PDA

View Full Version : Best Story About a Coach You'll Read All Year (FCS!)

TexasTerror
March 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM
And he happens to be on the coaching staff of an FCS school - a win-win! Take a few minutes and read. Won't disappoint.

---
If today's Wednesday, Coach Black is firing somebody at Northwestern State. Then again, today could be Thursday or Friday and Coach Black would be firing somebody. He's always firing somebody. But today being Wednesday, and the first day of the Southland Conference basketball tournament, the Northwestern State coach in danger is Mike McConathy. And McConathy knows it.

"Been fired before," McConathy says. "Might get fired again."

Coach Black once fired an assistant women's basketball coach, a poor guy named Bob Austin who forgot to take Coach Black to lunch, by grabbing a grease board and writing the names of everybody he'd rather have in that position. He ran out of room at 37 names.

"He's fired everybody in that athletic department, including the athletics director, several times," says Mississippi State baseball coach John Cohen, who was at Northwestern State from 1998-2001. "I've been fired more than once."

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24479514/best-mind-in-the-college-game-northwestern-states-coach-black

FormerPokeCenter
March 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
And he happens to be on the coaching staff of an FCS school - a win-win! Take a few minutes and read. Won't disappoint.

---
If today's Wednesday, Coach Black is firing somebody at Northwestern State. Then again, today could be Thursday or Friday and Coach Black would be firing somebody. He's always firing somebody. But today being Wednesday, and the first day of the Southland Conference basketball tournament, the Northwestern State coach in danger is Mike McConathy. And McConathy knows it.

"Been fired before," McConathy says. "Might get fired again."

Coach Black once fired an assistant women's basketball coach, a poor guy named Bob Austin who forgot to take Coach Black to lunch, by grabbing a grease board and writing the names of everybody he'd rather have in that position. He ran out of room at 37 names.

"He's fired everybody in that athletic department, including the athletics director, several times," says Mississippi State baseball coach John Cohen, who was at Northwestern State from 1998-2001. "I've been fired more than once."

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24479514/best-mind-in-the-college-game-northwestern-states-coach-black

That is a fantastic story...Too bad we couldn't have recruited him away from Northwestern when his brother signed with McNeese to play football! ;)

ursus arctos horribilis
March 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks for posting TT, that's a great story.

MDUNHfan
March 12th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for posting TT, that's a great story.

THIS!!! I read it twice and it was worth every minute. Thanks for posting.

bonarae
March 12th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Really loved it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tribe4SF
March 13th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Great story. Thanks!

WM2001
March 13th, 2014, 08:12 AM
That was a great story and you told it so well.

TransAmBison
March 13th, 2014, 09:21 AM
That was an awesome story. Thanks a lot for posting it.

Wallace
March 13th, 2014, 09:57 AM
you are a good one JP

Bisonoline
March 16th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks for sharing!!!!

bobcathpdevil56
March 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Great story. Sharing it with all my colleagues who love sports

theasushow
March 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Awesome read!