View Full Version : Sunbelt interested in adding Liberty

Pages : 1 [2]

clenz
April 9th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I hope not MoSt, they're the closest MVFC to me. That said, somebody tell me one thing about them that even whispers FBS?

MSU wants it...bad...like ASU bad.

They've apparently had a standing offer from the SBC for quite some time if they upgraded their football facility....Guess what they are doing?

This opens a public football spot in the MVC...possibly.

Maybe I was wrong, NDSU...maybe you get a call....but likely not. I'd bet we make a very strong push at Belmont or NMSU

NoDak 4 Ever
April 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM

They've apparently had a standing offer from the SBC for quite some time if they upgraded their football facility....Guess what they are doing?

Maybe I was wrong, NDSU...maybe you get a call....but likely not. I'd bet we make a very strong push at Belmont or NMSU

shoots your whole "footprint" idea all to hell.

clenz
April 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
shoots your whole "footprint" idea all to hell.

NMSU, Belmont, and Denver are all universities that the MVC has said they would make an exception for.

NMSU has a great basketball program and was a former member of the MVC.
Belmont is a private with a good basketball tradition
Denver...I still don't know what the appeal of them was. They were ruled out when they said they wouldn't add any sports the MVC offers (the only offer M/W BB and VB)

Yotes
April 9th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I hope not MoSt, they're the closest MVFC to me. That said, somebody tell me one thing about them that even whispers FBS?
I guess they do have the largest enrollment in the MVFC. They also just posted a winning record in conference play for the first time in 20 years.

Saint3333
April 9th, 2014, 08:52 PM
The Sun Belt was the top non-AQ in football last year? What? Is there any reasoning that brought you to that conclusion?

FWIW, Sagarin has the Missouri Valley even with the Sun Belt. Sounds like one hell of a conference.

Part of the BCS payout each year is a tiered payout to the non AQ conferences. The top dollar amount goes to the G5 conference with the highest OOC winning percentage. For 2013 the Sun Belt received the most money from that payout. We can debate what the best conference is and I would agree the SB isn't the best, but there is no debate of which conference finished highest in the tiered payout.

that will likely change as App and GSU transition.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 03:24 AM

I feel like Mo State would prefer to stay in the better basketball league. Especially since WSU probably can't go anywhere, which keeps the MVC a very nice, competitive league that still has good travel.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OL FU
April 10th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I don't think it is comparable but I believe Florida A&M moved to IA and back to IAA. I think

PaladinFan
April 10th, 2014, 07:10 AM
No offense to Missouri State fans, but what's the appeal to the SunBelt? They roughly draw what Furman does in football with a stadium just as large. Furman is about 1/10th MSU's size.

Cocky
April 10th, 2014, 07:21 AM
No offense to Missouri State fans, but what's the appeal to the SunBelt? They roughly draw what Furman does in football with a stadium just as large. Furman is about 1/10th MSU's size.
The SB is looking for a school with excess cash willing to pay an extra high amount to enter a conference. SB is trying to sell the "last" FBS opportunity ever. The high bidder wins not the best institution.

ccd494
April 10th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Denver...I still don't know what the appeal of them was. They were ruled out when they said they wouldn't add any sports the MVC offers (the only offer M/W BB and VB)

Well, they would immediately become the best academic institution in the league by a large measure. And the most successful athletic program in the league by a large measure. Denver's 29 NCAA D-I titles are 12th most all time. The 11 ahead are all the who's who of D-I sports.

But you are right. DU's athletic program is built around hockey (7 NCAA titles), skiing (22 NCAA titles), and now lacrosse. All three sports have sport-specific conferences. I don't see them adding sports/cutting funding to any of those three/bending over backwards for the sake of an all sports league.

superman7515
April 10th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I don't think it is comparable but I believe Florida A&M moved to IA and back to IAA. I think

Shhh! No one likes to mention that.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM
I feel like Mo State would prefer to stay in the better basketball league. Especially since WSU probably can't go anywhere, which keeps the MVC a very nice, competitive league that still has good travel.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
MSU fans that I've talked too (Which I realize doesn't represent the administration and all of the fans) are, shockingly, willing to give up the MVC for FBS football.

MSU could be a key in the destruction of the MVC as we know it. WSU fans are pissed that Loyola was added because of location. Most of their fans realize Loyola has very good potential but it put a HUGE shift to the east. WSU fans are like NDSU (not all, I realize) fans with Patty V. They feel the conference hates them and will do everything to spite them. Losing the only "west" remaining school would likely drive WSU away.

MSU and WSU leaving will put a HUGE push towards UNI, ISUr, Drake, and Bradley to find a new home I think. That's a large part of the reason for looking at ORU as hard we the conference did last time around...and NMSU. Belmont was the one east school that WSU "liked".

But back on MSU....I don't get them. They are clearly a basketball school but want so badly to be a football school they are willing to do it at the expense of, what could be, a killer basketball program.

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Saint you mentioned VMI and Mercer..........you really shouldn't speak about your betters. VMI beat one of the better teams you EVER had. Mercer is a better academic school than either of you and well Mercer beat Duke........

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 11:03 AM
For some reason I can't quote you clenz, but what would you think happens if MSU goes the Sun Belt route to the MVC?

Moto X

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2014, 11:04 AM
MSU fans that I've talked too (Which I realize doesn't represent the administration and all of the fans) are, shockingly, willing to give up the MVC for FBS football.

MSU could be a key in the destruction of the MVC as we know it. WSU fans are pissed that Loyola was added because of location. Most of their fans realize Loyola has very good potential but it put a HUGE shift to the east. WSU fans are like NDSU (not all, I realize) fans with Patty V. They feel the conference hates them and will do everything to spite them. Losing the only "west" remaining school would likely drive WSU away.

MSU and WSU leaving will put a HUGE push towards UNI, ISUr, Drake, and Bradley to find a new home I think. That's a large part of the reason for looking at ORU as hard we the conference did last time around...and NMSU. Belmont was the one east school that WSU "liked".

But back on MSU....I don't get them. They are clearly a basketball school but want so badly to be a football school they are willing to do it at the expense of, what could be, a killer basketball program.

Just a test.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Now I can quote you... Wtf

Also, NDSU fans don't hate Patty V. We just would prefer her to be the commissioner of ONE conference, and push for better TV deals for said conference.

Moto X

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
For some reason I can't quote you clenz, but what would you think happens if MSU goes the Sun Belt route to the MVC?

Moto X
I see 2 or 3 likely scenarios...that would probably take 4 years...ish, or more, to play out.

1. MSU is replaced with Belmont/NMSU with a very very very strong push made towards Dayton/SLU (to the point of offering no/very and life goes on hoping WSU doesn't bolt....but WSU is looking hard at a MWC invite some how but it takes a while for anything to happen...if anything. No football really does hurt WSU.

The next is a little more "doomsday" like.

2. WSU find a way into either the A10/MWC. At this point UNI, Illinois State, Drake, and Bradley are finding a new home as well beacuse...well...let's be honest. The MVC without WSU and Creighton isn't as good as it was...plus whoever replaces them will not be a unanimous vote and will leave a split in the conference. I know the MAC is looking east but at some point, if NIU keeps their football going, the AAC/CUSA is going to scoop them. UNI, ISUr could make a dual entrance for all sports (would help their basketball). Bradley and Drake push HARD for A10 to become a super conference to beat the BE down even further.....basically we end up blowing apart like the Big East did and the football MVC schools either up end FBS, Summit, or OVC..and I wouldn't be shocked to see a number of them pick the OVC IF they had too.

I've said all along that the Dakota's will not get into the MVC unless there is a huge shift in the conference and the MVC is no longer the MVC as we know it. You can deny I've said that BUT it is what I've said.

What likely happens is a mix of the two...IF MSU leaves. WSU will push for somewhere else and a push will be made at Dayton, SLU, NMSU, and Belmont. I know the MVC loves even numbers (said that many many times). However, the MVC has been less than proactive and may finally realize "It's too late to keep some teams, but let's get what we can". IF the MVC can land and even multiple (2 or 4) of those schools (also wouldn't be shocked to see ORU's name thrown out there) I'd think they'd have to do it. I know they are east but Dayton and/or SLU would keep WSU happy because it's proven quality programs.

I'm also hearing now that MSU would only do it for football, not all sports. So they may end up being passed over.

I know NDSU/SDSU fans want to catch me on this and say "GOTCHA", and so be it. I've been extremely consistent with my stance over the years. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I just don't see any football schools coming in (sans NMSU) unless there is a dramatic shift in the conference. That is the common theme you'll see from almost every school in the conference.

There are small pockets that would be okay with the Dakota's if certain things were done/happened. However, those pockets are like the number of Cardinal fans that cheer for the Cubs when they aren't playing....few and far between

NoDak 4 Ever
April 10th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Still don't care about the MVC. Would be nice to get organized in an all sports conference but it's not a top priority.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I personally thought you'd replace MSU with ORU, even though the private/public ratio would be ruined.

So no, I'm not trying to say gotcha.

Moto X

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Still don't care about the MVC. Would be nice to get organized in an all sports conference but it's not a top priority.

I agree, and it's probably going to take a huge shakeup of the MVC, SB, Horizon, A-10, and summit.
I personally want NDSU in an all sports conference. One conference total would be great.

Moto X

walliver
April 10th, 2014, 12:32 PM

I think Florida A&M started the transition but didn't finish. They had a national TV contract (on a cable channel that may have never gotten off the ground). Apparently the effort was very poorly organized and fell apart half-way through.

ccd494
April 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Why the heck would Dayton want to join the MVC?

FargoBison
April 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah the MVC isn't getting Dayton and SLU. I'd be more worried about losing a school to the A10 if I were the MVC.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Why the heck would Dayton want to join the MVC?
It's a tougher sell now that Creighton is gone...which is why I've said the likely hood is very small but there is zero harm in putting the full court press on.

There is a strong sense that Xavier will do everything they can to stop Dayton from getting in the Big East. At some point the Big East will raid the A10 and it sounds as though VCU, SLU (really only because of Creighton at this point), and Richmond (for some reason) are the teams that the BE is looking at.

It's not going to hurt anything.

Which is why I see Belmont and NMSU as much more likely.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 02:22 PM
It's a tougher sell now that Creighton is gone...which is why I've said the likely hood is very small but there is zero harm in putting the full court press on.

There is a strong sense that Xavier will do everything they can to stop Dayton from getting in the Big East. At some point the Big East will raid the A10 and it sounds as though VCU, SLU (really only because of Creighton at this point), and Richmond (for some reason) are the teams that the BE is looking at.

It's not going to hurt anything.

Which is why I see Belmont and NMSU as much more likely.

NMSU is still far out of the MVC footprint aswell. I guess you guys really want the media market route. Seems to be paying off for you, too.

FargoBison
April 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Would the Big East really add a public school? Maybe that is why Richmond is being considered if Dayton is really being blocked.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Would the Big East really add a public school? Maybe that is why Richmond is being considered if Dayton is really being blocked.
That's the question that 2 schools are really wondering about - VCU and WSU.

My guess is no...and Creighton may make sure WSU doesn't...a lot of bad blood.

