PDA

View Full Version : 2014 FCS Sleepers

superman7515
March 19th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Keeping the lead in short, every year there are a few surprise teams. Teams that finished in the back 1/2 of their conference that make exceptional turnarounds from one season to the next and end up in the playoffs. What team or teams that finished in the bottom 1/2 of their conference last season do you think could make an impact this season? Doesn't have to be a deep playoff run or anything like that, just a team that didn't do much last year that you think has got the best chance at turning it around this year and making a big push.

In the CAA, I'm going with James Madison. Even though they finished 9th in the CAA, they were still 6-6 overall with a 2 point loss to FBS Akron. Their new coach, Everett Withers, has a ton of experience as an assistant under coaches like Urban Meyer, Jeff Fisher, Mack Brown, and has FBS & NFL experience. If Mickey didn't leave the cupboard bare, Withers will get the most out of the players and they should be much improved.

In the MEAC, I'm going with North Carolina Central. This one is a lot less reasoned out by stats and is more of just going by what I saw from the Eagles last season and projecting them out another year. I don't think they're NC material, but they have some talent and I think they could push for a MEAC title this season.

clenz
March 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM
The MVFC is pretty damn top heavy so it's tough to be a "sleeper".

Fans of teams I'm about to give some credit too will **** themselves, likely, as this is probably the first "positive" things I've said about them in a while.

Missouri State - Yes, they finished top half last year but I think it was more of an aberration than anything else. If they can figure something...anything...out down there they might be average/borderline playoffs at some point in the next year or two. I have no idea what the bring back from last season.

Illinois State - they are the team that seems to have a lot of hype every year. Play out of their minds against UNI...and then fall flat on their face the rest of the season. I have no idea what they have for next year, as of now, but they could push for a playoff spot.

SIU - See Illinois State....their HCs job is on the line this year. May light a fire under their ass this season?

USD - Years a head of where I thought they would be...seriously, years...go look at what I was saying about them last year. I don't think they contend this year BUT give it two years or so and they are right there (That's a huge improvement from the almost never I said last season.)

tomq04
March 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Cal Poly in the big sky had the leading offense, but couldn't break .500 despite being 7-1 the previous year. I suspect they will be back and ready to give the shocker to anyone that underestimates them... I'm still picking EWU for another year though...

Mattymc727
March 20th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Maine was last years surprise from the CAA, maybe Albany this year?

danefan
March 20th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Maine was last years surprise from the CAA, maybe Albany this year?

I think we're two years away. 2015 is a year to be cautiously optimistic. This year we have a chance to go .500 but we're going to be heavily reliant upon Redshirt and true frosh and a couple key transfers/JUCOs.

Additionally, new coach, new systems on both O and D won't make this year easy.

darell1976
March 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Bubba could have UND as a sleeper. Its a long shot but hard work, a new offense (more emphisis on the run), and actually have a defense will have UND in the mix of things in the Big Sky. 6 home games, and an all DI OOC schedule of @San Jose St, Robert Morris, @ Missouri St, and Stony Brook could have UND 3-1 or even 4-0 if everything starts clicking. On the other hand, this team could still try to dust themselves off from the Muss era and it may take longer to get back on track. Excitement is in Grand Forks again, and I think the San Jose State game should be a good monitor where UND is at.

TheRevSFA
March 20th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I think SFA will be back this year. A new coach who has had success in the Southland conference already.

Bisonator
March 20th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I could see USD taking the next step this season. They won some close games and lost a couple too. Those games could go either way but USD is still pretty young. Maybe still a year or 2 away.

UNI was bottom half last season so they are my "sleeper" pic for this year. xlolx

clenz
March 20th, 2014, 08:48 AM
UNI was bottom half last season so they are my "sleeper" pic for this year. xlolx
Hadn't thought about that.

UNI is clearly the sleeper pick in the MVFC this year.

Bisonator
March 20th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hadn't thought about that.

UNI is clearly the sleeper pick in the MVFC this year.

At least until injuries decimate them again or......

they **** the bed in the playoffs again.xcoffeex

DFW HOYA
March 20th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Holy Cross is primed to take a big step forward.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I'll be interested to see how the Citadel does under their new coach. I think by any analysis they underperfomed last year with a team full of a lot of returning veterans that had really seemed to take the next step in 2012. If there's one team in the SoCon that could come out of nowhere and surprise the favorites, I think it's the Bulldogs.

