PDA

View Full Version : Sunbelt interested in adding Liberty

Pages : [1] 2

Laker
March 26th, 2014, 07:23 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24460439/liberty-among-4-6-schools-vying-for-12th-sun-belt-spot

DFW HOYA
March 26th, 2014, 08:28 AM
"The Sun Belt Conference is looking to add a 12th member by June 1 and has received interest from 4-6 FCS-level schools, commissioner Karl Benson says."

In no particular order: Liberty, JMU..who else?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 26th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Karl Benson, master of the non-event news event.

So the commissioner is not sure how many FCS schools are interested? 4, 5, or 6? Not saying that Liberty wouldn't mortgage their ski hill to become a member, of course they would, and JMU is interested in the FBS, though not necessarily in the Sun Belt.

My take is that the Sun Belt is interested in 4-6 FCS schools, not the other way around. One they don't really want (Liberty). Another they'd love to have on board (JMU), but the Dukes don't want to be in the Sun Belt. They also could be interested in Delaware, maybe Towson, maybe Chatty. But those schools would have to be interested in playing Sun Belt football.

FargoBison
March 26th, 2014, 10:47 AM
"The Sun Belt Conference is looking to add a 12th member by June 1 and has received interest from 4-6 FCS-level schools, commissioner Karl Benson says."

Missouri State and EKU

superman7515
March 26th, 2014, 11:18 AM
He does say it's a team for the Eastern side of the conference so that they can split into divisions, so I think Missouri State might be on the wrong side of the line.

IBleedYellow
March 26th, 2014, 11:32 AM
They are going to have a **** storm over in Sunbeltbbs, those guys HATE Liberty with a passion. Oh I hope Liberty gets in. I'd laugh so hard.

Also, I'm sort of nervous if Mo State leaves for the Sun Belt. I mean, I can't fault a school for wanting to better itself, but the MVFC would need to add someone, and the MVC would lose a pretty good basketball school.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 26th, 2014, 11:58 AM
They are going to have a **** storm over in Sunbeltbbs, those guys HATE Liberty with a passion. Oh I hope Liberty gets in. I'd laugh so hard.

Also, I'm sort of nervous if Mo State leaves for the Sun Belt. I mean, I can't fault a school for wanting to better itself, but the MVFC would need to add someone, and the MVC would lose a pretty good basketball school.

Yeah, and there would be a trickle down **** storm as well if it were Mo. State because you know the first team speculated on would be UND. I know that would not be a happy thought for a lot of guys on the boards. xlolx

FargoBison
March 26th, 2014, 12:29 PM
He does say it's a team for the Eastern side of the conference so that they can split into divisions, so I think Missouri State might be on the wrong side of the line.

Well Mizzou is in the SEC east, not sure you can rule out anything when it comes to realignment.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Don't be surprised if JMU jumps to the SBC.

The only team that would surprise me is Missouri State. You're a basketball school, and you'd move your football to FBS to make a downward move for basketball?

aces1180
March 26th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Yeah, and there would be a trickle down **** storm as well if it were Mo. State because you know the first team speculated on would be UND. I know that would not be a happy thought for a lot of guys on the boards. xlolx

I'd rather the Summit/MVFC add Eastern Illinois instead...

marenlee
March 26th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Don't be surprised if JMU jumps to the SBC.

The only team that would surprise me is Missouri State. You're a basketball school, and you'd move your football to FBS to make a downward move for basketball?

Retarded move for them. 'Most' fans do not seem to care about football at their school. Especially when your basketball team easily outdraws your football team. xthumbsupx

Tealblood
March 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM
CCU

Catatonic
March 26th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Lamar is likely one of the 4-6 schools to express an interest. Note: Benson says the SBC needs to add a school from the east, not that all the schools who have expressed interest are from the east.

major095
March 26th, 2014, 01:37 PM
alabama state was reported to have contacted the sun belt last summer regarding possible membership.

centennial
March 26th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I'd rather the Summit/MVFC add Eastern Illinois instead...
Eastern is probably happy being the king in OVC. Why would they come to a conference where they would struggle to be in top 3 every year? I just hope we don't pull in UND, anyone but them if MSU goes.

FargoBison
March 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Eastern is probably happy being the king in OVC. Why would they come to a conference where they would struggle to be in top 3 every year? I just hope we don't pull in UND, anyone but them if MSU goes.

The MVFC will probably just stay at 9 if MSU leaves and go back to a true round robin.

clenz
March 26th, 2014, 03:26 PM
The MVFC will probably just stay at 9 if MSU leaves and go back to a true round robin.
This..

I have a feeling USD was added as a safety net in case someone leaves.

The MVC loves the true double round robin format (18 game basketball) and has said multiple times it will only go past 10 if a couple schools (Dayton, SLU, and/orBelmont) all agree to a move. At that point it may be considered.

That same sentiment is shared with the MVFC (the people in charge of the MVFC are second in command..ish...at the MVC). Going past 9 requires special reason. USD created an interesting piece with it being close to SDSU/UNI/NDSU and being a safety piece for a possible YSU/MSU move.

darell1976
March 26th, 2014, 04:02 PM

Just curious..why anyone but us?

Yotes
March 26th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I'd rather never see SDSU again, I imagine that's where he is coming from.

darell1976
March 26th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'd rather never see SDSU again, I imagine that's where he is coming from.

After 100+ games...why? I'm sorry I would love to see rivals (even hated, bitter ones) be played. I am excited that next year we start the home and home with your team, and it was nice last year to see South Dakota State again at home (even though we lost). Bubba should get our team back on track and maybe UND and USD will get a taste of the playoffs soon.

clenz
March 26th, 2014, 04:37 PM

Honest question for you...

What do you actually bring to the table for a conference?

Since Lennon left UND is 6-4 6-5 3-8 8-3 5-6 3-8 (31-34). The one good season UND had featured 4 wins against non-D1 teams and Drake.
Basketball at UND isn't going to attract anyone (other than conferences who are as bad as the Big Sky)
Hockey is clearly the #1 sport at UND and it's really not close. That's rather off putting to a good number of places..."We're going to focus all of our efforts on a sport that isn't associated with you. We don't care if the sports you sponsor aren't good and we don't add much value to your conference as long as hockey is good."
You bring zero media market, zero recruiting ground, zero easy travel partner situations (that would already exist for NDSU with SDSU and USD)

wapiti
March 26th, 2014, 04:43 PM

But wouldn't a yearly rivalry conference game with UND draw in more interest and money to both schools and the conference?
Yes I understand you hate UND, and with that you probably want to see UND get smacked. Why wouldn't you want your team to have that chance every year? Unless your scared they would xasswhipx you?

darell1976
March 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM

Since Lennon left UND is 6-4 6-5 3-8 8-3 5-6 3-8 (31-34). The one good season UND had featured 4 wins against non-D1 teams and Drake.
Basketball at UND isn't going to attract anyone (other than conferences who are as bad as the Big Sky)
Hockey is clearly the #1 sport at UND and it's really not close. That's rather off putting to a good number of places..."We're going to focus all of our efforts on a sport that isn't associated with you. We don't care if the sports you sponsor aren't good and we don't add much value to your conference as long as hockey is good."
You bring zero media market, zero recruiting ground, zero easy travel partner situations (that would already exist for NDSU with SDSU and USD)

UND has a tv contract (Midcontinent and Fox College Sports), UND dumped Muss so hopefully our football record will increase, what does basketball have to do with the MVFC? I don't think UND has to go all MVC to join the MVFC, because UND has a sweet deal in the Big Sky with ALL games available on watchbigsky.com No way the Summit League has anything attractive to that, and UND is far (like Pluto far) from joining the MVC. Yes hockey is our #1 sport, but UND won a NC in women's basketball in 1999, a hockey NC in 2000 and a football NC in 2001 so its not like we can't be successful in more than just hockey. USD had similar records in their transition and yet MVFC accepted them so records are kinda mute isn't it?

clenz
March 26th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Have you read nothing I've ever posted?

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

darell1976
March 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Have you read nothing I've ever posted?

Yes, and I answered every question you posted. MSU leaves that would be one spot open in the MVFC (I know it also leaves the spot open in the MVC but football first), and you said UND offers nothing and I gave you examples that proves you wrong.

Herder
March 26th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Yes, and I answered every question you posted. MSU leaves that would be one spot open in the MVFC (I know it also leaves the spot open in the MVC but football first), and you said UND offers nothing and I gave you examples that proves you wrong.

Why even bother to invite UND? That would make way too much sense, so surely the brass at UND would say "NO" for no other reason than to be able to say they got an offer and turned it down. It can't be a good idea for UND, cause that's where NDSU is . . . it just can't!

FargoBison
March 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM
But wouldn't a yearly rivalry conference game with UND draw in more interest and money to both schools and the conference?
Yes I understand you hate UND, and with that you probably want to see UND get smacked. Why wouldn't you want your team to have that chance every year? Unless your scared they would xasswhipx you?

The eastern MVFC AD's would rather bathe in liquid hot asphalt than add UND to the league. That is an extra charter flight for all of their schools. An extra charter flight to play a school that none of their fans give a single damn about.

From an NDSU standpoint having UND in the MVFC would be fine, since I would never have to hear about scheduling them again in non-conference play.

clenz
March 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM

You literally offer the mvfc nothing it doesn't have already. The only thing und brings to the table is a lot of extra travel costs to bum **** egypt .

What do you offer the summit? Your tv contract isn't anything ndsu doesn't cover. Travel partners? Already taken care of.

Your d2 titles? Big ****ing deal.

You haven't read a single thing I've posted, and not just this thread. I've given you literally hundreds of reasons and counter points every time this comes up.

Theline about the eastern schools rather taking a bath in hot asphalt is 100 percent correct...And by eastern UNI is included in that

Dave195
March 26th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I don't see how the Big South survives long term. Liberty is going to leave, and Monmouth will also join a more regional conference in a few years. I know Kenn St. is joining in '15, but still.

citdog
March 26th, 2014, 06:35 PM
liberty would be yet another good riddance from the fcs. falwellites make me nervous.

darell1976
March 26th, 2014, 06:57 PM
You literally offer the mvfc nothing it doesn't have already. The only thing und brings to the table is a lot of extra travel costs to bum **** egypt .

What do you offer the summit? Your tv contract isn't anything ndsu doesn't cover. Travel partners? Already taken care of.

Your d2 titles? Big ****ing deal.

You haven't read a single thing I've posted, and not just this thread. I've given you literally hundreds of reasons and counter points every time this comes up.

Theline about the eastern schools rather taking a bath in hot asphalt is 100 percent correct...And by eastern UNI is included in that

Opinions vary, good thing you aren't the AD or president of UNI.

Tealblood
March 26th, 2014, 08:38 PM
The problem is the sunbelt wants schools for all sports not just football

the cost to send the lower teir sports all over is too expensive

GABison
March 26th, 2014, 09:50 PM

I would rather have UND than Eastern Illinois. In this neck of the woods, potential competitive conference mates should not be ignored.

Daryl, with the addition of Oral Roberts and Denver, the Summit is showing good signs of strength and stability. Do you think Faison would pick up the phone if Douple called?

SpiritCymbal
March 26th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Sorry about this. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people twist words just to make something more sensational than it actually is.

Thread title = "Sunbelt interested in adding Liberty"
First line of article = "...has received interest from 4-6 FCS-level schools..."

Liberty will not be joining the Sun Belt anytime soon. Little to no interest from member institutions.

Move along...nothing to see here.

Cocky
March 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM

Not sure JMU is interesting or they would be a member.
One which have been named as having interest to my knowledge (not sure if currently interested or the seriousness).
Liberty
JSU
AL State
Lamar
Sam Houston
EKU

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I would rather have UND than Eastern Illinois. In this neck of the woods, potential competitive conference mates should not be ignored.