If I had to guess it will be that the BE goes to 12 here in less than two years with SLU and probably Richmond. Then a year or two after that they get to 14 with some combo of St. Joes, GWU/GMU and if publics are open VCU and a very outside shot for WSU.

At that point the A10 can try to raid the MVC but who do they have to show more strength than the MVC at that point. They'd have Duquense, Dayton, Fordham, GWU or GMU, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bona, and maybe VCU. The only draw they'd have would be Dayton and maybe VCU..assuming VCU doesn't get plucked by the BE.

At that point the edge between the two swings to the MVC.

FargoBison
April 10th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if the A10 makes a play for Belmont sometime soon. They are already adding Davidson.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if the A10 makes a play for Belmont sometime soon. They are already adding Davidson.
Which is exactly where the MVC ****ed up a couple years ago.

The MVC was not proactive because none of the schools were a threat to go anywhere before Creighton left....and now we are still not being proactive. I get why only 1 was added for this year but there is zero reason to not have Belmont, NMSU, ORU (who I'm iffy on but whatever) sweet talked like there is no tomorrow...because one or two moves and there is no tomorrow for the MVC as it sits (or any conference really) but the MVC has the most to lose of any MM conference at this point.

Yote 53
April 10th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hate to say it Clenz, but I think by the time the music stops the MVFC/MVC schools will be coming to the MVFC/Summit schools and asking us for a home or about turning the MVFC into an all sports conference or for some sort of solution to this mess.

I know you are thinking MAC & FBS for UNI but the more realistic probability is that the MVFC adds UND to replace MSU and morphs into an all sports conference. Frankly, it would be one heck of an all-sports conference. The remaining non-football Summit/MVC could morph together to form another conference. It is the most logical solution for long term stability of all involved to have like minded schools in the same conference. Football playing state schools in one and private/metro basketball schools in the other. If the MVC keeps getting chopped down you could make the case the Summit becomes more attractive than the MVC.

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU
Indiana St
Illinois St
SIU
YSU (though I could see YSU going east and replaced with an OVC school like EIU)

That would be one heck of a conference.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Hate to say it Clenz, but I think by the time the music stops the MVFC/MVC schools will be coming to the MVFC/Summit schools and asking us for a home or about turning the MVFC into an all sports conference or for some sort of solution to this mess.

I know you are thinking MAC & FBS for UNI but the more realistic probability is that the MVFC adds UND to replace MSU and morphs into an all sports conference. Frankly, it would be one heck of an all-sports conference. The remaining non-football Summit/MVC could morph together to form another conference. It is the most logical solution for long term stability of all involved to have like minded schools in the same conference. Football playing state schools in one and private/metro basketball schools in the other. If the MVC keeps getting chopped down you could make the case the Summit becomes more attractive than the MVC.

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU
Indiana St
Illinois St
SIU
YSU (though I could see YSU going east and replaced with an OVC school like EIU)

That certainly is an option...

Though to get ISU, ISU, UNI, and SIU to leave the MVC it is going to have to implode to the point that it basically ceases to exist after over 100 years as a conference...remember the MVC "controls" the MVFC even though they are separate entities.

You seem much more convinced that's a good conference than any MVC school fan is...The MVC, and it's members, are attempting to save a national brand of a conference...not give up and fade into a conference of basically complete obscurity....no offense to the XDSU's who have proven they can be more than that.

FargoBison
April 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Which is exactly where the MVC ****ed up a couple years ago.

The MVC was not proactive because none of the schools were a threat to go anywhere before Creighton left....and now we are still not being proactive. I get why only 1 was added for this year but there is zero reason to not have Belmont, NMSU, ORU (who I'm iffy on but whatever) sweet talked like there is no tomorrow...because one or two moves and there is no tomorrow for the MVC as it sits (or any conference really) but the MVC has the most to lose of any MM conference at this point.

I thought Belmont would have been a slam dunk when Creighton left. The last MVC expansion still puzzles me, adding Loyola and visiting UMKC. If I was an MVC fan I would be worried that UMKC might replace MSU.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I thought Belmont would have been a slam dunk when Creighton left. The last MVC expansion still puzzles me, adding Loyola and visiting UMKC. If I was an MVC fan I would be worried that UMKC might replace MSU.
We are...

No one is quite sure what the ****ing higher ups are doing. I "get" Loyola...but it's going to take a couple years to get there. However, for it to not have been Belmont or ORU still completely boggles the **** out of me.

I want the MVC to get to 12 and it be ****ing Belmont/ORU/NMSU.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Also, FWIW, the reason NMSU is a option much of the MVC (other than probably Indiana State and maybe Illinois State) likes is they spent 15 seasons in the MVC, are a west option to keep WSU happier..ish.. and are a damn good program the last decade but are dragged down by the WAC.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked to see UW-M. They are a public but no football and are willing to show dedication to up their program.

FargoBison
April 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU
Indiana St
Illinois St
SIU

I don't think you have to create a pure football conference if everything fell apart for the MVC, the conference still has better media deals and more NCAA tournament credits. The MVC will survive, it would destroy the Summit if it had to.

NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, WIU, SIU, ISUB and ISUR is a good core. YSU can remain as affiliate. Would be 9 teams and as an FCS conference that is all you really need.

Drake, Omaha, ORU and Denver could still fit into that mix for a 12 team all-sports league. Would be on par with the Horizon at least.

Yote 53
April 10th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I don't think you have to create a pure football conference if everything fell apart for the MVC, the conference still has better media deals and more NCAA tournament credits. The MVC will survive, it would destroy the Summit if it had to.

NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, WIU, SIU, ISUB and ISUR is a good core. YSU can remain as affiliate. Would be 9 teams and as an FCS conference that is all you really need.

Drake, Omaha, ORU and Denver could still fit into that mix for a 12 team all-sports league. Would be on par with the Horizon at least.

Media deals can be reworked. The NCAA tournament credits is what will keep the MVC together. The whole point in the post was how a like minded conference could be constructed and stability achieved that could last 50 years or more.

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Media deals can be reworked. The NCAA tournament credits is what will keep the MVC together. The whole point in the post was how a like minded conference could be constructed and stability achieved that could last 50 years or more.

If that conference could somehow keep the name as the Valley I think it would be a great conference.

Do I ever think it would happen? Nope.

1) Lots of the MVC schools don't want to FB schools in their conference.
2) UND doesn't want to leave their Big Sky conference, no matter what people say.
3) There aren't enough "like minded" schools in that conference. It's a 50/50 split of those that want FB to excel or BB to excel. NDSU and UNI may be the outliers that would be able/want to push both, even though UNI is more a basketball school and NDSU is more a football school.

For the Dakota schools, a conference that is grounded around the 4 schools, or honestly the 3 Southern schools will be a good conference for stability.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Listen, I don't disagree NDSU could become a very valuable member of the MVC...the problem with NDSU is it's location and it's football ties. NMSU is an exception to that rule due to previous ties with the MVC and averaging something like 23-24 wins a season for the last decade with at least 1 (maybe more, I didn't look) All American.

If NDSU was in Brookings or somewhere in Missouri/Eastern Kansas/Illinois/western KY/etc... with their university exactly the same they'd likely get a look in the next couple years. I've said that before as well. However, geography is a big hurdle to overcome when it's North Dakota

OL FU
April 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
What is going on with the MVC talk. This is an App State Threadxpissedx

Yote 53
April 10th, 2014, 04:21 PM
If that conference could somehow keep the name as the Valley I think it would be a great conference.

Do I ever think it would happen? Nope.

1) Lots of the MVC schools don't want to FB schools in their conference.
2) UND doesn't want to leave their Big Sky conference, no matter what people say.
3) There aren't enough "like minded" schools in that conference. It's a 50/50 split of those that want FB to excel or BB to excel. NDSU and UNI may be the outliers that would be able/want to push both, even though UNI is more a basketball school and NDSU is more a football school.

For the Dakota schools, a conference that is grounded around the 4 schools, or honestly the 3 Southern schools will be a good conference for stability.

I think I would add USD and SDSU that want and push for results in both football and basketball. New arena and DakotaDome upgrades for USD and a new CAS in Brookings shows that the SoDak schools are putting their money where their mouth is.

As for UND. Well, if they want the Big Sky I guess they can have the Big Sky. But if they would pass on the conference I proposed(dreamed), well then they are just plain stupid. If they were offered a Summit/MVFC bid tomorrow they would accept it. The political and other pressure would be so great on that athletic dept they would not be able to resist it.

As for your 1st point, well, yeah, that was kind of my warning to Clenz that the MVC non-football schools are only looking out for themselves at the expense of the football schools. The FB schools are outnumbered now and it's only going to get worse.

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I think I would add USD and SDSU that want and push for results in both football and basketball. New arena and DakotaDome upgrades for USD and a new CAS in Brookings shows that the SoDak schools are putting their money where their mouth is.

As for UND. Well, if they want the Big Sky I guess they can have the Big Sky. But if they would pass on the conference I proposed(dreamed), well then they are just plain stupid. If they were offered a Summit/MVFC bid tomorrow they would accept it. The political and other pressure would be so great on that athletic dept they would not be able to resist it.

As for your 1st point, well, yeah, that was kind of my warning to Clenz that the MVC non-football schools are only looking out for themselves at the expense of the football schools. The FB schools are outnumbered now and it's only going to get worse.
The FB schools in the MVC realize the delicate balance the MVC has...we watched the BE implode...

Which is why the FB schools care about maintaining the balance...even shifting it to the non FB schools. It's always been that in the MVC.

AshevilleApp2
April 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM

I was chuckling a bit myself at how quickly that came and went.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 10th, 2014, 04:29 PM
xlolx

You WCU fans always laughing at the AppStaters!

IBleedYellow
April 10th, 2014, 04:41 PM
This is all speculation until anything happens.

But I really want it to happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 10th, 2014, 04:44 PM
This is all speculation until anything happens.

But I really want it to happen.

yep.

http://img.pandawhale.com/42048-Dis-gon-b-gud-gif-ngmE.gifhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rc8k_D3yYoE/Tw4IyOKMysI/AAAAAAAAAls/awgasVzJMfA/s320/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Lehigh Football Nation
April 10th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Missing in all of this discussion is Nebraska-Omaha, which I thought was in play last I checked for the MWC. Which does not have football at the moment, but had it in the past.

Bisonwinagn
April 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Missing in all of this discussion is Nebraska-Omaha, which I thought was in play last I checked for the MWC. Which does not have football at the moment, but had it in the past.

Huh?

Sandlapper Spike
April 10th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Maybe he means the MVC...

clenz
April 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Maybe he means the MVC...

That's about as true as the MWC ....

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Apphole
April 10th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Gotta keep from crying somehow...

bjtheflamesfan
April 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Word over on the Liberty board is that JMU is holding out for the MAC. Looks like the Sun Belt either holds out for another year or they finally bite the bullet and invites Liberty

BisonFan02
April 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Word over on the Liberty board is that JMU is holding out for the MAC. Looks like the Sun Belt either holds out for another year or they finally bite the bullet and invites Liberty

or Missouri State....

citdog
April 10th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Gotta keep from crying somehow...

