View Full Version : Erk & The College Football HOF...

Baldy
October 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.680thefan.com/viewArticle.aspx?aid=19

"Erk Russell deserves to be in the College Football Hall of Fame. But don’t look for that to happen anytime soon. The man will go down as one of the greatest D-1 defensive coordinators of all-time. During his seventeen years at the University of Georgia, Coach Russell impacted lives like no other, and his split 60 defense slowed down the option attacks of the 60’s and 70’s. Many times, his Junkyard ‘Dog defenses were ranked in the Top 10 nationally. But that is only part of the story. After helping lead Georgia to the 1980 National Championship, Erk relocated to South Georgia and took over a Georgia Southern program that had been dormant for forty years. The Eagles played club football for a couple of years and entered 1-AA competition in 1984. A year later, Coach Russell had Georgia Southern celebrating a national championship........."

GannonFan
October 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Why won't he be in the Hall of Fame? Tubby got in from Delaware. I think Roy Kidd is in. Erk is a shoe-in.

Edit - skipped that part in the article where they have requirements for years of service. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets passed over and Erk still gets in.

Appdad
October 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Why won't he be in the Hall of Fame? Tubby got in from Delaware. I think Roy Kidd is in. Erk is a shoe-in.

Edit - skipped that part in the article where they have requirements for years of service. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets passed over and Erk still gets in.

Vince Dooley will bring his considerable influence to the issue if needed and Erk will be in!