PDA

View Full Version : Lets Vote: Does USD belong in the Playoffs

Stang Fever
October 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
There are jsut way to many threads about USD and the playoffs. I for one dont believe with that schedule that they belong. But I want to take it to the people. lets find out. what people on here think about it.

PantherRob82
October 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Not looking good for USD so far. Good thing we're not the committee.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I would like to add a third option, becaue I think it depends on the records of other eligible at-large candidates. The A-10 an Gateway alone could field one side of the bracket this year the way things are going, so I think we need to wait until the end of the season to determine the quality of USD as a playoff team.

Tod
October 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I would like to add a third option, becaue I think it depends on the records of other eligible at-large candidates. The A-10 an Gateway alone could field one side of the bracket this year the way things are going, so I think we need to wait until the end of the season to determine the quality of USD as a playoff team.

Agreed.

SHSU lost tonight. Anybody after about the first 12 teams is up for debate at this time, IMHO. If filling the bottom half of the poll remains as difficult as it has been, and USD continues to decimate their opponents, then I say yes. Still too much football left to be played to make the call, though.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Agreed.

SHSU lost tonight. Anybody after about the first 12 teams is up for debate at this time, IMHO. If filling the bottom half of the poll remains as difficult as it has been, and USD continues to decimate their opponents, then I say yes. Still too much football left to be played to make the call, though.
Luckily for SHSU they still have a shot at an auto bid. With a now 3-3 record against division I opponents, I think they are holding onto their hopes of an at-large by a thread.

TexasTerror
October 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Luckily for SHSU they still have a shot at an auto bid. With a now 3-3 record against division I opponents, I think they are holding onto their hopes of an at-large by a thread.

They can get an at-large if they win out...

Which means they'd be SLC champions...:thumbsup:

SLC is a one bid conference...

Back to subject, San Diego is as deserving as an undefeated Chuck South and that's not deserving a single thing...:twocents:

Tod
October 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM

SLC will get their auto-bid, that's all. Big Sky may be a one bid conference. One from the OVC. One from the MEAC. One from the Patriot. Two from the SoCon. Three from the Gateway. Four from the A-10. Cal Poly. That leaves one opening. There's a chance that if USD keeps winning by 30+ points every game, they'll get in.

None of that is in stone, of course, but possible.

grizband
October 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
SLC will get their auto-bid, that's all. Big Sky may be a one bid conference. One from the OVC. One from the MEAC. One from the Patriot. Two from the SoCon. Three from the Gateway. Four from the A-10. Cal Poly. That leaves one opening. There's a chance that if USD keeps winning by 30+ points every game, they'll get in.

None of that is in stone, of course, but possible.
I think I agree with you Tod, although is MSU wins out, I think the Big Sky will be a two bid conference (if Montana's only loss the rest of the way is MSU).

Stang Fever
October 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
my thing is does the SLC still get an auto bid...the way they are playing this year. and does the MEAC keep it over the NEC conf. thats the only way i see them getting in. there is an outside chance. but i asked do they deserve it. not about if the stars align just right and all these teams keep loosing. does the schedule justify a pick if they win out

CCU97
October 20th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Being a Coastal Carolina fan you would think that I might side with USD....however, when Coastal went 10-1 and then 9-2 and didn't make the playoffs....a team with a weaker schedule can just hang it up!

mcveyrl
October 20th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I think they should get in if they win out (but I don't think they will get in). Obviously, one loss and they're out. They should at least have the opportunity to play for it. That's supposed to be the beauty of the playoffs, right?

89Hen
October 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM
That's supposed to be the beauty of the playoffs, right?
Not really.

89Hen
October 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM
MSU wins out, I think the Big Sky will be a two bid conference (if Montana's only loss the rest of the way is MSU).
You guys need to stop laying down so you get an extra bid. I thought you guys hate MSU. :p

TexasTerror
October 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM
my thing is does the SLC still get an auto bid...the way they are playing this year. and does the MEAC keep it over the NEC conf. thats the only way i see them getting in. there is an outside chance. but i asked do they deserve it. not about if the stars align just right and all these teams keep loosing. does the schedule justify a pick if they win out

Ummm...can't change things up this late in the game. Already in the rules who gets the auto-bid. You just going to pull it away?