Go Green
March 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Yale has brought in some terrific recruits the past two seasons. If they can get some decent quarterback play (a huge "if"), they will probably be the surprise team in the Ivy.

wapiti
March 20th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Yale has brought in some terrific recruits the past two seasons. If they can get some decent quarterback play (a huge "if"), they will probably be the surprise team in the Ivy.

Even if they do, they still will not be in the playoffs.

lionsrking2
March 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I'm going with Lamar and Northwestern State in the Southland. Both teams were much improved last year and I expect they'll be better in 2014. SFA should be much improved as well, though may take more than a year to completely turn them around.

Go Green
March 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Even if they do, they still will not be in the playoffs.

But they may knock off Army.

:)

Yotes
March 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
The MVFC is pretty damn top heavy so it's tough to be a "sleeper".

Fans of teams I'm about to give some credit too will **** themselves, likely, as this is probably the first "positive" things I've said about them in a while.

Missouri State - Yes, they finished top half last year but I think it was more of an aberration than anything else. If they can figure something...anything...out down there they might be average/borderline playoffs at some point in the next year or two. I have no idea what the bring back from last season.

Illinois State - they are the team that seems to have a lot of hype every year. Play out of their minds against UNI...and then fall flat on their face the rest of the season. I have no idea what they have for next year, as of now, but they could push for a playoff spot.

SIU - See Illinois State....their HCs job is on the line this year. May light a fire under their ass this season?

USD - Years a head of where I thought they would be...seriously, years...go look at what I was saying about them last year. I don't think they contend this year BUT give it two years or so and they are right there (That's a huge improvement from the almost never I said last season.)
That first season in the MVFC was Joe Glenn's first year at HC, and he absolutely cleaned house. Like 15 players were asked not to return, then basically the whole recruiting class redshirted, so we were beyond short-handed. Sacrificed that 2012 season to lay a foundation for the future, and it looks like it's going to be really paying off soon. If we aren't in the playoffs this year, we will be next year. Joe Glenn is the real deal.

clenz
March 20th, 2014, 02:23 PM
That first season in the MVFC was Joe Glenn's first year at HC, and he absolutely cleaned house. Like 15 players were asked not to return, then basically the whole recruiting class redshirted, so we were beyond short-handed. Sacrificed that 2012 season to lay a foundation for the future, and it looks like it's going to be really paying off soon. If we aren't in the playoffs this year, we will be next year. Joe Glenn is the real deal.
How long is he going to hang around though? He's 65 years old. Either he is going to JoePa it or he's nearing the end I'd think. He looks *good* for being 65 though

Nickels
March 20th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I'm going with Lamar and Northwestern State in the Southland. Both teams were much improved last year and I expect they'll be better in 2014. SFA should be much improved as well, though may take more than a year to completely turn them around.
Lamar will remain sub-mediocre as long as RayRay is running things. They haven't won a meaningful game since they came back. They've shown nothing so far. I don't see them improving.

caribbeanhen
March 20th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Richmond

McNeese75
March 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Lamar will remain sub-mediocre as long as RayRay is running things. They haven't won a meaningful game since they came back. They've shown nothing so far. I don't see them improving.

Lamar hung around on your team the whole game last year (and mine as well) so they are getting better. But I do agree with you, as long as they have their current coach, no worries xnodx

lionsrking2
March 21st, 2014, 01:03 AM

Lamar has only been back since 2010, so not winning a "meaningful game" is irrelevant at this point. Most start-up programs would just now be entering conference play, they're going on year four. That said, they were 5-7 last year with four tightly contested losses which could have easily gone the other way. They return a lot, including a very good young QB and RB, and should be much improved.

Tribe4SF
March 21st, 2014, 06:48 AM
Richmond

Second that. If Tribe finds a QB they'll also jump forward.

Mattymc727
March 21st, 2014, 07:14 AM
Richmond

I think its hard to call a team which won a NC within the last 5-6 years a sleeper. But I agree, many will not include Richmond in the top 25 to begin the season, but they very well could end up there. I guess in my mind Richmond is always a playoff contender along with a few other CAA teams.

Nickels
March 21st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Lamar has only been back since 2010, so not winning a "meaningful game" is irrelevant at this point. Most start-up programs would just now be entering conference play, they're going on year four. That said, they were 5-7 last year with four tightly contested losses which could have easily gone the other way. They return a lot, including a very good young QB and RB, and should be much improved.
They've shown very little improvement since they've come back. LOL 5 wins - Oklahoma Panhandle State, Bacone, Grambling, Nicholls & SFA. xlolx Don't confuse their cupcake scheduling with actual improvement.