Daryl, with the addition of Oral Roberts and Denver, the Summit is showing good signs of strength and stability. Do you think Faison would pick up the phone if Douple called?

Not sure. If (and just my opinion) UND could get a MVFC/SL deal like USD I think they may look at it. I know things are ugly between Kelley (UND's president) and Douple but maybe they could smooth things over. Plus with Idaho coming back to the BSC it wouldn't mess up any schedules in Olympic sports. I think the football part makes it tricky.

Catatonic
March 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM
la
Sorry about this. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people twist words just to make something more sensational than it actually is.

First line of article = "...has received interest from 4-6 FCS-level schools..."

Liberty will not be joining the Sun Belt anytime soon. Little to no interest from member institutions.

I have been looking at the Troy fan site to keep up with their spring practice since Troy is on our schedule this fall. They have had an interesting thread on Sunbelt expansion. A brief summary: 1. SB expansion is a given so the conference can divide into two divisions and have a championship game. 2. JMU is a strong preference but JMU appears to be holding out for CUSA. 3. Given a choice of Liberty or another school from the west such as Sam or Lamar, the preference is for Liberty. Only one or two brought up Liberty's religious affiliation as an obstacle. Others quickly pointed out that the SB would be thrilled take other church related schools such as BYU or the Fighting Irish, and should be equally pleased to take Liberty. Never been to Liberty, but the consensus seemed to be that their athletic facilities are as good or better than most SB schools and their academic ranking is above most universities in the conference. No dog in this hunt, just offering a summary of one fan group's comments.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM

So you're aware of Karl Benson's work?

Sandlapper Spike
March 27th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Karl Benson: the X-factor. Or maybe the Z-factor...

IBleedYellow
March 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM

This is pretty much spot on.

You are known as a hockey school, you made your bed, now sleep in it. There are what, 10 UN_ fans on AGS? I think that is conservatively high.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 01:07 PM
This is pretty much spot on.

You are known as a hockey school, you made your bed, now sleep in it. There are what, 10 UN_ fans on AGS? I think that is conservatively high.

Yes we are a hockey school, so what...ISUb is a basketball school, you are a football school (explains why the MVC didn't want you when there was an opening), and what does the number of fans on a message board have to do with getting a conference invite? That is the dumbest reason I have ever heard.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Yes we are a hockey school, so what...ISUb is a basketball school, you are a football school (explains why the MVC didn't want you when there was an opening), and what does the number of fans on a message board have to do with getting a conference invite? That is the dumbest reason I have ever heard.
The type of school you are is a huge thing.

You can say good thing I"m not an AD, or whomever else.

Fact is everything we have said is completely true and is a huge factor for ADs

centennial
March 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
We have no reason to bring in UND to MVFC. Your football is subpar, you will increase travel costs, your attendance is poor. Plus we have 9 to have round robin if MSU leaves, USD was admitted as insurance for YSU or MSU leaving. Plus MVFC is a more competitive league, even with improvements you will be hard pressed to make the 2 maybe 3 spots that we get. Big Sky gets more teams and is top heavy. I don't see why you would move football to MVFC unless you could get into summit as well.
As an NDSU fan I would like to see our teams playing once every 2-3 years.

FargoBison
March 27th, 2014, 01:59 PM

Basketball is a third tier sport on your campus, that is not a good thing. Not something many ADs and Presidents can relate to.

Your women's hockey coach makes more money then your men's basketball coach. UND's priorities are so far out of whack it isn't funny.

AshevilleApp2
March 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Basketball is a third tier sport on your campus, that is not a good thing. Not something many ADs and Presidents can relate to.

Your women's hockey coach makes more money then your men's basketball coach. UND's priorities are so far out of whack it isn't funny.

Maybe they just have different priorities?

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM

Just what is our priorities and why is it out of whack?

FargoBison
March 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Just what is our priorities and why is it out of whack?

Your priority is hockey, a priority very few other schools have.

Your women's hockey coach makes $116k and your men's bb coach makes $100k. I'd say that is out of whack.

Clenz knocked it out of the park when he said this...

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Your priority is hockey, a priority very few other schools have.

Your women's hockey coach makes $116k and your men's bb coach makes $100k. I'd say that is out of whack.

Clenz knocked it out of the park when he said this...

Didn't stop DU from joining the Summit League. Doesn't stop UNH from competing in the FCS playoffs. Doesn't stop Harvard from knocking off a 5 seed in basketball. Just because a team has college hockey doesn't mean they can't be good in other sports.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Maybe they just have different priorities?

Yes and it probably does play a large role in their relative attractiveness to some conferences. It's all fine and dandy for your school to hold a niche sport in high esteem but it just doesn't hold any water with schools/conferences that do not. It's not an asset in other words as far as the BSC, MVFC, and so forth go.

Not that you dn't already know that but clenz and FargoBison make some salient points even if their delivery can be less than refined. xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Didn't stop DU from joining the Summit League. Doesn't stop UNH from competing in the FCS playoffs. Doesn't stop Harvard from knocking off a 5 seed in basketball. Just because a team has college hockey doesn't mean they can't be good in other sports.

No, but it means you can't be good in other sports. UND absolutely puts all of its eggs in the hockey basket. No big deal, you won't pay your other coaches a fraction of what you pay Hakstol and that will always be a barrier.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2014, 03:09 PM

Completely true but if that school isn't good at those other sports (currently) then none of those things matter. At present UND is not in the same area as some of the other hockey playing schools used as examples so it just doesn't make the argument at this time.

FargoBison
March 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Denver pays their basketball coach $412k...only Summit school that pays more is ORU who pays Sutton $488k. Denver puts a lot of resources into hoops, they are a hockey school but they are committed to doing both at a high level.

Omaha is another hockey school in the Summit. They got rid of football because they knew they couldn't do hockey, basketball and football at a high level.

UND has a tough road to hoe, it takes a lot of resources to win at football, hoops and hockey. At UND when it comes to where the money goes first, hockey is always going to be at the front of line for those resources.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Yes and it probably does play a large role in their relative attractiveness to some conferences. It's all fine and dandy for your school to hold a niche sport in high esteem but it just doesn't hold any water with schools/conferences that do not. It's not an asset in other words as far as the BSC, MVFC, and so forth go.

Not that you dn't already know that but clenz and FargoBison make some salient points even if their delivery can be less than refined. xlolx
I'm always ****ing refined you ****ing ****

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM

Exactly this. Basketball being lower than second tier is a major issue for the vast majority of conferences.

Though out of whack isn't where I'd go. They are out of whack for 99% of conferences but they make sense for what UND wants.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Completely true but if that school isn't good at those other sports (currently) then none of those things matter. At present UND is not in the same area as some of the other hockey playing schools used as examples so it just doesn't make the argument at this time.

True our football team is ****, but history proves that won't be the case forever (hopefully we will be back in the next couple years), our men's basketball team was 1 game from the dance but no way we would have knocked off Arizona (WSU's oppenent), and I don't think UND wants to join the Summit League, when our baseball team was denied membership along with UNC, when they had membership problems. I see Clenz's reasons but because our main resources is hockey doesn't mean we can't compete. Volleyball won the regular season in the BSC, women's basketball went to the dance, men's basketball went to the CIT for the 4th time (most by any team), so its actually football that is sitting at rock bottom. In just talking football USD had almost the exact same transition record as UND (only Dakota team not to win a GWFC title), SDSU lost to a non DI team and has never beaten an FBS school, the same with UND. Geography is NOT our friend, but how many conferences in the FCS, FBS, DII, DIII have teams within a stone's throw of each other? In our DII days, no one was close to Northern Colorado, no one is close to the U of San Diego, UMass in the MAC, hell the Miami Dolphins isn't close to their other 3 division rivals. Why should that be a difference when admitting a school...it didn't for the Big Sky.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:24 PM
DU puts more money into their basketball program that a good number of D1 universities.

Denver was on a short list for the MVC. Based on everything you've seen me say that tells you something about DU's basketball priorities.

UNH puts a priority on Hockey but not to the detriment of other programs. Same for Harvard.

The fact that UND is paying a D1 basketball coach 100K is ****ing crazy. UNI's DBO makes that. While the priorities aren't out of whack for UND they are out of whack to be attractive to almost ever conference.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
True our football team is ****, but history proves that won't be the case forever (hopefully we will be back in the next couple years), our men's basketball team was 1 game from the dance but no way we would have knocked off Arizona (WSU's oppenent), and I don't think UND wants to join the Summit League, when our baseball team was denied membership along with UNC, when they had membership problems. I see Clenz's reasons but because our main resources is hockey doesn't mean we can't compete. Volleyball won the regular season in the BSC, women's basketball went to the dance, men's basketball went to the CIT for the 4th time (most by any team), so its actually football that is sitting at rock bottom. In just talking football USD had almost the exact same transition record as UND (only Dakota team not to win a GWFC title), SDSU lost to a non DI team and has never beaten an FBS school, the same with UND. Geography is NOT our friend, but how many conferences in the FCS, FBS, DII, DIII have teams within a stone's throw of each other? In our DII days, no one was close to Northern Colorado, no one is close to the U of San Diego, UMass in the MAC, hell the Miami Dolphins isn't close to their other 3 division rivals. Why should that be a difference when admitting a school...it didn't for the Big Sky.
You lost me when you bragged about being 1 game from the dance in the **** ass conference that is the Big Sky...which the 6th place MVC team would likely have won.

Also...bragging about the CIT? Really? Yeah....

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
DU puts more money into their basketball program that a good number of D1 universities.

Denver was on a short list for the MVC. Based on everything you've seen me say that tells you something about DU's basketball priorities.

UNH puts a priority on Hockey but not to the detriment of other programs. Same for Harvard.

The fact that UND is paying a D1 basketball coach 100K is ****ing crazy. UNI's DBO makes that. While the priorities aren't out of whack for UND they are out of whack to be attractive to almost ever conference.

Brian Jones has been at UND since we were in DII (2006), he was an assistant coach at Iowa (yes that Iowa) from 02-06 when we left for UND, he hasn't done really anything great unless you count 4 CIT berths (most by any team), and kissing .500 almost every year. UND's AD opened up the checkbook on UND football since hiring his first head coach (Mussman was hired when UND was inbetween AD's), so maybe they will do the same with basketball. Women's sports are kicking butt in DI, the men's sports are lacking. It's the opposite at NDSU where the men's sports (football, basketball) are kicking butt and the women's sports (basketball, volleyball) are lacking.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
You lost me when you bragged about being 1 game from the dance in the **** ass conference that is the Big Sky...which the 6th place MVC team would likely have won.

Also...bragging about the CIT? Really? Yeah....

I wasn't bragging, just telling where our basketball team sits, and why our coach is only making that much. He and his team hasn't done anything. UND hasn't been that great in basketball since our DII days.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Denver pays their basketball coach $412k...only Summit school that pays more is ORU who pays Sutton $488k. Denver puts a lot of resources into hoops, they are a hockey school but they are committed to doing both at a high level.

Omaha is another hockey school in the Summit. They got rid of football because they knew they couldn't do hockey, basketball and football at a high level.

UND has a tough road to hoe, it takes a lot of resources to win at football, hoops and hockey. At UND when it comes to where the money goes first, hockey is always going to be at the front of line for those resources.

You sure the University of Nebraska-Lincoln didn't have anything to do with that?

SpiritCymbal
March 27th, 2014, 03:34 PM
So you're aware of Karl Benson's work?

Yes. And just like every other conference commissioner in the NCAA, he can't do s*** without approval from the member institutions president's.

So, I reiterate...Little to no interest from member institutions. Liberty might be interested in the Sun Belt, but (despite the title of the thread) the Sun Belt does not have interest in adding Liberty.

FargoBison
March 27th, 2014, 03:39 PM
You sure the University of Nebraska-Lincoln didn't have anything to do with that?

Not sure why Nebraska would care about what Omaha does with its football program. FCS football is no threat to them.