Regardless of how SLC is playing, we have a much better playoff resume than the MEAC or OVC. Also, our schools had to play I-As left and right because of financial issues facing most of the league post-Rita and Katrina. That really hurt our league and the records do not accurately reflect the quality of teams...

RobsPics
October 20th, 2006, 10:08 AM
THE TOREROS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!

89Hen
October 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Who did we think they were?

Stang Fever
October 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Ummm...can't change things up this late in the game. Already in the rules who gets the auto-bid. You just going to pull it away?

Regardless of how SLC is playing, we have a much better playoff resume than the MEAC or OVC. Also, our schools had to play I-As left and right because of financial issues facing most of the league post-Rita and Katrina. That really hurt our league and the records do not accurately reflect the quality of teams...

it wasnt intended as smack. I thought that ever year the committe selects which conf. gets the auto bid. its not that the SLC cant get it. but its not a lock ever year. they are suppoes to select 8 conf. who get the eight auto bids

BigApp
October 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
THE TOREROS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

October 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Who did we think they were?Torero = bullfighter

DetroitFlyer
October 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Somewhere, in the very few USD threads open, I saw a question as to whether a top 25, undefeated, team has ever not made the playoffs. I know of at least one, Dayton. The year, 1996. Final ranking in TSN poll: 24. Record: 11-0. Below is a summary of Dayton's 1996 record. So yes, it can happen, and it has happened before!

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/pioneer/dayton/yearly_results.php?year=1995

( Easier to see on the website ). We were also rolling along in 1997 until that final game....

W 9/7/1996 52 Morehead St. (KY) 6 Dayton, OH
W 9/14/1996 49 Georgetown (KY) 6 Dayton, OH
W 9/21/1996 49 Wisconsin-Platteville 27 Dayton, OH
W 9/28/1996 24 Towson (MD) 17 Towson, MD
W 10/5/1996 42 Evansville (IN) 0 Evansville, IN
W 10/12/1996 31 Robert Morris (PA) 21 Dayton, OH
W 10/19/1996 30 Butler (IN) 10 Indianapolis, IN
W 10/26/1996 19 Drake (IA) 16 Dayton, OH
W 11/2/1996 37 Valparaiso (IN) 35 Valparaiso, IN
W 11/9/1996 38 Wofford (SC) 14 Dayton, OH
W 11/16/1996 40 San Diego (CA) 34
San Diego, CA

aggie6thman
October 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
San Diego Opponents records to date:
Azusa Pacific (DII) 1-6
Dixie State (DII) 1-5
Yale 4-1
Davidson 3-3
Butler 2-5
Valpo 2-5
Combined Record 11-20

Not so sure about this one. I don't think they should be in becuase they play a cream puff schedule.

GOTOREROS
October 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Azusa Pacific (DII) 1-6
Dixie State (DII) 1-5
Yale 4-1
Davidson 3-3
Butler 2-5
Valpo 2-5
Combined Record 11-20

DRAKE 6-1

Not so sure about this one. I don't think they should be in becuase they play a cream puff schedule.

Well you can make it combined 17-21 if you add Drake who we play this weekend.....not that it really helps but I think it's somewhat more accurate to add them.

GOTOREROS

OL FU
October 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Well you can make it combined 17-21 if you add Drake who we play this weekend.....not that it really helps but I think it's somewhat more accurate to add them.

GOTOREROS

Can't count them til you beat them:smiley_wi

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Drake hasn't exactly played anyone either, so that 6-1 is really deceiving

Thu, Aug 31 Northern Iowa L 7-48
Sat, Sep 9 Upper Iowa W 40-7
Sat, Sep 16 Wisconsin-Platteville W 35-7
Sat, Sep 23 at Valparaiso W 21-7
Sat, Sep 30 Morehead State W 33-7
Sat, Oct 7 Waldorf W 35-3
Sat, Oct 14 at Butler W 29-0

Other than the UNI game, which they got waxed, this schedule is just as bad as USD's

Coastal89
October 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Azusa Pacific (DII) 1-6
Dixie State (DII) 1-5
Yale 4-1
Davidson 3-3
Butler 2-5
Valpo 2-5
Combined Record 11-20

Don't skip anymore math classes.:) Those numbers add up to 13-25 for a combined record.
Drakes opponents have a 17-29 combined record so they're pretty even on SOS.