4 games that could have gone either way? Any game could go either way.

Their O was absolutely pitiful against our ****ty D last year. They're mistake prone, poorly coached and bad play callers. Nothing will change as long as that cry baby lard ass is running the show.

Their AD will likely schedule them out of the playoffs again anyway. I don't see how they can be considered a sleeper if they dont/cant/wont make the playoffs

Nickels
March 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Lamar hung around on your team the whole game last year (and mine as well) so they are getting better. But I do agree with you, as long as they have their current coach, no worries xnodxSHSU was a .500 SLC team with a poor D, predictable & uncreative offense and lack of leadership. Clearly the Kats fell off from 2011-2012. Lamar's D was a little better but their O was even worse than previous years.

RayRay cracks me up. I would have ran him out of town when he started blaming fans for their losses.

btw - Will you guys PLEASE take that cancer known as Mike Collins back?

Sammy94
March 21st, 2014, 11:11 AM

No worries Nickels, the writing is on the wall with the Co DC title. If our AD wouldn't have promised the coaches that stayed a job, then I have no doubt he would be looking now. He will be elsewhere in 2015.

Franks Tanks
March 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Not sure Fordham is a sleeper, but I suppose any team out of the Patriot League is a bit of a sleeper on the national stage for now. The Rams should be even better next year, and should be in the NC conversation.

superman7515
March 21st, 2014, 02:54 PM
Come on guys, it's really not this hard, haha...

Missouri State
SIU

Didn't finish in the bottom 1/2.

Cal Poly in the big sky had the leading offense, but couldn't break .500 despite being 7-1 the previous year. I suspect they will be back and ready to give the shocker to anyone that underestimates them... I'm still picking EWU for another year though...

Neither team finished in the bottom 1/2.

Richmond

Second that. If Tribe finds a QB they'll also jump forward.

Richmond didn't finish in the bottom 1/2, I'll give you a pass on William & Mary since they were exactly in the middle, but the median wouldn't technically be in the bottom half, haha.

Not sure Fordham is a sleeper, but I suppose any team out of the Patriot League is a bit of a sleeper on the national stage for now. The Rams should be even better next year, and should be in the NC conversation.

clenz
March 21st, 2014, 02:58 PM
If you really think that Missouri State is a contender that wouldn't be a dark horse...I can't help you.

McNeese75
March 21st, 2014, 10:15 PM

Nein, ohee, ara, non, ne, (not NO) F&^K NO. You bought him, you dance with him. xnodx

caribbeanhen
March 22nd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Come on guys, it's really not this hard, haha...

Neither team finished in the bottom 1/2.

Richmond didn't finish in the bottom 1/2, I'll give you a pass on William & Mary since they were exactly in the middle, but the median wouldn't technically be in the bottom half, haha.

Sorry Supe, didn't come here to follow directions...

frozennorth
March 23rd, 2014, 03:09 AM
Bubba could have UND as a sleeper. Its a long shot but hard work, a new offense (more emphisis on the run), and actually have a defense will have UND in the mix of things in the Big Sky. 6 home games, and an all DI OOC schedule of @San Jose St, Robert Morris, @ Missouri St, and Stony Brook could have UND 3-1 or even 4-0 if everything starts clicking. On the other hand, this team could still try to dust themselves off from the Muss era and it may take longer to get back on track. Excitement is in Grand Forks again, and I think the San Jose State game should be a good monitor where UND is at.
und won't have the depth or athleticism to be a factor until 2015. A nuisance, sure, which is a big step up from being the patsy

Yotes
March 23rd, 2014, 05:27 PM
How long is he going to hang around though? He's 65 years old. Either he is going to JoePa it or he's nearing the end I'd think. He looks *good* for being 65 though
I'd guess he'll stick around for three more seasons, but hopefully the mark he leaves will be a lasting one. It's basically a guarantee that our OC, Wesley Beschorner, will be the next Head Coach whenever Glenn steps down, and he is being mentored by Joe with this in mind. I will say, I hope that I'm in as good as shape as he's in when I'm 65. He is nothing but energy.