You're going to be doing a great deal of crying.......and I'll be GRINNING!

bjtheflamesfan
April 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Also true...that said itll be an interesting couple weeks. ASU is going to need a travel partner and if what Im hearing is correct, Liberty is the next most sensible option

Lehigh Football Nation
April 10th, 2014, 10:40 PM
JMU wants C-USA. ODU wants JMU in C-USA, because they are desperate for a travel partner. Problem is the rest of C-USA doesn't want Johnny-come-lately ODU calling the shots in their conference.

JMU might settle for the MAC but not without some sort of travel partner. Maybe Youngstown? No Youngstown (or equivalent), no MAC .

JMU has rebuffed the Sun Belt before, and there's absolutely no reason for them to rush into joining anywhere because they have very good options on the table that are much better. Unfortunately for the Sun Belt, "this is your last chance!" is Karl Benson's only real sales pitch.

Yotes
April 10th, 2014, 10:47 PM
UND should just go to the Sun Belt. They think they're going FBS anyways, the door is apparently open. Who wouldn't want to put all this money in to sit in the purgatory that is the Sun Belt?

centennial
April 11th, 2014, 01:01 AM
UND should just go to the Sun Belt. They think they're going FBS anyways, the door is apparently open. Who wouldn't want to put all this money in to sit in the purgatory that is the Sun Belt?
Agreed. UND to Sun Belt.

Apphole
April 11th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I

False

OL FU
April 11th, 2014, 06:49 AM

AshevilleApp2 is a Michigan fanxrotatehx

citdog
April 11th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I

False

the necks at appy and at pigs ass will fit in nicely with Falwell's Fanatics.

jmufan999
April 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM
JMU wants C-USA. ODU wants JMU in C-USA, because they are desperate for a travel partner. Problem is the rest of C-USA doesn't want Johnny-come-lately ODU calling the shots in their conference.

if this is really something that concerns other C-USA teams, that's pretty childish. if JMU is the best option, it shouldn't matter who is pushing for that to happen. key word being "shouldn't". i could see it happening, though.

Unfortunately for the Sun Belt, "this is your last chance!" is Karl Benson's only real sales pitch.

feels like they've tried that, when we heard last week (i think) that the Sun Belt was moving on from JMU. who knows who started that report, but it would make sense for the SBC to try that tactic. JMU may have called their bluff although we'll probably never know for sure. JMU seems to want SBC as a fall-back option only, and are willing to miss out if SBC goes another direction.

citdog
April 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM
if this is really something that concerns other C-USA teams, that's pretty childish. if JMU is the best option, it shouldn't matter who is pushing for that to happen. key word being "shouldn't". i could see it happening, though.

feels like they've tried that, when we heard last week (i think) that the Sun Belt was moving on from JMU. who knows who started that report, but it would make sense for the SBC to try that tactic. JMU may have called their bluff although we'll probably never know for sure. JMU seems to want SBC as a fall-back option only, and are willing to miss out if SBC goes another direction.

Childish you say to not let someone who is fresh to the game call the shots? I forget sometimes how new at this College Football thing you and appy and pigs ass are. We'll be glad to be rid of you ALL.

Saint3333
April 11th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Football since 1928 with a 65% winning percentage, yeah newbies.

As for JMU, their BOT is voting today on whether to go FBS or remain FCS today. That may not necessarily mean a vote on the Sun Belt however.

If JMU isn't interested I believe we'll see the Sun Belt wait another year until Mo. St. is ready. Then add them next year this time and they'll be full members 2016 and NMSU will be brought in for all sports.

Liberty as of today doesn't have the votes, that can change once JMU votes, and at that point we'll see just how important they believe having 12 members is.

Ideal situation is we add JMU this year, Mo. St. the next, and bring in NMSU all sports. Oh and boot Idaho in 2016 in accordance with the agreement they signed upon entry.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 11th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Football since 1928 with a 65% winning percentage, yeah newbies.

As for JMU, their BOT is voting today on whether to go FBS or remain FCS today. That may not necessarily mean a vote on the Sun Belt however.

If JMU isn't interested I believe we'll see the Sun Belt wait another year until Mo. St. is ready. Then add them next year this time and they'll be full members 2016 and NMSU will be brought in for all sports.

Liberty as of today doesn't have the votes, that can change once JMU votes, and at that point we'll see just how important they believe having 12 members is.

Ideal situation is we add JMU this year, Mo. St. the next, and bring in NMSU all sports. Oh and boot Idaho in 2016 in accordance with the agreement they signed upon entry.

In the spirit of Saint3333 I'm going to go find a DII board and tell them how awesome NDSU is and how they are all such losers.

Adding MoSt is ideal? Maybe so you can find a team you can consistently beat in conference.

Apphole
April 11th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I'd bet the folks on a D-2 board don't spend nearly the amount of time talking about FCS teams and conferences that you all do talking about us big timers. xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
April 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
In the spirit of Saint3333 I'm going to go find a DII board and tell them how awesome NDSU is and how they are all such losers.

Adding MoSt is ideal? Maybe so you can find a team you can consistently beat in conference.

My post indicated you're a loser? That is a stretch and your skin is thin. I'm discussing the topic at hand.

Mo. St. helps basketball and the western Sun Belt teams have been trying to get in a conference with them for years. Their football isn't ideal you are correct. However they are improving their stadium and would be only the second FBS program in that state.

citdog
April 11th, 2014, 09:44 AM
have y'all been run off the bletch bbs? just more examples of how little your schmeckles really are. that's why you're gonna fit in so well in the bletch EVERYONE in it has little schmeckle syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R-02fNL_Us

- - - Updated - - -

My post indicated you're a loser? That is a stretch and your skin is thin. I'm discussing the topic at hand.

Mo. St. helps basketball and the western Sun Belt teams have been trying to get in a conference with them for years. Their football isn't ideal you are correct. However they are improving their stadium and would be only the second FBS program in that state.

WHO ****ING CARES SAINT?

jmufan999
April 11th, 2014, 09:46 AM

there is no evidence to support the notion that FCS vs. FBS will be decided today. just message board rumors.

it's a pre-planned meeting. they have them all the time.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Mo. St. helps basketball and the western Sun Belt teams have been trying to get in a conference with them for years.

Based on one good run to the Sweet 16 in 1999? They've escaped the first round of the NCAA Tournament exactly twice.

clenz
April 11th, 2014, 10:00 AM

What about MSU is ideal is a good question.

1 playoff appearance since the 1990 (1990), below .500 all time, 20 games below .500 since 2006, the best 5 year runs in MSU history (According to CFBDW) are 38-42, 62-66, 39-43, 61-65, 89-93, 13-17, 37-41, 47-51, 10-44, 44,48...best 10 year spans were 39-48, 38-47, 40-49, 22-31, 14-23, 84-83, 57-66, 21-30, 23-32....The 25 year period they just finished last season ranks 22nd all time in their best 25 year span...They've been over .500 just 8 times since their last playoff appearance (7 of those 8 were 6-5 and 1 was 7-4), 48 of MSUs 102 seasons have been under .500...1 D1 conference title (1989).

Then again...the story at Texas State was very similar in terms of success.

Apphole
April 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Speaking of tiny schmeckles, I talked to your Rabbi, Citdog. He wanted apologize for sneezing during your Bris.

citdog
April 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Speaking of tiny schmeckles, I talked to your Rabbi, Citdog. He wanted apologize for sneezing during your Bris.

Mines at least 52 and yours is only 28

anti-Semite much?

clenz
April 11th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Based on one good run to the Sweet 16 in 1999? They've escaped the first round of the NCAA Tournament exactly twice.
Mo St would have ripped through the SBC multiple times in the last decade, with ease, with the teams they've fielded.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Then again...the story at Texas State was very similar in terms of success.

Where are they now? Texas State

http://texasstatesports.com/2013/05/08/college-athletics-revenue-report/

Are you curious about how Texas State did compared to others? Well, you’re in luck.
Texas State hauled in a revenue stream of $26.8 million in 2012, good enough for 84th in the nation. That number put the Bobcats second among teams in the Western Athletic Conference (New Mexico State fell in at 77th) and first in the Sun Belt Conference (their new league come July 1).
Nearly half of the Bobcats’ revenue came from student fees ($13 million).
Ticket sales amassed $682,454, compared to $509,629 from the previous calendar year. That amount was the largest since 2006, when the Bobcats sold $557,796 worth of game passes.

Lots of student soaking going on at Texas State.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Question: Does Liberty charge a student fee for athletics? I believe they do not, but I'm not certain.

If that's the case, Liberty would be, by a large margin, the most financially stable school in the SBC if they become members.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM
AshevilleApp2 is a Michigan fanxrotatehx

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Dude's funny as hell.

BisonFan02
April 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10764581/arkansas-state-red-wolves-auctioning-spring-game-coaching-gig

Time to start a fundraiser. I wanna call the Oopty Oop/hook n ladder.

NDSUstudent
April 11th, 2014, 01:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10764581/arkansas-state-red-wolves-auctioning-spring-game-coaching-gig

Time to start a fundraiser. I wanna call the Oopty Oop/hook n ladder.

#chuckthepigskin

darell1976
April 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=90375

I’ll leave this post with this thought. If Missouri State does decide to leave, that brings the Missouri Valley Football Conference back to 9 teams. On one had you can return to a format where each team plays everybody. On another hand, there could be a possibility that if Mo State is gone, is it inconceivable to think that Patty Viverito and Tom Douple get on the same page and talk to UND? The Summit League would love to get to an even number and that would get them 10. I know Bison fans you can freak out know, but that’s why it’s a blog. Enjoy

Here is a post I put up on siouxsports.com:

Putting bad blood (Douple-Kelley) aside. If UND could get into the MVFC and Summit League at the same time effective immediately after MSU bolts for the Sun Belt, should UND accept or stay in the Big Sky? IMO there are so many pros and cons to the Big Sky compared to the MVFC/SL that's its tough to decide.

Pros to moving:

Travel
Conference Tournament in the same city (easier to plan for that week)
Rivals

Cons to moving:

No tv deal like watchbigsky.com (every game available)
home court for regular season champs during tournaments
and the big one.....Stability.

To elaborate on the last one (stability), the MVFC is stable, the Summit has always been a revolving door, but if you have a solid core of 5 UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, and Omaha that would be a good core....HOWEVER, with schools switching conferences who says that Omaha, SDSU wouldn't bolt to the MVC in a heartbeat leaving the rest behind. Denver has a history of switching so they aren't stable, the same with Oral Roberts. WIU is stable, IPFW, IUPUI could be major question marks, could be lured away by a more eastern conference. Just my opinion but its something to think about.

Bisonator
April 11th, 2014, 02:46 PM
#chuckthepigskin

That has #chuckthepigskinguy written all over it! xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2014, 04:31 PM
So if Dorial Green-Beckham goes to Missouri State, do they leap over both Liberty and JMU in the Sun Belt sweepstakes? Asking for a friend.

BisonFan02
April 11th, 2014, 07:48 PM
So if Dorial Green-Beckham goes to Missouri State, do they leap over both Liberty and JMU in the Sun Belt sweepstakes? Asking for a friend.

They would.....but then they got high.

Libertine
April 12th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Would the Sun Belt then kick them out once DG-B graduated? This may be the dumbest hypothetical in the long history of dumb LFN hypotheticals.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Would the Sun Belt then kick them out once DG-B graduated? This may be the dumbest hypothetical in the long history of dumb LFN hypotheticals.