AggieFinn
October 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Don't skip anymore math classes.:) Those numbers add up to 13-25 for a combined record.
Drakes opponents have a 17-29 combined record so they're pretty even on SOS.

I apologize for my Aggie friend. Since I'm an engineer, I will do the math from now on. I agree that 13-25 is correct. 6thman...just picking you up bro! It's all good. :cool:

http://www.ianrowland.com/Images/Photos/Travels/WayOutWeSF/GGBrdigeStrauss.JPG

aggie6thman
October 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
That is what happens when you havent taken a math class in almost 4 years. I am a poli sci major...OOPS. Still 13-25, 11-20 all about the same percentage wise!

Look at what Drake has done against fully funded I-AA, a 41 (check my math) point drubbing at the hand of UNI.

USD doesn't play anyone else that has a shot at the playoffs, why should they?

aggie6thman
October 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I apologize for my Aggie friend. Since I'm an engineer, I will do the math from now on. I agree that 13-25 is correct. 6thman...just picking you up bro! It's all good. :cool:

http://www.ianrowland.com/Images/Photos/Travels/WayOutWeSF/GGBrdigeStrauss.JPG

See, we hire people like you as consultants, so you can give us the numbers and we can make the decisions! :hurray: :nod: :rotateh:

AggieFinn
October 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
That is what happens when you havent taken a math class in almost 4 years. I am a poli sci major

Is this why politicians have trouble balancing budgets? :cool:

AggieFinn
October 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
See, we hire people like you as consultants, so you can give us the numbers and we can make the decisions! :hurray: :nod: :rotateh:

I think I can make my own decision when it comes to USD and the playoffs. Don't need complicated numbers for that one. :cool:

http://www.girlawhirl.com/girlawhirl/artman/uploads/cream_puff_2.jpg just add Torrero football as the other team.

GOTOREROS
October 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
:D
That is what happens when you havent taken a math class in almost 4 years. I am a poli sci major...OOPS. Still 13-25, 11-20 all about the same percentage wise!

Look at what Drake has done against fully funded I-AA, a 41 (check my math) point drubbing at the hand of UNI.

USD doesn't play anyone else that has a shot at the playoffs, why should they?

Don't worry I didn't catch your bad math either! I was an accounting major so I have no excuse! xlolx

GOTOREROS

UMTbuds
October 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Let them in. Bring them to Missoula in the 1st round.

GOTOREROS
October 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM

I would love it! You would kick our ass but it would be a great time - I have been to your stadium and its awesome. The ambience alone would be worth the ass kicking...

GOTOREROS

grizfan86
October 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
If the comittee thinks USD should be in the playoffs, than I guess they should be. Personally, I would never vote for them. It would be a shame for teams who have played in real conferences to lose the spot to them. Just here in the Big Sky, Portland State at 7-4 would be more deserving, and even the Kitty's will have played a real conference schedule and had the nards to play Colorado, and they won it! UNI played a real conference schedule and will be on the bubble. One of these teams should get the bid instead, but we all know (especially YSU last year) that the comittee knows best.

MiamiTorero
October 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Of course USD is gonna lose this vote... if I was a scholarship school I wouldnt wanna be upset by them either.. HAHA

Stang Fever
October 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
If this poll is anything like what the committe thinks then USD can count themselves out of the playoffs

Stang Fever
October 20th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Drake hasn't exactly played anyone either, so that 6-1 is really deceiving

Thu, Aug 31 Northern Iowa L 7-48
Sat, Sep 9 Upper Iowa W 40-7
Sat, Sep 16 Wisconsin-Platteville W 35-7
Sat, Sep 23 at Valparaiso W 21-7
Sat, Sep 30 Morehead State W 33-7
Sat, Oct 7 Waldorf W 35-3
Sat, Oct 14 at Butler W 29-0

Other than the UNI game, which they got waxed, this schedule is just as bad as USD's

if this doesnt show the big difference then what elese will. I hope the samething happens when USD plays Davis. and then USD will finally smell the roses

Tod
October 20th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Azusa Pacific (DII) 1-6
Dixie State (DII) 1-5
Yale 4-1
Davidson 3-3
Butler 2-5
Valpo 2-5
Combined Record 11-20

Just my :twocents: , but IMHO you have to subtract the losses these teams have to USD in order to gauge what they've done against OTHER oppontents. So, 13-19. Still not so good, but a more accurate description of the talent level.