McNeese72
March 23rd, 2014, 06:20 PM
Nein, ohee, ara, non, ne, (not NO) F&^K NO. You bought him, you dance with him. xnodx

Yeah, we will keep Lance as long as we can.

Doc

clenz
March 23rd, 2014, 06:29 PM
I'd guess he'll stick around for three more seasons, but hopefully the mark he leaves will be a lasting one. It's basically a guarantee that our OC, Wesley Beschorner, will be the next Head Coach whenever Glenn steps down, and he is being mentored by Joe with this in mind. I will say, I hope that I'm in as good as shape as he's in when I'm 65. He is nothing but energy.

Good on USD if a coach in waiting works....it pretty much never does.

It's a lot like a two QB system. 99.9% of the time it doesn't work.

If Joe sticks around until he's 69 (we'll say until the end of this recruiting cycle (without the redshirt) and has success do you really expect an OC that will likely have a decent name behind him to stick around and wait for something that isn't guarantee? He might.

Alverez to Bielema worked...and Bielema is a scuzz bag who quickly turned his back on Wisconsin.
Kelly took over Oregon...he's no longer there

Those are about the only two that didn't fail/have major issues.

The only other one I can think of is Bowden to Fisher...that was almost completely de-railed through and got really messy at the end.

After that there was Danny Hope taking over at Purdue...failed.
James Franklin was the HCIW at Maryland and bolted for a job before Maryland opened up...and has left that one now.
Will Muschamp was the LONG TIME HCIW at Texas..a job that is well worth waiting for...and he left before the job was his.

Notice the thing about all of those - they were all BCS/big time programs that have access to an almost unlimited supply of money and top top 200 recruits.

The examples at small schools of this concept working at non-existent really.

Here are some concerns I would have.

1. No one knows how long Joe is going to coach. He could go until he's 75. Is Beschorner going to wait another decade as an OC at USD? There almost has to be an exit date for the existing coach. If that date doesn't exist there is always that "Joe, how long are you going to be around yet..we need to give Wes and answer to keep him happy".

2. Having that date could create a lot of tension. What if that coach isn't ready to leave yet. What if the exit date is set for after the 2016-2017 season...what if Joe decides he wants to keep coaching? Do you tell him "Sorry, we agreed this was your last day as coach. You can keep coaching but go somewhere else". That would go over well.

3. Having that date creates a lame duck situation for recruiting. Yes, they know the coach in waiting but who are you committing too? The current coach or the CIW?

4. Not only that who is the actual head coach? Obviously Joe would have the title, but towards the end who is actually coaching that team? Who gets final say?

5. What if the date is set for after the 2016-2017 seasons but USD falls to 8th or worse in 14 and 15? You've got a HC going into this last season and two bad seasons. Do you can him early? That looks GREAT to potential recruits. What if there is no date set and USD falls back? What if the offense is terrible during that time frame? Is your OC still the guy?

It sounds great to say "Well, we know this guy will be the next guy when so and so retires." It's a whole different beast to dance with though.

phoenix3
March 24th, 2014, 07:25 AM
It'll be interesting to see what Elon does in the CAA. I'm not sure we have the depth or talent to rise to the top half of the CAA but with the new coaching staff & a few new wrinkles, Elon could make it interesting. Last year Elon gave away games to App, Wofford, Samford and WCU. These were certainly not upper half CAA teams, but with a third of Ball State's coaching staff at Elon now, I expect a much stronger effort from the team.

Spiderfan1980
March 24th, 2014, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=superman7515;2099796]Come on guys, it's really not this hard, haha...

Richmond finished 4 - 4 in confernce . William and Mary was 4 - 4 . Delaware was 4 - 4. There were three teams tied at 4 - 4 in conference with 4 teams above and 4 teams below. I would say they all finished in the middle of the pack.

Yotes
March 24th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Good on USD if a coach in waiting works....it pretty much never does.

It's a lot like a two QB system. 99.9% of the time it doesn't work.

If Joe sticks around until he's 69 (we'll say until the end of this recruiting cycle (without the redshirt) and has success do you really expect an OC that will likely have a decent name behind him to stick around and wait for something that isn't guarantee? He might.

Alverez to Bielema worked...and Bielema is a scuzz bag who quickly turned his back on Wisconsin.
Kelly took over Oregon...he's no longer there

Those are about the only two that didn't fail/have major issues.

The only other one I can think of is Bowden to Fisher...that was almost completely de-railed through and got really messy at the end.