Fact is FCS football is very expensive, a school like Omaha only has so much money and if it wanted to go DI something had to give.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Not sure why Nebraska would care about what Omaha does with its football program. FCS football is no threat to them.

Fact is FCS football is very expensive, a school like Omaha only has so much money and if it wanted to go DI something had to give.

1 name....Trev Alberts

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6488960

UNO athletic director Trev Alberts said the university couldn't afford to keep football and wrestling in its move up from Division II to join the Division I Summit League, which doesn't sponsor the two sports. But an analysis of various financial statements and studies by "Outside the Lines" and economist Andy Schwarz shows discrepancies in UNO's numbers and raises questions about predictions that the university will fare better financially in Division I without the two programs.

Alberts, who was hired as athletic director two years ago, is a former All-American linebacker from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. After three years in the NFL, he became a TV sports analyst and worked for ESPN until 2005.

Alberts, along with UNO Chancellor John Christensen and other university officials, turned down several requests by "Outside the Lines" to review the figures, and they declined to any answer questions about the university's decision.

"By choosing to make the jump to D-I without football, UNO has made their chance of success much lower," Schwarz said. "Whatever additional money and other benefits they will earn [in D-I] is less than they would likely earn if football were part of the D-I package, because they've understated the benefits of football and wrestling by about $1.5 million."

In public statements, Alberts said the football program was losing $1.3 million a year. However, according to financial statements filed with the NCAA that "Outside the Lines" obtained through public records requests, the football program was short $50,500 in revenue, and the wrestling program was ahead by $143,000 for the 2009-10 fiscal year.

Bober, Deeb and other supporters also believe a reason behind dropping the football program comes from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, home to the Cornhuskers, who might see a Division I football team in Omaha as a threat to its successful walk-on program. Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said that isn't true, and chancellor Harvey Perlman said he heard of UNO's Division I plans only about a week before they were finalized.

"Because of the potential powerhouse that Nebraska-Omaha could have built, I think that was intimidating to the powers that be at Lincoln. And I think there might be some other scenarios," Deeb said. "One of my first thoughts was, you know, Trev Alberts is in line for Tom Osborne's job. Or it's going to look a heck of a lot better coming from … a complete, full Division I school on your resume than it is coming from a Division II school with Division I hockey."

Perlman wouldn't comment on whether Alberts was being considered as the next athletic director in Lincoln.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Brian Jones has been at UND since we were in DII (2006), he was an assistant coach at Iowa (yes that Iowa) from 02-06 when we left for UND, he hasn't done really anything great unless you count 4 CIT berths (most by any team), and kissing .500 almost every year. UND's AD opened up the checkbook on UND football since hiring his first head coach (Mussman was hired when UND was inbetween AD's), so maybe they will do the same with basketball. Women's sports are kicking butt in DI, the men's sports are lacking. It's the opposite at NDSU where the men's sports (football, basketball) are kicking butt and the women's sports (basketball, volleyball) are lacking.Coaches at UNI making more than UND head BB coach (or close to)

Ben Jacobson - MBB HC- 500-600k with a 25K increase each season
PJ Hogan - MBB asst coach - 90k
Kyle Green - MBB asst coach - 90k
Eric Crawford - MBB asst coach 85k
Derek Netten - MBB DBO 65K
Mark Farley - FB HC - 350k
Bill Salmon - FB asst coach - 95k
Rick Nelson - OL coach - 80k
Marion Verduzco - FB asst coach - 92k
Tanya Warren - WBB HC - 130K
Dan Steele - TF/XC HC - 90k
Doug Schwab - WR HC - 95k
Ryan Jacobs - Softball - 70k
Bobbi Petersen - VB HC - 160k
Kalani Mahi - VB asst coach - 75k

I have a real strong feeling UNI has assistant track/wrestling/volleyball/wbb coaches making as much/more than some HC at UND.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I wasn't bragging, just telling where our basketball team sits, and why our coach is only making that much. He and his team hasn't done anything. UND hasn't been that great in basketball since our DII days.
You'll never be good if that's all you're going to pay a coach.

That's the type of committment that other conferences (Summit, Horizon, MVC, A10, etc...) look at. They don't give two ****s about hockey.

UND is so far on an island in so many ways it should really be depressing for UND fans

- - - Updated - - -

UN-O dropped football 100% because of UN-L...
Same with wrestling

The only way they'd get D1 is without them.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM

That's the type of committment that other conferences (Summit, Horizon, MVC, A10, etc...) look at. They don't give two ****s about hockey.

UND is so far on an island in so many ways it should really be depressing for UND fans

It's not though, they love their butthockey and couldn't give one **** less about other sports.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
It's not though, they love their butthockey and couldn't give one **** less about other sports.

Which is sad that there are fans that care only for one sport (your school has that too..buttfootball).

FargoBison
March 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Just think their basketball coach was just given a raise this year to $100k, he was making like $85k before. They have what is probably the nicest arena in the country at the college level and their basketball program doesn't use it. It is a weird situation.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Which is sad that there are fans that care only for one sport (your school has that too..buttfootball).

Did you see how many people were in Spokane? Forget it. You're boxed in Darell.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Did you see how many people were in Spokane? Forget it. You're boxed in Darell.

Winning = great attendance.

clenz
March 27th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Winning = great attendance.

And you'll never win if you're university is paying your head coach what other mid major universities are paying assistant coaches and dbos.

You can't win with the kind if coach that 100k is going to attract. You can't win with a university that isn't willing to put the required backing to win.

It can't be done...And if you do find a coach that can somehow find magic in a bottle once in your ****ty conference he's bolting for the first offer he gets because even if he fails he'll make more in those 4-6 years than 12 or more at the previous school and be able to fall back to a program like yours after he fails twice more

centennial
March 27th, 2014, 04:46 PM
I have to commend you Darell. You took some team is going to move to sun belt to let's talk about UND with the help of NDSU fans. How about we talk about how good your basketball or football program is and deserves to move to a better conference when you actually perform in D1?
Why don't you start a thread on SS about if you guys should move to MVFC and Summit? The situation is so dire at UND that if your coach gets to big dance he will be gone for sure next year, 100k does not inspire confidence for any basketball league. Neither does a poor football team, poor attendance and low school support for MVFC.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I have to commend you Darell. You took some team is going to move to sun belt to let's talk about UND with the help of NDSU fans. How about we talk about how good your basketball or football program is and deserves to move to a better conference when you actually perform in D1?
Why don't you start a thread on SS about if you guys should move to MVFC and Summit? The situation is so dire at UND that if your coach gets to big dance he will be gone for sure next year, 100k does not inspire confidence for any basketball league. Neither does a poor football team, poor attendance and low school support for MVFC.

So you are blaming me when UAH brought up UND first. Obviously you only read what you want.

centennial
March 27th, 2014, 04:55 PM
So you are blaming me when UAH brought up UND first. Obviously you only read what you want.
Not blaming you, politely asking if you can make another thread to discuss if UND would be a good fit for MVFC(bison fans are equally to blame for drifting)? Let's leave this topic to people who want to discuss what teams might move to the sunbelt.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Not blaming you, politely asking if you can make another thread to discuss if UND would be a good fit for MVFC(bison fans are equally to blame for drifting)? Let's leave this topic to people who want to discuss what teams might move to the sunbelt.

Fine. I will stop in this thread unless it's about the SB, I ask everyone else do the same.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Fine. I will stop in this thread unless it's about the SB, I ask everyone else do the same.

You did nothing wrong. Your opinions are all incorrect but you followed the thread just fine.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 05:11 PM
You did nothing wrong. Your opinions are all incorrect but you followed the thread just fine.

I know but it should be about Liberty and the SB not UND and the MVFC/SL. So I apologize for adding to the thread drift.

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I know but it should be about Liberty and the SB not UND and the MVFC/SL. So I apologize for adding to the thread drift.

It's a boring non-story. No reason not to drift it to something a little bit interesting.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2014, 06:18 PM

Ah, I don't know but it ain't that big of a deal to me at least. We all drifted into something more interesting to us.

What I am having trouble with though is you trying to shift the drift blame to me. xlolx

Here's my analogy of what happened here:

I simply pointed to a car in the parking lot. You went over and hotwired it and peeled out, did some cookies, ran some red lights, and then when a cop stops you and asks you where you got the car from because it was reported stolen you reply "ursus took it!".

Ya bastard. xlolx

Thanks for the lift though.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM
hmm, should have read that NoDak previously posted my first line of the post I guess.

I gotta start reading that dude's posts!

CID1990
March 27th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Awesome, AWESOME troll

GABison
March 27th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Thread drift is ok here. Talking about UND and the MVFC, is a lot more interesting than Sunbelt and Liberty. Not sure why just about everyone is hammering on UND. So what if football is not their #1 sport. What MVFC team, not named NDSU, considers their football program their #1 priority? The MVC, very much wants to be a basketball conference. In my opinion, UND would bring more to the MVFC than ISUb, MSU, USD and possibly Western Ill.

hebmskebm
March 27th, 2014, 07:04 PM
An AGS thread hasn't truly drifted until its taken over completely by Patriot Leaguers. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
March 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM
hmm, should have read that NoDak previously posted my first line of the post I guess.

Whoa, lets not get carried away here.

Tribal
March 27th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Kate Upton or Kate Perry? Both have tig-o-bitties and a lot of money.

darell1976
March 27th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Kate Upton or Kate Perry? Both have tig-o-bitties and a lot of money.

Are they joining the Sun Belt? ;)

Tribal
March 27th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Are they joining the Sun Belt? ;)

Yes, all 4 of them.

IBleedYellow
March 27th, 2014, 08:55 PM
One last thing:

Gene Taylor was on the Alabama Radio show this morning and they asked him NDSU's keys to success. The exact words were "How do you have a successful basketball program in a football town?" (...not quite exact, damn close though.)

Gene's reply: Have a fan base and backers that care about more than one sport, that want to see the university succeed in all facets that are possible. Along with the fans, you need an administration that desires and sees the finer points that will allow this trend towards these victories.

What's my point? Darrell, the majority of your fan base only cares to see one sport succeed, and you can't tell me they don't. If the others do, great, if they don't, so be it.

NDSU and football are the same way, but we still travel and follow the teams, because we do have a select group of us that are hard core.

citdog
March 27th, 2014, 10:14 PM

You Do?

who is nodak?

Lehigh'98
March 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM
RidiculousLehigh reading a hijacked thread about UND.

Lehigh has a new OC this year guys!!

superman7515
March 28th, 2014, 08:42 AM
You Do?

who is nodak?

I always thought that was what you called a gelding or a capon, at least, it is around here. That thing has no dak.

Apphole
March 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Please keep Falwell U.

Best Regards,
The Big Boys

citdog
March 28th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Please keep Falwell U.

Best Regards,
The Big Boys

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RvKvSYkmju2eaWYnKVXVwplexI6UMUMOEMKlMcIjNtlyCRpKm9 RA1znkavtUFO9-Viy58ILSccwFTys2dhANnELFpIPTUvcuzuoYeoDP30XbQ4d-GQ6vr6N8CrJH=s0-d-e1-ft#http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

centennial
March 28th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Please keep Falwell U.

Best Regards,
The Big Boys
Please have the best team from Sunbelt schedule NDSU,
Yours Truly,
The Little Guys

NoDak 4 Ever
March 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Please have the best team from Sunbelt schedule NDSU,
Yours Truly,
The Little Guys

Last year, that would have been Lafayette who lost by 3 TDs to K State. Not to get all transitive but, well......

Lehigh Football Nation
March 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Last year, that would have been Lafayette who lost by 3 TDs to K State. Not to get all transitive but, well......

Is that the same Lafayette that will be playing New Hampshire in the 1st round of the FCS playoffs?

centennial
March 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Is that the same Lafayette that will be playing New Hampshire in the 1st round of the FCS playoffs?
You making Sun Belt mad.. How dare you not know about a team in America's league?