Also, I find it rather funny that Yale is 4-1 with their lone loss a spanking by USD at home. I do wish USD had a tougher schedule, but I'd let them in with an 11-0 record, if they continue to dismember their opponents and depending on what happens during the remainder of the season.

Stang Fever
November 1st, 2006, 11:26 PM
USD in the playoffs = no

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
USD in the playoffs = no

Yep - if AGS is an indicator then you are correct.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM
LOL, look how the poll was set up...
"the schedule doesn't warrent a selection" of course most people would vote no...

AZGrizFan
November 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
All we've proven here is there are 32 USD posters on this board.....

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Hmmm 81% don't think USD should be in the playoffs on AGS, but yet they are a playoff caliber ranked team on AGS. Good stuff...

Stang Fever
November 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM
"the schedule doesn't warrent a selection" of course most people would vote no...

well the yes button lets them say yes. if they fill they should be in the playoffs. and because anyone can win on AGS

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 07:43 AM
:confused: The two selections seem to be worded equally leading IMO. Let them play is a pretty good rallying call for USD. It's not like it says, "Yes, they are one of the premier teams in I-AA". xcoffeex

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
All we've proven here is there are 32 USD posters on this board.....
It is an interesting collection. Montana fans that want them to come to Missoula actually outnumber the USD fans...

Montana folks
CatFan22 (throw in the MSU fan)
El Griz
grizbeer
GRIZNATION
nick9c
RockyMtnGriz
Tod
UMTbuds

USD fans
gobucknell06 (don't let the name fool you, this is a USD fan in disguise)
GOTOREROS
Torero Tradition
ToreroTime
MiamiTorero
usdtoreros

PFL fans
DetroitFlyer
Guard Dawg (I have my theories on who this is)
DUPFLFan

Auto bid fans
ASU Kep
GGASU
biobengal
Blue Hen Nation
Jaxhen
mcveyrl
rcny46
UNHWILDCATS05

Misc fans (interesting to note that these are all fans of teams who don't/can't participate in the playoffs or are unknown to me)
89rabbit (SDSU)
bincitysioux (UND I assume?)
bulldog10jw (Yale)
SU Jag (Southern)
Slackjaw
slycat
spelunker64
Steven Bryant
TaTownBacker

Bisonforlife
November 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
It is an interesting collection. Montana fans that want them to come to Missoula actually outnumber the USD fans...

Montana folks
El Griz
grizbeer
GRIZNATION
nick9c
RockyMtnGriz
Tod
UMTbuds

USD fans
GOTOREROS
Torero Tradition
ToreroTime
MiamiTorero
usdtoreros

PFL fans
DetroitFlyer
DUPFLFan

Auto bid fans
ASU Kep
GGASU
biobengal
Blue Hen Nation
Jaxhen
mcveyrl
rcny46
UNHWILDCATS05

Misc fans (interesting to note that these are all fans of teams who don't/can't participate in the playoffs or are unknown to me)
89rabbit (SDSU)
bulldog10jw (Yale)
SU Jag (Southern)
Slackjaw
slycat
spelunker64
Steven Bryant
TaTownBacker

There are still more of us none eligible teams in the "They don't belong camp due to their schedule however":D

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
of course San Diego belongs in the playoffs...

GGASU
November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM

Montana folks
El Griz
grizbeer
GRIZNATION
nick9c
RockyMtnGriz
Tod
UMTbuds

USD fans
GOTOREROS
Torero Tradition
ToreroTime
MiamiTorero
usdtoreros

PFL fans
DetroitFlyer
DUPFLFan

Auto bid fans
ASU Kep
GGASU
biobengal
Blue Hen Nation
Jaxhen
mcveyrl
rcny46
UNHWILDCATS05

89rabbit (SDSU)
bulldog10jw (Yale)
SU Jag (Southern)
Slackjaw
slycat
spelunker64
Steven Bryant
TaTownBacker

Hen...How can you tell who voted yes?