After that there was Danny Hope taking over at Purdue...failed.
James Franklin was the HCIW at Maryland and bolted for a job before Maryland opened up...and has left that one now.
Will Muschamp was the LONG TIME HCIW at Texas..a job that is well worth waiting for...and he left before the job was his.

Notice the thing about all of those - they were all BCS/big time programs that have access to an almost unlimited supply of money and top top 200 recruits.

The examples at small schools of this concept working at non-existent really.

Here are some concerns I would have.

1. No one knows how long Joe is going to coach. He could go until he's 75. Is Beschorner going to wait another decade as an OC at USD? There almost has to be an exit date for the existing coach. If that date doesn't exist there is always that "Joe, how long are you going to be around yet..we need to give Wes and answer to keep him happy".

2. Having that date could create a lot of tension. What if that coach isn't ready to leave yet. What if the exit date is set for after the 2016-2017 season...what if Joe decides he wants to keep coaching? Do you tell him "Sorry, we agreed this was your last day as coach. You can keep coaching but go somewhere else". That would go over well.

3. Having that date creates a lame duck situation for recruiting. Yes, they know the coach in waiting but who are you committing too? The current coach or the CIW?

4. Not only that who is the actual head coach? Obviously Joe would have the title, but towards the end who is actually coaching that team? Who gets final say?

5. What if the date is set for after the 2016-2017 seasons but USD falls to 8th or worse in 14 and 15? You've got a HC going into this last season and two bad seasons. Do you can him early? That looks GREAT to potential recruits. What if there is no date set and USD falls back? What if the offense is terrible during that time frame? Is your OC still the guy?

It sounds great to say "Well, we know this guy will be the next guy when so and so retires." It's a whole different beast to dance with though.
I don't agree with having a head coach in waiting, not at all, but that's the situation we seem to be in. Joe's got massive influence in the AD, and he is absolutely in love with Wes Beschorner. Personally, I hope Wes just jumps ship and finds another job just so that we won't have to go through this. The man has never been anywhere else, transitioned from player to assistant and has seen two head coaches in his career, and probably would not be offered a HC job at any comparable program. You had asked how long Joe was going to stick around, and I can't see him sticking around too long because he wants to see Wes take over the program.

professor831
March 25th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Keeping the lead in short, every year there are a few surprise teams. Teams that finished in the back 1/2 of their conference that make exceptional turnarounds from one season to the next and end up in the playoffs. What team or teams that finished in the bottom 1/2 of their conference last season do you think could make an impact this season? Doesn't have to be a deep playoff run or anything like that, just a team that didn't do much last year that you think has got the best chance at turning it around this year and making a big push.

In the CAA, I'm going with James Madison. Even though they finished 9th in the CAA, they were still 6-6 overall with a 2 point loss to FBS Akron. Their new coach, Everett Withers, has a ton of experience as an assistant under coaches like Urban Meyer, Jeff Fisher, Mack Brown, and has FBS & NFL experience. If Mickey didn't leave the cupboard bare, Withers will get the most out of the players and they should be much improved.

In the MEAC, I'm going with North Carolina Central. This one is a lot less reasoned out by stats and is more of just going by what I saw from the Eagles last season and projecting them out another year. I don't think they're NC material, but they have some talent and I think they could push for a MEAC title this season.

i hate to disagree with one of the moderators, but NCCU will do what they always have done that is finish in the bottom half of the MEAC. the sleeper of the conference will be NC A&T. they 7-4 overall 2013 record with a win over AppState and Elon. did i mentioned they did it without a spring practice and full alottment of scholarship. this season the aggies will have all their scholarship and they just began spring practice. it could very well be a 3 way time for first place in the MEAC.

Tribal
March 25th, 2014, 08:53 PM
All but 4 CAA teams were .500 or better in conference play and only 3 were below .500 overall. Rhode Island is out. Elon has a murderous schedule. SBU could make a run. Albany has nowhere to go but up and they'll do just that.

UR could win the whole thing...but, I see SBU (a sub .500 team) making the biggest push to wake up because they seemingly have a more favorable schedule. Given the limitation of OP's rules, SBU is my sleeper.

SBU 2014
Bryant
UConn
American International (WTF?)
N. Dakota (not State)
W&M
Towson
Maine
Elon
UNH
JMU
Rhody
Albany

superman7515
March 25th, 2014, 10:06 PM
All but 4 CAA teams were .500 or better in conference play and only 3 were below .500 overall. Rhode Island is out. Elon has a murderous schedule. SBU could make a run. Albany has nowhere to go but up and they'll do just that.