NoDak 4 Ever
March 28th, 2014, 12:39 PM
HA! My bad. I forgot about the real Lafayette.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I always thought that was what you called a gelding or a capon, at least, it is around here. That thing has no dak.

What the hell? Did you grow up in a Pikey colony?

Language Alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDO-9hfaiI

Tealblood
March 31st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Liberty is soon heading to Sun Belt

NoDak 4 Ever
March 31st, 2014, 01:02 PM
from a good source the following were contacted and said no at this time in order

JMU
Delaware
CCU

according to the source Liberty is next in line

Damn, the shine is coming off the App and GSU invites in a real hurry.

clenz
March 31st, 2014, 01:05 PM
I was going to say there was a report on another site I visit that said the Sun Belt has sent feelers out to about 30-40 schools last year....including most of the MVFC (I don't know about the Dakota's but I know ISUb, ISUr, SIU, MSU, and UNI got feelers)

With a net cast that wide you're bound to land your 30-40th option...right?

walliver
March 31st, 2014, 04:40 PM
I was going to say there was a report on another site I visit that said the Sun Belt has sent feelers out to about 30-40 schools last year....including most of the MVFC (I don't know about the Dakota's but I know ISUb, ISUr, SIU, MSU, and UNI got feelers)

30 or 40 seems high. There are probably only a handful of FCS programs who would fit in FBS.
Only 4 schools average over 20,000 a game (and 1 of those has moved on).
Only 12 schools average over 15,000 a game (and 1 of those has moved on).
Only 26 average over 10,000 a game. (and 2 of those have moved on).
source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf
Interestingly, the overwhelming majority of FCS schools outdraw Eastern Michigan's 4051.

In the 20K+ category, NDSU is trapped in a fixed dome for a while, and can't boost attendance (unless they replace the seats with airline seats ;) . I doubt Southern would want to play a Sun Belt schedule. JMU apparently isn't interested. And Montana turned down the WAC, and the Sun Belt is even less interesting.

Moving from an FCS conference to the Sunbelt might increase attendance, but not by the tremendous increase it would require for most FCS schools to be competitive. The only potential additions that make sense for the Sun Belt would be Jax State, JMU (apparently not interested), and Liberty. As for the fan favorites on the Sun Belt board, Missouri State draws 8,700 per game, EKU draws 8600 - both would need to double, if not triple, attendance to be competitive.

If the SBC wants a 12th team this year or next, they basically can choose from Liberty and Jacksonville State, or maybe SFA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 31st, 2014, 04:45 PM
I'd still like to see UMass in the AAC. If not them, than ODU, JMU, Charlotte and Marshall would be good candidates. The fact that some of these schools have higher aspirations than the Sun Belt is reassuring imo.

Virginia Breeze
March 31st, 2014, 09:18 PM

Who is the source?

clenz
March 31st, 2014, 09:30 PM
30 or 40 seems high. There are probably only a handful of FCS programs who would fit in FBS.
Only 4 schools average over 20,000 a game (and 1 of those has moved on).
Only 12 schools average over 15,000 a game (and 1 of those has moved on).
Only 26 average over 10,000 a game. (and 2 of those have moved on).
source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf
Interestingly, the overwhelming majority of FCS schools outdraw Eastern Michigan's 4051.

In the 20K+ category, NDSU is trapped in a fixed dome for a while, and can't boost attendance (unless they replace the seats with airline seats ;) . I doubt Southern would want to play a Sun Belt schedule. JMU apparently isn't interested. And Montana turned down the WAC, and the Sun Belt is even less interesting.

Moving from an FCS conference to the Sunbelt might increase attendance, but not by the tremendous increase it would require for most FCS schools to be competitive. The only potential additions that make sense for the Sun Belt would be Jax State, JMU (apparently not interested), and Liberty. As for the fan favorites on the Sun Belt board, Missouri State draws 8,700 per game, EKU draws 8600 - both would need to double, if not triple, attendance to be competitive.

If the SBC wants a 12th team this year or next, they basically can choose from Liberty and Jacksonville State, or maybe SFA.

I'll see if I can find the post (it was from the summer of 2012 so I may not find it) but it listed all of the schools and was form a guy who is pretty damn connected.

The schools FCS schools I do remember on the list for sure were
App State
GaSo
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Illinois State
Indiana State
Southern Illinois
SFA
McNeese
SHSU
Jax State
Murray State
Wofford
Liberty
JMU
ODU
Western Illinois
SEMO

and a couple others that I'm pretty sure but without seeing the post again I wouldn't say were 100%

That list alone is close to 20, plus they had them out to a number of the CUSA and WAC schools

While they didn't all get invites they were all asked if they would consider accepting if invited. I've heard some reliable rumors on some FCS schools that have been officially invited by turned them down behind the scenes.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 31st, 2014, 10:22 PM
There was an email leaked somewhere around that time from the SB that had many of those teams as "targets" wasn't there? I remember seeing a thread on it here back wehn.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 31st, 2014, 11:28 PM
Western Illinois? Really?

"Pick a directional school - any directional school." xlolx

darell1976
April 1st, 2014, 04:20 AM

The only Dakota schools with stadiums above the FBS requirements are NDSU and SDSU. UND is 1500 short and USD is 5000 short of 15,000.

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 07:47 AM
There was an email leaked somewhere around that time from the SB that had many of those teams as "targets" wasn't there? I remember seeing a thread on it here back wehn.
I don't remember seeing the thread here...then again, as you know I was just getting back from a 4 year hiatus and wasn't really fully vested in the board yet. I saw the list on a another board...but yes it was an official list from the Sun Belt. I also know for a fact, thanks to my connections (yes, I know that makes me sound like a tool and I hate saying it) that there are at least 3, if not 4, MVFC schools that received an offer and said no at roughly that same time or shortly there after...and assuming the information I got is correct one of them would make you scratch your head and go "What....the....****"

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM
I don't remember seeing the thread here...then again, as you know I was just getting back from a 4 year hiatus and wasn't really fully vested in the board yet. I saw the list on a another board...but yes it was an official list from the Sun Belt. I also know for a fact, thanks to my connections (yes, I know that makes me sound like a tool and I hate saying it) that there are at least 3, if not 4, MVFC schools that received an offer and said no at roughly that same time or shortly there after...and assuming the information I got is correct one of them would make you scratch your head and go "What....the....****"

If the list above is correct, most of them make "sense" in the fact that you could make a case for them. But whomever put Western Illinois out there has never been to, or seen the field at, Macomb. xlolx

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 09:10 AM
If the list above is correct, most of them make "sense" in the fact that you could make a case for them. But whomever put Western Illinois out there has never been to, or seen the field at, Macomb. xlolx
It's actually very much improved since 2009 and isn't too far from a nice little stadium...the rest of Macomb is a dump though.

That stadium is actually every bit as nice as Indiana State...if not better

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM
Indiana State...build on grounds that used to be a baseball stadium. Big drop off on the side with no stands. Would probably take a lot of money to build stands over there. Currently holds about 12k on that one side...average about 2k (regardless what their numbers say) per game
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OI/OIZEYPWJXGXUQUT.20120124223112.jpg

Western Illinois:
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/RN/RNVZXRUAMDQXLKL.20111205203705.jpg

STLawson would be better for this...but...when I was there in 2010 and talked with him they were going to replace the scoreboard with a video board, and redo a lot of the seats as well to update/facelift them....also seats over 17k and played host to the STL Rams training camp for almost a decade
It also has a gorgous view looking towards campus (left in the picture) as the field is below campus and the buildings are old style brick.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM
Indiana State...build on grounds that used to be a baseball stadium. Big drop off on the side with no stands. Would probably take a lot of money to build stands over there. Currently holds about 12k on that one side...average about 2k (regardless what their numbers say) per game
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OI/OIZEYPWJXGXUQUT.20120124223112.jpg

Western Illinois:
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/RN/RNVZXRUAMDQXLKL.20111205203705.jpg

STLawson would be better for this...but...when I was there in 2010 and talked with him they were going to replace the scoreboard with a video board, and redo a lot of the seats as well to update/facelift them.
It also has a gorgous view looking towards campus (left in the picture) as the field is below campus and the buildings are old style brick.

Both fine FCS stadiums... just not FBS stadiums. Or fan bases.

Saint3333
April 1st, 2014, 10:06 AM

ESPN disagrees.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2014/4/1/FB_0401143711.aspx

walliver
April 1st, 2014, 11:03 AM
ESPN disagrees.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2014/4/1/FB_0401143711.aspx

I can't wait to see that Georgia State - Abilene Christian barn-burner.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2014, 11:04 AM

Georgia State might even win!

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Both fine FCS stadiums... just not FBS stadiums. Or fan bases.
Fan base is irrelevant. That's been said many times by more than a handful of ADs.

WIU can rather easily bump that thing to 25K in a hurry if they *had* too.

mountaineer in Cane Land
April 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what they are saying on the SBC message board, we seem to be as clueless as anyone on who the next member will be, or even if a member will be added this year. If the commissioner has been in talks with prospective schools, he sure as hell is doing a great job in keeping it secret.

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM

I cannot think of a single good reason why ESPN (or really anyone) would care about that game. I suppose the SunBelt bought a package deal and that's the only game going that week or something.

superman7515
April 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
Typically conferences have agreements that every school gets on tv at least once per season, perhaps they feel they can kill two birds with one stone by just showing them play each other. This is going to come off as me being a tool, but it isn't really meant to be. Strictly my way of looking at it would be why show App State blow out Abilene Christian and Georgia Southern blow out Georgia State (two crappy games) when you could instead televise Abilene Christian and Georgia State struggling against each other (score is closer so it gives the false appearance of a better game) and then televise App State vs Georgia Southern and get a decent show out of it.

walliver
April 1st, 2014, 01:44 PM
Typically conferences have agreements that every school gets on tv at least once per season, perhaps they feel they can kill two birds with one stone by just showing them play each other. This is going to come off as me being a tool, but it isn't really meant to be. Strictly my way of looking at it would be why show App State blow out Abilene Christian and Georgia Southern blow out Georgia State (two crappy games) when you could instead televise Abilene Christian and Georgia State struggling against each other (score is closer so it gives the false appearance of a better game) and then televise App State vs Georgia Southern and get a decent show out of it.

Abilene Christian is an FCS team, not in the belt. I hope ESPN can aim their cameras so that the 50,000 empty seats in the Georgia Dome don't show.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 1st, 2014, 02:04 PM
ACU vs. Georgia State should be a sellout.

APRIL FOOL

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 04:23 PM
They'll report it as a sell out

CID1990
April 1st, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'm telling you guys this entire thread is just one epic troll

epic

SDFS
April 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Fan base is irrelevant. That's been said many times by more than a handful of ADs.

WIU can rather easily bump that thing to 25K in a hurry if they *had* too.

I am surprised by the fan base statement. Could you provide specific information, because I remember a recent interview with a conference commissioner taking about the need for a strong fan base and if you did not have that - it could be overlooked by looking at market potential. An example of this would be GSU or Texas San Antonio. I believe the courtship of Montana and App St are examples of strong fan bases without the market.

Sandlapper Spike
April 1st, 2014, 07:14 PM

I think you're talking about correspondence AppNation.com got as part of an FOI request. I can't find the AppNation link (seems to be offline now), but the schools mentioned were App, Georgia Southern, and:

Delaware
Idaho
Illinois State
Jacksonville State
James Madison
Lamar
Liberty
Missouri State
New Mexico State
Richmond
Sam Houston State
Towson
UT Chattanooga

Idaho and NM State eventually joined as football-only members, of course.