JDC325
November 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM

Second that motion.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Second that motion.

that only deprives another school, and its coaches and players, of a spot in the playoffs.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

Click on the number indicating the number of votes.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM

Edit: NM... already answered

HiHiYikas
November 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Yes (Let them play, who knows who can win on AGS)

This is not the right question to ask. Playoffs are not about who can win on a given Saturday. If that's the case, Wofford or Elon should be in there this year, and about 2 dozen teams like them. If playoffs were about the fact that "anybody could win on a given saturday," the field would need to be huge.

Making the playoffs is about fullfilling a set of minimum requirements set out by the folks that hold the playoffs. These requirements are in place to ensure that playoff bids aren't just given to winning teams, but teams successful enough to warrant selection. Do that, and you're in. Don't do it, and you can beat everybody you play by 100 points, and it doesn't matter.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
This is not the right question to ask. Playoffs are not about who can win on a given Saturday. If that's the case, Wofford or Elon should be in there this year, and about 2 dozen teams like them. If playoffs were about the fact that "anybody could win on a given saturday," the field would need to be huge.

Making the playoffs is about fullfilling a set of minimum requirements set out by the folks that hold the playoffs. These requirements are in place to ensure that playoff bids aren't just given to winning teams, but teams successful enough to warrant selection. Do that, and you're in. Don't do it, and you can beat everybody you play by 100 points, and it doesn't matter.

agreed, its not about what you COULD prove, its about what you HAVE proven

usdtoreros
November 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
agreed, its not about what you COULD prove, its about what you HAVE proven

And what are the polls set out to show?

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
BTW, I am STILL waiting for a USD fan to post any OOC opponents for the upcoming years. They either don't exist or they are again weak and they're afraid they will effect everyone's opinion of them ever upgrading. Maybe I'm completely wrong and they do have some good OOC games coming up. Please prove me wrong Torero fans.

usdtoreros
November 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
BTW, I am STILL waiting for a USD fan to post any OOC opponents for the upcoming years. They either don't exist or they are again weak and they're afraid they will effect everyone's opinion of them ever upgrading. Maybe I'm completely wrong and they do have some good OOC games coming up. Please prove me wrong Torero fans.

They haven't released their schedule yet, but I haven't heard about any "big" games being scheduled. I am sure Azusa will be on the schedule again since it has been an ongoing series for years.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
They haven't released their schedule yet, but I haven't heard about any "big" games being scheduled. I am sure Azusa will be on the schedule again since it has been an ongoing series for years.
Don't need the full schedule to know who is upcoming. I can tell you all of UD's opponents for the next four years and even some beyond. Many claims were made that the schedule is weak this year because games are contracted years in advance and the USD AD would have no way of knowing that the Toreros were going to be this good so therefore they couldn't have scheduled better teams. Then it came out that USD turned down Cal Poly for a game this year. I just want to see who these teams are that USD can't forego for a better schedule. Contracts were obviously made to be changed or broken, just ask UC Davis or the NEC.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
And what are the polls set out to show?

the people voting in the polls and the members of the selection committee are two very different groups, looking for different sets of criteria. it doesn't matter what the polls say.

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
You guys need to stop laying down so you get an extra bid. I thought you guys hate MSU. :p

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
GPI?

OrneryAggie
November 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM

Per an article in the Davis Enterprise USD refused UC Davis's offer for a 4 year home and home contract and also refused overtures from Cal Poly for future games.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I applaud Matt Daugherty of the sports network for ranking San Diego #32 on the list of at-large playoff consideration... behind Monmouth... amen!! :nod:

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
the people voting in the polls and the members of the selection committee are two very different groups, looking for different sets of criteria. it doesn't matter what the polls say.

Exactly.... the polls and GPI all agreed that YSU belonged in teh playoffs last year...

But guess what, YSU did not match the playoff criteria!

San Diego does not match the playoff criteria.. hence, no playoffs...