UR could win the whole thing...but, I see SBU (a sub .500 team) making the biggest push to wake up because they seemingly have a more favorable schedule. Given the limitation of OP's rules, SBU is my sleeper.

SBU 2014
Bryant
UConn
American International (WTF?)
N. Dakota (not State)
W&M
Towson
Maine
Elon
UNH
JMU
Rhody
Albany

Never said they had to be below .500, just finished in the bottom 1/2 of their conference. For the CAA that would have been:

William & Mary
Delaware (Richmond had wins over W&M and UD so they would be just above W&M who takes the mid-point thanks to W&M's win over UD)
Stony Brook
James Madison
Rhode Island
Albany

superman7515
March 25th, 2014, 10:08 PM
i hate to disagree with one of the moderators, but NCCU will do what they always have done that is finish in the bottom half of the MEAC. the sleeper of the conference will be NC A&T. they 7-4 overall 2013 record with a win over AppState and Elon. did i mentioned they did it without a spring practice and full alottment of scholarship. this season the aggies will have all their scholarship and they just began spring practice. it could very well be a 3 way time for first place in the MEAC.

North Carolina A&T finished in the top 1/2 of their conference, so I couldn't pick them as they weren't eligible to be a "sleeper", otherwise I would agree with you that A&T has the most potential to reach the top.

Nickels
March 26th, 2014, 08:17 PM
No worries Nickels, the writing is on the wall with the Co DC title. If our AD wouldn't have promised the coaches that stayed a job, then I have no doubt he would be looking now. He will be elsewhere in 2015.

It's clear he wont be here next year. I just don't understand why you would keep a lame duck around.

clenz
March 26th, 2014, 10:36 PM
This whole "have to be bottom half"thing is ridiculous.

UNI, likely a top 10 pre-seasonon team, and likely favorite in the mvfc, returning 19 starters from a 7 win tan that was decimated with injuries can be a sleeper but Missouri State, who has a coach that 98 percent of the fans want fired (and had less than a 1 percent chance of having his contract renewed after it expires after this season) and hasn't made the playoffs in a consistent basis ever...And not in over two decades...And finished under 500 last year, just like they do every year...seriously only 8 seasons over 500 (nearly all 6-5) since 1990...only 1 playoff appearance in that time (1990)...And lost to UNI last year..likely 6th or 7th in preseason polls on conference...yet they somehow wouldn't be a sleeper.

How the holy **** does that make sense

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
March 27th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Yea, my vote, for the conference at least, is for UNI. They are easily a top 10 team if everyone is healthy.

I also think Western is going to take a big step forward this year. Not saying we'll contend for the conference championship this year, but I think that we haven't been in the conversation for a few years and we'll end up surprising some people.

Mattymc727
March 27th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Im not sure teams like Richmond and UNI can be considered sleepers. Sure, they didnt make the playoffs last year, but they are playoff contenders every single year....

If you look at the playoff bracket and see UNI or Richmond in there in any given year, are you at all surprised?

Regardless of record, i think the sleepers are the teams that rarely get in or have no business being there in any given year. Towson in 2011 is a great example (Now Towson is a sleeper no more).

UNIFanSince1983
March 28th, 2014, 03:46 PM
At least until injuries decimate them again or......

they **** the bed in the playoffs again.xcoffeex

If history is any indication one of these is bound to happen. :(

heath
March 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Valpo, they may finally win a couple...................Now thats a sleeper pickxnodx

citdog
March 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Valpo, they may finally win a couple...................Now thats a sleeper pickxnodx

Ceccini is a good offensive mind. He'll have Valpo ready to go on that side of the ball.

ngineer
March 29th, 2014, 10:15 PM

I fully agree with this. It will be very hard for Lehigh to plan for what JMU will bring with them to Goodman in the season opener. Dukes have always had great athletes, so if they get their act together under their new coaches they can certainly be a force.

ngineer
March 29th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Ceccini is a good offensive mind. He'll have Valpo ready to go on that side of the ball.