Also, Indiana State's AD later confirmed his school had been approached by the Sun Belt.

clenz
April 1st, 2014, 08:26 PM
I am surprised by the fan base statement. Could you provide specific information, because I remember a recent interview with a conference commissioner taking about the need for a strong fan base and if you did not have that - it could be overlooked by looking at market potential. An example of this would be GSU or Texas San Antonio. I believe the courtship of Montana and App St are examples of strong fan bases without the market.

Many ads, UNI ad Dannen included, have stated many times in the pecking order of things to be worried about four an fbs move attendance is about 5 spots below what brand of athletic tape the trainers use

superman7515
April 1st, 2014, 11:06 PM
Abilene Christian is an FCS team, not in the belt. I hope ESPN can aim their cameras so that the 50,000 empty seats in the Georgia Dome don't show.

Damn it, I always confuse them with USA because they were both shuffling around at the same times. I know it makes no sense, but it keeps happening anyway.

citdog
April 1st, 2014, 11:09 PM
I hope ESPN can aim their cameras so that the 50,000 empty seats in the Georgia Dome don't show.

I don't

citdog
April 1st, 2014, 11:11 PM
Damn it, I always confuse them with USA because they were both shuffling around at the same times. I know it makes no sense, but it keeps happening anyway.

I do the same thing.

Catatonic
April 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
ACU vs. Georgia State should be a sellout.

APRIL FOOL

The nation's worst FBS team vs the Newest FCS team.

Sure-fire Ratings Bonanza! Tickets on Stub Hub will rival the BCS championship game. Whoot.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2014, 07:44 AM
The nation's worst FBS team vs the Newest FCS team.

Sure-fire Ratings Bonanza! Tickets on Stub Hub will rival the BCS championship game. Whoot.

Perhaps a better question is what the heck is Ga State doing playing Abilene Christian. If they needed an FCS homegame, I could have suggested a few teams (like the 15 within a short drive of Atlanta), each of which would bring more fans than ACU. Of course, GSU would also be a significant underdog in each of those games.

Catatonic
April 2nd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Perhaps a better question is what the heck is Ga State doing playing Abilene Christian. If they needed an FCS homegame, I could have suggested a few teams (like the 15 within a short drive of Atlanta), each of which would bring more fans than ACU. Of course, GSU would also be a significant underdog in each of those games.

I know why we agreed to play GSU--$300,000 to play a not-so-good FBS team in a great venue rather than take a little more money to get our teeth kicked out by playing a more established FBS team. National TV exposure is an unexpected perk.
A no-brainer for us.

I wondered the same thing about GSU's motivation though. If Georgia State needed a game they thought they had a chance to win, Mercer is a FCS start up located just down the road.

walliver
April 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
I know why we agreed to play GSU--$300,000 to play a not-so-good FBS team in a great venue rather than take a little more money to get our teeth kicked out by playing a more established FBS team. National TV exposure is an unexpected perk.
A no-brainer for us.

I wondered the same thing about GSU's motivation though. If Georgia State needed a game they thought they had a chance to win, Mercer is a FCS start up located just down the road.

Mercer's program is being restarted by people with a plan, and that doesn't include playing Georgia State. In 2014, they play a SoCon schedule with most of their OOC made up of PFL and sub-D-I teams. Mercer is also not a "counter" for FBS bowl games in 2014 - not that bowl games are in GaSt's immediate future. Playing GaSt and losing in their first scholarship season would probably set the program back for years. They risk getting beat badly by a bad team. If they lose all their SoCon games, they can argue it is their first scholarship year. They should win all of the OOC games. Mercer will play Georgia Tech in 2015.

For ACU it is a winnable game, with some publicity in the Atlanta market for a game which most likely will not compete against a UGA or GT game.. In fact, the local publicity may be much more beneficial than the nation exposure of a game which will be overshadowed by whatever is on ESPN and ESPN2. The venue may be great, but the game atmosphere won't.

Georgia State's problem is that they are probably the 7th or 8th most popular team in Atlanta, behind UGA, GT, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee and possibly a few others (a large number of college graduate in the Southeast migrate to Atlanta seeking fame and fortune - at least until their parents stop subsidizing them).

Catatonic
April 2nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mercer's program is being restarted by people with a plan, and that doesn't include playing Georgia State. In 2014, they play a SoCon schedule with most of their OOC made up of PFL and sub-D-I teams. Mercer is also not a "counter" for FBS bowl games in 2014 - not that bowl games are in GaSt's immediate future. Playing GaSt and losing in their first scholarship season would probably set the program back for years. They risk getting beat badly by a bad team. If they lose all their SoCon games, they can argue it is their first scholarship year. They should win all of the OOC games. Mercer will play Georgia Tech in 2015.

For ACU it is a winnable game, with some publicity in the Atlanta market for a game which most likely will not compete against a UGA or GT game.. In fact, the local publicity may be much more beneficial than the nation exposure of a game which will be overshadowed by whatever is on ESPN and ESPN2. The venue may be great, but the game atmosphere won't.

Georgia State's problem is that they are probably the 7th or 8th most popular team in Atlanta, behind UGA, GT, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson, Tennessee and possibly a few others (a large number of college graduate in the Southeast migrate to Atlanta seeking fame and fortune - at least until their parents stop subsidizing them).

You are very right about exposure in the local market. ACU has a pretty decent size alumni base in the Atlanta area and Greater Atlanta Christian has been a reliable source of students for us over the years. Additionally, there is some indication we will use the game to broaden our football recruiting base beyond Texas. Several players from Georgia and South Carolina are showing up on our "target" list for next year.

I would love for us to win the game but we are still transitioning from D2 to D1. We will start way too many freshmen and redshirt freshmen for me to feel comfortable enough to call this a winnable game, although given Georgia State's poor track record I think we have a fighting chance despite our scholarship and experience deficit.

hebmskebm
April 2nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
If Liberty gets the invite, who does the Big South add to stabilize the league? If it happens then just four all-sport members of the conference will be playing football in the conference. In 2015 the league could look like:

1. Coastal
2. Monmouth
3. Gardner-Webb
4. CSU
5. Presby
6. Kennesaw
7. Jacksonville? (there were articles about them building a new stadium and possibly adding scholarships)
8. Campbell? (already in the league for all other sports, in a league who's football situation is so precarious, I imagine there's some pressure on them to step up)
9. Any DII's in the area examining a move up?

Sandlapper Spike
April 2nd, 2014, 09:31 AM

I'm not sure Georgia State would be in the top 25 of most popular college football teams in Atlanta, to be honest.

clenz
April 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
What a disaster of a conference that is.

I'd imagine CCU would be sucking someone's dick to get out of that.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
A no-brainer for us.

GSU is paying ACU $300,000.00 and TV? Go for it.

I like the Georgia Dome. Have had some good times there. Not sure its a "great venue." I mean, they are tearing it down in the next year or so.

FormerPokeCenter
April 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM

Exactly....

I'm not so sure that Ga. State could legitimately be considered a favorite over Abilene Christian...

cmaxwellgsu
April 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM

Your last sentence is your answer. You're looking at a team desperate for a win at least to end a losing streak. They'll take any W at this point, even if it is an FCS newbie.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
If Liberty gets the invite, who does the Big South add to stabilize the league? If it happens then just four all-sport members of the conference will be playing football in the conference. In 2015 the league could look like:

1. Coastal
2. Monmouth
3. Gardner-Webb
4. CSU
5. Presby
6. Kennesaw
7. Jacksonville? (there were articles about them building a new stadium and possibly adding scholarships)
8. Campbell? (already in the league for all other sports, in a league who's football situation is so precarious, I imagine there's some pressure on them to step up)

I think option 1,2, 3 and possibly 4 for the Big South would be to seamlessly nudge Campbell to start competition as a scholarship football team.

Jacksonville's status is mighty interesting. They're in the A-Sun for basketball, a league with a lot of NCAA shares in basketball but is starting to look a lot more like a public school conference than a private school conference, especially with Mercer leaving. I am wondering if, down the line, Jacksonville, Stetson (another PFL team) and Lipscomb might eventually leave the conference, with the Big South as a potential landing spot. The SoCon is another.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Your last sentence is your answer. You're looking at a team desperate for a win at least to end a losing streak. They'll take any W at this point, even if it is an FCS newbie.

As befitting everything about Georgia State's adventure in college football, their choice of ACU, a new FCS team but one that has historically given FCS teams fits and has produced NFL players, is completely misguided, perhaps equating "new" with "easy". They'd have been much better off scheduling Austin Peay.

Sandlapper Spike
April 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
I think option 1,2, 3 and possibly 4 for the Big South would be to seamlessly nudge Campbell to start competition as a scholarship football team.

I am wondering if, down the line, Jacksonville, Stetson (another PFL team) and Lipscomb might eventually leave the conference, with the Big South as a potential landing spot. The SoCon is another.

They would need to have scholarship football (and Lipscomb doesn't have a football program at all).

walliver
April 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM

1. Coastal
2. Monmouth
3. Gardner-Webb
4. CSU
5. Presby
6. Kennesaw

North Greenville is rumored to be looking to move to D-I. Winthrop is in the early stages of exploring a football program.

The biggest problem for the Big South would be timing. Kennesaw doesn't start football until 2015 and probably won't start conference play until 2016. Winthrop, if football goes through is probably 4-5 years away. North Greenville has not stated a transition. I don't think Campbell or Jacksonville have the financial resources of Mercer, and both will be in the PFL for a good while.

If Liberty leaves, the Big South may not be eligible for an automatic bid in 2015, and possibly not 2014. Although with the expanded playoffs, CCU should get an at-large each year. When Kennesaw starts in 2016, things should stabilize for a while, but I suspect Monmouth will leave as soon as feasible, and I have a feeling Kennesaw has FBS ambitions (to keep up with Georgia State). The Big South's best bet is for Jacksonville and Stetson to become jealous of Mercer's success and step up their programs, but that is going to take a while.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2014, 09:58 AM
North Greenville is rumored to be looking to move to D-I. Winthrop is in the early stages of exploring a football program.

The biggest problem for the Big South would be timing. Kennesaw doesn't start football until 2015 and probably won't start conference play until 2016. Winthrop, if football goes through is probably 4-5 years away. North Greenville has not stated a transition. I don't think Campbell or Jacksonville have the financial resources of Mercer, and both will be in the PFL for a good while.

If Liberty leaves, the Big South may not be eligible for an automatic bid in 2015, and possibly not 2014. Although with the expanded playoffs, CCU should get an at-large each year. When Kennesaw starts in 2016, things should stabilize for a while, but I suspect Monmouth will leave as soon as feasible, and I have a feeling Kennesaw has FBS ambitions (to keep up with Georgia State). The Big South's best bet is for Jacksonville and Stetson to become jealous of Mercer's success and step up their programs, but that is going to take a while.

Interesting things about North Greenville are that they fit the profile of both the SoCon and Big South (large, private) and they are competing as a D-II independent right now in football. They also have 16 teams, plenty for D-I membership.

Catatonic
April 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
As befitting everything about Georgia State's adventure in college football, their choice of ACU, a new FCS team but one that has historically given FCS teams fits and has produced NFL players, is completely misguided, perhaps equating "new" with "easy". They'd have been much better off scheduling Austin Peay.

We like being "misunderestmated."

walliver
April 2nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Interesting things about North Greenville are that they fit the profile of both the SoCon and Big South (large, private) and they are competing as a D-II independent right now in football. They also have 16 teams, plenty for D-I membership.

North Greenville doesn't really fit the SoCon. Institutionally, NGU has more in common with Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb in the Big South, both of which have close ties to the Southern Baptist Convention. NGU has little in common with Mercer, Furman, Samford and Wofford . Geographically, it offers nothing to the SoCon other than being a short bus trip for many schools. NGU would be a good geographic fit for the Big South, they already have a rivalry of sorts with CSU, and quite frankly, the Big South is at a stage where they basically have to take any willing suitors to keep their automatic bid.

