PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State or Southern Illinois to Big 10?

Go Green
March 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/two-lawmakers-want-one-more-big-ten-school-165621151--ncaaf.html

Could happen, if these guys get their way.

clenz
March 24th, 2014, 05:50 PM
SIU-Edwardsville was the one mentioned

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 06:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/two-lawmakers-want-one-more-big-ten-school-165621151--ncaaf.html

According to the Chicago Sun-Times (http://politics.suntimes.com/article/springfield/illinois-needs-another-big-ten-school-lawmakers-say/sun-03232014-324pm), Illinois Senators Michael Connelly and Matt Murphy have introduced legislation “to study what it would take for Illinois to get one of its current public universities – like Illinois State University or Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville -- to become a Big Ten school.”
The two think tough admissions standards at the University of Illinois are causing many students to continue their educations out of state. Illinois and the private Northwestern are the only two Big Ten schools in the state, and Connelly thinks being a “Big Ten school” carries a lot of weight.
Has anyone heard more of this?

clenz
March 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Why SIU-Edwardsville? They've only been D1 since 2007 and don't have football

I've seen this posted multiple places...every single one has left out the fact it's SIU-E...

Not SIU-C

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Does not make sense at all. Should be SIU-Carbondale. Maybe they will merge both the SIU's for sports?

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Mods can you merge the thread? Seems like there is another one running.

clenz
March 24th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Does not make sense at all. Should be SIU-Carbondale. Maybe they will merge both the SIU's for sports?

So...close one school?

They are 2 hours apart... "merging" isn't going to happen.

Either you completely cut sports at one (one of which is a long standing D1 insitution and the other just spend nearly a decade and hundreds of thousands of dollars to move D1) or you promote a school that is eleventy billion years from a B10 school

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 06:19 PM
So...close one school?

They are 2 hours apart... "merging" isn't going to happen.

Either you completely cut sports at one (one of which is a long standing D1 insitution and the other just spend nearly a decade and hundreds of thousands of dollars to move D1).
Why wouldn't they try to promote NIU instead? SIU-E makes no sense at all.

Laker
March 24th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Why wouldn't they try to promote NIU instead? SIU-E makes no sense at all.

Before I opened the thread, I thought that it would be about NIU. After reading it, I had to look at the calendar to check if it was April 1. Then I looked to see if it was by the Onion. SIU- Edwardsville? No football- no chance.

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Before I opened the thread, I thought that it would be about NIU. After reading it, I had to look at the calendar to check if it was April 1. Then I looked to see if it was by the Onion. SIU- Edwardsville? No football- no chance.
Could it be just smart politics? Between the ISU and SIU-E the choice is clear. Sometimes we don't give politicians credit.

Laker
March 24th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Could it be just smart politics? Between the ISU and SIU-E the choice is clear. Sometimes we don't give politicians credit.

My Grandpa had a sign on his door. "Politicians and other liars not allowed on premises." These guys are looking for votes. Living in Big Ten country I've been looking at possible additions for the conference since they brought in Penn State. Another school in Illinois would not bring one more fan, one more TV set into the conference. I sure didn't want Rutgers, and Maryland is broke, but they are big schools. If the Big Ten expands again- and I'm not sure if they will unless everyone goes to 16- it will be two big schools.

The chances of this happening are the same as the title of a 1987 Robert Downey Jr. movie- "Less Than Zero".

Franks Tanks
March 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Could happen, if these guys get their way.

Sure, but a few state senators are irrelevant. If such tactics worked every school would get some dopey state senator to take up their pet project!

Catatonic
March 24th, 2014, 07:06 PM
My Grandpa had a sign on his door. "Politicians and other liars not allowed on premises." These guys are looking for votes. Living in Big Ten country I've been looking at possible additions for the conference since they brought in Penn State. Another school in Illinois would not bring one more fan, one more TV set into the conference. I sure didn't want Rutgers, and Maryland is broke, but they are big schools. If the Big Ten expands again- and I'm not sure if they will unless everyone goes to 16- it will be two big schools.

The chances of this happening are the same as the title of a 1987 Robert Downey Jr. movie- "Less Than Zero".

Here is what needs to happen for either of these schools to join the Big 10:

1. Receive an invite to join the AAU.
2. Move their university to another state not currently represented in the BIG. SIU at North Carolina has a nice ring to it. -

2 will be much easier to accomplish than 1. The hoitey toitey AAU isn't likely to invite a directional university to join.

chattownmocs
March 24th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Sounds ridiculous on all counts.