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Per an article in the Davis Enterprise USD refused UC Davis's offer for a 4 year home and home contract and also refused overtures from Cal Poly for future games.
A dozen new threads a day, 40 new USD posters on the boards, and we can't get any info on scheduling. :cool:

GOTOREROS
November 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
A dozen new threads a day, 40 new USD posters on the boards, and we can't get any info on scheduling. :cool:

Well, I'm just a fan. I don't work in the athletic department....I hear some things but am not privy to the internal workings of our AD.....sorry.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well, I'm just a fan. I don't work in the athletic department....I hear some things but am not privy to the internal workings of our AD.....sorry.
AFAIK, we don't have anybody who posts here who works in their school's AD, yet most everyone here can tell you their upcoming opponents.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
San Diego does not match the playoff criteria.. hence, no playoffs...

what part of if SAN DIEGO WINS THIS WEEKEND THEY MEET THE PLAYOFF CRITERIA don't you understand?

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Let's just say that TSN is a charter member of the old guard! The fact that they have greatly contributed to proliferating the 100% made up "Mid-Major" non-sense has nothing to do with Matt's opinions....:rolleyes:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Listen to Matt D on I-AA waves and read his column... he is completey bias towards non-scholly teams. He should have attended the USD @ Yale game.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
what part of if SAN DIEGO WINS THIS WEEKEND THEY MEET THE PLAYOFF CRITERIA don't you understand?

the part where, except for one team, their seven Division I wins are over teams that are nominally Division I. I really hope Yale loses to Harvard and Princeton so we don't have to listen to this, which is unfortunate, since everybody at Lafayette likes Jack Siedlecki.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Listen to Matt D on I-AA waves and read his column... he is completey bias towards non-scholly teams. He should have attended the USD @ Yale game.

and yet, The Sports Network puts out the Mid-Major poll, which recognizes teams that wouldn't be recognized without it . . and a poll that your website lists for your ranking every single week.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Let's just say that TSN is a charter member of the old guard! The fact that they have greatly contributed to proliferating the 100% made up "Mid-Major" non-sense has nothing to do with Matt's opinions....:rolleyes:

Without the Mid-Major poll, most of those schools would get even less football recognition.

After the USD 15 minutes of fame are over, DetroitFlyer would prefer that those schools go back to the shadows?

mainejeff
November 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
It's impossible to say right now. After the regular season is over, you would need to compare their record and SOS vs. other playoff contenders records and SOS. If they end up 11-0 then they deserve serious consideration vs. 8-3 at-large teams.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
If they end up 11-0...
You mean 8-0. They would have only played 10 games, two of which the committee would throw out (Azusa and Dixie State).

GOTOREROS
November 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
This website sucks........I can't even stuff the ballot box...:D

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Personally, I refuse to post anything about the 100% made up "Mid-Major" nonsense on the UDPRIDE message board. When I talk about Dayton's I-AA ranking, I use the GPI, Sagarin, etc. If we are ranked in the top 25, ( which we have been in the past ), I will post that as well. I have said it 1000 times before and I'll say it again, there is no "Mid-Major" there is only I-AA!!!!! As for the PFL schools and website helping to proliferate this nonsense, I am 100% against that as well! USD's current rankings and Dayton's past rankings CLEARLY demonstrate that PFL teams can gain the appropriate recognition in I-AA without this "Mid-Major" nonsense!!!!! I truly hope that USD's success and playoff bid this year are the catalyst for change in the PFL. Hopefully, we hire a real commish and work to be recognized as what we are, a I-AA football conference!

UMass922
November 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
You mean 8-0. They would have only played 10 games, two of which the committee would throw out (Azusa and Dixie State).

Exactly. San Diego would be an eight-win team, and when the committee stacks up those eight wins against the eight wins of other at-large contenders, the decision will be very easy: San Diego will not make the playoffs.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
89rabbit, ASU Kep, bincitysioux, biobengal, Blue Hen Nation, bulldog10jw, CatFan22, daywoo7, DetroitFlyer, downbythebeach, Dukie95, DUPFLFan, El Griz, GGASU, glenndownen, gobucknell06, GOTOREROS, grizbeer, GRIZNATION, Guard Dawg, Jaxhen, JMU99, mcveyrl, mebisonII, MiamiTorero, nick9c, No_Skill, rcny46, RockyMtnGriz, Slackjaw, slycat, spelunker64, Steven Bryant, SU Jag, TaTownBacker, Tod, Torero Tradition, ToreroTime, UMTbuds, UNHWILDCATS05, usdtoreros, YOsef