Libertine
April 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Until NGU gets a new president, they won't be in any conference at any level. The SAC has rejected them twice now because NGU's prez refuses to learn the meaning of the word "negotiate".

hebmskebm
April 2nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Until NGU gets a new president, they won't be in any conference at any level. The SAC has rejected them twice now because NGU's prez refuses to learn the meaning of the word "negotiate".

They are in DII's Conference Carolinas right now, per Wikipedia. It doesn't sponsor football, though.

ThompsonThe
April 2nd, 2014, 02:02 PM
UMass has been keeping the phones ringing at the Sun Belt HQ in New Orleans evidently wanting to join.
Sun Belt should just go ahead and add them for football and make New Mexico State a full member since they are so
good in basketball and quit adding schools unless they need any.

citdog
April 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM
UMass has been keeping the phones ringing at the Sun Belt HQ in New Orleans evidently wanting to join.
Sun Belt should just go ahead and add them for football and make New Mexico State a full member since they are so
good in basketball and quit adding schools unless they need any.

YAWN! WHO CARES?

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RvKvSYkmju2eaWYnKVXVwplexI6UMUMOEMKlMcIjNtlyCRpKm9 RA1znkavtUFO9-Viy58ILSccwFTys2dhANnELFpIPTUvcuzuoYeoDP30XbQ4d-GQ6vr6N8CrJH=s0-d-e1-ft#http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

your program got passed by The Citadel.

ThompsonThe
April 4th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Sure, citadel baloneydogs have had what 3 wins against app st in last 20 years.
You are still our biatch.

FUBeAR
April 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM

Mercer is scheduled to play GT in 2016, not 2015
Hearing unconfirmed rumors that UGa will be on the 2017 schedule for the Bears

citdog
April 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Sure, citadel baloneydogs have had what 3 wins against app st in last 20 years.
You are still our biatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ

I think one of you hillbillies had a song called "The Streak"......

OL FU
April 4th, 2014, 07:47 AM
North Greenville doesn't really fit the SoCon. Institutionally, NGU has more in common with Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb in the Big South, both of which have close ties to the Southern Baptist Convention. NGU has little in common with Mercer, Furman, Samford and Wofford . Geographically, it offers nothing to the SoCon other than being a short bus trip for many schools. NGU would be a good geographic fit for the Big South, they already have a rivalry of sorts with CSU, and quite frankly, the Big South is at a stage where they basically have to take any willing suitors to keep their automatic bid.

Besides, Furman isn't going to make the mistake of inviting a close neighbor younger brother type to the conference againxblehx

citdog
April 4th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Besides, Furman isn't going to make the mistake of inviting a close neighbor younger brother type to the conference againxblehx

But y'all will share rattlesnakes and rat poison?

OL FU
April 4th, 2014, 08:09 AM
But y'all will share rattlesnakes and rat poison?

Naw, the ankle biters might eat themxsmugx:)

walliver
April 4th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Naw, the ankle biters might eat themxsmugx:)

Rattlesnake doesn't go well with Chardonnay, we'll take a pass on that.

OL FU
April 4th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Rattlesnake doesn't go well with Chardonnay, we'll take a pass on that.

Yes but you should try it with a Rieslingxnodx

Redbirdz
April 4th, 2014, 11:22 PM
It will probably be Jacksonville State to the SBC as it best fits the footprint.

Catatonic
April 5th, 2014, 07:29 AM
It will probably be Jacksonville State to the SBC as it best fits the footprint.

The Sunbelt's footprint is Sasquatch sized, Idaho to the Atlantic Ocean. xlolx

Laker
April 5th, 2014, 09:16 AM
The Sunbelt's footprint is Sasquatch sized, Idaho to the Atlantic Ocean. xlolx

How long will Idaho hold out instead of joining the Big Sky in all sports? Or are they just too stubborn?

darell1976
April 5th, 2014, 09:48 AM
How long will Idaho hold out instead of joining the Big Sky in all sports? Or are they just too stubborn?

Idaho will rejoin the BSC when the BSC moves up to the FBS after the Super 5 split. So maybe after the next decade or until their AD files for chapter 13, because no way can their football team make any money in the FBS as a member of the Sun Belt.

PaladinFan
April 6th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Idaho to the big sky just seems to make too much sense, which is probably why they won't do it. Better for the University, better for the fans.

No school wants to be the first one to drop down. I imagine once one does it, you might see a bunch do it.

Yotes
April 6th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Idaho will rejoin the BSC when the BSC moves up to the FBS after the Super 5 split. So maybe after the next decade or until their AD files for chapter 13, because no way can their football team make any money in the FBS as a member of the Sun Belt.
So you're saying they are never rejoining the Big Sky for football.

knucklehead
April 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM
https://twitter.com/dkurtenbach/status/453346919150940160

I’m told that Liberty is heading to the FunBelt.

citdog
April 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM
https://twitter.com/dkurtenbach/status/453346919150940160

EXCELLENT! The religious fanatics will fit it well.

http://getbarmax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/falwell-hustler-first-time.jpg

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 8th, 2014, 08:48 AM
If Liberty is added then the Sun Belt board should be very entertaining. Have a bag of popcorn ready and stay tuned.

darell1976
April 8th, 2014, 08:57 AM
So you're saying they are never rejoining the Big Sky for football.

Not during the current FBS format.

clenz
April 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/uploads/FileUpload/4d/1d8a75a091441a6f3f5b02e3dc6c16.gif

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
The amount of hate and discontent over on sunbeltbbs is mildly entertaining.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Libertine
April 8th, 2014, 09:27 AM
http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/uploads/FileUpload/4d/1d8a75a091441a6f3f5b02e3dc6c16.gif

That's funny right there. The issue I have with this is: why does Jesus have such tiny hands?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM
That's funny right there. The issue I have with this is: why does Jesus have such tiny hands?

Maybe Joseph and Mary were related.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I hope it's just a rumor. It would really speak to the state of affairs if the Belt had to settle for Liberty. Sure they have money and a TV network, but they have exactly 0 athletic accomplishments in any category. And that's not even touching the PR issues of them being the Westboro Baptist Church of the NCAA.

Can't we just stay at 11? The SBC is a very strong football league and adding LU will only hurt us in that regard.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I hope it's just a rumor. It would really speak to the state of affairs if the Belt had to settle for Liberty. Sure they have money and a TV network, but they have exactly 0 athletic accomplishments in any category. And that's not even touching the PR issues of them being the Westboro Baptist Church of the NCAA.

Can't we just stay at 11? The SBC is a very strong football league and adding LU will only hurt us in that regard.

The fact that Liberty was the only taker disproves your statement.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 09:58 AM
The fact that Liberty was the only taker disproves your statement.

What statement? That it's a good football league?

Ask CUSA team or any SBC bowl opponent who their daddy is.

Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more to conference realignment than performance on the grid iron.

walliver
April 8th, 2014, 10:00 AM
.... Sure they have money and a TV network, but they have exactly 0 athletic accomplishments in any category. ...

At first I thought you were talking about the SBC ... but the SBC doesn't have money.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I keep forgetting that adult conversation about the FBS is impossible on AGS.

That's fine. Liberty or not Liberty, App State is 1,000x better off in the Belt than in the shriveled beacon of obscurity known as the FCS. Double middle fingers as we walk to the Varsity side of the tracks.

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM

You posted this exact same thing over on sunbeltbbs.

The fact JMU wants MAC or bust and the Sunbelt wants anyone that's willing and ready is going to kill you guys. Oh it'll be awesome seeing App State and LU as peer institutions.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 10:20 AM
You posted this exact same thing over on sunbeltbbs.

The fact JMU wants MAC or bust and the Sunbelt wants anyone that's willing and ready is going to kill you guys. Oh it'll be awesome seeing App State and LU as peer institutions.

JMU's administration being piss shy and short-sighted doesn't determine how well SBC teams are doing in football, buddy.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM
What statement? That it's a good football league?

Ask CUSA team or any SBC bowl opponent who their daddy is.

Unfortunately, there's a whole lot more to conference realignment than performance on the grid iron.

Let us be clear. App wanted to be FBS. They took the opportunity. The Sun Belt is not a healthy conference. Healthy conferences don't hemorrhage members and go looking under rocks for every possible revenue stream.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I keep forgetting that adult conversation about the FBS is impossible on AGS.

That's fine. Liberty or not Liberty, App State is 1,000x better off in the Belt than in the shriveled beacon of obscurity known as the FCS. Double middle fingers as we walk to the Varsity side of the tracks.

So, accepting your premise, you're the loser who still wears his letter jacket to high school parties after graduation?

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM
JMU's administration being piss shy and short-sighted doesn't determine how well SBC teams are doing in football, buddy.

The fact you will probably choose a twelfth member that will be worse than JMU in all sports bodes well for your conference. If I was in your situation I'd want to stay at 11 teams just like you said vs taking anyone instead of JMU.

Edit: Just like you said.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Let us be clear. App wanted to be FBS. They took the opportunity. The Sun Belt is not a healthy conference. Healthy conferences don't hemorrhage members and go looking under rocks for every possible revenue stream.

Fair enough, but we're absolutely better off. Have you seen our 2015 schedule?

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM
So, accepting your premise, you're the loser who still wears his letter jacket to high school parties after graduation?

Huh?

We're the kid that went to college while the kids that stayed in the home town and chose not to try to make themselves feel better about the decision by making fun and trying to convince the kid that college is a bad idea.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 8th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Huh?

We're the kid that went to college while the kids that stayed in the home town and chose not to try to make themselves feel better about the decision by making fun and trying to convince the kid that college is a bad idea.

Yet you continue to hang out here?

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Yet you continue to hang out here?

Enjoys rubbing in their eliteness in our faces.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Have you seen our 2015 schedule?

Stop the presses. Home games with Howard and Southern Miss and a full Sun Belt slate.

This is soooooo different. Except the fact that you are playing two road games instead of getting three home close-sellouts or sellouts.

Saturday
Sept. 5
http://cdn.fbschedules.com/images/helmets-ncaa/h-m/howard1.gif
Howard Bison
Kidd Brewer Stadium, Boone, NC
TBA
---

Saturday
Sept. 12
http://cdn.fbschedules.com/images/helmets-ncaa/a-g/clemson1.gif (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/acc/2015-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php)
at Clemson Tigers (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/acc/2015-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php)
Memorial Stadium, Clemson, SC
TBA
---

Saturday
Sept. 19
http://cdn.fbschedules.com/images/helmets-ncaa/n-s/southern_mississippi1.gif (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-southern-miss-golden-eagles-football-schedule.php)
Southern Miss Golden Eagles (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-southern-miss-golden-eagles-football-schedule.php)
Kidd Brewer Stadium, Boone, NC
TBA
---

Saturday
Sept. 26
http://cdn.fbschedules.com/images/helmets-ncaa/n-s/old-dominion1.gif (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-old-dominion-monarchs-football-schedule.php)
at Old Dominion Monarchs (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/conf-usa/2015-old-dominion-monarchs-football-schedule.php)
Foreman Field, Norfolk, VA

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
The SBC is not a desirable place for an athletic program imo.

Football wise, it will not pass the AAC and MWC. I still think the MAC is a couple of steps ahead. The MAC has developed a quality, quirky niche over the last 10-15 years. I don't see the SBC obtaining that even if the on the field product is superior.

Basketball is also rather poor. The WCC, A10 and MVC carry considerably more weight in hoops. WKU leaving for CUSA really hurt imo.

The SBC has no identity. It's a bunch of schools with big dreams and little appeal. It will be very difficult for one of these schools to earn an invite to the AAC or MWC. Southern Miss, Marshall, UTEP, Charlotte, etc. will get that call first.

UMass was wise to say no...

clenz
April 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Well...

2000 years ago the average height of a male was roughly 5'3-5'5, depending which research you read.

Have you met many males between 5'2 and 5'5? They have very small hands and feet.