Yotes
March 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM
This doesn't deserve to get off the ground at all. The Big Ten is not looking to expand within their own footprint, they just added two very mediocre programs in Maryland and Rutgers just so that they could get the B10 Network on more televisions.

If anyone is going to join the Big Ten it's Virginia, Kansas, or one of the North Carolina schools (or NDSU, if their AD will grace them with their presence).

Lehigh Football Nation
March 24th, 2014, 09:18 PM
So let me get this straight - two GOP lawmakers are trying to push Illinois State into the Big 10 to:

1) make it 13 members
2) because it's too hard to get into Illinois and Northwestern
3) because Iowa is getting all the good students from Illinois
3) because there's so much cash available from Illinois taxpayers to spend to prop up Illinois State in order to diliute Illinois' selectivity

This is a grab bag of stupid. Expensive stupid.

IBleedYellow
March 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM
This doesn't deserve to get off the ground at all. The Big Ten is not looking to expand within their own footprint, they just added two very mediocre programs in Maryland and Rutgers just so that they could get the B10 Network on more televisions.

If anyone is going to join the Big Ten it's Virginia, Kansas, or one of the North Carolina schools (or NDSU, if their AD will grace them with their presence).

Da hell is that last part...?

Actually, screw it, yeah, the B1G would be blessed to have us in their conference. We'd raise the bar and U of M would hate us more.

/sarcasm

Yotes
March 24th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Da hell is that last part...?

Actually, screw it, yeah, the B1G would be blessed to have us in their conference. We'd raise the bar and U of M would hate us more.

/sarcasm
A nod to the over-the-top arrogant section of your fanbase that thinks the Big 10 or 12 would be a good home.

Bisonator
March 24th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Zero chance. Should have waited for April 1st.

centennial
March 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM

NDSU will never get into the Big Ten. There is a reason why they are Big Ten. We would need a few billion dollars of state money to go to 35-40k student university. ND will never give us that kind of money. Overall there might be advantages of becoming big but it isn't happening.

So let me get this straight - two GOP lawmakers are trying to push Illinois State into the Big 10 to:

1) make it 13 members
2) because it's too hard to get into Illinois and Northwestern
3) because Iowa is getting all the good students from Illinois
3) because there's so much cash available from Illinois taxpayers to spend to prop up Illinois State in order to diliute Illinois' selectivity

This is a grab bag of stupid. Expensive stupid.
Don't understand why not NIU. Illinois already has plenty of money problems. This is a vote grab at most.

Go Green
March 25th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Sure, but a few state senators are irrelevant. If such tactics worked every school would get some dopey state senator to take up their pet project!

I agree that it's unlikely. But state legislators throwing tantrums worked to get Virginia Tech in the ACC.

lod00
March 25th, 2014, 07:54 AM

I've seen this posted multiple places...every single one has left out the fact it's SIU-E...

Not SIU-C

First off let me say that this is a terrible idea. With all the financial problems the state is facing we have lawmakers pushing for this?
But I believe the most likely reason SIUE and Illinois St. where mentioned because they are better media markets. SIUE taps into the St. Louis market and Bloomington-Normal is a bigger market than Carbondale. Having said that, both markets are already saturated with Big10 fans. Maybe a minimal gain in St. Louis if SIUE could make the massive transition to Big10 athletics.

Catatonic
March 25th, 2014, 08:58 AM
I make it a point to never say never about most things in politics and sports. I will make an exception in this case--Neither Illinois State nor SIU (Edwardsville or Carbondale) will be invited to join the Big 10 in the lifetime of any one who posts here.

walliver
March 25th, 2014, 01:34 PM
IF this works ... 49 other states will demand their second tier schools be admitted to the Big60.

citdog
March 26th, 2014, 01:30 AM
IF this works ... 49 other states will demand their second tier schools be admitted to the Big60.