All the people who've voted for USD to be in the playoffs: You've been exposed...do you REALLY need a patsie in the first round THAT bad??? :D :D :D :D xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HiHiYikas
November 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Exactly. San Diego would be an eight-win team, and when the committee stacks up those eight wins against the eight wins of other at-large contenders, the decision will be very easy: San Diego will not make the playoffs.
And with that, nothing else needs to be said.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
Personally, I refuse to post anything about the 100% made up "Mid-Major" nonsense on the UDPRIDE message board. When I talk about Dayton's I-AA ranking, I use the GPI, Sagarin, etc. If we are ranked in the top 25, ( which we have been in the past ), I will post that as well. I have said it 1000 times before and I'll say it again, there is no "Mid-Major" there is only I-AA!!!!! As for the PFL schools and website helping to proliferate this nonsense, I am 100% against that as well! USD's current rankings and Dayton's past rankings CLEARLY demonstrate that PFL teams can gain the appropriate recognition in I-AA without this "Mid-Major" nonsense!!!!! I truly hope that USD's success and playoff bid this year are the catalyst for change in the PFL. Hopefully, we hire a real commish and work to be recognized as what we are, a I-AA football conference!

Poof! You have one of your wishes. The PFL is recognized as a I-AA football conference.

However, some teams have a different philosophy about funding football than the majority of the I-AA conferences. A few PFL teams (and NEC teams) have garnered some national attention. Congrats. But for the most part, most of those teams will not get national recognition.

So, why bash the Mid-Major poll? It allows for a comparison between schools with similar philosophies. Some people say there should not be a separate HBCU poll, but that poll means something to those teams and their fans. Same with the Mid-Major.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IS A JOKE... DUUUURF! xidiotx

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
The first word in "HBCU" is the key. There is a ton of history and a very unique character to the HBCU's. HBCU's really are unique in the world of college football. Not many teams enjoy the fan following of HBCU's. One HBCU classic game will draw more fans than Dayton will draw all season, ( maybe even two seasons)! The PFL, MAAC and NEC are not all that unique or even similar. The NEC is now a scholarship league, the MAAC is a disaster, and the PFL is still trying to find its footing in the world of I-AA. All the "Mid-Major" nonsense just makes it that much more difficult for the PFL to be recognized and appreciated as a I-AA conference. The Ivy League certainly does not subscribe to the "Mid-Major" nonsense.... If the PFL is going to thrive, not just survive, we must work to be I-AA football conference, scholarships or not.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Very well said

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
All the "Mid-Major" nonsense just makes it that much more difficult for the PFL to be recognized and appreciated as a I-AA conference. The Ivy League certainly does not subscribe to the "Mid-Major" nonsense.... If the PFL is going to thrive, not just survive, we must work to be I-AA football conference, scholarships or not.
If you want to be recognized and appreciated as a I-AA conference, there is an easy solution and it has nothing to do with a "MM" poll. Schedule and beat other I-AA programs from the autobid conferences (or at least hang with them).

Dayton - Robert Morris, Austin Peay and Whittenburg
Drake - UNI (big loss), Upper Iowa, Wisc-Platteville, Waldorf
San Diego - Yale, Azusa Pacific, Dixie State
Butler - Robert Morris, Missouri-Rolla, Albion, Hanover
Valpo - St. Joseph's, Wisconsin Lutheran, Trinity Intl, Aurora
Jacksonville - Southeastern LA (big loss), Gardner-Webb, North Greenville
Morehead - WIU (big loss), Austin Peay, Missouri-Rolla
Davidson - VMI, Wingate, Lenior-Rhyne

The NEC gets it, why can't you? xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have certainly expressed my scheduling desires to our AD. The hot rumor is that Dayton will have a home and home with a Patroit League team beginning next season! Granted, it is not YSU as I recommended, but it might be a start.... Also, pleaase note that the MAAC teams have been playing PL teams and enjoying some success!

Guard Dawg
November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Maybe the exception should be that the winner of the PFL gets an autobid to the playoffs...