I've worked with a guy in the past that was 5'3 and now work with one that is 5'1. The 5'3 guy wears the smallest side adult shoe. The 5'1 guy wears...haven't asked...what looks like youth shoes.

clenz
April 8th, 2014, 11:03 AM

Football wise, it will not pass the AAC and MWC. I still think the MAC is a couple of steps ahead. The MAC has developed a quality, quirky niche over the last 10-15 years. I don't see the SBC obtaining that even if the on the field product is superior.

Basketball is also rather poor. The WCC, A10 and MVC carry considerably more weight in hoops. WKU leaving for CUSA really hurt imo.

The SBC has no identity. It's a bunch of schools with big dreams and little appeal. It will be very difficult for one of these schools to earn an invite to the AAC or MWC. Southern Miss, Marshall, UTEP, Charlotte, etc. will get that call first.

UMass was wise to say no...It's not all that often I agree with this guy...but not rare...but this is spot on.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Apphole better like trips to Lynchburg.

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM

UMass was wise to say no...

You honestly couldn't have said this better.

But they are FBS so they are superior to us! We don't matter! We don't matter!

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM
The funny thing about Appholes's comments here is that a couple years back when App was rumoring themselves to be going CUSA some of the Appers (think he was one of them) were saying the same things about the SBC that some of y'all are. They wouldn't go there from what I remember as their administration at the time said it wasn't doable.

Watching the justifications of "I'm a big boy now" is just so adorable. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 8th, 2014, 01:05 PM
The funny thing about Appholes's comments here is that a couple years back when App was rumoring themselves to be going CUSA some of the Appers (think he was one of them) were saying the same things about the SBC that some of y'all are. They wouldn't go there from what I remember as their administration at the time said it wasn't doable.

All this and the added schadenfreude of having Liberty as the probable 12th member.

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Fair enough, but we're absolutely better off. Have you seen our 2015 schedule?

I give. What's so great about the 2015 schedule?

PaladinFan
April 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM

App fans are notoriously fickle. They wanted Jerry Moore fired before he (wait for it) won three consecutive national titles. They hated the idea of the SunBelt before that was the only conference that would accept them. Now they sing its praises.

Again, all of this is just academic. App wanted to be in the FBS. It really makes little difference whether it is a smart move or not. That's where they wanted to be and so it will be considered a successful move regardless. Idaho's move has been little more than an abject failure going on years now, and I imagine you still won't find anyone that will actually admit that.

OL FU
April 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I do know at least a couple of ASU fans that aren't real happy about the move, but they remain mostly silent (which is probably appropriate considering)

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM
App fans are notoriously fickle. They wanted Jerry Moore fired before he (wait for it) won three consecutive national titles. They hated the idea of the SunBelt before that was the only conference that would accept them. Now they sing its praises.

Again, all of this is just academic. App wanted to be in the FBS. It really makes little difference whether it is a smart move or not. That's where they wanted to be and so it will be considered a successful move regardless. Idaho's move has been little more than an abject failure going on years now, and I imagine you still won't find anyone that will actually admit that.

Most App fans ain't like that who I know but the ones in the style of Apphole I'd have to agree with. I remember the fire Jerry threads. A good friend who wanted FBS for App called me right after the move and said he thought this was absolutely the wrong move and that it in fact was sort of embarrassing...this was well before the Liberty rumors and I know this doesn't make it better in his view.

As far as Idaho, yes I'm sure most of them have a feeling of superiority even though they take a regular beating and have to make sure and not get on the field with a remotely good FCS team or they have another loss hung on them.

I kind of like it that there are people that buy into their own self created smoke and mirrors. It gives me something to chuckle at.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 8th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Apphole and I are both happy with the direction of our schools, I'm just not mad at him for it.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I do know at least a couple of ASU fans that aren't real happy about the move, but they remain mostly silent (which is probably appropriate considering)

Funny thing is even though we know a lot of the same App guys I'm pretty sure we are not talking about the same dudes here. It is going to be interesting to watch and see if the attendance numbers do what so many were professing it would do over the next few years.

OL FU
April 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Funny thing is even though we know a lot of the same App guys I'm pretty sure we are not talking about the same dudes here. It is going to be interesting to watch and see if the attendance numbers do what so many were professing it would do over the next few years.

Although butts like Apphole do tend irritate, I think schools have to do what they think is in their best interest. I honestly don't know if the Sunbelt is or isn't. I also don't particularly care. I do know that I hate that they are leaving. On the other hand, I am also pretty sure in the future if someone asks me what their 2016 record is I will sayxchinscratchx

walliver
April 8th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Liberty would actually be a good addition for the SunBelt.

They have better fan support than most of the other contenders. Imagine the attendance if they had a good team.

A lot of the LGBT posters on the Sun Belt board are upset, but I suspect the AD's couldn't care less, and App's accountants are quite pleased about the short bus trip.

If Liberty does leave, however, it would be devastating for the Big South. They would probably lose their auto bids for 2014 and 2015 (only 5 eligible teams), although the NCAA might let them slide in in 2014.

hebmskebm
April 8th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Liberty would actually be a good addition for the SunBelt.

They have better fan support than most of the other contenders. Imagine the attendance if they had a good team.

A lot of the LGBT posters on the Sun Belt board are upset, but I suspect the AD's couldn't care less, and App's accountants are quite pleased about the short bus trip.

If Liberty does leave, however, it would be devastating for the Big South. They would probably lose their auto bids for 2014 and 2015 (only 5 eligible teams), although the NCAA might let them slide in in 2014.

I once spitballed an idea of a future merged Big South and NEC to stabilize both leagues. Tongue-in-cheek called it "The poor man's CAA".

Libertine
April 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Probably not devastating and the autobid would likely be safe for 2014 and definitely would be safe going forward.

The Big South would likely find someone to add should they need another member but, for sports besides football, they don't need to add anyone. In my mind, who they would add or if they would add at all would be an indicator of how seriously the conference takes itself as a football conference.

As for the football autobid, bear in mind that there would a transition period. NCAA rules stipulate that your conference must have the same six football programs for two years to keep an autobid and Liberty -- assuming the Big South doesn't kick us out early -- would still technically be a Big South member through the 2014-2015 year. This means that the autobid is safe for 2014 -- unless, of course, the Big South declares Liberty ineligible for the title and then Liberty wins it outright. In that case, the autobid is lost for 2014 since NCAA rules also stipulate that the conference cannot be officially represented by an ineligible team and being the next team in the standings means nothing. In 2015, Liberty would leave and Kennesaw State will come in, keeping the football membership at six. NCAA rules further stipulate that any conference falling below the six-member mark will be extended a two-year grace period to get back up to six. In this case, Kennesaw would be coming in at exactly the right time and the autobid would stay in place.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 06:46 PM

I don't post much any more but I read the board all the time and it's nothing but ignorant slamming of the Sun Belt Conference. Forgive me for not being as cordial as I was at Murphy's.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 8th, 2014, 08:04 PM
I don't post much any more but I read the board all the time and it's nothing but ignorant slamming of the Sun Belt Conference. Forgive me for not being as cordial as I was at Murphy's.

It's always been a slamming of the SBC because of it's stature so let's not act like that is something new to you. Your outlook has changed toward the conference, no one else's has.

We spoke briefly of the SBC in Murphy's and you weren't glowing about it either from what I remember. Apps needed to move, fair enough, but most just won't be takn aback by your new home as some showpiece or award winner. If you like it, fair by me. If you try to try to tell me it's something special I'll have a chuckle about it.xthumbsupx

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 09:04 PM
It's always been a slamming of the SBC because of it's stature so let's not act like that is something new to you. Your outlook has changed toward the conference, no one else's has.

We spoke briefly of the SBC in Murphy's and you weren't glowing about it either from what I remember. Apps needed to move, fair enough, but most just won't be takn aback by your new home as some showpiece or award winner. If you like it, fair by me. If you try to try to tell me it's something special I'll have a chuckle about it.xthumbsupx

Dude. The venom increased exponentially the moment App and Southern announced the move.

And things aren't the same as they were in '10, 11' etc during the hight of App to CUSA speculation. (Not conceding I was one of those SBC haters -- I was always an FBS at all cost guy) When some App fans were piling on the Belt, it was before the new TV deal, at the very beginning of the Belt's upward trend on the grid iron in relation to the other GO5 conferences, before we knew Southern was coming along, before CUSA lost most of their good schools and replaced them with media market startups and so on.

No one is saying the Sun Belt is the new SEC. But App is in a much better spot, IMO.

IBleedYellow
April 8th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Dude. The venom increased exponentially the moment App and Southern announced the move.

And things aren't the same as they were in '10, 11' etc during the hight of App to CUSA speculation. (Not conceding I was one of those SBC haters -- I was always an FBS at all cost guy) When some App fans were piling on the Belt, it was before the new TV deal, at the very beginning of the Belt's upward trend on the grid iron in relation to the other GO5 conferences, before we knew Southern was coming along, before CUSA lost most of their good schools and replaced them with media market startups and so on.

No one is saying the Sun Belt is the new SEC. But App is in a much better spot, IMO.

You need to stop getting your panties in a bundle when other disagree with your opinion. Especially when we've never changed our opinion and it seems a lot of your fan base used to agree with us.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 09:14 PM
You need to stop getting your panties in a bundle when other disagree with your opinion. Especially when we've never changed our opinion and it seems a lot of your fan base used to agree with us.

There's a fine line between disagreement and diarrhea flow all over the damn place.

My panties are just fine. I'm just trying to give it right back to some of y'all. Yes, the diarrhea.

Yotes
April 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't call the Sun Belt a "better place". No good conference would ever let Idaho's and New Mexico State's atrocious football programs grace their presence. Literally no one else at the FBS level would even look at Idaho or NMSU, which poses some legitimate questions about the stability and quality of the Sun Belt. I'm not sure you're aware of how far away Idaho is, how bad a of a fit they are, or just how ****ty they are, but at least you will be able to be in the mighty conference that thinks they're an asset.

Also, Liberty? Seriously? There is nothing FBS-worthy about Liberty.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 8th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Yotes,

New Mexico State has a very solid hoops program. If their football team was merely "competitive" they'd be in the MWC imo.

Apphole
April 8th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Hey you're preaching to the choir about Idaho and Liberty. Idaho is in because Benson is a political bastard. NMSU eas a solid add. That being said, none of those things preclude the Sun Belt from being the strong, up-and-coming conference that it is, nor does it change the fact that App is better off in the Belt.

Glad we can essentially play hot potato with Liberty.

clenz
April 8th, 2014, 10:17 PM
NMSU is/was on the MVC radar for a basketball move

chattanoogamocs
April 8th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Someone needs to do another FOIA...it would be enlightening to see who Karl Benson has been calling on a regular basis.

CID1990
April 8th, 2014, 11:28 PM

BOO HOO

says the guy who has been 100% negative about FCS and the SoCon from the get go

two things:

1) you are full of ****

2) nobody cares about ASU here any more than they do Marshall

Yotes
April 9th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Okay, NMSU is a good basketball school. No disputing that. However, the only sport they bring to the Sun Belt is football. They've won a single bowl game the last 50 years, which was in-state. In the last 9 years they've beat one FBS team that finished the season with a winning record. One. Damn. Game. And NMSU is probably better than Idaho, and the Sun Belt is very happy to have both of them.

Pathetic.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM
BOO HOO

two things:

1) you are full of ****

Therein lies the problem. Spend months on here slamming the SoCon and then acts shocked when folks on an FCS forum are tired of hearing about it.

I am as excited for the 2014 SoCon season as I have been at any point in years. I won't miss either GSU or App State. I enjoyed the rivalries, but I'll much prefer having 9 teams that want to be there than 7 teams excited to be there and two perpetual malcontents.

It's perhaps good App State made the move this year, they were starting to get beat around pretty good in the SoCon.

citdog
April 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM
BOO HOO

two things:

1) you are full of ****

So nice NOT to have to travel to the two largest conglomerations of white trash and penis envy in the entire South every two years!

