

As my dad would say it is a non-starter

grizbeer
October 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM
A couple things -

If PSU ends up 8-3 they have to get an at-large, cause that would require a win over Oregon - unless PSU takes Oregon to overtime I don't see them getting in at 7-4.

I know this might make Cat fans mad, but the only way I see MSU in is if they get the auto bid, I don't think 7-4 with a D-II loss will make it. If UM ends up 9-2 or 8-3 and loses to MSU Griz will get an at-large.

Cal Poly has a very tough schedule left - South Dakota State is improving, but they should be able to get past them, then they go to San Diego State (MWC I-A), to Montana, then at home against NDSU before finishing with Savannah State. Since 1 of their wins was against a D-II Cal Poly will need to win 2 of those first 4 just to qualify, and then they would be marginal with 7 D-I wins, but 8-3 overall would probably get them in.

I would be shocked if these 3 teams ended up with more than 1 at-large bid, and I would say probably neither the BSC or Cal Poly will get an at-large this year (I think road games at UM and SDSU, with NDSU at home will be too tough).

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Glad folks are finally hopping on the bandwagon...

An 11-0 Charleston Southern is very comparable to an undefeated San Diego squad. Would you take an 11-0 Chuck South squad? The answer is no on my end, which is why I have yet to vote for them in the AGS top 25. So, the same answer is probably no for San Diego since they are very comparable...

October 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
or a fourth team from the GFC...

Tealblood
October 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM
a 4th from Gateway is head and shoulders above San Diego qualifications wise

This was the point of my thread we are talking about arguably the last spot.

My example was of four teams resumes who would be better