Don't know why you hate me so much, but in case you couldn't tell, this was a joke.

Libertine
April 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Don't know why you hate me so much, but in case you couldn't tell, this was a joke.
I don't hate you. When you're writing about something that actually happens, I think you're pretty good and better than most at this level. I just hate your tactic of tossing out hypotheticals that serve no other purpose than to get people talking about nothing. You're far from the only one who does it -- Bleacher Report is pretty much entirely built on this concept -- but you're one of the few who bother to do it at the FCS level.
And, no, I did not realize it was a joke. If anyone else had said it, I probably would have but it really kind of blends in with all the other chat-fodder you mash out.

Redbirdz
April 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM
JSU, not JMU.

ThompsonThe
April 14th, 2014, 01:48 PM
JSU would have an almost impossible time getting into the Sun Belt since so many schools opposing in Alabama and the Gulf area.

Apphole
April 14th, 2014, 05:27 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-orlando-to-host-third-bowl-game-aac-sun-belt-20140414,0,4605138.story

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 14th, 2014, 05:34 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-orlando-to-host-third-bowl-game-aac-sun-belt-20140414,0,4605138.story

Another bowl? That's the last thing cfb needs, and that's coming from an alum of an AAC school....

Sly Fox
April 14th, 2014, 06:07 PM
That's actually terrific news as far as I am concerned. More teams get to indulge in the bowl experience to end their season in a warm, fun environment. The bowl hate around here has always perplexed me. I have been to countless bowls and they are nearly always a blast.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM
That's actually terrific news as far as I am concerned. More teams get to indulge in the bowl experience to end their season in a warm, fun environment. The bowl hate around here has always perplexed me. I have been to countless bowls and they are nearly always a blast.

It's not hate, it's perplexity. Bowls are not special. Just because we don't fall in awe of the Beef O Brady's bowl doesn't mean we hate it.

Redbirdz
April 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM
JSU would have an almost impossible time getting into the Sun Belt since so many schools opposing in Alabama and the Gulf area.

Why? Are they scarit? (sic)

ThompsonThe
April 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM

Not in the least. They just do not want them.

Cocky
April 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM
They have a tough time recruiting against us even with the FBS advantage. Just ask past Coach Bill Clark how many recruits changed to UAB? His staff flipped one player after trying to on several. Give JSU the FBS label and the only state schools we have a disadvantage to are UAT and Auburn.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
xcoffeex

Essentially a way to make UCF some coin

Apphole
April 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
xcoffeex

An excuse to head to sunny Florida and watch a game that will have more fans present and watching on TV than the FCS National Championship Game? Sounds good to me. xcoffeex

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2014, 12:16 PM
An excuse to head to sunny Florida and watch a game that will have more fans present and watching on TV than the FCS National Championship Game? Sounds good to me. xcoffeex

You are missing the point. The point is no one cares either way. The vast majority of the country does not know who is playing in the FCS championship. They do not know who is playing in the third Orlando Bowl game either.

The Bowl is not an homage to the SunBelt. The article notes the Citrus Bowl is going through a $200million renovation. The Bowl game is an excuse for someone other than Orlando residents to help pay the freight.

If you wanted television ratings, big money, and a national following, you need to find another team.

IBleedYellow
April 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM
You are missing the point. The point is no one cares either way. The vast majority of the country does not know who is playing in the FCS championship. They do not know who is playing in the third Orlando Bowl game either.

The Bowl is not an homage to the SunBelt. The article notes the Citrus Bowl is going through a $200million renovation. The Bowl game is an excuse for someone other than Orlando residents to help pay the freight.

If you wanted television ratings, big money, and a national following, you need to find another team.

99.9% of those that post on this board need to do that.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2014, 01:01 PM
99.9% of those that post on this board need to do that.

Always been my take as well. Those things aren't what I care about either. I'm good with it that an underdog can pull off something good once in a while but when you have the advantages and still can't/don't do it I'm not real impressed. How impressive could it be to make a bowl game when 1/2 the teams make it? On top of that they lead to nothing, you play that game and you're done. You don't have an elevation aspect if you win your team is still where they were before the game. Meaningless exhibitions is really the only way to describe it. Ooooh, that sounds exciting.

Just a different focus on if it's important to ya I guess but people that aren't natural fans of your team or school don't matter a whole lot to me.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM

Temple or UConn fans aren't traveling to this game if they're the AAC participant. This game is built around UCF and USF from the AAC imo.

Temple got almost nothing out of their New Mexico Bowl trip a few years ago.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 15th, 2014, 01:28 PM
xcoffeex

The game is being played at the Citrus Bowl. It was originally planned for UCF's stadium.

Apphole
April 15th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Temple or UConn fans aren't traveling to this game if they're the AAC participant. This game is built around UCF and USF from the AAC imo.

Temple got almost nothing out of their New Mexico Bowl trip a few years ago.

ECU/App would be a great match up. The two would bring 30k+ altogether, which would be great considering the distance.

Golf, beach trip, Disney -- You could really make a family holiday vacation out of it. Much better than somewhere like Little Rock.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2014, 02:52 PM
ECU/App would be a great match up...

Hopefully not a matchup discussed here, where nobody gives a rats ass

Yotes
April 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Always been my take as well. Those things aren't what I care about either. I'm good with it that an underdog can pull off something good once in a while but when you have the advantages and still can't/don't do it I'm not real impressed. How impressive could it be to make a bowl game when 1/2 the teams make it? On top of that they lead to nothing, you play that game and you're done. You don't have an elevation aspect if you win your team is still where they were before the game. Meaningless exhibitions is really the only way to describe it. Ooooh, that sounds exciting.

Just a different focus on if it's important to ya I guess but people that aren't natural fans of your team or school don't matter a whole lot to me.
The lack of an elevation aspect is why everything above FCS and below the upper echelon of FBS is just purgatory. What's the difference between the Potato Bowl, New Orleans Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, and the rest of the 32 CURRENT bowl games that aren't a part of the FBS playoff? Half of the FBS gets to make it to these awful bowl games, there's so little excitement and pride to be had in them.

Apphole
April 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Hopefully not a matchup discussed here, where nobody gives a rats ass

That's right. FBS discussion on AGS must be negative and offensive. And positive or objective talk about the FBS is strictly prohibited.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 15th, 2014, 03:33 PM
That's right. FBS discussion on AGS must be negative and offensive. And positive or objective talk about the FBS is strictly prohibited.

incessant FBS talk belongs in the "other sports" forum. How long do you think we'd last on the sunbeltbbs talking about how awesome FCS is?

SUPharmacist
April 15th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Golf, beach trip, Disney -- You could really make a family holiday vacation out of it. Much better than somewhere like Little Rock.

Oh, I get it now. This is for people who only care about the destination, and not the meaning of the game.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 15th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Oh, I get it now. This is for people who only care about the destination, and not the meaning of the game.

I always have that same "WTF?" sort of reaction when I see that. Our trip to Boone was one of the tops I've been on, fun 100% of the time and there is not one thing about that place that has any of that Disneyland BS or the ol' "the wife and kids need to do some shopping and playing around" type of thing.

In other words if that's what you're selling then I'd have to question how into the game and your team competing and so forth.

If it doesn't have to do with the game and the experience of meeting some fans from the wrong side of the tracks the WGAF about the rest of the crap. That **** is so secondary I can't even rank it.

CID1990
April 15th, 2014, 08:20 PM

You're already hated on the Sun Blet BBW arent you

Apphole
April 15th, 2014, 10:52 PM
You're already hated on the Sun Blet BBW arent you

BBW? Is that the kind of porn you watch?

On CSNBBS I'm just another Varsity poster.

hebmskebm
April 15th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Speaking of the Sun Belt board rumors flying on there right now that JMU's brass have shut the door on going FBS anytime soon.

Yotes
April 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM
So many FCS schools turning down the Sun Belt. Have they thought about going after D2 schools?

hebmskebm
April 15th, 2014, 11:41 PM
So many FCS schools turning down the Sun Belt. Have they thought about going after D2 schools?

The way the guy who claims to have the inside knowledge says it, JMU would have turned down any FBS offer, including C-USA. Their higher ups were just not comfortable with it. He also says it's unlikely the SB recruits any more FCS schools and their most likely course of action is to add UMass football only and New Mex. St. all-sports.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 01:10 AM

yawn......yet ANOTHER meaningless game.......

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Just a meaningless as Citadel's football season. Since y'all never make the playoffs and all.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 07:16 AM
[insert image of the Citadel's win over App State here]

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Just a meaningless as Citadel's football season. Since y'all never make the playoffs and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RvKvSYkmju2eaWYnKVXVwplexI6UMUMOEMKlMcIjNtlyCRpKm9 RA1znkavtUFO9-Viy58ILSccwFTys2dhANnELFpIPTUvcuzuoYeoDP30XbQ4d-GQ6vr6N8CrJH=s0-d-e1-ft#http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Meaningless.

Mattymc727
April 16th, 2014, 07:46 AM
[insert image of the Citadel's win over App State here]

Excellent call my friend.

CID1990
April 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Meaningless.

The butthurt is strong with this one

It is pretty clear you are not getting the respect you feel you deserve on the sun bert board

but then Troy and UL Lafayette earned their FBS stripes- powerhouses that they are- ASU is just going to have to pay its dues before you can enjoy that kind of stature and reputation

NoDak 4 Ever
April 16th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Meaningless.

an invite from the Sun Belt? Finally some honesty in this thread.

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM
The butthurt is strong with this one

It is pretty clear you are not getting the respect you feel you deserve on the sun bert board

but then Troy and UL Lafayette earned their FBS stripes- powerhouses that they are- ASU is just going to have to pay its dues before you can enjoy that kind of stature and reputation

Public opinion of App/App fans is pretty good on CSNBBS. Most of the scorn is concentrated on the relentless Liberty pimps.

I think last season's humble pie really knocked all the confidence out of most of us, so there's really no reason for long-time FBSers to hate.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2014, 08:33 AM
The way the guy who claims to have the inside knowledge says it, JMU would have turned down any FBS offer, including C-USA. Their higher ups were just not comfortable with it. He also says it's unlikely the SB recruits any more FCS schools and their most likely course of action is to add UMass football only and New Mex. St. all-sports.

I think it's pretty unlikely that UMass joins the Sun Belt as it would probably double their football budget for questionable return. For UMass, it's the AAC, C-USA, FCS, or drop, I think.

Though the guys credibility has to be in question if he thinks a C-USA invite would be declined by JMU. That's just crazy talk.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 16th, 2014, 09:51 AM

The Sun Belt already has what it needs to surpass the MAC and CUSA in football, and possibly get into the rearview mirror of Mountain West and AAC.

This is about the magic number 12 to get a conference championship game. The belt just needs a team with a pulse to take the 12th spot and get the game.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2014, 09:52 AM
The belt just needs a team with a pulse

You've been reading Karl Benson's private memos?

clenz
April 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM
The Sun Belt passes a conference that has a team that's been in back to back BCS bowls and a heisman finalist?