Yes, Valpo could surprise some people this year. Chick has always had very good offensive results. If he can get some athletes on the D side of things they should see some success.

bjtheflamesfan
March 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM
The team in the Big South Im curious about (that was in it last year) is Gardner-Webb. They were red hot at the start of the year and then lost 4 of their last 7 but they knocked off CSU and PC to end the year and bring a lot of good players back in 2014. They certainly could make a play for top half of the conference in 2014. They get CCU at home but they have to go to Liberty where they havent won since 2006 so that could keep them from the top of the mountain.

Twentysix
April 5th, 2014, 03:19 AM
NDSU, ultimate sleeper team. We will lull everyone into a false sense of security by having a new coach and graduating some of the starters... and then BAM we are in the title game again. xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
NDSU, ultimate sleeper team. We will lull everyone into a false sense of security by having a new coach and graduating some of the starters... and then BAM we are in the title game again. xrolleyesx

The Bison will be a playoff team in '14.

carney2
April 5th, 2014, 02:18 PM

A step forward, yes. The "big" step is reserved for 2015.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
A step forward, yes. The "big" step is reserved for 2015.

The top four are all moving up. I think the Purple needs to show some movement before 2015, however.

Bucknell? Don't see it yet.

Georgetown? I'm still trying to construct a scenario where an non-scholarship team recruiting under the Ivy Index is able to stay on the field in a few years. Worst case, it would be like Columbia playing in the CAA.

LeeshaJo
April 6th, 2014, 06:31 AM

omg it took 54 posts for someone to mention the bison!!!!!xeyebrowx is it a record? has to be close. xrolleyesxxsmiley_wix

UNHWildcat18
April 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Give CCSU some time and I feel like they have a real winner in rossomando, and will win the NEC in the next 3 years.

carney2
April 6th, 2014, 02:23 PM
The top four are all moving up. I think the Purple needs to show some movement before 2015, however.

Don't know how you define "some movement," but they will play 12 games again this year and I see them doubling 2013's win total of 3.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 6th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Don't know how you define "some movement," but they will play 12 games again this year and I see them doubling 2013's win total of 3.

HC was a BAD team last year imo. They were considerably more competitive in 2012.

I know they had some nice recruits this year. But, they need at least one more legit class to seriously compete, imo, with FU, LU and LC imo. There's a need for speed. Likewise with Colgate....

citdog
April 7th, 2014, 05:40 AM
HC was a BAD team last year imo. They were considerably more competitive in 2012.

I know they had some nice recruits this year. But, they need at least one more legit class to seriously compete, imo, with FU, LU and LC imo. There's a need for speed. Likewise with Colgate....

seriously compete to what? win 10 games and RIGHTFULLY get left out of the playoffs?

DFW HOYA
April 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM

If you see six wins from HC in 2014, a good start is essential. Four of its six non-conf. games are on the road:

at Albany (1-11)
Morgan State (5-7)
Central Connecticut (4-8)
at Harvard (9-1)
at Brown (6-4)
at Dartmouth (6-4)

PAllen
April 7th, 2014, 08:40 AM
If you see six wins from HC in 2014, a good start is essential. Four of its six non-conf. games are on the road:

at Albany (1-11)
Morgan State (5-7)
Central Connecticut (4-8)
at Harvard (9-1)
at Brown (6-4)
at Dartmouth (6-4)

And if HC is at all improved, all but Harvard are winnable out of those six. Pick up 4 of those six, and two in conference and there you go... "much improved" :)

MacThor
August 28th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Im not sure teams like Richmond and UNI can be considered sleepers. Sure, they didnt make the playoffs last year, but they are playoff contenders every single year....

If you look at the playoff bracket and see UNI or Richmond in there in any given year, are you at all surprised?

Regardless of record, i think the sleepers are the teams that rarely get in or have no business being there in any given year. Towson in 2011 is a great example (Now Towson is a sleeper no more).

Richmond hasn't been to the playoffs since 2009.

crusader11
August 28th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Last year's freshmen class was fantastic. I think the offensive will be very explosive, but the defense concerns me. That unit was simply terrible last year, which led to Andy Rondeau being fired. I hope the new coordinator (from Bucknell), is able to figure it out.

wapiti
August 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I pick UC Davis to be the Big Sky Sleeper.

SuUtah was last year's sleeper.

citdog
August 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Richmond hasn't been to the playoffs since 2009.

Got "Woffed" the year before last.......

BEAR
September 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread.

Some dead on predictions so far!

NDSU one was excellent. Lots of teams listed are making noise and pushing the favorites out.