Saint3333
April 9th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Quite a bit of discussion of two programs you guys don't care about any longer.

2015 home schedule: Southern Miss, Howard, Ark. St., ULL, GSU, Troy

If we had remained in the SoCon: Howard, G-Webb, Mercer, UTC, VMI, WCU

App made the right choice for OUR program, we know you guys disagree.

Don't worry citdog App will sign you guys up for a game in our house if you miss us that badly.

Apphole
April 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
So nice NOT to have to travel to the two largest conglomerations of white trash and penis envy in the entire South every two years!

White trash really stings coming from South Carolina. That State is third world.

citdog
April 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Don't worry citdog App will sign you guys up for a game in our house if you miss us that badly.

I'm SAD to see the automatic W on our football schedule go away.

- - - Updated - - -

White trash really stings coming from South Carolina. That State is third world.

The best thing we EVER did was allow y'all to have your own State. It was good for the gene pool.

OL FU
April 9th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Not Really - 10 pages in a NDSU Fan said something slightly less than flattering, you jumped in and defended your alma mater. Apphole walked through the door and immediately pissed everyone off and then it was off to the races just like usualxlolx

CID1990
April 9th, 2014, 10:14 AM

You two sad sisters spilled a LOT of ink in this forum talking about all the "haters" and now look at you... petty and fickle.

True colors showing through, as expected.

BTW the way things have been going for ASU you might want to wait 3-4 years before signing up The Citadel. Get a few years of "FBS" recruiting under your belts first.

citdog
April 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
You two sad sisters spilled a LOT of ink in this forum talking about all the "haters" and now look at you... petty and fickle.

True colors showing through, as expected.

BTW the way things have been going for ASU you might want to wait 3-4 years before signing up The Citadel. Get a few years of "FBS" recruiting under your belts first.

Happier going to Lexington and Macon and playing. When you drop 42 in the first half on them they'll stay and watch because they are real fans.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2014, 10:23 AM
In all seriousness, what would a SoCon team rather do, schedule a 1-and-done with Clemson for $900,000, or a 1-and-done with App for $200,000 for an easy win?

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2014, 10:24 AM

You're missing the point. There is no disagreement.

No one on this forum knows what is good for App's program. I imagine not even Charlie Cobb knows what the future holds for the Mountaineers. I guarantee that every program that moves to the FBS thinks "this is the best move for our program." Plenty of them end up destroying their university's athletic program with the same line of thinking.

Folks on here are calling a spade a spade. The SunBelt is what it is. It's a mishmash conference that hemorrhages membership and grabs new members as fast as possible to replace revenue. If the SunBelt were a corporation, it would be considerably unhealthy. App knows that. GSU knows that. You even know that. That's the risk you take getting to where you think you want to be.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM
In all seriousness, what would a SoCon team rather do, schedule a 1-and-done with Clemson for $900,000, or a 1-and-done with App for $200,000 for an easy win?

They'll take the money from Clemson every time.

Most fans would love nothing more than to whip ASU's rear and take their money, though. Frankly, if App comes calling on the SoCon for home games, things will have gotten really bad in Boone.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 9th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Not Really - 10 pages in a NDSU Fan said something slightly less than flattering, you jumped in and defended your alma mater. Apphole walked through the door and immediately pissed everyone off and then it was off to the races just like usualxlolx

I still give 0 ****s about ASU and GSU leaving. It weakens the SoCon but not FCS on the whole. Their success is in the past and they are simply 2 playoff teams out of 20 that will no longer be there.

Loved the semi's against GSU but no big deal.

CrazyCat
April 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM
The watering down of FBS continues.

FargoBison
April 9th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I still give 0 ****s about ASU and GSU leaving. It weakens the SoCon but not FCS on the whole. Their success is in the past and they are simply 2 playoff teams out of 20 that will no longer be there.

Loved the semi's against GSU but no big deal.

I completely disagree, it is a blow to the FCS.

The size of the blow can't be measured until we see how some of these new programs develop. But losing programs with that much history, tradition and support is definitely going to leave a mark.

OL FU
April 9th, 2014, 10:40 AM

The size of the blow can't be measured until we see how some of these new programs develop. But losing programs with that much history, tradition and support is definitely going to leave a mark.

I agree with you except history tells us the subdivision recovers (quickly). The real issue for FCS is whether there is some major shift in the football landscape in the near future that changes the entire thing.

citdog
April 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM

Leave a mark.......like a skidmark?

No offense to Dakota People but the SoCon has survived, and thrived, after losing BETTER schools than appy st teachers college and pigs ass, ga. See the ACC and the SEC history.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 9th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I agree with you except history tells us the subdivision recovers (quickly). The real issue for FCS is whether there is some major shift in the football landscape in the near future that changes the entire thing.

That's more what I mean. I also agree that something is going to happen in the not to distant future that will balance everything out better.

Apphole
April 9th, 2014, 12:37 PM

Easy win, eh? xlolx

Apphole
April 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM
They'll take the money from Clemson every time.

Most fans would love nothing more than to whip ASU's rear and take their money, though. Frankly, if App comes calling on the SoCon for home games, things will have gotten really bad in Boone.

Quite the opposite, actually. If App has the means to pay an FCS school from one of the better FCS leagues like the SoCon to come play us, we're likely doing something right.

Libertine
April 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Quite the opposite, actually. If App has the means to pay an FCS school from one of the better FCS leagues like the SoCon to come play us, we're likely doing something right.
Dear Lord, I hate agreeing with Apphole but this is an extremely valid point.

OL FU
April 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Dear Lord, I hate agreeing with Apphole but this is an extremely valid point.

I know. It hurts doesn't but I think it is a valid point. Besides, I may be wrong but I don't think Clemson pays $900,000 to play an FCS school.

Saint3333
April 9th, 2014, 01:53 PM

No one on this forum knows what is good for App's program. I imagine not even Charlie Cobb knows what the future holds for the Mountaineers. I guarantee that every program that moves to the FBS thinks "this is the best move for our program." Plenty of them end up destroying their university's athletic program with the same line of thinking.

Folks on here are calling a spade a spade. The SunBelt is what it is. It's a mishmash conference that hemorrhages membership and grabs new members as fast as possible to replace revenue. If the SunBelt were a corporation, it would be considerably unhealthy. App knows that. GSU knows that. You even know that. That's the risk you take getting to where you think you want to be.

I have acknowledged it is a risk, staying in the SoCon was a risk as half a dozen programs in the SoCon's footprint joined the FBS ranks.

You never get better without taking a risk.

Let us not forget that over time the SoCon was been a conference that has hemorrhaged members as well.

AshevilleApp2
April 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Pretty awesome. App can still take over a thread! :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM

Not a single team that has made the jump to FBS has moved back down, and Idaho and NMSU would rather join a conference as a geographic outlier than move back to the Big Sky. Schools that go FBS tend to do all they can to stay FBS even if they aren't football schools like New Mexico State. App State and Georgia Southern are better as FCS programs than the vast majority of schools who have made the jump to FBS (Marshall is the only comparable school IMO). Surely there is some wisdom in these schools trying to stay FBS, right?

What DI conference hasn't hemorrhaged members at some point during this round of conference shuffles? Most of the conferences that aren't at the top of the food chain. Most of the programs that the CUSA took from the Sun Belt are "market" teams, anyways. The Sun Belt was the top non-AQ league in football this past year. I'm not overly worried about the direction of the conference even if it does add some football bottom-feeders like NMSU.

And what about the SoCon? They're hemorrhaging teams and picking up powerhouses like VMI and East Tennessee State. Does that mean the the SoCon is an unhealthy conference and that Mercer doesn't need to join?

Yotes
April 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Not a single team that has made the jump to FBS has moved back down, and Idaho and NMSU would rather join a conference as a geographic outlier than move back to the Big Sky. Schools that go FBS tend to do all they can to stay FBS even if they aren't football schools like New Mexico State. App State and Georgia Southern are better as FCS programs than the vast majority of schools who have made the jump to FBS (Marshall is the only comparable school IMO). Surely there is some wisdom in these schools trying to stay FBS, right?

What DI conference hasn't hemorrhaged members at some point during this round of conference shuffles? Most of the conferences that aren't at the top of the food chain. Most of the programs that the CUSA took from the Sun Belt are "market" teams, anyways. The Sun Belt was the top non-AQ league in football this past year. I'm not overly worried about the direction of the conference even if it does add some football bottom-feeders like NMSU.

And what about the SoCon? They're hemorrhaging teams and picking up powerhouses like VMI and East Tennessee State. Does that mean the the SoCon is an unhealthy conference and that Mercer doesn't need to join?
The Sun Belt was the top non-AQ in football last year? What? Is there any reasoning that brought you to that conclusion?

FWIW, Sagarin has the Missouri Valley even with the Sun Belt. Sounds like one hell of a conference.

clenz
April 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Are we talking football only for realignment?

The MVC had only had 1 membership change since 96ish

Lehigh Football Nation
April 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
What DI conference hasn't hemorrhaged members at some point during this round of conference shuffles?

The Patriot League: gained 2 members, lost 0. They're the big winners in realignment. I think. LOL

centennial
April 9th, 2014, 04:56 PM
The Sun Belt was the top non-AQ in football last year? What? Is there any reasoning that brought you to that conclusion?

FWIW, Sagarin has the Missouri Valley even with the Sun Belt. Sounds like one hell of a conference.
Don't dazzle them with facts.

15 SUN BELT (A) = 59.92 58.96 ( 16) 8 59.50 ( 15)
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.31 59.52 ( 15) 10 59.01 ( 16)
17 MAC-WEST (A) = 58.22 57.23 ( 17) 6 58.41 ( 17)
18 COLONIAL (AA)= 57.35 56.34 ( 18) 11 57.39 ( 18)
19 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 57.13 56.28 ( 19) 7 57.37 ( 19)
20 MAC-EAST (A) = 56.11 55.70 ( 20) 7 56.30 ( 20)

9 SUN BELT (A) = 62.95 62.95 ( 9) 10 62.95 ( 9)
10 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 62.60 62.37 ( 11) 13 62.44 ( 11)
11 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 62.18 62.64 ( 10) 12 62.52 ( 10)
12 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.53 60.79 ( 13) 10 60.94 ( 13)
13 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 60.97 61.82 ( 12) 10 61.64 ( 12)

11 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 63.53 63.31 ( 11) 13 63.51 ( 11)
12 SUN BELT (A) = 58.85 58.30 ( 13) 9 58.44 ( 13)
13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 58.43 58.80 ( 12) 9 58.61 ( 12)
14 GREAT WEST (AA)= 57.83 57.65 ( 14) 5 57.66 ( 14)

hebmskebm
April 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM
https://twitter.com/BrentThibodeaux/status/454026453185609728

"Sources have told me the #SunBelt 12th school hopefuls are in this order. First #JMU followed by #MissouriState & #Liberty in a distant 3rd."

NoDak 4 Ever
April 9th, 2014, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/BrentThibodeaux/status/454026453185609728

"Sources have told me the #SunBelt 12th school hopefuls are in this order. First #JMU followed by #MissouriState & #Liberty in a distant 3rd."

I hope not MoSt, they're the closest MVFC to me. That said, somebody tell me one thing about them that even whispers FBS?

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2014, 06:15 PM

You are just speculating. There's no support for GSU and App for being the "best FCS schools" to make the jump. Many of the schools moved on 20 years ago.

No team has moved down. Quite right. Would you want to be the first school to waive the white flag and admit defeat? Neither do they. Besides, even if they are content, would you (as a fan) get excited about your team was like Idaho, winning an average of 3 games a season over the last 14 seasons? That's unbelievable futility.

The SoCon will be just fine. The Sunbelt will be fine. Everyone on here is just commenting that "putting lipstick" on the SunBelt pig still makes it a pig.