It wasn't just that team either...the MAC had multiple teams ranked in the top 25 and had a second team that was right on the cusp of a BCS bid until NIU beat them.

birdsflyhigh
April 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM
+1 on that clenz. Exactly what I was thinking. Think many fans opinion of the Sun Belt is that of very low caliber FBS. Pretty sure the MSU Bears are backing away from the Sun Belt too, so that leaves Liberty. How sad is that?

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Public opinion of App/App fans is pretty good on CSNBBS. Most of the scorn is concentrated on the relentless Liberty pimps.

I think last season's humble pie really knocked all the confidence out of most of us, so there's really no reason for long-time FBSers to hate.

I am interested to see how the season goes for both. Despite the bluster, App and GSU took it on the chin last year in the SoCon. App, in particular, looked completely outmatched in several games.

Right now, I'd have GSU as the third best team in the SoCon (behind UTC and Furman) and App State the sixth (behind UTC, Furman, GSU, Wofford, and Samford). I'm interested to see how that translates into the SunBelt.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 16th, 2014, 10:14 AM
The Sun Belt passes a conference that has a team that's been in back to back BCS bowls and a heisman finalist?

It wasn't just that team either...the MAC had multiple teams ranked in the top 25 and had a second team that was right on the cusp of a BCS bid until NIU beat them.

Completely forgetting that NIU got murdered in their BCS bowl game. FBS has a DII, just not named such.

jmufan999
April 16th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Though the guys credibility has to be in question if he thinks a C-USA invite would be declined by JMU. That's just crazy talk.

it never ceases to amaze me how many people believe ANYTHING/EVERYTHING they read. it really is funny, but at the same time, sad. why would someone go to a Sun Belt board to get "inside" info on JMU? even if you go to a JMU board, why would someone just assume they're getting accurate info? this "insider" could be a giggling 12 year-old girl who is amazed at how much attention she's getting. you know, like chattownmocs (sorry, i couldn't resist the cheap shot).

LFN, i'm not saying you're one of these people that runs with any rumor as being gospel, don't take this to mean i'm calling YOU out.

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I am interested to see how the season goes for both. Despite the bluster, App and GSU took it on the chin last year in the SoCon. App, in particular, looked completely outmatched in several games.

Right now, I'd have GSU as the third best team in the SoCon (behind UTC and Furman) and App State the sixth (behind UTC, Furman, GSU, Wofford, and Samford). I'm interested to see how that translates into the SunBelt.

It will be interesting to see how we do with a full roster, as we redshirted essentially every first-year player last year. Satterfield getting the hang of the HC position will make an impact too. We showed steady improvement and more consistency towards the end of the season last year. But now we're facing much tougher competition. I wouldn't be surprised with a two-win, a six-win season or anything in between.

clenz
April 16th, 2014, 10:37 AM
+1 on that clenz. Exactly what I was thinking. Think many fans opinion of the Sun Belt is that of very low caliber FBS. Pretty sure the MSU Bears are backing away from the Sun Belt too, so that leaves Liberty. How sad is that?
That's what I'm hearing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely forgetting that NIU got murdered in their BCS bowl game. FBS has a DII, just not named such.
When was the last time a SBC got close to a BCS bowl?
Top 25?
Multiple top 25 teams?

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
It will be interesting to see how we do with a full roster, as we redshirted essentially every first-year player last year. Satterfield getting the hang of the HC position will make an impact too. We showed steady improvement and more consistency towards the end of the season last year. But now we're facing much tougher competition. I wouldn't be surprised with a two-win, a six-win season or anything in between.

We've heard the excuses. GSU was too injured, App State had too many redshirts, neither team cared. GSU's excuses pretty much stopped after they beat Florida (those excuses failed to pass the laugh test after that). App State still had plenty of veteran players they'd had for years and returned most of the team from a good 2012 campaign.

The reality is neither team was as good as their fans thought they were.

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 12:38 PM
A disappointing season, no doubt.

But in the interest of evaluating our strength for the coming year, some people might think it pertinent to look specifically into certain problems rather than just say "we sucked last year." Red shirts, coaching transitions, QB changes and the like are tangible factors that culminated in that disappointing season. It's a lot more utilitarian than just making "excuses" to make ourselves feel better.

knucklehead
April 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM
With JMU and MoSt out, it's looking good for Liberty. I just don't believe they would take another FB only rental in UMass. And it looks like EKU has a way to go to be ready. We have heard rumblings that LU is much closer on the votes after our President's site visits. And that was before MoSt and JMU became no's.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
With JMU and MoSt out, it's looking good for Liberty. I just don't believe they would take another FB only rental in UMass. And it looks like EKU has a way to go to be ready. We have heard rumblings that LU is much closer on the votes after our President's site visits. And that was before MoSt and JMU became no's.

http://blog.angelatung.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/inigo-montoya.jpeg

IBleedYellow
April 16th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I really wanted MSU to take it so we could have a few shakeups in some other conferences...

Blah.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM
A disappointing season, no doubt.

But in the interest of evaluating our strength for the coming year, some people might think it pertinent to look specifically into certain problems rather than just say "we sucked last year." Red shirts, coaching transitions, QB changes and the like are tangible factors that culminated in that disappointing season. It's a lot more utilitarian than just making "excuses" to make ourselves feel better.

Perhaps. With App's case in particular I think you could see 2013 coming. Some of the games from the 2011 and 2012 seasons really indicated that the current crop of App players were not the caliber of those that populated the team in the mid-2000s.

App still has a talented roster, but you were starting to see the effects of some poor recruiting along both fronts. I recall well that App's recruiting classes of four or five years ago where high on 3 star "athletes" and very thin on linemen. I forget the year, but it was the year that App and Furman heavily recruited Dakota Dozier that signing day came and App was forced to rely heavily on walkons. That started to really show the past few years.

superman7515
April 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah, if Liberty leaves and with Monmouth pretty clear they are just sticking around until their stop-gap contract expires, it will be interesting to see how the remaining Big South schools proceed.

clenz
April 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I'd have to believe CCU would be CAA/SoCon radar wouldn't they?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM

SoCon's just adding filler now, might be good to get a quality member in.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM

I really don't think Mercer or ETSU will be seen as filler in 5 yrs. I'm not sure how VMI is gonna fit in there but you never know on them and they could have a chance at change with a re-introduction to old rivals but I am not holding my breath on it either.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM

One team doesn't make a conference. And who cares if they were ranked if they weren't legit? Northern Illinois was lucky to beat Eastern Illinois and got hammered by Bowling Green. And that 2012 Kent State team that was ranked ended up losing to Arkansas State

Look at the SBC head to head with other non-AQ leagues in recent history. That's where it matters. The rankings and the BCS bowl bids will come in time.

We've heard the excuses. GSU was too injured, App State had too many redshirts, neither team cared. GSU's excuses pretty much stopped after they beat Florida (those excuses failed to pass the laugh test after that). App State still had plenty of veteran players they'd had for years and returned most of the team from a good 2012 campaign.

The reality is neither team was as good as their fans thought they were.

I really thought the injuries were our biggest problem. After we beat Florida I started to believe what some of our fans were saying .... that what we practicing offensively through the entire off-season and what we were actually doing in the games was different. There was a lot of experimenting going on offensively with our coaches and a lot of it had nothing to do with injuries. I kind of think Monken intended to use the whole season as some kind of experiment for our first year in FBS. I don't think its a coincidence that both App State and GSU have very below-average years in their transition years to FBS.

Understand I'm not saying that we should've won every conference game. I was anticipating losing 1 or possibly 2 conference games. But there is no doubt in my mind with a normal level of injuries and playoff eligibility we could've made another deep playoff run.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM

The Citadel and Furman don't want them so they aren't coming. THAT'S the way it works in the Southern Conference.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Mercer has a better coach than YOU do. In less than 5 years the Bears will be a power. ETSU is going to do well playing games away from the aircraft hangar that limited them before.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM
One team doesn't make a conference. And who cares if they were ranked if they weren't legit? Northern Illinois was lucky to beat Eastern Illinois and got hammered by Bowling Green. And that 2012 Kent State team that was ranked ended up losing to Arkansas State

Look at the SBC head to head with other non-AQ leagues in recent history. That's where it matters. The rankings and the BCS bowl bids will come in time.

I really thought the injuries were our biggest problem. After we beat Florida I started to believe what some of our fans were saying .... that what we practicing offensively through the entire off-season and what we were actually doing in the games was different. There was a lot of experimenting going on offensively with our coaches and a lot of it had nothing to do with injuries. I kind of think Monken intended to use the whole season as some kind of experiment for our first year in FBS. I don't think its a coincidence that both App State and GSU have very below-average years in their transition years to FBS.

Understand I'm not saying that we should've won every conference game. I was anticipating losing 1 or possibly 2 conference games. But there is no doubt in my mind with a normal level of injuries and playoff eligibility we could've made another deep playoff run.

But that just assumes the conclusion and works backwards. Objectively, App was flat bad and GSU missed dearly Jaybo Shaw and some of their key players they lost on defense.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I really don't think Mercer or ETSU will be seen as filler in 5 yrs. I'm not sure how VMI is gonna fit in there but you never know on them and they could have a chance at change with a re-introduction to old rivals but I am not holding my breath on it either.

I agree. Mercer's not a household name, but it's worth looking at their 2013-2014 sports year. 10-2 in football, basketball was extremely good and made national news, their baseball team is 28-10, etc. They've had a massively successful year by anyone's standards.

VMI, I think, is a much better program now than they were when their last go around in the SoCon. They have some respectable programs.

I, for one, really like the new SoCon. I think there are going to be a lot of great rivalries formed out of this group.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I agree. Mercer's not a household name, but it's worth looking at their 2013-2014 sports year. 10-2 in football, basketball was extremely good and made national news, their baseball team is 28-10, etc. They've had a massively successful year by anyone's standards.

VMI, I think, is a much better program now than they were when their last go around in the SoCon. They have some respectable programs.

I, for one, really like the new SoCon. I think there are going to be a lot of great rivalries formed out of this group.

Yes, I'm glad the SoCon now is made of fairly like minded schools. Don't get me wrong App or GSU'ers I was a big fan of both programs while they were FCS and followed them closely but as far as the conference goes I think it's a tighter knit group that will be better off going forward now.

The Cats
April 16th, 2014, 04:13 PM
The Citadel and Furman don't want them so they aren't coming. THAT'S the way it works in the Southern Conference.

Come July 1, Furman & Citadel might not wield as much influence in the SoCon as in the past. Just saying.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Come July 1, Furman & Citadel might not wield as much influence in the SoCon as in the past. Just saying.

We have been running the show since the 30's. WHAT is going to change?

The Cats
April 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM
We have been running the show since the 30's. WHAT is going to change?

If that were true, ASU, GSU, WCU, UTC, UNCG, Charleston, Marshall, & ETSU (the first time) would never have been members of the Southern Conference.

So much for running the show.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 04:25 PM
If that were true, ASU, GSU, WCU, UTC, UNCG, Charleston, Marshall, & ETSU (the first time) would never have been members of the Southern Conference.

So much for running the show.

We would be better off IF NONE HAD EVER BEEN ALLOWED TO JOIN! Give me back Richmond and William and Mary. The South Carolina schools RUN the SoCon.....how's it going getting that baseball tourney moved to the 'whee going for you?

