PDA

View Full Version : Coaching changes at W&M

Tribe4SF
March 14th, 2014, 02:05 PM
After losing four coaches over the past month, the Tribe has apparently filled those positions, and promoted a couple from within. W&M lost TE coach Mike Godsil to private business, DC Scott Boone to Nevada, WR coach David Corley to UConn, and RB coach Chris Barclay to Marshall.

DL coach Trevor Andrews was promoted to DC and will take over the linebackers. Secondary coach Tom Clark has been named Special Teams Coordinator. Dartmouth DL coach Kevin Lewis will coach the same group at W&M, as will VMI WR coach Winston October and Georgetown RB coach DJ Mangas. Univ. of Texas grad-asst. Mario Acitelli will take over the TE job.

kdinva
March 14th, 2014, 02:17 PM
VMI will miss Coach October......the Keydet WR corps has been getting better (and with depth) the past 2-3 seasons......

bjtheflamesfan
March 14th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Godsil is a great guy. He probably goes down as one of our best offensive linemen in school history. Best wishes to him in his future endeavors.

Tribe4SF
March 14th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Godsil is a great guy. He probably goes down as one of our best offensive linemen in school history. Best wishes to him in his future endeavors.

Indeed a great guy. Was a very good coach as well. Young family that he is watching out for. We will miss him.

Tribal
March 18th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Shame we don't pay assistants better. We'll miss all four coaches.

kdinva
March 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Shame we don't pay assistants better..

+1 :(

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
As a UNH fan it doesn't break my heart to see your DC gone....

Seems like Nevada will be getting a heck of a coach

tribe_pride
March 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Shame we don't pay assistants better. We'll miss all four coaches.

True about missing them but 3 of those 4 went to similar positions at FBS schools who will basically always pay more than FCS schools do. The other went to private business (who knows with that one)

Tribal
March 19th, 2014, 02:29 PM
True about missing them but 3 of those 4 went to similar positions at FBS schools who will basically always pay more than FCS schools do. The other went to private business (who knows with that one)

Godsil has a family now. I'm sure the money we paid him made it tough to provide for his wife & kids. We paid our last baseball HC $60k...can you imagine what we paid for a TE coach?

tribe_pride
March 19th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Godsil has a family now. I'm sure the money we paid him made it tough to provide for his wife & kids. We paid our last baseball HC $60k...can you imagine what we paid for a TE coach?

As I said, Godsil was the exception of those 4. The other 3 coaches are more who I was focusing on in my comment where they went to "better" places to coach and not just financially better.

College coaching (especially if you are not going to be at a BCS school in a bigger sport) is not one to go into for the money unless you can rise up to the head coaching level in a lot of cases. I would like us to pay more to get the best and keep them around for a while but do you know for a fact that we are not competitive with most other programs? Places like Nova and Delaware most likely will have to pay more than us for cost of living reasons.

Tribal
March 19th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Because W&M is a public institution, we can easily access staff pay. The fact that we paid a HC of a significant sport a mere $60,000/yr leads me to believe our assistant football coaches don't make much more than that if they even get that much. Rogers is probably an exception. Boone, Corley, and Barclay will most-likely double their pay to coach the same position(s) at a lower level FBS program. Most guys want that stepping stone...look where our other Boone is today...Penn State...4 yrs later.

DFW HOYA
March 24th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Speaking of turnover, check this out, from the NAIA:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20140323/SPORTS19/140329730/1341/sports19

Mr. C
March 24th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Mario Acitelli is a bright, young coach who started for four years at Appalachian State during their championship run. I've heard good things about him as a coach, so this could potentially be a good hire for the Tribe. He was mentored by Stacy Searils, who has been the offensive line coach at places like Texas, Georgia, Cincinnati and Appalachian State after a college career at Auburn, blocking for Bo Jackson, and a brief foray in the NFL.