48 States. South Carolina will do something completely different in keeping with our "Sovereign and Independent Character".

xnodx

Bisonoline
March 27th, 2014, 06:06 PM
How in good rational thinking could they think those 3 schools belong in the Big Ten? (facepalm not big enough)

ST_Lawson
March 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM
How in good rational thinking could they think those 3 schools belong in the Big Ten? (facepalm not big enough)

See, now you're trying to bring rational thinking into this. That's your problem.

smilo
March 28th, 2014, 05:33 PM
If admissions standards are too high, let's add mediocre schools because the Big Ten name carries weight...
And then the Big Ten name loses all weight that is carries because it allows schools that don't have rigorous standards to join. Completely logical

Edwardsville? For real?
Hey, we can add UVA and UNC (or Kansas/GA Tech...) or SIU-Edwardsville and Illinois State - what do y'all think? Remember, the buffoons leading the state of Illinois want us to add their schools.

Laker
March 28th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Remember, the buffoons leading the state of Illinois want us to add their schools.

Remember, this is a state that has a convicted former governor Rod Blagojevich (who appears to wear a cat on his head) and has a long list of dead people who vote in elections. Buffoon might be too kind of a word.

Yotes
March 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Remember, this is a state that has a convicted former governor Rod Blagojevich (who appears to wear a cat on his head) and has a long list of dead people who vote in elections. Buffoon might be too kind of a word.
It's impressive how they manage to take corruption to a whole new level.

DFW HOYA
March 31st, 2014, 08:41 AM

On a more serious tone, four of the last seven governors of Illinois have served time in federal prison.

Laker
March 31st, 2014, 10:12 AM
On a more serious tone, four of the last seven governors of Illinois have served time in federal prison.

http://www.facepalm.su/wp-content/gallery/double-facepalm-2/ultimate_facepalm.jpg

buffalobill
March 31st, 2014, 11:30 AM
There are three types of lying politicians those that are about to speak, those that are speaking, and those that have just completed speaking.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 1st, 2014, 02:16 AM
I noticed one of those pointless dem/republican debates broke on the FCS Discussion board. Those posts are in their proper place now in the junk thread. Feel free to carry on there boys but don't do it on the FCS board going forward. Please feel free to start a thread over on the proper board and have at it all you'd like though.xthumbsupx

Only the partisan bickering was moved as the other stuff is somewhat relevant in this particular thread...well not really but also not partisan bs to start a poli fire here.

Twentysix
April 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Ahah! It was an elaborate April Fools joke.

JayJ79
April 1st, 2014, 01:04 PM
Ahah! It was an elaborate April Fools joke.

an apt description of our political system

Houndawg
April 3rd, 2014, 09:01 AM

I think Illinois is missing a nice tourism opportunity here. They should have a special "governor's Table in the joint for playing poker. Tourists would pay lots of money to put on prison clothing and play poker in prison with the governors.

AshevilleApp2
April 5th, 2014, 06:17 AM

Or a 1977 song by Elvis Costello.;)

Laker
April 5th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Or a 1977 song by Elvis Costello.;)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608012514166047226&pid=15.1&H=159&W=160

Catatonic
April 5th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I noticed one of those pointless dem/republican debates broke on the FCS Discussion board. Those posts are in their proper place now in the junk thread. Feel free to carry on there boys but don't do it on the FCS board going forward. Please feel free to start a thread over on the proper board and have at it all you'd like though.xthumbsupx

Only the partisan bickering was moved as the other stuff is somewhat relevant in this particular thread...well not really but also not partisan bs to start a poli fire here.

That leaves this board free for pointless debates over whether Illinois State or SIU Edwardsville will be the first to join the Big 10. Or for other schools to engage in pissing contests about how they were invited but turned down the option of joining the Sun Belt. xlolx

must be off season. How many days till the first game?

citdog
April 6th, 2014, 09:48 AM
It's amusing to me that no one wants to join the raging tire fire, used to be a poster here by that name, that is the sun bletch. But the SoCon has had NO PROBLEMS replacing the mountain gayboys and the eaglets from pigs ass with BETTER SCHOOLS. Did the bletch commissioner have something on the head ned beatty raper in boone or the pres of pigs ass to BLACKMAIL them into joining?

centennial
April 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
It's amusing to me that no one wants to join the raging tire fire, used to be a poster here by that name, that is the sun bletch. But the SoCon has had NO PROBLEMS replacing the mountain gayboys and the eaglets from pigs ass with BETTER SCHOOLS. Did the bletch commissioner have something on the head ned beatty raper in boone or the pres of pigs ass to BLACKMAIL them into joining?
The hate is strong with this one.

Laker
April 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
The hate is strong with this one.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608006509804454724&pid=15.1&H=225&W=160