The Cats
April 16th, 2014, 04:36 PM
....how's it going getting that baseball tourney moved to the 'whee going for you?

Have you notified the SoCon of WCU's interest in the tournament?

That's news to both WCU and the SoCon office. Now, a case could be made for Asheville, but nothings in the works there either as far as I know.

Too bad you have to bring that 2-13 baseball conference record to the Whee this weekend.

citdog
April 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Have you notified the SoCon of WCU's interest in the tournament?

That's news to both WCU and the SoCon office. Now, a case could be made for Asheville, but nothings in the works there either as far as I know.

Too bad you have to bring that 2-13 baseball conference record to the Whee this weekend.

It really is a nice problem when the MLB Draft takes your best players after their Junior years. Just in case you forgot.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/The_Citadel_Baseball_Plaque.jpg

cullowhee community college has WHINED since king douche jack legget coached them about Charleston hosting the tourney.......people WANT to come to Charleston people WIND UP in cullowhee by making a WRONG TURN at Sylva.

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Perhaps. With App's case in particular I think you could see 2013 coming. Some of the games from the 2011 and 2012 seasons really indicated that the current crop of App players were not the caliber of those that populated the team in the mid-2000s.

App still has a talented roster, but you were starting to see the effects of some poor recruiting along both fronts. I recall well that App's recruiting classes of four or five years ago where high on 3 star "athletes" and very thin on linemen. I forget the year, but it was the year that App and Furman heavily recruited Dakota Dozier that signing day came and App was forced to rely heavily on walkons. That started to really show the past few years.

Absolutely. Our failure to sign big uglies and the hiring and retention of Bob McClain finally came to roost. The perfect storm. Both lines will be much improved this year.

Apphole
April 16th, 2014, 05:45 PM
And every Socon school gets one vote, Kev. The only reason you have that illusion of power is because there are 3 SoCon schools in the lesser Carolina who tend to vote the same way.

PaladinFan
April 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM
And every Socon school gets one vote, Kev. The only reason you have that illusion of power is because there are 3 SoCon schools in the lesser Carolina who tend to vote the same way.

Isn't that the same thing as "running the show?"

OL FU
April 17th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Mercer has a better coach than YOU do. In less than 5 years the Bears will be a power. ETSU is going to do well playing games away from the aircraft hangar that limited them before.

What did we missxeyebrowx

AppChicago
April 17th, 2014, 10:22 AM
It really is a nice problem when the MLB Draft takes your best players after their Junior years. Just in case you forgot.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/The_Citadel_Baseball_Plaque.jpg

cullowhee community college has WHINED since king douche jack legget coached them about Charleston hosting the tourney.......people WANT to come to Charleston people WIND UP in cullowhee by making a WRONG TURN at Sylva.

Your 2002 is a little drunk.

CID1990
April 17th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Speaking of baseball, we are 7-4 versus the ACC, SEC, B1G and whatever conference Louisville is in, but 2-13 in the SoCon. And the SoCon isn't that good this year.

WTF

citdog
April 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Speaking of baseball, we are 7-4 versus the ACC, SEC, B1G and whatever conference Louisville is in, but 2-13 in the SoCon. And the SoCon isn't that good this year.

WTF

Cadets whipped the Top 5 Ranked South Carolina Gamecocks last evening in Charleston.

The Cats
April 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Cadets whipped the Top 5 Ranked South Carolina Gamecocks last evening in Charleston.

Yeah, but Charleston Southern beat you to it the night before.

As a matter of fact, the Gamecocks are on a 4 game losing streak and have lost 6 of their last 8.

But a win is a win, so congratulations.

It won't help you in Cullowhee this weekend anyway. xrotatehx

citdog
April 17th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but Charleston Southern beat you to it the night before.

As a matter of fact, the Gamecocks are on a 4 game losing streak and have lost 6 of their last 8.

But a win is a win, so congratulations.

It won't help you in Cullowhee this weekend anyway. xrotatehx

why? do the raleigh brothers have a 25th year of eligibility?

hebmskebm
May 13th, 2014, 08:11 PM
According to Liberty's beat writer, they should have their answer relatively soon.

https://twitter.com/ChrisLangLNA/status/466352534844878848

If you're looking for the day to keep an eye on re: The Sun Belt and a membership vote, it's next Tuesday.

Bogus Megapardus
May 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM
According to Liberty's beat writer, they should have their answer relatively soon.

https://twitter.com/ChrisLangLNA/status/466352534844878848

If you're looking for the day to keep an eye on re: The Sun Belt and a membership vote, it's next Tuesday.

Chris Lang is a very professional, reliable journalist. But even he hasn't rendered an opinion on this, has he?

knucklehead
May 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Not really. He did tweet that LU was still very much in the running for the SBC spot a couple weeks ago when some said they were out. Pretty quiet on the official front right now.

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24562275/sun-belt-umass-in-discussions-about-membership

UMass to Sunbelt? That makes sense....awesome.

superman7515
May 19th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Doesn't sound like any teams will be added this week...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/sun_belt_conference_commission_1.html

During a long day of meetings and other duties, Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson took a few minutes to talk with the Alabama Media Group's Tommy Hicks to talk about some of the issues facing the league and its future.Q: Will there be any movement this week on conference membership?
A: I'm not expecting that any decision will be made and that we will continue to evaluate and assess. As much as I've gone on record and indicated a strong desire to get to 12 teams, not just for football, but for all sports, I don't think we need to rush to a decision. We're still in a period of transition. We're adding App State (Appalachian State) and Georgia Southern. These meetings are the first time in three years that there isn't somebody serving a lame duck season. All 11 teams are in the Sun Belt and planning and preparing and trying to build the Sun Belt. We finally have a full set of members around the table here this week and as we go into next season, everyone is in and that's what we should be focusing on and building what we have.
Q: Is there a preferred timetable or an existing timetable for adding another team to the league?
A: It's usually done in the January, February, March, April quarter of the year. Not that it can't happen some other time of the year, but that's the traditional time.
Q: What's on the agenda for this week? What do you want to see discussed and perhaps acted upon?
A: It's planning for the future, and while it may be difficult in terms of scheduling and tournament format, when you know that eventually we're going to get to 12 teams, we need to be on the short-term more than the long-term in planning. The scheduling in all three sports - football and men's and women's basketball - particularly in non-conference scheduling, is so important to the future of the Sun Belt, regardless of whether we have 10, 11 or 12 teams. The new college football schedule is going to be driven by strength of schedule. Our goal as a football-playing conference is to have the highest-ranked champion among our peers. Our goal is to be like we were this year, to be the No. 1 conference in terms of our peers. That carries forward this year and next year and the coming years as well....

citdog
May 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM
appy gsu? NEVER heard of them.

ThompsonThe
May 20th, 2014, 02:30 AM
appy gsu? NEVER heard of them.

Can understand that. Hard to hear or learn anything when you spend all your time picking up trash along the highway.
Learning bell hop is a multi faceted task.

ThompsonThe
May 20th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Sounds as if the Sun Belt has decided not to add any new schools.
Announcement by this afternoon. Evidently UMass, Eastern Kentucky,
Liberty, and Missouri State either were not up to par facility wise or
their football wins and losses were not acceptable because of the new
NCAA FBS format where strength of schedule matters a lot in getting into
the new four team national playoffs.
Arkansas State announced Friday that they would not play any more FCS
teams in football for the same reason. Probably being discussed at the Sun Belt meeting also.
One conference has also announced they will no longer play FCS schools.

darell1976
May 20th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Sounds as if the Sun Belt has decided not to add any new schools.
Announcement by this afternoon. Evidently UMass, Eastern Kentucky,
Liberty, and Missouri State either were not up to par facility wise or
their football wins and losses were not acceptable because of the new
NCAA FBS format where strength of schedule matters a lot in getting into
the new four team national playoffs.
Arkansas State announced Friday that they would not play any more FCS
teams in football for the same reason. Probably being discussed at the Sun Belt meeting also.
One conference has also announced they will no longer play FCS schools.

What conference won't play FCS schools? We (UND) play 2 PAC12 teams, a MAC and a MW team from 2015-2018.

ThompsonThe
May 20th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Big 10. In addition a couple of P5 conferences are only scheduling each other with
fill ins from other P5's and G5's, but do not have a hard and fast rule of not scheduling
FCS but their conferences are asking them not to schedule FCS.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190943281.html

darell1976
May 20th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Big 10. In addition a couple of P5 conferences are only scheduling each other with
fill ins from other P5's and G5's, but do not have a hard and fast rule of not scheduling

I thought it was a conference besides the Big10. If the SOS is a big factor it will hurt the smaller conferences than the p5, since conference play will make up for it, so I don't know why the B10 is scared to play the FCS besides getting beat.

Laker
May 20th, 2014, 06:35 AM
I wonder if the Bank will ever be full for non-conference games. At least NDSU, SDSU and USD brought fans when they played the Goofers.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Sounds as if the Sun Belt has decided not to add any new schools. Announcement by this afternoon. Evidently UMass, Eastern Kentucky,Liberty, and Missouri State either were not up to par facility wise ortheir football wins and losses were not acceptable because of the newNCAA FBS format where strength of schedule matters a lot in getting intothe new four team national playoffs.Arkansas State announced Friday that they would not play any more FCSteams in football for the same reason. Probably being discussed at the Sun Belt meeting also.One conference has also announced they will no longer play FCS schools.The bleach doesn't want to schedule FCS teams because they don't want to get whipped. Your team couldn't even best NC a&t.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Can understand that. Hard to hear or learn anything when you spend all your time picking up trash along the highway.Learning bell hop is a multi faceted task.At least we can cut our own grass without injury.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Feb. 12, 2013

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/3/b10-wont-penalize-schools-that-schedule-fcs-teams/?page=all

B10 won’t penalize schools that schedule FCS teams

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/big-ten/2015-indiana-hoosiers-football-schedule.php

Hey, look! Southern Illinois!

walliver
May 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Your link is 14 months old. The B1G has backed down a little since then.

It would not surprise me if the Sun Belt banned FCS games for the sole purpose of "increasing their prestige". The Big South, at its inception, banned any non-D1 games in sports it sponsored, and look what it did for that conference's basketball prestige. Fortunately, for Baptist College of Charleston, the Big South didn't sponsor football at that time.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Boone is 15 years behind the rest of the Southern Confederacy so Thompson picking up that link only 14 months late is a significant improvement.

AppChicago
May 20th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Boone is 15 years behind the rest of the Southern Confederacy so Thompson picking up that link only 14 months late is a significant improvement.

Because the last thing you would want to see is a guy who's stuck in the past.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM

at least I'm not from chicago.

AppChicago
May 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
at least I'm not from chicago.
... zing?

AshevilleApp2
May 20th, 2014, 02:21 PM

xlolx Good one.

citdog
May 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM
xlolx Good one.

humor, like teeth, are wasted on the mountain white trash

NoDak 4 Ever
May 20th, 2014, 07:19 PM
humor, like teeth, are wasted on the mountain white trash

If **** runs downhill, it doesn't get more downhill than the low country.

walliver
May 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM
If **** runs downhill, it doesn't get more downhill than the low country.