THE DIVISION III playoffs

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
I have certainly expressed my scheduling desires to our AD. The hot rumor is that Dayton will have a home and home with a Patroit League team beginning next season! Granted, it is not YSU as I recommended, but it might be a start.... Also, pleaase note that the MAAC teams have been playing PL teams and enjoying some success!

Yeah, the MAAC has a 1-3 record against the PL, which has been roundly criticized and is admittedly down, this year. That's some success . . counting a 20-17 win by Duquesne, which just Saturday had a 39-game conference win streak broken, over lowly Fordham as its only victory. Marist gets its third shot at a PL team on Saturday at Georgetown. :confused:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Lehigh could easily get into the playoffs and they lost to Yale...
San Diego crushed Yale...

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM

are you just rambling incoherently again or would you like to press the "QUOTE" button and let us in on what you're referring to. :rolleyes:

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
:rotateh: Delaware won the NC in 2003 in dominating fashion but lost to Northestern that year, a team that lost to three teams that didn't make the playoffs... should I alert those other teams that they got ripped off? :rolleyes:

BlueHen86
November 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
I voted yes, but to me it depends heavily on Yale. If Yale finishes 9 - 1 then I think San Diego should be in if they finish 10 - 0.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Go Yale go Toreros! :)

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
I voted yes, but to me it depends heavily on Yale. If Yale finishes 9 - 1 then I think San Diego should be in if they finish 10 - 0.

if Yale beats Princeton and Harvard, that doesn't mean they were that good in early September . . do you really want to put a team in the playoff field because of a result like that, when they haven't proven they're able to beat another team of that caliber?

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
Man, you will always twist and turn it to make it sound like USD isn't good.... go have another Twisted Tea (on me)

BlueHen86
November 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Assuming Yale at 9 - 1 and San Diego at 10 - 0, yes I would put San Diego in the playoffs. The beat everybody on their schedule and handed a 9 - 1 team their only loss.
I wouldn't take them over 9 - 2 A-10, Socon, Gateway, Big Sky or Patriot teams, but I don't think that will be an issue this year.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Man, you will always twist and turn it to make it sound like USD isn't good.... go have another Twisted Tea (on me)

I have never said USD isn't good . . you can check my post history. But beating a (potential) 9-1 Yale team is not a playoff resume when your other nine games are against an NAIA, a DII and seven PFL teams. That's eight DI wins and only one that can be considered "quality". Schedule better next year.

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Assuming Yale at 9 - 1 and San Diego at 10 - 0, yes I would put San Diego in the playoffs. The beat everybody on their schedule and handed a 9 - 1 team their only loss.
I wouldn't take them over 9 - 2 A-10, Socon, Gateway, Big Sky or Patriot teams, but I don't think that will be an issue this year.

Nice, maybe Davis should take some insight from a long time D-IAA school and start scheduling pansies and only one good (not great) game to get into the playoffs.

I am glad you support this formula for success!!

BlueHen86
November 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Gee, sorry I voiced an opinion guys. Relax, I'm not on the commitee, it will be okay.
And who's this Davis guy? Is he 10 -0?

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Gee, sorry I voiced an opinion guys. Relax, I'm not on the commitee, it will be okay.
And who's this Davis guy? Is he 10 -0?

Does sarcasm upset you, or just the fact you can't defend your opinion?

Take your own advice and relax man, it's a discussion board, if you do not like to DISCUSS then don't bother posting.

BlueHen86
November 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
I don't need to defend my opinion, I've already articulated it. You don't have to agree.
As far as sarcasm upsetting me... you sure read alot into my post.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
I think Davis beats Delaware this year... but they will both have to watch USD in the playoffs :)

BigApp
November 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
:rolleyes:

AggiePride
November 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think Davis beats Delaware this year... but they will both have to watch USD in the playoffs :)

I think Davis beats USD this year :smiley_wi

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
But will they get to play each other?!?!?!?!?!?!?

USD could have between 3-6 games left depending :)
will be interesting to see

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
But will they get to play each other?!?!?!?!?!?!?

USD could have between 3-6 games left depending! :)
Will be interesting to see...

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't take them in over a 9-2 team from those conferences either