Charleston has its own reality distortion field that protects it. The for-profit Charleston School of Law is prestigious and the College of Charleston is one of America's finest educational institutions. Horses wear diapers. Citdog's concern about the on-going military occupation by the United States is one of the more rational thought-lines in the Holy City.

dbackjon
May 21st, 2014, 05:14 PM

It would not surprise me if the Sun Belt banned FCS games for the sole purpose of "Avoiding embarrassing losses". The Big South, at its inception, banned any non-D1 games in sports it sponsored, and look what it did for that conference's basketball prestige. Fortunately, for Baptist College of Charleston, the Big South didn't sponsor football at that time.

FTFY

citdog
May 21st, 2014, 11:55 PM
Charleston has its own reality distortion field that protects it. The for-profit Charleston School of Law is prestigious and the College of Charleston is one of America's finest educational institutions. Horses wear diapers. Citdog's concern about the on-going military occupation by the United States is one of the more rational thought-lines in the Holy City.

The REST of the South and the nation have an inferiority complex when it comes to Charleston. And they SHOULD.

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum"
James Petigru 1860

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Pretty decent article here: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-state-sports/2014/may/21/where-does-sun-belt-go-here/

Couple thoughts:

1) I personally am happy that Liberty was not selected. They have great facilities and would compete well, but there are other well known reasons why they are not a fit for the highest level of competition and should not have that opportunity.

2) I agree with the author that a football-only UMass would not be of much help for the Sun Belt. Both because I don't think it's that important for them to have a championship game as soon as possible and because it's a slam dunk that championship games are no longer going to be regulated by the NCAA. The the BigXII wants to have one without adding any more members and the ACC wants to have one without divisions. It'll pass, once they get to it.

3) Of the remaining FCS possibilities mentioned (Jax St, Alabama St, Eastern Kentucky and Missouri St), I don't think the Sun Belt will take another Alabama school. Yes I know that would be the most sensible thing for them to do, but they're beholden to the idea of expanding to new markets. They've lost their foothold in Kentucky with WKU moving to the CUSA. So EKU could be a way for them to "get back in" KY. On the other hand, Missouri would be a new market for them.

If I had it my way, they'd take Missouri St in all sports. Yes it would be a big downstep in men's basketball for MSU - but is that such a bad thing? They'd dominate the SB most likely, being able to make it to March Madness. That's difficult for them to achieve in the MVC.

That would open up a spot in the MVFC, with potential new football members being able to strengthen the Summit League in turn.

knucklehead
May 22nd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Pretty decent article here: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-state-sports/2014/may/21/where-does-sun-belt-go-here/

Couple thoughts:

1) I personally am happy that Liberty was not selected. They have great facilities and would compete well, but there are other well known reasons why they are not a fit for the highest level of competition and should not have that opportunity.

2) I agree with the author that a football-only UMass would not be of much help for the Sun Belt. Both because I don't think it's that important for them to have a championship game as soon as possible and because it's a slam dunk that championship games are no longer going to be regulated by the NCAA. The the BigXII wants to have one without adding any more members and the ACC wants to have one without divisions. It'll pass, once they get to it.

3) Of the remaining FCS possibilities mentioned (Jax St, Alabama St, Eastern Kentucky and Missouri St), I don't think the Sun Belt will take another Alabama school. Yes I know that would be the most sensible thing for them to do, but they're beholden to the idea of expanding to new markets. They've lost their foothold in Kentucky with WKU moving to the CUSA. So EKU could be a way for them to "get back in" KY. On the other hand, Missouri would be a new market for them.

If I had it my way, they'd take Missouri St in all sports. Yes it would be a big downstep in men's basketball for MSU - but is that such a bad thing? They'd dominate the SB most likely, being able to make it to March Madness. That's difficult for them to achieve in the MVC.

That would open up a spot in the MVFC, with potential new football members being able to strengthen the Summit League in turn.

So, Discrimination? hmm

Well time to focus on this FB season and make the playoffs. Can't wait for Oct 11th in Boone!

Yotes
May 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
The REST of the South and the nation have an inferiority complex when it comes to Charleston. And they SHOULD.

James Petigru 1860
I am going to have to disagree and say that the hundreds of millions of people in this country who have never been to Charleston simply don't give a flying ****.

Cocky
May 22nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
I am going to have to disagree and say that the hundreds of millions of people in this country who have never been to Charleston simply don't give a flying ****.
Have to agree, I've been to Charleston and it isn't my type place. But Citidog probably wouldn't like my perfect place either.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM

James Petigru 1860

Are you still in Montana? Seems like you'd never leave such a place if it were as perfect as you say.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Have to agree, I've been to Charleston and it isn't my type place. But Citidog probably wouldn't like my perfect place either.

Heard anything about JSU pushing the Sun Belt for an invite?

OL FU
May 22nd, 2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by citdog http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2110249#post2110249) The REST of the South and the nation have an inferiority complex when it comes to Charleston. And they SHOULD.

We now know why the dog is no longer living in Charleston:D

Cocky
May 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
Heard anything about JSU pushing the Sun Belt for an invite?

Troy is fighting as hard as possible to keep us out. Their President is head of the SB now so he controls the agenda and we are not a "must have" to make others push too hard.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2014, 03:29 PM
There are still lots of candidates out there: Jacksonville State, Alabama State, Eastern Kentucky, Liberty and Missouri State, to name a few.

Jacksonville State and Liberty, for differing reasons, are no-gos. The others aren't remotely ready for FBS. So I don't see what the point of the article was.

Adding Massachusetts as a football-only member didn’t make a lot of sense for several reasons. First, the Minutemen, a once-proud FCS program, are 2-22 since moving up to FBS. Adding a poor team just to get to 12 so that a championship game in football can be held doesn’t make a lot of sense. That is particularly true when the school is so far away that it isn’t going to bring too many travelling fans to any games, and vice versa. With a footprint that already extends to New Mexico and Idaho, adding a Northeast itinerary would be financially punitive.

Secondly, adding UMass as a football-only member does nothing to solve scheduling in other sports. There are already football-only members Idaho and New Mexico State.

I would think referring to UMass as "once-proud FCS program" makes not a few FCS fans in the Northeast cackle with delight.

But he is right about the "financially punitive" part of UMass being a part of the Sun Belt. It would be a budget-buster for all the teams of the Sun Belt and UMass. It's already a major stretch getting them to play Idaho.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 22nd, 2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/sun-belt-mailbag/article_bd3ad068-e1c6-11e3-95f7-001a4bcf6878.html

But what about UMass?
There’s simply no urgency to make a decision on the Minutemen right now. They’re in the MAC through 2015. As an existing FBS member, they can go independent for a year if needed. They’d be a full conference member right away if the Sun Belt chose to add them as an associate. That decision can be made this winter, next spring or the next winter. UMass is a factor, but not one that needed to be addressed right this minute.

citdog
May 22nd, 2014, 04:32 PM
would love to see that train wreck known as umass in with the other pretenders.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM
Troy is fighting as hard as possible to keep us out. Their President is head of the SB now so he controls the agenda and we are not a "must have" to make others push too hard.

That's too bad because I know you guys would fit in well with Troy, USA, GA St, etc.

But it doesn't surprise me at all that the Sun Belt would be looking for schools in states outside those in which they already have members.

MplsBison
May 22nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Jacksonville State and Liberty, for differing reasons, are no-gos. The others aren't remotely ready for FBS. So I don't see what the point of the article was.

I would think referring to UMass as "once-proud FCS program" makes not a few FCS fans in the Northeast cackle with delight.

But he is right about the "financially punitive" part of UMass being a part of the Sun Belt. It would be a budget-buster for all the teams of the Sun Belt and UMass. It's already a major stretch getting them to play Idaho.

Alabama St has a brand new, beautiful stadium right in the capitol of Montgomery. Missouri St is upgrading their stadium. Both would be perfectly fine in football in the Sun Belt with more scholarships and the "cachet" of being FBS (something they can tell recruits). MSU would instantly upgrade SB men's basketball as well.

But alas, not to be ... for now.

Redbirdz
May 23rd, 2014, 09:23 PM
I say it will be Jacksonville State when they add again.

MplsBison
May 24th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I say it will be Jacksonville State when they add again.

In my opinion, that would take Troy moving to a difference conference.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM

It would not surprise me if the Sun Belt banned FCS games for the sole purpose of "increasing their prestige". The Big South, at its inception, banned any non-D1 games in sports it sponsored, and look what it did for that conference's basketball prestige. Fortunately, for Baptist College of Charleston, the Big South didn't sponsor football at that time.

The B1G hasn't backed down. SEC this past week set up a conference OOC program to have more in conference games instead of OOC also.

ThompsonThe
May 24th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Doesn't matter how old it is.
A shame that the citadel has less than a 31% winning ratio against Appalachian State. Still sticks in your craw doesn't it.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Something to think about is the fact that the Sun Belt might not be able to afford guarantees with their current setup, with league games in Idaho and New Mexico.

ThompsonThe
May 25th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Outlier schools pay extra money for visiting Sun Belt schools to come and play them, like Idaho.

MplsBison
May 25th, 2014, 06:54 AM
I was going to say, I think SB teams can command at least double what FCS teams can ask for P5 guarantee games.

With strength of schedule going to be such an important part of the CFP rankings, I think the G5 teams should start holding out for at least 1.5M per game.

citdog
May 25th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Doesn't matter how old it is.
A shame that the citadel has less than a 31% winning ratio against Appalachian State. Still sticks in your craw doesn't it.

52-28 and

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RvKvSYkmju2eaWYnKVXVwplexI6UMUMOEMKlMcIjNtlyCRpKm9 RA1znkavtUFO9-Viy58ILSccwFTys2dhANnELFpIPTUvcuzuoYeoDP30XbQ4d-GQ6vr6N8CrJH=s0-d-e1-ft#http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

Went rather smoothly down my craw!

Cocky
May 25th, 2014, 10:22 PM
In my opinion, that would take Troy moving to a difference conference.
Troy won't be moving anywhere. Just not much to sell to a new conference. USA and UAB may move someday but no other FBS schools in Alabama will be moving.

ThompsonThe
May 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Less than 31%. Bell hops should be ashamed.
Look forward to your rematch with the VMI female cheerleaders.
Maybe you will do better against them this year.

citdog
May 26th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Look forward to your rematch with the VMI female cheerleaders.
Maybe you will do better against them this year.

Would rather confederate with them than with you ANY day. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Which way to the sun bletch board?

MplsBison
May 26th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Troy won't be moving anywhere. Just not much to sell to a new conference. USA and UAB may move someday but no other FBS schools in Alabama will be moving.

In these of market driven expansion, how will Jacksonville St be able to join the same conference as Troy? The same question would go to Alabama St.

Cocky
May 26th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Our only hope will be if the SB realizes JSU is in a top 50 market or that no one really care about any of their teams.

major095
May 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
In these of market driven expansion, how will Jacksonville St be able to join the same conference as Troy? The same question would go to Alabama St.

alabama state is in the capital city and has the best fcs facilities in the country. they would be a tremendous home draw for troy and uab, and have been when they played in the past. i just don't know if the mission of hbcu's will ever completely jive w/ big boy football, and if alabama state in particular will be able to get out of it's own way anytime soon, or at least before I become president there.

kdinva
May 26th, 2014, 05:01 PM
alabama state....has the best fcs facilities in the country. they would be a tremendous home draw .......

maybe some day 'Bama State can host a 1-AA playoff game...... xarguex

kdinva
May 26th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Look forward to your rematch with VMI

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/csj-classic-archives/archives/220-csj-classic-socon-mismatch-becomes-vmi-s-ultimate-upset

what's the name of this chat room?xcoachx

MplsBison
May 26th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Our only hope will be if the SB realizes JSU is in a top 50 market or that no one really care about any of their teams.

That may be true, but whatever market JSU claims as its home market is the same market that Troy already claims. The idea of "market share" doesn't enter into the equation because it's always about potential with new markets.

MplsBison
May 26th, 2014, 05:12 PM
alabama state is in the capital city and has the best fcs facilities in the country. they would be a tremendous home draw for troy and uab, and have been when they played in the past. i just don't know if the mission of hbcu's will ever completely jive w/ big boy football, and if alabama state in particular will be able to get out of it's own way anytime soon, or at least before I become president there.

You're right about their location, stadium and potential drawing ability. I too wonder if they have any ambition at all to step out of the HBCU shadow.

Nonetheless, the SB won't be interested because Troy already claims the capitol as its home market and they probably wouldn't be able to get a discussion with the CUSA unless UAB left.

MplsBison
May 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM
So, Discrimination? hmm

Well time to focus on this FB season and make the playoffs. Can't wait for Oct 11th in Boone!

Not discrimination.

Liberty will be and should be denied further opportunities so long as they promote themselves as a vehicle for glorifying a lunatic, profiteering bigot.

major095
May 26th, 2014, 08:02 PM
You're right about their location, stadium and potential drawing ability. I too wonder if they have any ambition at all to step out of the HBCU shadow.

Nonetheless, the SB won't be interested because Troy already claims the capitol as its home market and they probably wouldn't be able to get a discussion with the CUSA unless UAB left.

they do want to shed the hbcu label to a large degree. they want to be the best school, not the best hbcu. they don't want to ignore their historical roots, and they shouldn't. the state of alabama mandating they get their white student enrollment up is helping with that, but alabama is alabama. some folks will always think of them as the black school (if only they said it so kindly).

citdog
May 26th, 2014, 08:05 PM
but alabama is alabama. some folks will always think of them as the black school (if only they said it so kindly).

Sources? Why clutter up a good point with that crap?

Cocky
May 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
That may be true, but whatever market JSU claims as its home market is the same market that Troy already claims. The idea of "market share" doesn't enter into the equation because it's always about potential with new markets.
Troy is in the Montgomery market and gets little to no coverage in North Alabama while JSU gets little to no coverage in South Alabama.

MplsBison
May 27th, 2014, 09:30 AM
they do want to shed the hbcu label to a large degree. they want to be the best school, not the best hbcu. they don't want to ignore their historical roots, and they shouldn't. the state of alabama mandating they get their white student enrollment up is helping with that, but alabama is alabama. some folks will always think of them as the black school (if only they said it so kindly).

If Alabama needs a DI HBCU in the state, then Alabama A&M can serve that purpose. It is a land-grant school after all (the second round of land grants, given to start schools for the education of African-Americans).

I'd like to see AL St move to at least a 50/50 demographic in a couple generations.

But nonetheless, Troy pretty much blocks any chance they have at the Sun Belt. It would be like Grambling trying to get into the same conference as LA Tech.

MplsBison
May 27th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Troy is in the Montgomery market and gets little to no coverage in North Alabama while JSU gets little to no coverage in South Alabama.

You are correct, of course. I apologize, I had JSU's location wrong in my mind. I was thinking they were along the interestate between Montgomery and Atlanta. That must be Auburn.

It makes sense to me then that the Sun Belt would want to have a team in the Birmingham market. They obviously have the facilities to be competitive in Sun Belt football.

I wonder why the Sun Belt didn't consider them at this time, then. It would either be a direct blackball vote from Troy or perhaps they simply didn't want to have three teams in the same state?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Troy, UAB and USA are all in competition to be "the distant third-placed FBS team behind Alabama and Auburn", and none of them have any desire to have Jax St. and/or Alabama State in there to give them more competition for the title.

In Virginia, ODU decided to make the just to C-USA because they have a fairly legitimate claim as to being the "distant third-placed FBS team behind Virginia Tech and UVa", so there's some perceived value to that.

But Troy (and USA, who is not mentioned here but equally as relevant) will fight tooth and nail against any other Alabama school in the Sun Belt because it is not in their interest.

What is ironic is there is no way short of the Death Penalty that USA, Troy or UAB would ever unseat Alabama or Auburn in those top two slots. Even with the death penalty it might not be possible.

Cocky
May 27th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Troy, UAB and USA are all in competition to be "the distant third-placed FBS team behind Alabama and Auburn", and none of them have any desire to have Jax St. and/or Alabama State in there to give them more competition for the title.

In Virginia, ODU decided to make the just to C-USA because they have a fairly legitimate claim as to being the "distant third-placed FBS team behind Virginia Tech and UVa", so there's some perceived value to that.

But Troy (and USA, who is not mentioned here but equally as relevant) will fight tooth and nail against any other Alabama school in the Sun Belt because it is not in their interest.

What is ironic is there is no way short of the Death Penalty that USA, Troy or UAB would ever unseat Alabama or Auburn in those top two slots. Even with the death penalty it might not be possible.

Troy will fight harder than any of the others because it is the bottom of the FBS ladder in AL.

UAT and Auburn will not be challenged by anyone in our lifetime or maybe ever. The competition for third place, as for as fan support, would included AL St and JSU. Those five could all claim the 3 spot with AL AM and UNA having a chance to be added to the conversation.

walliver
May 27th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Unless the "death penalty" lasted 10 years, nothing would change.

In fact, Alabama or Auburn might just join the NFL.

With all the forthcoming changes in Big Time football, there may not be much for which the NCAA can actually punish schools. I suspect the divide between the haves and have nots will widen, not narrow, in the next 10 years. At some point, the feds are not going to allow student loans to subsidize money-losing football programs.

major095
May 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Sources? Why clutter up a good point with that crap?

why?... because it's the truth. sources?

Diversity Scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate white students are a special program of Alabama State University (http://www.alasu.edu/) and Alabama A&M University (http://www.aamu.edu/). The goal is to boost enrollment of those underrepresented in the school: whites and Native Americans, specifically at ASU and “Caucasians” at Alabama A&M. In fact as the result of a discrimination case, a federal court judge in 1995 commanded both ASU and Alabama A&M University to vigorously diversify.1

http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/white-scholarship-guide.htm

I couldn't find the link as the story is several years old, but in the article alabama state univ recruiters were out recruiting white students for the white scholarships they will/are offering through 2017 I believe. In the story, parents of white high school students, were pulling their kids away from the alabama state booth, and were quoted as saying, "Your not going to that ***** school"

now why is that relevant to the post I made? because as I said, alabama state has indicated that they are trying to get rid of the notion that they are only a school for african-americans. but my home state being what it is, there are some people there who will never let them forget they are the black school. that has effects on the academic side as well as on the playing fields regarding who they recruit, and who they can get.

but to the point of the thread... I know troy and south alabama both have concerns about having to compete with alabama state. since bama state got their stadium they have beaten them both with some regularity in recruiting. I also now that troy and south would love to have bama state on their home slate every other year in football, and every year in basketball.

ThompsonThe
May 27th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Have asked their posters many times why they don't join the Sun Belt. None of them ever think their schools would
be interested. It's a shame.

MplsBison
May 28th, 2014, 01:23 PM

UAB is already ahead of Troy and USA because it's in the CUSA. So it's already won the "3rd place" battle over Troy, in that sense. Just like LA Tech can't stand to be in the same conference as Lafayette and Monroe.

So in that sense the argument you make doesn't hold water. But on the other hand, I can see where Troy doesn't see that way. USA though, I think they're just happy to be in FBS football and working on building up their program. I doubt they'd be in any rush to throw their weight around and be divisive within conference politics too soon.

MplsBison
May 28th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Troy will fight harder than any of the others because it is the bottom of the FBS ladder in AL.

UAT and Auburn will not be challenged by anyone in our lifetime or maybe ever. The competition for third place, as for as fan support, would included AL St and JSU. Those five could all claim the 3 spot with AL AM and UNA having a chance to be added to the conversation.

Avg. attendance in 2013 for Alabama DI football programs (and including UNA and Tuskegee for comparison's sake):

1 - Alabama - 101.5k
2 - Auburn - 85.6k
3 - Troy - 18.9k
4 - USA - 15.9k
5 - JSU - 15.8k
6 - AL St - 14.4k
7 - UAB - 10.5k
8 - AL A&M - 9.7k
9 - Samford - 7.5k

Tuskegee - 14.9k
UNA - 9.9k

MplsBison
May 28th, 2014, 01:42 PM

Diversity Scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate white students are a special program of Alabama State University (http://www.alasu.edu/) and Alabama A&M University (http://www.aamu.edu/). The goal is to boost enrollment of those underrepresented in the school: whites and Native Americans, specifically at ASU and “Caucasians” at Alabama A&M. In fact as the result of a discrimination case, a federal court judge in 1995 commanded both ASU and Alabama A&M University to vigorously diversify.1

I couldn't find the link as the story is several years old, but in the article alabama state univ recruiters were out recruiting white students for the white scholarships they will/are offering through 2017 I believe. In the story, parents of white high school students, were pulling their kids away from the alabama state booth, and were quoted as saying, "Your not going to that ***** school"

now why is that relevant to the post I made? because as I said, alabama state has indicated that they are trying to get rid of the notion that they are only a school for african-americans. but my home state being what it is, there are some people there who will never let them forget they are the black school. that has effects on the academic side as well as on the playing fields regarding who they recruit, and who they can get.

but to the point of the thread... I know troy and south alabama both have concerns about having to compete with alabama state. since bama state got their stadium they have beaten them both with some regularity in recruiting. I also now that troy and south would love to have bama state on their home slate every other year in football, and every year in basketball.

It will take a couple (or maybe more) generations to change the attitudes of backwards people in the south. Just the way it is.

But if AL St continues to have the attitude, strategy and determination to hire white, asian, indian, hispanic and middle eastern faculty and attract students of those races - then things will turn around eventually.

Cocky
May 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Avg. attendance in 2013 for Alabama DI football programs (and including UNA and Tuskegee for comparison's sake):

1 - Alabama - 101.5k
2 - Auburn - 85.6k
3 - Troy - 18.9k
4 - USA - 15.9k
5 - JSU - 15.8k
6 - AL St - 14.4k
7 - UAB - 10.5k
8 - AL A&M - 9.7k
9 - Samford - 7.5k

Tuskegee - 14.9k
UNA - 9.9k

Forgot Tuskegee

Redbirdz
May 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Major, I think you might be wrong about Troy's opposition to Jax State in the SB. It would be Troy's biggest rival and fan draw. Economics win out here over hate for the other guy.

citdog
May 29th, 2014, 08:38 AM

So basically you have some admissions folks who aren't doing their jobs and so they fall back onto the old standard excuse as to why.